[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me fitizens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

>I have been taking bjj classes at a local gym. I've been volunteered to do a 30 minute self defense class because they found out I'm a brown belt in judo and not just a fast learner.
>Also got volunteered to do a once a month judo cross training for the bjj class
>By volunteered, I mean was told if I teach these classes I will get my bjj classes for free.
Wat do?
>>
Just do it faggot
>>
>>38640468
What are your qualifications? Who are you supposed to teach?

This sounds sketchy as fuck. Not the Judo cross training, but the self defense part. In Judo you barely qualify to teach once you're black and even then self-defense should be taught by someone who knows what they're talking about.

So either you're much better qualified than you lead on (then why would you ever want to ask this place for advice) or you're way in over your head. The latter also means your gym is probably shit, if they allow this to happen.

I found the Gracie 101 video very neat for some basics of self defense, namely the part about distance and controlling damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGO31XqkevM
>>
Self defense is just about removing yourself from the situation and being faster than the other guy.

Its irresponsible to teach anything else
>>
>>38640533
Nikyu with a USA Judo coaching certification and IJF certified referee.
The self defense part i figure I can do mainly situational awareness stuff and tell people to gtfo because although I have used my judo for self defense it would not have been needed of I wasn't in dumb situations to begin with. But really I don't know.
As for the bjj, I know that the bjj class is a butt scooting class, and I haven't been to a class that has ever been stand up, but I don't know what judo would be useful for a cross train class.
More background, I work in a different city than I live, and I teach a youth judo class and take an adult judo class in the city i commute to. I found out that the gym a block from my house has bjj and a few of the guys in the class regularly win regional competitions so I enrolled last month to check it out.
They regularly do mini classes for the 'platinum' gym members, and that is what the self defense class would be part of.
If I don't do it, then some soccer mom with a self defense DVD will do it.
>>
File: 1451022935461.gif (2MB, 500x205px) Image search: [Google]
1451022935461.gif
2MB, 500x205px
>>38640753

I do BJJ and have decent ground game. My gym has standing wrestling but I haven't yet attended those. I should, as I am not as good standing as I ought to be.

Brown belt in judo is good enough for teaching self-defense etc basics.
>>
File: VgHqr7O.jpg (149KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
VgHqr7O.jpg
149KB, 800x800px
>>38640468
keep gong if you can teach a class bjj while learning bjj you know how to do bjj

>keeping into the bjj rabbit hole
>soon you will reach the 4th lays
>>
>>38640468
>I've been taking bj classes guys
Kek
>>
>>38642167
Well, I know all the moves, but none of the rules, so there is that. I just don't know what information i can present to the bjj class from my judo training that is relevant.
>>
>>38645549
They're having you teach stand up skills. Because they know that BJJ is basically a toy/sport martial art that will get you killed or savagely fucked up or even killed in all but the most unbelievably ideal real world situations.
>>
File: 1434093141327.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1434093141327.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>38640468
bjj bb here. Do the basic Ippon seoi, sasae, uki goshi, tai otoshi, tani otoshi... ko uchi gari/o soto gake combo, and kata guruma (in and reverse)
show them proper breakfall, teach them how to do it correctly so they're not afraid anymore.
Don't neglect morote gari (double leg) and kibitsu gaeshi (single leg variation)
Teach them proper kumikata grip and the basic games around
A little bit of kuzushi, and proper posture breaking and you're set for a year...
If you want something fun, work on your tomoe-nage, yoko tomoe nage. followed by a juji gatame.
If you want to set up a proper curriculum, it's up to you. My pov is just giving them a few more throws in their arsenal, with some follow up.
>>
>>38646111
This makes sense, and something I can do, however, the breakfall skills in the room are for shit so I wouldn't be thrilled about drilling tomoe or Yoko tomoe, or even Tai otoshi.

This was a very helpful post anon, almost as helpful as the poster on /fit/ that told me to order extra spinach and lettuce and throw away the bread so I can save a buck fifty every time I eat at subway.
>>
>>38647470
BJJ blue belt here. Don't be so nervous about teaching because most schools allow the right blue belts to coach.

>>38646111 Is Uchi Mata pretty well taught in most BJJ schools?

For the self defense class, start with fundamentals like break fall, technical lift and safe clinch.

After that just start teaching and drilling sequences from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQHfoGQlxI

Which incorporates many things from stand up, as well as how to escape shitty situation.
>>
>>38647603
Should've added to omit anything related to gi or guard play in that video for self defense.
>>
>>38640753
Stand up is generally not taught to scrubs as the likelihood of injury is quite high.

Once at my gym, we let this white belt spar from standing for the first time. Immediately popped his ACL and we never heard from him again.
>>
Is it common to not ever teach proper ukemi in bjj and always do floor?
>>
>>38646111
I'd agree with this guy for the most part, maybe add Sode Tsurikomiashi, drop seoi nage, and hiza garuma cause I think they're throws that work very well in a BJJ context. Good break falling is probably the most useful thing you can teach them. Do a break fall race like Marcelo Garcia.
>>
>>38640468
what's the problem? just find some topic to work on (it would be good knowing your demographic before hand) and spend 30 minutes focusing on that. you don't need to re-invent the wheel just supervise for half an hour
>>
Gayfag here. Is BJJ good for fondling and 'accidental' touching? I wanna molest some qt grills.

Serious question.
>>
>>38649709
yeah get some face plant acton on titties
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.