[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 34

File: image.jpg (661KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
661KB, 2048x2048px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
>>38247311
What do the notations on workout routines such as ABxABxx mean?
>>
>>38247311
Bent arm bb pullovers. Does anyone do them? Is it a worthwile exercise to have in a routine?
>>
>>38247320
Day A Day B then x is a day off.
>>
>>38247328
As as a gymnast we did them to train front levers on rings.
>>
>>38247320
X indicates rest days
A indicates routine 1
B indicates routine 2

So abxabxx is lifting 4 times a week
>>
I'm really short and thin but still have an athletic body and lifestyle should I just stay skinny and not complain or become a Manlet? Is there a nice compromise somewhere?
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 750x1334px
When I snatch I get a weird non-painful stretching/ripping feeling in spot circled in pic only in right wrist. What is it?
>>
>>38247345
Just don't give a fuck and be who you wanna BE BRAH.
>>
>>38247345
>thin
>athletic
pick one
>>
Is 1 warm up set of 30 reps enough warm up for a big muscle say chest/legs/back
or
is it necessary to do 30rep set then 20 rep set then 15 rep set then start actual lifts?
>>
>>38247358
You right anon
>>38247360
ill go with thin then
>>
one of my shoulders is position further forward than the other and feels like it has a lower range of motion

what should i do
>>
>>38247367
It really isn't important to warm up. Many studies I have read say there is no known correlation between warming up and preventing injury.
>>
>>38247382
Wew lad.

Maybe for weightlifting but for running and other cardio/endurance exercises yeah. I agree though, i think warming up with weights has a much smaller effect.
>>
>>38247389

Warming up with weights is even more necessary than for cardio unless you're extremely weak.
>>
>>38247389 Cardio and endurance needs even less of a warmup because it practically is a warmup. If you were gonna take off sprinting as fast as you could you'd want to warm up for that though.
>>
>>38247405
I just do a set of 10 with the bar and work up to whatever my working set is starting at 135lbs.
>>
Any good sources of info on how to increase flexibility? Like not just for lifting.
>>
>>38247437
Google Gymnasticsbodies
>>
>>38247345
>become a Manlet
are you asking us if you should like get height reduction surgery
>>
>>38247311
Doing body rows and negatives. Do I need to change my grip or can I focus on chin ups
>>
>>38247405
>>38247413

Thanks for sheddinglight on my memescience bros.
>>
>>38247477
Im already short just not muscular which is why I was considering if I should just commit to becoming a full fledged manlet
>>
Will using something like padding or fat gripz or similar for deadlifts and rows accomplish anything?
>>
>>38247519

More forearm gains. Possibly less gains everywhere else depending on how strong your grip is.
>>
>>38247345
Bulked short guys look fucking dumb, but imo short ripped guys are solid. Maybe don't aim to be huge, shoot for otter. But overall, do what you wanna do as previously stated
>>
File: tumblr_o5cr3kaHFG1rmerh9o1_540.png (477KB, 523x523px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5cr3kaHFG1rmerh9o1_540.png
477KB, 523x523px
>>38247311
How do you motivate yourself to eat well and avoid junk food?
>>
>>38247382
>>38247389
>>38247405
>>38247413
>>38247419
So it's a tie right now. Two anons saying you need to warm up with a good set of 30 at least two anons saying you don't need to warm up at all.

No source or valuable information just their thoughts. (appreciate your thoughts anons)

Any more input /fit/ ?
>>
stupid question but if all of my lifts minus my deadlift are reasonably good for my weight and strarting to stall more, should I just keep on DL until it gets up higher instead of moving to texas/madcow which seems to have less DL'ing per week?

i could always add a 4th day which is basically just deadlifts but that'd be the day after the heavy day which may be a bit rough
>>
>>38247536

You don't need to warm up with high rep sets (and most people don't, typically its light cardio or mobility drills followed by progressively heavier easy sets at low reps), but you do need to warm up for lifting. Trying to move heavy weight while cold significantly increases your chance of injury for a bunch of reasons.
>>
What macros for bulking? Why?
>>
>>38247526
If my grip can keep up, will I get the forearm gains?
>>
>>38247572

Compared to not using them? Yes.

But its a pretty rare person with enough grip strength to deadlift a fat bar and use the same weight they would normally.
>>
Im overweight and never went to a gym. Applying for mcdonalds and its 6 blocks away from a gym.
What im wondering is should i just cut and do cardio or start weight lifting inmediately and eat at a deficit or maintenance? I dont want to waste my noob gains if thats possible.
>>
>>38247591

You can't waste noob gains.
>>
>>38247311
When people post their lifts do they mean pb's or what they lift full sets of...
Also whether it's in pounds or kgs
>>
>>38247595
I think personal bests are usually 1 rep max. And i also think it depends, both are used.
I think kg is prefered.
>>
At the risk of showing how much of a scrub I am, what is the exact weight of lmao1pl8?
>>
>>38247667

135lbs if you're in the US, 132 elsewhere.
>>
How long does it usually take to grow in pants size?
I've been on SS for about 3.5 months now. My squats went up a lot. I'm 5'3 and squat 160 Bench 120 ohp 80 DL 135 row 100 Dips 22.5 lbs and my pants size isn't getting bigger
>>
>>38247591
Noob gains is more like, up to a certain potential of your natty limit strength, not like, for a certain amount of time.

Like, you might have noob gains up til like a 3 plate squat or so. Not like, you have noob gains for the first 6 months of working out
>>
>>38247679
Should note my pants size is 28
>>
>>38247684
that makes sense. what i understand noob gains is mostly your CNS adapting to extra workload and recruiting my nerves or something like that, right?
>>
>>38247677
Much obliged
>>
>>38247696

Its a mix of rapid technical improvements, cns adaption and muscle gains. More the first two than the last.
>>
Best cardio for someone with asthma?
>>
>>38247717
Thanks dude. This stuff fascinates me and i want to go to school for it. Maybe into physical therapy because i feel like i have a calling for helping people.
>>
>>38247536
honestly when i do a warmup set i just use the bar for like 20 sets, it doesnt entirely warm it up because i always feel weaker on the first or even second set. stretching and a warmup + actual set and youll be fine
>>
How does /fit/ deal with wrist pain?
>>
>>38247819
Stretch them
>>
>>38247819
nofap
>>
I've stopped going to the gym for 8 months now. I've regained 60lbs of fat, lost about 60% of my strength.

should I start going back? I've still been paying the monthly subscription, telling myself I'll start again some day.

what will my ol' fellow gym goers think of my absence and reemergence

I mean I've got a tiny dick anyways, nothing matters
>>
>>38247311
If I'm cutting do I need to be super strict with my macros? I'm under my calories every day and trying to lose body fat. Will it matter if I'm lifting or doing cardio?
>why not both
I dont want to do 3 days strong lifts and long distance running. Itll be exhausting.
>>
File: dumbar.jpg (21KB, 350x233px)
dumbar.jpg
21KB, 350x233px
Where can I buy these grips online?
>>
my wrist hurts since I've been doing some heavy squatting.
I've had a wrist injury before. It hurt pretty bad and I don't think I ever recovered from it. As the pain came back suddenly one day after I thought it was healed Should I lay off the heavy squats for a while? I've been doing heavy squats 3x5 every other day.
Do gloves help?
>>
>>38247896
Nah dont go back. Continue getting fat as time flies by you.
>>
I cant activate my middle chest when benching and so my outer chest is getting over-developed. Tried changing my grip, same story. Wat do?
>>
>>38247915
Dont rest the weight on your hands, thats what your traps are for. Try to keep your wrists straight(ish) and only use your hands to stabilise
>>
>>38247311
What is deloading? I can't push past 155 lbs for my 5x5 bench press and I've been stuck at 155 lbs for the past 3 weeks, and someone said I should deload
>>
>>38247311
Complete newbie, started lifting last week. Should I/do I need to exercise to total exhaustion? The first time I went to the gym I couldn't move my arms or legs for a week. I dialed down the weights a bit and now I barely feel any pain the next morning. Should I increase the weights again until I can feel my body aching the next morning?
>>
When I squat and it's hard to get that "bounce" at the bottom, which makes me pause and then get up, but sometimes I fail my last 2 reps on my 5th set. Should I decrease the weight OR work on my explosion on lighters days?
>>
anyone have some experience with the fitbit aria scale? mine keeps giving me all kinds of different results everytime I step on it (have stepped on it multiple times in a 10 minute window, weight and bodyfat% varies up to 5%) is mine broken or does it just suck generally?
>>
>>38248089

Soreness doesn't really matter much. Its more about novelty than the work.

You usually don't want to be going to total exhaustion but ideally you'd be on a training program that would tell you what you need to be aiming for in each session.
>>
>>38247535
You don't. You use discipline and habit.
>>
I've been lifting a little under 2.5 months doing SL. Here are my stats. Am I progressing alright? All for 5 reps in lbs
Squat: 190
Bench: 130 (I dont know why its so shit)
OHP: 80
Diddly: 215
Row: 115
>>
>>38248309
Yeah.
>>
switched to sumos and knee hurt a bit afterwards, what gives
>>
I really hate cardio to the max but I love lifting.

The problem is I am abit chubby can I lose weight by just dieting and lifting?

I am also 6ft 1 and have wide shoulders, quite strong but I want to be cut and strong with that V shape look.
>>
>>38247352
Sounds like lack of flexibility in wrists or you're not gripping hard enough or both.
>>
>>38248352

You can lose weight without cardio. Its better for your health long-term if you do some but it isn't necessary for weight loss.

I seriously doubt you're actually strong. Odds are you're going to be disappointed with how much size you have under that fat.
>>
Friend and I start going to the gym today.
Is the couch to 2k routine good enough for someone who has never really done exercise? Also what to eat.
>>
>>38248368
Yeah it's good for beginners looking to get into running. In terms of eating, assuming you want to lose weight, read the sticky and look under nutrition on the liamrosen site.

If you're going to the gym anyway I'd recommend picking up weight training too
>>
>>38247769
Not trying to take a shit in your drinking water but you said you're overweight, never been to the gym, shit, you haven't even made a first step towards it and you think you have a calling for helping people? Why do the most disfunctional individuals always think they are a godsend to help others while they can't even help themselves?
>>
>>38248079
Prolly genetics or shitty form. What you can try is perfect form cable crossover to get that nice squeeze in there
>>
>>38248084
It means you take some weight off and work with that to fix your form which might be the cause of you lagging behind on the lift.
>>
>>38248084
You reduce weight by 10% and work your way back up, hopefully breaking through yoyr previous weight
>>
>>38247896
People generally don't care about who is and isn't going to the gym. The only people I ever really notice are the people who spend all day there and are there no matter when I work out. If you are really worried about that, just go at a different time then you used to.

Also, you'll make your strength gains back real fast, as you had them before. You might even be able to cut and get them back from what I understand
>>
File: CMON.png (193KB, 316x346px) Image search: [Google]
CMON.png
193KB, 316x346px
Kinda an odd question but what bottle does /fit/ drink water from daily?

I'm kinda looking to cut out plastic from my life, I've started with getting Pyrex glass storage dishes for food. Now I need something safe and solid for a daily bottle. Looking for 1Litre+ storage. Any good glass or metal ones out there? pros and cons?
>>
>>38248402
Eh, there are plently of fat people who are pretty good at other aspects of life. I don't go to the doctor's office and fly into an autistic fit of rage just cause my doctor's slightly chubby (which he is)
>>
>>38248345
Since your stance is wider you may be not be used to pushing your knees out that far and they aren't in line with toes i.e. cave slightly inwards and cause knee pain
>>
>>38248436
Stainless steel bottles are great, get one without any coatings on the inside.
Klean Kanteen is 100% just steel without any bullshit, but they're also overpriced. I like mine but you can definitely get something cheaper. And yes, the switch in general is a good idea.
>>
>>38248424
Why do people do this? Wouldn't doing 155 5x5 4 times build your muscles more then doing 140 5x5, 145 5x5, 150 5x5, and then 155 5x5? Or is deloading mostly a psychological thing?
>>
File: 1393363137261.gif (482KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1393363137261.gif
482KB, 300x300px
>>38247909

in the Amazon women's section
>>
>>38248468
I replied to you, it's to fix your form. You might have some muscles lagging behind and you're making your body compensate. For example some people dont tuck their shoulderblades in so their taking stress off their chest and if they do that, how can the chest get stronger? It's one of many examples so that's why it's done
>>
>>38248436
Takeya 40oz insulated Thermoflask. It's nearly perfect. It might be a little large: as big around as a Nalgene but half again as tall. The cap is so good I kind of want to buy one a third one and put it on my old Hydroflask.

CostCo had them in a two pack for 35$, which is what Amazon charges for one now (looks like Amazon has the two packs for 53$ too, honestly worth it).

I really like insulated bottles, because I like my water cold, and single walled metal bottles sweat and then warm up almost immediately. I've had a lot of them because I just couldn't find the perfect one.

A Klean Kanteen first, which was only 20oz, not big enough. A 32oz Hydroflask was pretty good, but I wanted a better lid: the ideal is wide mouthed for filling and cleaning, with a smaller opening on it for drinking from. Hydroflask has a "sport drink" lid, but it leaks. I tried a Zojirushi, but that was 20oz again; its lid worked really well, but it was hard to clean.

The Takeya's nearly perfect. I'm only worried it's fragile, and I don't like that for some reason the spout cap has threads on the inside (meaning that if I'm drinking a smoothie or something it gets on the threads, possibly staying there and getting gross).
>>
For someone who wants to start cutting. Is going to the gym twice a week for an hour good enough?
Currently that's the most days I can go.
>>
tl;dr - was fat, now less fat. want to plan a cut.

I was 116kg June last year and have lost 28kg (down to 88kg for those who suck at maths). Want to do a more aggressive cut over the next 8 weeks to really cut down my body fat. I'm 5'10" and 80kg has always been the sweet spot in my mind for ideal weight for my height. Never done it though so not sure how to plan TDEE and calorie deficit. I'd ideally like to lose 6 to 8kg in that time. What do?
>>
>>38247903
Lift three days a week, cardio on resting days and chill on Sunday senpai.
>>
>>38248462
hmmm which one did you get? I'm checking them out now and there's the normal ones and then insulated ones.
>>
>>38248535
>Takeya 40oz insulated Thermoflask
is the inside metal or is it lined with something else?
>>
Is my program good? I had a trainer 2 years ago and resumed gym after a 1 year break and still follow this
Monday Back and Biceps
Pullups till i tire
Lat pull down 3x20
Barbell row 3x20
pulling dumbbells up while lying on incline 3x20
Close-Grip Pull-Down 3x20
Biceps curls dumbbells 3x20
Biceps bar 3x20
Biceps on a machine 3x20

Thing is I do everything for 20 reps as my trainer said before. My goal is fat loss, have 25 lbs to go. Should i do low intensity high reps or high intensity low reps?
>>
Diet question. How is honey doing?
I use honey as a substitute for sugar in almost all my meals but is it also something I should avoid?
>>
Im beginning to notice that my upper abs are slightly protruding more than my lower abs and about the same size as my chest.
Is this a signal that I should exercise my lower abs, or does it mean that I will never attain those god-tier, chiseled flat abs I have been aiming for?
>>
>>38248065
Regular bench press just has a tendency to build your pec minor (the real part of what's the "outer chest") and your lower pec major fibers. You either do incline presses or flies for accessories to mitigate this or start doing dumbbell presses.
>>
>>38248554

look up HIIT, make the most of your time there and control your diet and you will be fine
>>
Wtf is up the power clean?
I don't want to break my collarbone.
Do you hold the bar up with your hand and never touch the collarbone?
>>
Skelly here,

>6 foot 2 inches
>170

I am doing SL with added chin ups and dips and was making progress while eating around 2500-3000 calories a day, but I still have a small bit of fat covering my abs. Not a lot, but just enough to make me look less than DYEL.

So I decided to go on a cut with 1500 calories and reintroduce cardio into my workout (running on rest days).

>Is this enough to bring down my body fat %?
>Is there anything more I can add to my routine to define my core?

Cutting sucks. I'm tired all the time and all of my lifts have stalled. I want to make sure what I'm doing is right before I have to shamfully deload
>>
How often do you need to buy new clothes?

I had to buy shirts a couple of times now but today one of my jeans tore apart right at the in-seam.
This is starting to get annoying.
>>
>>38248746
The bar is supposed to rest on your front deltoids. If you're DYEL and barely have any front deltoids then that might cause a problem. If you're inflexible then that might be a problem. Just work on flexibility and technique and you shouldn't be crashing the bar into your collarbones anymore.

>>38248771
Buy some cheaper shit (no1 really cares about jeans brands these days anyway, no1 notices) until your weight starts to stagnate somewhat.
>>
>>38248793
>The bar is supposed to rest on your front deltoids.
So uh... should i just hold it up with my hands if i don't have them?
Maybe i could try doing Pendlay Rows instead.
>>
>>38248219
no one with a fitbit scale?
>>
Sometimes after doing squats, when I lift the barbell back over my head to put it on the ground, my right shoulder muscle hurts.

Is that just normal muscle strain? Or should I get one of these stands to put the barbell on.
>>
Is losing 10lbs a month fine for someone who's roughly 6'0" 300lbs (down from 334)? Does losing 10lbs a month say versus 6lbs have any effect on potential loose skin down the road?
>>
>>38248875
You are fucking Behind the neck pressing your squat weight. Of course this might be a problem.
>>
>>38248576
I just got the normal one, if you want to use it for hot drinks as well then get the insulated one. Either way they're just stainless steel, exactly what you're looking for.
>>
File: 1469641566166.jpg (162KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1469641566166.jpg
162KB, 1462x1462px
>>38248875
>>
>>38248752
If you're making progress, why change? Moreover, if you're happy with the progress you were making with your diet and lifting, why the fuck would you cut your calorie intake by half?

Keep doing that which allowed you to progress, doofus.
>>
>>38249024
I'm lifting because I have never liked the way my body looked, and even though I have made wicked progress I still look the same.

I just want to not hate what I see in the mirror
>>
>>38249103
>I just want to not hate what I see in the mirror
Don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_HAXan1wSQ
>>
>>38247311
if i don't squat as deep as him will everyone at the gym secretly be laughing at me?
>>
>>38247311
I Don't physically feel sore the next day after a workout. The night of, I can barely wall sometimes.

What am I doing wrong. Should I be doing high reps/low weights or low reps/big weights?

Doesn't feel like I'm breaking down enough muscle to get bigger
>>
>>38248875
>>38248926
If you don't want to get pins, a practical solution to this problem is to do front squats (which means you have to work on ankle/hip/elbow/shoulder flexibility).
>>
>>38249361
What program are you on? Soreness is not a measurement of workout quality.
>>
When people say rest between sets what do they mean with ''sets''? If I do 3x8, do I rest after 8 reps? Or do I rest AFTER doing the 3x8?

TL;DR: WHAT'S A SET?
>>
>>38249383
It's the first thing you mentioned. You do 8 reps and that's a "set". Then you rest x minutes/seconds and do another set of 8 reps. That's 2x8 with x minutes/seconds of rest.
>>
>>38249383
3x8 is

unrack, do 8 reps, rerack and take a few minutes to rest. repeat 3 times.
>>
>>38249395
>>38249400
Alright thanks lads.
>>
>>38249363
>front squats
Sick
>>
How deep should I squat?
>>
>tl:dr Tips on getting some sleep when you start a new supplement?

I like working out fairly late, maybe 11pm or midnight. Just started a new supplement, I'm sure the caffeine has me awake. I don't mind it so much right now, but school starts in a few weeks and I can't be sleeping all day. Ways to reset my sleep cycle and hopefully keep the same lifting time?
>>
>>38247311
I finally went to a doc regarding erectile dysfunction, I've been meaning to for like 4 years now. She was a very attractive 25 year old blonde woman, but I swallowed my pride and told her.

I'm getting an appointment with an urologist to see if I can fix it.

If it's unfixable, should I off myself? I have a noose prepared for the bad news.
>>
>>38249439
as low as your mobility allows. I did ass-to-grass with low mobility and got back pains, because my back rounded due to unstretched hammies.
>>
>>38249529
You're probably shooting blanks anyway...
>>
>>38249529
ask her if she can cure it ;)
>>
>>38249529
no porn
no fap
no alcohol
no drugs
fuck ton of cardio
>>
>>38249439
low bar: just below parallel
front/high bar: a2g.
>>
>Fatass here
>Is it better to walk longer or farther?
IE, walk 1 mile period or walk 30 minutes period.
>>
>>38249726
just keep walking until you can start shuffle running. then come back.
>>
>>38248752
Stop cutting. How long were your eating at a surplus? Post a picture.
I think more muscles would be a better way of losing the dyel look not cutting back on muscle gain to get supet low bf
>>
>>38249726
Couch to 5k.
>>
I am 5'7, and I am getting started into /fit/ by swimming. I did a pre fat burn the month before and lost like 16 pounds of just eating right and walking dah DOG. Now my weight has settled down and starting to get it back through swimming.

Can I get ripped like this? I do plan on lifting weights, but is starting off like this good for my joints and will it lead to a better lifting body? I plan on swimming for another month before I even consider lifting weights, and I do body weight exercises
>>
>>38247536
Walking to the gym, a bit of stretching and warm-up sets are enough to prevent injury when lifting. If you drive to the gym you could hop on an elliptical or something for 5 minutes.

Wamr-up for most people is:
10Xbar
10X50% of working weight
5-8X75-80% of working weight.

For example, if you bench 100kg:
10Xbar
10X50kg
5X75kg

That's sufficient in most cases. No need to go for that sets of 30 reps bullshit. Better to struggle a tiny bit more on your first working set than to be burned out before it.

>>38247547
If your squat is decent and proper form then your DL shouldn't lag too much behind, could be a technique thing. If not, I'd do some accessory work for forearms, hamies and glutes nothing too much or fancy.

>>38249439
At least bellow parallel, ATG if mobility and proportions allow/require it.
>>
File: 1439905475359.png (116KB, 290x283px) Image search: [Google]
1439905475359.png
116KB, 290x283px
Does milk consumption really cause gyno?

t. someone who consumes about 1.5L a day
>>
>>38249779
Swimmers look so good because they lift weights, not because of swimming. Go to a local meet, there are fast fatties and fast skeletons. It's great cardio though, if you can swim for an hour a day and lift as well, you'll be in great shape in no time.
>>
>>38249797
i have been consuming atleast 1L daily for almost a year. no sign of gyno whatsoever.
>>
>>38249812
My friend told me chocolate milk gave you bitch tits and regular milk gave you.muscles
>>
>>38247595
Unless they specify repsXsets just assume they mean 1rm
>>
>>38249844
That's 100% true. And oats give you big quads while eggs give you big shoulders.
>>
>>38249844
i can't really comment on that since i lack the ph.d in broscience that your friend has, but embedding a steady sugar intake in your diet seems dumb.
>>
I have gyno, should I just kill myself?
>>
>>38249891
show
>>
>>38249891
You should lower your bf to sub 5%
Post pics
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 768x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 768x429px
>>38247367

"Two sets with the bar, three intermediate weight sets, and three work sets." - Rippetoe
>>
>>38249891
Post pics.
>>
>>38249897
>>38249898
>>38249906

Nah cunts. I do have a high bf%, will give it a go, just thought it seemed pointless.
>>
>>38249898
>sub 5%
Don't do this. Going down to about 15% is usually enough to tell if you have gyno or just lipomastia (looks like gyno but goes away with weight loss.)
>>
>>38249923

Nah it is Gyno, had surgery and the bastard only took half of it out. Still got titties
>>
>>38249923
>telling someone not to leave humanity behind
>>
Currently running 5/3/1 and doing chin ups/Tricep stuff on upper body compound days and ab work in lower body compound days. Since it's only 4 days a week program is there any reason I can't do my arm/ab work all four days?
>>
>>38249936
most gyno isn't tits. its like really puffy nips.
>>
>>38247311
When doing front lever, should i retract my scapula?
>>
/fit/ I'm going on a run with a girl today. Any tips? Am I supposed to talk while running?
>>
>>38250054
yes.

(also i find talking helps my breathing)
>>
File: 1423431492387.jpg (88KB, 600x341px) Image search: [Google]
1423431492387.jpg
88KB, 600x341px
I've been lifting for like 1 month and now I've noticed kinda big stretch marks on my inner thighs and a small one on my arm.

Why the fuck did no one here ever mention anything about these, I've been lurking for 6 months and no one mentioned anything about these. Wtf can I do /fit/ to make them go away? I feel so gross ;_;
>>
>>38250086
nothing the bigger you get the worse they will become just deal with it, my upper arm looks like i have been attacked by a fucking bear
>>
>>38250086
Bro. Take a step back. Youre just a month in. Youve been on the fence for a while now but you finally started doing it. Dont let stretch marks 1 month in deter you from something you should be doing for the rest of your life. Wear them with pride. Youre getting big as fuck, fast as fuck.
You could watch diet more carefully and minimize the fat your gaining but still have a surplus for muscle and energy.
>>
>>38250083
thanks m8
>>
>>38250086
Stretch marks are usually just a problem for people dirty bulking or on roids. Are you by any chance taking more than 4 scoops?
>>
File: 1470607013513.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470607013513.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>38248875
You also do barbell flyes?
>>
>>38247909
you could use bicycle handlebar tape for that pal
>>
I got fat bar grips. Couldn't even break 75% off the ground. Is that normal?
>>
>>38247513
>tfw this manlet thinks he's not a manlet
>>
File: 00AyONNd.jpg (175KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
00AyONNd.jpg
175KB, 1000x1000px
Alright /fit/ this is my current body and what I'm looking to hit daily for calories and macros, I'll be training at least 5 times a week in gym and at least 2 rugby training sessions with a match every week, my goal is muscle building while cutting fat will this do?
>>
>>38247679
>tfw stopped doing Didlies because needed to buy a fuckload of new pants

have you even measured your legs if they are getting bigger? also depends on the pants material, my waist is pretty much the same now that I maintain 200lbs, used to be 176lbs so I had to buy new pants for all the seasons, shit hurts your wallet, senpai

>I think I'm at 34 or 36 waist
>>
>>38250260
Why is there so much fat in your diet? Im not saying fat is bad but its calorie dense.
>>
Chubby female here. I just heard you can lower your weight set point, and I've been inadvertently doing this throughout my weight loss journey. Right now I'm stuck at 158, but my GW is 140-145.
> how can I change my lower weight set point deliberately
> I'm going to maintain this 158 lbs for two weeks before dieting again, is this OK?
>>
Are squats allowed on the smith machine?
>>
My left-side forearm on my left arm hurts when I try lifting things with my hand in a position similar to holding a glass. What might be the cause of this? It doesn't hurt when I do things like bicep curls, but say I held the dumbbell perpendicular to the ground, it hurts that left side forearm just before the wrist.
>>
>>38250355
Show us your tits so we can figure out what a weight set point means
>>
>>38250378
Anything is allowed in the smith machine..thats the beauty of a smith machine
>>
>>38250355
Eat smaller. 1200-1500 kcals
>>
>>38250423
I'm doing that. The scale won't budge. I believe in set points, that your body clings to a certain weight.

I ran into a few plateaus, would eat normally without indulging, and then later on be able to lose weight. I was hoping someone could give me the exact science.
>>
>>38250378
If you use a smith machine for anything other than hanging your coats... Then hang yourself my man.
>>
>>38250484
No such thing. There is no "set point". That's not how your body works. If you've been eating at a deficit and aren't losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. Stop lying to yourself when counting your calories.
>>
>>38250484
>i believe in set points
kek
>>
>>38250497
I use a calorie counter and food scale senpai. Yesterday I had orange juice, popcorn shrimp and 1 cup of ice cream. I did not eat 2000 calories of food, no matter how you slice it. I was losing weight up until last week.
>>
>>38250355
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-2.html/
>>
>>38250530
You're obviously not counting it properly if you're not losing weight. Stop lying to yourself.
>>
>>38250530
>popcorn shrimp
>fucking ice cream
>" I don't indulge"

How about fix your fucking diet and eat healthy, god damn
>>
Am I better off doing ab wheel rollout negatives (only doing the first part of the movement), or just going halfway before pulling back again if I'm currently too weak to do the full movement to go any further without sagging my lower back?
>>
>>38250569
I'm not gaining either. I'm just stuck right now. Are you telling me that plateauing as a whole is a meme, because that's very hard to believe. I don't think reducing calories when I'm already 1400 is healthy. I'm okay with slow weight loss.

>>38250578
What happened to muh calories in, calories out? I'm not eating like shit every day, you can only eat so many beans in a week before you're ready to kill yourself.
>>
>>38250618
I'm telling you now, if you're eating at a deficit, and not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. It's literally that simple. Only eat food that you can get exact proportions on. No fast food, no eye-guessing. Reevaluate your TDEE if need be.
>>
You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem?
>>
>>38250618
What is your age, height, and how many days a week do you exercise?
>>
>be fat
>be dieting
>not really lifting
>do pullups irregularly
>peaked at 5
>could only ever do 3 after with great effort
>usually went about them in a slow way
>hang, go all the way up, back down, hang again.
>ended up doing 5 again, but did them at a faster pace

Why can I do three slow, and five fast? But still can't do more than 5?

6'4 220
>>
>>38250683
Because you're weak in the arms and heavy in the body. You do more fast because you're bouncing to get back up a bit.
>>
>>38250683
You have no grip strength and dont maintain momentum
T. 6'2 195 who foes 20x5
>>
>>38250656
> 24
> 5'7
> 30 minute cardio 3 times a week

Typical weight loss diet
> oatmeal with a tea spoon of maple for flavor ~260
> coffee w/tbsp of sugar ~50
lunch
> coffee w/tbsp of sugar ~50
> peanut butter granola 90
Dinner
> 1 cup homemade chili with sour cream, cheddar ~600
Snack
> fruit juice popsicle ~ 60
So about 1100 calories? I might drink a Gatorade or have an extra popsicle, so at worst 1400? CICO was working pretty well for me, I'm just running into another plateau. But I've been losing weight, this isn't like my first week of dieting. I lost 20 lbs since January, but I ran into plateaus like 3 times. Usually I just made sure not to overreat and start dieting again at another time.
>>
>>38250760
Gonna tell you right now, you're not doing it right. Do you even know your TDEE?

Your approximate BMR 1500. That's not a high BMR, especially ehen your only exercise is 30 minutes of jogging. AT BEST, you burn 1700 calories a day. You need some actual exercise. Start doing HIIT.

Now the diet.

>oatmeal with maple syrup
How many cups of oatmeal? Do you use milk or water? What brand of oats? This is the important info.

>peanut butter granola
Unless you're eating fucking an 1/8th of a cup, it's more than 90 calories. Peanut butter is a high calorie food, and granola is too with how many nuts and such are in it.

>chili with sour cream and cheddar
Did you use an app like MFP to enter in the ingredients and gauge the calories that are in that cup, or did you guess? How much sour cream? How muh cheese?

Sounds like you're not quite as accurate as you think you are.
>>
>>38247345

I have the same build brah, I just focus on absolute proper form when I lift (also, slooow, controlled contraction and extension), mixed with weighted calisthenics, so a lot of core, and that works for me.

If you want to go ham on bodybuilding, go ahead, but functional strength suits us short guys the best!

Hope this helped.
>>
>>38250806
I have measuring cup/spoons.
> 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal, I use water and no butter, just a teaspoon of maple syrup for flavor
> I meant granola bar, the box says 90-100 calories, depends which brand it is
> 1/3 cup of cheese, 1 tbsp of sour cream. It's my biggest meal, but I eat it before 7:00
I've been losing weight following this formula.
>>
>>38250855
A few problems:
1 1/2 cups of oatmeal is roughly 450 calories. Oats are measured in 1/2 cups, dear. And that 1/3 cup of cheese is probably 80-90 cals, as well as another 40-50 on the sour cream, and I doubt that your chili is only 400 calories.
>>
>>38250898
Actually, that cheese is over a serving, so closer to 150-160 calories.
>>
>>38250898
Why wouldn't the chili be 400?
> beans
> ground beef

>>38250931
But fuck, you're right about the cheese.
>>
>>38250953
Because chili has more ingredients than beef and beans.
>>
Whats some good simple food that involves little to no prep

Oatmeal
Tuna from a can

What do you guys eat. I hate cooking
>>
>>38250973
Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches are good. Not bad, just have a little more fat, so don't eat more than 1 or so a day.
>>
File: 1470139546857.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470139546857.gif
2MB, 320x240px
I'm still feeling the pain after my rest day, should I work out anyway? the pain isn't that bad desu, just can feel it when I move my arms.
>>
Do you put spices into your calorie counter?
>>
>>38251061
yes. lift anyway. itll eventually get less and less until its totally gone.
>>
Been lifting for like 5 months and I can already see that my pecs and delts are far behind everything else. I think it might be the reason for my slightly poor posture (I pull my shoulders back without noticing because my back is stronger)
I train 3 times a week, push/pull/legs, is it too early to start training these parts more than once a week?

Squat 90kg
Dl 110kg
Bench 50kg
OHP 30kg

Also how are my stats for 5 months? I was skinnyfat when I started.
>>
I'm planning on preparing my meals 1 week in advance from now on. How long can I freeze / refrigerate things like chicken, sausages, rice ect before they go bad?
>>
>>38251085
Spices have negligible calories.
>>
>>38247896
I took a year and half break due to injury/depression/new job (before that worked out pretty consistently for 6 years) Got back into starting in June. You'll be surprised by how fast your strength comes back, but that first month can definitely be a little depressing.

Do it anon
>>
Hey /fit/, is it true that I should cut first before starting Starting Strength? I'm skinnyfat and Ive heard that I need to shed fat before bulking for SS or else Ill make very little progress.
>>
>>38251176
you'll get stronger no problem. you'll just be adding muscle under all your fat. depending how fat you are you might start looking better but still be fat. if youre really fat you probably will have a hard time staying conscious while you lift.

id cut though. work on fixing your food addiction and learning how important calories are. its something most people struggle with.
>>
how long did it take for you anon's to have your shoulders come out of your arms, i mean to have your delts protruding from your arms, i dont mean like cannonball big but big enough to be noticeable without the use of light
>>
Came back to the gym after 8 month gap. Didn't get far back then. 140lbs 5 10 - dyel

Anyway whenever I squat I get a sharp pain that lasts two days in my right groin. Didnt have this last year.
Pretty sure its my pectineus. It's slowing me down, I'm only adding 2.5kg each time. And stretches arent doing anything.

is it an injury or defect? Will it go away.
>>
>>38251221
Is there any difference between cutting before doing SS or after SS?
>>
>>38251337
well in one scenario you would be fat while lifting.
in the other you would be thin while lifting.

the progression would still be roughly the same.

however, at the risk of giving potentially bad advice, since youre a noob you could maybe eat at a maintenance while lifting and end up getting stronger while lowering your bf%

but doing something like SS i would not recommend if you did that. you would stall quicker
>>
>>38251241
People started commenting on my delts when my OHP hit 1pl8

People started really mirin when it hit 2. Cannonball mode activated then. Throw in lat raises, face pulls and some incline bench/behind the neck presses and you're golden.
>>
File: 8nLFCVP.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51KB, 657x527px
People talking about rotator cuff injuries and how serious it can be. I don't work out my shoulders as much, but what can I do to protect against rotator cuff problems? I don't even really know what it is desu.
>>
In terms of long term health (not muscle building), what's more important, cardio or good diet? By health I mean living a long life with as low a risk of disease/old age bone injuries/etc. It seems the healthy food area is very divisive and there's a lot of contradictory research about dieting.
>>
>>38251415
depends how healthy you mean by healthy

however i keep hearing the phrase from doctors that "exercise is the best thing you can do for your health"

so probably exercise. its just eating shittily while exercising makes it more painful. i hate exercising after a sodium binge like chinese takeout
>>
>>38251388
right now im doing barbell military press, machine side raises and rear flys
4x12 all of them
did lat raises but i couldnt feel pain at all in the shoulders only in my wrists and i couldnt fix it so i said fuck it, and im scared as fuck of the bar so im not doing any kind of OHP
>>
File: 1469035482333.png (47KB, 403x892px)
1469035482333.png
47KB, 403x892px
I've been doing Greyskull LP for some time, the "Linebacker Focus" in particular(except without the neck harness, and with v-handle lat pulldowns instead of chins since I can only do 4 reps).

I feel like I could still make better use of my workout days, so I've been thinking about adding a few accessories.
What does /fit/ of adding Incline Dumbbell Bench Press on my Bench days, and seated Cable Row on my Press day? And what would be a good rep range for the incline bench?
>>
>>38251377
>since youre a noob you could maybe eat at a maintenance while lifting
This, progress will be slower by a minuscule amount than on a surplus but your looks will improve much faster than bulking from the get go. Waiting to get thin before starting to lift breaks the cardinal rule for beginners: start now.

>>38251410
This may be shocking, but it's damage to your rotator cuff. To prevent it stay away from exercises like high pulls and behind the neck presses - at least until your cartilage and rotator muscles become stronger. Do OHP and bench presses with proper form.
>>
I'm not feeling sore from doing GS, am I doing something wrong? I just feel tired after the last workout.

Also, should I add butt exercises on cardio days or in the same lifting days?
>>
how the fuck do you stay lean while enjoying drinking on the weekend

seems like one night out undoes a week of progress
>>
>>38251523
drink less and learn to enjoy yourself without being shitfaced.

eat less on days that you drink.

stop being an alcohol
>>
>>38251466
For nattys the limiting factor usually isn't how much you work out, but recovery and frequency. A lot of people feel like they are doing too little while on a proper program. Just be patient.

As far as accesories go: You could go for the finisher method. Basically for every main lift you do that day, you do one single isolation set in the 6-12 range for the main muscles worked by the compounds. This will give you that extra boost in stimulation without negatively affecting recovery.

OHP = Lateral Raise
Deads = Ham curls etc.
>>
>>38251462
You'll never have real cannonballs. Face your fear or be forever DYEL.
>>
>>38251462
>scared as fuck of the bar so im not doing any kind of OHP
OHP is one of the last dangerous exercises for your delts. Doing delts on machines and with dumbbells but avoiding the press because you don't want to get injured is stupid as fuck.

Also, you'll never get big if pussy out. When you get to a 3plt squat, every workout you'll feel a bit queasy about getting under the bar - the trick is to do it anyway. If you're not scared at least a bit - it's not challenging, if it's not challenging - you're not on the right track.
>>
File: shoulder.jpg (35KB, 590x401px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder.jpg
35KB, 590x401px
>>38251410

Rotator cuff is made of 4 muscles that stabilize your shoulder joint.
Supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and teres minor originate from backside of your scapula.
Subscapularis goes from the front. For most people, the back 3 are weak and underdeveloped.

To strengthen those, you basically need to do more rear delt and back work overall, but if you really wanna target them, Alan Thrall has this great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg

skip to about 8:00

Basically, you can just do this between sets and it doesn't take any extra time. Also, Omar Isuf recommends lightweight facepulls as a shoulder pre-hab.

Also, in terms of shoulder health, watch out for impingement syndrome. This is when tendons that run under acromion rub the bone and get damaged if it happens frequently and with heavy weights. To avoid it, make sure your arms aren't very flared out on benchpress, pushups, etc. Keep them tucked closer to your body. They should not go above 75 degree angle of abduction.
>>
>>38251543
i know but the problem is my shoulders for some reason cant take it, as soon as i lift the bar my muscles start twitching and my wrist starts to hurt
>>38251592
the problem is i dont want to get big, i just want to have a swimmers body which ive managed to do it for the most part except for shoulders because i couldnt work them out for a long time due to lack of time

what you guys are saying is fuck my fears and do OHP?
>>
How long should I spend foam rolling each muscle group? Is the point where I find a trigger point and hold for 20 seconds included?
>>
Is it possible to feel your serratus anterior or am I imagining things?
>>
>>38251336
If you squat lowbar you have to open up your stance or muscles get pinched inbetween the femur and the hip bone (or groin, whatever). If you squat highbar and experience this problem you either squat VERY narrow and should solve it as in the lowbar problem, OR you fail to engage your glutes causing you to do "leg-press into goodmorning"s which again, causes the previously described problem.

TL;DR point feet slightly more outward or stop tilting over so much during the squat.
>>
>>38251676
Until it stops hurting
>>38251713
Yeah you can, well done on the gains
>>
>>38251632
>as soon as i lift the bar my muscles start twitching and my wrist starts to hurt
Either you have an impingement (unlikely) or you are not using proper technique. For all the shit that Alan Thrall gets for being a cringy motherfucker, his videos are goat on these subjects- so go to his channel and look up his videos on shoulders and OHP.
>>
>>38251498
You usually don't feel sore on fullbody programs. It's normal, soreness is usually just a sign that you haven't done something in a "long" time (like murdering chest once a week etc.) and not a measurement of workout quality
>>
>>38251776
just checked his videos and one question is seated OHP press bad? or should i only do the regular OHP
>>
>>38247345
dont listen to the haters, get fukken huge
>>
File: VID_20160811_0425500.webm (564KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20160811_0425500.webm
564KB, 640x360px
Bp Form check 1/2 6'4/27/255lb
>>
File: VID_20160811_04232100.webm (540KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20160811_04232100.webm
540KB, 640x360px
>>38251856
2/2
>>
>>38247311
Do fat burning supplements work?
>>
>>38251876
heels should be flat on the floor
>>
>>38247382
Try squatting 405 cold without a warmup, idiot.
>>
File: serratus_anterior.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
serratus_anterior.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
What are the most isolated exercises for serratus anterios? I'd like to define mine more, but I'm afraid of flying-squirrel-mode-lats, or fridge-mode-obliques.
>>
>>38251856
>>38251876
The bar should be in line with your shoulder at the top of the movement. You should be using your feet to push your shoulders into the bench and support your low back arch. Keep your shoulders and lats tight.
>>
>>38251919
Don't have the ankle flexibility for it with the legs under the bench. Will having them flat ahead of the knee be acceptable?
>>
>>38251941
fork put-down x F
>>
>>38247679
If your squat is only 160 after 3.5 months, you're not doing the program correctly.
>>
>>38247915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0
>>
>>38251856
>>38251876
Feet flat under knees, straighten your wrists and tighten your glutes
>>
>>38251945
Thanks, with shoulders tight /spacula retracted is it normal to have the maximum height of the bar a good 10inches lower? Anything higher andy shoulders shift
>>
>>38251952
then stay as you are until you are flexible enough, you need to be able to push down on them to engage properly if that makes sense? if not rip has a good vid
>>
Anyone got a particular creatine brand they like or is creatine just creatine?

100% creatine btw none of that weird flavored mixed shit.
>>
File: bench.jpg (62KB, 373x479px) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
62KB, 373x479px
>>38252004
Yes, the bar would be lower but 10 inches seems extreme. The picture illustrates what your top and bottom should look like. Arms are straight with the bar sitting over the shoulders, while the bottom has the bar a bit lower than where it started on your chest.
>>
>>38251952
Having your feet in front of the knees is fine as long as you're using your legs to drive your shoulders into the bench.
>>
Oi guys. I've been training for rugby and can't seem to get my sleep schedule back under control. Melatonin isn't working unless it's 15mg and I'm so tired from training it's almost like I can't just stay up to reset it. Anybody know a foolproof way to get this fixed?
>>
>>38252066
>>38252042
>>38252017
Awesome thanks
>>
>>38252091
why do you retards turn to drugs so quickly?

stay the fuck up until you need to go to sleep you weak willed bitch.
>>
>>38252024
Try magnesium creatine chelate. It yields less water weight. There is also creatine monohydrate and creatine dyhydrate the latter tends to break down into creatinine and the prior is like the god of creatine.
>>
So I recently started working out again after like 4 years.

Been going pretty hard for the last few days and because of my inactivity, have lactic acid buildup in both my arms and legs.
Arms being from 2 days ago and legs from yesterday.

My question is; If the soreness goes away by the end of the day, can I go right back into the gym or do I still have to take the whole day off? I really enjoy going and just want to get back in as soon as possible.
>>
>>38252126
>melatonin
drug.
>>
>>38252126
Rofl it's not a drug it's the chemical that gives your skin color.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 766x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 766x460px
>>38252130
>going to the gym every day

Calm down nigguh, take a rest day at least every two days.
>>
Should you lose scapula retraction/depression each rep of the Incline db press or am I extending too far
>>
>>38251898
Yes but they're useless unless you're a pro bodybuilder.

ECA and similar stacks slightly heighten your core temperature and burn a tiny amount of calories more - not enough to make a difference if your diet isn't on point. An in that case why bother. Plus it has some irritating side effects for most people and some potentially debilitating/deadly ones for people with certain genetic traits.

DNP works by screwing with your mitochondria to burn a decent amount of calories. But it will mess you up: one slight fuck-up with dosing and you're a disabled or dead. It's basically rat posion that some people take in sub-lethal does to lose 1-2kg extra per month.

If you got the discipline to get lean you'll make it without them, if not they won't make up for it.
>>
>>38252130
You don't have lactic acid build-up. That clears up minutes after lifting or you're seriously sick.

You have DOMS, it is the bodies reaction to unaccustomed stress. It fades away after a week or so at most and stays gone as long as you exercise regularly. It shouldn't have an effect on your work-outs except discomfort.

Also, this: >>38252156
>>
>>38252156

But what if I just worked core?
I feel really happy when I'm at the gym, improving myself
>>
File: frozen throne.jpg (70KB, 256x353px) Image search: [Google]
frozen throne.jpg
70KB, 256x353px
>>38247311
this is probably the wrong board for this, but whats a good razor to get?
>>
>>38252136
>>38252141

but you are ingesting it to affect your sleep. all that could accomplish is a habitual dependence on melatonin supplements
>>
>>38252223
Going to the gym every day is going to cause systemic fatigue and burn-out. Plus your body doesn't have enough time to actually get stronger before being stressed again.
>>
>>38252255
dollar shave club's cheapest razor.

i save so much money on razor shit and the shave is as good as i need it to be.
>>
>>38247591
Eat less, lift weights (use any linear progression program, SS/SL/GSLP are OK), add cardio as much as possible.
>>
>>38252255
Merkur 34C or any other "entry level" one works fine.
>>
If I slip/bulge/herniate a disk, I'm going to know right? I'm always worried that little aches and pains are actually serious injuries just waiting to happen.
>>
>>38252384
yeah its gonna hurt a lot. herniated disks arent as bad as you think, it'll put you out of commission for a while when you get one(maybe) but most people already have em and dont even know. I wouldn't worry about it
>>
How bad of an idea is it to do chin ups for biceps? My wrists are 6 inches thick and curling really hurts them.
>>
I'm looking to buy a barbell and weights for an at home gym. I'm pretty new to lifting and I live in bum fuck nowhere so no gym close by. Are there any specific brands I should be looking for? Every time I find a bar, there's people complaining about it bending or just straight up breaking. I don't need anything more than 120ish pounds. Also, will any plate go on any bar or are plates made specifically for the bar they come with?
>>
>>38252257
Yes however I only use it about once a week
>>
>>38252384
a bad one will hurt. but most of the pain comes from nerves being compressed by said herniated disk, not the disk itself. so if you got one and its not compressing anything, you could potentially not know it.

my dad has had 5 in his life, so thats how i know
>>
>>38252527
yeah, chins are fine. youll get plenty of bicep growth from chins as a beginner.
>>
File: aaron_bleyaert.jpg (18KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
aaron_bleyaert.jpg
18KB, 500x288px
If you're taking an "after" progress picture, do you flex in it? Or just maintain the same pose unflexed
>>
>>38252557
then stfu about it.
>>
>>38252534
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbell#.22Standard.22_barbell
>>
Do I need a "leg day" if I front squat three times a week and deadlift 1-2 times?
>>
>>38252534
If you're buying new, buy from Rogue Fitness. Great quality and customer service.
>>
>>38252605
Doesn't matter, as long as you're consistent. If you flex in both before and after pics, the difference will be just as visible as when you don't flex in both. Obviously you also need to be consistent with time of the pic. e.g. take both pics in the morning, before breakfast and with the same lighting etc.
>>
So I have a 4ft7 barbell with a 1" diameter and120 in total weights.

I'm already benching 80 punds and I'm 2 weeks in and I'm still cutting.

My fear is that I will soon surpass 120 punds once I start bulking.

should I sell my bar and get an olympic one with more weights, or is there a such thing as a 1" olympic bar?

I don't wanna sell my plates though because I got these plates and my bench for $75 and I know replacing these plates would be ALOT more expensive (i'm poor).
>>
File: DSC_0004.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>38248436
My 4% Nutrition Sipping Humanity Behind Cup. Whatever it takes.
>>
>>38252698
get a 7 foot, 45 lb bar with a 2 inch collar. Bite the bullet and get it over with before you wind up spending a ton of money on shitty 1 inch plates. Your bench will also be greater than 120 lbs in no time. You should buy at least 300 lbs worth of weights.
>>
175cm height
constantly worried exercising my shoulders and trapeze will make me look wide and consequently even shorter
how avoid this
>>
>>38252751

No one has ever looked worse from getting bigger shoulders and traps.
>>
total beginner, i'm having a really hard time keeping my balance and maintaining proper form doing squats, is there any exercises i can do to improve that?
>>
>>38252781
any tips to avoid appearing shorter due to exercising or is it irrational fear fueled by insecurity? both?
>>
File: image.jpg (494KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
494KB, 600x849px
I've been accessorizing SL with chin-ups and dips as Mehdi suggests. I've now been doing 3x10 unweighted dips for a month, and instead of adding weight I'd like to try something new. What's a better replacement: pull-ups (so alternating with the chin-ups I'm already doing) or Rippetoe-style curls? This would be on my 'A' day after Squats / Bench / Rows.
>>
>>38252815
Think about keeping the bar balanced over the middle of your foot. You can also try squatting against the uprights of the squat rack to practice keeping the bar moving straight up and down.

>>38252820
youll only look better from exercising. stop worrying so much, no one really cares about height except the weirdos on /fit/
>>
>>38252815
Try putting all your weight into your heels. A lot of beginners will try to squat on the balls of their feet, and their heels will come off the ground, resulting in some weird balancing squat.

IF you are doing that, try and almost lift your toes while you're squatting. It'll help get the feel of shifting weight into your heels, where the weight is easier to manage.
>>
>>38252852
thank you friend. you're wonderful
>>
>>38252734
fuck man, alright how much do you think 120 pounds with the bar would go for?

$1 per pound?

also I gotta buy the weights new because my classifieds site I use for my area doesn't have that much weight for sale, what site would you recommend for Canada?
>>
>>38252852
>>38252863
thanks dudes
>>
>>38252734
also why are 1" plates shitty?
>>
>>38247352
I actually have a similar pinching pain in the same spot. I get mine when I bench or put lots of pressure on my palm
>>
>>38252907
$1/lb is what you'd see for brand new retail weights. Try listing em at like 75 cents a lb and maybe someone will buy em, but expect to get like 50 cents/lb. Try checking craigslist, you tend to be able to get some good deals from there. Also keep an eye out for used sports stores or closing gyms. You can get some good stuff from an auction at a closing gym. Do some research about whats around and dont be afraid to take a drive out somewhere if you can get a lot of stuff at a good price.
Before I went out and bought bumper plates, I got ~265 lbs of olympic iron plates and locking collars for under 100 bucks from a dude on craigslist. The weights are the thing you'll find the cheapest. If you buy a used bar, make sure it's straight and the collars spin. If you buy a brand new bar, a good one will run you about $300.
>>
>>38247419
>this
>>
>>38252935
Olympic collars are 2" diameter. 1" collared barbells are low quality and manufactured down to a price. It's why they're so much cheaper than the good bars. Some 1 inch plates aren't made from iron either, just plastic donuts filled with sand or concrete that don't last.
>>
>>38247560
Pick a ratio and stick with it
It's not that hard
>>
File: Shit.jpg (231KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Shit.jpg
231KB, 500x250px
Former Fatty Here.

230lb at 5'9" (104 kg at 175 cm) down to 160 lb (72.5 kg)

I have a fitness instructor that said it's probably time for me to start bulking. I read the sticky when I started cutting (1500 kcal) and now that i'm bulking I've gone up to 2200kcal to gain muscle

Now that i'm eating more I'm literally petrified that I'm going to get fat even though I'm lifting. I don't really see much gains in stomach muscles and still have love handles. Do I have another Cut cycle after this bulk to really get nice aesthetics?

Tl;Dr: Was fat, now not. Bulking scares me, just want a nice body. Encouragement/advice?
>>
>>38249758
I was eating at a surplus for around 3 months and gained 18 pounds. It looks like my bf% didn't change.

Goal is visible abs
>>
>>38252971
so this
https://www.amazon.ca/CAP-Barbell-Solid-Chrome-7-Feet/dp/B002OOYINA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1470853615&sr=1-1&keywords=olympic+bar

isn't a good bar?
I'd rather not spend $300 on a bar maybe $150 max

so closing gyms is there a certain time that gyms start closing down? April?

>>38253003
Alright thanks yeah I think my plates may be full of sand or something, they for sure don't feel iron

sorry for all the questions anon
>>
Anyone else suffer with mood changes when cutting?

I feel really tired and a starting to feel a bit depressed, i have like 2 months of sitting around till i go to university and thought it would be a easy time to cut. But last few days i have lost motivation to do anything and feel like i want to sleep all day.
>>
Why does my collarbone hurt when doing back squats? I think I'm doing highbar but not sure.
>>
Do spices and seasonings have calories I need to calculate?
>>
in all serious, how do you count your macros. It just seems impossible to measure out every single calorie consumption every day so I just don't do it. what apps do you use? how do you account for literally everything you eat during the day?? please help.
>>
>>38253082

>>38253028
here.

When I first started cutting the tired-ness was pretty palpable. It makes sense when you consider that you're literally limiting the amount of energy you're giving yourself each day.
>>
>>38253124
Myfitnesspal. Free version calculates macros for you, all you have to do is scan labels. When putting together a meal buy a food scale ($10 US) and measure it all out once, then save the recipe. every time afterwards just log the recipe.

It's literally the easiest part of getting fit, just scan food. If you can't find the will to do that you'll never pick up any heavy shit.
>>
>>38252647
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>38253116
seasonings may have salt in them, but in most cases spices have negligible, if any, calories.
>>
why are my deadlifts such shit?
>225 x 5 Bench
>135 x 5 OHP
>255 x 5 Squat
can barely do 245 3 times deadlifting... wtf fit
>>
>>38253160
wait so I have to keep salt in mind? Because i've been salting everything i eat.
>>
>>38253168
You really need to sort something out nigga you can almost bench more than you can deadlift...
Do you have any lower back strength???
>>
File: 13592645371953.gif (915KB, 275x158px) Image search: [Google]
13592645371953.gif
915KB, 275x158px
>>38253208
do you know what sodium is? Do you know what overeating salt does?
>>
>>38253051
Gyms close all the time. Just check around online. Cap bars are okay at best. I'd recommend finding a used York bar over buying a Cap if you can, especially since that one's only rated for 500 lbs, not a sign of high quality. Avoid cheap chrome plated bars. I know Cap also sells another similar bar rated for 1000 lbs, and that one's alright for the money. I'd consider saving up for a $300 bar because you'll probably wind up buying one when you bend/break a cheap bar.
>>
File: 1470752593043.jpg (27KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1470752593043.jpg
27KB, 268x268px
>>38248875
>one of those stands to put the barbell on
>>
>>38253223
i feel like my lower back is strong from squats
>>
>>38253168
Deadlift more often. Start at a weight you can get an easy 5 with, then add 10 lbs 2-3 times/week to your deadlift. How often to do you deadlift compared to your bench and press?
>>
>>38250378
Nothing is allowed on the smith machine.
>>
>>38253239
Squats don't really strengthen your lower-back anon.
>>
>>38253239
Go make a webm of deadlift form with a broom or something bls
>>
>>38251415
Good diet. "Dieting" is used to describe when fat people eat less and lose weight, THAT'S what's meant by doctors when they talk about the effectiveness of dieting. But in terms of long-term health, what you put into your body is more important than exercise (but you should do both, of course).
>>
>>38253227
shit on my dick it's going to take forever to get my homegym setup.

as for looking around online what keywords would I search for if I wanted to know what gyms in my town are closing?

"closing gyms in *town*" ?

kind've retarded question but I need to know
>>
I have long legs relative to my torso (6'2")

Should I still be able to squat properly? It feels awkward as fuck and I'm very weak
>>
>>38253168
Either your form is utter shit or your form on other lifts are utter shit.

You are probably not squatting to depth, or you are doing your deadlifts in some backward way.
>>
>>38253313
It feels awkward as fuck because you're very weak, and probably very stiff.
Start stretching and it'll pick up
>>
>>38253300
Pretty much, I'd look up gyms in the area, check out the site to see it they're closing. Check craigslist too, sometimes other people buy out closing gyms and sell the equipment.

How much are you looking to spend total? You might get lucky with craigslist and get a rack, bar, and weights for 200 bux but it takes patience. When I first put my home gym together, I spent 300 on a new bar, 300 on a new cage, and like 75 on used weights. Now I've got a $700 rack and a full set of colored bumpers. Patience is key if you don't wanna fork out the big bucks right away.
>>
>>38253247
bench and squat twice a week
deadlift once a week

>>38253314
i ATG squat
>>
>>38253313
I have the opposite problem where my torso is long, but im the same height. A shorter torso just means youll have a more pronounced forward lean in the squat while a long torso will cause you to be more upright. No big deal either way.
>>
>>38253363
I'd increase your deadlift frequency until it stops sucking and keep the weight increases modest to the tune of 5-10 lbs a session. You can deadlift more than once a week if you're not very strong in it.
>>
>>38253224
no senpai. i have no idea.
>>
>>38253363
Then your dead lift form is terrible, that or you have really short arms.

But even that makes no sense since you said you can ATG squat more than you DL which makes no sense, since you could just squat whilst holding the bar.
>>
>>38253224
it does nothing unless you have a preexisting condition. salt and hypertension is basically a myth because the difference is negligible. the worst part about eating excess salt is the water retention.
>>
>>38251941

Bumping for a legitimate answer
>>
I'm new to lifting and recently started lifting 3 times a week a month ago. During the first week of lifting I was pretty sore the day after each work out but after that it really wasn't bad at all. Am I not pushing myself hard enough? I'm still able to go up in lbs pretty consistently on my lifts and they feel pretty tough to do during my time at the gym.
>>
>>38253486
no, DOMS goes away during routines unless you switch up the exercises or really blast a muscle. and even then depending how long you've been lifting it lasts much shorter than after day one.
>>
>>38253486
That's normal. As your body adapts to lifting weights you stop getting sore. I haven't been sore in months, maybe even years.
>>
>>38253028
Any advice here guys? I'm really new to bulking, read the sticky but am I just going to have to deal with the fat that comes with the muscle?
>>
best beginner program for skinny guy with much more development on lower body than upper thanks to sports?
Not enthusiastic about SS since it has 2 lower body exercises
>>
>>38253544
How tall are you? 160 makes you a twig, eat something and gain muscle.

>>38253583
SS will develop your legs plenty, do yourself a favor and read the book.
>>
>>38253623
I meant my legs are already much more developed and stronger than my upper body. Will read though
>>
>>38253623
I'm not very tall, 160 lbs puts me in normal BMI.

Definitely not a twig either. Am i just going to have to cut again after bulk to get dem aesthetics?
>>
>>38253353
Yeah I think my best bet is to buy equipment from a closing gym and if in 1 year I don't find one I'll just pay the premium for a new setup
>>
>>38253685
Gain some weight, do a good routine and see where it takes you. If you're sitting at 160 at 15% body fat, you'll look much better at 180 at 18-20%. Don't be afraid to gain weight, you'll probably like how it turns out, but don't use this as an excuse to eat like a fatty.
>>
a lot of my protein intake lately has been from whey, because I've been busy and neglecting my diet (but not my lifting).

will this hurt my gains?
>>
>>38247352
You might have carpal tunnel. It might not hurt now but it might in the future. If you need to, get surgery.
>>
File: 1438500555093.jpg (88KB, 500x604px) Image search: [Google]
1438500555093.jpg
88KB, 500x604px
Question
If my TDEE is ~2800 calories (181cm 77kg) should I just keep eating that much calories ( good ones i mean like oats chicken breast n broccoli) to keep my weight and at the same time remove fat and gain muscle? So far I've gotten a nice V taper and my legs, shoulder muscle, strength and overall fitness level gains are fucking amazing and improved my quality of life incredibly, but my beer belly is still there. At least it feels so, it's visible when i bend over i get this weird fat roll on the lower part of my abdomen. It's smaller than it used to be, but still I was expecting a bit more. Is it body dysmorphia or am I just too old (33yo) to expect a semi decent six pack after about a year of lifting. I look great in a tight t shirt tho.
>>
Can someone explain "overtraining" to me? Is that just a general guideline for people to avoid injury, or is there literally a point while working out in which your muscles will no longer benefit from exercise?
>>
>>38253870
It's what happens when you apply more stress to your body than you can recover and adapt from. Beginners need not worry about overtraining, it's something that usually only occurs in people who are very strong or idiots with shitty routines.
>>
>>38253803
First off, your TDEE isn't 2800 cal. Ignore exercise estimates, they're inaccurate as hell.

Second, you're not going to lose fat without a deficit.
>>
>>38253968
Thanks man, Pretty much figured those estimates being bullshit is the major cause of my problem cos there is no logic the calculator could know the amount of exercise based on height/weight info only.
>>
When I squat and deadlift my legs start to look like a bambi and start to cave in and move around a bit. it only really happens when I'm at 90/95% of my max. I'm not a beginner and my form is very solid (cousin). Is it just a hip abductor/adductor/core issue? or is it something else?
>>
>>38254131
I'd say that my max is the weight I can move withouth caving. Once form is compromised I don't consider that as vaild. So yeah, when you start caving that's your max, if your adductors or other stabilizers are the limiting factor then maybe some isolation work is in order - or you can just let them catch-up by deloading a bit and slowly working back up.
>>
>>38254131
post vid and whats your max?
>>
File: FUCK.jpg (7KB, 300x213px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.jpg
7KB, 300x213px
I'm about 25 pounds overweight after already losing like 20 a few months ago. Obviously, I want to get rid of it as quickly as possible without endangering my health or doing something stupid. So is this the most efficient I can be?

1550 cal/day (20/40/40, a 600 cal deficit)
Lifting SS 3x a week
Cardio 3x a week

Is there anything else I can do? Am I doing too much? I just don't want to have a gut anymore, I've never not had one.
>>
>>38254686
oh yeah I'm retarded. Male, 5'11", 180 pounds.
>>
>>38254598
Don't got a vid, but it's 285, (I'm 150 at 6'). I'm not saying it's 4plts or anything but i think it's enough to mess with my form.
>>
i did bench and incline bench today

can i do overhead press tomorrow without overtraining since some of the muscles are the same?
>>
>>38254704
180 @ 5'11" is fine, you might want to focus on gaining some muscle first. If you lose a ton of weight without gaining muscle, you'll still look like shit. Focus on getting strong and gaining mass, then cut. You'll look better in less time.
>>
>>38254735
I wouldn't, there's a big crossover for those three exercises.
>>
>>38254762
abso-fucking-lutely not. I'm fat, I'd rather be skinny with no muscle and bulk up from there than get muscle and be fat for another 5 months.
>>
File: estimate.jpg (1MB, 1503x2079px) Image search: [Google]
estimate.jpg
1MB, 1503x2079px
>>38254762
>>38254795
pic for reference. Jesus I'm dumb for forgetting to include this shit
>>
File: 20160810_161252.png (246KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_161252.png
246KB, 1440x2560px
Can I get any opinions on this "powerbuilding" routine ? Also if anyone has any good routines could you share them please.
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.