[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Run/: running general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9

File: 614320561.jpg (162KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
614320561.jpg
162KB, 509x339px
/run/: FAQ edition.

>Can I take up running without losing all my gains?
Yes, just be sensible and eat food.

>What’s a good mile/5k/marathon time?
Depends. Use this website: http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm
Find the top percentile times for your age/gender, compare them to your times, work out how much you want to improve.

>Are there any routines for beginner runners besides Couch to 5k?
If you’re a casual runner/running just for health, you don’t really need a strict one. Have your weekly routine involve at least one long, slow run for cardiovascular endurance; do interval training for speed; do comfy mid-length runs for the joy of cardio.
>My legs/feet hurt ;-;
Are you a beginner? They will do. Keep running, it gets better. [[ Disclaimer: aching is normal, actual pain isn’t. Stop running if you suspect you might be injured. ]]
Take some rest days, get your form checked, make sure you’re wearing appropriate shoes.

Anybody got suggestions for what they'd like to see on a /run/ sticky?
>>
>>38307029
Tell her that phrase in french and your conjugation's gonna be pretty good, putain, honhonhon
>>
Sticky suggestions

Shoe types and brands
App suggestions
>>
>>38307036
>Implying people read the sticky
>>
File: 1444752758863.gif (137KB, 1288x2588px) Image search: [Google]
1444752758863.gif
137KB, 1288x2588px
dumping the few running pics I have
>>
File: 1421598393004.jpg (483KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1421598393004.jpg
483KB, 816x1056px
image for those who lack imagination but like HIIT
>>
File: 1470275639066.png (129KB, 744x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470275639066.png
129KB, 744x720px
program probably for masochistic marathon training
>>
Other things you can answer and add to a /run/ sticky that I've seen repeatedly on other threads.

>Different tracking apps
Various opinions. I used RunKeeper and Runtastic. RunKeeper is great overall activity tracker. The GPS connectivity is horrible, however. Runtastic does a great job connecting to your phone's GPS, but it throws thousands of ads at you.

>The purpose of doing intervals, tempos, long slow run, etc.
Intervals and tempos help with speed. Long, slow runs help build your aerobic base.

>What kind of exercises should I do to get faster?
Tempos, intervals, fartleks, deadlifts, squats, and hill sprints.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!!!!!!

>Gaits and shoe selection
Get a gait analysis done. Or record yourself walking and running.
http://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/running-advice/understanding-pronation-find-the-right-shoes-for-you
describes the pronations.

>Eating before and after a run
>Run then lift, or lift then run
Do what works for you. Running is great for warming up.

>Run hydration

>Treadmill vs outside
Outside is obvious choice. You should never run on a treadmill unless the weather is the worst and you cannot get outside.

>Terrain
Any terrain is good.
>>
>>38307287

What routine is this based off? Is it an actual training plan (like Starting Strength or Strong lifts) or some random anons arbitrary made-up one?
>>
>>38307310
Well, that is an advanced version of Hanson's cumulative fatigue training. I wouldn't suggest an advanced version unless you have several completed marathons. In the beginner versions, you still run a lot, but you also get a rest day.
>>
>>38307333
probably got it from /fit/ last year

looking at the total min times, it looks like 5k race training schedule

it aims to maximize running strength and endurance for 30 min runs.
the internet is full of similar like HIIT training schedules; the basic recipe looks like the pic above
>>
>>38307365
that does look more humane tbqh
even then I would take some rest before the actual race
>>
>>38307036
>/run/ sticky

A few weeks ago I started working on a /run/ sticky (pastebin): http://pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m. Feel free to contribute/take over the project if you'd like.
>>
>>38307312
I like using Endomondo, no adds, except one small at the bottom for registring at endomondo.
It also says after every km how long it took you, and gives you a prediction of your end time for the total training distance you submitted into the app. So you know if you can slow down a bit or put more effort into going faster to break your time
>>
File: 1459591603498.png (624KB, 643x481px) Image search: [Google]
1459591603498.png
624KB, 643x481px
>>38307397
>-Shirts: Wear something that won't chafe your nipples (e.g. cotton)
What if I get off on that ? Will it improve my runs like the butt plug for squats ?
>>
>>38307397
Nice. I think it needs expanded quite a bit though.
>>
>>38307461
If you like looking like you're having a period except where your nipples are at, then go for it.
>>
>>38307474
Oh absolutely it needs expanded. That's just a very basic FAQ sort of thing. Some of the information said here >>38307312 could go in there as well.
>>
>>38307394
IMHO, the taper is just as important as the training itself. If you taper too soon, you lose fitness. Taper too late, you'll be worn out.
>>
For strength building, should I do calisthenics or lift weights? It seems every resistance training website for runners use bodyweight or very low weights.
>>
>>38307937
i started a marathon training schedule out of an old running book i still had from Amby Burfoot, i'm 8 weeks in, in 3 days 27,2 km. And than 10weeks later the marathon distance, ony the first marathon in my area is in 18 weeks, so if im able to follow the schedule without problems, i have 2 month's left. Shall i use those to improve my speed?
It's also my first marathon attempt, but did many 20km + recreation run's before.
Shall i focus first on just finishing that program, than work on speed for 2 month's. or shall i focus on speed also now right away? before ever having done a marathon? my current 21k time is 1:44
>>
>>38307312
>hill sprints
Any reason a long distance runner should be doing them?
>>
>>38308014
I think you can do a weight training routine, but you'd have to be smart about it or modify it somewhat if your primary focus is running. E.g. SL 5x5 has you squatting three days a week, which will wear you the fuck out if you're also putting in serious mileage. I do a bodyweight routine three times a week after I run, but really it's your call.
>>
>>38308338
Yes, hill sprints can be beneficial for distance runners. They can help build leg strength, work the heart and cardiovascular system, and mentally help prepare you for hilly race courses.
>>
>>38308384
How? Why not just do distance running with lots of hilly terrain instead?
>>
No surprise Usain dominating everyone.

>>38308477
Building strength makes the muscle less prone to injury than endurance work.
>>
>tfw insanely flat feet
Can this be cured?
>>
Why are olympic women running runderwear so hot? It makes me wish I could be a woman so I could run in such clothing without being considered creepy and arrested for public indecency.
>>
>>38308774
>having to wear a bra while running

No thank you. Shirtless all day.
>>
So tired of this fucking plantar fasciitis.

My achilles/calves are so tight. Just keep stretching and stretching and stretching...
>>
100m mens final about to start
>>
>>38309020
I've done it a few times. I didn't like it. I always wear a tank.
>>
>>38309259
Not surprisin Usain won.
>>
>>38309322
First 60 meters looked like Gatlin had a chance tho
>>
>>38309249
Use a foam roller or lacrosse ball to roll out your feet and legs as well. I've got a peanut thing made of two tennis balls wrapped in athletic tape.
>>
>>38307312
Why should I never run on a treadmill....
>>
>>38307036
Someone in another thread said even though running and jogging are the best for endurance they will break down your joints fast. I already have really fucked knees but I want to be cardiovascularly healthy. Am I fucked? I would swim but I have a labrum tear in my shoulder too and shoulder flexion hurts
>>
>>38309696
cycle or walk.

you can put a little weight in a backpack while you walk to increase the effort required and lift your heart rate, don't know what effect that has on knees though.
>>
>>38309696
anti-gravity treadmill runs
>>
>>38307312
I do have to add, that one should be carefull about running in only 1 dirrection because: Rarely but sometimes the footpath is not straight is slightly bent to one side, if the path remains like this for a long distance and you run on it frequently, it will put extra preasure on the one side that is not elevated.
>>
I just ran for 10 minutes
I had to walk part of the way
how long until I'm fast?
>>
>>38309020
Yeah, but that depends on tit size, obviously the larger ones would have to be strapped down by a sports bra of some kind, fuck that would be annoying, thank fuck i don't have tits.

It's just like wearing underwear for dudes, you have a part of your body that dangles (lolololoololol), and if you wont strap it with something like underwear, it will just be everywhere when you run.
>>
Joints. running wears your joints slowly.

Would taking Glucosamine everyday help to retard the wearing of the joints?
>>
Anyone got a reason for why my ankles KILL after running the shuttle run twice a week?

My fitness instructor told me to just ice it
>>
>>38310330

Slow down til you could talk at any point during the run, make sure you do it for half an hour at least and just be consistent, 3 or 4 days a week. Walk as much as you need. Took me about a month to run 5k under 30 mins with no walk breaks (30 yrs old, completely sedentary lifestyle before)
>>
how do i git gud form running by myself? I just want to jog
>>
>>38310471
Not the person you replied to but I'm having a hard time understanding slowing down and not being out of breath. Shouldn't I aim to be pushing myself while training?

And as it stands, I feel I'm running pretty slow to begin with.
>>
>>38310501

Apparently longer sustained slower runs build up your aerobic base faster than anything else. When i started, i was so unfit i couldn't maintain what felt like a "jogging" pace for more than 5 mins. Then i'd walk, get my breath back and start running again but it felt like the interruption meant i had cooled down so my joints hurt and i would get a stitch.

I enjoyed runs a lot more when i could keep going longer, even if it was barely faster than a fast walk and being able to consistently get further round my local 6k route without stopping to walk felt like great progress. I think it's a common beginner's problem to go at a speed they think jogging is supposed to be but you need some practice to actually maintain that for half an hour. Also i breath rhythmically, it might be bullshit but i never get stitches doing it. Three breaths out, 2 in counted by each footfall.
>>
>>38310471
you got TROLLLED LOL
I run for a school team, so basically I'm someone you shouldn't be messing with
I was being a lazy shit and not doing a full workout bc muh hamstring got sore after the first week of training
>>38310493
it's very hard to get gud by urself. knowing how far to push yourself without any frame of reference is hard. my advice is for you to time yourself in the mile 2x at the end of each week. the first mile don't push it too hard. the second one put in a moderate effort (as you get faster your 2nd mile can be a hard effort). in the mean time run 3 miles a day, 4 days a week (not including the day you time yourself). the key is to push yourself over the course of a month, not during a single run, at until you get really fit. then you can push hard during training :3
I want to make it clear that this method will only be THE BEST WAY to bring you down to about a 6:00 mile (maybe 5:30), so you can run with a faster group of people without being a COMPLETE SCRUB. MY ADVICE (TM)
>>
>>38310614 (me)
>>38310569
if you are getting stitches don't drink water immediately b4 u run breh
drink a lot of fluid liek within 2 hours b4 the big event :^)
>>
Used to run XC in junior high and hs. I was alright. After a year and a half of smoking cigarettes on a semi-regular basis and not running at all I've started to get back into it. I can run a mile without stopping but after that I lose all my energy. Am I fucked?
>>
>>38310569
say goodbye to your knees.
>>
>>38310702
>memes
>>38310679
stop smoking, htfu and ull b fine
>bee urself
>>
>>38310679
How long was it that you stopped smoking

Or do you still smoke?
>>
>>38310909

I'm seeking help I just posted this in the other running thread without looking up if there was a general.

pls help
>>
I'm 22, 140 pounds at 5' 5. Is it too late for me to be a competitive runner? Am I too short?
>>
>>38310929
Yeah doing the distance of the race won't hurt.
If anything it will build confidence. A marathon should be the same as a 15 k but paced slower and longer in duration. I've never raced more than 10 k but going from racing 1 mile to 10 k shouldn't be dissimilar to going from 15 k to 26 miles. Although admittedly I had trained upwards of 10 miles at a time prior to the 10 know. Think of it this way. There may be a limit to the amount of fatigue you can endure, but that limit isn't fixed at 26 miles.
>>
>>38311102
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonel_Manzano
Not at all
>>
If I'm 40 pounds overweight, should I stick to the elliptical?
>>
Cheer me up lads. For the first time in a month I forgot to run... fucking christ.
>>
>>38311217
Yes. Running while you're overweight can actually damage your knees. Ellipticals are lower impact.
Make sure you're doing it near an open window or in a well ventilated area.
>>38311235
Rest days are good for you
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 2000x1333px
Have a 90 minute gym cardio circuit today followed by Interval sprints.

Been ill for a couple weeks so first run at full health, looking forward to it.

If anybody is interested I run with Nike RN5's, a little more expensive than the average runny shoe but my god is it worth it, they are super comfy, have a decent amount of ankle support and are super light.

>pic related
>>
>>38309694
Treadmills are fine, but it's harder to get motivated/easier to get bored than when you run outside. The consistency of the ground is different as well and some people find running on treadmills fucks their legs up. They're perfectly functional for what they are tho.
>>
How do I combine wanting to run 3/4 times a week (I will likely be going for 5/10k) and lifting 3/4 days a week? What routine and such should I do?

Also, should I seek out a training routine or something for running?
>>
>>38312695
Do runs as warm-ups for lifting, take rest days. You don't need a routine for running if you don't have a specific time/distance goal, just run.
>>
My goal is to improve my 5k to a sub 20 minute. I've been running consistently for about a year now. Three times a week about 8k/5miles with some hill sprints added. I have completed a 5k in 20:01 on treadmill with small incline (didn't have option to run outside at that time). 6'1 @190 if that matters.

I think my main focus should be on speed endurance. I am planning on doing mile repeats a least once a week, maybe twice if that is not too much? I would propably start with two or three repeats and work way up to faster circuits while reducing rest times. On the third day I would do a slow long jog. I'm also doing calisthetics and training with weights as follows:

L=legs, U=uppers body, first two days are heavier and more strenght focused. I also swim on wednesdays or saturdays.

LUXLUXX

I'm thinking of adding running on both legdays and on saturday so my legs get maximum recovery. On the other hand monday and thursday might become quite taxing over time. Any ideas on which day(s) I should add the mile repeats?

Tl;dr: Advice on mile repeats and programming them

Thanks in advance.
>>
Hey guys. Anyone got a decent interval schedule? I'm currently able to run my 5km in about 18:30, but I have the feeling that I'm not progressing anymore. All I do is go for a 10km 5 days a week.

So, is there anyone who has a good interval program to help me out?
>>
>>38312719
is running 5/10k really viable as a warm up for lifting?
>>
Do we have any Kenyans here? A Kenyan from /int/ maybe?
>>
>>38313380
10k maybe not, but 5k would be fine. provided you didn't go all out at max speed.
>>
>>38307036
Lads I need your help

Best running shoes?

Don't know much about minimalist vs cushioned, but what I am looking for is a shoe that can handle sprints as well as distance running, mostly used on hard concrete surfaces and is within the $50-$200 price range.

Gimme your suggestions
>>
File: 1463303553986.jpg (55KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1463303553986.jpg
55KB, 655x527px
>>38314665
ASICS Gel Kayano

suited for heavier runners, long distance and rough terrain
lot of cushioning and support, protects your feet from hard surfaces

maybe not best suited for sprinting, but you seriously cannot have some magic shoe that fits every criteria

>inb4 I want a magic shoes
>>
What sort of warmup do you guys do before running? Say for a 5ish km run.
>>
>>38314869
I just do bw stuff like dynamic stretches, side skips, push-ups, leg raises, and squats.
>>
>>38314740
Thanks for the suggestion anon, but if anything i'm doing more sprint work than long distance. Also, a quick bit of research on my foot type suggests heavy cushion might not be the best option for me (outward pronation, normal arch, land on the middle of my feet etc.)
>>
>>38314869
My 5 minute walk to my running destination is my warm up....
>>
Started running 5 days ago. I'm doing 15 minutes walking into 15 minute running into 15 minute walking for 2 days out of three, most of the running and half of the walking is done uphill

I don't really time myself, I just try to run a little further each day

What should I aim for for the second week ?
>>
What's the use of those barefoot/minimalist shoes? Do they offer any benifits over 'normal' shoes?
>>
>>38315798
They enforce proper running form, and if used with bad form, are much worse than regular running shoes.
>>
>>38314869
Jog half a mile and do dynamic stretching for 10ish minutes.
>>
>>38315393
Try running for 5 minutes longer or walking for 5 minutes less, but I would wait another week before changing your routine.
>>
Sup guys, Am looking for new long distance running shoes (above 15Km).
I have completely neutral feet, so A neutral model is good.
Which ones do you guys recommend?
>>
>>38316623
Ride 9s or Pegasus 33s get pretty universally positive reviews, but there are so many out there that you might like more. Seriously just go to a running store and try shit on.
>>
>>38316676
Can't feel if a shoe is nice in 50meters of running desu. I just want a long lasting one since i do quite a lot of km's.
>>
>>38316726
Since you know 99% of this board is obese basement dwellers who haven't gone outside in the past 10 years, you're better off going to a shop for shoe info anyway.You might get a sensible answer from people who actually like to run.
>>
>>38315876
But if you're running with proper form, normal shoes are better, right?
>>
>>38311217
Maybe try cycling anon, or swimming
>>
Hey guys, practical question here: how do I relax my shoulders whilst running? They can get really tense from time to time
>>
>>38316796
Muh fugga don't be talkin' bout make food stamps. Lil Shaquisha gotta eat and you gon pay fo it little dick white Boi
>>
Guy runners who wear compression shorts, do you take any steps to hide your bulge? I want to wear them without shorts, but I'm don't want to make other people uncomfortable when I jog. What do you guys do or don't?
>>
>>38321328
And what reaction have you gotten while wearing them?
>>
>>38307287
Enjoy those low quality "sprints"
>>
>>38321328
>>38321356
Hide bulge? what the fuck?

I just wear them and of course there be bulge. Reactions? Next to none aside from nigger women trying to grope.
>>
>>38321553
>no reactions from strangers
Cool, that's what I expected. I'm asking for modesty's sake.
>>
>>38321328
>Not wanting homeless men groping you when you stop at a crossing light
>Not wanting to suck off random people to make sure your body has adequate protein intake
>>
>>38321328
Why are you wearing them? Only sprinters wear compression shorts.
>>
how u get dat dere 1.5 mile time down?
>>
>>38307036
Ran 3 2k repeats @ 5:45 ~ pace this morning
desu
>>
>>38321651
I think they're comfortable, so i bought one. It's hot where I live, so I thought I'd get one and try it out. Only sprinters wear them? Why doesn't anyone else?
>>
>>38321683
Do longer, slower run once a week
Run a hard, shorter run once a week
Hill sprints
Squats
Deadlifts
>>
>>38310330
>GOTTA GO FAST!!!!
>>
>>38322453
I am speed itself
>>
>>38322418
Because no one wants to show the outline of their dick in, it looks weird
>>
>>38322588
Also enjoy your ball sweat
>>
My area is flat as hell. What would be a good substitute exercise for hill running?

I want to train my leg strength but don't want to run up the same stairs all the time.
>>
Thinking of buying the La Sportiva Helios 2.0
for trail running. Am I making a mistake? Any thoughts?
>>
My IT band is kinda sore and I feel pain everytime I run. I'm taking a couple of rest days but I think I'm fucked...
>>
>>38322718
Parking garages also work if you don't give a shit about looking like an autist.
>>
>>38310493
consistency
hills
desire to actually be good
>>
>heart attack at 20 years old, now 29
I was that poster. I didn't get to answer back to some people but I would like to give you guys a reply even if it is too late.

1. I can still lift, but I can only do 1 set for each kind, and my progressions are terribly slow. I have to rest in between sets for around 5-10 mins just to get my heart rate to a stable one.

2. No chance for a heart transplant yet, as I have tons of allergies on medications.

3. Sexy time does not affect it as bad as I thought it would.
>>
>>38310929
taper last two weeks
peak at a 20 mile long run 3 weeks before
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.