[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INTERMITTENT FASTING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

File: eugen sandow.jpg (120KB, 880x765px) Image search: [Google]
eugen sandow.jpg
120KB, 880x765px
Redpill me
>>
>>38575160
It's not a hard concept of your not fully fucking retarted, you only eat for a few hours then fast the rest of the day.
>>
>>38575169
>you only eat for a few hours
You mean scarf everything down in less than twenty minutes.
>>
>>38575160
No real science behind it, but it's what works for some people.
>>
>>38575190
I mean there are no set limits on it, some people fast for 18 hours some for 23 hours. Depends on what you want or works best.
>>
>>38575195
Oh. ok.
So is it bullshit?
tried it for two days now, feels okay, I don't really get hungry until 13:00 so I just start eating there.
>>
>>38575229
I do it most days, former fatass here, so I like eating large portions
>>
>>38575259
Is it working?
Does it feel healthy?
>>
Drastically spiking your blood sugar and then letting it crash for prolonged periods of time before spiking it suddenly again is how you get diabetes.
>>
>>38575287
But if you go into ketosis, it doesn't. Right?
>>
>>38575160
to me it feels fucking awesome. a godsent gift.

the 6 small meals a day meme was always a chore in any aspect. with IF almost all cravings decreased. i do it with a lacto vegetarian diet and feel great.

but everybody is different.
>>
>>38575299
wrong.
>>
>>38575332
Why is it wrong?
Do you have any resources I could read up on?
>>
>>38575405
not only carbs spike insulin you dumb ketofag besides that keto literally make you more insulin resistant eventually giving you diabetes

theres a reason why high carb diets cure type 2 diabetes
>>
>>38575427
What's that reason fitget
>>
>>38575439
protein spikes insulin
higher fat diet kills pancreatic cells that produce insulin
spiking insulin isnt necesarrily bad

to reverse diabetes you actually would need to eat high carb and low in the rest
>>
I hate the fact that ''spiking insulin'' has become a new meme

Insulin is a great anabolic hormone theres a reason why bodybuilders INJECT insulin. Insulin literally builds muscle you dumb faggots
>>
>>38575427
You can eat high carb, and still go into ketosis.
When the carbs are used up after fasting you begin to burn your fat.
>>
>>38575466
thats not the same as ketosis
>>
>>38575455
>protein spikes insulin
>higher fat diet kills pancreatic cells that produce insulin
>spiking insulin isnt necesarrily bad

didn't know that.
Do you have any good resources you would like to share?

>to reverse diabetes you actually would need to eat high carb and low in the rest

what do you mean by low in the rest?
>>
>>38575475
so what's the difference?
>>
>>38575478
I'm not sharing any resources. They're from my scientific carb society; YOU are NOT a member.
>>
>600-1000 calories breakfast
>Work or school during the day
>600-1000 calorie dinner

Feels really good. Most people skip breakfast, but I'm busy during the day so I eat a breakfast and then skip lunch.
>>
File: 1472935473623.png (93KB, 250x237px)
1472935473623.png
93KB, 250x237px
>>38575490

How can I become a member?
>>
>>38575478
protein and insulin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6389060
fats and insulin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC507380/
http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(12)00453-6

spiking insulin=gains
>>
>>38575542
Thanks.

>spiking insulin=gains
So shouldn't I worry about spiking insulin?
>>
>>38575229
I'd say give it a shot for 2-3 weeks and see how it feels.

I lost 2-3 kg's in a few months while improving my lifts doing IF and taking amino acids while training. As other anons say, your experience may vary.
>>
>>38575229
It has helped me lose a ton of weight but I know for a fact that it doesn't suit a lot of people.

Try it for a month and decide for yourself if it suits you. I recommend to do at least 18 hours of fasting per day and don't forget to drink because keeping yourself hydrated is really important (I mean, it always is but even more so when you're fasting).

I've also heard it's great for lean bulking but I don't have any personal experience with it so I can't say.
>>
>>38575585
I'm pretty skinny already, so it might not work for me. But I'm gonna try it out and see how it works.
>>
>>38575160
causes ibs
>>
>>38575649
>causes ibs
How?
>>
File: 1472237563804.jpg (46KB, 600x589px) Image search: [Google]
1472237563804.jpg
46KB, 600x589px
>>38575427
>theres a reason why high carb diets cure type 2 diabetes

every fucking day in /fit/ the broscience appears
>>
File: 1472873563168.jpg (12KB, 300x300px)
1472873563168.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>38575649
>trying to think if I was diagnosed with IBS or started IF first
>>
I've been doing alternate day fasting for about a week for weight loss since I'm a fatass. Put off about 3 pounds and some change so far.
>>
>>38575554

yes, go eat tons of sugar with nothing else and watch your body cuck itself.
>>
>>38575721
That would not be normal.
I know that eating lots of refined sugar is literally cancer.
>>
>>38575668
I do know the specifics, but it happened to my uncle
>>
>>38575782
so I couldn't know for sure
>>
>>38575229
It's not bullshit.

There is science behind it. It's obviously not a wonder pill, but there have been studies that show that "Fasting" in one form or another has many benefits.

But if that's really relevant for you is a different question.

The most important thing is probably that it helps with calorie restriction.
>>
>>38575270
Ya or I wouldn't do it Kek. Eat a shit ton of carbs before working out then a lot of protons after then fast the rest of the day
>>
I recently watched this video by Dr. Jason Fung.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
It explains the conceptual logic behind fasting and the fat loss pretty well. My main beef is the study that shows that muscle loss is not a concern under fasting conditions. It is not clear to me if that is for obese subjects or it also extends to leaner subjects, as well.
He released this article to expand on it for people interested.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/
>>
>>38575506
>1200-2000 cals
Unless youre a five foot girl and try to bulk youre doing everything wrong
>>
>>38575160
>>38575160
I tried this by the book last year while trying to lose weight. Would have my first meal at 3pm every day, and that would be a small, low carb meal (some turkey breast roll, eggs and some pickles).

I did this for a whole year while exercising 4x per week (3x lifting, 1x cardio session) and I lost fuckall weight.

Then in December I started tracking my calories. Did some calculations for my height and weight and started consistently cutting 300 calories a day. Kept my diet lower carb, but started having breakfast again (eggs and cheese).

I've lost 18 pounds in 8 months. So IF didn't work for me, and in fact I think it might slow down your metabolism. Digestion also uses calories in and of itself.

So yeah, you might not want to waste too much time on this one if it doesnt produce results quick.
>>
>>38577104
maybe do IF while counting your calories you smartass
>>
>>38578582
whats the point of IF if you need to count your calories aswell
>>
>>38578605
to get the benefits of the fasting? Duuuh
>>
>>38575160
I got to learn about IF thanks to a book on testosterone.

The book mentioned a Circadian Cycle. I still dont completely understand the lore of it, but apparently cortisol is higher in the morning, and somehow eating and working out while that thing is high is not good for you.

So the book theorizes that IF is therefore good for your test if you do IF.

Also, IF may be the only form of fasting that wont trigger a longer term cortisol response in regards to the lack of food, as it is below 24 hours in length.

If you want the book, its here, read through it if you want to.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wg4jf9

Its just a pdf by the way, just scan it if you are so worried.
>>
>>38577104
calorie counting is still required you actual mess
>>
I wasn't working out much during this time period, so I can't say how it affects gym performance, but when I went on vacation recently we were going out to dinner every night, and my family can't eat for shit so they'd all order too much and give me part of their food. I'd end up eating 2000+ calories every night just for dinner, and to balance it out I would skip breakfast and lunch. So basically I was doing a 23 hour fast every day, and I felt pretty fine because I had the big meal the previous night to last me. It's certainly doable, and supposedly has health benefits. I think I'm going to start fasting more often because I do feel more mentally energetic.
>>
>>38579389
well not eating would obviously effect gym performance

anyone who says it doesnt is straight up lying
>>
>>38579424
no no no you see that's when you inject dissolved ephedrine into the large vein on your penis and blast squats to kpop for 120% max RM

then you get home and slam down 3000 calories of carbs and protein to hit that insulin window

saiyan gains
>>
>>38575160
Best thing ever imho, but i'm a former fatty so that's why i like it so much, fatties appetite never dies
>>
>>38579424

Yeah you're right, but I still don't understand why so many people train fasted then.
>>
>>38575229

fasting increases the body's production of HGH and aids in muscle growth, provided you ate enough food before and after the fast
>>
>>38579547
>>38579424

i prefer to train fasted, especially the heavy compound lifts

the movements are anaerobic anyway, no reason to need blood sugar
>>
File: 1439138927676.jpg (35KB, 299x374px)
1439138927676.jpg
35KB, 299x374px
>>38579587
>the movements are anaerobic anyway, no reason to need blood sugar
pls be bait
>>
>>38579587

Blood sugar stays constant throughout a fast (unless you have the beetus). It's muscle glycogen that gets depleted while fasting. And we know that muscle glycogen gets depleted during resistance training. So it would be reasonable to say that fasted training hurts performance.
>>
>>38576172
I'm a guy losing weight.
>>
>>38575169
As it stands I eat well under 800kcal in a single meal every day. This could be a tin of tuna and lettuce or red cabbage, mackerel fillets, vegetable soup with a slice of wholegrain bread or I'll be disgusting and eat an entire 150g pack of milano salami. Often if I'm depressed I'll eat nothing at all and just drink water for 3 days twice a month. I'm significantly overweight.
>>
you fast and pray to get closer to the lord anon. Not to live in vanity with your obnoxious roid muscles

be blessed in jesus name
>>
>>38575287
>le
>>
>>38579603
>he failed cellular biology

>>38579613

In my experience training has a much more profound anabolic effect when fasted. I prefer to lift in the morning after drinking a cup of black coffee on an empty stomach, and then eat after. I never lift on a full stomach
>>
>>38579613
It does.

My numbers on all compounds are laughable yet they still take a hit when training fasted
>>
>>38575649
>>38575287
Can confirm. I'm 23, my digestive system and metabolism is fucked and my blood sugar is all over the damn place. I'm struggling to get myself used to the idea of eating more regularly when I feel so internally sluggish.
>>
>>38579848
what is glycolysis

mate its not even hard to grasp
>>
>>38575169
I think you've pretty much nailed it, people tend to overtime it. All it is, is a tool that you can use to lose weight, or sometimes gain weight, that makes it easier to control your calorie intake by only eating at certain times of the day.

Another thing people don't realize is that you still need to track your calories for the most part. If you fast for 20hrs and then get home and stuff your face until you fall asleep it's the same as if you didn't fast at all.

All in all it is mainly just a tool to control your eating, I won't go into the "insulin sensitivity" and other benefits of it because I haven't don't enough research that I can really say anything on that.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.