[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 47

File: MAG.jpg (81KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MAG.jpg
81KB, 500x500px
/mag/ - Martial Arts General

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and facts:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

LIST OF COMBAT PROVEN, EFFECTIVE STYLES:

•Boxing
•BJJ
•Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
•Kyokushin Karate
•Greco-Roman Wrestling
•Catch Wrestling
•Sanda/Sanshou
•Sambo/Combat Sambo
•Judo
•MMA (cheaper and easier than studying the above individually)

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•Participants compete at amateur or professional level
•Physical condition part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning
>>
This is my dilemma:

Lift heavy weights so i get bigger, chances are gypsies won't attack me since they always go for the weakest possible target..

OR

Martial arts, so i have a slight chance of defending myself once they attack me.

For this year, i chose the first one..
>>
>>38403260
Lift weights to get big for the time being (if you're tall it helps even more), walk with a sense of purpose, don't be afraid

However I also advise boxing once or twice a week for cardio, more confidence, plus self defense

And they'll respect you more because they like boxing
>>
>>38403403
I am not completely sure if i got enough time for gym+boxing at the same time. Oh yeah, and money neither.

Being a student, and currently trying to complete two BA degrees at the same time + part time job + gf + College for advanced studies. Hope i can start some martial art training next year.

Opinions about MuayThai for a person without any fighting experience?
>>
>>38403194
this martial arts shit sound pretty good. I dont have time to go to a gym , or something like that, and in my country, only way you can do a sport, is to start young... like 12-13 years old.
Is there a martial art style that can be doing at home? where I can find instruction for this?
>>
>>38403453
It's great. It'll kick your ass first session (due to intensity of the movement and such, not literally lol) but you'll get into it quick

It feels great because you feel badass, learning all these ways to move your body that you'd previously only see on TV. You'll almost certainly progress well, start sparring when you can and train hard and you'll be golden

>>38403574
You don't have to start young to be good at MA. You'll never be world level maybe, but easily competent enough to kick most ass. I would heavily advise doing martial arts at home as you will almost certainly get things wrong, drill bad habits (no one there to correct you) and no sparring so you can't actually test your skills. If you absolutely must stay at home for whatever reason, I advice doing a solid 3 months minimum of boxing then buying a heavy bag and practicing combos, which can be found on YouTube/learnt at class

But I say again, I REALLY advise you to go and get some initial training at a gym first
>>
>>38403194
Karate has its place but I don't think anyone should just do full contact karate by itself. You'll lose to a boxer or thai boxer every time
>>
>>38403750
True, I'll change the OP around next time

Why doesn't /fit/ like martial arts?
>>
>>38403820
Probably because narcissism and steroids won't save you from someone who knows what they're doing
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Any other ex-pro fighters here?

I was pro kickboxing for 5 years and pro boxing for 7, in all I was gettig paid to fight about for 10 years all up. I had pro fights in both disciplines over that time, bit of overlap once I started pro boxing. Never made it out of Australia unfortunately

Just want to hear some other guys experiences with the fight game and retired life.
>>
>>38403820
Most people can't handle actual martial arts training so they don't have anything to say in these threads.
>>
My hands get super fucking sweaty in boxing gloves and its causing my knuckles to tear up when I punch. What do?
>>
>>38404008
Wrist wraps you dongus
>>
>>38403260
Where are you that gypsies are a major problem?
>>
>>38404023
I use wraps
>>
File: 1463355728406.jpg (144KB, 603x524px) Image search: [Google]
1463355728406.jpg
144KB, 603x524px
Going to get my purple belt soon boys
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>38404042
I had the same problem and this is what it can end up looking like. That same knuckle on both hands looks like that from punching/knuckle push ups. Some people get it some don't

Either man up or put your hands in petrol every day like that old gypsy boxer
>>
>>38403897

is it better to do MT or straight boxing

or start off as boxing and then do MT?

i feel like Muay thai have worse hands
>>
>>38403194

i'm starting bjj this week. will go to class at 5:30 am. dont know if i will be able to be consistent
>>
>>38404190
Muay Thai has great hands for Muay Thai.
>>
>>38404190
If I had my time again I would have boxed first, just so that the footwork and strategy of boxing was more natural for me. I'd say try both and see which feels more natural, but if you want to be a fighter I'd say start with boxing. A good boxing base will take you a long way in amateur MT.

It's not completely fair to say MT has bad hands, because the style is so different. You can't set up or ground yourself for a lot of punches the same way you can in boxing because you leave yourself open to elbows, knees and getting thrown by a good clincher.

But as I said, a genuinely good boxing base helps a lot, especially when fights go the distance and you both don't have the energy for non stop kicks/knees
>>
>>38404134
I kinda figured it might be inevitable. Had two nice divots on my middle knuckles but I let them heal up over a vacation. Guess I'll suck it up again.
>>
>>38403260
im 5'8 170lb and ive dont jiu jitsu for 6 years, im so fucking confident whenever I go anywhere. its a good feeling being able to throw around 6ft 200lb guys around like babys
>>
>>38404341
You could try wrapping your hands differently, building up the wrap so it pads over your knuckles as well as bracing. Might help? Never did for me but it's worth a shot, people comment on my hands a lot and it's annoying
>>
>>38404054
Dang, go hard!

How long have you been training?
>>
File: 1440628310875.jpg (22KB, 700x333px) Image search: [Google]
1440628310875.jpg
22KB, 700x333px
>>38404415
I joined my gym just over 5 years ago. I was out for a year though as a white belt with shoulder surgery. Did a small amount of training before that, but I would barely count it.
>>
>>38404455
was shoulder injury bjj related
>>
>>38404485
I don't think it was. Was preexisting, just got worse. Might have been from skiing.
>>
>>38403750
bullshit. "full contact" isn't full contact to begin with. UFC without a cage
>>
im 40 and am taking up bjj, but am unsure about boxing and muay thai because of head punching probably not good at my age (or any age) , but some people seem to be able to take it
>>
>>38404054
nice bjj is literally the only thing I enjoy in life
>>
If you do taekwondo don't even bother posting itt
>>
what is fits opinion of wing chun kung fu?

I practiced it for 2 years before I had to stop for grad school and am looking to get back into something
>>
>>38404596
>mfw I work at my gym
>>
thinking about joining the judo club at my uni

problem is i broke my collarbone last year playing rugby and had to take a few months off lifting

are injuries common in judo? i understand the first thing you learn is how to fall so i feel i may just be paranoid
>>
>>38404596
hey that's how i feel about oly lifting
>>
>>38404635
Shoulder injuries extremely common. Give it a shot though.
>>
>>38404616
Meme kung fu.

lol jk, it's great for reflexes, you have to get a really good instructor though. I wouldn't recommend it as a primary martial art, but supplementary it can do wonders and it's really fun.

Go for it, but don't believe those stupid Donnie Yen movies
>>
>>38404556
Don't stress about it, I trained plenty of guys that age for their first fights and as long as you're smart in training and don't go to war in sparring every day you'll be ok. People seem to think you take a punch and turn into Gerald Mclelland but it's not anything like that

Unless you're impossibly unlucky
>>
>>38404640
i want to do oly or powerlifting soon; but not sure how to organize with my bjj

maybe i'll lift oly lift 3 times a week and do bjj 4-5 and take sunday off
>>
>>38404190
>>38404320
Basically what this guy said
>>
>>38404658

thanks

yeah yen movies are fun to watch, but when he chain punched that jap into the ground it was not realistic
>>
>>38404670
I would say if you are REALLY into bjj this would be beneficial, since there's a lot of strength involved, but it may be too much for your body.
What you could do is split your days so you have some to rest
>>
>>38404616
I always admired the speed and control required for wing chun, it's some next level shit
>>
>>38404754

ya i may have to take more rest than i'd like
>>
>>38404455
How much brute strength do you need in bjj? I know technique is king but it seems like you still need to be bloody strong
>>
>>38404792
you build your own personal game based off what works for you, but it takes years to develop, you dont have to be super strong, you build great stregnth in gi training with all the grips
>>
File: 1443648839479.png (1MB, 934x682px) Image search: [Google]
1443648839479.png
1MB, 934x682px
>>38404792
It's good to be strong, but endurance is more important. Some moves are really hard to do against stronger people, and some aren't that much harder. A lot of it comes from technique and movement.

I will say that our best grappler is inhumanly strong. I feel like a child when grappling with him. He was a high level D1 wrestler in addition to being a a former UFC fighter.

For instance, the current champ Tyrone Woodley said to Rashad Evans after saying he wanted to wrestle him: "He will crumple you." He had beaten both of them in college.

He's the sort of strong though that you don't get from lifting. I don't know how to describe it.

Anyways, an example from today might help. For instance, one of our guys is very strong from lifting. He is a personal trainer. He is a purple belt. I am a blue belt. We went live twice today. I submitted him once and held him down in side control for most of the rounds. I was able to do that because I am better than him. The submission was a leglock which tend to require less strength. I wasn't able to perform any upper body locks though due to his strength. However, on all accounts you would say that I won mostly because I was better. I am a bit bigger, but he is definitely stronger.
>>
File: avoidthis.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
avoidthis.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>38403194
>>38403820
PLEASE MAKE THIS THREAD A REGULAR HERE!

I fucking hate /asp/. they just suck WWE dick and ironically recommend systema and kungfu
>>
>>38405095
>I miss old /asp/
>>
Go to the alternative sports board, we don't need yet another general
>>
>>38405188
idk much aboot old /asp/ but its fucking cancer now
>>
http://horizonma.com/

McDojo?
>>
>>38405425
yeh my bullshit detector is going off. isnt there any legit bjj schools in buffalo?
>>
>>38405762
>Buffalo
>legit
Pick one. Easily the worst city I've ever lived in.

http://www.buffalounitedmartialarts.com/

This looks much better though, no?

...I miss Miami.
>>
>>38403194
any other wrestlers here? Struggling to find a place around me. Its hard, grappling is one of the few things i truly enjoy.

>>38405233
fuck off m8 /asp/ is full of faggots
>>
File: Hall.gif (1020KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hall.gif
1020KB, 500x200px
>>38405809
oh yeah your right. i was thinking albany, they have a 10th planet school.

that one looks way better, at least its not aimed at kids
>>
>>38406006
Who is the dindu? That kick was fucking surgical.
>>
>>38405233
Kys faggot
>>
>>38406019
Uriah hall
>>
>>38403897
How many times a year did you usually fight? What was the pay like?
>>
Any NZ bros know a good place to learn?
>>
Only have time forBJJ or MT, which one?
>>
>>38404038
Hungary
>>
>>38405233
>/fit/
>not /aes/thetics
>not /bb/uilding
>not faggit board
Leave, my boy.

/mag/ sounds good my dude
>>
File: 1455020303095.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1455020303095.gif
3MB, 400x300px
What is this move called?
>>
>>38407230
deadlift
>>
I'm a lazy piece of shit, cycle a lot and do some running. I can never get myself to the gym though. I'm considering joining a Muay Thai gym and go their beginners classes. I have basically done no strength and conditioning for 4 years. Will I just embarrass myself? I am not a fat fuck or anything, I do have some stamina.I just think that working out while doing a martial art, with a consistent group of people, might actually get me to stick to something for a change. Or am I delusional?
>>
Please, PLEASE keep making these threads. /asp/ fucking sucks dick and /sp/ just shitpost about ufc, no training threads or actual content.

I did MMA last year, will continue from September after exams, trying to build a solid strength and conditioning base until then.
Would love to do straight boxing or bjj additionally but no time and money.
>>
>>38408247
I was probably my most fit doing track in high school when your a part of a good group you won't want to miss out on being there.
>>
File: 14718652944859134105.jpg (427KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14718652944859134105.jpg
427KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw Monday, start of my 6 day workout week

Feels good brah. Get to spar twice this week. Going to get my bells rung but I'll make sure I ring a few as well .

Airing out the wraps since they smell like death
>>
>>38404924
oh god, Mackenzie Dern.... she knows how hot she is
>>
>>38403194
Been doing BJJ more than a decade, I'm mid 20s, and I tweaked something in my lower back while rolling that felt like a siatica attack.

Any way to prevent this in the future, was it just back luck,
>>
>>38405248
>>38405188
Old asp was the tits, it was this thread but the whole board

We even had our own supermang called Wu Style Tai Chi

It was great, fucking gook hiro
>>
>>38406624
Anywhere between 3-10 a year. depending on how badly I got hurt in each fight. Some of those were 4 or 6 man eliminators so you're fighting two or three times in the one night there

I got paid fuck all, the least I got was 200 bucks for showing up to this absolute shit show of promotion. The most I made was 2k
>>
>>38408406
Sparring is the best, I miss it a lot. Light sparring, working on tricks and feints and angles was the shit
>>
>>38408247
Go for it. You'll probably feel uncoordinated and useless next to the fighters and regulars at first but stick with it for at least two weeks and give yourself a chance to get your head around some basics.

I guarantee you, 100 fucking percent, that you will not regret it.
>>
>>38408888
Fuck I miss old /asp/ nowadays you get one grappling general and nothing else
>>
I was looking into Judo because I heard that its the boxing of grappling, in that its cheap and effective.

All the judo places near me are like $10 a session and that works out to be the price of some of the MMA places near me. I just wanna learn to throw people fuck
>>
>>38403194
So it is decided that manlets should grapple and lankets should strike yeah?
>>
File: img12-1920.jpg (984KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
img12-1920.jpg
984KB, 1920x1280px
>>38404596
same here. I like all the grappling sports though.
>>
>>38407230
supplex
>>38407964
This looks more like a dl.
gif related
>>
how big should I be before I take up kickboxing?

I'd feel like a bit of a tit going in there in my current state (6'5 skelly)
>>
>>38409580
Everyone should grapple and strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2M32B7BtxA

>>38409775
Don't, you'll be GOAT if you train and compete in small weight classes

Literally train as you are now, if you are worried about strength don't be, it'll all be covered.
>>
File: kimura.jpg (84KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
kimura.jpg
84KB, 600x384px
>>38406976
BJJ
>>
File: mma.jpg (99KB, 1200x838px) Image search: [Google]
mma.jpg
99KB, 1200x838px
Hey /fit/, next summer when I have more time and money I was thinking about starting martial arts training. I'm relatively strong (500lb deadlift, 405 squat, 300 bench) but I got some bodyfat, I'm certainly overweight.

I was thinking about learning either Boxing or MMA, not only because I want to learn how to fight but also I hear it's a great way to get into and stay in peak physical condition.

Any recommendations? I'm a complete noob to martial arts
>>
>>38411454
Boxing !!
>>
File: diaz.jpg (88KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
diaz.jpg
88KB, 1200x675px
>>38411454
MMA m80

if your a complete noob then doing MMA will expose you to all the different aspects of fighting and you can find what you like the most
>>
File: wombo combo.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wombo combo.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Any of you fags could pull this off in a street fight?
>>
>WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
>•Cult-like atmosphere

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>38412003
Against some guy on the streets ? Yeah

Against a pro fighter ? Fuck no.
>>
>>38404615
I wasn't going to, but I feel like now I have to.
>>
>>38412003
fuck man, that combo was incredible. That's some IRL daigo shit.
>>
>>38412003
he literally looks like someone who slowed down time to land those punches.
>>
>>38412003

In this clip,Cerrone fights like most guys imagine they would fight in real life
>>
>>38412027
dogmatic
>>
Fuck off the /asp/
>>
>>38412027
I went and tried a Gracie Barra JJ gym that didn't allow you to use gis other than theirs to promote their own company. They would also bring in guests from their HQ and charge like $50 to go and attend their "lecture" which was likely all geared towards promoting their shitty brand.

Needless to say, I went and found a local boxing gym run by a former Olympic boxer from Guatemala. Way cheaper and he coaches guys that actually compete. I'm still interested in learning JJ just not with GB.
>>
>>38412334
That sounds epic famm .
My trainer used to do mitt work with Jermain Taylor
>>
>>38403194
Should I pay $70 for 13 weeks of Jiu Jitsu fundamentals from a professional MMA fighter? It's 2 times a week, 2 hours per session.

I'm thinking of going because it coincides with my school schedule
>>
I'm looking into a dojo near me, but with my schedule, I can only make it twice a week. As a martial arts noob, can I still make progress like that?
>>
>>38403194
That sounds really cheap honestly. Around me, most gyms charge 120+ per MONTH. Go for it.
>>
>>38412445
Meant to reply to >>38412362
>>
>>38412412

Going even once a week, you'll progress. It'll be slower obviously but if you're still going you're getting exposure
>>
>>38404924
its called tard strength
>>
File: 1470943824663.jpg (37KB, 440x386px) Image search: [Google]
1470943824663.jpg
37KB, 440x386px
>>38403194
>Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo, optional)
>supplement with TKD
>effective
>>
>>38405188
t. Vince McMahon
>>
/asp/ might aswell be /wwe/
>>
>>38411454
Try them both my man, why limit yourself to just one? You might end up wanting to compete in one style and just train in the other

I'd have gotten into MMA if I had known of any worthwhile places to learn it 10-11 years ago, but it just was not a big "thing" back then in Aus
>>
>>38411454
Also, don't expect that lifting strength to really translate into fighting the way you might think it will.
>>
>>38412412
Yep, some training is better than none. If you've got a mirror at home then welcome to world of shadowboxing/kata practice
>>
File: Icame.jpg (35KB, 455x427px) Image search: [Google]
Icame.jpg
35KB, 455x427px
>>38412445
>tfw i pay 30€ per semester for training two times a week.
thanks hochschulsport
>>
>>38409775
No need to bulk up, you'll get all the strength and muscle you need from actually kickboxing. I packed on a bit because manlet (5'7") and I fought within about a 10kg range but if you look at most kickboxers lanklet is the norm.
>>
>>38412027
Any traditional school.
>>
Was thinking about picking up MA as an addition to lifting. Last thread recommended to combine BJJ and MT, still confirmed as best option?

Ive been looking around for a gym which has both past week but cant find anything near me. I dont have a lot of extra time apart from fitness and work. Also if they gym doesnt support a fitness area it can also become quite expensive
>>
File: Hall_Deep_Half_Guard.jpg (30KB, 845x433px) Image search: [Google]
Hall_Deep_Half_Guard.jpg
30KB, 845x433px
Anyone here like Deep Half?

Fucking love to tool bigger guys with this. The regular sweep is pretty effective against most blues and whites and I can always transition to waiter sweep if I want to threaten the higher belts.
>>
>>38413829
Where do you live? You might have better luck finding a good boxing gym
>>
>>38403260
Alternatives: practice springing, distance running, parkour, Krav Maga for escapes

Carry a gun.

Travel in groups.

Move to a nonshitty area/ country.
>>
>>38413829
Amsterdam

Yeah I think I have to start looking at other options. No perfect setup of gym+MT+BJJ somewhere between work and home
>>
>>38413836
ryan hall is gr8. i just torrented some of his DVDs
>>
been doing bjj twice a week but recently found a wrestling gym that does boxing too near me (which is extremely rare in the UK, wrestling is non-existent). Atm I'm doing wrestling bjj bjj but thinking about wrestling wrestling bjj or even boxing.

Anyway I'd say the best way to try out a gym is to go to a few places' free trials and you'll know if they're mustard or not
>>
What's up /mag/? I need some fitness advice.
I'm currently 5"11 and 175 lb skinnyfat.
Former boxer. Getting back into it next month (maybe Muay Thai instead)

I'm aiming for 160 lb. What's the best routine of cardio and/or weightlifting to get my feet wet, shape up for boxing?

Right now I was thinking calisthenics + jogging + bag work, since that's what's available to me. How should I factor in weightlifting, if at all?

I'm really out of shape now so I'll be starting slow.
>>
>>38408247
The hardest part is getting through the door the first time. You'll enjoy it.
>>
>>38405810
If you're in college then you could wrestle club or try and find a team near you to join if you're good enough. Are there any local clubs near you or even highschools that you could help out at? It's better than nothing
>>
>>38414233
Running + jump rope + calisthenics.
>>
>>38409561
$10 a session? What.

Netherlands is around 30 to 40 euro's a month for 2 - 3 times a week.
>>
>>38408247
I was in almost the same position as you when I started, except without any cycling, running, or exercising at all. In fact, I didn't even know how to jump rope (or talk to people).

Easily one of the best decisions I made was finally starting. The hardest part really is showing up the first time, but I think that skill and ability are not the most important part of training. The most important part is the mental effort you put in.
>>
Thank god this is starting to be discussed on /fit/. The state of /asp/ is fucking disgusting.
>>
Really considering starting.
BJJ looks pretty fun.
Fought a friend who had been going to it for 6 months the other week.
I only won because i'm bigger and stronger, but he almost had me a few times.
>>
Sailorfag here we do MCMAP(marine martial arts).
It's a cookie cutter regimen with all sorts of martial arts combined into the program if anyone knows about that.

Some of the guys here have seasoned experience in other arts like hs wrestling or bjj. I don't have that kind of edge like them and I always get smoked no matter how much I do.

We typically do ground fighting on the sand and pugil sticks every now and then. But when we spar it always leads to a ground right.
I'm saying too much to where I need to get at, what martial art is effective for ground fighting??
>>
>>38406006
>10th planet

Have fun training with people in one of the lowest genetic rungs possible.
>>
>>38408510
Don't play positions where you can be stacked on your spine.
>>
>>38407230
I believe that is the suplex throw
>>
>>38413836
I've started playing around with it a bit. Have had a little success. Not great at it. Mostly use it on purple and up. Been meaning to work the waiter sweep, but haven't.

I mostly use SLX, X/overhook X, Butterfly and Half Butterfly from the bottom DESU. I usually go into deep half as an escape.

I think deep half has fallen out of favor in the top level scene.
>>
>>38414292
They aren't subsidized here.
>>
>>38414633

>I think deep half has fallen out of favor in the top level scene.
Like pretty much everything, bjj is cyclical. Early 2000s we saw a lot of spider guard and xguard, then the deep half stuff started showing up, being replaced by the berimbolo game in 2010 and lapel guards in the more recent years.

I see a lot of people praising half butterfly but I personally don't really see why it's better than a z guard or deep half. As a sweeping position it doesn't seem to offer a lot of options.
>>
>>38414233
Just do what you used to do when you were boxing, plus some extra ROM stretching and dynamic warmups for your legs if you want to get into MT. In terms of weights, I'd recommend low-ish weight high-rep/timed exercises. Low rep only really comes into play when you've got a lot of time to build strength/power before a fight. Just worry about building the endurance to move and throw non stop for at least 20 minutes

C'mon man, if you used to box then you already know what you should be doing.
>>
>>38414711
Because half-butterfly connects to butterfly, single x and x guard. It also allows for more offbalance than z-guard and hides your foot protecting you from leg locks.

It's pretty obvious. You try to get under them for single x or x, if it's not working you can sit up to butterfly.

Comparing deep half to half butterfly is not a good comparison. It would be more appropriate to compare it to x guard or single x.
>>
>>38414233
High rep compound movements*

Don't go doing shit like curls and tricep pulldowns lol
>>
>>38403194
OKAY EVERYONE

Fave strike/combination and ground thing (not my strong suit)

I'll start - Cross-slip-left rip-roll-uppercut-pivot hook aaand the gogoplata(choking someone with ya shinbone looks hilarious)
>>
Hey guys is Jeet Kune Do any good?
>>
>>38414977
Never seen it before
>>
>>38413858
>Amsterdam

World capital of kickboxing, Muay Thai and functional Karate? And you claim you can't find a good place? m8
>>
>>38414428
What you said, BJJ. Try and do no-gi more, and get as much rolling (BJJ sparring) done.

>>38414977
Will be trying it in my uni soon. It sounds a bit LARPy to me, but I believe every art has something of value
>>
>>38414633
>I think deep half has fallen out of favor in the top level scene.
Deep half was never something you'd use in the Mundials finals desu
>>
>>38415167
Tell that to Bernardo Faria
>>
>>38415185
Fair enough

What's your style, anon?
>>
>>38415205
As you can notice, I'm mostly a guard player that likes to invert and get under. Deep Half to Over Under Passing is my A game, tho I like to use RDLR and spins to the back and crab ride positions. From the top I work on armbars and from the back I use bow and arrows..

My open guard is pretty shitty, and I think that's why I rely so much in DHG because I can get there pretty easily with pressure passers.

Purple, 5 years in.
>>
>>38415289
>My open guard is pretty shitty, and I think that's why I rely so much in DHG because I can get there pretty easily with pressure passers
Interesting, I went from stuff like DHG at blue belt to DLR and hybrid guards (e.g. de la spider) almost exclusively at brown
>>
>>38415205
Is there a divide between people who prefer no-gi to gi?
>>
>>38416075
Yeah, pretty much. You've even got no-gi and gi specialists
>>
>>38404038
About anywhere in Europe.
>>
>>38416092
Interesting, which do you prefer?
>>
>>38416249
When I started off, I preferred no-gi because it was easier to scramble out of bad positions. These days I do gi almost exclusively
>>
How to get into anything if I have no money for this. I have too many things I am paying for and this one can't be squeezed in. Any advice for boxing and muay thai?
>>
Anyone into martial arts not for self defense or really competition (although it can be fun) but for the art aspect of it? For the learning and practice of the forms, and the expression of yourself physically?
>>
>>38414977
Yes, if you study well. There is no jeet traditions really, it is what you make of it
>>
Guys I just left boxing
Tomorrow is sparring day
My trainer says its going to be hell tomorrow, that they're going to correct some mistakes the hard way.

Wish me luck bro
>>
>>38416476
You'll be alright, pay attention, and remember the basics. It's your first time sparring I assume?
>>
>>38416500
Naw its not I usually do 4 rounds on Tuesday and Thursday. So I know its going to be hell because he would never say tomorrows going to be hell
>>
currently going through rehab for acl surgery
SHOULD I: wait until fully healed before going into martial arts (can't spar until then) or would it actually be worth while to attend classes?
>>
>>38416521
Oh shit man, have you been falling behind? Don't mean to sound critical but have you noticed any areas you might be lagging in?
>>
>5'11 150lbs
Want to start boxing conditioning class but I feel it might be too much for me, can anywhere explain what the usually training is?
>>
>>38416526
What are you studying?
>>
>>38416550
A shit ton of cardio and body weight
Great way to lose weight honestly, and a lot of fun if you've got the mind for it
>>
>>38416536
Nothing of the top of *my* head but who knows what's going on in their heads. They've been doing this shit since they were in their teens and have worked in and with the pros. They want me ( and i also want to )compete.

I've been going for 2 months and sparring for 3 weeks. So I'm thinking its just going to get really intense tomorrow or the main coach might have me on mitts. I'm still really raw obviously its only been 2 months.
>>
>>38416559
I was taking mma/muay Thai but have always been more interested in judo and bjj
>>
>>38416550
I would bulk if I were you
>>
>>38416666
I'm not so sure about BJJ but you could probably at least begin to learn judo as it heals, just don't push yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 248x249px
>>38416666
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 200x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 200x168px
>>38416666
checked
>>
>>38416666
>>38416823
>>38416858
samefag detected
>>
File: image.jpg (354KB, 750x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354KB, 750x735px
>>38416685
>I would bulk if I were you

I don't think his weight should keep him from taking the class, though
>>
>>38416661
Nothing like a bit of sparring to show up the weaknesses. Everyone looks good on the bag or on the mitts but you can't fake it in the ring.

Enjoy the days that push you to the limit, they'll be what you look back on with pride. Good luck buddy, bite down on that gumshield and as always

Listen
To
Your
Coach
>>
>>38416378
You can do some basic conditioning work by yourself but you honestly can't and shouldn't teach yourself how to box/kickbox. Stick to some skipping progressions, sprints/general running and bodyweight progressions and save the punching for whenever you can get into a gym.

It sucks but all the how to box videos on youtube are only good for giving you ideas for training and should definitely not be used as your sole guidance
>>
Paramedic here

How can I be a cool stand-by medic at combat sporting events like MMA, boxing, or NAGA? Where do I put in an application?
>>
Can I get some help on working out a conditioning routine? I've really let myself go and am totally out of shape, but here's what I'm working toward adopting.

30 minute jog (currently at 15 minutes, ~pace is 5mph)

A
Push ups 20
Squat 30
>(my form is garbage and core is weak, so this is what I need to improve on most)
pull ups 10
>(can't do a pullup, currently on lat pulldowns instead)
dips 10
Sit up 20
Shrugs 10
5 sets each, 1 min rest in between
B
jump-rope 1 min, 30 sec break, 1 min x6
Push up diamond 20
box jump 25
chin up 10
dips 10
Shrugs 10
5 sets, 1 min rest

Both days end with 5 minutes on the heavy bag, 2 rounds with 1 min break in between.

5 days a week, ABABA then BABAB for four weeks until I can get back to a boxing gym.

What should I change?
>>
>>38417466
Don't know about mma or Naga, but judo refs and coaches are required to have base paramedic skills when they are part of a sanctioned event, so there is not much of a need.
>>
File: flair.jpg (142KB, 758x688px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
142KB, 758x688px
>>38409561
When you factor in the cost of gear, judo is typically less expensive than most other martial arts programs even if the class cost is the same.
>>
File: aikido_shirt.jpg (114KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
aikido_shirt.jpg
114KB, 960x960px
a guy comes into your gym wearing this shirt

wat do?
>>
>>38417710
Try to hit him but for some reason my fist stops mid air only for him to tip his fedora, side step my extremely slow punch, and bend my fingers towards my arm and flip me with one hand.
>>
>>38417223
Will do partner.

I'll post tomorrow around 8 pm et and let you guys know how it went
>>
Is it normal to have fitness tests along with your actual technique tests on the mat for next belt level?

I study at a ninjutsu academy which is part of the Kokusai Jujutsu Federation and just tested for 3rd kyu (green belt) and had to do 50 pushups, have 10 hours of jogging logged in a fitness journal, and be able to do randori with 3 different opponents for 5 minutes without a break. There is also the actual belt test itself which involved me doing the actual techniques I had learned in the previous kyu (the 8 different kansetsu waza/joint locks, geri/kicks, and daken/punches).
>>
>>38414130
>>38414130
link pls
>>
Used to take boxing lessons, stopped going because I went to the hospital/procrastination. I'm embarrassed to show back up. Help convince me to go back?
>>
>>38416075
Sometimes. I prefer nogi, but I like gi too. Some guys pretty much exclusively do one or the other.

I like heeling hooking people so I like nogi and I like the nogi wrestling game better.
>>
>>38417941

https://youtu.be/C6fHb0BuLe4
>>
>>38417941

https://youtu.be/d7TWDUb0GAM
>>
>>38417856
sounds good in theory but 99% of people would quit really fucking quickly because normies don't want to pay to do this kind of shit
>>
>>38417856
I'm so sorry anon

One of my instructors realizes his ninjitsu instructor was a fraud when he was a kid and beat the shit out of him.
>>
>>38412334
That's unfortunate. I train at a Gracie Barra gym and you can wear whatever gi you want and they sell blank gi's as well for cheaper, although alot of people including myself just buy the GB one. I've only been training for 4-5 months but so far it's been great, the structured program seems like alot to take in at first and you don't really spend a ton of time on one thing but eventually you see it cycle through every few weeks or so and start to pick it up better. Haven't been to or heard about them doing any seminars either, and I doubt they would charge extra unless it was someone legendary or world class. It kind of sounds like GB has sort of a franchise approach, where there is a set curriculum but some things, like what gi you can wear and shit like that may be up to the owner because my gym sounds alot more easy going than that one.
>>
>>38417941
Just think about how alive and vital it makes you feel. The adrenaline, the accomplishment, the blood and sweat

Now get back in the gym
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 223x213px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 223x213px
>>38417709
That pic
>>
>>38417941
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
>>
>>38417472
For A, tey working a 10/20/30 circuit with chins, pushups and squats. No rest between exercises, only between sets and doing 5 sets. If you hit failure before those reps move to next exercise and keep going. Once you reach your goal on an exercise, add 1/5/10 reps next workout depending which one it is. And try doing pull-up negatives instead of pull-down, more effective in my experience

I'd look at doing some sort of row instead of the shugs, the movement isn't far off retracting a punch and it can help prevent the old boxing hunch. Either way, group shrugs/rows with shoulder circles, starting at 20 seconds in each direction(arms straight out to the side, doing small circles back and forth. Light weight, this is build endurance and help strengthen the shoulder girdle)

For abs, maybe work in some bicycles or mountain climbers as well.

Other than that as a quick buildup plan it looks good. There's a million different ways to do it but you'll be back in the gym soon anyway and your coach will give you shit to do
>>
>>38403194
What are the two best martial arts to pair with BJJ?
>>
File: RaiseHand.png (238KB, 483x635px) Image search: [Google]
RaiseHand.png
238KB, 483x635px
So, does anyone have heard about Lima lama? What's your opinion about it?

Just started training it, does seem bad, but there's something off.
>>
>>38418468
>doesn't seem bad*

Sorry for the typo.
>>
>>38418452
catch wrestling, sambo, amateur wrestling, and Judo
>>
>>38418452
There are a metric fuckton of people that cross train judo with their bjj to improve their footwork and takedown game.
There are also lots of people who pair muay Thai because of the standing clinch that dovetails easily into the bjj buttscooting
>>
How does lifting affect the body in martial arts?
Been doing taekwondo for 5 years now, just now thought about lifting. Asked my master about it and he said that from previous experience, he mostly just had to stretch more.
I figure that while I would get stronger, I might lose those required flexibility gains. 6'0 180 pounds here if that helps
>>
>>38418631
Most people that lift to supplement their training also work in some yoga so that they don't mess with their flexibility.
>>
>>38418644
That is a lie
>>
Guys Im a fat fuck 6'0 240 lbs should I lift first or take up a MA.

Which one would you guys recommend?
>>
>>38415011
This, kek.
>>
>>38414651
It isn't over here neither.
>>
>>38418050
That's interesting that you say that because I read elsewhere online that not all GB gyms follow that policy either. But the owner of the gym emailed me and asked me why he i didn't want to sign up and i told him mostly money was the issue and the gi thing was kinda stupid. He told me that he agrees but corporate makes him do it.
>>
>>38418734
Definitely lift, do cardio, and try to get /fit/ on your own first. As a former skelly, the discipline you gain let alone the physical gains are really important to help you stick with something once you start it.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 632x632px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 632x632px
Anyone know good gyms in LA by Westwood/venice/santa Monica? Not tryna drive into the sticks and get my bike stolen.
>>
>>38418734
Why not do both? Getting into a martial art makes getting fit a LOT more interesting, and there's nothing stopping you from lifting on days you aren't doing MA. As a beginner you're gonna be winning either way
>>
>>38418631
Your master is right, stretch more and get onto the roller frequently and you'll be fine. Just have to watch out for cramps and joint health, lifting and MA is pretty rough on everything
>>
>>38404376
Yea but tell me
How big is your dick
>>
File: image.jpg (195KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195KB, 1024x1024px
>>38419368
/fit/ and dicks
It's like theres a law that the longer a thread goes on, the higher the chance of dicks being raised

>No pun intended
>>
File: fucking.tards.jpg (28KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
fucking.tards.jpg
28KB, 500x339px
>>38413848
>crab manga

shiiiiit you dun guufed
>>
>>38417735
rekt
>>
>>38404623
Kek'd
>>
File: 1471092339339.jpg (94KB, 837x892px) Image search: [Google]
1471092339339.jpg
94KB, 837x892px
Should i go to the boxing gym if my "bodyweight exercise strenght" is fucking atrocious?

For example if we talking about pushups, i can do 10. One handed? I can do 0.

Can i go or will i embarass myself?
>>
>>38421719
Go in. I couldn't do ten 2 months ago and now I'm doing 125 everyday in sets of 25 and I'm sparring today and doing some mitt work. If you have a trainer worth a damn hell get you conditioned
>>
>>38421719
Boy if it's pushups you want to get good at then boxing is the sport for you
>>
i box and like it alot its good

funny to see alot of people talking about muay thai, seems like there is a really big difference in thai style muay thai and like 'kickboxing' my mates an MT purist and he'd be spitting chips seeing this

kinda wish the MMA meme would die down or there would be some alternative to UFC
>>
>>38421828
are you boxing in aus? i did some boxing australia thing last sunday in randwick under david birchell it was good
>>
>>38421920
Yeah mate, I fought/trained out of Brisbane until recently. You just taking lessons or looking to get into the amateur circuit?
>>
yo also how on earth are you going to supplement muay thai with taekwondo? i like taekwondo and think it's cool but it's damned near useless as a ''''''''''''''practical'''''''''' martial art
>>
>>38421956
brisbane? you have my condolences

yeah trying to get into amateur, i could have had two fights out of two diff gyms but i fucked them both up by going off the rails partying so i prettymuch failed in that aspect

back to training seriously and off the drink and im feeling it

any crash hot tips or tricks? seventy kg, boxer, sydney
>>
>>38421892
Yeah I used either name becuae I didn't think anyone here would really care. The differences are pretty massive, just look at how didferent K1 and King's Cup are.

I trained in MT but never really got into all the spiritual and traditional stuff that's meant to be a part of it. If I had gone to Thailand for some fights that probably would have been different.

Agreed, it can be exciting to watch but I think promotions hype the fights up too much
>>
>>38421988
Haha yeah man having to go into some bumfuck little town just get fights was pretty lame. Met some good people and got some wild stories out of it though.

Partying is the bane of every trainers life, especially with younger guys going for their first few fights. You weren't the first and you certainly won't be the last!

Work the double end bag like your life depends on it and practise throwing hooks/uppercuts while you're moving backwards/sideways. It's neglected a lot and in the amateurs, where a lot of guys will just come forward and throw non-stop, being able to accurately land a good hook as you step off or back is awesome.

The look they get when they realise that coming forward hurts them more than you is hilarious
>>
>>38418468
>Lima lama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limalama

lol this?
>>
>>38422078
yeah im not really comfortable with throwing good uppercuts hey. coach is heaps into defensive boxing and counterpunching so it's mostly heaps of work on that. what else go ham just drop any tidbits
>>
File: image.png (278KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
278KB, 500x356px
The fags over on bodybuilding.com forums vehemently swear that boxing is superior in almost every way to bjj. I have to disagree.
>>
>>38422149
It is.
>>
>>38422103
Counter-punching was my game in boxing, so I might have the same advice as your trainer

Angles are your friend, a little half step in either direction can put you right out of his line of fire and leave that tender body wide open for some rips. A lot of guys neglect their body defence and I don't know why.
Work doubles and opposite angles. Double hooks, double uppercuts and even double cross (long and sharp on the first, lead with it. Then use the motion of your shoulder coming back to take a short step in and piston another cross out) Opposites is thinking about say jab lead hook high then rolling under and throwing right uppercut/hook to the body. Imagine your opponents body divided into four section (like a square) and throw to a different section with each punch. Keeps them confused, and works really well when you suddenly drop a double in there
>>
>>38418468
this shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-mMLNuBp8
looks like then shotokan or w/e where you can't hit the head, so you end up never protecting head, also the throws look aikido meme tier
>>
>>38422103
And finally, it's dirty and the ref will get up you if he catches you doing it, but when you've got someone backed up and covering, throwing a punch and using that hand to rip their gloves out of the way is a good one. It's gotta be fast, and in close so that it isn't obvious but if you're on him and he won't go down it can open the guard for a big follow up.

Just don't get caught
>>
File: 1470959267935.gif (576KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
1470959267935.gif
576KB, 500x306px
>>38421892
Is boxing good as a start to get into MMA?

I am 18 year old and i would like to eventually move into grappling kicks etc. but i think Box would be a good start also it would help with my phyiscal condition.
>>
>>38422263
>throwing a punch and using that hand to rip their gloves out of the way

Not the guy you're talking to but also a boxer, not sure I follow

>>38422344
Yeah it's great, and if you get really good then that's an advantage you'll have against others. Remember, MMA is about all the different avenues of fighting, so getting good at one prior is a great move
>>
File: 20160613_111152.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160613_111152.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>38404635
Been doing judo for 15 years, I've had some shoulder and lower back issues, but that was mainly down to the stupid way I used to train.

Train intelligently and I don't see any reason why your collar bone would be an issue.
>>
>>38403194
>Muay Thai (supplement with Taekwondo)
>(supplement with Taekwondo)

Stopped reading right there. Shit thread made by a shitkid that know nothing about fighting sports.
>>
>>38409537
Last grappling thread I made died in 2 days anyway. /asp/ is fucking shit now.
>>
>>38403194
Wanting to start BJJ, what should I look for in a gym, also what size of gi should I get if I'm 6'5" and quite skinny also what brands are reputable?
>>
>>38422516
>6'5" and quite skinny

Whatever you get will look ridiculous on you so don't sweat it.
>>
>>38422357
Say you throw a lead hook, and his hands are up. You throw it light, let the punch slide off the front of his gloves, then pretty much reverse the motion but grab at his gloves as your lead hand moves back. Like I said it's only really useful when you've got them covering up, you wouldn't want to try it from distance or when you're just feeling each other out.
>>
>>38414977
Not really, the philosophy is right "take what works, leave what doesn't", but they got it wrong and still rely too much on traditional movements and attacks.

MMA is pretty much the same philosophy, but actually works.
>>
Hey /mag/,

Is it true that lifting can be detrimental in boxing? Seems like a meme to me, provided you keep your power-to-strength ratio optimal.

I ask because I am a 5'8" manlet who would probably be able to lean out to a light heavyweight. Would I be too small in this class? Would strength be helpful?

I guess same question for judo, as that is something I have been getting more interested in.
>>
File: ryan-hall-heelhook.png (430KB, 731x374px) Image search: [Google]
ryan-hall-heelhook.png
430KB, 731x374px
>>38417908
go to bjjpirates on facebook
>>
>>38422149
>>38422183
how the fuck are they even comparable? thats like saying distance runners are better swimmers than BB players
>>
>>38422829
>you're not allowed to compare one fighting sport to another fighting sport

woah
>>
File: 1462420918423.png (213KB, 442x341px) Image search: [Google]
1462420918423.png
213KB, 442x341px
>>38422782
lifting is great for all martial arts, but the problems arises when you spend to much time and energy on lifting rather than technique and conditioning.

also it could be detrimental to your career if your add to much mass and have to go up in weight
>>
>>38422782
5'8" and you want to lean out to light-heavy? How much do you weigh now? I'm the same height and fought between light and welterweight. You'll definitely be fighting guys at least 6' most of the time, and those long arms are a fucking bitch. I'd recommend going lighter but it's your choice really

If you're staying loose, flexible and explosive, not compromising cardio fitness or compromising your efforts in drills/sparring then sure, lifting while training is great. When it comes to fight prep though your trainers are who you listen to 100%. You'll need to be lifting if you want to fight at a higher weight category than your height would normally dictate.

A lot of old school guys don't like it because it's not necessary. Timing, accuracy and technique are what make punches really hurt, not big arms and shoulders.
>>
>>38422852
boxing and bjj are polar opposites with completely different rules. there is ZERO striking in bjj unless your jake shields
>>
>>38422939
Does he hit people in bjj tournaments?
>>
>>38422938
I pretty much would be light-heavy lean. I walk around at 178-182 lbs and am no more than 15%, no less than 12% bf.

To go lighter I'd probably need to quit lifting, which is not a real desire for me.

Point well taken re: lifting being secondary to fitness, drills, trainer advice, etc.
>>
>>38413836
Ryan is coming to my gym for a leg-lock seminar on Saturday. I'm pretty excited.
>>
>>38422939
So?
>>
>>38422516
I'm 6'6" 235# and have been pretty happy with lanky fight gear gi's. I wear an A4L.
>>
>>38422956
yeah man. stockton motherfucker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5zmRdO_yI&t=525s
>>
>>38423028
Ha! He's got a face that looks like he would punch people at inappropriate times

>Stockton must be rough as guts
>>
>>38423020

Yeah was looking at their stuff, are you happy with the quality? Good value for money?
>>
>>38422572
Oh right, I get it. Is that actually illegal? I do shit like that in sparring all the time haha, I should stop being a dick
>>
>>38422939
>Jake Shields

People shit talk Palhares, but fuck Jake "YOU BETTA RESPEK ME BOY" Shields
>>
File: Photo 23-08-2016, 15 03 22.jpg (81KB, 438x691px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 23-08-2016, 15 03 22.jpg
81KB, 438x691px
>>38410981
>>38413504
I'm a turbo lanklet though
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 500x334px
>>38423108
Yeah it's illegal and yes you should probably stop doing it in sparring all the time

I'd be so mad if I was your sparring partner haha
>>
>>38423108
>>38423211
illegal? thats one of the first things i learned in muay thai. theres literally nothing wrong with that move
>>
>>38423173
Yeah man don't worry about it, you won't get massive but you should fill out a little bit. You'll probably also get some nice abs which is always a plus.
If you get into it for a few months and are really not happy with your size then you can do some lifting I guess, just gotta decide when the time comes what your priorities are
>>
>>38423246
We're talking boxing here. In MT that's just part of learning how to set up an elbow
>>
>>38423101
Yeah, I'm very happy with the gi I purchased from them. I had a couple of the basic Fujis in A5 for a while, it's hard to find stuff for taller guys, the Lanky fits great thought. If you're the same guy I replied to, and are just getting started, make sure you buy something that's on the upper end of your size, wash it and dry it on high heat a couple times to get that initial shrink down and have it fit to your size, then let it air dry every time you wash it after that.
>>
>>38423173
You'll be Spike Spiegel mode from kickboxing.
>>
>>38423270
I've been lifting for about 2 months, put on 10kg through bulking (I was very underweight) - currently 92kg 6'5

is it a bad idea to do KBing at the same time as a 4 day routine? am I overworking?

>>38423309
an inter-galactic bounty hunter? nice

always been concerned about my wide hips
>>
>>38423302
Yeah I'm OP, thanks for the response dude, appreciate it :)
>>
>>38423400
Just a couple other tall guy notes...
You're going to be shitty at recovering your guard for a while, and you're never going to be as good as someone of the same skill with shorter legs. Be prepared to be stuck under someone's side control a lot.

Don't let someone control your legs in open guard with grips, always fight that grip.

Figure out how to use your height, most people aren't expecting to get triangled or omoplatad when they're standing up in your guard.

When you're ready, give spider-guard a shot, very advantageous for taller guys.

Good luck, hope you give it a shot.
>>
>>38423503
Wow thanks for all the advice, you've went above and beyond lol, appreciated
>>
anyone here with experience of Jeet Kun Do?

theres a local gym with a main focus on JKD lessons, would this be worth checking out?
>>
>>38417466
my dad was a paramedic and he used to be a cut man for a friend of his that was a heavy weight champ boxer and my city does an even every year called guns and hoses (kind of autistic i know) where firemen box cops just put yourself out there go to gyms and ask
>>
I do HEMA. I love it but after two tournaments in as many weeks and lots of travelling my legs and shoulders are fucked.
>>
>>38421828
>this
>>
File: DSC_0905.jpg (911KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0905.jpg
911KB, 2560x1440px
▶tfw /asp/ is now a sausagefest for rassle fags and wwe autists

I used to box on thursdays but since we're facing a lawsuit with one of the employees, I cannot go there for now. Still pretty rad that I get free session there since my grandma is good friends with the champ who owns the gym
also do some karate-mma whenever I'm free at 7:00 pm.
It's pretty great cardio desu senpai
>>
>>38413483
Hochschulsport is goat to get started, not so much for getting into details

B-berlin?
>>
Hey guys, just a question here.
I'm pretty young (pre-uni); I started lifting 2 years ago and have been going on and off since. I recently got back into my routine and am trying to get 1/2/3/4 lifts.
I also want to box in the future. Problem is, I'm on my bulk right now going to the gym 5 days a week. Should I just focus on lifting for now and start boxing once I hit my goals? Or should I try to make time and hop right in? I feel like getting a solid lifting base would be beneficial before starting martial arts but I dunno. Advice?
>>
>>38412027
just ask what they're opinion of MMA is and you'll usually find out from their response
>>
>>38413188
tkd is actually pretty good as a supplement since you get god tier flexibility, kick accuracy and endurance it's completely shit on it's own though
>>
File: 1453009346013.jpg (102KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1453009346013.jpg
102KB, 500x371px
Who leglock here?

>there face when I hit the shinlock
>>
How do you karate guys handle the the whole yessa massa i will clean the dojo and shine ur shoes aspect of most martial arts regiments?

After playing football bball and shit growing up I'm just so turned off by the whole master/trainee setup typical of martial arts, it's like man I want to learn but cut all this formality and like carrot on a stick of initiation shit out, let's just learn some techniques and beat each other up for fun

It's like some kind of power relationship the masters gets off on, seems to me that way a lot anyway
>>
>>38424288
Lifting doesn't mean anything in martial arts unless you're lifting specifically for that martial art. For instance with boxing, you don't need to pick anyone up off the floor like you might in grappling arts, so why would you prioritise deadlifting? If you do Judo, you want that kind of strength, and you want explosive movement, so why would you do loads of bicep curls and tri extensions? If you want to do boxing, just go and do it, speak to your trainer about lifts that might actually help.

>>38424403
Judo here, I want to learn leglocks but literally no one I've ever met involved in the sport knows any, and I've been in it for 15 years.

Also, no BJJ within a 50 mile radius.
>>
>>38424432
But I want to lift for the sake of lifting, to get stronger and look better. Boxing is something else I wanna do in the future. I'm wondering if I should focus on my current lifting goals right now and start boxing later or try to juggle both.
>>
>>38424432
I see some Judo people know leglocks from a bit of experience with Sambo.
>>
Not him but I would say try to juggle both. The longer you train the better. There'll be no advantage to being swole and an absolute beginner.

There's no downside to strength though. Lifting prevents injury.
>>
>>38424495
Well that's fine, lift and box. I thought you were talking about lifting to help boxing because you talked about a good lifting base for boxing. If you just want to look good, then do that, but your boxing might suffer because of it if it's something you really want to do.

>>38424509
You're right they do, unfortunately we don't get much sambo over here in the UK either. I'm moving soon and I should save a decent amount of money to make the round trip to BJJ a couple of nights a week too.

>>38424426
Only really see that in shitty traditional styles that don't really teach anything worth learning. If your dojo prioritises respect for the teacher as much as that, there's really no reason why anyone should ever train there. I've never experienced it in Judo before.
>>
>>38424561
You might not get taught much leglocks in BJJ.

I've been taught leglocks from the beginning, but that was mainly from shooto. Most of my leglock game comes from me actually going out and researching leglocks on my own and drilling them. I also went to an Eddie Cummings seminar which helped a bit.
>>
>>38424704
I have a pretty great book on submission grappling which breaks down a lot of leg locks, and I do occasionally try them at Judo when a partner doesn't mind, I guess I was hoping that at a BJJ class I could use them in live randori, and not just drill entries and applications.

Thanks for the honesty though, anon!
>>
>>38424742
Some schools frown on leglocks a bit.

You can always use straight footlocks though as long as you aren't reaping. No one will have a problem with that. I'd also imagine you should be able to use the Estima lock as well, but might not be the best choice since it goes on so fast.
>>
>>38424761
Thanks for the advice anon, I'll speak to the instructor before committing to school then.
>>
About to start Muay Thai. The gym I'm going to has a western boxing instructor too who holds boxing classes. Thinking of supplementing with that once I get the basics of MT.

I'm pretty big (240lb, been lifting for years, I hit my bw for reps on bench), looking to up my cardio and learn to defend myself if shit ever went down.

Good plan?
>>
File: 1465090502384.jpg (85KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465090502384.jpg
85KB, 960x960px
>>38424772
Just so you understand it sort of comes down to philosophy and ruleset.

The IBJJF is the organized viewed as the highest level of competition. They have some goofy leg locks rules IMO, some are okay though. However, they generally break down like this (same for Gi and NoGi):

White, Blue, and Purple: Straight footlocks only (ironically the Estima lock is legal), no reaping or falling toward your opponent when finishing (hard to explain this bit, don't fully understand myself)
Brown and Black: Can also perform straight kneebars, calf crushes, and outside toeholds. No heel hooks, reaping, or falling the wrong way.

These rules are quite standard for the majority of Gi tournaments. However, a lot of NoGi tournaments allow heel hooks and reaping at a certain level. NAGA, the biggest grappling organization allowed them at all levels until this year, now it's blue and up.

A lot of the newer submission only tournaments are a lot more leglock friendly even in the Gi.

There is also a thing that leglocks even when legal were very frowned up in BJJ by Brazilians. One of my coach's friends has stories about getting booed etc way back in the day for going for leg locks. It's a bit more relaxed now, but there are still some negative sentiments from some old school people.
>>
>>38424869
>There is also a thing that leglocks even when legal were very frowned up in BJJ by Brazilians. One of my coach's friends has stories about getting booed etc way back in the day for going for leg locks. It's a bit more relaxed now, but there are still some negative sentiments from some old school people.

That's actually pretty interesting, is there any reason for the negativity towards leglocks?
>>
>>38424900
They believe them to be an inferior submission. There is this whole progression of positions theory side control>knee on belly>mount>back. You are sidestepping that with leglocks, although leglock locks positions can offer a lot of control over your opponent.
>>
>>38425145
So it's just an old fashioned thing then really? Similar to how a lot of the older guys (i'm talking 60+) in judo hate leg grabs in throws because they think it's cheating and displays less skill, despite the fact that getting a good entry into half those throws is just as difficult as entering in for any other big throw.
>>
>>38425191
Pretty much. I think it mostly manifests itself in ignorance of proper defense these days though or being irrationally scared of knee injury.
>>
>>38424773
Hitting BW for reps at 240lbs means you are fat, I'm sorry.

Or your bench is weak compared to the rest of you.
>>
>tfw never made it past the yellow belt in kyokushin
>>
Is BJJ with supplementary Muay Thai a decent idea? I know I want to do BJJ, but I want to have some striking as well. I have decent fitness from running/ lifting, but never done any martial arts. Anything I need to be aware of?

Local MMA place has both.
>>
>>38427092
Yes. BJJ and Muay Thai is a very common and very good combo, great for da streetz and to transition to MMA comp later on. BJJ can be quite expensive, depending on where you live

>>38426332
Why not? Keep at it. This will be you one day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GWgEoUtaI

>>38424773
Great plan. Learn boxing for now, 240 lbs backed uppercut/hook would knock almost anyone clean out. Muay Thai is also great, you'll learn how to throw elbows and knees, kicks, etc.

>>38424426
This doesn't happen in any actual good gym (I say "gym" not "dojo" because that's where non-fedoras train these days), although I did once work a little at a gym in return for free membership for two months.

>>38424288

http://boxingscience.co.uk/strength-conditioning-introduction/

>>38423984
Check it out, come tell us about it
>>
File: 515.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
515.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>38413188
>TKD is useless meme

Anon posted it again
>>
>>38424900
>>38425145
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGgTFw_3iw&t=40m
>>
Why are pretty much all eastern martial arts considered non-viable?
Seems really suspicious desu. Maybe it's liberal agenda to promote non-lethal kinds of martial arts?
Because these styles been mastered for centuries and nobody doubted how useful they are? I call bullshit.
>>
>>38427795
It's mostly just propaganda because of the rise of mcdojo's but almost all the martial arts that this thread puts down have actually proven themselves plenty of times in the ring. Karate and Taekwondo are both bashed, and yet every champion in the ufc seems to have a background in one or the other
>>
>>38427673
Why do TKD ever when Kyokushin exists?
>>
I'm an overweight software engineer who just had his first boxing class, my arms are useless. is there anything i can do for recovering besides eat properly and get sleep?
>>
>>38409445
How the fuck did you survive on so little? That's less than minimum wage.
>>
>>38429872
I had to work a few different shit day jobs to keep a roof over my head and train morning afternoons and nights. I also trained people for some cash. Over here unless you're super famous (Katsidis, Mundine, Green) then there is no money in being a pro fighter
>>
>>38429398
Tiger balm
Ibuprofen
>>
File: 1470367796065.jpg (112KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470367796065.jpg
112KB, 533x800px
Sup

I'm a lanklet 6'1 28in waist. What weight should I aspire to for Judo?
>>
>>38429398
Foam roller bro, but chances are you don't have one so I'd say get someone to give you a painful finger massage deep into the muscles. Also, keep at it.
>>
>>38429971
>>38429928

thanks anons
>>
>>38417223
Sup famm I went through the hell day !
>>
>>38427881
Nobody bashes fulcon Karate styles like Kyokushin, and TKD is a good supplement as mentioned. The problem is that a lot of karate is taught with zero sparring, tonnes of fees, and only drills and kata

All the martial arts that are lauded are by their own merits, there is no conspiracy
>>
Hey anons,

I want to start BJJ this fall, but I get dizzy as fuck from doing rolls (not used to it, don't have a medical condition afaik).

How fucked am I?
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 468x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 468x592px
Been doing bjj for a few months, starting kickboxing tomorrow.

Any advice, folks?
>>
>>38430071
I agree, karate and tkd are unfortunately victims to the mcdojo schools that try to exploit it for money, but many people seem to go with the meme that both are useless when both are very important to many martial artists in mma. Both are styles that see constant use by pro-level fighters and both have weaknesses that cross training covers
>>
>>38430012
How did you go bud? Did you get bashed or did you just do drills untik you threw up?
>>
>>38430617
I got tagged and did a lot of calisthenics after . I sparred with the trainer today as opposed to another trainee and he's been in the pros in the Mexican circuit since he was 16. I had a lil bit of blood in my nose after but it was all good. I need to learn how to relax and move my head better. I'm short so I can't find on the outside and I can't keep my head stationary coming inside.

Tomorrow I'm doing 2 miles a lot of jump rope bag work and calisthenics. But I don't throw up anymore from drill work (or at least haven't in a while)

Also new thread?
>>
>>38430723
Yep, head movement and lateral movement is king for us short guys. Try not leave your head in the same spot at the end of a punch as it was at the beginning and when you're trying to get into striking range straight line movement is your worst enemy. Being relaxed will come with time, and lots of light or slow sparring. Sounds retarded but having a few rounds where you aren't throwing at full pace is unbelievably good for building your awareness and getting rid of that flinch instinct.

Keep it up man and enjoy every minute of it
>>
>>38417941
if someone makes fun of you, you can literally fight them
>>
Are face punches illegal in kyokushin?

All the sporting situation kyokushin vids I'm watching, they only punch to the body, but it seems they can kick to the head.

What's the point?
>>
>>38430962
Don't fuck up your fists, I guess

In Kyo they actually block fists to head with their forehead
>>
>>38427766
If that's the Erik Paulson story, I've it heard it from Erik before at a Seminar. He was actually the person I was talking about.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.