[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to choose a gym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: oPpthk6.png (56KB, 1049x943px) Image search: [Google]
oPpthk6.png
56KB, 1049x943px
Hey /fit/

I'm in my final year of uni and I've finally managed to settle into a decent paying job. A long term goal of mine has been to get into fitness and lifting, but was never really able to afford the extra food or gym memberships. Anyway, after a painful breakup I've finally decided to get swole.

Anyway, I'm looking at all the gyms in my city (Wellington, NZ if it helps) and I have no idea who to go with. What should I look out for? What are reasonable prices? Should I go for a 12 month contract or pay extra to have it monthly? Any help is appreciated

Thanks /fit/, I hope I'll be seeing more of you
>>
File: 1470905175845.jpg (98KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470905175845.jpg
98KB, 678x960px
Squat rack, plenty of barbell, oly platform, some dumbbells, stretching area. If it doesn't allow certain lifts/use of chalk it's a no go.
>>
File: 1471929431415.jpg (17KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
1471929431415.jpg
17KB, 400x333px
b-bumpin for interest
>>
>>38551157
>Should I go for a 12 month contract
lol, no. the "girlfriend left me so I'll get swole" mentality is even sadder than the new years resolutioners. you'll probably get sick of it within 2 months, so don't get yourself into a shill contract
>>
>>38551168
>Basing the decision for baby's first gym based on whether he can use chalk
Damn
>>
>>38551157
>What are reasonable prices

I pay £22.99 a month for a 30 day rolling contract.

Gym is pretty basic, no pool, 2 smiths 1 Olympic platform 2 squat racks, machines, cables and about 300 treadmills

I knew a guy at my old job who paid £60+ a month for membership

Don't do that
>>
>>38552798
I dunno, I know plenty of females who decided to get thin after being dumped and actually succeeded. Just depends on how easily distracted some people are I think. And if he can go consistently for 2 months, hopefully he'll start developing habits.

I started with a 12 month membership OP, if anything, dropping that much money in one sitting while I was 20, and poor af, just made me want to work out more since I absolutely hate wasting money. And that was with a shitty $6 a month gym.
>>
>>38553060
>$6 a month
W-what
What did they have?
>>
File: Gym-floor-Free-weights-area.jpg (93KB, 534x356px) Image search: [Google]
Gym-floor-Free-weights-area.jpg
93KB, 534x356px
>>38551157
pick whatever is closest to you to minimize excuses. however there are a few things that you should make sure
-at least one squat rack, preferrably two minimum.
-lots of dumb bells and allocated "free weight" space to use them in with benches (not bench press but just gym benches) but also simple open space
-good air circulation, not too hot, lots of oxygen (this is often overlooked yet maybe the most important)
-good maintenance, shit is not falling apart
-opening hours (I prefer 24/7 gyms, but just make sure the hours won't become an issue or another excuse "oh it'll close in 60 minutes I'll go tomorrow")
if these aren't met I'd move to the second closest one until you find a proper one. really shouldn't be too much to ask though and likely these needs will be met in any proper gym
>Should I go for a 12 month contract or pay extra to have it monthly?
I would buy a month or two and then if you're satisfied you can sign up for the year if it's noticably cheaper. If not then just keep paying monthly. stuff like air quality is really hard to judge before you actually work out there yourself and you might notice things you don't like about it.
>>
>>38553073
Mostly treadmills/bikes/ellipticals, like 2 rowing machines, 2 steppers. Weight room was like 90% machines, like 3 benches and a single squat rack. Wasn't bad for starting out though.

Last I heard they upped their monthly charge to like 10 bucks.
>>
>>38553109
That's really not that bad for that price.

I guess it was full of middle aged fatties doing cardio?
>>
>>38553125
Yeah pretty much, it was in a poorer area of the city with a lot of hispanics, so it ranged from chubby/fat people trying to get thin, to the mexican equivalent of dudebros who crowd the only goddamn squat rack.

Honestly the one squat rack is the biggest reason I quit.
>>
>>38553041
>I knew a guy at my old job who paid £60+ a month for membership
the chain of gyms my sister worked for as a receptionist (and thus got a free membership) cost fucking 80€
I never set foot inside but she said they were just regular gyms. meanwhile I'm paying 19,90€ a month for a chain of 24/7 gyms where I can go work out at any of the locations at any time

but guess which one advertises on TV and gets all the middle aged ladies that sign up in january
>>
>>38551157
Where abouts in Wellington are you? How about cityfitness? it's $7/week on a 12 month contract. You can either pay the total amount upfront or pay weekly/fortnightly/monthly?
Also you can use other City Fitness gyms around incase you can't go to your main one.

Get back to me OP
>>
>>38553140
But senpai dudebros never squat.
>>
>>38551157
Come to powerhouse on taranaki street my man, we'll see ya right.
>>
>>38553177
Yeah, apparently they just like to have a loaded up barbell, then stand around and talk.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.