[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is bodybuilding "healthy"? Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 3

File: _20160901_084638.jpg (139KB, 989x1046px) Image search: [Google]
_20160901_084638.jpg
139KB, 989x1046px
Is bodybuilding "healthy"?

Discuss.
>>
three
>>
ur mums healthy
>>
No

The body can only handle 2500 calories a day
>>
>>38537566
I don't know anon, how healthy are you?
>>
>>38537574
fifty
>>
>>38537566
No, it's just building your body for the sake of building your body. The only time you actually use that extra muscle is to lift more weights and get more muscle. It's self fulfilling and the usage in real world is negligible. There is a reason it's it's functional vs aesthetics
>>
>>38537566
no

but fitness is
>>
>>38537586
8/10
>>
>>38537592
What the fuck did I just read? You do know that skeletal muscle significantly alters your metabolism right?
>>
>>38537605
Anaerobic muscle mass adds nothing to health.
Barely anything to TDEE either.

Healthy muscles are those that are obtain through aerobic exercising, aka high reps or long durations.
>>
>>38537605
You know functional strength > aesthtic muscles. Body building centers around looks, not function
>>
>>38537611
Keep trolling.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://scholar.google.com/scholar_url%3Furl%3Dhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC296885/pdf/jcinvest00077-0051.pdf%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26scisig%3DAAGBfm1G9dEr7hhh6O7lj4E33oSbykt9WA%26nossl%3D1%26oi%3Dscholarr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiugMmB3O3OAhVO4WMKHVHvAgoQgAMIHCgCMAA&usg=AFQjCNFTyPRwcB7F4uiCSfDA5chIfhbCrg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17008303
>>
>>38537611
You need cardio and strength. Fast and slow twitch muscles.
>>
>>38537586
Back to >>>/sci/
>>
>>38537583
The more healthy muscle mass your body has, the more it's capable of burning tho
>>
>>38537833
But what about diabetes
>>
Lifting is not healthy.
Your body is not designed for this.
Taking protein shakes, creatine and other steroids are bad for health and causes cancer.
>>
Lifting pushes the limits of your body, it needs to adapt by making gigantic amounts of new cells, digest more food, deal with the micro muscles tears .. There is no way it is healthy in the long term but the gains of being fit makes it worth, you will enjoy life more being young and fit, who give a shit about being decrepit when old ?
>>
>>38537566
Natural hobby bodybuilding yes
Pro drugged up bodybuilding no
>>
Healthier than the average anglo western lifestyle? Yes.

Healthier than a normal fitness enthusiast? Of course not.
>>
If you have a clean diet, stay away from roids and ensure you get some form of aerobic exercise in conjunction with your lifting, then yes.

If you're a dirty bulking roider, the obviously not.
>>
>>38537566
maybe its not healthier than walking all day, doing some cardio for 30 minutes every other day and eating mostly vegan with some animal protein from fish and poultry thrown in here and there, with also no stress on the body and the mind.

but its certainly much healthier than the average modern human lifestyle
>>
>>38537566
Roiding/mad heavy cal diets/perma bulk/etc. is not good for your health period.

Pushing the limits of your body the way it is, including aerobic routine once in a while, balanced, but rich diet and heavy, but slowly progressing exercise - good and health.

My spine got way better. Scoliosis and rounded back ceased to exist.
>>
>>38537870
Muscle increases insulin sensitivity which lowers diabetes risk. You still need cardio though.
>>
>>38537881
Literally throw your computer out the window right now. That troll attempt sucked donkey scrotum.
>>
>>38537611
lol, i love fit

checked
>>
>>38538485
It's the libraries computer though
>>
Unless you dont juice your organs away yes. Muscles stabilize your bones/body and you dont get hurt that fast if youre having an accident.
>>
>>38537566
That arm is photoshopped.

If you look up the guy in the pic he's so much smaller.
>>
>>38538528
Your body doesn't naturally produce 40% more muscle mass though. Cells can only divide so many times before they die off so keeping maintenance now becomes crucial or you body reverts back to a healthy state
>>
>>38538548
>naturally
>reverts back
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Cars are also unnatural. Internet is also unnatural. Not dying from the measles or a cold is unnatural. Wearing clothing is unnatural. I'm just demonstrating how wrong your logic is.
>>
>>38538588
If I understand what he is trying to say is that if you use gear to reach an un natty level of muscle mass your body will revert to a natty level unless you keep using gear to be able to maintain that "un natty" muscle mass
Not so much an "appeal to nature" more of a "this is how your body works"
>>
/fit/ vastly underrates cardiovascular and aerobic exercise. I seriously hope you guys do a form of exercise outside of lifting, like cardio or sports on the side. Whole body coordination and endurance are actually pretty important for a health body.
>>
You can't be healthy without cardio
>>
>>38538588
If you drive your car at max settings then it's gonna need far more maintenance lest signs of wear break it.

Sure it can go 180 but keeping it there isn't what the car manufacturers suggest
>>
>>38538644
/fit/ wants the fastest results for the biggest muscles. Health is just an added benefit
>>
>>38537611
HAHAHAHA "aerobic muscle" give me a break.
>>
>>38537566
One of the recognised theories of why we age is to do with the quantity we eat. The process of metabolising food leads to free radicals and accumulated damage to our dna. This is separate to the health issues of being fat.
>>
>>38537566

Bodybuilding for the sake of it is not healthy or unhealthy physically. In terms of health, I think it speaks more to mental well being (or lack thereof).
>>
>>38538773
> asking for a break

Never gonna make it
>>
If the type of building is associated with THAT pic, no, especially long term.

Weightlifting is healthy IMO.
>>
File: 1447002729044.jpg (44KB, 776x602px) Image search: [Google]
1447002729044.jpg
44KB, 776x602px
>>38538644
>I seriously hope you guys do a form of exercise outside of lifting
>>
>>38538516
Got me there, damn it.
>>
>>38538795
What the fuck are you talking about /r9k/?
>>
>>38538516
not at all surprised a DYEL faggot wouldn't be able to afford his own computer
>>
>>38537566
does any one else think that physique looks impressive but unaesthetic?

dont tell me its shopped i know that already
>>
>>38537566
"Hobbybuilding" i deem very healthy. It gives you:
Strength
Conditioning
A balanced and good diet
Higher Self Esteem (unless you obsess about getting STACKED N RIPPED BRAH and stay out of body dysmorphia zone)

Modern Pro bodybuilding, while still giving you the above things, also promotes:
Drug abuse (might be only slight drug use if genetics are exceptional)
Body dysmorphia
Unhealthy eating (cutting the last BF%'s are NOT healthy for your body)

Fuck modern bodybuilding, real oldschool bodybuilders (1950's and older) used to be about the healthiest people you could find. Today tho, fuck no.
>>
>>38537566
isn't life extancy reduced by calorie intake? The longest living people in the world have some belly fat (improves immunity), only do cardio and mostly eat vegetables and cereal
>>
>>38539214
living the longest is not a measurement of health
>>
>>38539214
seen some things that suggests after turning 40, you should half your meat intake

but high meat intake before age 40 is beneficial
>>
File: 4.jpg (120KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
120KB, 610x610px
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long
>>
>>38537592
Implying you are going to use functional strength 99% of the time. Unless youre a labourer thats being made to lift shit all day or a fighter, the only use of being able to bench 100kg is bragging rights.
>>
>>38539659
That's litterally what the person said that you quoted.
What the fuck mate
>>
>>38539214
Living long is first and overall genetics.
>>
>>38539659
what about that 1%? when somebody asks you to help them move or you decide to build yourself a shed or whatever? it's sure nice to be able to lift heavy things then
>>
>>38539718
Implying a bodybuilder cant do what you listed
>>
>>38537586
I think that's a really loaded question.
>>
>>38537566
Depends on what you mean by healthy quite frankly.

Powerlifting and weightlifting is definitely healthy for joint health, bone/tendon longevity and so on. All of it might reduce your lifespan a bit, but who really gives a shit about that.
>>
>>38539236

>a living person is not more healthy than a dead person
>>
That's such a wide topic that you might as well discuss running marathons and running to a store to get a beer as one.

Competing on top level will fuck you up, no discussion. Whether it is weightlifting or powerlifting, or even bodybuilding, your joints can only certain amount of stress. If you want to win anything, you will have to push yourself beyond safety limits. And that's just joints, not mentioning steroids or anything.

On a basic level, yes. Bodybuilding is generally safer than strengh-based lifts, so you will likely benefit from your brosplit routine.
>>
>>38539872
>Living for 80 years as an obese person in a wheelchair with diabetes and heart problems is healthier than living for 79 years as a person that's more physically fit than 90% of the population.
>>
>>38539964
That's not the guy that lives the longest, it's autistic betas like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEAejwYBiIE

How to live long:
>block test
>eat almost nothing
>nothing but cardio (moderately)
>autistically count micros and calories
>stay inside most of the time you're not doing cardio
>etc. etc.
>>
>>38537566
obviously taking roids is not the optimal thing for your body's health and to be a bodybuilder you have to take steroids
>>
>>38537566
Natural bodybuilding - yes.
The abomination that is pro bodybuilding - no.
It's simple. When you start using gear, your body starts making changes. And those changes will fuck you if you go off the gear.
>>
>>38539868
Why would it reduce lifespan?
>>
>>38537574
Proteins
>>
>>38539964
Obese people in wheelchairs with diabetes and heart problems do not live to 80

Someone who is more physically fit than 90% of the population is probably going to see 80
>>
>>38538795
No it doesn't. Most bodybuilders, and especially /fit/, have body dysmorphia.
>>
>>38537566
No
And the more competitive you are, the less healthy it gets.
>>
>>38540755
Example of this is MasT.

Guy looks fucking awful and is way too big but all he wants to do is get bigger.
>>
>>38539964
fit =/= healthy anon

World class athletes are beyond fit. But they, for the most part, are not particularly healthy.

I wish you people would understand that.
>>
>>38538869

it's fucking true though. doing some form of cardio will actually benefit your lifting by improving your endurance, ability to recover, etc.

if you really think doing 2 hours of running, biking, swimming, playing soccer, etc. every week will negatively impact your lifting then you are deluded
>>
Not really
Working out is since we have no other source of being in shape anymore since manual labor jobs aren't as numerous or accessible as they used to be
Bodybuilding is not what we evolved to be and it's definitely not healthy for our bodies for multiple reasons
>>
nah it's not even very fit
>>
>>38540638
Added muscle mass, increased BP from muscle tissue, test might have an influence on lifespan, there is indication that calorie restriction has an influence etc. etc.
>>
>>38539613
more like a third in his case
>>
Why is the word healthy in quotes? Are you retarded?
>>
carrying a shitload of mass is not healthy for your heart in the long run, but as a natty you'll never have to worry about it so why not..
>>
the more calories you consume the more your cells divide. The more your cells divide the shorter your telomeres get. when your telomeres get to short you die.
>>
>>38544295
S-source?
>>
>>38544432
It's true

People who eat at a slight deficit all their life live longer
>>
>>38544488
The more breaths a person takes, the closer they are to dieing, amirite? Just sayin friendo
>>
>>38544432
some science thing i read when my dog died and i was curious as to why things age and die.

Google telomere and death if you are curious. It seemed the most popular theory at the moment.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.