[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squat Method - Opposite opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: ripp.png (72KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ripp.png
72KB, 400x400px
I started at the gym today. Before doing so, I've spent a week or two reading Starting Strength, looking at Mark Rippetoe's videos (the ones he did with Art of Manliness and the ones from the official SS channel), etc. I trust his method because to me it seems like he knows the shit he's talking about, and SS is like a biblebook around here, so I don't see why I shouldn't use his method.

But today, I started at the gym and the monitor or however you wanna call it, kept giving me pointers opposite to what Starting Strength says. Examples:

SS:
>Toes pointed out.
>Don't do anything in front of a mirror as it fucks your posture.
>Look down the floor while squatting.
>The back angle should be horizontal to load up the weight. Says there's no health risk while doing so. "Point at the floor with your nipples"
>Don't think about your chest, just about "dragging your ass up and down"
>Don't go too deep, just a bit below the parallel.

Gym monitor:
>Toes straight.
>Do it in front of the mirror.
>Look up to the wall while squatting.
>Your back angle should be straight to avoid injuries.
>Think about straightening up your back while squatting.
>Go down deep.

Is my monitor wrong? Is SS wrong? What should I do?

Starting Strength is just in English and it's not known at my country, so hard to just show him the book.
>>
>>38605886
>Don't do anything in front of a mirror as it fucks your posture.
It's better to squat without a mirror, but it doesn't really matter too much.

>Look down the floor while squatting.
Not what SS says, look at a point foward that's slightly down.

>The back angle should be horizontal to load up the weight. Says there's no health risk while doing so. "Point at the floor with your nipples"
Misinterpreting what SS says, he just wants you to have a slightly smaller angle between the hips and femurs, shouldn't be anything too extreme and if your hips are shooting up first when you squat you're doing it wrong, that's not hip dravh.

>Don't think about your chest, just about "dragging your ass up and down"
You shouldn't do this, "chest up" is a terrible cue and anyone who tells you to do it is bad.
>>
>>38605886
>Toes straight
Very few people have the flexibility to do this, beginners definitely don't. It's a good way to injure yourself. Point your toes out, it's fine.
>Do it in front of the mirror.
Optional. Some people prefer it.
>Look up to the wall while squatting
Head and neck should be neutral/in line with the rest of your spine.
>Your back angle should be straight to avoid injuries
Depends on high bar/low bar, but everyone will have different degrees of lean depending on their proportions. Low bar has more forward lean, find what's comfortable to you. There's definitely too many people propagating that the "back should be completely straight no matter what", because it simply doesn't work for some people.
>Think about straightening up your back while squatting.
Kind of works. I guess a similar cue is pushing your back into the bar when ascending. There are a bunch of cues to pick from, find some that work for you.
>Go down deep.
For high bar you can go lower. You should find a "natural" turning point once you've been squatting for a while.
>>
>look at a point foward that's slightly down.
I know, my mistake by not wording it correctly, I didn't mean looking straight down.

>shouldn't be anything too extreme and if your hips are shooting up first when you squat you're doing it wrong, that's not hip dravh
I don't really understand "hips shooting up", do you mean like if they move first? Then what "order of movements" is the correct?

>>Don't think about your chest, just about "dragging your ass up and down"
>You shouldn't do this, "chest up" is a terrible cue and anyone who tells you to do it is bad.
Not sure if you misread me or I worded it badly. I referred to what he talks about in the first minute or so of this video: https://youtu.be/QhVC_AnZYYM
>>
>>38606095
>I don't really understand "hips shooting up", do you mean like if they move first? Then what "order of movements" is the correct?
Basically when you're at the bottom, your ass shoots up but the bar doesn't really move upwards very much, the angle between your torso and thighs decreases a lot, then to actually complete the lift you're basically doing a good morning. That's where the whole lowbar=goodmorning meme comes from. You want to push so that your back / torso angle stays pretty constant, or a slight decrease. It's fine if you naturally have a small angle between your thighs and torso(happens to people with longer femurs), but it should stay relativity constant throughout the bottom.
>>
>>38605988
>Chest up is a terrible cue
What cue do I use to replace this bad habit of mine anon? glutes up/forward? hip drive?
>>
>>38606369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDVHVohtmE
>>
>>38605886
>toes straight
I don't know why people think this is a good idea. Toes pointed out helps you to shove your knees out at the bottom, which helps you hit depth, and also protects your knees by bringing your adductors into the movement. Adductor involvement also helps you get out of the hole.

>do it in front of the mirror
Bad idea as it distracts you from your alignment, as Rip says.
>look up to the wall
Also stupid - your cervical spine should be neutral to the rest of the spine, otherwise you can look forward to horrible tension headaches as soon as the weight gets heavy.
>your back angle should be straight to avoid injuries.
This is a persistent myth put about by people who don't understand skeletal mechanics. The best explanation anyone can ever give for this is 'it reduces shear forces on the spine and can hurt your lower back.' However, the spine is DESIGNED to accommodate shearing forces in that direction and bringing your low back into the lift STRENGTHENS YOUR LOWER BACK.
>Go down deep
Rip's idea on the squat is to train the LONGEST POSSIBLE RANGE OF MOTION with the HEAVIEST WEIGHT. Low bar has the heaviest weight, and you can't lowbar squat ass to grass without your lumbar spine going into flexion, which fucks it up, and therefore limits the practical range of motion to just below parallel.

Rip is correct - this is a guy who's spent more time analysing the mechanics of the squat and teaching it to people than probably anyone else on earth. He knows his shit and he's used it to make thousands of people very, very strong.

You might find it difficult to explain this to your monitor though because you're fighting against decades of received wisdom. Best you can do is show him the pictures and try and explain the text as best you can.
>>
>>38606155
There's like three reasons your hips shoot up. It could be that your hamstrings aren't taught and you back angle increases to compensate.

>>38605886
They're describing two different ways of squatting. Your "gym monitor" is trying to get you to high bar squat, rip teaches low bar.

High bar has a more vertical back angle and is more quad dominant. Low bar uses your hips.

Just keep the bar over the middle of your feet throughout the lift and you'll be fine, don't carry it too low on your back if you do low bar squat, and don't listen to any faggots who tell you you're going to "snap your shit up".
>>
File: highbarlowbar.png (37KB, 249x195px) Image search: [Google]
highbarlowbar.png
37KB, 249x195px
>>38605886
>>38607872

Low bar squats are better for general strength, that's why rip teaches them, you can squat more weight.

Pic related. Difference in back angle and bar position.
>>
>>38607872
>>38607908
Thanks, I also thought this was a high bar/low bar situation, I'm going to save this image and show it to him tomorrow. Hopefully he understand the way I want to do it. If not, I guess I'll just gently tell him that I'll be good on my own.

Kinda frustrated me today, because I wanted to use the actual bar and rack but he gave me some plastic tube stuff. Like he was scared I'd die on my first set and get into legal trouble or something.
>>
it really depends a lot on your proportions. I have long femurs so theres a big difference on how I squat compared to someone with short femurs
>>
>>38607997
I'm pretty tall.

I'm like 15cm taller than the monitor. So when he kept giving me the cue of "imagine you're going to sit in a stool" when squatting, I almost wanted to tell him that I'd need a higher stool than him to sit naturally.
>>
>>38608013
Read this article it should help you out: http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/picking-the-squat-thats-rght-for-you
>>
>>38605886
Sign up and go right to the Starting Strength Forums. You can post video there and the SS coaches seem very helpful about giving feedback.

That said, I don't care much for the SS lowbar squat form. Maybe it's best for beginners. I don't know.

Go to barbend.com and there's a video on there now of a kid squatting 660 with awesome highbar squat form. Squat like him imho.
>>
>>38607872
>TAUGHT
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 590x722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 590x722px
>>38607908
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.