[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 51

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and facts:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•Participants compete at amateur or professional level
•Physical condition part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning
>>
Huge shout out to the anon who made this and I just copied and pasted it it .

>>38430617
>>38430723
>>
Got a fight against a traveller in October, wish me luck lads
Also good job for the guy who went through hell day..
>>
MT + BJJ
Or
Kickboxing + Wrestling?
>>
>>38430836
Learn some bjj then pick a striking discipline after
>>
>>38430821
That's me famm ! I got another one coming up Thursday some more sparring with the Mexican coach. I can barley close my jaw right now bro but I'll make it. I got some heavy conditioning to do tomorrow
>>
>>38430941
>I can barley close my jaw right now
that's a good sign, that's how we learn
>>
>>38430952
That's the only way to think of it. I feel such an adrenaline high in there. I just want to get better and better. Thursdays my next sparring day.
>>
amurkans fully know nothing about muay thai

•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)

LOL

anyway i am SICK as a DOG and im still gonna sparring tonight wish me luck fellas
>>
>>38430790
np famalam

I do hope this becomes a regular thing
>>
>>38430836
How old are you?

It is hard to find a place to wrestle past college age, whereas BJJ is fucking everywhere.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UlAh9rnkYM

>>38431146
>>
>>38431153
I'll do my part breh.
>>
>>38431161
18, also live in New Zealand
>>
>>38431216
A lot of bigger gyms have a little wrestling program. Like a class or two a week. Go to these+bjj+bjj open roll. You'll get the best of all possible worlds, and will be unstoppable on the ground. Ground skillz are good skillz cuz the average street fight goes to the ground in like 3 seconds if I remember correctly, plus you'll never get raped again... unless your trainer fancies your boipussy. Coaches can rape whomever they want, it's the law.
>>
>>38430767
>LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

So, how exactly did this list was compiled?

I mean, I don't see a lot of martial arts in there, and while I know mcdojos are to blame, I'm curious to know how did you choose which ones to include and which one to exclude from the OP list.
>>
>>38430767
I started boxing a couple weeks ago with a former Olympic boxer. At first I was interested in doing BJJ but those gyms were at least $120/month.

I managed to bargain boxing down to 80/month which is why I went with it. It's been really fun and I plan to start going regularly now that I'm back to the school routine. But I still think the price is a bit much considering I'm a student that only works during the summer. What do you guys think of the cost?
>>
Check out this Nick Diaz interview.

Makes me want to drop some hours of Muay Thai and focus on boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RExg1xOEoI
>>
File: dr mcgregor im 209.png (237KB, 266x398px) Image search: [Google]
dr mcgregor im 209.png
237KB, 266x398px
>>38432020

How many hours will you be able to train per week for 80?

If there are good fighters there, that at least means good skill worked there. So while you might not ever refine your game to even that of a top amature, you can still build up your hand game
>>
>>38432132
I can train at least 2 hours per week and sometimes 3 (an hour per day).

Most of the regulars are older dudes who seem to just do it for fun, but they're pretty alright. The trainer himself trains amateurs 1 on 1 who compete. But doing that would be really expensive.
>>
>>38430767
hes some motherfucking inspiration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtTh_N9dN8
>>
>tfw you beat your black belt master with a gogoplata
>>
File: 1471390928805.jpg (70KB, 524x546px) Image search: [Google]
1471390928805.jpg
70KB, 524x546px
>>38432440
>tfw he let you have it
>>
>>38432326
just a question. in boxing we are taught to punch straight cause that's the quickest way to reach your target but why are they doing sideway punches? does it still have any damage behind it
>>
flyod mayweather is honestly a really good boxer and who cares if he's running away? sure, its not macho and bravado but at the end of the day if you hit and don't get hit that's the aim fo the game in boxing and he does that to a superhuman level
>>
File: bendo.jpg (87KB, 650x440px) Image search: [Google]
bendo.jpg
87KB, 650x440px
>>38432178

3 per week is good enough to get started and learn basics since you'll just want to practice basics to start.

Very basic footwork
Punch form
stance, balance

Any off time you could put into cardio. That's basically what I've been doing (+BJJ)
>>
How soon is too soon to take boxing lessons? I'm 6 months into lifting on PPL with two sessions a day. Thinking I could possibly switch a PPL to learn boxing.
>>
>>38430836
MT + BJJ

After a couple years, train boxing if you want better striking, kickboxing if you want better kicking, judo/wrestling if you want better takedowns.

Alternatively, starting with Judo/wrestling for a strong standup grappling foundation is also fine, both styles also train groundwork.
>>
>>38432585
Well those are hook punches, aren't they? You lose some of the power that would have come from your arm and shoulder, but that isn't a whole lot compared to the force you get from twisting your torso and legs. You should have that twisting power whether you're throwing a hook or straight.
>>
>>38431958
They are martial arts with proven effectiveness in the ring and in street fights. Until we see someone using Wing Chun or something consistently to win fights either in the cage or on the street, then it shouldn't be included.

Same is true for RBSD styles.
>>
>>38432326
I'm so fucking glad they put a decent ref in the ring for the Mcgregor Diaz fight.
>>
guys im weak, skinny and have no condition. in 2 months i will start going to judo gym.
how can i best prepare myself in these 2 months? no gym
currently i do:
pushups trying to reach one handed pushups
situps
single leg squats
pullups
swimming+running
is it fine? anything i should add/change?
>>
File: 1468619291983.jpg (2MB, 1200x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1468619291983.jpg
2MB, 1200x1300px
>>38434408
Don't expect to be the best at sparring right off the bat with that baseline.

Start lifting if you're weak, do a 3/week program like SL or something. It'll get you a small strength base that you will need.

After you start training, keep an eye on recovery. If you can still train and keep a lifting regime without dying, do that. You have some catchup to do before you can compete with the others, and that's fine.

Marathon, not a sprint.
>>
>>38434408
>>38434439
Eh, missed the "no gym" part.

Do Starting Bodyweight, it's better than nothing.
>>
>>38434408
>situps

Replace with plank, single leg plank, plank rotations, ab crunches, bicycle crunches. Situps are dogshit.

Try starting bodyweight, or follow one of those calisthenic infographics that sometimes get posted around here. How tall are you? Being a lanklet isn't always a disadvantage in judo, you don't always need strength if your legs are too long for someone to step off.
>>
>>38434408
sounds good. I'd focus more on pull strength (wide pull ups) and core strength, particularly rotational (russian twists and woodchoppers)
just remember that you are still going to be shit in the first few weeks, no matter how hard you train.
>>
File: Renato.jpg (48KB, 652x435px) Image search: [Google]
Renato.jpg
48KB, 652x435px
>only day this week I am able to go to jiu jitsu
>it's no-gi
>mfw

porra
>>
>>38434250
So kickboxing doesn't work in the ring? Or something like muay thai just covers kickboxing +++?

Just curious.
>>
>>38434588
No, planks and crunches are shit.
Situps works the front hinge of the body and are unbelievably useful in day to day activity.

Planks are only if you have back issues, and crunches are more for vanity.
>>
>>38434736
Kickboxing absolutely works, as long as it's full contact, just look at Andy Hug. Muay Thai is too different to KB, so it should be listed by itself.

>>38434742
Actually, planking is really bad for your lower back, as are sit ups.
>>
>>38434588
im 180cm 65kg
>>
>>38435030
Then really don't worry about strength, cardio right now is more important, because if you can't finish a session from gassing out too fast, you'll never improve.
>>
>>38434408
Look up these drills for judo on YouTube:
Shrimp
Reverse Shrimp
Bridges
Mat Pulls

Also, working on your hip flexibility will help prevent injury.
https://youtu.be/gXYrp8EWU3U
>>
>>38434844
Planking is only bad for your lower back if you do it wrong, i.e. planking with APT.

You should pull your ribcage inward when you plank and hold straight like that, i.e. with PPT. Even squeeze your glutes if need be.

This is something people fuck up a lot which leads to the meme that planks are bad for the lower back.
>>
>>38434844
>Actually, planking is really bad for your lower back, as are sit ups.

sauce on that plis
>>
File: Snapchat-3983637284564549132.jpg (130KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3983637284564549132.jpg
130KB, 1080x1920px
>>38435217
Here is ex.
>>
>>38434712
Why is that a bad thing? No gi looks based and more difficult tbqh
>>
>>38435259
or
>>
how do I know whether a Krav Maga dojo is a good or bad one?
>>
>>38436844
Do they have sparring? Or anything to offer that can't be found in a good MMA gym? Also see list in OP
>>
>>38436844
It's Krav, therefore it's inherently bad.
>>
>>38437046
nice memeing
>>
>>38436844

Krav is nearly always shit
>>
>>38437046
>>38437069

why
>>
>>38436897

The OP prerequisites are good, save the whole competition/athlete side of it.

A competing athlete is a good sign, but don't write off clubs that don't compete. Train with them first if you can.
>>
>>38437078

It's just dumbed down jujitsu.

Every Krav training session I've ever seen and every practitioner I've ever trained with just does these bullshit rehearsed combos, standing toe to toe and never really moving.

They trust that their groin and eye strikes are enough to instantly win a fight, which is idiocy.
>>
>>38437056
>>38437078

Not a meme. Krav pulls things from other arts that do things better, the absolute vast majority of Krav places never spar, the whole "poke the eyes, twist the nuts" thing is utterly shit and never fucking works.

Krav is the worst of the worst, because it advertises itself as 2brutal, but it's just a cover up to show that none of it works. They ingrain a confidence in the students they don't deserve, because they don't pressure test anything, therefore when confronted with any kind of actual self defence situation, they could get themselves severely injured or killed when the shit techniques they've been practising for the last 5 years don't fucking work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D2ldyBJGWM this kind oif shit doesn't work, slap the balls, slap the eyes, then what will you do for the remaining 5 seconds it takes for you to go out when that doesn't work?

But if you want to learn shit like this then go ahead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMITmDeNCU

inb4
>my Krav gym trains full contact sparring

Congrats, you found the one in one million gym that does. Pity you're learning sub par punches, shit kicks with no power, and aikido level grappling skills.
>>
Good mobility work for hips/legs? (should this be incorporated in the OP?)
>>
>>38437145
Not the guy you replied to, but now that the topic is bad fighting styles, what's your opinion on wing chun?
>>
>>38437165

Check Catalyst Athletics mobility 101
>>
>>38437166
Pretty shit, you'd be better off learning boxing. Stances are mostly static, straight punching like that is easy to dodge, they don't generate much power either.

You're best off keeping away from anything chinese that isn't Sanda/Sanshou, but even then you're better off with muay thai or full contact kickboxing.
>>
>>38437145

I'm going to disagree with you a little on the eyes and balls stuff.

They're good strikes to use as part of a technique. If you need that little extra leverage for a transition on the ground or to distract someone in a clinch while you live for a throw then sticking your thumb in their eye for a bit of extra grip works wonders. As does a groin strike if you need to open someone up for some better targets.

They are absolutely not fight enders though.
>>
>>38432440
>white belts thinking they beat their instructors when they let them get a submission

Every time.
>>
>>38437046
There's nothing INHERENTLY wrong with krav. Of krav was done right it wpuld be boxing and wrestling (which is what the founder actually trained) plus nut kicking and eye poking.

The problem is that krav is nearly never done right.

>inb4 WELL MY KRAV SCHOOL

That's cool man but I literally have never, not once, seem a good krav school so I l cant for that reason endorse krav maga in good faith
>>
>>38430767

we make this >>38437145 part of the MAG original post?
>>
Closes judo place to me only let's you get in 2.5 hours a week it looks like.

This sounds bad.

Meanwhile, the closest boxing gym to me costs $600 a year. The fuck is up with that.
>>
File: ubereem.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
ubereem.gif
2MB, 350x197px
Rory MacDonald has signed wih Bellator.
>https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/768484844250681344

George St-Pierre to possibly return at UFC 206 in Toronto.
>http://bigbrandboys.com/lifestyle/georges-st-pierre-return-ufc-206-toronto/

Big Ben Rothwell is undergoing head Surgery.
>https://www.instagram.com/p/BJf88XmAnRS/

Dillashaw still being a little bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRSCEYtSVU

Dana white also said something to the affect of: "Rumble vs Jon Jones would be pretty cool
>>
>>38437165
See
>>38435053
>>
>Like to watch martial arts movies
>Kung Fu is present in most movies
>Looks real cool in movies
>Doubt it has any real world value

Anyone here tried it? I imagine it's not very useful if you actually got in a fight, but it seems to promote good body control, which is really what I would want out of a martial art. I would never learn it for self defence because I would much rather run from a fight every time than actually participate in one. That also goes for any kind of tournament, but I understand that to advance you have to take part in competitions or tests.

Is Kung Fu really just a big meme and a source of publicity for China?
>>
Can I really learn some moves from that blackbeltwikia on my own? I do boxing atleast once a week but want to learn more in my free time

Is it possible?
>>
>>38439570
kung fu is memery. sure it may have been done right at some point but now it is one of those over saturated mcdojo arts where unqualified people teach it. see >>38437145
>>
>>38439574
No, if you're learning something unrelated to boxing, then you need an instructor to show you how to do things right. Otherwise you'll just end up drilling bad habits that will take months to break.
>>
>>38439626
How memey is it? Say I were to find a good dojo/school/instructor, would I just be learning about inner peace and Bruce Lee, or would I actually do something? How does sparring even work, please don't tell me it's one of those "get in one or two hits and then reset".
>>
>>38439792
there is no ruling organizations or competitions in Kung Fu, so there is no strict standards to teaching it. most schools do not even do sparing so theres your biggest clue its a weeaboo martial art.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>38434712
I only do no gi.
>>
File: 4w3w3YA.jpg (65KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
4w3w3YA.jpg
65KB, 750x750px
>>38439934
same, no gi master race repperting in
>>
File: image.png (772KB, 537x895px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
772KB, 537x895px
>>38437841
Krav students are usually skinhead assholes, in my experience. People who actively want to kill or maim with their bare hands but don't know how
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 514x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 514x514px
Is kickboxing + bjj a good combo?
>>
>>38439988
lol good thing they dont actually know any effective moves. I just dont want this place to end up like /asp/ with all the ironic recommendations of meme martial arts
>>
Is Wrestling and boxing a good enough combinination? Gonna do other stuff when I get good enough on both
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 250x190px
>>38440171
Those are both solid choices if you put in the effort
>>
>>38431153
Kudos anon. I started the /run/ or /running/ threads to get more people into running. Glad to see other people are keeping it going.
>>
>>38440045
I don't think they're ironic. I'm like, 90% positive it's cross posting from the wrasslefags fags amd that they are actually retarded enough to believe kung fu movies are real.

>>38439988
Ironic considering it was developed by and for jews.
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 336x229px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 336x229px
>>38431153
Spread da woid.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 425x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 425x448px
>>38440252
>Ironic considering it was developed by and for jews.

Kek
>>
>>38430767
>what about wing tsun anon-kun?
>>
Starting BJJ in September, what should I expect? Its some school in Chicago thats pretty highly rated so I'm hoping to learn some good stuff. Whats the progression like?
How long does it take to get each belt/do belts even matter?
Is lifting even going to help me?
Would it be better to be a box of quarters or a room of pennies?
>>
>>38440534
already have about 3 years boxing and tae kwon do experience but that was about 10 years ago.
>>
>>38440171
They are. The wrestle-boxer is not a meme. Ask Hendricks for more details.
>>
>>38431958
Almost all the mma fighter use this styles... they don't use kung fu or aikido...
>>
File: rousey back mount armbar.gif (4MB, 240x425px) Image search: [Google]
rousey back mount armbar.gif
4MB, 240x425px
>>38440652
>>38440534
Expect to get submitted by people 10 times less strong you are
>>
Explain this to me: German Kommando Spezialkräfte (like Delta force), Kampfschwimmer (like Navy Seals) and the GSG9 all learn Wing Tsun.

Look at the Sifu, the guy who's training those guys.
https://youtu.be/_Opy6KejAnQ?t=207

He learned Karate and WT.

I'm not saying MMA or Muay Thai aren't as good. Quite the opposite, I've trained MT for 6 years now.
But why do the elite commandos learn WT instead of MMA or MT?

I'm looking for another sport since MT is starting to bore me and I looked into WT. Just looking for opinions
>>
>>38440756
Im ready
>>
>>38439136

Help me out here folks.

Judo place is run by a former Romanian national team member, and was a coach of the month on USA Judo, which seems like a stamp of approval.

But the place only offers 1 hr on Wednesdays, 1.5 hrs on Saturdays. Is that enough? Admittedly have never done a martial art/combat sport, but in most other sports that would not be considered enough practice time.

Is $50/mo. reasonable for boxing gym? I would likely have to ditch my normal gym membership. I am getting quotes from $15-$80 looking online, so it seems to be somewhat standard.

But the owner is likely going to prison for being a heroin supplier so I don't even know if I'm down with a place like that.
>>
File: Karate.gif (266KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
Karate.gif
266KB, 240x180px
>>38430767
>/mag/ - Martial Arts General
>no mcdojo faq
Add this
>http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
>>
>>38440860
Never go in shady gyms, they tend to close overnight and disapear with your monthly fees.
>>
File: spinning back kick mma girl.gif (3MB, 541x534px) Image search: [Google]
spinning back kick mma girl.gif
3MB, 541x534px
>>38440815
Germans speaking people have a hardon for WT I don't know why.
WT got a big base in Switzerland Austria and also Spain.
Some part of WT are cool, but if the gym doesn't do hardcore sparing, it will be shit. Source, me as I went to a WT school and the best student could barely see a takedown comming without punches, had never see one cut the corner or slip throug and were open to their own obliques kicks.
A shame.
>>
>>38434250
It leaves a lot to be desired. And MMA is absolutely not the end all be all of martial arts
>No shit like Pradal Serey, other full contact Karate, other styles etc.
>>38440748
Those styles worked long before they were done in MMA. As I said above not the end all be all
>>
>>38441098
So a WT school with a lot of sparring is valuable as a sport?
>>
>>38441098
>>38441764
>>38440815
who gives a fucking fuck? those guys all have guns. the martial arts in their training is nothing more than an ego boost.
>>
>>38441864
Jesus Christ you're retarded
>>
>>38440815

Because the goal of their training isn't sport. It's to learn how to kill and maim efficiently and effectively. Which is an almost entirely different kind of training from traditional MA.
>>
How are you supposed to get good with just 2-3hrs per week practice? Is this standard for judo?
>>
>>38434736
You're right, kickboxing should be included on that list.
>>
>>38441944

You're not. You might get good relative to other amateur judo practitioners who train the same amount you do. But really who the fuck do you think is gonna come out on top between one dude who trains 5 days a week and another who trains 1 day a week? This isn't fucking rocket surgery, jfc. Are you suffering from pugilistic dementia?
>>
File: Hatsumi Sensei.jpg (81KB, 768x1029px) Image search: [Google]
Hatsumi Sensei.jpg
81KB, 768x1029px
What do BJJ, Judo, and wrestling fags think of these ground techniques?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot03pdZl9gE
>>
>>38442027
cant go wrong with nutshots i guess

the rest is really standard whitebelt-tier jujitsu
>>
>>38442027
Its shit
>>
>>38442070
How so? What techniques wouldn't work and why?
>>
>>38442027
It looks like standard Japanese Jiu Jitsu to me, just with a ninja shtick for marketing purposes.
>>
>>38440035
Great combo
>>
>>38441900
no. the military has no incentive to train effective martial arts
>>
>>38442225
Jesus Christ you're actually retarded
>>
>>38442027
>>38442082
choreography
>>
>>38441997
No I just can't find a single fucking place offering more frequent classes/opportunities than that.

Boxing gyms are open almost every day 3-9pm near me. The two or three judo places I found have classes twice a week max, two hours max.

What is a beginner to do?
>>
>>38442235
>not an argument
>>
>>38442270
Literally so retarded all he can do is repeat /pol/ memes
>>
>>38442253
I have the opposite problem. I work night shift at a hospital and can only manage to go to BJJ classes once or twice a week, and everyone at the gym thinks I'm a fuckface who doesn't take training seriously.
>>
>>38442278
>actually implying the jews had nothing to do with 9/11
>>
>>38442253

Move to an area with better Judo gyms or pay up for a personal coach. Most of the beginner instruction you can learn from and apply to your own self-training on the days classes aren't available.
>>
>>38442283
find another gym that isn't full of children/manchildren
>>
How do I learn freestyle or greco-roman wrestling? Is it good to use in a street fight?

It seems like the only places to train it are in a school setting and I'm no longer in high school or college.
>>
>>38441944
It really depends on what else you are doing outside of judo. If you are also running twice a week, doing three day a week of something like stronglifts 5x5, one day of yoga for hip and back flexibility and attending one open mat per week, the two judo classes that are purely about techniques and application are plenty.
You won't be learning everything at once anyway because most legit dojos will have time in grade restrictions.
Although the judo time in grade restrictions are shorter than bjj, but not by much. Judo black belt in 7 years compared to 10 years in bjj.
>>
>>38440534
Redzovic's?
>>
>>38441944
Also addressing
>>38441997
Yeah, you won't progress as fast as someone that trains more frequently, but that should be obvious. You won't be good at kata guruma until you have done it 10,000 times. You will get to that 10,000 later than them, but you will still get there.
You will get there a hell of a lot quicker than someone that never starts.
>>
>>38441764
What the fuck is WT? Wu Tang?
>>
I have a bad knee from football as a kid. I have a bone growth that needs to be removed and I'm looking into getting surgery for it (can't weighted squat on it). Is there any possibility of me ever being able to do BJJ/MMA/MT or anything involving legs grappling? For now I'm thinking of just trying boxing.
>>
>>38442318
>>38442515
>>38442574

Thanks anons. I'm definitely going for it either way.

Could you tell me which of these looks better?

http://www.ulsterbudokai.com

http://www.judokan.org

First one has way more hours it seems, but no idea about instructors. No link from USA Judo Find-a-Club.

Second one run by someone who seems to have serious chops, but less hours (or maybe website isn't up to date). Has link from USA Judo Find-a-Club.

I know you guys can't decide for me. More so asking if ine is obviously shit compared to other.
>>
>tfw I'm probably the best/most qualified striker in the small ass town I recently moved in and the only BJJ teacher is a fucking pothead that always cancels training

I miss sparring so much, my punching bag became my best friend. How can I keep training without losing my reflexes? I feel that my already weak defense is going to get even worse.
>>
>>38442597
There are no wu tang schools. It's a secret. Never teach the Wu Tang
>>
File: combat sambo counter.gif (1MB, 380x222px) Image search: [Google]
combat sambo counter.gif
1MB, 380x222px
>>38441864
We're not all living in sharinmartstan. In many occasions the proportional and adequate response is a non armed one or they can't deploy their weapon.
see :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_s2rZR7IkQ
In 99.99% of the case knife disarm are bullshit. But this one is one of the best ever.
>>38441764
Yes it could. it depends on the instructor.
>>38442027
utter bullshit.
>>38442235
He is actually right. As retarded as it is. This is why military and police spent years studying akido, and its worst schools. There were some good schools but they were ignored because of philosophical bias.
>>38442253
If you got a full time job, twice a week is a good starter. Since you will need conditioning aside.
>>
>>38442743
Both list self defense as one of the things you learn, so that is a red flag. I'd probably try out both and pick the one that has an instructor that matches my learning style.
>>
>>38442785
>He is actually right. As retarded as it is. This is why military and police spent years studying akido, and its worst schools. There were some good schools but they were ignored because of philosophical bias.

not saying you're lying, I'm just interested in this shit. got any sources?
>>
>>38442824
USA Judo picked the fella in the second one as a coach of the month.

I know that means very little, but I feel like USA Weightlifting wouldn't nominate some jackwad PT or Crossfitter as a coach of note, so why woukd USA Judo highlight a BSer?
>>
>>38442785
The US military has used their own combat systems for ages now. LINE was the older one that has been repalced recently, but it's all about fighting while wearing full military gear and killing a person with your hands, there's no sport about it.

I don't know in what armies they'd be teaching random eastern martial arts with no effectiveness.
>>
>>38442785
Don't read the comments for that vid. Total ignorance at its worst.
>>
>>38438960
Not a bad plan, when do threads on /fit/ start autosaging?
>>
>>38443418
Somewhere >300
>>
>>38437145
Agreed but that one clip you posted is actually legit

I got taught a very similar technique in BJJ, obviously no eyepoke/nutshot but similar principles. And it's in a situtation like that where a nutshot might actually work, it's when all they do is teach you nutshots, that's bad
>>
>>38442825
>>38442925
Every branche of the armed force has its own "close combat". Units under the JTOC also have their own, some units training by themsleves.
In many countries especially in Europe 1st lines units do their own training
>>
This is the greatest thing about MMA.
You can literally just design a move set from any and all martial arts. This includes the ones like krav maga or silat for armed forces. Its better to have a set you are comfortable doing and want actually want to learn than to have nothing. Any martial art if used properly can and will work. You just need to train the motions untill it becomes instinct.
>>
>>38442503
Grappling in the street is a no no . its helpful in 1 on 1 fair fights. In most street/bar fight settings its a good way to get your head kicked in or stabbed.
>>
I have no ground game. Given that in a bad situation I am most likely going to be facing a big guy (for me) who just wants to bear hug, how would I resist being dragged down? BJJ is too expensive and homo for me so I signed up for MT which had just the right amount of homo.
>>
>>38443696
Gotta love Jeet Kune Do, I mean MMA
>>
>>38442763
Make one of those headbands with stretchy cord attached to a tennis ball, do rounds on the bag of nothing but slip/roll and counter, get a friend to throw some punches at you and l try and keep your eye in. After I retired and got a job working offshore I had the same problem trying to stay sharp. There's not much to substitute for sparring/partner drills
>>
File: kyokushin.gif (988KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
kyokushin.gif
988KB, 500x245px
How do people do kyokushin karate for years and not die?

Being kicked in the head and punched in the stomach with no padding on a regular basis seems like an easy way to permanent injury.
>>
BJJ on it's own or MMA?
>>
>>38444017
Whatsup T? I got more sparring to do tomorrow. I need to work on relaxing in the ring. I get too tense and that helps the other guy hit me lol.

>>38444091
The Human body is an amazing thing.
>>
>>38444091
Bruh I've been doing full contact karate for 13 years now and have gone to tournaments since I was 16 years old. It isn't as bad as you think and permanent injuries aren't common.

You get rattled a bit but they never let it get too bad. Being kicked in the head sucks but it isn't the end of your martial arts career.
>>
>>38444154
Haha not much man, just killing time watching people dig a hole.

I know it's really hard at to first to just breathe, relax those shoulders and actually LOOK at what's going on. You'll notice that experienced boxers don't look hyped up and amped when they're sparring mostly, it's all calm.

Try and remind yourself before you start and in between rounds that it isn't a fight. It's really easy to get the adrenaline pumping, and as soon as you get hit all that relaxing goes out the window. Just have to remember you're not there to knock each other out, it's all about learning and practicing. Give it time, you'll get there

The hard sparring and the ticker test comes later, when you're getting ready to fight
>>
>>38443805
When you're clinching/cuddling and you give your opponent a kiss on the cheek

Juuuust the right amount of homo
>>
>>38444568
For sure bro.

I'm gunna hit the hay early. I'll be back tomorrow
>>
>>38442763
Also, what experience do you have? Amateur or Pro? What styles? How long have you been training?
>>
>>38444639
Let me know how you go!
>>
File: 1471149745863.jpg (591KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471149745863.jpg
591KB, 1920x1080px
http://www.newyorkmartialartsgym.com/muaythaithaiboxing.html

does this sound good or should I pass?
>>
>>38443773
God fucking dammit. Every fucking time I want to join a thread and have a civilized discussion about martial arts, some faggot like you opens his mouth and blabs about street fighting. What is it with you people? Why do you have this insane dedication to spreading disinformation and bullshit about grappling and fighting? No one, and I mean NO FUCKING ONE wins a multi man street fight by themselves. It's fucking fiction! Grappling, striking, whatever, the average trainee doesn't win against five dudes and don't you fucking dare post that retarded ass video of the Turkish dude punching those old ass men charging him in a line because unless you that dude or fucking Hercules, that's not happening. When you're a fucking master or a legend or whatever then that's a different scenario but there are multiple examples of dudes using wrestling, BJJ, judo, etc to win against the average drunk frat boy/thug.
>>
>>38445111
Dumping your pasta on the wrong post >>38442503
>>
File: ryan-hall-heelhook.png (430KB, 731x374px) Image search: [Google]
ryan-hall-heelhook.png
430KB, 731x374px
>>38444125
bjj is great on its own. i would focus on it for about 6 months to at least know the basics. if you fall in love with it keep going and cross train Boxing or Muay thai. if not just start doing MMA
>>
>>38445111
people who shit on grappling have never experienced my standing kimura or just been in side control
>>
systema
>>
>>38445478
go back to /asp/ weebfag
>>
boxing + judo or muay thai + judo? Boxing seems more practical but MT looks fucking brutal. Help me choose /mag/.
>>
>>38445542
just try all of them. most gyms give you a free week
>>
>>38445542
Depends what you're going for. Try them all because why the fuck not, but if you want to compete then yes MT can be fucking brutal. Cut city. If you just want to learn some stuff and be fit it's the same as any MA that has proper sparring and conditioning work in the classes
>>
>>38445542
There's also Dutch style Muay Thai which has more focus on your hands and using them to try and set up fight ender kicks. My unqualified opinion is that it's more useful than either boxing or MT alone.
>>
>>38445793
I can't find a gym that teaches that though. Where do you go?
>>
>>38445828
Just get super flexible and watch andy hug/ernesto hoost videos lol
>>
>>38445793

The reem would agree.
>>
>>38445891
Is he still in the UFC?
>>
>>38445917
Facing Miocic for the title on the tenth
>>
>>38445943
Who's your money on?

I'd like reem to win just because I know nothing about miocic
>>
>>38445917

Yeah he's on the 203 card going for the heavyweight belt.
>>
>>38430767
What is the best fighting style for tanks? I've found that in fights, I either can't see a punch coming or I can and I just can't do anything about it. I'm not afraid of getting hit, I just want a style that compliments it.
>>
>>38446017

What the fuck are you talking about? Tanks? Go train at a boxing gym.
>>
>>38446017
You should probably stop fighting then. Life isn't like the movies where you get beaten like a redheaded stepchild all your life and be okay in the end
>>
>>38442027

The first few positions from mount trying to set up the collar choke seemed normal, but really bad balance. The escape wasn't set up very well. After that the standing guard was meh. But they knew the right way to attack joints, even if they weren't common competition locks. Even then, no resistance and unrealistic transitions.
>>
>>38445828
I thought it would be more common outside of Thailand since it suits western styles more. The only gym of any worth in my area did both boxing and dutch muay thai. You should ask the coaches you're considering if they will teach dutch style. Might be they're just not advertising it.
>>
>>38446017
Well, even being tanky, a manlet with average strenght but somewhat trained can make big damages, so should you want to be a tank you'd have to be a dodge tank
>>
>>38446290
That's funny, down here Australia it's all Thai/traditional MT. Every man and his dog goes to Thailand and trains there for a bit
>>
>>38442696
Sounds like BJJ might be good for you until your leg is better, absolutely no reason you can't train around that and drill submissions from top position where you are less reliant on your legs, you could also learn simple takedowns that don't require lifting your opponent's body weight off the floor, and start learning all that shit after surgery.
>>
>>38443467
Not really, best rear naked choke defence is either to drop your weight and use seoi nage, if you're quick. Or to actually grapple out of it

>posture head up to stop the hand coming fully behind the head
>pull down and wrap the arm that comes behind the head
>use free arm to free neck and duck head underneath choking arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrsBlDDA0Lg
>>
>>38430767
What up /mag/.

I've been doing shotokan karate for 11+ years and counting (18 now, though, so most of that shit doesn't count) but I honestly don't think it's practical in a fight on the street or whatever. Also I'm helping set up a new dojo, so I don't have anybody who can really teach me to fight at the moment, and nobody to fight against, so I'm falling behind everybody else.

Anyway, I need a new martial art to take up to fight with. Both in a bar when I inevitably get some angry dude in my face, and in the ring the next time I see those pricks from a few dojos over.

What should I be looking for? I'm considering either boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai, probably either the former or latter. Open to suggestions though. Preferably cheap, a striking art and also not as structured as karate. Emphasis on fighting is the name of the game for me.

Also I'm an Ausfag (Melbourne) if that makes a difference.

Please help, /mag/. If you do, I'll browse this thread and contribute my shitty opinions, since my style of shotokan is from a legit organisation.
>>
>>38447478
Shit, sorry guys, by 18 now I mean I'm 18 years old. I've been doing this shit since I was around 7 or 8.

Anyway, please help. I need a new martial art to start learning.
>>
>>38438960
Karatefag here, please do. I freely acknowledge that my martial art has turned to shit, but I can also see that Krav Maga is even worse.
>>
>>38447478
I'd say kickboxing/MT, because you've already got a lot of experience throwing kicks and there are a lot of good gyms that cater to those two in Melb. I'm pretty sure Hammer has his kickboxing/MT gym down there.

If it's cheap you want, boxing at a PCYC is about as cheap and no-nonsense as it gets. Plus as much as people rag on them, PCYCs consistently turn out some fucking tough, good boxers. You might find it a bit strange to be limited to the hands though, with your background.
>>
File: paul harris.webm (837KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
paul harris.webm
837KB, 1280x720px
who /injured and sitting home/ here?
>>
>>38447620
Yeah, that's my line of thinking for MT or KB as well. Hammer's gym is a bit out of my way (about 1 train line over, a bitch to get to) so I may avoid going there. Any other suggestions?

Also, what do you mean by PYCY's?
>>
>>38448272
I know everyone hates Palhares, but I love watching him in submission comps, he's exciting to watch.
>>
File: paul harris 2.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
paul harris 2.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>38448305
I don't have an opinion on him. Fun to see his GH strength in a grappling setting
>>
>>38448280
Police and citizens youth club, I think it stands for?
http://stkildapcyc.org/
They are like big, public gyms. They usually have a weights room, basketball courts a pool, tennis court etc. It's hard to explain, but it's like a poor man's all in one spot. Heaps of karate clubs, dance clubs, every kind of bloody club used their halls for training n shit. A lot of them have a boxing ring and some bags n stuff, and the trainers are usually ex-pro's and ex-golden gloves guys. You'll probably be training with a bunch of bogans n lil scums but it's worth it if you decide to box.
>>
>>38448280
As for the MT/KB, I fought a bloke from Prestige gym, maybe a year ago now, and he was pretty mean. I've heard good things about Dynamite as well. Not sure if they will be too far for you though.

If you want to get some fights under your belt, the amateur fight scene is great down there, you'll have no problems getting onto a card ever hahaha
>>
>>38448407
Ah, Ok. Which program would I sign up for? They seem to mostly have youth boxing shit.

Also, you seem to know Melbourne. Any other options as far as boxing or MT goes? I'm in the South East burbs, but go to school 20 mins out from the CBD.
>>
>>38448481
Awesome. Thanks for the tips, man. I'll definitely consider amateur fights once I have a few months in an actual fighting style under my belt. It'd be nice to fight non-karate people for a change.
>>
>>38430767
No one /Savate/ here?
>>
>>38448496
Just go down and have a chat to whoever runs the boxing, let him know what you want to do and they'll guide you. I've seen plenty of guys 18-20+ training at pcyc's so you should be alright. You can get into the amateurs at any age, and I'm sure that if you train there for a bit and they see you're serious then they'll put you in the squad.

Ehhh I don't really "know" melbourne, just heard about a few gyms and fought some guys from down there.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 494x622px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 494x622px
>>38448512
No worries, it's nice to be able to help out people looking to get into it
>>
>>38448513
Savate is great, but it's so fucking rare. I couldn't even find a place within a 100 miles of me when I lived in France, let alone anywhere else.
>>
>>38430767
What's best for boxing :
>Lighter weights + high amount of reps
>Heavy weights + low amount of reps
?
>>
>>38448551
Even in Europe it's rare?
>>
>>38448559
Cardio
Cardio
Cardio
>>
>>38448559
In my experience, light weight. You'll need conditioning, speed and endurance more than you'll ever need raw strength.

Low rep is only comes in if you're not fighting in the near future, so you can build strength so you build more power and be more explosive

But I'm sure someone will disagree
>>
>>38448272
I am. I watch bjj, sambo, judo and wrestling for hours and dwell around here and leddit/bjj
Fell throuhg the stairs. Going to get the plaster off today, but at least 1 more week without bjj/grappling/judo.
>>
>>38448566
Yeah, it's been eclipsed by kickboxing and MT.
>>
>>38448607
But, Kickboxing and MT are inferior. Savate actually trains you to fight in street clothes and has excellent well rounded stand up game.
>>
>>38448607
>>38448614
Yeah I'm living in France and since Savate gained some popularity among women lots of gyms have turned to shit. Thankfuly the gym I go to still provides serious Savate training and all the women following the trend leave after the second lesson
>>
>>38448594
>those meme moves that don't work
aikido tier
>>
File: seoi to juji v2.gif.gif (2MB, 588x438px) Image search: [Google]
seoi to juji v2.gif.gif
2MB, 588x438px
>>38448614
Stop drinking the KoolAid bruh.
>>
>>38448643
It's for grappling only, not for self-defensssssssse or streeeeet fighting...
A good set up and anybody could pull it once or twice against a lower grade until purple.
The finish works even against blackbelt but is actually a dick move since you can injure your partner
>>
>>38448640
Where in France are you? Admittedly I was nearer the Italian border which may have had something to do with it.
>>
>>38448706
Lyon
>>
>>38448744
I was in Nancroix, so not as far away as I would have thought.
>>
File: water is for pussies.webm (79KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
water is for pussies.webm
79KB, 600x338px
>>38448681
>A good set up and anybody could pull it once or twice against a lower grade until purple.
I just disregard stuff that doesn't work in a competition setting or against good brown and black belts

t. brown belt
>>
So I read the whole thread. What is the best MA for self defence? Some say BJJ is valuable some say it's not. OP says Karate is valuable, this Melbourne fag says it's not. Apparently the Kraut special forces use Wing Chun but some say that it's a shitty MA.

I don't know what to believe any more. I just want to learn self defence
>>
>>38449065
I would say something that will let you throw someone to the floir fast as possible (e.g. judo) or give you reallly fast hands and a good guard (e.g. boxing).
>>
>>38449065
Most karate is not, op says kyokushin. If your art doesn't have you do full speed sparring against an unwilling opponent, then it is no good. Otherwise, if you are going for self defense, pick a grappling art and pick a striking art and you are good.
>>
I just started boxing, and the current schedule for beginners is 2 times a week. It's going to increase to 3 after around one year. What would you guys recommend I do outside of boxing? Running or strength training or both?
>>
>>38449065

no idea, but logically i'd pick a MA that isn't used in competitions and that doesn't teach fancy kicks, flips and all that crap

a MA that teaches movement, distance from opponent, good striking and kicking techniques as well as defense

then you'd also want to have the ground game covered, preferably a MA that teaches how to get off the ground quickly, gain upper hand on ground, or to disable your opponent quickly

on top of that i'd want a MA that teaches you about the joints of the body, where and how to strike kidney, liver etc. what to bend, snap, punch etc. to really fuck someone up

if you get something that covers all that, and keep yourself in a good physical condition, you could probably make the best out of only having your body available to you in a self-defense situation

if you really wanted to get into self-defense, maybe learn something that can de-escalate a fight without causing too much injury, if some uppity frat boy is getting tough at a bar or something, maybe Judo or Aikido for that, idk

btw if anyone knows of a MA that comes close to these parameters i'd like to hear about it
>>
>>38444802
>http://www.newyorkmartialartsgym.com/muaythaithaiboxing.html

The site looks iffy. I can't tell who is actually your instructor. Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu is actually in Thailand now - she has a blog documenting her time there.

Cosmo Alexandre doesn't appear to be a regular teacher. That leaves the other two people as your likely instructors.

See if they'll give you a trial class and a drop in fee for a couple of more classes so you can get the feel of the place.
>>
>>38449552
Realistically, MT and wrestling/BJJ is about as good as it will get for self defence. Best combination of controlling someone who wants to take you to the ground and striking at all ranges, especially in close with elbows/knees. For some weird reason a lot of people want to get right in your face when they pick a fight.

Nothing will prepare you to fight off four people at once, and at the end of the day random one on one fights are rare.

Call me weirdo but I don't like the whole idea of learning this stuff as "self defence" simply because it gets more people in trouble than out of it, thinking that because they're halfway okay in training that they can take risks they otherwise wouldn't have. Learn it with the hope and aim to never have to use it
>>
>>38449451
Do both but what are you boxing for, to get in the ring on a regular basis or to look good? If you wanna fight, then run a lot more than you lift. If you want to be stronger/bigger then lift more than you run.
>>
>>38449552
great job describing all martial arts. just try everything and see what you like. if your school or univ does wrestling fucking GO, if theres a Muay Thai/bjj gym FUCKING GO, if theres a boxing gym near your workplace FUCKKING GOOOO. so many people get anxiety about choosing the right martial art off the bat. but there is no right answer. you never know what you will enjoy or what you will be naturally good at so the best thing to do is try new things.
>>
>>38450327

whole point was to find the MA best suited purely for self-defense though, that rules out a lot of MA's
>>
>>38448588
I'll disagree. I've found that heavy-ish compound lifts (cleans, squats, deads etc.) and plyometrics are the best for boxing, as with lighter weights you might as well be doing cardio. You'll need strength and the such for explosive power (as you said).

>>38448559
>>38448569
>>
>>38449065
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
BOXING
WRESTLING
MMA
>>
The majority of the time I pull my punches since I'm afraid of hurting my partner but I don't have much qualms about getting hit back.

I feel as though this is limiting my sparring training, what mindset should one have when letting their hands go?
>>
2 questions lads.
1. Anyone here near Glasgow or Scotland in general? Looking to start a m.a. but there appear to be few gyms nearby, and the ones that are seem like mcdojos. Ideally looking to start MT or BJJ.

2. How has being involved with m.a. affected your everyday lives. Getting involved with a physical, competitive hobby seems like fun and good for your fitness, but how else has it changed your day to day?
>>
>>38450414
>whole point was to find the MA best suited purely for self-defense though

Sounds like you want some bullshit RBSD art where you practice knife defence and stuff. Just go and learn how to throw people at judo or how to knock people out in boxing, it's all you fucking need unless you actually plan on prolonging fights.
>>
>>38450500

Lived in Edinburgh for a while. My experience was most places offering s martial art are mcdojos, however there are some legit boxing gyms you can rely on.
>>
>>38430767
I did boxing for a few months but in the end I didn't think it would be worth the possible health problems in later life. No sport is really worth guaranteed brain damage.
>>
>>38450500
Go learn Judo, there's shit loads of clubs in Glasgow.

>How has being involved with m.a. affected your everyday lives.

Made me a calmer, more confident person. Not because of any kind of philosophy stuff, but because I have a structured outlet for any stress that builds up, anything that annoys me during the day can easily be worked through in training. I'm not smashing people, I'm just working through problems in my head on how to deal with certain situations in judo, and it becomes a massive stress reliever.
>>
>>38448935
Because I pulled the finish against another black belt in an open mat. It was a friend brown belt at the time that used it a lot.
>>
>>38448566

The good Savate men were eradicated by WW1
>>
File: 14124242.jpg (12KB, 261x218px) Image search: [Google]
14124242.jpg
12KB, 261x218px
I miss old /asp/
>>
>>38451003
You and me both. The only board with good tripfriends. And Wu.
>>
does boxing training develop upper body muscle or is it mostly cardio?
>>
>>38451387
It does, but not in an aesthetic way.
>>38451097
There is a /mag/ going on there now.
>>>/asp/1622996
>>
>>38451453
better than skinnyfat
>>
>>38451644
>192cm 96kg
>Skinnyfat
implying.
>>
>>38451453
Yes, but the quality sucks compared to here
>>
File: 05-Saadulaev-vs-Marques.gif (3MB, 280x164px) Image search: [Google]
05-Saadulaev-vs-Marques.gif
3MB, 280x164px
>>38452301
I'd better have a poor one than none at all... Plus I can post good ol'.gif and .webm and try to raise the level.
>>
>>38451453
/asp/ sucks shit
it is known
>>
>>38450438
It's an argument that has been going on for years haha. I think if you can actually translate your gains from regular heavy lifting to your punching/movement then go for it, but you could practically start a new thread just about arguing the point
>>
File: 1472135722403.webm (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1472135722403.webm
1MB, 500x280px
>>38452968
I'm not going to bring them the /ra/pture, but some good .gif will save a few souls.
>>
>>38450495
Have you actually hurt someone in training before?

Try to remember that it's boxing, and if your sparring partner can't handle getting punched at all then they should look at doing something else.

Establish before you start your rounds what kind of sparring you're doing, whether it be light, slow, counter, fight-intensity, jab only, whatever. Knowing what you're trying to achieve with a sparring session might help you get rid of that fear.

Don't be that toughguy who relentlessly hammers people less able or experienced than you in the gym, but you are learning how to fight at the end of the day.
>>
>>38430767
I feel like Judo is one of the best styles to learn because street fights are grapple-heavy and bareknuckle punching can lead to a broken hand so it's best to avoid it if you can. Best course of action: Throw the opponent to the ground and finish him with a few strikes.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>38451453
That thread has some faggot using the term "cuck belt" seriously. The entire board exploded like fucking Chernobyl.
>>38451003
>we will never have meet ups with the guys from old /asp/
>we will never be able to beat the shit out of each other to settle our grievances
>>
File: boxing brawl.webm (2MB, 676x480px) Image search: [Google]
boxing brawl.webm
2MB, 676x480px
>>38453915
We could have the ADCC regional qualifiers or the IBJJF Mundials...
>How it would end,
Webm related
>>
Well, the one boxing club reasonably close to me is closed due to some drug-related dealings, so judo it is.

Do you guys pay to lift at a regular gym as well?

Seems like a martial art + lifting could run into $1000+ a year, never mind the people who do two different martial arts.
>>
>>38453523
I'm not very good at controlling my punches, I'm the lightest guy there but when I pop a shot I either tap lightly or I crack it really fast.

The majority of my sparring partners go really light save for a few heavy hitters. This has also led to me having a potshot style of boxing as I'm not very good at pulling off combos.
>>
>>38455032
Shadowbox and mix up your punch speeds. One thing I learner that really helped with control was doing super slow shadow. I mean really slow, focus on controlling every tiny movement. You could also have an issue with gauging the distance and varying your tempo. Work a double end bag, ALOT, to help get your eye in and build that accuracy/timing. Doing distance drills on the bag (Outside, mid-range and inside, focussing on moving around with the bag) can also help. For tempo, get on a bag (heavy or double end) and do rounds of different speeds (lightning fast, your normal speed and then slow it right down) Still aim to have to have sting in the slower punches but don't throw them 100%. You've got to really be focussing on what you're doing with both these drills, no slacking off or going into autopilot. Varying the speed of your punches is a great way to put your opponent off and makes combos even more effective.

While you're learning to put combos together, try and spar more with the guys who can control themselves better. You need to learn how to throw combinations and the big hitters aren't doing anyone any favours by forcing you to throw hail mary punches rather than learning proper boxing. It's ego bullshit
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Any kickboxing advice?
>>
>>38456828
Yeah kick them and don't get kicked
>>
>>38457022
What'sup T. Its that boxer dude again . I had my sparring today. Went 4 rounds, 2 with the coach and 2 with his son. By the time I heard the 30 second bell at the end of the 4th round I wanted to collapse but I somehow made it. I've been moving my head a lot better and trying to stayvmuh more relaxed to let my body flow and punches fly. Landed and took a few good ones. My elbow is a bit sore from blocking one hell of an uppercut.

I got 2 more days of intense cardio and Sunday is my rest day. It will be 2 weeks in a row that I've gone/worked out 6 days out of the week. Feels good breh
>>
File: pepe.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
51KB, 657x527px
>nearest martial arts classes of any kind are an hour drive without traffic
>>
>>38457134
invent ur own martial art
>>
>>38457058
Fuck yeah, that's good to hear man. What did your coach say about the session, was he happy? Either way, keep it up!

It's hard but rewarding hey? Hopefully your body will get into the routine of it quickly and then you're set. Make sure you post any big stuff like fights or whatever in this general hey, it's cool to read about some progress stuff that isn't all about weights
>>
>>38457171
>based entirely on clinch game because without clinch grapples it becomes mcdojo karate to see who can do the flashiest kicks
>trips, grips, pushes, throws, tosses, etc.
>throw in some nut shots, neck jabs, and eye gouges because why not
>green belt is the highest belt because fuck you
>give it a cool japanese or korean name like hajido or nuleun sangtaeseo
>>
>>38457284
Sounds like knockoff Judo
>>
>>38457294
You told me to invent my own. You didn't say make it a good one.

At least hajido would have physical conditioning and full contact sparring.

You're just mad because you'll never have a >greentextbelt
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 746x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 746x743px
>>38457284
>>
>>38457186
I will bro. When I start looking real sharp I'll start posting some bids of my drills

They were happy with me for sure. They always tell me I get better and better everyday, but today especially they were happy with me. I'm slowly making progress. I started 2 months ago and I've made insane progres.. Hopefully I'm in the amateurs in roughly 6-8 months.
>>
>>38457284

seems fun but i advise getting a black belt in judo and practicing boxing for at least a year before trying to make something up like this
>>
>>38457352
My nigga

>>38457379
I actually have a black belt in judo and a red belt in hapkido. I took judo for eight years (hapkido for 4 and a half) when I lived in a different city. I just moved out in the sticks and there's no place for me to practice these days.
>>
>>38457410
Fight peope down at your local pub?
>>
>>38457423
It's a dry county. No alcohol sales allowed. 'Merica.
>>
>>38454088
What the fuck was wrong with fucking redshorts that man should never box again
>>
File: 0e3.png (187KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
0e3.png
187KB, 600x339px
>>38457284
>green belt is the highest belt because fuck you

Green belts on black gis look sick 2bh famalam
>>
>>38454088
"Oh no, he hit me in the head, how dare he"...

Fucking pussys.
>>
>>38457428
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>38457428
What the fuck? No. This is the land of the free. Sue them. Or buy a gun.
>>
>>38457514
If you don't like combat sports with all their rules, why don't you head over to your local ghetto and pick a fight with Tyrone and Jamal and the rest of their nigger clan.
>>
>>38457428
Do you live in Mayberry?
>>
Should I take Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
>>
>>38457467
>black gis
>>
>>38448640
Sounds stupid brah. You need those people. They bring money into the gym Money allows a gym to survive, thrive and grow.
>>
>>38457514
>I've never been in a fight in my life

A punch to the back of the head is fucked in or out if the ring. Even literal assfucking fags know the danger of it.
>>
>>38448513
We do some savate based stuff at our gym, but no pure savate.
>>
File: point5.jpg (14KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
point5.jpg
14KB, 250x202px
is it true if i punch someone in the axillary nerve near their armpit they will fall over in immense pain?
>>
>best self defense art
>MMA
>Boxing
>wrestling
The best self defense is jackie chan logic. No trable
>>
>>38457734
no make a pipebomb
nothing beats a well placed pipebomb
>>
>>38457734
>carrying a baby around is somehow good self defense
>>
Hey I thought you guys might be able to give me some advice.

I train boxing and today while sparring I was almost certainly knocked out for a second. I didn't go down but my vision went black for an instant and I kept fighting afterwards so I don't think anyone noticed anything more than me taking two jaw blows. I started feeling really anxious about it after I went home so I stopped by the doctor and he said I was alright and just had a simple concussion to the face and told me to take some painkillers and rest for three or four days. I feel fine so far, but I'm still kinda anxious about the whole thing, soany tips to fully recover from that kind of stuff? Should I lay off the computer/TV at least for a day? Should I just go to bed? (I'm feeling pretty sleepy right now)
>>
File: Guybrush644fe90746c5827.jpg (43KB, 637x347px) Image search: [Google]
Guybrush644fe90746c5827.jpg
43KB, 637x347px
>>38457732
>That picture
>>
>>38458288
Just follow your doctors advice and take it easy. We always used to get told not to sleep with a concussion but I'm pretty sure it's changed. If you still feel unfocused and hazy tomorrow then go back to the doctor
>>
>>38458311
holy shit, are you me
>>
File: tumblr_mxc2aoBsBN1sj5h7go1_500.gif (593KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxc2aoBsBN1sj5h7go1_500.gif
593KB, 500x281px
>tfw you want to learn your culture's native style of MA
>tfw it's so niche that it's not even really in America, let alone where you are

Shit sucks...
>>
Does shadow boxing help you?

My knuckles are all scabbed from punching and now I need to shadow box
>>
>>38444091
Kumite.... Lots and lots of fucking kumite...
>>
>>38447422
all they do is fucking talk? /nosound
>>
>>38448496
Not the anon you're talking to, but where in the SE? Supafight Gym in St Kilda seems pretty serious for MT.
>>
>>38460092
Turn the volume up? There's sound when I watch it.

Here's a different video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2e0IsqhrQ
>>
>>38460629
I mean I have no sound

thanks for vidya
>>
>>38458288
Dat brane damage
>>
I'm looking to buy my first pair of shinguards in a couple of days, do you have to spend a hefty amount on them? Or could you just be fine buying a cheap pair around £30-£40? The big name brands are around £90 and I'm jewish with my budget.
>>
>>38459343
What is your native country's martial art?
>>
>>38455677
Yeah I need to incorporate more shadowboxing into my routine, I'm planning on doing atleast a round or two in the morning. I'm still getting the hip rotation adjusted for my punches as usually I'd punch with my arms instead.

I've never really thought of doing distance drills on a heavybag, it's a neat idea actually since I have quite a short range I find it difficult trying to get into the pocket of a larger opponent as I get tagged alot since I have the nasty habit of loosening my guard for more speed.
>>
>>38459429
Shadow boxing, when done properly, is the best thing you can do to improve your technique, hands down. It's absolutely essential if you want to improve in any area of boxing.

As for the knuckles, I never found a way to stop mine from getting calloused, I could never rest my hands long enough for them to heal. Hopefully someone here has a magic cure.
>>
>>38459429
If you don't look good shadow boxing in front of a mirror, you won't look good boxing period.
>>
>>38461189
Yep, shadow is your best friend. If you're still embedding the basic skills then I'even recommend dropping a round or two of heavy bag and doing more shadow. Can't overstate how important it is. It wil definitely help with not dropping guard when you punch, because you can see how open it makes you

And yep, there's a lot more to bagwork than just blasting it for three minutes at a time. Staying in close to it all the time could be reinforcing your bad habits too. When I was teaching new starters, excessive heavy bag without a trainer watching is probably what caused most trainee's fuck ups.
>>
Gonna start bjj tomorrow. Hope it goes well im in undercover police so i need it
>>
>>38461692
>T

T-tosh? Is that you?
>>
>>38433236
Why would you ever even put Judo and Wrestling in the same sentence?
>>
>>38441914
thats an excuse, nothing about wing tsun makes it any better at quickly disabling someone than most other effective martial arts
>>
>>38442785
>In 99.99% of the case knife disarm are bullshit. But this one is one of the best ever.
most disarms work if the guy isnt even looking when you start the move.

fuck its like this bitch i know who was training kempo-arnis, and she was showing me a "takedown", by pulling my head back from behind
>but why would i allow you to get behind me
>oh anon it only used on people who dont know you are there
a fucking push can make someone fall if they dont know youre there
>>
>>38462083
Because Judo and GrecoRoman, depsite their many differences, will give you a good selection of throws, and so fill a similar niche.

Freestyle is obviously a lot different, but I'd wager he meant GR.
>>
>>38451003
>>38451097
i miss you namefags,we had some good time breh

even wu was kinda funny
>>
>>38457451
>What the fuck was wrong with fucking redshorts
being mad the other guy is clinching and presenting the back of his head so he wouldnt get punched. its a pathetic stalling tactic and i applaud redshorts
>>
>>38457732
no
1. its a small point and punching with your entire fist will put less pressure on the nerve
(and ding those retarded finger punches from kung fu will only break your fingers)
2. there are bigger nerve clusters in the body like the famous solar plexus or the testicular plexus that hurt more
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 500x327px
>>38462068
Who's that?
>>
>>38462387
Old namefag on /asp/. He was a semi pro MMA fighter.
>>
>>38462472
Sorry to dissapoint ya. I was a pro MT/Boxer for about 10 years though
>>
>>38462496

Have you ever thought about learning to grapple too?
>>
File: 1468978658209.jpg (288KB, 1080x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1468978658209.jpg
288KB, 1080x1254px
Do you think I can bodybuild (3-5 days/week),work 8 hours shift and train kickbox 2-3 times a week.
Am 21 and have access to good nutrition.Am not aa beginner to lifting either but I can't take being a coward with a good body anymore....
>>
>>38462472
>He was a semi pro MMA fighter.
you drank his cool aid did you? it was just TKDbrah pretending
>>
>>38462522
I had the urge a few years ago, started doing some wrestling/bjj work at the mma gym we shared a building with. Stuck with it for a few months but it just wasn't for me, really don't enjoy being all locked up with a sweaty bloke like that. Not having a stab at people who grapple, I just hated it haha

I'll stick to MT clinch work thanks
>>
File: 1364787809668.gif (2MB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
1364787809668.gif
2MB, 320x181px
>>38462083
Because they got a lot of similarities. That's why he did it.
>>38462222
Your quads are nice, but I've seen the same disarm go wrong for the so called self-defense expert.
>He stayed longer in hospital than the guy he tried to disarm.
When it's for real, given the murphy's law, the unexpected happens very often.
>>
>>38462569
Sure, you'll probably be sleeping every minute you're not training or working but it's do-able. Just make sure you get one full day of proper rest for a month or so when you start, you might burn out otherwise
>>
>>38462569
Actually it wouldn't be that hard, forgot about 8 hour shifts. It's practically the same as doing alternating weights/cardio routine, except you'll be getting hit
>>
>>38462630
>>38462711
I'll only know if I try,just wanted someone to tell me am not committing suicide
>>
>>38461904
if you tap your a bitch
>>
>>38463898
try me
>>
>>38463982
okoy fum
ill do my classic let you take me down, so i can frantically try and grab a kimura
>>
>>38463898
I aint stupid enough to play hard. I could smoke a lot of people with brute strength but i know technique and ego matter more.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.