[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help in setting up a routine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: x-ray.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
x-ray.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
So /fit/, my girlfriend has scoliosis and as you can see (pic related) she has had a spinal fusion surgery and still has a fair amount of curvature mostly in the mid back. This has also resulted in a bit of kyphosis in the upper back. The surgery was years ago and her doc cleared her for physical activity.

This has caused her to adopt a sedentary lifestyle but she wants to change that, so I've taken up to helping her out.

Her posture is mostly something that can't be helped but what is usually done in these cases is to strengthen the core muscles surrounding the spine. She also wants to develop legs because aesthetics (I don't think putting pressure from above would be wise though, so no barbell squats, and I'm not sure about deadlifts, perhaps further ahead if/when her core is much stronger, since I've read about people with spinal fusion and curvature doing deadlifts) and sometimes gym trainers tend to not really know how to deal with these cases so I'm helping her make a routine that will make her stronger and fitter without herniating her discs.

So far I've come up with this:

Day "A"

Warm-up:

-Mid trap stretch exercise on floormat
-arm slides on wall
-bicycle crunches
-Plank

Workout:

-Reverse machine flyes
-Rowing machine pull
-Lower trapezius dumbell raise
-Weighted step-ups
-Glute cable raise
-Hamstring machine
-Leg extension machine

Day "B"

Warm-up

-Scapular pushups
-Overhead press (with a stick, to activate traps and neck muscles)
-Quadruped arm/leg raise
-Plank

Workout:

-Lat pulldown
-Dumbell rows
-Reverse machine flyes
-tricep pushdowns
-Leg press machine

With standard ABA BAB day switch. Can you think of anything else, or something I might be fucking up with? Any recommendations on specific stretches after this, or any general input?

Thanks /fit/
>>
File: prone lower trapezius raise.png (81KB, 459x352px) Image search: [Google]
prone lower trapezius raise.png
81KB, 459x352px
Bump
>>
File: black-woman-attitude_4523.jpg (26KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
black-woman-attitude_4523.jpg
26KB, 320x263px
>>38530661
OP is your girlfriend Sassy Black Woman?
>>
>>38530661
I've heard, without any confirmed sources, that ab wheels can be beneficial for people with scoliosis.

Again, I stress this has not been confirmed. Do some research or ask more knowledgeable people than myself, but if it does help would be worth it.

Best of luck to your girl OP.
>>
I don't think /fit/ is qualified to answer this
>>
>>38531492

I'll look into it, makes sense since it can be a fairly intense core workout that also targets other muscles with no impact. Thanks a lot!

>>38531515
Well there used to be a couple of knowledgeable people back in the day so I figured I'd post and see what's up.
>>
>>38531515
This. /fit/ is to discuss roids and broscience
>>
>>38530661
Bump

Yesterday i did a ray x exam and found out i had scoliosis aswell, this came in great timing
>>
File: 1470427727357.gif (4MB, 441x320px) Image search: [Google]
1470427727357.gif
4MB, 441x320px
>>38531595
>there used to be a couple of knowledgeable people back in the day
>2016
>>
>>38533884
Well it depends on what degree of scoliosis you have. I'm being extra careful because my gf has had a spinal fusion surgery, but perhaps you should avoid barbell squats as well.

I don't know about deadlifts, try seeking experience from people who had varying degrees of scoliosis on the internet.

But most of all strengthen your core muscles, all the muscles surrounding your spine so that if you can't correct your curvature, at least make sure your spine doesn't get injured or deviated further.

I've also seen cases of people correcting very minor scoliosis with foam rollers, maybe check into that and most of all be careful and measure yourself, be honest about what you can lift and what you can't do, but don't sell yourself short either.
>>
I fucked a girl with scoliosis once. Her back looked hella weird when I pounded her doggystyle.
>>
>>38534684
if she had a significant enough spinal curvature to warrant corrective surgery, I'd be leery of performing any compoud movement which places a compressive load on her spine. I'd say things like heavy standing OHP, and squats would be out of the picture

Your girlfriend could still get glute gains from heavy glute bridges, cable kickbacks, lunges or split squats. I'd sub cable pull throughs for deadlifts. There's also this device called a hip lift which attaches a harness to your hips and allows you to progressively overload on a squatting motion, without loading the spine - they arent available in most gyms though.

for upper body I'd focus on a horizontal row, vertical row, then midback isolations/scapular strengthening like you have.
>>
>>38534959
I'd do something like this maybe

Lower A
glute bridges
cable pull throughs
split squats/lunges
quad/ham isolations
paloff press/planks/"stirring the pot"

Upper A
staggered stance cable chest press with a + (kind of like your serratus punch thing you wrote, just standing and able to progressively overload)
DB press/DB bench
vertical pull (pullups/LPD)
horizontal pull (bent over rows if non-provoking, otherwise a machine)
bi/tris

then I'd repeat this twice a week, with maybe switching to a more anterior chain dominant movement on Leg day B vs doing bridges first
>>
>>38534959
>>38535041

This is all great stuff, thanks a bunch.

>I'd be leery of performing any compoud movement which places a compressive load on her spine. I'd say things like heavy standing OHP, and squats would be out of the picture

Yeah precisely.

I hadn't thought about substituting deadlifts with cable pull throughs, that's a great suggestion, thank you very much.

Also hadn't thought of glute bridges. Probably will suggest it once her core is stronger and can withstand it.

What's a hip lift? Is it like a belt? Never heard of it.

Thanks again!
>>
>>38534959
This. She should build a program with a physiotherapist (probably wrong word, but you know what I mean). The surgeon should be able to recommend someone or they'll have those services in-house. I'm surprised she wasn't given specific exercises to do.
>>
File: sco.jpg (177KB, 979x887px) Image search: [Google]
sco.jpg
177KB, 979x887px
>>38530661
Wow, and there I thought having minor scolio was bad.
>>
>>38535339
Always count your blessings brah
>>
>>38530661
It's a good thing Lamar gant stayed away from any exercises that loaded his spine or else he wouldn't have pulled the highest percentage body weight dead lift of all time, it might have caused issues with his scoliosis lol
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.