[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squat Alternatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: olympicSquat.jpg (305KB, 787x800px) Image search: [Google]
olympicSquat.jpg
305KB, 787x800px
I'm coming off an ACL reconstruction surgery and my doctor said that I shouldn't do squats again due to it. Has anyone else been given this recommendation after a knee surgery? If so, what did you replace them with? Can I get the same results with leg presses?
>>
>>38425286
I would squat anyways and test the waters. Slowly build up.

And the moment you feel discomfort seek therapy, or just stop, up to you.

Plenty of athletes have "career ending injuries" but they continue in their sport.
>>
>>38425593
I've thought about doing that but I'm nervous of re-injuring it. I like to believe that doctors know best, I have a checkup in a week and I'm going to run it by that doc also and see if he agrees that I should avoid them or not.
>>
I switched to bent over rows and lunges after getting a hernia. I don't miss squatting at all.
>>
>>38425286
Speak to a doctor experienced in sports science, you should be being referred to physiology anyway

And what do you mean by 'same results'? If you mean big legs, absolutely you can do it without squats. In fact squats aren't really enough for siqqq legs in most people.

Personally, I squat because I like squatting so I'd find a way to, starting with lunges or leg press may not be a bad call though
>>
He's a doctor, he just might know a thing or two. You don't want to fuck up your ACL again, and unless you are a proffesional athlete I would find another way to train legs.
>>
>>38425593
>Plenty of athletes have "career ending injuries" but they continue in their sport.

Plenty = some that have world class drugs and will gladly sacrifice their longterm health.
In the real world an ACL reconstruction means that the game is over.
Your leg will NEVER function the same way it did and even approaching exercise like everything is the same is horribly irresponsible and just plain fucking stupid.

>>38425286
I just replaced heavy squatting with high rep bodyweight stuff, lunges, and single leg exercises.
Stretching, warming up, and not going so far that you're hurting your knee is key.
>>
>>38425909
A hernia isn't even in the same ballpark as an ACL. The location of the hernia is stronger after the surgery. You just sound like a pussy
>>
>>38426015
Which is why I am avoiding them and going to wait until I talk to another doc before I even consider a squat

>>38426019
>>38425945
I did squats because they were one of my favorite exercises. Can confirm my knee feels nowhere near the same, when doing sports I feel I can't make cuts off that knee without it hurting and when I jump and land I compensate big time on my opposite knee. Somehow didn't even think of lunges, going to give those a shot to mix it up, just getting bored of leg press and want some variety in my leg workouts. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>38425286

Deadlifts?
>>
>>38425286
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12917862

The ACL surgery createas a ton of fibrosis and stiffens the ligaments in order to "patch" the original function of the ACL but it's not 100% the same function technically anything that involves flexion/extension of that knee is practically and effectively fucking it up unless you're on gear, athletes can bypass the pain and the lack of strenght because of gear and usually end up fucking up that knee again, and again, and again the question is do you have enough money to go through 1-2 roid cycles/year and 2-3 knee surgeries during your lifetime to make it worthwhile? you can squat, but you'll never be able to go all out on it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.