[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 27

File: qtddtot.png (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.png
8KB, 284x177px
Last one hit bump limit and I've got questions myself
>>
If im still doing low weights (1 pl8 bench) on most of my work outs and im relatively new to lifting, how long should i be resting?

I'm starting ICF 5x5 and the recommended time for resting is 3-5 minutes, but that seems asinine at my level. I generally take 45-60 second breaks at most between sets.

Also, my dieting is very poor but I want to fix it. I've never eaten my greens as a kid and i hate them, but obviously need to learn to eat them. Where can i find recipes that apply to a 2550 calorie diet per day that will help me eat properly. I'm really bad with eating right and food in general, and need a lot of help finding what to eat and how much.
>>
Alright yo, I just need some feedback on my routine
3 day split:

Chest:
3x5 flat bench
3x5 incline bench
3x5 cable flies
5x5 Triceps (cables/skullcrushers/dips etc.)

Legs:
5x5 reg squat
3x5 standing calf raises
5x5 hamstring extension
3x5 seated calf raises
3xf core (crunches or wtf ever)

Back:
1x5,1x5,1x3,1x1 Deadlifts
3x5 shrugs
3x5 lats (cable or pullup)
3x5 OHP
3x5 rear shrugs
3x5 CURLS
fxf Grip strength
and sometimes farmer carrys

The reason for mostly 3x5 and 5x5 is that I go with much higher weights/more intensity, a lot of them are near failure.
>>
If milk is high in estrogen what is an equivalent food but high in testosterone?
>>
>>38137977
For resting I always wait until my heartrate/breathing more or less return to normal. For me this ends up being 2-3m

If you have a blender you can blend a whole bunch of stuff together. One I used for a long time is spinach/frozen bananas/milk/honey/cocoa/protien powder. Nothing special but its a good way to start I guess
>>
>>38138050
Bull semen
>>
>>38138039
Enjoy your nodelts
>>
>>38138122
Preeeettty sure OHP works delts. I guess I could add an isolation but ehh..
>>
3.5 years lifting and still somehow doing beginners programs.
My lifts are shit because I'm always trying to cut

What is a good program?

yes I'm an idiot
>>
friends, ive been having moist nightmares for a little while now, i usually displease the angels once every two or three days but some times i touch the wand of sin two three times in a span of twenty four hours.
Ive not had many slumbers in which my desires take hold of me in the past decade of my post pubescent life.
In addition to that, every time I battle the serpent, I get some venom being ejected from the eye of the blade I wielded

Semen discharge (wet dreams) ive not been having up to recently taking place in my sleep and after touching myself. what is causing it and how do I proceed?
Ive got a camp coming up where I have to share a dorm with m8s, how to I prevent myself leaking in the mornings? Just jerk it at night?
>>
>>38138240
Read up on taoist semen retention.
>>
I need gym shorts with pockets any recommendations?
>>
Is there a site that puts out the available exercises you can do by putting in the types of weights and gym equipment you have?

Also is there a weight limit on tire flipping that is too much?
>>
>>38138218
get your diet sorted, end of.
even if you're cutting, which should not be more than ~300kcal a day deficit, if you've got your macros sorted you should be fine.
if, however, youre trying to cut by eating like 1000 kcal a day total, fuck you, eat more.

honestly I can generally recommend bulking. it's fun, you'll enjoy lifting more
>>
>>38138240
tried just whacking off during the day?
>>
File: ray.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ray.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
I'm a beginner DYEL. I read the sticky and wanna make sure I don't fuck things up. Is SS actually a meme? I'm only on my 3rd week of it but don't want to get t-rex mode. Is there anything I should add to it? My main goal is to build up strength for the wrestling season (probably unrealistic with only a little over 3 months tho) and get stronger in the long run.
>>
So I've been doing Deadlifts 5x5 routine for a couple of weeks now. I really only started it because my friend told me about it and I didn't know any other routines. Will this routine also help with toning? I want to build strength, but I want to also feel good about my look. Is there anything I should add to the routine to tone my abs for example? I already do curling so my arms are already pretty toned (like a ball).
>>
>>38138240
I'm dying of laughter
this is just too much I swear
>>
How do I know if I have herniated disc?

Snap city on deadlifts gave me sciatica. The origin of the snap was off center a couple inches onto the hip.

I feel good but I stopped most lifts to recover. Only pain is sciatic nerve tingling and stretching that leg is very hard now at first.
>>
>>38138370
Let's say it gives you t-rex mode which it doesn't, then just stop training legs the moment you reach t-rex? Not rocket science.

Great program for your purpose, good luck
>>
Whats the most common mistakes when doing landmine 180?
>>
I've been dieting for a while and my weight loss has stalled. Someone mentioned that taking a week or two break from a deficit "resets" your body and gets weight loss back on track.

Is there any truth to this? My friend claims it worked wonders for him and I know he lost like 50 pounds over half a year.
>>
File: 1468013834834.jpg (81KB, 597x577px) Image search: [Google]
1468013834834.jpg
81KB, 597x577px
Im a fatass who is trying to get fit, (6' tall down to 236lbs from 270 since April), is it possible for me to also gain muscle during this time? I am a skelly covered in fat essentially so I've made noob gains but have stalled these last 3 weeks, is it the fact I'm cutting too many calories or not getting enough protein? Help obi /fit/ kenobi, you're my only hope.
>>
>>38138573
it is possible to gain muscle

your calories and protein may be low, not that I can tell given the information though

make sure your deficit isn't too large (not significantly more than 500cal/day is standard), eating around 1.6g/kg in protein, and consider how long you've been lifting for - you may just need more intermediate style programming now (whilst on a cut at least)
>>38138486
physiologically it probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it gives you a mental and physical break so you can come back fresher again and ready to keep cutting - its the same reason cheat days work so well

a week is bordering on excessive however.

>>38138469
probably using shoulders too much as the primary movers

>>38138449
ask a doctor

>>38138382
anything that uses your muscles will help build muscles

'ab toning' is 90% losing weight. you can add an ab exercise or two when you're leaner

>>38138309
that sounds pretty convoluted. is there a particular piece of equipment you don't know what it's for or something?

>Also is there a weight limit on tire flipping that is too much?
when it's too heavy for you to lift

>>38138289
any shorts ever

>>38138218
do SS with accessories

>>38138039
>2016
>brosplit

>>38137977
you rest as long as you need to hit the next set properly.

if you feel ready after 30 secs, and you manage to hit your next set, then just rest 30 secs. rest time will increase as you get stronger
>>
Are you supposed to feel lateral raises in your traps or am I doing them wrong?
>>
>>38138382
Read the sticky for this one familio
>>38138449
Doctor if you are in enough pain
>>38138486
You've just reached your maintenance, reduce it further or increase the cardio you do.
>>38138573
You can build muscle and lose weight but it needs good calorie and macro control iirc (someone else might know more)
>>
>>38138661
Yeah you can feel it a bit in your traps, just the nature of the movement
>>
>>38138668
>You've just reached your maintenance, reduce it further or increase the cardio you do.
nut according to every tdee calc I find I should still be under maintenance...
>>
>>38138692
Since you are dieting, your metabolism slows down accordingly
>>
>>38138573
Read the sticky
Yes, but you will stall earlier than most

Pick a goal and stick with it. You can gradually taper calories up/down

>>38138486
Stats?
Eat less, or take a few days to eat at maintenance before continuing a deficit

>>38138449
See a doctor

>>38138382
>toning
Read the fucking sticky
There is no 'toning', there is only bigger or smaller in terms of fat or muscle

>Deadlifts 5x5 routine
You're probably a jackass, just to let you know

Also, read the fucking sticky

>>38138370
SS is a good routine. It's best to read the book first so you understand how to progress properly and how to add accessories
Progression is all that matters

If you start getting bigger and fear t-rex, you can reduce squat volume by switching to a greyskull template (pretty much the same, but alternate squat/dead instead of squatting every day). I don't know why anyone would turn down gains though

>>38138289
Try going to a fucking store like Wal-Mart

>>38138309
No. Just hop on a good, proven routine. Any good routine for beginners should be doable in any real gym
Weight limit is one that you can't do properly without hurting yourself or using bad technique

>>38138218
Post stats, lifts and routine
You should not still be permacutting after 3.5 years. You've obviously fucked up some major variables

>>38138039
You haven't even indicated frequency
Beginners have no business making their own routine

And yeah, the routine is shit. Exercise order is always a good indicator that one has no idea what they're doing, and you did fuck that up

>inb4 hurr durr explain
Not worth the time, see above

>>38137977
As long as you need to finish your sets
There are studies showing that shortening rest times has no real benefit past endurance
>>
>>38138705
* Most tdee calcs don't factor this in accurately
>>
>>38138658
No i understand basics but for dumbells, sand bags, and other non standard equipment. And to plan a workout routine to whats available isntead of subbing for every exercise
>>
>>>38138726

Just this again
>>
>>38138661
Your traps become more involved the higher you bring the weight. This is why you will often not see people bringing their the weight higher than their shoulders

If you're new to a movement, it's always worth starting with light weight and get the feel for it properly. Good posture, thumbs above pinkies, don't cheat, always more than 8 rep sets

>>38138692
TDEE calculators are neve 100% accurate, nor is your own calorie counting. It's harder than people think. Taper down and see what happens
>>
I'm starting to squat heavy (100kg) and my knees are starting to hurt. It's been two days since last squatting and they're still sore.
As I understand it, I must be putting too much pressure on my knees through incorrect form.

Any suggestions for fixing this?
thanks
>>
>>38138725
other non-standard equipment is generally used for specific purposes. e.g. you wouldn't train sandbag squats, but you may want to train your ability to lift a sandbag to a height for a strongman competition.

dumbbells are quiet standard desu
>>
>>38138735
This is always a ridiculous question. There's even a meme based on this question that has been mostly lost.

Everybody has potential. Just lift faggot. Read the sticky too

>>38138758
Post form check
There is nothing anybody can intelligently tell you without seeing your technique first (other than explaining how to fucking squat properly, which is a waste of time if you cannot research that on your own)
FFS you didn't even describe the knee pain in any way
>inb4 shitty attempt to describe it
>>
>>38138758
>shoot video (for yourself or for us)
>read Starting Strength, the book, not the wiki
>get in-person coaching
>>
>>38138758
Where abouts do they hurt on your knee, and at what point during the movement
>>
>>38138735
Go get em tiger
>>
>>38138050
Eating test increases estrogen.

Sounds stupid, but your aromatase enzyme metabolize oral test into estrogen (or at least most of it)
>>
>>38138658
>probably using shoulders too much as the primary movers

Okay. But I feels it my back a little when I do it. Is that "ok/safe"?
>>
i have got the the cold and today i went to the gym and didnt feel up to it at all when working out. What's the gneral consensus on lifting while sick? Is it better to take a break until i am feeling well again?
>>
>>38138794
T-thanks
>>38138773
Will do
>>
>>38138802
What about eating a dick does it increase test
>>
>>38138820
Don't go to the gym while ill.
ever
>>
>>38138820
First and foremost, do not get other people sick
If you feel up to it, go for it. If not, eat and sleep will help you get better faster

Basically, listen to your body
>>
>>38138658
>a week is bordering on excessive however.
how many days would you suggest?

>>38138712
>>38138705
How do I measure this?

>>38138710
>Stats?
5'11" 178lbs 19.5% BF
>>
>>38138858
Since you said you've plateaued, just drop another 300 kcal or exercise more
>>
>>38138710
Okay, except that Im not a beginner, and I can deadlift 495. And no, fucking explain. Explain like Im a complete retard since thats how youre already treating me. And freq. is ABCXABC
>>
I started benching free weights but I go alone, should I ask people at the gym to spot between reps (they're friendly and its a small town) or use smith again?

I can fail reps on my squats and be fine but not the bench
>>
>>38138874
at that point I'm only eating 1200 calories a day...isn't that extremely low for a guy with my stats?
>>
>>38138773
>Post form check
I have taken videos but not willing to post face/edit, apologies
>>38138778
>>read Starting Strength, the book
I'll have a look at the book, cheers

>>38138779
>Where abouts do they hurt on your knee, and at what point during the movement
no noticeable pain during squatting, only after. It hurts at the tendons above and below the kneecap.
>>
So what do you guys do clothing wise?

I'm trying to bulk and slowly a lot of my t shirts are becoming a bit tight and it just looks like I'm wearing clothes too small for me despite only buying them recently and i'm planning to cut eventually

i'm barely affording to bulk nvm buy new clothes as well desu
>>
>>38138887
just increase your daily cardio then
>>
>>38138882
>should I ask people at the gym to spot between reps
Yeah, especially if it's anything close to a limit set. It's OK to give them specific instructions--"don't touch the bar unless it starts going down while I'm pushing up" or words to that effect--to avoid a bro-spot.
>>
>>38138809
most people inherently know the difference between bad pain and just the muscle working.

if your core is tight throughout the movement I wouldnt worry
>>
>>38138906
honestly I've been neglecting cardio. I might take a bit of advice from everyone who replied.

Take a break from my diet (that I've been on for 4 months now) for about a week, restart cardio, continue lifting.
>>
>>38138890
Draw a terrible paint thing for me
>>
>>38138941
You've learn things which is the most important part good j la
>>
>>38138039
>>38138876
>tricep isolation for 5 reps
>deadlifts the day after a leg day that includes hamstring isolation
>core exercise until failure the day before doing heavy deadlifts
>shrugs as a second exercise, before pullups and OHP
>another variation of shrugs
>CURLS
>consistently training everything til failure with very little rest days
>no back exercises at all except pullups
>that push:pull imbalance
>fucking bicep isolation for 5 reps
>calves for 5 reps, like what the fuck man the calves aren't even meant to work like that
I absolutely don't believe you can even deadlift 350 lbs, let alone 495 lbs

I'm not here to get into any argument. But your routine is plainly shit. Enjoy your anger and lies and ignoring other replies

>>38138882
Just ask people to spot you before starting your working sets. People are literally happy to help you. Even the gym employees will help if asked

>>38138890
If you have a proper form check video, it's from the side and your face is hardly in it.
Just post it on youtube and make it unlisted/private
Nobody has ever gotten fucked on /fit/ from doing this

Also, since nobody suggested this. Consider stretching
>>
File: hercules.jpg (26KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
hercules.jpg
26KB, 320x320px
I recently started working out at home with dumbbells and the weight of my body. Here's my routine

4 x max reps chin ups
4 x max reps dumbbell curl
4 x max reps push ups
4 x 8-12 dumbbell hammer grip curl
4 x 8-12 dumbbell over head press
2 x max plank

Can't do legs as of now because of a running related injury that I'm still recovering from. I've started doing this workout every day. Will it get me anywhere and is it ok to do each set once and move on to the next and then start over from the beginning or should I do the same sets in a row? If I do all sets of the same exercise at once I need to take longer breaks and that just seems like a waste of time. But then again what do I know, that's how everyone else seems to be doing it
>>
File: okay pepe.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
okay pepe.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>38138451

>>38138710

Alright, awesome. Thank you my dudes :^)
>>
>>38139065
whats your goal ?
>>
>>38139086
To get massive of course. I'm rocking the skeleton mode atm
>>
>>38139013
>>38139013
Im angry because you brushed my shit aside and assumed I was a beginner. If youre not going to give feedback in this kind of thread why both responding. Im also not lying or ignoring anyone. The reason Im asking for feedback is because I vaguely feel like I should switch routines.

Thank you for ACTUALLY pointing those things out.
>>
File: slugabed.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
slugabed.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>38139114
Bodyweight exercises and dumbell curls for time won't achieve this, quickly anyway.
Go to a gym, and if that's not possible, buy a barbell, 120kg of plates, and a bench and jump on a routine endorsed by the sticky (tm)
>>
I'm about to get a subscription for myself and my GF at a generic franchise gym. Gym should not have any problems in equipment.

Thing is, GF has been through a shitton of weird negative feedback through surroundings and is actually somewhat afraid of working out.

Low self esteem, thinks it's "giving in to the bullies."

She is willing to come, but I feel that it's a fragile time.

Any advice /fit/?

Just some workout advice for females is also appreciated!
>>
>>38139136
Thanks, thought as much. I'm planning on starting gym anyway once I recover from said leg injury
>>
>>38139143
In all honesty stay away from it, let her decide, just remember.
>Everything you do is wrong in a woman's eyes
>>
>>38137938
What are good assistance lifts to do on sl 5x5 if all Im too fat for chins and pulls and only have basic equipment (so no lat pulldowns)

Also are home row machines any good? That was really good cardio when I had a gym membership. Only thing I really miss from going to the gym
>>
>>38139013
>Also, since nobody suggested this. Consider stretching
I'll make sure to do some stretches next time, thanks.

I've been reading through starting strength book as advised and the first thing to flag up is improper depth. Attached is a picture of me at the lowest point of a working set.
If this is not low enough, how much should I deload by to correct my form?

>>38138945
>Draw a terrible paint thing for me
what of?
>>
File: 1467915860028.jpg (39KB, 357x384px) Image search: [Google]
1467915860028.jpg
39KB, 357x384px
http://www.strawpoll.me/10891640
w h i c h
o
n
e
>>
File: squat.png (588KB, 606x712px) Image search: [Google]
squat.png
588KB, 606x712px
>>38139167
forgot pic
>>
>>38139167
You forgot to attach the pic, but I'm going to go ahead and point out that not reaching proper depth in a squat puts unnecessary stresses on your knees without properly transferring them to the hips (that are more easily able to handle the stress)

Again, you're not going to get any good specific advice without posting the video, but I'll probably reply again on the pic
>>
>>38139184
Weight looks a tad forward and knees look like they are moving in, hard to tell.
>>38139167
And of the knee areas that are sore
>>
>>38138289
>>38138289
If you squat alot and actually have quads. RANGER PANTIES BAEBAY
>>
Now here's a stupid question: what preworkouts are good these days? I've stuck with caffeine pills and a little gatorade since I ran out of OG Jack3D, but I have a sudden hankering to sample crazy-making brightly-hued powders sold in shittily labeled containers.

>>38139163
>What are good assistance lifts to do on sl 5x5
Assisted chins with a band. Negatives (stand on a box to get to the top, lower yourself slowly.). Curls, DB/KB rows, dips if they don't bother your shoulders. Also, you should read Starting Strength instead of Mehdi's site, but eh.

>Also are home row machines any good?
Yep, very.
>>
>>38139184
Weight is shifting forward, heels look like they are coming up (weight is definitely not shifted back onto heels either way), hip crease is not low enough

Deload and start again. Sucks to hear, but it is what it is
If you are truly reading SS, it will fix you up

This is a classic example of someone who just ran into the gym and started squatting without doing any research and didn't go to depth because they were afraid of bending over and hurting their back or going too low and hurtign their knees (both of which are dumb thoughts)
>>
File: knee.png (186KB, 350x328px) Image search: [Google]
knee.png
186KB, 350x328px
>>38139214
>Weight looks a tad forward and knees look like they are moving in, hard to tell.
ok thanks, looks like you are right

coloured black where the pain is

>>38139249
>Weight is shifting forward, heels look like they are coming up (weight is definitely not shifted back onto heels either way), hip crease is not low enough

What's frustrating is I've asked the people I go gym with (they lift nearly double what I do) to check my form and they've approved it - clearly I wouldn't have knee problems if I were doing it right though.

I will deload as you suggest, hopefully it won't take too long to work my way back up. What do you suggest as a percentage of my 5RM?
>>
>>38139325
Looks like you have tight quads, do you foam roll them? A good way to test is to hold the area above your knee as tight as possible and squat, if it doesn't hurt as much, it's quad tightness
>>
>>38139325
Asking strangers in the gym often leads to bad advice. Literally hte only person I've ever engaged in meaningful dialogue about the lifts were other people who were also actually competitive powerlifters

Most people, even those beyond the average bro, will just look at if your back is rounding or not and give you the thumbs up/down based on that.

I would say to just start how SS recommends you do.
Start with the bar, get the technique right FIRST
Add weight, keep good technique.
Repeat until your bar speed slows, this is your starting weight.
You want to start building the right habits, not just jump right into challenging weights gain that cause you to start using bad technique again. It's a marathon, not a sprint
>>
>>38138832
This question deserves its own thread
>>
>>38138761
Shit i meant non conventional weights. My bad fampai
>>
When should I start buying supplements for my training?

Just starting but I don't get enough in my calorie intake even if I changed my diet.
>>
>>38139442
Generally avoid most of them.
I would however recommened a protein supplement so give that a go
>>
>>38139349
>Looks like you have tight quads, do you foam roll them?
I'm very inflexible so I suspect so, I'll add stretches and form rolling to my sessions

>>38139353
Yeah looks like they don't really know how to judge form, they must have been lucky to avoid injury for so long.

I'll have another read though of SS before I go tomorrow and do as you say.

Thanks to both of you. Looks like you've saved me from causing myself a serious injury in the future
>>
>>38139469
Well one of those 'what would you tell yourself 3 years ago' things,
Stretch, and really stretch, get some good videos and really focus on shoulders and hips, it'll improve your form, make lifts easier and help you identify problem areas.
>>
>>38139469
Good for you for recognizing this though m8
Just in case you skipped over/haven't gotten to it, SS literally goes over the issue of knee pain from cheating depth that you're having
>>
Should creatine be used while cutting?

Also, am I understanding this right: high weight low reps for strength, lower weight more reps for hypertrophy, so the "goal" is to bulk & reach a strength I'm happy with then start cutting and doing high rep exercises?
>>
>>38139523
Yeah you're all right there but focus on one thing at a time, and you can use creatine while cutting although you might retain more water
>>
>>38139523
Strength and hypertrophy overlap, a lot.
You will not build much muscle whilst cutting, see laws of conservation/thermodynamics
>>
>>38139555
>>38139560
Thanks! Also nice trips
>>
>>38139442

Thankyou for your input, is there any good protein you'd recommend? I see sometimes people here saying some of them aren't that good
>>
I try to weigh myself in the morning before I do anything else but sometimes when I weigh myself randomly during parts of the day the scales goes up as much as 6 lbs of gaining when I cut down to 1500 cal/day. Which weight should I go by?
>>
>>38139601
Keep it consistent
In the morning when waking up. I take a shit in the morning and then weigh in every day
>>
>>38139601
Morning on an empty stomach
>>
>>38139595
Find the cheapest member of the set of whey proteins such that 1) all members of the set are tolerable in taste and 2) you can be confident they're honestly labeled. In the US, that's usually Truenutriion or Myprotein, sometimes Dymatize if there's a sale.
>>
Alright, my lower/mid back and my Glute on my left side are all larger than my right side. Especially with the lower/mid back.
Should I stop squatting, hip thrusting and deadlifting until I can get help from a doctor, and just work on my upper body/core for now?
Currently running a GSLP program.
>>
>>38139755
I think it might be scoliosis, but it doesn't seem visable.
>>
Would it make sense to take naps after every meal to improve protein synthesis?

I'm not planning on doing it but it sounds like it'd work.
>>
Besides quads and hamstrings, what should I stretch to improve my squat?
>>
Due to an injury I cant really lift at all right now, probably for at least a week or two.
What should my caloric intake be like? I want to maintain my low bodyfat but I'm also scared of losing gains
>>
Will lifting increase penis size?

>Pls respond
>>
>>38140046
No.
>>
I've been eating 1200 calories a day for the last five months or so (aside from a two-week break which forms the plateau in early June).
I haven't seen a significant movement in my weight in over two weeks.
Could my BMR have descended that low? Am I just retaining water hardcore?
>>
>>38139899
I don't know that that's the mechanism, but it wouldn't hurt.

>>38140005
Just keep it where it's at. If the injury is bad enough that you literally can't do anything, it's bad enough that you need the calories to heal.
>>
>>38139560
>>38139579
See:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7CnPJcK6U
>>
>>38137938
Is this too much for a foam roller?
http://www.powergears.eu/en/product/foam-roller/

I'm desperately in need of chalk and foam roller and this is the only place it seems that it has both and can use paypal
I found roguefitness too but it doesnt accept paypal
>>
>>38139917
Hip flexors, thoracic spine, ankle dorsiflexion
>>
>>38137938
So I'm starting out but I'm really fucking weak, too weak for SS. What should I do?
>>
>>38140235
You cant be too weak for ss
That makes no sense.
Your 5rm is your 5rm no matter how weak
>>
>>38140246
No like I literally cannot lift the bar for one rep
>>
>>38140268
you can't lift a 20kg bar?

m8, my girlfriend which doesnt even reach 50kg can deadlift almost 1pl8 easily(dont have more plates in my home and she doesnt go to the gym)
>>
>>38140306
I literally can barely lift the EZ bar for a rep or two.
>>
>>38140235
Use dumbbells
>>
>>38140246
I suppose one can be too weak if he can't lift the bar....
>>
>>38140321
How the fuck are you alive? Seriously go to a fucking doctor man
>>
I'm on SS and some days like today my lifts are just shit. Like I'm squatting 185, and I completed 3x5 of 180, and last time I did 3,3,3 but today I can only do like 1, and I doubt I could do 3x3 of 175. What should I do on days like this, because my legs don't get a workout?
>>
>>38140214
Buy 4" pvc pipe and apply grip tape to the exterior.

>>38140321
That's pretty odd. What do you mean by "lift"? Have you read Starting Strength? The book, not an infographic? We'll start someone who genuinely can't lift the bar with a broomstick, but this usually means people who are very old, like great-grandkids old, and very small.
>>
>>38140224
Recommend any stretches?
>>
>>38140076
You sure? Cause I read somewhere that if you get a light weight dumbbell, rest it on you're dick, and kinda squeeze that muscle that stops your pee mid flow and makes your dick jump a bit, it strengthens your penis muscles and it gets bigger. Asking for a friend tho lol haha
>>
>>38140321
>>38140321
kek, that's like 8-10kg

can you post a body pic? have you ever done sports in your life? what's your height and weight? im not sure if youre really trolling or not

Here's the plan man, try to use the ez curl or the shorter straight barbells which also weight the same and use them for your lifts, do 5 reps with good form then add those little 1.25kg plates, one each side and repeat again 3 sets of 5 reps, keep trying to add those weights every workout.
proceed until you can lift a 20kg bar and then do the same with those small plates

don't forget to BULK, eat at like 200-300 calorie surplus
>>
>>38140347
Deadlifts. Will I get laughed at for lifting a broom?
>>
What scale should I buy? Preferably online, price limit is $100
>>
>>38140343
That's not really how it works. For the umpteenth time in this goddamn thread, you should really read the book.

Failing that, the issue is not that "your legs don't get a workout." The issue is that you couldn't complete your sets. So why couldn't you complete your sets? Did you miss a few nights' sleep? Were you stressed or lacking focus? Did you eat nothing for two days? Skip your warmup? Hurt yourself? Sleep funny and piss off your back? Severely hungover? Etc. etc. etc. The solution is not to do something else, the solution is to fix whatever the problem is and do it right in the first place. See?
>>
>>38140374
You can do dumbbell deadlifts. They aren't good, but if you can't deadlift the EZ bar I think GOMAD would probably be more effective than lifting for now.
>>
>>38140374
Maybe, but you've got to start where you are if you want to get stronger, so you may as well make up your mind to deal with it. Again, though, this sounds like a psychological issue, unless you are:
>very old
>very tiny
>female
>pick at least two.

Do you ever buy groceries? Can you carry a full bag in each hand?
>>
File: 1431411614431.jpg (137KB, 591x948px) Image search: [Google]
1431411614431.jpg
137KB, 591x948px
>>38140374

holy shit I can't stop picturing some dude at the gym lifting a broom
someone screencap this shit

man, please just eat big and lift and you'll get strong
>>
>>38137938
Fattys first day at the gym just ended. Everything hurts and I nearly threw up. Any motivation for me or general tips? Also, when I train legs on Wednesday how do I make sure that I can still walk and get home? That seems like a serious issue to me.
>>
How can I achieve dat dere 3D roided shoulder look without using drugs?

Is the secret in hitting all heads or is it just a meme like chest and different angles?
Outside direct shoulder work like Heavy OHP and Lateral Raises what should I be doing?
>>
>>38140403
>2016
>not lifting a 1 head
>>
>>38140402
I can carry one bag, but it needs both hands. I once tried to carry a bag full of water bottles in my weak arm and nearly dislocated it though. Will I actually get laughed at if I am seen struggling to bench a broom?
>>
File: wew.png (37KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
37KB, 300x250px
>>38140403
is this a meme now?
>>
>>38140472
>in my weak arm
which one, anon?
>>
>>38140472
What is your weight, height, gender, and age?
>>
I'm confused, are static stretches or wtv its called bad for mobility?
I'm seriously confused, I'm trying to get some elasticity and shit, my gf is helping me since she can stretch more at gym class than any girl that dances or had gymnastics and she's put me doing some static stretches, like for hammies she put me trying to reach one foot with both my hands(I actually need her pulling my arm until I can't stretch no more because im so tight)

It seems I gain mobility quick but that I lose it all the next day or even hours
>>
File: 91b73823690362c2.jpg (18KB, 423x308px) Image search: [Google]
91b73823690362c2.jpg
18KB, 423x308px
>>38140472
is this you? If so just buy inflatable muscle arms.
>>
>>38140472
How do you know you "nearly dislocated it"? Did you get a diagnosis?

>Will I actually get laughed at if I am seen struggling to bench a broom?
Maybe. Not at my gym, but odds are you don't go to my gym. like I said, if you've made up your mind to get stronger, this is not something to worry about.
>There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When encountering a sudden shower, we may try to avoid getting wet. But, while doing things such as moving from place to place or passing under the eaves of houses, we still get wet. If you are resolved from the beginning, though you get the same soaking, you will not be perplexed.
>>
>>38140517
Male, 6', don't know my weight but im skinny, 20
>>
>>38140493
What if you're that guy and just trying to create a meme?
I can't possibly imagine someone not being able to lift a 20kg bar, you'd have to be malnourished or been in a come for years.

You can even see old ladies deadlifting 2pl8 at 70 years old
>>
>>38140527
Well I heard a weird noise and I was in a shit ton of pain, went to my doctor because I was having difficulty moving it, and then got some scans and shit done. Turns out I sprained something and nearly dislocated it, apparently.
>>
>>38140529
no fucking way can you not lift a bar. Jesus christ man. That's insanity. I dont know, you know what, do you have any like sacks of rice or something at home, just pick those up and walk around. or take a couple shopping bags and fill them with canned food or whatever and deadliftt those. Do this for like a half hour, go as hard as you can and then take a break for 2 minutes, and then go again. Practice squatting down and coming up, even if you need to hold on to something. do a bunch of pushups even with your knees on the ground.

Spend half an hour a day doing this kind of strength training at home for like 2 weeks. Then go to the gym and you should be able to lift the bar and start SL or SS
>>
>>38140559
Thanks for the help man. I'll try that.
>>
>>38140545
Yeah, that would be a diagnosis. Well, you've got some work to do.
>>
When do you know when you should compete?
>>
please someone screencap this thread. mr. noodle arms had me creasing
>>
I used to have thick, powerful, and white cumshots. Now they are extremely watery, clear, and weak.
Where did I fuck up fit? Is it the summer time?? Can it be cancer? Low test?

I work in a hot and humid warehouse and I'm pretty much covered in sweat all day. Also, I'm a painter at my job and for the first 6 months my respirator was not properly sealing because my employer fucking sucks at handling safety. Now I got a better fitting mask that actually seals and doesn't let anything in, but I'm scared that it fucked me up. Sterility is a danger listed on the paint we use..

Please tell me I'm going to be alright, /fit/ ;-;
>>
>>38140591
When you want to and have the time, the money for the entry fee, the mandatory equipment, and an event within whatever your idea of reasonable traveling distance is.
>>
>>38140564
Also just to clarify, I meant half an hour total - lift as much shit as you can until you cant go any further, take a break for 2 minutes, and then do it again, for a total of half an hour. Not like, half an hour of lifting then 2 minutes rest lol

Good luck. Just focus on the three basic movement patterns - Squatting by extending legs, Deadlifting by bending at hips, and Pressing with chest shoulders and arms. Try and incorporate all 3, just lift whatever you have lying around.
>>
>>38140625
talk to a doctor
>>
When I do squats, my knees are supposed to stay behind my toes right? Cause when my friend does it, his knees go fairly over his toes, which I was told was bad (from my old physio doc).
>>
Is this dude natty or what?
ig.com/jreeep/
>>
>>38140709
no, they are absolutely supposed to go over the toes, unless you're doing low bar
>>
>5'9, 145
>4 weeks lifting

Does running really ruin gains or is that a meme? I'm considering adding running to my warmup before lifting but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, how long should I run for?

My usual warmup is an ab routine of Russian twists, hanging leg raises, and a 90 second plank.
>>
Are weighted vests a meme? Want to improve my agility/ speed for football and am think of buying one for cardio/ sprint training
>>
File: Cnti9b5WAAAqHTG.jpg (111KB, 690x991px) Image search: [Google]
Cnti9b5WAAAqHTG.jpg
111KB, 690x991px
>>38137938
What are the essential post workout stretches to perform?
>>
can you acheve the Zyzz physique naturally? he doesn't look that big, just lean with good chest (talking about that famous picture where hes just looking at the camera with a serious face)
>>
Just started lifting, only been at it for like 3 weeks so far.

Doing phrak's gslp, and I can't do regular, unassisted chinups yet. I've been doing assisted chinups for the time being, but also know it's good to do negatives, so I do a few sets of assisted, then end on as many negatives as I can do. Is this bullshit and should I instead just be doing negatives? How do I do warmup sets for that, since with assisted I just, y'know, do EZ assist weight (for me). Do I just fucking go for it?
>>
>>38140935
>Does running really ruin gains or is that a meme?
It won't help. High risk of injury, low expected return unless you REALLY like running or play a sport that requires it. Conditioning is fine though.

>I'm considering adding running to my warmup
http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com/warm/

>>38140951
Gonna be hell on the knees and ankles. If I had one, i'd probably just walk with it.
>>
If I can't afford a gym is doing just regular body exercises: Burpees, Pushups, situps, planks, punches, squats, running etc... enough to actually build muscle mass? If so how intense should I go at it? Another thing how would one go about actually counting how many calories you get per day? Do you like know how many calories a single meal is giving you to the digit and then stop eating when you reach your set limit for the day?
>>
What's a good bodyweight routine that you can do without a gym? For girls if it makes any difference
>>
File: 1462147001750.jpg (361KB, 590x714px) Image search: [Google]
1462147001750.jpg
361KB, 590x714px
Im stalling on 155 pound bench press should i change my routine or just bench more frequently?
im 5'6 158lb manlet btw.
>>
>>38141084
>>38141111
It's better than nothing but won't take you very far, so the differences between programs are pretty trivial in the long run.
>>
whole milk or 2%?
>>
File: image.png (106KB, 2000x1516px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
106KB, 2000x1516px
What's the best thing to get at McDonalds while on a cut? Preferably something filling.
>>
>>38141218
I mean the least shitty thing is probably just a plain hamburger

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/305580036

Southwest salad maybe?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/346841457

As for filling but also on a cut, godspeed I have no clue
>>
How many times a month should I see a trainer? I'm going to start working out with a buddy at the end of the month.
>>
if you are new to lifting, maybe 1-2 times at start just to make sure you are doing proper form.
>>
>>38141111

i would at least go and get a set of adjustable dumbbells. They are probably like $20-30
>>
>>38141218
id probably get a grilled chicken sandwich with no sauce. not especially tasty, but that's not what you should be worried about if you're serious about cutting
>>
>>38137938
I have a GI bleed. I'm pooping a lot of mucus and a little bit of blood. The doctor is going to test my stool sample, but that is going to take a while to get results back and I don't want to wait until then to start doing something.

Should I put myself on a stool softener and eat more fiber? I feel like that's what the doc is going to tell me to do anyway.
>>
>>38140179

Are you consistently weighing yourself at the same time? always go do it in the morning before eating/drinking anything and after you go to the bathroom. it is the best way to get a consistent reading.

Try eating at maintenance for like a week and first day have maybe a 500 surplus. Try to get that metabolism running again and then go back to your diet.
>>
File: image.png (50KB, 344x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
50KB, 344x499px
So yesterday I weighed at 180, feeling good. But today I weighed 190. I'm on a cut and I know weight fluctuates, but 10 pounds seems a lot. Is my scale busted?
>>
File: 20160727_085633.jpg (69KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_085633.jpg
69KB, 768x1024px
>>38137938
Anything I can do about this? Bars at my gym are destroying my hands. My handshake feels like sandpaper. Is it time for gloves?
>>
Could God create a dumbbell so heavy that even he couldn't lift with it?
>>
>>38141437
ehh. maybe. could be a bunch of things, water weight, food/shit inside you, etc etc

weigh yourself in the morning as soon as you get up, keep the time constant
>>
>>38141484
no

it means you are a man now

embrace the calluses
>>
>>38141484
Try picking off the dead skin parts of the calluses (make sure not to take off any non-dead skin) and then just waiting for it to heal over. My hands looked like that when I first started but now they are just a little rougher in those spots.
>>
>>38141437

Don't get too frustrated. You'll probably be back down tomorrow.
>>
>>38141484
pumice

if you don't sand down your calluses every so often they'll tear off when you do heavy deadlifts and bleed like a fucker
>>
>>38141218
chicken grilled wraps, highest protein low cal
>>
>>38141058
anyone?
>>
what movie should I watch tonight faggots? I watched Taxi Driver last time as suggested by you dudes
>>
>>38137938
Quick question, what kind of cardiovascular gains do you get from high rep bodyweight stuff? It obviously won't be as good as distance running or whatever, but I want to use it to avoid fucking up my leg day. Also, is it a reasonable way to blow more calories?
>>
File: shitttttt.jpg (16KB, 309x247px) Image search: [Google]
shitttttt.jpg
16KB, 309x247px
>>38141715
I do tear it off and take the clippers to trim it up but it keeps coming back I have dry hands though.

>>38141724
I'll have to try this, thanks
>>
Do i have to do anything differently if I'm kinda tall (6'4)? Doing SL5x5

I realize this is a vague and possibly stupid question
>>
>>38141780
Not sure what "phraks' gslp." is, I hope it's not too relevant to the question.

> I do a few sets of assisted, then end on as many negatives as I can do. Is this bullshit and should I instead just be doing negatives?

If anything, I'm pretty sure you should just be doing the assisted pullups. It works like any other sort of resistance training, where the most reasonable way to get stronger at something is to do the same movement. If there's some sort of glaring problem (i.e. can't maintain grip on a deadlift), then do accessory movement. Otherwise, the best thing you can do is the movement itself, and keep progressing at it.

In terms of the warm-up, I've only ever done warmups for whatever compound lift I'm doing, and it's consisted of nothing more than lighter weights of that compound movement. If anything, I would just suggest lower weight reps in the same way.
>>
what's the good word on deadlifts with the hex bar?
>>
>>38141912
No, I don't see why. Your lifts will just progress differently from people of different body types. Squats are easier for people with shorter legs, for example.
>>
My core is weak as fuck. Should I start sumo DL's and then do conventional when I get to a decent lifting weight?
>>
Can conditioning replace regular cardio?
I've been doing prowler pushes and battle ropes but I don't know if my endurance is getting better or not. Does anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>>38141924
Thanks anon you my nigga
>>
File: image.jpg (664KB, 2345x3127px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
664KB, 2345x3127px
I know SL5x5 is a strength program, but will it help with fat loss if I eat at a caloric deficit?
>>
>>38141919
Garbage unless you have a back problem.
Won't engage your lower back muscles and hamstrings as much as a barbell. Keep the hex bar for shrugs.
>>
>>38141965
For your body I suspect the lifts will stretch your skin in new ways. Might be better to diet down 20 lbs then reassess.
>>
>>38141303
Hopefully you have a friend that can teach you the lifts instead, trainers are expensive as fuck, and for the purposes of most people, I think trainers go into way too much. Obviously more information and coaching is better, but I don't think the training you're given is worth the ~$40 an hour.

If you're not sure how to get to your goals, use the internet to learn about how to organize your training or grab a simple routine from a respected author. You likely won't ever get a systematic approach to your training from a personal trainer, and all of the stuff you need to know is online anyway. Once you get far enough into training, you might consider buying a book for your own goals.

PTs are usually best for making sure that you're doing your training correctly. For compound lifts, form is very important. For simpler movements, it's not as difficult to catch on to how to do them. For machines, you have to be retarded to struggle with form. To learn the compound lifts, hopefully you can get/make a friend in the gym, and most people who have been training for any decent amount of time will know how to teach you. Most people will be glad to teach you, too.
>>
If I'm an overweight faggot, do I need to worry about progressing on programs? Since I'm not building muscle I naturally hit plateau at like only 185 for squat and 200 for DL.

Do I need to switch routines or just maintain until I hit my goal weight?
>>
>>38141919
>>38141972
Seconding this, they don't call it a trap bar for nothing. Also, I like to use them for farmer's walks.
>>
Does going to the gym too much ruin gains?
>>
>>38142007
How experienced are you? The longer you've been training and the closer you get to your physical potential, the slower your progress will be. Similarly, the less you eat, the slower your progress will be. If you're losing weight, you're not automagically immune to progressing on lifts, but it will be harder. What most people should be doing is trying to maximize their lifting capabilities. For different people, it might mean that you're going up in numbers as much as possible, or you're going down in numbers as much as possible.

Also, people tend to forget that you have to measure the weight you lift relative to your body weight. If a dude has pulled 300 pounds at 200 pounds but he's now pulling 275 pounds at 150 pounds, he has, in fact, gotten stronger.
>>
>>38142020
Depends on routine, but overtraining can be detrimental unless you're on roids
>>
>>38142020
Yes, overtraining is a thing. If it's bad enough, it will probably be obvious at a certain point. I don't know how to really self-diagnose, though, hopefully somebody else can elaborate on that.
>>
File: image.jpg (528KB, 2446x2613px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
528KB, 2446x2613px
>>38141990
That pic is old, I'm sitting at 5'10" 185 right now.
>>
>>38142057
still on beginner lifts. Was lifting for about 3 months until June and got struck by a shitty job which drained me of time and energy to go to the gym. Since then i quit and am back on track.
>>
>>38138039
>a lot of them are near failure
A friend of mine did this routine (or some similar shit) and refused to listen to me when I told him it wasn't going to work. He ended up with really high cortisol levels and his testosterone plummeted.

Train squat, bench, deadlift for 3 main days in a week. Don't go close to failure because there's no point. Train your accessories on other days.
>>
>>38139133
With a routine like that senpai you are a beginner lmao
>>
>>38142094
If it's been three months, then you're probably still in a decent position to go up in numbers on a cut. If you're not, though, don't get discouraged. There's not much you can do about it, anyway, and changing your routine won't help that much because the best way to get stronger at a movement is to perform that movement. Depending on how high your bodyfat is, you also might be gaining muscle on a cut.
>>
File: image.jpg (257KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257KB, 1280x960px
are these pants too tight?
>>
>>38141915
I haven't been able to come across anything definitive enough to convince me, but I did come across the idea that assisted took something away from what would be necessary to eventually work up to completing non-assisted--core or something? not sure. It sounds ridiculous now of course; I likely overthought it.

I suppose I just wasn't sure if assisted chinups were less efficient in terms of building up to non-assisted compared to negatives.

Tbh, still don't know; I've read someone's answer to a similar question and they, from experience, had much success with doing sets of negatives only.

In the end at this point, I'm 90% sure I'm just overthinking it and it likely doesn't matter as much as I think it does. So I'll do assisted for now as long as I progress.

Thanks
>>
I'm trying to bulk from 125 pounds I'm kind of a skelly. Today was my first day I'm doing SS. I hit 3352 calories which according to the sticky I needed around 3000 and 219.1g of protein which is over the 1g per pound rule and I got 137.3g of fat and 291.5g of carbs. I don't know how to tell how many carbs and fats I should limit myself to in a day so how did I do?
>>
Im running SS and using sumo deadlift. It feels much better for me as a long legged 6'7 lanklet.
Anyway I don't think sumo hits the back as hard as conventional, is there something I can add to help my back strength.
This is important to me because I have bad posture and want to improve it.

I was thinking SLDL or RDL or Goodmornings for isometric strengthening. Does this seem about right or would I be better off with rows or something?
>>
>>38142536
That is all wrong. You don't want to be bulking more than 500 calories unless you want to get fat. Since you're a skele that actually leaves you at an advantage.

What's your height? I really doubt you need 3000 calories and 220g of protein is massive overkill for pro-bodybuilders, much less you.
>>
>>38137938
Adding curls to my A workout and triceps extensions to B

5X5 or 5X8
>>
>>38142582
I'm exactly 6'0" and weigh 125. 500 in a whole day??? Jesus that's less than what I had just for breakfast this morning. But yeah the protein intake was insane I admit that
>>
File: Capture.png (108KB, 798x796px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
108KB, 798x796px
>>38142631
I meant a 500 calorie surplus ya dingus.

according to your TDEE estimate your maintenance is around 1920 calories a day. No idea how many calories you burn lifting so you'll need to manually adjust it.

Here's what I recommend: Eat 2500 cal/day for 2 weeks. Aim for 1g protein/lb (120 in your case) and fill the rest up with carbs and healthy fats.

You want to be gaining about half-a-pound per week. If you haven't gained that by the end of two weeks, increase your intake by 200 calories. Rinse and repeat.
>>
I just hit triple digit ohp, what should I jerk off to?
>>
>>38142687
yourself you sexy cunt
>>
>>38142694
Thanks m8. I'm stoked.
>>
>>38142684
Oh wow thanks anon. Sorry for being a newfag
>>
>>38142710
That's what the thread's here for. Keep at it and you can make it.
>>
How long does it usually take for the strength in both your arms to equalize?
>>
How much cardio is "gains-killing"?
>>
what % of your calories should come from fat. And at what point is too low to where your test drops
>>
>>38142684

What site did you use for this?
>>
>>38142855
tdeecalculator.net
>>
Last night I did acid (for the first time since I started lifting) and holy shit flexing my muscles felt fucking orgasmic. Especially quads, hams, and glutes. Really wanted to squat and deadlift but couldn't get to the gym and I'd probably make a fool of myself. Really want a home gym even more now

Not a question, but it doesn't deserve its own thread lol
>>
Can I take in whey even when I'm cutting?

I dont have a reliable protein source; I'm plateuing on my lifts already.
>>
>>38143104
As long as it fits your macros.

Whey isn't some magic pill that'll increase your lifts. Plateauing while cutting is gonna happen. If you lose weight but keep the lifts the same consider it a victory; that means you have equal muscle mass as before but less fat.
>>
>>38143126
I know, but it seems my muscles are getting weaker. I think it's due to lack of protein source. I just feared it will make me gain weight.

Thanks.
>>
>>38143187
Count your macros... You need like .8 g of protein per lb of body weight, some amount of fat I don't remember google it and the rest is carbs. Whey shakes are an excellent source of protein and pretty low cal usually.

Chicken breast is better tho
>>
>>38142575
bump, anyone have advice?
>>
>>38142575
>>38143233
Personally I love RDLs but stay away from good mornings, because I need to strengthen glutes and hams but my lower back is stronger compared to those, and it causes me to have some anterior pelvic tilt. but if you want to strengthen your lower back, good mornings are the way to go.

For upper back, rows, pullups, chin-ups, pulldowns are all good, do what works for you
>>
>>38143274
so RDL/goodmornings are both not that good for upper back?
>>
>>38143274

Fundamentally, an RDL and a non-stifflegged good morning are going to be almost identical movements. Likewise with SLDLs and stiff good mornings.
>>
>>38143104
Whey isn't shit but a quick and easy way to add ~120 calories and ~24 grams of protein to any thing you're eating/drinking like a shake, or a bowl of oatmeal. It's a supplement in the way that you are SUPPLEMENTING your diet, but not in the same way as creatine, bcaas (don't waste your money), or pre-workouts.

I recommend starting to look at whey powder as a food that should be measured and accounted for, rather than babby's first steroid.
>>
>>38143291
Well I think you're a bit confused about the different muscle groups. The back can be broadly categorized into upper back and lower back. Upper back is lats, lower traps, rhomboids etc.. The overall function of these is rotating your shoulder down (think of a pull-up), and rotating the shoulder back (think of a row).

The lower back is pretty different; the main muscle is the erector spinae, what it does is straighten the back. Stand up, hinge your upper back down and back up- that's lower back. Does a lot of isometric work in many exercises, holding your back straight.

The lower back is part of the posterior chain, along with your glutes and hamstrings. Those two work to straighten at the hip joint. Keep your back totally straight, hinge down at the hips and try and feel a stretch in the hamstrings (this is basically a Romanian deadlift). For glutes, imagine you're in jail and taking a shower, and telling Tyrone you're not open for business. Notice what squeezing the glutes does.

All three parts of the posterior chain are used in any deadlift. Depending on your form, proportions, and type of deadlift you might use the three in different proportions. Sumo involves less spinal erector(lower back) and more glutes for example.

Romanian deadlifts isolate the hamstrings and also some glutes, with less on the spinal erectors, bridges and hip thrusts isolate the glutes, and good mornings isolate the spinal erectors.
Personally I try to train more glutes and hams and less spinal erectors, because I have unproportionately strong spinal erectors (and tight hip flexors but that's different) from years of sitting, which causes a postural issue called anterior pelvic tilt, thus I deadlift sumo, do Romanians, and don't do good mornings. If you feel your lower back / spinal erectors are too weak, feel free to good morning all day.
>>
>>38143303
I think good mornings use more lower back isometrically- I mean in a good morning, the weight is over your upper back, while in a Romanian, the weight is near your legs. As the fulcrum is at the hips, having the weight far away from the fulcrum (good morning) requires a lot more work by the lower back to keep the back straight. Having the weight right near the fulcrum (Romanian), the lower back is not taxed as much to keep things straight.

You are right, in that the movements are fundamentally the same, but the position of the load puts more isometric work on the spinal erectors in the goodmorning
>>
>>38143395

They don't really. The effective lever length on the two movements is the same - only difference is that on an RDL the bar is hanging below the scapula rather than sitting above them as in a good morning.
>>
Whats the gym etiquette on showers?
Is shampoo okay? Do i go full naked while there are people? Do I bring flip flops?
>>
>>38143422
On RDL the bar shouldn't be below the scapula dude what. It should be right up touching the legs..
>>
>>38143371
Awesome, thanks for the breakdown
>>
>>38143496

If you're doing an RDL properly (hinging and using the bare minimum of leg bend needed to keep neutral position), its going to get forward of your legs. And its going to be more or less below your scapula because that's where your arms are when they're hanging straight down.
>>
>>38143371
I shouldn't say "good mornings isolate the spinal erectors", this >>38143303 anon has a point. However they do focus it a lot.
>>
>>38143515
Then we're talking about different exercises. If the bar hangs far in front of the legs, I wasn't talking about that, for that then yes I agree with you, for that exercise its more similar to the good morning.

The way I learned and do RDL's is, keep back completely straight, lower weight down legs, touching legs, focus on hamstring stretch, bend knees a little, go down as far as hamstring stretch allows (ideally all the way down to mid shin but I started with as little as only down to just under knees), completely straight back, only hamstring stretch, reverse motion back up and activate glutes at top. This is what Alan thrall's video describes.

So I think that clears up the confusion.
>>
>>38143536

Interesting. Maybe its just a small sample size and weird proportions, but most people I've seen using those cues end up with the bar getting forward of the legs because the knee bend isn't quite enough to compensate for the forward lean. It's not super far but definitely out of contact.
>>
>>38143566
I do bend my knees a fair bit, and keep the bar over mid foot, against the legs (like a real deadlift). I mean for me it's basically like an idealized backwards deadlift, without the starting leg drive
>>
What does your body do with excess protein?

Like your body stores carbs as energy an fat but what about excess protein?
>>
>>38143588

Stored as fat.

But its a fairly energy inefficient process so you don't get as much stored as you would with excess carbs or fat.
>>
how does lifts translate into arm wrestling? like, if you bench more than someone, are you guaranteed to win against said person?
this is really important
>>
>>38143617
https://youtu.be/AAmCxXDkcdI

its a lot of technique. Also you could do worse than to research the muscles used in arm wrestling, and work on lifts for those muscles. I doubt increasing your squat for example will help you arm wrestle lol. Idk about bench
>>
>>38138932
okay. But the day after I feel some soreness in my lower back.
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 115x115px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 115x115px
Anyone here go to planet fitness? Trying to cut but I want to make sure I build some muscle in my arms to avoid loose skin and muscle loss. What machines do you guys recommend?
>>
>>38143665
read sticky, do bench pres, squats, pull ups, deadlifts, ohp
>>
I'm on a cutting diet, are canned sardines ok to eat?
>>
>>38143665
I recommend going to a real gym. Planet fitness should be renamed Bullshit Fitness, the non judgmental most judgmental place on the universe. Fuck that thing some dare to call "gym"
>>
>>38143681
No you will die

Read the sticky moron, do you not understand calories in and out?
>>
I'm meant to eat 5k kilojoules (1200 calories). Today I ate 10k kilojoules (2300 calories). I don't know what happened and feel terrible. What should I do for the rest of the week.
>>
Did squats @ 250lbs yesterday, everything felt fine, form seemed to be on point, but today, I'm having pain in my hips, what could have caused it?
>>
I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for a while now and I feel like something is seriously wrong with my bench.

I started everything from just the bar, and squats were a happy story of making progress every week, now I can squat 100kg (lmao2pl8) parallel 5x5, it's been smooth steady upward progress.

My bench, though...I still can't even do 1plate (60kg). I tried to do 15kg each side (50kg w/bar) 5x5 today and I actually failed on my last set.

I'm 187cm 80kg, I don't understand how my bench can be so low, those are not normal squat/bench relative lifts, are they? Are there any accessory exercises I can do to help? Push-ups? I really want to at least be able to do 1 plate 5x5, feels so pathetic not being able to do that still and making no progress.
>>
>>38143705

Eat 1200 calories for the rest of the week like your supposed to.
>>
So I'm doing SS but don't have acces to a squat rack ( got some cheap equipment in a tiny room, poorfag ).

Should I just front squat in place of back squat?
>>
So I've been lifting for like 2 and half years with no real plan and skipped legs all the time and now I've end up with a much larger upper body than lower body and sometime I can feel my knees and joint pain sometimes

How can I reverse this effect? Do SS?
>>
>>38143828
They work different muscle groups, so no, get some cheap ass squat rack for like a 100$, even the crappiest ones will last you a while.
>>
>>38141122
bump
>>
>>38143828
Front squat will give you better quad and ab development. Just alternate deadlift and squat to make up for training hamstrings and spinal erectors less. The point of squatting every day is that the lowbar squat drives deadlift progress really well so if you switch to front squat just deadlift more.
>>
>>38143716
Poor form, lack of mobility, weird doms, could be a few things
>>38141122
Eat more/increase bench volume
>>38143855
Yeah SS will help change the disparity, stretch and foam roll your legs to help with pain.
>>
are stomach vacuums a meme exercise or do they actually do something
>>
File: jSsUj.gif (486KB, 490x276px) Image search: [Google]
jSsUj.gif
486KB, 490x276px
>>38144183
they're a great way to keep your pupper in shape
>>
>>38143897
Alright thanks man
>>
Is it okay to do cardio on a rest day if I haven't worked out legs this week?
>>
I'm doing the Starting Strength regime in the sticky, and have gotten pretty decent results so far. But some guy at the gym has come up to me every time for the past 3 weeks and told me to change my routine. He said I should:
Replace chin-ups with the lat pulldown machine
Do some sort of pyramid workout on the bench press instead of the 3x5.
Do some bench press looking thing on with dumbbells instead.

Should I follow this dudes advice?
>>
>>38144222
Yeah, don't knacker yourself, rest days are to recover for the next workout
>>38144259
Ignore that guy he sounds like hes trying to groom you into doing 3x5 cockrubs
>>
I'm struggling to improve my bench and have been stuck at 4-5 reps for the same weight for 2 or 3 workouts now. My dad came into the place where I lift and said that the weights are too much because I failed a rep and caught the dumbbell with my free hand (1 arm db bench is the easiest way for me to train under my circumstances)
Should I deload or simply rest more and work on doing more reps the second set, with the aim of doing 3x8?
>>
should I train bench with pauses at the bottom like they do at the competitions?
>>
LOOKING TO BUY GOOD DIDDLYLIFTING BELT
>has the quick lock mechanism
>has to be thick. solid. tight.
>shipping to EU, Finland to be exact.
>>
>>38144276
Deloading might work, although general plateau procedure is eat more and/or increase volume.
>>38144294
If you want to train for more strength, pause benches are pretty good although not necessary
>>38144301
Just look on amazon or something senpai, doesn't have to be perfect.
>>
>>38144294
Watch canditos video about spoto press
>>
>>38144294

I find it helps to train it from time to time as an assistance to my touch-and-go bench, but it isn't really necessary unless you're planning on competing.

A fairly common compromise that powerlifters use is just to pause the first rep or two on all their sets.
>>
>>38141930
Pls repsond
>>
>>38144479

No. You should deadlift normally and do accessory work as necessary to bring up your weak points. Ignoring a problem very rarely fixes it.
>>
File: cutting.png (902KB, 1666x372px) Image search: [Google]
cutting.png
902KB, 1666x372px
i guess i chose the worst time to post on /fit/ because all over the board i'm not getting any (you) for my troubles so i guess i'll just spam it

how the fuck do i drop below 15% bf

it has been going smoothly up until now
>>
>>38144294
Micro pause, don't bounce the bar
>>
I'm stuck with squatting at 1.5pl8 and I can't seem to progress somehow. My form should be alright (asked multiple people and recorded it) but it feels impossible in stead of heavy. Weird thing is, untill a certain depth it feels easily doable, while a centimetre further feels so heavy that I almost fall on the safeties. Any tips or advice?
>>
going to police academy. need good running / calisthenics shoes. needs to be good for running overall. price not really an issue. I have zero sense of style and don't want to look like a jackass

help a brother out?
>>
>>38144497
Eat at a deficit?
>>
What happens if I eat at a surpluse and work out while being overweight?
>>
>>38144497
eat less and/or burn more calories is quickest.

maintaining weight while dropping bf% is slowest but theoretically no strength or mass loss
>>
>>38144497
eat less move more

>>38144596
you will gain muscle and fat
>>
>>38144596
You become even fatter, you'll probably gain some muscle but you'll never notice it under all the fat.
>>
>>38144596
probably still lose weight since you'll eventually build enough muscle to overtake your surplus.
>>
I'm a skinnyfag having trouble getting enough protein and calories to gain weight. I feel like a protein supplement would really benefit me but what one to get? What is the difference between a mass gainer and regular whey protein powder? Pls halp /fit/ I wanna buy it in bulk but I also don't wanna pay for overpriced garbage. Also don't want to pay for a mass gainer if it's a meme or if it'll turn me fat. Preferably I'd like to get something without creatine so I can keep my hair, k?
Thanks bye
>>
Working from home, what can I substitute dips and pullups with?
>>
>>38144616
>eat a slurpus
>lose weight
c'mon
>>
>>38144631
I'm saying if he continues to eat the same surplus eventually that surplus becomes a deficit
>>
>>38144680
So he won't lose any of the weight that he has now only weight that he gains from eating a surplus.

Also
>eat at a surplus and it will eventually become a deficit
I believe it'll become maintanence before it becomes a deficit, at which point he'll just stall in weight...
>>
>>38144747
good point actually. I guess ultimately he would end up maintaining weight and lowering bf% very very slowly
>>
>>38144618
>wich should I buy?
5kg scitec whey master race reporting in

>whats the difference
mass gainer has calories and helps you gain weight

>is mass gainer a meme
yes. There are cheaper ways to get fat

>without creatine
I don't think it has some effect on your hair
>>
>>38144626
pls go to a gym
>>
>>38144535
bump
>>
My right shoulder muscle is always cotracted after my last workout, I feel it pulling all the time but it doesn't hurt and I can move it normally, what's going on?
>>
I eat peanutbutter on toast for breakfast then hit the gym 1.5 hours later. If I lift after an hour or less after eating then I feel like I'm going to faint.

What can I have for breakfast that will digest quicker and give me enough energy for SS?
>>
I just fucking got pneumonia and strep throat, meaning I have the worst sore throat and uncontrollable coughing, mixed in a migraine. I really want to go to the gym to sweat it out of my system, and to not lose gains, but this time I really feel like going in sick might be more detrimental. Should I go?
>>
>>38143724
Start doing bench and ohp for 3x5 instead. It's soon gonna happen to your squat too judging by your numbers. Upper body stalls out more quickly than lower m8
>>
>>38144982
if you've been working out a long time try shoulder flexibility stuff or change the exercise.

if you've been working out for a short period still do flexibility stuff but focus on form. if anything itll probably just go away.
>>
>>38144982
Yoghurt, fresh banana, orange juice
>>
Speaking of yogurt, my mom is from eastern europe and she does the homemade kind, I mean the let the milk ferment for some days.

It's extremely thick and kinda salty though, should I keep buying it or is it better to eat the homemade one?
>>
>>38145156
Sounds like you're eating rancid milk my man.
>>
Six months ago my blood pressure averages from multiple readings over a week were 135/95 and my pusle was 92.

Since then I have been lifting and lost about 10kg of fat.

This week I took my averages and my bp is 150/80 with a pulse of 80.

Why are my diastolic pressure and pulse down to normal while my systolic pressure is in a critical range? I don't get winded nearly as easily as six months ago and I feel much healthier. Is it just benign left ventricular hypertrophy or should I be concerned?
>>
>>38145456
probably just a bad reading. did you have it done manually or by machine?

whenever they do machine on me my bp is like 140/70 but when they do it manually im 119/80 every single time
>>
>>38145508
By machine. But those are averages over 3 days and the machine shows good (consistent with their doctors) readings for everyone else who uses it.

I know, it would be best if I went to the doctor but I don't have insurance.
>>
>>38145642
interesting. it still might just be a fuck up with the machine though. how you inserted your arm or whatever.

but how do you not have insurance man? might as well get obamacare they're actually fining people now
>>
>>38145696
I'm not in the US.

The cuff is a lot tighter on my arm than before but it's still within the markings that designate proper placement.
>>
>>38145770
where do you live that requires insurance? just curious, im not very culturally educated
>>
>>38145821
I live in Bosnia. Which used to have a great health-care system inherited from socialist times. Problem is that corruption has completely wrecked it over the last ten years, both from a staff and infrastructure perspective.

The tremendous costs of endemic corruption and it's collateral damage is now being absorbed by all public services. They are slashing everyone they can from insurance lists to cover the costs, I got slashed on a tiny technicality and I would have to pay 6 months salary to get back on it.

Even when I had insurance: last time I was scheduled for an emergency kidney examination (false alarm) I was put on a 3 month waiting list. Ended up going to a private clinic the same day, where I found the doc from the hospital who was too busy for the next three months to see if I need my kidney removed. Turns out he works 2 hours at the hospital and then duck out to his private practice, fucker just hangs a "busy" sign on the entire renal ward. Ended up paying him 80 bucks and spitting in his face.
>>
>>38145979
yikes. sorry to hear that. come to america.
>>
>tfw looking for a gym with a pool nearby
>the only one is mainly for women and they do crossfit

fug
>>
>>38146005
My cousin actually has a shipping company in Michigan and is constantly asking me to get a work visa which wouldn't be that hard with his guarantee and my degree, only I'm Muslim so the NSA would have a field-day giggling at my cringey texts to my ex. But I feel uncomfortable leaving my parents alone in this corrupt shit-hole.
>>
>>38146134
you'd be fine man. im sure they'd want you to get out and be better off. but do you. you're an adult i guess.
>>
I know how many calories I need to eat per day to gain weight but how do I calculate how many calories I burn while working out? Using SS but I do pushups, crunches, curls and calve workouts with it
>>
>>38146669
>google
>calories burned strength training
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.