[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overhead Press

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: how_to_overhead_press.png (82KB, 689x571px) Image search: [Google]
how_to_overhead_press.png
82KB, 689x571px
Been lifting for a while now and something I've been struggling with is overhead press. Specifically I can't work out how to cycle my breathing correctly during the reps. For a while now I have simply been breathing out at the top and in as I lower the bar but I feel like sacrificing the tension in my core as I lower the bar is a bad thing. From what I've read people seem to recommend breathing in and out at the base of the rep and holding it through the motion. To me this seems a little impractical because of how much it spreads your reps out.

So how do you cycle your breathing while doing OHP /fit/?
>>
Exhale at the top inhale at the bottom. Don't know what you mean about the exhaling since my core tightens as I breathe in.
>>
>>38600786
exhale AND inhale at the top while the bar is locked out. You should never be breathing during the bar moving on any of the big compound lifts, it sacrifices intra abdominal pressure
>>
>>38600817
>>38600825
Do you really want to be fucking with your core tension while holding the barbell above your head though? I tend to lose some stability while breathing in/out at the top of the rep.
>>
>>38600840
If you're locked out you're sitting the bar on your lats anyway not the abs. You won't be taking big relaxing breaths in or out, it's just to quickly top up air
>>
>>38600856
I'm currently doing SL5x5 though so I'm jumping straight into OHP after squats and I'm generally quite exhausted. I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing if exhaling at the top isn't fucking me.
>>
>>38600879
Why bother making the thread then?
>>
>>38600879
>asks for advice
>given sensible advice that any competent lifter would agree with
>declares he's going to ignore it

t. never gonna make it
>>
>>38600907
>>38600888
I'm already doing more or less exactly what they recommended. I was if anything asking if breathing in out at the top of the rep is fucking me. If you're going to comment at least read first.
>>
>>38600939
>For a while now I have simply been breathing out at the top and in as I lower the bar but I feel like sacrificing the tension in my core as I lower the bar is a bad thing.

>replies confirm that this is a bad thing

>decides not to change anything at all
>>
>>38600786
Inhale and extend the bar vertically. Exhale at the end of the movement.
>>
>>38600907
>>38600888
>>38600946

My mistake. I missed >>38600825
>You should never be breathing during the bar moving on any of the big compound lifts

So yeah I guess I'll change it up and see how it goes, thank you.
>>
>>38600786
I hold my breath the entire 5 reps. That lets me do 115 on a good day, 110 any day.

When I take one breath per lift, I can manage 85, and it still feels harder. I've been lifting SL for a year.
>>
>>38600983
That being said though that isn't always correct though right? When squatting breathing in as you lower yourself and holding it until you reach the top again is commonly advised.
>>
>>38600983
You exhale when standing during a deadlift
>>
>>38600993
Yeah there is absolutely 0 chance of me being able to do this. I'm simply far to out of breath after doing my squats.
>>
>>38600939
You said you were breathing in as you lower the bar. That's all kinds of retarded.

As that other anon said, it doesn't matter if you breathe at lockout because your ab contraction isn't the only thing holding up the bar (your lats and traps are.)

if you're breathing in any direction on the way up or down, your abs aren't working to their fullest and you're in a weakened position.

Hundreds of thousands of lifters follow squats with presses in their routines. Correct breathing works the same way for all of them. If you wanna be a snowflake about it that's fine, but don't say nobody warned you when you fuck up.
>>
>>38601006
Lol no it isn't.

Breathe, lift, breathe again. Don't try to inhale while lifting.
>>
>>38601006
Think about it. You have 300lbs on your back and you lower yourself without bracing, is it a good idea?

>>38601023
Yes and no. You exhale only a bit so you dont faint but not that much so you lose tension.
>>
>>38601035
My mistake again then. I misinterpreted this:
>Breathing. Big breath at the top. Hold it at the bottom. Exhale at the top.
Read more: http://stronglifts.com/squat/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.