[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/run/ - Running General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 17

Old one kill

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m
Previous thread: >>38479172
>>
Would it be a bad idea to wear a short sleeve compression shirt under a long sleeve one during fall?
>>
>>38499509
I don't see why not.

I usually do the opposite though. Long sleeve under short sleeve. Ran at -8C on that with no problem
>>
>>38499509
Be careful of material, some will rub your nips raw
>>
>>38499444
What do you guys think of Karrimor running gear? I recently purchased some of their shorts with the built in compression layer, ran 10k and no chafing whatsoever unlike with my usual Adidas, as the netting rides up your legs.
Would it be safe to buy more stuff from their range? It's cheap as shit but I worry it will be more worthwhile just buying more expensive gear in the long run.
What brands do you guys use?
>>
>>38480332
Still awaiting tits and ass from marathon training girl.
>>
>>38499593
Sure if it's cheap try it out and see how it works/how long it lasts. If it's shit, at least you're not out that much.
>>
XC practice in 50 minutes CX
>>
>>38499444
Reminder that a running shoe is only built for 300 miles
>>
>>38501273
I guess I need new shoes then
>>
>>38495789
>200 lbs
>doesn't run at all

how did you get into the army at all? don't they have timed 1.5 mile requirements?
>>
File: marathon training is nice.jpg (66KB, 1110x725px) Image search: [Google]
marathon training is nice.jpg
66KB, 1110x725px
>>38500822
Not marathon training girl, but here, have a snapshot of my marathon training.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 480x576px
I really love slow, build-type runs where I can slowly increase my pace over several miles, it's so relaxing and enjoyable not to have to constantly be under pressure and to feel like I'm dying.

I hate sprinting and all fast pace runs, but I need to get down to a 10 minute-ish 1.5 mile by October 6th, currently at about 11.30.

My pace when I do steady 3/4 mile distance runs is only about 15 seconds per mile slower than my fastest pace when doing a 1.5 mile sprint, what is life.

Also there's some Russians next door playing the most stereotypical Russian techno music ever, and it fucking sucks.
>>
>>38501528
Good on you keep up the good work
>tfw you ran a 6 min mile after bench for shits and giggles
>>
>>38501612
I'm the opposite, short to middle distance runs feel great for me. long distance chafe is horrible, and it's just gruelling pain for long periods of time, while short distance just gives you that energetic high afterwards and doesn't have me endlessly worrying about pacing and whether what feels relaxing now won't end in agonising pain and a strong desire to kill myself for the last mile or so
>>
>>38501528
Congrats and good job on that run.
>>
>>38500822
I'm still waiting for her to post blistered feet.
>>
I'm not a big runner, but I'm trying to improve my time a bit. If I have pronation and mostly flat feet and get an insert, is it normal to get more shin pain than usual? I know things need a breaking in period, but I'm wondering at what point it's just a wrong fit.

Is there any shoe brand you'd recommend? My friend who is a huge long distance runner has been wearing Altras almost exclusively for years now and I was thinking of maybe trying them out.
>>
>>38502604
welcome to the hell world of shin splints. they can be hell for newer runners. when i first started, i naively pushed myself harder and harder, til i just had to stop. stopped running for 2 weeks, shin splints went away pretty much entirely. push yourself to keep running for a week or so with shin splints, and then rest for a week or two.

honestly, shoe brand doesnt matter too much. just get a comfy shoe that absorbs shock and fits comfortably. you dont gotta drop 400 on a pair of shoes, but avoid getting cheap trash.
>>
>>38502648
I know what shin splits are and have had them before. I'm not new to running, I've just never been good or fast. I want to know, since my current shoes (though old and technically needing to be replaced) don't give them to me much, are these inserts just completely wrong, or could they be correcting form and I just have to get used to it.
>>
>>38501612
My minimum for Basic is 13:36 which I can't even run yet
>>
Is running a good way to lose weight (assuming I have a good diet)? Or is there a better exercise-related method?
>>
>>38499444
how to improve your 100m speed?
>>
I did a 20 miler last Saturday and didn't feel too rough so I'm pretty confident for my first marathon in October - Although my speed was pretty bad, 9:45 a mile.

Whole family is giving me shit about wanting to do ultra's after it but I love long distance running so will probably train for the lakeland 100 next year.
>>
>>38502906
By sprinting 400
>>
>>38502906
Hill sprints.
>>
>>38502744

Are you getting foot numbness/pins and needles like feeling in your lower legs whilst running?
>>
>>38502888
Its more of a way to get lean and stay lean
Running while overweight isnt advisable imo
>>
what is a good jogging pace for a total beginner?
I jogged 2.20km this morning at a 6:37/km pace.
>>
>>38503027
Whatever you feel like
Be yourself
>>
>>38503027
Worry about completing the distance and getting your miles per week up as a begineer
Running hard for speed will just btfo your legs
>>
>>38502949
not this guy but I do
I'm trying my best to strike fore/mid foot
also need to get new shoes
>>
>>38503027
Depends on your height, age, weight, gendet, body fat etc
>>
>>38502823
hey future AF bro. dont worry about it right now. youll be able to do a 13:36 for BMT graduation

t. me fat slob at the time and not running ever then going to basic and pounding out a 12:00
>>
Any good youtube channels? Already know vo2maxproductions.
>>
>>38502823

I'm the guy you replied to, mine is 9:20.

Why did I have to choose PARA's :'(
>>
>>38502823
>got my interview in two weeks
>got to get sub 10:30

fuck my life desu
>>
>>38504573
DC Rainmaker does very good reviews of GPS watches/other tech, if you're into that.
>>
File: suomen-armeija.jpg (48KB, 435x344px) Image search: [Google]
suomen-armeija.jpg
48KB, 435x344px
>>38501489
compulsory
>>
Is the Mizuno Wave 8 a good shoe?
>>
I've been running in ZX8000 for the last 10 years or so. I've bought a stash of them over the years but I'm running out of them and they're becoming harder and more expensive to find online.

Is there anything on the market today that I should try out? I've tried a few different pairs of nikes, new balance and ascics over the years but they're not as comfortable to run in as my ZX8000s
>>
>>38502949
Numbness yes, I don't think it starts with the pins and needles though. They just...thud into numbness. It sucks but honestly when it happens that's how I know I'm going at a decent pace. I'm aware I'm a heel striker too, btw, if that's why you're asking.
>>
How do I know which running shoe to get? There are so many from asics alone
>>
>>38499444
newfag question should I run every day or every other day? I've seen workout plans that recommend every other day. But would like to hear some other opinions
>>
This chick does this Gross Science show for NOVA, I follow NOVA on normiebook...anyhow, this just came across my feed. lel. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/qNab5gYAf4s
>>
>>38506532
Go to a local running store, try shit on, run around the store/around the block, have them analyze your gait.
>>
Day 335 in the books. 313 miles in August thus far...

Just signed up for first marathon in 6 weeks. I'm a little scared.
>>
>>38506727
If you're brand new to running stick with every other day for a few weeks. It gives your tendons/ligaments/etc time to adapt to running and strengthen.
>>
>>38506938
Doesn't affect me except for once when I was out of shape and doing a 10k. Made it to the toilet thank god
>>
>>38499593

IMO their shoes wear out really quick, the gear is usually comfy but also suffers from quick stress and tearing. It's Sports Direct, so you get what you pay for, Anon. Cheap and cheerful.
>>
>>38506948
I've been running for a few weeks now, used to be able to run two miles but I took a week off and can only run 1.5. Should I run everyday?
>>
>>38501489
I ran at boot camp, by "never run" I meant "never as a hobby".

I'm in the Navy, senpai. My 1.5 mile was 11:45 when I ran it last thursday, which is 1:45 faster than the bare minimum.
>>
How many miles should a noobie new to running be looking to run a week?

This is in addition to a calorie deficit + lifting
>>
>>38501273
Trail running shoes can last for over 1000
>>
>>38507287
Don't go by mileage. Go by minutes. Run 20 mins a day, 5 days a week for a month.
>>
>>38506532
Have a running store look at your foot and gait, they will put you in the correct shoe.
>>
>>38506727
Start off 2 days on 1 day off
>>
I run 70-80 miles a week, 7 days a week but don't incorporate any strength or core training.

I can't really do an elaborate workout on top of the 10 hours a week I run. I'm not interested in taking rest days either.

What should I do as a starting point?
>>
>>38507433
startbodyweight.com basic routine 3 times a week. If you run in the morning, do it in the afternoon. If you run in the afternoon, do it in the morning.
>>
>>38507433
i also run between 70 and 80 miles per week and i used to have this complex core routine, but since increasing my mileage ive simplified it to: ~80 pushups, 200 situps, and 2 minute side planks on each side after every run (excluding long runs)
>>
>>38506941
>313 miles in August thus far.
Why are you scared? That averages and rounds up to 11 miles a day. You have cumulative fatigue on your side and the adaptations will be phenomenal when you finish your taper. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a BQ without even trying.
>>
>>38506948
This, but add plyometrics and hill sprints.
>>
>>38507552
Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my base. I'm just pretty inexperienced in most races. I have never raced further than 5 miles. My long runs are around 20.5 miles lately though.

I'd probably be more nervous if it was a 5k, really.
>>
I've tried running but right after I get a pain in my calves that won't go away and gets triggered at odd angles or when I'm lying or sitting down. Tried foam rolling. This happened on two attempts, weeks apart, of trying to get into the running habit. And I wasn't even exerting myself, just a moderate 10 min jog. I don't heel strike, I used to do cross country in hs, I'm a twig but I can't run anymore. Should I even bother? I get my cardio with an elliptical machine. I don't know if it's worth the injury and discomfort.
>>
>>38507744
Maybe try making an extra effort to stretch out your calves prior to running next time. (Dynamic stretches of course)
>>
>>38507433
It's not a "rest days are for the weak" thing, it's a rest days are so you can recover to be stronger the next time, overtraining gets you nowhere. unless by strength you mean bodyweight exercises, then go ahead do them everyday, but please don't call it strength training. it's cardio.
>>
>>38507994
I was not referring to running as strength training. I am not overtraining while running during this streak.

I just need to incorporate something for my upper body and core, without reducing my running load.
>>
I am a retard and peeled skin of a blister that drained it self. Had to put new skin on it, fucking burns like Hell
>>
So like a retard I bought 4mm drop shoes without researching about low drop shoes and fucked my knees. But I got some athletic shoe inserts and was wondering if using these inserts would help me out at all?
Also I've been running with proper form and taking things slow because now I kinda need to get used to these shoes since they're all I have.
>>
>>38505771
The greatest shoe I have ever worn was a saucony
>>
2 questions:

1st; I'm doing c25k, is it a good program? what i want to know are if it has any major flaws

2nd; Glucosamine, i've decided to get some for joints and cartilage, do any other runners use this? is it highly recomended?
>>
>>38502744
Have you considered wearing a stability shoe? If neutral running shoes give you shin splints, you may need a shoe with more structure.
>>
>>38499444

Is 30 minutes of the bike close to the treadmill? I ask because the treadmills don't have platforms for phones/tablets and I find it effective to cardio while watching something.
>>
>>38509601
C25k is a heavy recommended program that many will vouch for. It's gotten millions onto running.

If you got proper form, a good pair of shoes that fit your running style, and don't over do it, then you will never worry about it. The "running ruins your knees" is a popular myth thrown out by lifters who are afraid of doing cardio.
>>
Hello /run/, I'm doing SL. Would it hurt to do 30 minute cardio before or after?

Before: Warm up muscles, increase flexibility, get the heart rate up

After: ???
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (61KB, 470x400px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
61KB, 470x400px
god i love hill sprints

no endurance, no pains from long term running, no blisters, just fanging it until you see god
>>
How do I prevent ankle joint pains?
>>
>>38512219
After. If you just want to warm up, 30mins is too much. Do dynamics stretches before if you want.
>>
Don't run unless you are a lanklet and want to loose some height

Was 6'2 before I started running 2 years on I measured in at 5'11 fml
>>
>>38499545
ultrasens nip fag here, I literally have to tape my nipples before I go running
is there some sort of material that will obviate this need?
>>
>>38505707
i love the wave series, so nice on my knees
>>
I don't run at all, but it's funny reading all the hate against barefoot running being dangerous, yet literally every second post is about blisters, shin splints and joint pain. Makes you wonder...
>>
>>38512434
Check your form.
Buy better shoes.
Take fish oil tablets.
>>
>>38501528
What do you use to get that info. Specifically stride per minute.
>>
>>38513316
Go run 5+ miles w/o shoes and tell me about how you don't have blisters or ankle and knee pain.
>>
does anyone here have experience training both outdoors and on treadmills?
which do you prefer, is one more beneficial than the other?
>>
>>38513455
As I said I don't run, but there are people that do and from what I read they don't suffer any injuries that other runners do. It just sounds like "oh I got knee pain again" is normal to runners, but when someone barefoot says the same, it's "serves you right for being a moron".
>>
>>38513484
Outdoors is best. The only thing a treadmill is good for is when extreme weather is out and you can't run outside e.g tornado, 7 feet of snow, -40 degrees outside, etc.
>>
>>38500822
Still waiting...I will repeatedly post until she does it.
>>
Can't wait to go for a run when I get off of work, only thing that eases my suffering.
>>
>tfw intersections

Having to stop for cross traffic detracts so much from a nice run. It's much nicer on a trail where you can just space out and run seemingly forever.
>>
>>38512242
God this. Coupled with a nice mile long jog there and back, ideal workout.
>>
>>38513433
It's part of Garmin Connect, so you need to buy one of their watches for it.

However, most of this data is available anyways in apps like Strava, which you can use for free if you don't mind running with your phone.
>>
>>38502823
13:36 for 1.5 miles?
So you are saying they just let anyone join the army nowadays huh. You could be decently fat and run that
>>
>>38513317
I might need new shoes, I'm just using the ones I used to walk around outside with but they're a good one and a half years old. I'm not the most active person but they were the only shoes I wore for that time.

What does the fish oil do?
>>
I think I broke my heart.

My resting heart rate is now around 40, my max heart rate during a recent race peaked at 199 with a 192 average, and training peaks rated my lactic threshold as 174 bpm. I'm 35 years old. My zones are all screwed up.

Zone 2 (Friel) starts at 156. I just did a 9 mile recovery run in which I couldn't muster more than 122 bpm at 8:30/mi.

Am I broken? Do my zones suck?
>>
>>38508623
Give it a few days and you wont feel it anymore. If you have duoderm put that on there.
If you have some areas that are prone to blisters on your feet, then tape them up before running. That way the friction will be negated by the tape and not your skin.
>>
>>38513316
>but it's funny reading all the hate against barefoot running
>>38513617
>As I said I don't run, but there are people that do and from what I read

Remember where you are..

/fit/ is not the best sample nor most representative of opinions when it comes to fitness and sport related activities.
>>
>>38514440

How are you measuring your HR?

I wouldn't rely on just one device for the measurement especially when inter-device measurements in comparison studies find inconsistency.
>>
>>38514098

Pretty much yes, but that's just for the selection's for non combat roles they require you to run it under 10:30 after you done your basic training.

I remember when I did my selection only me and 2 other guys got under 9mins for 1.5m rest were above 10mins
>>
>>38516118
I'm using a polar H7 chest strap linked to an m400. I've been using it for about a year pretty effectively.

I also have a viiiiva strap. They read the same.
>>
>>38501528

Nice

If i knew u on Strava u would get a kudo from me :D
>>
what's the difference between running and cycling for your legs, health, overall fitness etc
>>
How do I into half marathons? What sort of running routine should I look into?
>>
>>38517856
A lot of the well-known marathon plans have versions for half marathons. It depends on how many days a week you want to run, and the philosophies behind the training plans. Examples to look up: Higdon, Pfitzinger, Daniels, Hansons

Basically you'll want to run mostly easy runs, with one long run and one or two tempo/interval runs per week.
>>
>>38518030
Continue on like you would like 5k and 10k plans. You don't have to worry about hitting the wall like you would in a marathon.
>>
>>38518030
>>38518070
thanks m8, I'll look into those.
>>
Why do my ankles click like mad when doing jumping jacks or jumping around
>>
Guys I'm super self conscious about my not even big bulge when running esp because I have super fat thighs that cause it to stick out. What do?
>>
I have a 1.5 mile race in 3 weeks

One guy told me to run 1.5 miles twice a day everyday to improve

Will that help?
>>
File: 1444498549126.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1444498549126.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
>193km so far in August
>need 7km tomorrow to breach 200km mark
>legs feel dead after running on 3 consecutive days

can't decide whether to run or not, it's just a few kms either way and for my own amusement, or take a rest day because my legs cry for it
>>
>>38519890
Just do the kms. Running tired is good training.
>>
>>38507994
>le bodyweight doesn't count meme
>>
>>38519556
Do 2x best effort miles
>>
>>38508730
If you're going to use inserts just stick with your old style of shoe. Putting orthotics in minimalist shoes is the opposite of what you should do. Sounds like you have form issues.
>>
>>38511871
Holy shit. Just run outside. Can you seriously not put your phone down long enough to exercise?
>>
>>38513455
Hi. I do that.
>>
>>38519484
Lose weight
>>
>tfw can't run faster than the fastest speedwalkers
>>
My right knee is starting to feel like jelly and some googling says i should strengthen my quads.

My quads are already too big from cycling.

anyone know how to counter jelly knee?
>>
>>38499444
Mr feets, shins and calfs hurt while running.

It's weird because it only happens every now and then, I ran last week with friend (laps around a 400m oval on grass) and it didn't hurt at all. I tried running faster and slower and had the same issue.

Can someone recommend some good form instructions? Should I get new shoes / new fitting?
>>
>>38513232
Not really if you layer. Merino wool tops help but if you put anything on top of them it'll rub through unless the top is super thick.
>>
Short legs, long torso, am I going to make it or am I gimped at running?
>>
>>38506727
Fellow newfag when it comes to running, I go MTTF, WSS off.
>>
File: NEED TO HIT.png (6KB, 409x213px) Image search: [Google]
NEED TO HIT.png
6KB, 409x213px
>>38502823
I got a PT test next week and I haven't ran in a year
Hopefully I can squeeze by
>>
Need to be able to run 5 miles in under 40 minutes for Ranger selection at the end of September. Just did a run for 4.79 miles and time was 42:36, average pace 8:54. Basically I need to shave 54 seconds off that. I don't know what the actual course was like but I've heard it was "gently rolling terrain". What I just ran was rather hilly, at least to me (200 foot elevation change over ~half a mile).

How much do hills damage your run times? What can I do to get faster over this month? I'm just doing 5 mile runs every other day.
>>
How the FUCK do I stop straining my achilles tendon?
>>
>>38523842
Also does temperature matter? It'll probably be about 10 degrees cooler in the morning over my evening run
>>
>>38523842
Dunno but that's easy as fuck. After 2 weeks of training I ran 4 miles at 6:00 pace.
>>
>>38521094
>le bodyweight meme
>>
>>38523862
I can't tell if I fucked up my achilles tendons or my joints at the ankle. I ran for a bit yesterday and it was worse than usual but then I had to go into town and get some things done and when I came back I could barely walk. It's a bit better today but I still can't walk properly.
>>
>>38518030
>>38518070
One more thing I wanted to ask. When can I consider myself 'ready' to start training for half marathons? Should I have a specific time on my 10kms or some distance I can run without any trouble? Or can I just start whenever I feel like?
>>
>>38525661

Look at the training programs for a half marathon. When you're up to handling that sort of volume, you're ready to start training for it.
>>
File: 1471899156993.jpg (1021KB, 1420x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1471899156993.jpg
1021KB, 1420x1136px
I started running this summer.

I want to run faster, not further.
I just want to run 5km as fast as possible.

How do I train for this?
>>
>>38523842
What are you wearing during that 5 mile, get some good boots if you can mate
>>
>>38526176
To run faster you need to run further.
The guy who won the 5k on the olympics has runs as long as 27 miles.
>>
Is there a C25k for sprinting/interval training?
>>
What about Nike Flex for half marathons?
Got a new 2016 pair after my 2014 died on me after 600k.
>>
Should you twist your hips when running? Like over turning them like those phony racewalkers?
>>
>>38526514
No. Try to keep torso from twisting too much, when swinging your arms don't let them cross your center line.
>>
>>38524806
>le le X meme meme
>>
>>38526711
but you started it >:(
>>
What is the best race strategy for 21k?

Sunday I did negative splits for the first time. The greatest feeling. 1:50:54 (about 56:18/54:35). Should I go for a tighter split 51/49? Thanks!
>>
>>38499444
I got a turf toe 2 days ago and it's really hard to walk. How do i fix this? I wanna start running again asap...
>>
>>38521726
get it checked out by a doc
>>
>>38521726
You might have torn a tendon and you just have such strong legs that the muscles are able to support you.
>>
>>38523862
Seconded.

I read that doing excentric calf raises are supposed to help, though. Anyone tried this?
Do I do them while the Achilles tendon still hurts, or do I wait until I can walk pain-free again?
>>
Im a running scrub and I need some advice on some decent running shoes. I'm keeping the price under $60 so they're probably not the best
>Reebok royal nylon running shoes
>Reebok sublite xt
>New balance fresh foam Zante running
>New balance 690's
>New balance 610v5
>Mizuno Wave impetus 4
>Asics gel contend 3
>Adidas galaxy elite
>Adidas neo label cloudfoam vs city
Just need some opinions if you have any
>>
>>38526297
Yeah but he also won the 10k and is stepping up to marathons.
>>
>>38528357
And he beat people that primarily race the 5k. No one's telling you to go run marathons. But you always train significantly farther than you race
>>
>>38523909
>Also does temperature matter?

It matters a lot.

>http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_in_the_Heat
>http://vitals.lifehacker.com/here-s-how-much-slower-you-run-in-the-heat-1782687837
>>
>>38528047
I visited some local shop where the guy made me run on a treadmill with a camera pointed at my feet.
From the footage he recommended me certain type of soles and shoes.
Perhaps there is such a thing in your area?
>>
>2016
>not wearing a hoka
lmao fucking casuals
>>
>>38528514
My point is that you don't need to run 27 miles to do a half decent 5k.
>>
>>38529271
It's called 'gait analysis' FYI.
>>
>>38529852
To be fair, the other anon specifically asked for "as fast as possible"
>>
>>38529852
you don't even need to run 27 miles to train for a marathon
>>
>>38513662
>>38500822
Still waiting...I know you've been posting and are ignoring my requests marathon training girl. I'm not going to stop until you do.
>>
I just started running, is 3 miles a day a good start or should I aim for more? I do probably a 9-10 min mile pace.
>>
>>38530046
That depends on your goals.
>>
>>38530046
Why not vary it? 3 miles is good for a standard session but maybe add in a couple of longer ones each week. Maybe even some sprint reps too.
>>
>>38530115
I wanna run good.

Faster, longer, etc.
>>
man not being able to walk properly is pretty terrible
today my achilles tendons/joints or whatever the fuck I messed up are better than yesterday
>>
>>38530046
just do c25k
>>
>>38530158
Then start doing longer, slowe run once a week, and do interval, tempo, and 800 repeats.
>>
>>38530232
but I already am running like 4.8k.

That program looks like its for people who literally don't move.
>>
>>38530005
True. Also you need to do is 20 miles. The last 6 is all fuel and mental.
>>
What do you guys listen to when you run? I could never really get into trance music, which is what a lot of people tend to recommend.
>>
What would fit consider a distance every decently fit person should be able to jog? I just went out and managed to jog about 4km within 30min. I would say about 5km should be managebal, what does /fit think?
>>
>>38531928
Anyone who runs should be able to do 5k in 25 minutes and a decently fit normie should do 5k in 30.
Appreciate that running for 4 or 5k is a challenge for some people but no, I wouldn't say you're fit. With a bit of time and effort, you will get there though.
>>
How do i use gells and water during my long runs?
Today i tried to do 30.4km but i gave up at 22km, it was warm, i don't know what happened, suddenly i just stopped, i feel super bad now, 2 weeks ago i did 27.4, so i should have been able to do this distance, but it was also verry warm, i took a gell at 16 km and started to drink water once in a while from km 15.how do i avoid hitting these ''walls'', running in the extreme morning when it is still cold?
>>
How was everyone's run today?
>>
>>38532891
I ran 10K, and part of that was up a steep hill, at the top of which is the highest point in my (admittedly very flat, midwestern) city. Still, a nice early morning view. Also I saw some deer.
>>
>>38532156
Start drinking sooner and do it regularly - every 15-20 minutes is good.
It sounds like you used the gel at the right time, or maybe a bit late. They usually recommend one every hour. But they take some time to get used to them.
>>
I want to run to/from work. Does anyone here do this? It's 4.5-6.5 miles depending on the route I take.
>>
File: Skärmklipp.png (146KB, 335x600px) Image search: [Google]
Skärmklipp.png
146KB, 335x600px
>>38532891
training for the military, am i making it?
>>
>>38533471
>using km
Since that means you aren't American, don't join the military because it's a waste of time joining some weak-ass little joke of a military.
Faggot.
>>
>>38532891
Not bad, ran by the river and saw a heron.
>>
>>38502960
>Running while overweight is not recommended
Well how else does one lose weight, Einstein?
>>
>>38533541
Walk
Swim
Eat less
>>
>>38532156
My last long run (35k) was also very warm. What I do is drink every 2.5km, no exceptions. I also alternate between normal water and water with electrolytes (gatorade, etc).
I took the gel at km 15, but like the other anon said, it's recommended to take one every hour. That said, the last 7km weren't a nice sight
>>
>>38533460
If my job was less than 6mi away, and I didn't sweat fucking buckets every time I run, I might consider it.

As it stands now though, I think it'd be too much of a hazzle to shower every time at the job. (Also, it would be a 15mi run or so)
>>
>>38533541
just eat less u dufus
>>
File: qt pace.jpg (69KB, 976x754px) Image search: [Google]
qt pace.jpg
69KB, 976x754px
>>38532891
A qt went past me at around km 7 of my run, and I stuck to her pace until our paths separated 3km later.
It's a pretty rare opportunity since all the qts I see during my runs seem to be going the opposite direction, or are too slow.
Pic related, pace graph
>>
>>38532891
I have diarrhea so i couldnt go. Feels shit man
>>
File: navette.jpg (51KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
navette.jpg
51KB, 620x413px
hi im a beginner in running but i have to take a test about course navette, thing is i have to do 7,5 periods and i only do 6

i really need to pass that test, i have it on 5 days and im scared as fuck

everyone tells me im going to make it but i just cant
>>
>>38531248
I tend to listen to whatever is happening while on the run. Listening to the birds chirp or the water flow while watching the scenery got me to stop listening to music while I ran. Now if I play music while running, I get agitated and turn it off even if I'm running in town.

>>38531928
I would say 5k/3.1miles. It's not really that hard, but reaps a lot of benefits. As long as you are doing it hard and getting your heart rate up, the speed doesn't matter.

>>38532156
Don't beat yourself up. We all have those bad days. I've had days where I can barely run 5 miles before wanting to give up, then two days later run forever (though usually stop at 16mi/25.7km). Though I usually hit the wall at that time, I know most times to start taking in any external source of carbs around mile 12 as I'll crash around mile 15 unless I have it in my system. After that, I just do it by every mile.

The best thing to do is prevention by starting your drinks early. It might be beneficial to even start at 3mi/5km.

>>38533460
I bike to work. I don't have a car and I need to be very professional. Biking doesn't take much and I don't sweat at all during it unless I'm going up steep hills. If I ran even at a very slow pace, I'm going to sweat a lot, which looks bad for me at work. It's 5 miles away from me.

>>38533541
Running while overweight can stress the joints in your legs. If you are overweight, it's suggested you either swim (combined this with water jogging, look it up as it's a form of cross-training for injured runners), cycle, or walk for your cardio. Running is very high impact, and though running increases the strength of your joints and ligaments, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you are overweight, the heavy impact of your weight creates more impact and harmful stress on your joints than the strength and resiliency to the joint you get from running.
>>
>>38533973
The more you tell yourself you can't, the more likely you are to do worse. Tell yourself you can do it. If everyone else is telling you that you'd pass with no problem, then they probably know your performance better than you do.
>>
Does anyone run twice daily? I'm thinking about adding a short, easy afternoon run twice a week.
>>
>>38499444
I have horrible Achilles' tendonitis on my right leg

Any suggestions beside foam roll and stretch calf.
>>
>>38534340
If you're looking to train for a half-marathon or marathon, it's a good training method to train in splits as you get the same adaptations as-if you were going to do the long run all at once. You can also do it the next day and have the same benefits. Just fair warning, it may take time for your body to adjust to this method of training, and the injury rate is higher. Otherwise, I say go for it. Start slow by going lower miles and build yourself up.
>>
>>38533922
What app is this?
>>
>>38534377
>Any suggestions beside foam roll and stretch calf.
Reduce volume/speed. If chronic, consider a gel heel pad or arch insert until your pain is gone (higher heel to toe ratio would be temporarily desirable, as well).
>>
>>38534975
running stats app. It's free but only for iphone. Android is about 20 dollars.
>>
>>38535045
Damn...I have android.

How would you compare that app to Runkeeper?
>>
File: 1466310726418.png (92KB, 295x229px) Image search: [Google]
1466310726418.png
92KB, 295x229px
Guys I run in a park nearby that is sorrounded with a soft dirt road so it's knee friendly. It's getting closed for a month due to renovations so I am fucked. How do I transition to asphalt? Do I have to run at a slower pace? How do I unjust my shit?

>inb4 form
>>
>>38535085
>How do I transition to asphalt?
Light steps. Reduce your distance by 5-10% for a couple weeks. Make sure your shoes are up to date.
>>
>>38535063
kek
>>
>>38535119
I just saw the feature on Runkeeper.
Your kek made me double check.
>>
File: 802609404_17313.jpg (25KB, 485x396px) Image search: [Google]
802609404_17313.jpg
25KB, 485x396px
>>38499444
does anyone run for feels?
>>
>>38534074
>>38533764
>>38533440
Thanks for the replies
I'm going on a hiking trip this weekend, my plan was to go back 2 weeks in my training schedule, and do as long runs 25.6km, 27.2km and than try 30km again. Before the failed 30km i only ran more than half marathon a few times, so maybe it's bether to get more familiar with those distances first.
Is this a good aproach?
And about the drinking, how big are the flasks you guys are wearing during long runs?
With my hydration belt i carry one big 500ml bottle on the back, is this enough for long training runs? i can't really refill everywhere allong the road since i life quite rural. And if i start drinking earlier, than how much every time i take a sip. and how do i prevent running out of water before i take a gell or bar.
>>
>>38512206
ty
>>
>>38527858
You do them while you have the injury, not after,
>>
>>38534377
Don't stretch it. Do negatives. Stretch it after it has healed and only if the tendon is chronically shortened.
>>
Does foam rolling/general massaging aid recovery? As in I should be foam rolling my legs on my rest days?

Because I read to avoid exercise after a foam roll session. I'm just looking for a way to help me feel less sore by the time I run again........
>>
>>38533500
There are countries where military service is mandatory
>>
>>38532156
>>38533440
>>38533764
>>38533440

Are gels and water during the run that necessary? I've always found it incredibly annoying to run with things attached to me or when I'm holding something.
Should I just man up and use them if I want to get into half marathons? What should I look for in gels and such?
>>
>>38537608
>if I want to get into half marathons
If you're running for more than two hours it's a good idea to bring water with you. I wear an Asics belt that holds a 0.5 liter bottle and has a small pouch for keys and such. I don't find it annoying at all and I'm confident you'll get used to one if you give it a try
I don't think you really need gels unless you're at risk of depleting your glycogen storage during the run (so that would probably be 30-35km). If you're a regular guy training for half a marathon you probably won't be covering such distances in one go
>>
>>38533460

I do but it's only around 2.5 miles to/from.

If you have the time and can deal with changing room facilities (and shower if necessary) at work then go for it. Then again 4.5 miles to/from 5 days a week might be a bit much if you aren't too fit to begin with.

That run (9miles minimum) a day would leave you quite exhausted and I'm not sure how you'd fit other sporting activities around that.
>>
>>38538087
You have showers at work?
>>
>>38499444

So I started training in running 5ish weeks ago. Every week 4 times a week. I run 3.6km runs (the distance is specific to a fitness test I do).

Ive improved from 18 minutes on the treadmill to last week about 14:40. This week I just cant seem to make my times and stop half way through. Do I need to take half a week or so off to recover, or should I just do a slower speed and build back up?

Additional info: I do 3 bodyweight sessions per week, 3 lift sessions per week and 2 pt sessions which can be anything.
>>
>>38538214
So your pace is about 4:10 / km which is pretty good. How do you feel holding the pace, are you exhausted once you've finished?
I'd say your running too fast too often and you don't have the time to recover
My advice would be to run only one hard session a week and running longer, easy runs otherwise
If you just run the 3,6km hard every time you'll initially make progress but it's not a sustainable way to improve over the long term. It sounds like you'll have to take another approach
>>
>>38538214
You're not running outside?
>>
>>38533500
>join military in tiny literally euro country
>never see action
>just get free housing, food, and pay to stare at a border with russia all day
>if they ever invade you'll probably abandon your post or surrender immediately anyway

I really don't see why you wouldn't
>>
I ended up getting two compression shirts, one long and the other short sleeve. By themselves they fit okay but one over the other they're pretty constraining for obvious reasons. For some idiotic reason I didn't order the short sleeve one in a larger size and I'm not sure if I should send back one of them or not.

What do you guys run in during Fall/Winter and early Spring? Is there really a point in a long sleeve shirt? Since it's so thin it seems like if it's cold in a short sleeve one it's going to be cold in the other one as well.
>>
>>38535552
If you have enough time before the marathon (I assume you're training for one), then go for it. Although like the other anon mentioned, it could have been that you just had a bad day, so I don't think you should worry about this too much. If I were you I'd probably go back only one week, or just try again the 30km.

My hydration belt has two 200ml bottles. But I refill them 2 times completely. Once at 15km or so, then two half refills at 24km and 31km. I'm pretty lucky that there are water fountains on my path.

For a warm day, 500ml doesn't sound enough. I'd look into buying one of those hydration belts with four 200ml bottles, or see if you can find at least one place to refill along the road.
>>
>>38537494
That's not an excuse to be a bitch
>>
>>38538852
Who's the bitch? The person preparing himself physically for compulsory military service in order to best serve his country? Or the country itself for maintaining a force that could be overrun by the USA anyway?
>>
>>38533935
are you me? so fucking frustrating, liek dis all week
>>
>>38502604
A great show for bad feet is the Brooks Beast. Been using them for years
>>
As someone who is currently training for a half marathon, how would adding morning swims of around 2 km before running going to affect me? Would it work out or am I going to tire out my legs to the degree that my running exercises are just going to be painful?
>>
>>38513219
Spot the retard
>>
>>38514098
9 minute/mile isn't particularly slow. Trust me, plenty fail out with that requirement.
>>
I did hill sprints yesterday, nothing too strenuous but my calves are suffering for it today, my right one especially feels tight and sore.

Was going to run today but I thought I'd only end up making ti worse, part of me thinks I'm just making excuses but the other part thinks it's the sensible thing to do. What should I do if this happens again? Power through it or take a break? I think my main problem is that I hate stretching and my warm ups consist of nothing more than a walk.
>>
>>38539519
do it, don't be a bitch. run!
>>
>>38539611
That's what I was thinking but thought it'd make it worse!
>>
I'm a pretty poor jogger, doing couch to 5k, and my ankles have recently started hurting when I run. I have pretty decent running shoes, and my ankle never hurt me when I used to run.
Is it perhaps my form?
What else could it be?
>>
>>38539669
Overpronation?
>>
>>38539710
I don't think so
I have a decent arch and I have decent running shoes, so I shouldn't be running flat footed, r-right?
>>
>>38539519
You need to learn when you are feeling a potential injury and when you are just feeling your muscles adapt to your training. This will come with experience but it sounds like the latter. If you're using muscles in new ways then they will get tight/sore for a while.
If you warm down, it will reduce this. Eventually it won't be a problem though. So power through and don't let this be an excuse to stop.
>>
>>38539767
You can still overpronate with an arch. Better get that gait checked.
>>
I have a bit of pain in the back of my knee. Should I ease off running for a few days / weeks till it goes away ? I can definitely run through the pain.
>>
>>38536448
Hmm, but it hurts while I do them - and afterwards. That can't be good?
>>
>>38537218
I use a lacrosse ball sometimes and roll it firmly against wherever my muscles/tendons are sore. I think it helps. I'd do it after your run when you're feeling sore or on your rest days.
>>
>>38538849
Thanks for the reaction, i made a plan, i make some kind of loop around my village, than run 13 km out, 13 km back, and if i still have energy i run an extra circle around my village to make it 30. I'm also going to time it during a less warmer time of the day
>>
>>38540497
Yeah my plan was to pick up a lacrosse ball today, or even a foam roller if it's cheap enough.
>>
>>38540433
Rest a couple days at least.
>>
>>38501273

More like 400-500 but yeah, it's finite.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Semi-good marathoner here. AMA about marathon training I guess.
>>
>>38541026
3k calories? holy fuck

how much do you eat per day
>>
>>38541061

I mean that was a literal marathon. But generally I eat 2000 calories per day plus 110 calories per mile I run, another 500 calories for days I lift, and any mileage at or under 6:00 pace counts double for calories.

After the race my appetite was actually shot. The day after the race and the day after that, however, I ate an enormous quantity.
>>
>>38541026

What do you eat before? After? And what sort of quantities?
>>
>>38541061

You don't run a marathon every day you dummy.
>>
>>38530037
>>38513662
>>38500822
Still waiting marathon training girl. You know you want to show off that nice body you worked so hard for.
>>
>>38541026
How do you combine long distance running and lifting? What does your routine (lifting as well as running) look like? I'm kinda lost on how to best combine the two.
>>
>>38541026
why is it so hard to go beyond 20 something km? i'm folowing a schedule, but everytime from 21km it get's extremely hard and i have to stop.. what do?
>>
Is it fine to run in converse shoes? The only other shoes I own are some Jordan's boat shoes and some dress shoes.
>>
>>38541554
What happens when you do? Your glycogen stores typically last for around 2 hours hard effort, so maybe you're bonking? (Not enough sugar / carbohydrates left in the system - symptons range from "can't run hard any more" to freezing, dizziness, seeing double etc.)

Are you eating / drinking on those long runs?
>>
File: magnum.gif (976KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
magnum.gif
976KB, 245x184px
>>38541580
>>
>>38541297
my father does though, but hes an ultra-marathonist
>>
File: Skipping.jpg (13KB, 267x372px) Image search: [Google]
Skipping.jpg
13KB, 267x372px
Who /skip/ here?

Just bought myself a rope and been circuit training with it. Need to build up dat endurance
>>
>>38541710
usually not, i now have a 500ml flask with me though and i tried a energy gel at km 16, but didn't really notice annything. still bonk
>>
>>38541191

I do a lot of my running at 6:00 AM with my wife, so I get up at 5:30 and don't really eat anything beforehand. Before harder workouts or long runs I will have peanut butter toast and a banana (so ~500 calories total) about an hour to an hour and a half before hand with a half cup of coffee or a full cup of black tea. On race days I make sure to be up 3 hours before start time and for longer races will have a bagel with peanut butter, another bagel with honey, and a banana and coffee.

>>38541507

I choose to specialize. My lifting supplements my running, and I don't even pretend to do both well. My running and lifting are both periodized so I couldn't say what a typical week is, but I'm in the middle of a training cycle right now getting ready for some fast mid-autumn 5ks and below is what I did last week.

Sun - AM 14 mile long run on hills, easy pace
Mon - off
Tues - AM 5 miles easy
Tues - PM 3 mils easy, form drills, 4x100m accelerations barefoot on grass
Wed - AM 4 miles easy
Wed - PM 2 mile warm up, 4x(1000m - 600m) with 30 seconds between reps and 1:30 between sets, done at goal 5k pace, 2 mile cooldown, lifting... this is the hardest day this week by far, mostly because of how hard the track work is
Thur - PM 8 miles moderate, form drills, 4x100m accelerations barefoot on grass
Fri - AM 5 miles easy
Fri - PM 5 miles easy
Sat - AM 3 mile warm up, 300-300-200-200-200 with 3 minutes after the 3s and 2 minutes after the 2s for recovery, run at 800m race pace, 3 mile cool down, lifting

The lifting is pretty basic. I alternate an A and B day, with squat, roman chairs, hyperextensions, and weighted decline situps as the staples, then A also includes benchpress, bulgarian lunges, and pullups, and B includes deadlift, dips, and bent over db rows.

>>38541554
>>38542657

Either you don't have much stored muscle glycogen, or your body is just really, REALLY inefficient at using energy.
>>
Is it true if I run >40 minutes is bad because I only lose muscle mass? I run 36 now but was planning to go up to one hour
>>
>>38543752
bullshit meme
>>
>>38543752

You only lose muscle mass if you deplete your glycogen stores, which you are absolutely NOT doing in 36 minutes of running, or an hour of running, or probably even an hour and a half of running if that. Beyond an hour and a half and you might be getting into that territory depending on how much muscle glycogen your body has when you start, how efficient you are, how fast you're going, etc.

But, put more succinctly, abso-fucking-lutely not.
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.