[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rock Climbing Tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: first event.jpg (186KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
first event.jpg
186KB, 960x720px
Taking a rock climbing course at Uni for a Phys Ed credit. I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I want to start doing it much more. Anyone have any tips/advice as far as rock climbing? what kind of exercises would help my finger strength? what kind of diet is good for this kind of exercise? also general rock climbing thread. pic unrelated
>>
OP here, I guess push ups, pull ups, and squats are good for this? I don't really know how to exercise, never been in a gym. In shape though. just not sure what i should do to help my rock climbing ability. i also know that a lot of climbing is based on technique, and my instructor says i have great technique as a beginner.
>>
come on /fit/
pls
>>
>>38530764
>I guess push ups, pull ups, and squats are good for this?
yes, especially pull ups
>>
>>38530726
Wow, how did they get a ww2 picture like that? I thought color film hadn't been invented yet.
>>
>>38531424
it had, but this is actually secret nazi digital photography
>>
I do wwii reenactments. Im the german all the way on the right. So pull ups are real important, anything else?
>>
>>38530726
Where are you taking it at? I think I'm also going to do rock climbing at my school, but I'm just going to go through the safety course and do it on my own time instead.
>>
my uni has a climbing gym, but there are two gyms off campus that i go to as well. All of the climbing i do is indoors at the moment.
>>
Been bouldering for quite a while now and joining mountaineering society next year

Full body strength is needed for rock climbing, every muscle gets worked out and the harder climbs will have you supporting your entire weight with fingertips and the tips of your feet

Best starting excerizes is pull ups and chin ups and moving on to wide grip once youre capable

For core I recommend planks, squats, and deadlifts, I cannot stress core stability enough

Cardios useful af to keep yourself going on those higher walls

Rock climbing is an underrated excersize, that pump when you tackle a difficult section of wall is amazing, I wish you the best of luck!
>>
>>38532911
thanks man! I'll write all this down. How often a week would you say i should do these exercises? i plan on doing some climbing every day
>>
>>38530726
Regarding finger strength (which is, in fact, more than half of what you need to improve rapidly): I assume you are doing the training at some climbing / bouldering gym. Find the campus board there (a wooden construnction with various grip bars. The more advanced people will use it to do climbing pullups. take the hardest grip bar (one that barely has room for your fingertips), stand firmly on the ground and (while still standing on the ground) grab the lowest of the grips. now get a hold of the next higher bar and lift your upper body as high as possible with your feet on the ground and "climb" back down. Repeat for 5 - 10 cycles at the end of each climbing session.
>>
>>38532978
Depends, id shoot for three times a week but i dont see any harm in doing a different muscle group excersizes most days of the week with a couple of rest days

I normally go the gym twice a week and go bouldering for my third workout so you'll likely improve a lot faster than me

As >>38533063 said your climbing centre will almost definitely have a practice area, generally this comprises of each kind of hold and some finger strength trainers (pieces of wood you can only the tips of your fingers on, practice climbing them, itll be incredibly hard to start with)

Some of the better practice areas ive seen have rings and places to practice balance aswell, just find out what works best for you and ask what other people are doing, I always meet friendly people at these places
>>
>>38533063
>>38533192
thank you both, I can't wait to get into this new hobby
>>
>>38530726
Bodyweight shit for a lot of reps. Also, just eat a lot, you'll burn a lot if you climb a lot. /out/ might be a better place for this desu
>>
just gonna post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYhX5xyprw

hope you do well, ive always liked watching this sort of thing and its a shame its not more popular.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.