[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

traumatophobia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: arnold-deadlifting.jpg (189KB, 559x424px) Image search: [Google]
arnold-deadlifting.jpg
189KB, 559x424px
I have a fear of injury. Part of what brought me into wanting to lift is to prevent injury while getting jacked. But I'm having trouble finding sources for inspiration. Everywhere I go there's hordes of memers reciting the, "lifting doesn't injure you, lifting with incorrect form does" meme. Yet I'm having trouble finding many or any reputable sources for inspiration. Everyone claims lifting makes you bulletproof in one thread disputing the injury aspects of lifting then you go to another thread talking about lifting injuries and it's filled with pain and agony

My question is, as a traumatophobic, where are my high profile lifters as sources of inspiration? A long tenured list of successful liftera with no lifting related injuries? Why aren't there more people focusing on not just looking ripped but also remaining injury free? Why aren't more people attracted to the health and longevity side of lifting? It's just lift heavy and roid but to me it appears this is a recipe for a life of pain and injuries, not a pain free healthy happy and long life..
>>
look up barbell brigade and Omar isuf
>>
>>38146984
omar isuf has been injured lifting as has all of his buds.
>>
>>38146957
You're going to get injured if you do physical things, your body wasn't built to last forever. Either you fall in the shower when you're 86 or you throw out your back doing deadlifts that are too heavy. You can get repetitive stress injuries from too much wear on your knees, ankles, and hips doing the exact thing they were meant to do. You can pinch the nerves in your spinal column doing yoga to unwind.

The extremes hurt your body, but no one cares about normal people, everyone wants to be somehow extraordinary. If you choose to not risk it, that's fine, but don't act like it isn't your choice to be content with not pushing your own envelope. The good thing about weightlifting is that you can generally tell if something will be bad for you down the line, and you can almost always work around it by doing some other lift it a machine. That is not true for a lot of the disciplines.
>>
>>38147572
>You're going to get injured if you do physical things, your body wasn't built to last forever.
I disagree. Most physical things in life won't injure you. It's a lot easier to stay injury free doing physical things when you're not trying to correctly load several hundred pounds and use your body like a giant lever. It's common sense.

>Either you fall in the shower when you're 86 or you throw out your back doing deadlifts
I reckon staying on your feet is a lot easier than doing deadlifts injury free. Keep in mind, injuries don't just manifest themselves in the form of a broken bone or muscle tear. There's all kinds of little protective sacs in your body that can cause lifelong pain without injury, tendons that can be perpetually aggravated, all issues that are far less likely to crop up when not placing the body under extreme loads.

>You can get repetitive stress injuries from too much wear on your knees, ankles, and hips doing the exact thing they were meant to do
You can but I think it's far less likely in an active person. Sedentary people and heavy lifters seem to me to gripe the most of injuries.

Hence why I'm here. I wish that fitness routines that sought out the best course of a healthy, happy, injury free and aesthetic pleasing body were more popular is all. Not just "me big muscle, me best" type of retardation and autism. Where are all the admirable fit people who lead injury free lives? It's simply not popular to and I think it's for no good reason. Bodybuilders, powerlifters and other competitive lifters are relics of the past.
>>
>>38147711
No way, man. Runners have all the injuries, sprinting or cross country, they all have something going on. Active people have injuries and complain about them because they use those parts and they regularly limit their engagement in those activities.

And staying on your feet gets tough as you get older, there's a reason old people talk about falling like it was a crisis or big event.
>>
>>38147757
>Runners have all the injuries, sprinting or cross country, they all have something going on
I wouldn't classify these as low risk activities either. They all push your body to its limits. Walking or cycling would be a far better alternative for a person seeking to be fit without injury.

>And staying on your feet gets tough as you get older
That's true but why would you compare a virile young man performing risky heavy lifts with an on his death bed fossil who can barely walk? Heavy lifting isn't the best course towards being able to walk when you're in your 80's.
>>
>>38147804
So what's your plan?
>>
>>38147873
There's no good plan right now because the status quo is that heavy lifting has this mythical cure-all status whereas I'm more interested in discussing the severely underrepresented downsides of heavy lifting. Look at the general discussions around here it all revolves around heavy lifting and steroids. People seeking only to be better than the other guy. That's an unhealthy mindset. We need more popular people spreading fitness advice that will lead to actual longevity, not short term popularity. I believe most people who disagree with me don't, they've simply been misled.
>>
take a look at serious long-term practitioners of yoga. you see all kinds of old men with weird lumpy bodies but fluid movement, looking like your average bland gutty 50 year old office worker, but in their eighties and nineties. Yoga isn't the only means to this end, you can do it with weights, but care and physical awareness go a long way. slow uneven farmer's walks with close attention to alignment and fluidity of motion will go a long way towards building up the stability these guys have, if not the mobility per se. loaded isometrics, which are great for tendon strength, can do the same given awareness of form
>>
you're not gonna break any records like this but you can get your body looking and feeling pretty great
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.