[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Running general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 38

Reminder that if you want to run any distance longer than an oval track at least some of your workouts should be easy, slow and long and you shouldn't get winded.
>>
File: 142_art_Main.png (46KB, 579x279px) Image search: [Google]
142_art_Main.png
46KB, 579x279px
Running slow increases your lactate threshold, allowing you to run faster and longer without getting winded.
>>
Can anyone recommend a 10k training plan?
>>
>>38104516
1 long easy run a week.
2 hard days (tempo runs, intervals, fartleks, strength, etc)
Fill the rest with recovery runs/rest/whatever else.
Having a day of cross training is always good for variation and injury prevention.

Depends how many weeks you have until race, but the rule of thumb is don't increase anything by more than 10% a week to keep from getting hurt. Increase less to be conservative. Map out your plan out backwards from race date. Always rest the day before the race, rest or recovery run 2 days before.
>>
>>38104947
>Map out your plan out backwards from race date
Thanks for the advice. Makes absolute sense.
>>
>>38105308
Also leave some room for error. There's going to be days where you need to rest for whatever reason or real life getting in the way.
>>
File: ran.jpg (160KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
ran.jpg
160KB, 750x1334px
>>
>>38106979
Is that just an app or does it require one of those Garmins?
>>
>>38106979
Good job!
>>
>>38105988
I'll keep it in mind. I'm actually recovering from a 4 month full stop. Will be probably reporting and asking for advice on these running generals. Thank you bro.

>>38106979
Brilliant. Would you tell us what are you training for? Advice?

>>38107720
Looks like runtastic. If you have any android or OS phone you can download it and use it.
>>
Ok i wanna bring my shitty 1.5 mile time from 6 to 5 mins, what do i need to do.
>>
>>38107720
runkeeper is based my friends runtastic is okay if you like being constantly reminded of the gold package or whatever the hell that costs 20 bucks a month or something. Runkeeper also has a more accurate GPS I've noticed
>>
Does /run/ prefer trails, parks, or neighborhood running?
>>
>>38108404
paved trails > parks > desolate road > neighborhood > rudimentary trails > City road >

>Running at night is the best
>>
I run the 10 km in 53 min.
Do you think with a 6 weeks specific training I can hit below 50 min ?
>>
>>38109175
Yes
>>
There is a hill outside my house I've been tackling. I want to get to 8 reps of 50 m sprints with rest period being the walk down. currently doing 6 before wanting to die from exhaustion. Any criticisms?
>>
>>38103989
Fuck running.

My calves shrank 3 inches since I started running without chaning my lifting/diet.

Running ruined my legs I look like a fucking curlbro now.
>>
File: 1406199126865.jpg (155KB, 708x664px) Image search: [Google]
1406199126865.jpg
155KB, 708x664px
>just ran my first 5km tonight
>>
>>38103989
Anyone else find that their aerobic gains decay faster than anything else? Depressing...at least it's also the easiest to recover.
>>
>>38108404
Paved/gravel trail master race
I wish people wouldnt walk thier dogs on them though, fuckers get in my way
>>
>>38109878
Try running in the middle of a busy city. Its the WORST FUCKING THING EVER. I swear people will see me come towards them with great speed and not give a single fuck or show respect by moving out of the way of a fit masterrace trying to do some self-improvement while these fat fucks eat their ice cream and catch pokemons.

REEEE
>>
>>38108024
If you can run 1.5 miles in that time, you'll need an extra room in your house for all your trophies and medals.

4 minute mile pace is like the gold standard for world class athletes.
>>
>>38109538
None at all. Hill sprints are tough. Building strength would help you hit the next two if you already have a good aerobic base.
>>
>>38109601
People say it takes 5 to 7 days to start losing aerobic capacity. If I didn't lift for that long I'd feel soft and weak. so I guess for me no.
>>
>>38109922
Been there. Early morning runs are the way to go in cities. Sidewalks are clear, rush hour hasn't crapped out a bunch of pollution, and in the summer it's way cooler.
>>
>>38110261
Cheers for the feedback. I'm into the 3rd week of stronglifts 5x5 covering the strength part. Sitting at 37.5kg for the squats. More than that I notice poor form
>>
File: muscle2.jpg (28KB, 433x325px) Image search: [Google]
muscle2.jpg
28KB, 433x325px
Reminder that warmups are important.
>>
>>38106979
Good job! Keep up the good work!
>>
>>38110387
I'm not a trainer or pro or anything, but I think if completing hill sprints is your goal 3x12 or super sets, train to failure would be better. Gotta build your bodys ability to break down lactic acid. This is essentially your recovery time.

Focus on exhaling on your walk down the hill. Make sure you're breathing with your stomach. Once you're taking shallow breaths, it's a wrap. When your body is breaking down lactic acid (a product of anaerobic exercise) it creates a whole lot of co2 that's carried to the lungs in your bloodstream. That's what happens when you feel winded. Your lungs are filled with more co2 than normal. You gotta get that co2 out and fresh air in.

Just make sure not to neglect your cardio base when you pile on the strength.
>>
Can anyone help me..

I need a 8 minute mile and a half run time. I'm currently 10:20 without any training.

What kind of running should I be doing to get there? Are there any plans like SS specifically for speed, not distance? Thanks all
>>
>>38110286
I disagree with that saying. When I was doing training this year for my first marathon, I was able to get max distance over a two day span (ran 6 miles evening, then ran 20 next morning). My ankles hurt a lot after that so I took a two week break. When I did the repeat to see if it was a fluke, it wasn't. I was still able to do it.

Now, I did take a month long break after the marathon and found a major hit in how long I could go. After that, even an hour was a struggle.
>>
>>38110441
You don't limit yourself. Even your fastest 5kers do longer runs. It helps build your endurance. They also do tempo and interval runs. Another suggestion: hill sprints.

Why do you need to do an 8 minute mile and half? I don't know of any kind of test that require that. When I tested for state trooper position, I did it in the same time you did, and i got max points. The cut off for one less point was 12 minutes.
>>
please rate my routine

warmup: 10 minutes
- 5 min fast walking
- 3 min light jog
- 5 min fast walking with 2% incline

run at 80% for 4 min at 2% incline
jog for 2 min at 2% incline
- repeat that 4 times

I was told by my gym teacher that this was HIIT
but I have seen that most HIIT routines have much shorter intervals than 4 minutes
I guess my routine is a hybrid?
it REALLLY drains me
>>
>>38110441
If you haven't trained, I'd really focus on building a base for the first 8 weeks. This means running long, easy, and slow. Your heart rate should be 70% max and you should be able to speak a sentence without taking a breath while running. The idea is not to cross the point where your body starts using anaerobic systems over aerobic systems.

Just having a good base alone will probably get you to 8 minutes. Add in some speed work and you can get it down to 7. Just guessing, I don't know your weight for age or what sort of base fitness you have.
>>
>>38110451
To start to lose it, is what I meant. Doesn't mean you turn into a jellyfish on day 8.

Congrats on the marathon, planning a half next summer and full the year after that. Year after that, ice cream.
>>
I've been running using one of those couch to 5k apps and did my first 5k today, 4 weeks after starting. It was really slow but I'm happy I managed it. Going to try to work up to 10k now.
>>
>>38110550
It's definitely an interval workout. If you were doing 95% or max, yea, those intervals would be shorter.

Looks like a decent workout but I wouldn't make the only thing you do.
>>
>>38110603
Goodjob.
I'd focus on making sure you can maintain your pace throughout the 5k before trying to double the distance. Maybe even negative splits if you're tearing it up.

Keep at it.
>>
>>38109922
Im a 6'3'' 190lbs lifter and plenty of people dont move out of my way on runs either. Its almost always tiny mother fuckers that just stand there like a deer in the headlights. I just want to yell get the fuck out of my way little faggot.
>>
Can an untrained person run 10k
>>
>>38110672
Wouldnt say its impossible
You will probably enter snap city though
>>
File: energy_supply1107654110562.gif (4KB, 442x276px) Image search: [Google]
energy_supply1107654110562.gif
4KB, 442x276px
Reminder that having a good aerobic base is the #1 thing for running any distance over a mile.

If you're getting winded during your runs, slow down. Going easy will actually build endurance faster than going hard.
run easy and run long.
>>
>>38110687
I dont do runs over an hour
>>
>>38110672
Yes. An untrained person can run a marathon. Look up the PBS Nova documentary on it. A few of the paricipants were fat and one was a heavy smoker.
>>
>>38110672
Depends on your activity levels. For a moderately active person, The problem will most likely be from hurting tendons and soft tissues rather than getting too tired and conning out.

So they could do it, but they'd hurt themselves.
>>
>>38110703
You cover more than 1500 meters in that hour though, right?

If you go for an hour, you have a good base. If you're starting out or do nothing but lift, you dont.
>>
File: Picture 6.png (34KB, 540x315px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 6.png
34KB, 540x315px
Reminder to get some sugars within the first half hour after your run if you don't want to feel exhausted tomorrow.
>>
>>38110821
If I dont eat after my runs I get sleepy af.
I usually drink a oat and protein shake right after I get in the door
>>
I usually load up on cola zero
>>
Can I make strength/mass gains with running if I'm on a caloric surplus?
>>
i have 30 days to get somewhat conditioned for military.

im already strong and my calisthenics are top tier but i dont run.

suggestions?
inb4 "run." no shit. looking more for something that'll get me used to running without gassing more than running a certain distance or in a certain time.
>>
>>38110858
Yes you literally just replace the calories you run off with a protein meal, now you are making cardio and strength gainz
>>
>>38110858
of course
just make sure you actually eat at a surplus
>>
File: payton.jpg (173KB, 960x1352px) Image search: [Google]
payton.jpg
173KB, 960x1352px
>>38110858
Hill sprints.

Or any sort of explosive sprinting.
>>
>>38110881
Just jog slowly everyday unless something starts to hurt.
I remember an army friend saying 2 miles in 15 minutes was their morning cardio or fitness test or something, so make that your goal. If you started to get winded, walk for a bit.
Never run through pain, you'll have plenty of time for than in the army.
>>
>>38111016
cool thanks
>>
Question. I'd like to lower my bodyfat percentage a bit while staying at around the same weight. I run around 25 miles per week currently, but that number is gradually increasing. Would adding a weight lifting/bodyweight routine help with this goal?
>>
>>38111183
lower bf% but same weight = lose fat + gain muscle to replace

eh. its finnicky and could take a while. eat the calories you need to maintain your current weight and excess protein to promote muscle growth. just takes longer and youll need to be precise about your calories if you're really committed. and yes, lift. you can't gain muscle if you don't work them. also, be sure you are taking into account all the calories you burn through exercise. running 25+ miles a week AND lifting is gonna require a lot more eating than you are currently doing. use a website, find your TDEE, and be precise. good luck
>>
>>38110881
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPoE9rsT3Y8

Do the best you can with the time you have.
>>
>>38110672
You'd probably hurt yourself
>>
I absolutely need running shoes, what are the kinds of things to look for as a new runner? I don't like spending money so the cheaper the better (within reason obviously).
>>
I'm guessing 4a is like HIIT routine?
>>
How long til 50 min 10k if I can run a 25min 5k? My endurance needs a lot of work.
>>
>>38111300
Hm okay. Thanks for the help. I know how important diet is in all of this so I'm trying to get a handle on how many calories I should eat and how much of each macro.
>>
>>38108478
Running at dawn is the best imo desu senpai
-no dumbass drunk drivers or lotta traffic
-no-one up to harass you
-keeps you awake and feeling great throughout the day
>>38110672
I did when I was 14 and 60 pounds overweight (wasn't apart of a race or anything) and got a minor stress fracture that made it unable to jog / run again for 2 months. I also did it in shitty sneakers with my laces untied on the foot it happened on, for over half of the run.

If you're healthy, normal weight, and go at a modest pace for your condition I would even say you wouldn’t even suffer any consequences of a stress fracture. Maybe some minor shin-splits or something similiar for a week.
>>
>>38111596
You can buy the previous generation of shoes for like 40% off what it cost when it was current generation so buy clearence.

It took me a few pairs of shoes and maybe a year or so to really figure what kinds of shoes were right for me. Everyone's different so it's hard to say what'd be good for you.

The advice I can give is dont buy minimalist because you'll probably hurt yourself. Also in my experience, stability shoes cause more problems than they solve. Really high heel to toe drops can also cause problems for some people.
>>
File: 1459976323087.jpg (373KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459976323087.jpg
373KB, 1080x1080px
>tfw get butthurt at how easy I see skellies running my times online
>"just started running, did my first 5k in 25 mins"
Fuck off that took me like 5 months to hit
REEEEEEE
>>
>>38104516
Do couch to 5k, then couch to 10k.
>>
File: 5k-age-group-nb.jpg (28KB, 490x279px) Image search: [Google]
5k-age-group-nb.jpg
28KB, 490x279px
>>38112720
Yea but watch em try to help you move a couch.
Who cares? You got better and can now do something the average person probably cant, assuming you live in a fat lazy western nation.
>>
>>38109567
Underrated. Did you followed a plan or just went for it? Either way good work bro!
>>
>>38112898
Yeah I know I look way more impressive running then those little skellys but it just bothers me that it took months of training to get a not shit time. 2bh it just motivates me to get faster.
>>
>>38110567
>you should be able to speak a sentence without taking a breath while running
When people say that, is it about halfway into the run or near the end of it?
>>
Hello everyone!
I'm looking to improvisation my sprinting speed and was wondering if You guys had any good excercises. So far i have just been doing 5-10 Max speed 100 meter runs about 3 Times a day.
>>
>>38113379
At any point in the run.
>>
>>38113423
Lrn2/rest. There's no reason to do splits unless you are a Kenyan.
>>
>>38113601
I'm sorry if i sound stupid, but what is lrn2 and is 12,04 sec an ok 100m sprint time?
>>
>>38113673
Learn to.

And yes, that's an overall average time. In time, you'll get better. Is sprinting going to be yoyr main mode running? If so, don't forget to do some long distance running along with lifting.
>>
>>38113497
Ayt. Thanks.
>>
>>38110441
Wtf fitness test needs a 8minute 1.5 Thats like 5 minute miles.
>>
Who /strava/ here?
>>
>>38114056
Whats the point of it
>>
File: muh runs.jpg (193KB, 1438x1280px) Image search: [Google]
muh runs.jpg
193KB, 1438x1280px
Got to love running in a fatigued state--especially the aerobic gains it gives you.
>>
>>38113763
I lift alot and my I can run 25km without dying. I Want to increase my sprint speed because im going to play in the Swedish national rugby team.
>>
>>38114250
Do you do any kind of hill sprints? What about your long runs? Do you incorporate hills in it? What about the grade? You say you can run 25k without dying. That tells me you're not doing any kind of tempo or interval runs. Incorporate them into your routine.

Otherwise, you seem to got everything else. It's more along the lines of practicing to get better.
>>
>>38114250
>>38114347
Sweetness says hillsprints are the way to go for explosive power.
https://youtu.be/jbWeMSl38GY

Also, just Google some 100m training routines and incorporate any of the exercises from that into your training if you don't have anything similar already.
>>
File: be advised.png (595KB, 548x786px) Image search: [Google]
be advised.png
595KB, 548x786px
>>38111596

get yourself a pair of like $60-80 Asics, those motherfuckers last for like 2-3 years of actually being running shoes, then another 5 for general shit shoe activities like mowing the lawn, walking in rivers, etc.
>>
should I get a fitbit, they seem expensive but could probably give me a better idea of how I'm doing and could add some motivation by being in the daily competitions with others.
>>
>>38116053
If you get the heart rate one, getting your resting heart rate daily is great for seeing how your training is progressing. They're not great for your heart rate during workouts though. Get a chest strap for that.

Any runner will completely annihilate not runners in all the step challenges.
>>
>>38108008
Im training to get this qt3.14 who is into trail running. Ive been doing cardio for the last 7 months pretty solid but just got into running the last 3-4 weeks.
>>
How to train for marathon? Burn out at like 10 miles atm. Should I focus on going as far as possible everytime, or slowy build up constancy
>>
>>38116930
Trail running can be dangerous if you're not conditioned for it. So much more fun than road running though. Work on balance and lateral stability. Toughen up those ankles, get those hips nice and stable.
>>
>>38103989
can someone explain how doing all this shit is preferable to just getting some cardio and weights in everyday while eating healthy? seems a bit extreme
>>
>>38116952
How often do you run? What are your distances on your other runs? How's your diet?
>>
Does anyone here drink protein shakes post-run or at all? Is there a reason to?
>>
>>38117293
I drink chocolate milk. It has the perfect combo for restoring all the carbs I burned and protein to enhance muscle recovery.
>>
>>38117293
I drink shakes with spirutein. It's got a good amount of protein and a bunch of vitamins and junk.

There's no reason for a shake that's like 2 grams protein to 1 gram of carbs. But 2 to 4 grams of carbs per gram of protein is a good idea.
>>
>>38117054
I try to do 5-7 miles every other day. Vegetarian
>>
>>38117030
been working on it, started with some very mild offroading, gonna work my way up once I find a more advanced trail.
>>
>>38117775
How is your pacing during your runs? How is your route (e.g. has a lot of hills?).

One thing you might want to try is splits or running two days in a row. What I do for my training is I run 6 miles at night, then the very next morning, I run my long run (right now, I'm up to 16 miles and will continue to 20 miles before I taper). I don't run hard or fast at all during these two specific runs. They should be slower.

When you start maybe run 3 miles at night, then the next morning do 6. Then build up the 6 mile run 1 mile once per week. Once you're up to 10, bump up the 3 mile up one mile until you're up to 6. Once that is up to 6, continue bumping up the 10 mile until you get to 16-20 miles.

In one of your earlier runs, maybe run 3 miles. It doesn't really have to be fast, but if you're wanting to build speed, then feel free to run it fast. Maybe even add some hills and maybe do some hill sprints afterwards. Or, while running the 3 miles, do 10 seconds to 1 minute where you're running fast, and do this for each mile.

If you're vegetarian, I can most likely assume you're getting enough carbs? What do you eat afterwards? What are you eating before a run? Make sure you load up on carbs. After your run, load up on protein and carbs in a 3:1 ratio to aid in recovery. Whenever you start with your longer runs (10 miles or more), start making sure you have something to replenish carbs like Gatorade. Once you start in the 13+ mile range, you have a good chance of hitting the wall. Drinking Gatorade will replenish enough carbs to get you a little bit further.
>>
File: IMG_0692.png (89KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0692.png
89KB, 750x1334px
post them resting heart rates
>>
>>38108478
>all dat paved shit over trails

graphicinjury.jpg

should be

packed single track > dirt road > grass/dirt field > gravel road > shallow sand > rubber track > asphalt > everything else > sidewalks

>>38109556

Start running steep, rocky/technical trails and see wild calf gains... or just stay a faggot.

>>38110441
The fuck? You trying to be a SOWT or some shit?

Either way, 400m Repeats, bro.

10x 400m laps @ your ideal pace (8:00 1.5mi pace is 5:20/mi so run them at a 1:20 lap pace) with a 200-400m jog between.

Once you get a good base going with that, you can crank your 400m pace down to about 1:15 or 1:10.

They suck, but they work. Either way, if you're going out for a job that requires you to run an 8:00 1.5mi, you're gonna get used to suck.
>>
The fuck do I do when the ground is full of ice and snow?
>>
what would u recommend to a 400m runner trying to get in shape over the offseason
>>
File: wewlad.jpg (442KB, 1660x829px) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.jpg
442KB, 1660x829px
>>38118113
Noice HR brah, mine is usually 50-55 during the day, usually 48-50 in the morning though.

Get this though.

I've only been at the gym for 9 months and when I started my RHR was 85-90 from drinking and sitting around and eating shit, I use to get winded going for a walk when I first started exercising.

So, I am pretty happy I have almost halved my RHR in 9 months of lifting 3 days a week and doing interval training on the treadmill 3 days a week, obviously I've been doing more as I've been getting fitter too.

I'm still fat too, well, technically obese for another 3kg and then I will drop into the overweight class instead, still, heart is doing well now, interval training has really smashT it into good shape.
>>
>>38116930
Damn bro. I literally started running because of this grill. It's the only good thing I got out of that. Mixed feels reading your post. It's like I was you. Hope it works bro, Srs. You are going to be in my prayers tonight. I wnat you to make it, to get her and both of you fall in love with eachother. Totally srs.
>>
>>38113088
>Angry manlet detected
Cheer up little guy, even though you will never be a real man, you can still lead a somewhat fulfilling life :^)
>>
Brehs is the "calories burned" estimate from Runtastic accurate?
Ran 4km in 25 minutes and it says I burned around 300 calories
>>
File: 1466198262533.jpg (101KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1466198262533.jpg
101KB, 1024x904px
>>38119446
Feel you bro
>>
>>38118260
>Start running steep, rocky/technical trails and see wild calf gains... or just stay a faggot.
I'll try that, I recovered some calve gains from squats and doing only rowing for cardio. If my calves shrink I'll murder someone and it will be your fault.
>>
>>38119815
>I recovered some calve gains from squats
>calve gains
>from squats
>>
Sup /run/
I'm a metric retard, thought I was running miles when in fact was running 1.3 miles (turns out 2.2 is pounds to kilos). Anyhow, after doing a new pb of 9.24 for 2.2km I lay down, caught my breath, and did another lap at an easier pace, and in doing so cooled down and injured my knee. Iced it, stayed off it much as I could, now it's two days later and I want to run, what do. It doesnt hurt going up stairs like it did yesterday and the day before but the last thing I want to do is double down on the injury. I'm cutting if that changes recovery time / injury likelihood.
>>
>>38114189
I can't tell what is going on in this pic
>>
>>38103989

What is RPE?

Is the most fitting military running type endurance?

Where can I practice sprints alone?
>>
File: muh dog 2.jpg (641KB, 2648x1496px) Image search: [Google]
muh dog 2.jpg
641KB, 2648x1496px
>6 weeks into C25K
>been running with my 20lb pupper for extra motivation to improve his health too
>tfw he can only keep my pace for the first half or two thirds of the run before my pace becomes too fast for him

I've repeated a week a couple times but I think he is just too small to keep up with his short legs. I really dont want to abandon him but I might have to once I improve my speed and distance enough. At least he helped me find the motivation to start this in the first place

pic related, he is worn out
>>
>>38120026
bro, dogs will keep going until they die from exhaustion and or dehydration. Don't run with your dog for serious speed / distance unless he's bred for it like a sheepdog. Just take him out for comfy walks as a cool down.
>>
>>38120071
yeah I'm aware, but running 5mph for 25 mins at night in mild temps will hardly kill a normal healthy dog. I always slow my pace to match him when he tires to make sure I don't push him any harder than I am pushing myself
>>
>>38119983
rate of perceived effort
>>
File: bodyonultrarunning.jpg (85KB, 1090x1300px) Image search: [Google]
bodyonultrarunning.jpg
85KB, 1090x1300px
Plan to run a 100k (62 miles) in 2 months. I have trouble getting back to a normal level of fitness or motivation to run most of the time.
It might be really bad.
>>
>>38120346
If you're gonna run 100k it's gonna be really bad man. Least you're getting used to it.
>>
>>38120346
>100k
Pure autism
>>
File: Screenshot_20160731-122258.png (325KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160731-122258.png
325KB, 1440x2560px
Ran this last night on a hangover, with a light rucksack - probably about 10kg if that.

Trying to get down to an 8 min per mile pace.
>>
>>38119871

Rest it some more, play it safe, I sprained my ankle 3 months ago and tried running on it again after just 2 weeks, rolled the same ankle and had to take 7 weeks out.

Play it safe.
>>
>>38103989
If im doing c25k which one of these should I be at?
>>
>>38120346
Back to a 14 miles that was actually ok. I felt good.

>>38120745
It will, and will be the longest I even walked but the challenge is interesting.

>>38121032
Shit. At what distance do you reach pure autism?
>>
>>38118310
Option 1: run on it
Option 2: treadmill
Option 3: crosstrain
>>
>>38118479
If I have a couple drinks a day for a few days in a row, my resting hr can climb like 10 bpm.

When I'm trainin it's 45 to 50, about 5 bpm higher when I'm farting around. Probably another 5 if I've been drinking.

55 is pretty low if you're still carrying extra weight. That's a good improvement.
>>
>>38119815
Trail running and hiking turns your legs into tree trunks.
>>
>>38119871
Do some low impact cardiovascular to crosstrain. Keeps you in shape and doesn't stress your knee as much. Elliptical, arc trainer, bike, etc.
>>
>>38120346
I feel ya. When I ran a 50 miler, I never wanted to run again. I got burnt out on it. I was able to push through it though. After the race, I took a month off and only did low distance afterwards (<8 miles) for months afterwards. I'm now feeling the same for marathon training.

>>38121032
>pure badass
Ftfy
>>
>>38119871
>>38121272
Also one thing my dad would do when getting over an injury is walk on an incline on a treadmill. Get a comfortable walking speed going and increase the incline until you reach the same pace of calorie burn that you would during your normal running pace. Could be even worse for some injuries though.

Source: all American trathlete.
>>
>>38119871
Do some form of cross training. If you got a pool nearby, water-jogging is the best for crosstraining, is low impact, and will keep you at 85% aerobic fit.
>>
>>38121243
No they don't. Who the fuck told you that? I run trail ultras and my legs are lean, LIKE THEY SHOULD BE
>>
>>38104516

Daniel's Running Formula, in the back index where the training plans are, do the 5k/10k plan for either beginners or intermediates.

Actually that book is how I would respond to anyone's question of "how do I train for _______" or "how do I get faster" would be to read that book.
>>
>>38121288
Congrats on the 50 miler, every time I finish a plan I just want to stop running for a bit. I love the races that are long distances but the training for the shorter distance is just much more fun.
>>
>>38121418
Personal experience. Those 30 degree inclines are tough. What kind of trails are you doing?
>>
>>38121192
50k is the autism cut-off
>>
>>38120745
I heard a lot of ultra runners smoke weed to deal with pain/boredom during runs. True/false?
>>
>>38121660
No. Research is showing the runner's high is actually a high caused by our endocannaboids instead of endorphins, so weed isn't needed. Also, if you run n trails without music, you get used to meditative running and enjoying the scenery. I recently done this and found I enjoy running more than ever.
>>
>>38121660
>muh boredom meme
>>
>>38121699
When a normal training run can be multiple hours and you're on the same old local path, yea boredom. Ultra running is freakish.
>>
>>38108024

Well the world record for 2 miles is just a few seconds under 8 minutes, so doing 1.5 miles in 6 minutes isn't really that shitty.
>>
File: 6846846574657.gif (674KB, 935x670px) Image search: [Google]
6846846574657.gif
674KB, 935x670px
HOW THE FUCK DO I INCREASE MY FUCKING 5KM SPEED???????????
>>
>>38121879
What's your time?
>>
>>38121879
Hill sprints.
>>
File: 363636632462.png (17KB, 882x758px) Image search: [Google]
363636632462.png
17KB, 882x758px
>>38121888
Like 45 fucking minutes
>>
>>38121879
Really depends on what you are doing already. If you do just 5k tempos over and over maybe try some intervalls like 800m or 1600m or some over distance tempo runs like an 8 - 10k and of cours do not forget your aerobic base
>>
>>38121909
Keep running. Eventually you get faster.
>>
File: hydration.jpg (190KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hydration.jpg
190KB, 1280x720px
>>38121909
How old are you and how much do you weigh?

I am about to run for 2 hours, so quick replys are appreciated.
>>
>>38121909
Oh well how about forget the sprints and work on your aerobic base slow easy and long
>>
>>38121909
Ouch bruh. When I was at my fastest (20:10, I know, not fast, but ok-ish) I just ran a shitload. But I was in Army ROTC then and running like 25 miles a week.
>>
>>38121925
20, 80kg, recently lost a fuck ton of weight and have only been able to do 5km for the past month or so
>>
>>38121925
Enjoy your run!
>>
>>38121947
That is 176lbs in freedom units.

What kind of training plan are you on? You don't need to be too specific. Average hours or km spent a week, days a week running, and if you have a long term plan.
>>
>>38121947
>Hey guys, I'm a beginner, why am I not running as fast as /fit/ claims it does (while providing no proof of it?)
You are a beginner. Keep running. By continous running, you build your legs muscles up, you start running more efficiently with better form, and you find that magically, you get faster.
>>
>>38121964
Ever since hitting 5km I've done a 5km 3 times a week, every monday, wednesday and friday I spend around 45 mins doing the run, not including warm up

My goal at the moment is literally just increase my pathetic time to do it in
>>
>>38121958
Thanks. I am trying to nail my hydration plan. I don't think I let belts, so hopefully this belt will do the trick.

>>38121987
listen to this guy
>>38121977
or do this

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/Intermediate-5K-Training
>>
File: hydration2.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hydration2.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
>>38122004
fuck, I forgot my picture.
>>
>>38122004
K, thanks man, have a good run
>>
>>38122004
I have to reply to myself two times because I am an idiot.

I don't like my belt, so I am trying a new vest.
>>
Ok tommorow my workout will be like this:

-kickboxing for 1 hour or so ( i do 3 -3min heavy bag drills then some bag speedwork and callisthenics)
-1 crossfit session
-Wind sprints immedieately after that

The question is how do i do wind sprints properly? I have a soccer field available , do i SPRINT from corner to corner then walk back and go at it again for 15 mins?

I am a novice runner but i can run 5km daily at 21min pace without any problems, could i do wind sprints every other day?
>>
>>38122004
I just carry a gatorade bottle filled with water. I can usually run 2 hours straight without hydration since I usually drink a bottle of water an hour before I run. However, if it's extremely hot or humid, it's different. Past 2 hours, there's no freakin way. Luckily, the trail i run on has plenty of springs between the mike markers i run between so i can refill easily.
>>
>>38103989
Can anyone help here? Professional soccer player. 18 years old. Was just wondering how to build a good fitness level for the up coming season so I don't get any overuse injuries or any muscle injuries. You would think that my club provides us with preseason programmes, which they do, but it's pretty archaic in my opinion.
>>
>>38121909
>>38121947
Just building a good aerobic base should get you down to 30 minutes. I'd focus on that. Getting a chest strap heart rate monitor is massive for inexperienced runners. Read up on heart monitor training and stay below 70% during your runs.
>>
>>38122285
Are heart rate straps actually recommended for training?
>>
what's the best way to warmup before 5k run/jog?
>>
>>38122620
I typically do a 5-10 minute slow jog around my block, and then do dynamic stretches where I'll walk for maybe 10-15 yards, each time doing a different stretch.
>>
>>38121987
I went from 34 minute 5k to 25minutes in 3 months
Just keep running senpai
>>
>>38122489
Polar or suunto. The cheapest ones will cover your needs, any of the pricier models just have some extra bells and whistles that you gotta decide for yourself if you need or want.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Bluetooth ones that need your phone because I think running with your phone is silly and having to check it vs a watch while running is just stupid.
>>
>>38122620
My warmup is doing the half mile walk to the park then stretching.
>>
>>38122279
Soccor players keep running more than any other sport other than running itself. As a soccer player, you are probably saying "no shit". It's estimated in an average game, starters run for a toyal of two miles.

So, long distance running is best for you. My suggestion is to train up to running six miles straight. While running thess, do some intervals where you are running faster than normal. This should emulate what you experience in the field. Don't go full sprints. Instead, save them for their own workout.
>>
>>38123114
Okay thanks man. Also what about preventing overuse injuries?
>>
>>38123209
Start slow, if you feel pain, stop. Basically stuff you should already know as a professional soccer player.
>>
>>38122121
It has been hot as hell here in Missouri, and I am a triathlete, so I drink more water than I should during a <2 hour run so I can use to hydrating while running. I would hate to get to race day and not react well to drinking while racing.
>>
>>38123209
Hill sprints help to prevent injuries
4*6-8 secs to start
You should reach 6*10-12 sec

Running more and getting stronger will help. Progression.
>>
Professional runner here
Was wondering if anyone could make a 5k training plan for me or give me a good vid to watch on running form. Thanks
>>
>>38123320
Professional, eh?
>>
>>38123320
When is your big 5k?
Get a coach anyway, he/she will be able to be way better than a stranger on the internet:
1. Be able to interview you and look at your history to give you the best plan for you
2. Able to adapt the plan and the workouts based on your reactions
3. look at your form while running
>>
File: 1468373646167.png (875KB, 1653x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1468373646167.png
875KB, 1653x1023px
>>
>>38123380
Its for the olympics, ive already qualified but need to get my time down before the event. My country couldnt afford to fly my coach to brazil and im at the olympic village basically alone. So please help me /fit/
>>
>>38110388
What does this graph mean
>>
I'm just getting back into aerobic exercise now. In high school I did xc and rowing and was shit at both.

I'm 6'2" , 170 pounds.

The past couple weeks I've been running 30 minutes (on a dirt/gravel track) twice a week. Should I try to bump this length up? I don't feel like running a really long time, but I want to make sure I'm running long enough to be improving myself somehow. I'm not aerobically strained on these runs, just soreness in quads mostly.

Also I need stretching advice. I'm willing to devote a solid 15 minutes per day to stretching.

And how long would you recommend I go before starting hill and interval training stuff? My end goal is to be 190 pounds and in really good shape. I've never wanted to be ripped, just 'full'. I'm also trying to do some body weight upper body stuff.

Nutrition has always been the main issue for me. I can't convince myself to work out well when I know I wont be gaining weight, so I've started just trying to eat 4-6 hard boiled eggs a day on top of my usual diet. Any recs in the food dept are also appreciated.

Thanks.
>>
>>38121059
>straight line run
this gives me anxiety
>>
File: 1450833571749.png (44KB, 230x295px) Image search: [Google]
1450833571749.png
44KB, 230x295px
>>38123320
>professional runner
>needs a video on good running form
Something definitely doesn't add up.
>>
File: 1468259533589.gif (3MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1468259533589.gif
3MB, 360x203px
>>38123833
>>
>>38123320
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1x3Ik1t5Y
>>
>>38122620
7 to 10 minutes of jogging with side steps, heel flicks and high knees till you're out of brrath , go to about 70/80%
>>
>>38122489
I'm still a noob, but for me heartrate monitoring is pretty helpful to make me go slow enough.
Before, I would often start too fast. Not much, not enough to notice immediately, but by the time I do notice, the "damage" has been done. Obviously, if I just kept running without a monitor, I would eventually get past that issue, both by building more endurance, and growing more aware.
But having quantative data available in the blink of an eye, and depending on your watch even an alert if you cross certain thresholds, makes things a lot easier, and allows for more efficient training.
Mine is a Polar M400, relatively cheap, but pretty good. The only complaint is that GPS lock-in is sometimes a bit fiddly, but it's usually not too bad either (and you don't need GPS to get the heart-rate functionality).

Chest-band for the heart-rate monitor, watch for display + GPS + storage.
There's a smartphone app (as well as a web-app + small desktop app) for extra functionality, but you don't need that while running, it's more for in-depth analysis and reviewing, if you're into that kind of stuff.
>>
>>38123320
Shit bait.
>>
>>38123662
You really start to see the biggest benefits past 30 minutes. It takes about this this long for your body to switch over fully to aerobic metabolism. 45 to 60 is a good spot to be for most people. Do this and you'll see big aerobic capacity gains.

For me, 10 to 15 minutes in I just want to stop but once I get past 30, I just want to keep going.

30 minutes is still plenty for general health though and a lot better than your average person.
>>
>>38123620
Shows the energy system your muscles use depending on how far into your workout you are.

Atp that's just lying around in the cell at first, then whatever that other shit is, then carbs via anaerobic systems, then fats and oxygen via aerobic systems.

What a lot of people describe as their second wind is their body switching over to aerobic metabolism. For me, my heart rate can actually fall 40 minutes into a workout vs the first 20 despite constant stride length and frequency and the fact I've sweat out a bunch.
>>
>>38111596
Go to a specialty running shoe store
>>
>>38121446
That book is great, too bad he doesn't go into more detail on how to train if you want to improve R (highly anaerobic sprints like 40 yd dash). Why should I finish the season training tempo runs when I want to sprint?
>>
>>38118346

Google "Clyde Hart USATF presentation" for a basic overview of his methods. He's GOAT 400m coach of all time for sure.
>>
>>38123916
i enjoyed that video thanks, any more good resources you can recommend for learning correct form for running?
>>
>>38109567
props mah nigga.
>>
File: 1463540474657.jpg (92KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1463540474657.jpg
92KB, 500x376px
Just finished a 5 mile run

Could barely run 0.5 miles 2 months ago o feel pretty good

Is it normal to feel like you can nearly sprint for ages near the end of the run?
>>
>>38127483
When a good song comes on at the end of a long run, I will sometimes sprint all out to it just cause. I am not sure if this is overall bad, but it is fun.
>>
>>38127483
No. I get the same way. Runners high. Or hitting your stride. Being in the zone. Body being switched over to aerobic metabolism. Call it what you want, it happens and it's why runners love to run.
>>
>>38127483
>Is it normal to feel like you can nearly sprint for ages near the end of the run?
Yes, the world becomes a nicer place
>>
I've been logging more miles per week. I tried running in my old brooks ghost 8 after running in my nike free distances and man the brooks felt horrible.

Anyone run some distance in their Frees or somewhat minimalist shoes? The only part that concerns me is that I notice when going down hill it's harder not to heel strike.
>>
>>38124799
>>38123662 here. I just ran 45 minutes. Should I aim to do this twice a week, or would thrice be better?
>>
>>38121538
I run all kinds. And distances up to 100mi races. The more I run and the more mountains I climb the leaner my legs get. Veiny and ripped as fuck but no one would ever call them big.
>>
>>38121660
False. Too many hipster losers in the game. Ruining it for everyone
>>
/run/, I am also a slowfag (50 min 5k) and it looks like the advice in this thread is I should slow down while running to get faster? I just completed the C25k program.

I'm 24 years old so I should keep my heart rate at (220-24)*.7 = 137 BPM while running, is that right? I thought target heart rate was a meme but I guess it's not?
>>
>>38129547
Heart rate is kind of a meme. It's not that it doesn't work but the problem lies in the formula. It's a normal distribution so if you're in the middle you're fine, but what if your max heart rate is on the extremes?

If you want to use heart rate then get a better max estimate. Sprint up a hill, get heart rate. Jog down and sprint back up. Repeat until the reading at the top doesn't go up anymore and use that number for your max heart rate calculations
>>
>>38129547
Trying to go faster is the most average noob mistake. Been there, done that. Slow down your pace and keep it. You will improve in your time. Rest and diet is where is at btw bro.
>>
It is early in the morning and I want to go run, should I eat something now or do it a bit hungry?
>>
>>38130280
drink water, go for your run, cool down, take a shower, and eat. in that order
>>
>>38130301
thanks
>>
Where do you guys keep your phones? I wanna try this running thing, but Its gonna move a lot in my pocket.
>>
>>38130358
Armbands.
I've also seen elastic belt things with pockets.
>>
>>38128828

heyyyy I just got Free Distances. Really nice shoes. Enjoy them a lot, glad to see others running on em here too.
>>
File: 1452789224253.gif (137KB, 1288x2588px) Image search: [Google]
1452789224253.gif
137KB, 1288x2588px
Sorry for the literal blogpost but I really feel like sharing this and thanking you (and all of /fit/ but the running threads in particular); this thread seemed like the best place to put it.

I'm trying to get fitter by doing pic related, the C25K schedule you all know and love, and pushups, three times a week, as well as cutting calories and eating veggies every day. Today I did the fourth week for the first time. I knew from the start that that first day was going to fuck me up because the step from week 2 to week 3 was so minor and you add 7 minutes of running with only half the rest times. I was already pretty beaten up after the first 5-minute section. One minute into the second I was pretty much out of breath. I kept going though. After two and a half minutes my legs felt like they were caving in but I kept going. At the three minute mark I actually started squeaking like a mouse a little in my breath but I kept track of the minutes, counted down every second and kept going. And I fucking did it.

It might seem like a minor accomplishment to all of you more experienced runners, I know. But this has special significance to me. You see, I tried to get in shape before just over a year ago, and after I finished my third week, on Sunday. my father died in a motorcycle accident. I lost all my energy and passion that day and only gained it back about four months ago, and today I am back better than I was before he past away, fitter and skinnier (though with a long way to go).
I just know that he would be so proud of me; he always has been.

Thanks all of you /fit/izens and /running/ mates for keeping me motivated. You helped change my life, and I will do everything in my might to keep living my new lifestyle. I actually feel like I'm going to make it now.
>>
Anyone else scared of ruining their knees for when they get older.

Its inevitable if you run a lot
>>
>>38132506
They were already fucked before I ran. Some people run all their lives, so I hope they won't be fucked more than they currently are.
>>
>>38129547
70% means 70% of the range between your resting and max heart rate.
So if your resting rate was 70,
220 - 24 = 196 as a good guess for your max hr
[(196 - 70) × .7] + 70 = 158
You should stay under 158 bpm for max aerobic gains.
>>
>>38130358
Wtf do I need a phone for while running?
>>
Is it true that Cardio needs rest days?
>>
>>38132744
Using running apps, syncing to a heart rate monitor, listening to music, etc.
>>
>>38132747
Rest days or recovery runs, yea. Gotta recover those glycogen levels.

And always rest if anything hurts. Don't let those minor pains turn into injuries. A 5 mile run can be 10,000 steps. If someone told you to do something 10,000 times that hurt, you rightlywouldn't do it and shouldnt do it.
>>
>>38132470
Grats man. Keep up the good work :)
>>
>>38132470

you're gonna make it anon. Damn proud of you. Sorry to hear about your loss.
>>
>>38132729
Thanks senpai, today I ran on a treadmill to see what speed gets me to 70% heart rate, and it was only 4mph, damn.
>>
File: 1466623994253.gif (197KB, 330x236px) Image search: [Google]
1466623994253.gif
197KB, 330x236px
>been training 5k for my cardio for awhile now
>decide today to run 10k
>never ran more than 5k before
>make it to 10k easy
Feels real fucking good fampais
Gonna add a 10k to my weekly routine now
>>
>>38136388
Congrats. Next stop half marathon.
Happy with your time as well?
>>
>>38136464
I ran it conservatively since I'd never done it before, I had a lot left in the tank at the end. Will try for time next week.
>>
How do you run without getting knee pain? And isn't running bad for your knees in the long run?

I want to take up jogging since it's free and you can do it anywhere and I love being outdoors, but I'm worried about damaging my knees.
>>
>>38136579
Makes your knees stronger in the long run
The knee meme is made by normies who try running and go too fast too soon and btfo thier ligaments
>>
>>38136388
Past the 10k I'd recommend a more gradual progression so that you don't risk injury.

You're doing well though. We're all gonna make it
>>
Have only been running properly for a couple of weeks, did internal sprints today and have a pain in the top right of my chest, just under the collar bone, anybody know what this is?
>>
>>38136530
Cool, try a race soon. They are really fun.
>>
>>38136805
I wouldnt want to race unless I'd have a shot at winning, just the type of person I am. Maybe next summer I'll be fast enough. At 21 min 5k atm
>>
>>38136926
Well, you will have to have a small race or increase dramatically... You could get to sub 18 in 6 months but that will be very very far to win a race.
>>
>So fat I reach my max heart rate at a fast jog
Am I going to die? It feels good though.
>>
>>38136978
17 seems to win my local races
>>
>>38137036
Oh ok, nice! Go for it then. To go from 21 to sub 18 in a year might be challenging but doable.
>>
Can someone give me a routine to break 50 on the 400m?
>>
>>38136388
Good job. If you could do that without much drop off in your pace, you're in great cardiovascular shape.
>>
>>38137243
Be black
>>
>>38136579
You start slow and increase distance slowly. Your lower legs become better shock absorbers, your feet and knees pronation less, and your hips become more stable, all of which lowers the chance of knee issues.

A lot of knee problems stem from bad form and bad conditioning.
>>
>>38136998
No, but if that's the case, I'd alternate walking and running for a month or two to build a base.
>>
>>38106979
>Average speed 5.4 mph
>8,69046 km/h in real life units
I mean, I don't want to be a douche or anything, but you can't really call this running, no idea why everyone is praising you.
>>
>>38137318
>km/h
>real life units

Minutes per km or kindly fuck off.
>>
>>38137318
Hes probably a beginner
>>
>>38137318
Because he is actually going out and doing it
>>
>>38106979
>155 steps per minute
step it up senpai ;^)
>>
>>38132470
Great man, keep focused, you are almost half way there. Keep reporting bro.
>>
>>38137318
>it's a comfy thread
>it's a asshole ruins a comfy thread episode
>>
>>38137318
It's better than nothing, faggot
>>
File: laugh.gif (1MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.gif
1MB, 245x245px
>>38137318
too much digits atfer the point faggot.
If it's 5.4 mph then there is no use in giving more than 1 digit in km/h since you don't know if 5.4 means 5.35 or 5.44

>mfw niggers want to sound smart but reveal their stupidity
>>
Awaiting MRI results for ankle. Stuck aqua-jogging and biking. Was supposed to be running 80mpw for impending xc season but got injured at 40mpw.
>feels bad
>>
>>38140445
What'd you do to it?
You didn't run through pain thinking that grit and determination were all you needed and anything that didn't kill you made you stronger, did you?
>>
>>38140626
No idea. Went from slight discomfort to almost non- weightbearing in the space of two runs. Wasn't close to peak mileage totals or intensity.
>>
>>38131491
Yeah I really like them alot. My run yesterday in my brooks felt horrible. I did 6 miles and was struggling. I've run 8 miles in my frees and felt way better.
>>
>>38140713
I have a pair of brooks glycerin 2014's. I just got them a little while ago. First running shoe in a while. Do you think you liked Nike better because they're lighter (idk which brooks you have but glycerin is a full 2 oz heavier than free distance). Basically just looking for advice. Do you think I should look into other shoes?
>>
Hi friends.

Need to run a 12 min 2 mile. I know this is shit tier, but it's for some test. I'm a soccer player and in decent shape. Can go play for an hour or so and be fine. 5 mile runs aren't bad at a slower pace, but I tried running 400s at 1:30 per lap and damn did that suck. The first ones were fine, but when I was hitting 7 and 8 it sucked. Albeit I squatted that day, but still didn't think it'd be that hard. What sort of pace work should I be doing? Got 2 weeks til test. I know it's not a lot of time. Any tips?
>>
>>38137358
ye am, ran a 29:19 5k today, working on pacing and distance atm
>>38137493
I should be at 180?

my heart rate at the 11min pace was 160-165 9:30min pace was around 170-175 it was also alot hotter out today. Im assuming ill see a reduction in heart rate at these paces the longer i run/as I get better?
>>
as far as water running goes, how deep and how hard are we talking? Did some max effort runs in thigh high water yesterday for what was essentially tempo pace on land and after a couple of 20m dashes I was fucked. Now I realize they are meant to be recovery and Im doing it all wrong
>>
>>38140791
Brooks makes an awesome shoe. One of the best in the business. Typically I shy away from Nike. i'm by no means an expert. I just really like my free distances because they tend to make me land mid foot as opposed to heel strike. They're also lighter.

Realistically though just getting out there and putting miles on is what matters. People can argue endlessly over what the best shoe is blah blah blah. Find something that works for you and go run.

Build up gradually. Foam roll and work on mobility.

If you are really concerned about what shoe to get go to a reputable running shoe store and get fitted based on your gait and such.

I was fitted for the Brooks Ghost 8. I've gradually transitioned over to more minimalist style shoes and tend to like them more. Then again I'm only running up to 8 miles at the moment.
>>
>>38137243
Are you a sprinter stepping up to 400m or a middle distance runner coming down to 400m? Very different answers depending on your background
>>
How to couch to potato?
>>
>>38141075
Ok thanks. I'm not really running for time, so it's not a big deal. The only concern for me is I dealt with patellar tendinitis when I did xc in high school, and I'd like to avoid that. I doubt running 3 times a week less 1.5 hours will bring it back (I was doing 2 hours 5 days a week), but still just looking out.
>>
How do I incorporate lifting with running? I plan on having a squat day and a deadlift day with 1-2 accessories each, but I fear it will compromise my run.
>>
>>38143532
I lift 3 days a week and run the other 4
>>
>>38143538
Do you do heavy, low reps?
>>
>>38143549
Yeah 5 reps on leg lifts
>>
>>38143571
I see. Seems to be working out for you. I'll try it, thanks.
>>
>>38123268
how do hill sprints prevent injuries you cunt.
>>
>>38143909
They don't prevent injuries in general, but they're less likely than regular running to give you injuries. When you're running uphill, there's comparatively more exertion for less impact, and you're also more likely to catch that impact on the front of your feet.
>>
>>38144044
what about achilles problems? i thought u got those from running up hill. how do you prevent achilles tendon overuse/acute problems?
>>
>>38140681
So you felt it and ran through the pain? Sounds like a tear to me maybe?
>>
>>38140947
They say 180ish is the most efficient cadence to run at. But if you're trying to go slow and easy, it's difficult to shorten your stride to do that so you might have to go slower. At least I do.
>>
>>38144052
This.

Running uphill can be a killer if you have shortened calves/achilles.

The only thing about hillsprints that could possibly prevent injury is the strength it adds. Working on flexibility, stability, and balance is probably more likely to protect you.
>>
How long before you guys got injured since starting?
>>
File: 1448291204614.jpg (63KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
1448291204614.jpg
63KB, 500x493px
going to try a 21km

I bought new shoes so it should be fine
>>
So at 85kg i've decided to start running after i've plateaued weight loss from cutting sugary sodas, as well as cutting down my snacking habits and shortening my daily eating time-frame (not eating before sleep etc).
I managed to jog for 10 minutes with 2 minutes brisk walk warm up and warm down, did just over a mile in that time, I was dripping in sweat considering it's my first real exercise in a couple of years. Should I focus on endurance for the time being?
>>
>>38144608
In the short run, you'll burn more calories but running fast. In the long run you'll burn more running slow to build your aerobic capacity. Then you'll be able to work harder for longer in the future and burn more calories.

In terms of being a better runner, having good aerobic capacity is step 1.
>>
>tfw used to run 18 minute 3 miles
>now it's at 25
this sucks and to top it all off, I got a stomach flu
>>
>>38144452
Enjoy your blisters anon.
>>
>run 5k 3-4 days a week, after 1 hour lift sessions
>barefoot
>treadmill
>6.7 average pace

I've been doing this for years. It isn't difficult, but it's not any easier. Where am I going wrong? How should I shake things up?
>>
>>38145576
Dedicate one day a week to longer distances.
>>
>>38144399
So how do you prevent achilles injuries? stretching? eccentric exercise? what else
>>
>>38145576
Shouldn't you know from lifting that you don't get stronger doing the same thing over and over again?
Do 1 longer and slower run a week and 1 harder run that's either faster constant speed, intervals, track workout, or whatever other variant you want.
>>
>>38109567
keep going till 5k become a casual thing
>>
>>38145758
Resting if you feel any pain and slowly building up so you can condition your body. Doing too much too soon is a great way to injure yourself and have to take a month off.
>>
>>38145600
why?
>>
>>38145814
See the picture that started the thread.
>>
File: 1443542877968.png (137KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
1443542877968.png
137KB, 500x730px
>>38145391
no blisters, Gel Kayanos are very comfy

22km 2:15h; I know it is shitty, but after recent injury I am still somewhat recovering
>>
>>38145782
Can i ride your anus ?
>>
>>38145921
can you explain it though im a bit of a stupid retarded cunt who should kill himself :'D
>>
>>38146024
there is muscle strength, that is how effective your muscles are
there is endurance, that is heart/lungs strength, that is how long and well your body as a whole endures over longer periods of duress

your legs get better at running fast by doing many shorter distance runs at high speed.
but if you want actual endurance, you will need to press your heart (and to some extent mental willpower) by doing long runs, albeit at a slower pace (so your foot don't suffer injuries).

to become a good runner, you will need balanced training that consist of both runs that improve your muscles and runs that improve your endurance(/willpower)

(when you move to marathons, you will realize what willpower truly is)
>>
It's raining all day here today and I don't have access to an indoor track or treadmill. Can I do my C25k workout on an elliptical and pick up on things like normal on Thursday?
>>
File: 1442850598294.png (168KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1442850598294.png
168KB, 1162x850px
>>38146167
I hate running in hailstorm or during snowstorm, but surely you can endure a bit of rain?
that is, as long as it is not is freezing temperatures.
>>
>>38146167
Just run in the rain you pussy
>>
>90 degree weather 80% humidity all year long
Florida is hell
>>
>>38146189
>>38146196
I would if the roads where I'm at weren't shit. Poorly paved roads + hilly area = likelihood of slipping. That's my only hesitation
>>
>>38146230
>>38146230

elliptical is better than nothing, but doesn't really beat actual running
>>
>>38146250
So I shouldn't count it in my running app and pick things up where I left off tomorrow?
>>
>>38146160
I'm a professional soccer player. so would I benefit from 1 long low intensity 45 min run a week? like 65% max HR?
>>
Obease guy who never CARDIOED a day in his life.

I've gotten to the point where I can get into the fat burn zone on treadmill for 60 minutes. Can I safely do this every day, or will I require rest days?
>>
>>38146392
>>38146392
considering football games consist of 45+45mins of running, yeah, being able to run 45 mins without break sounds like a good goal :^)

if you as a "professional" haven't yet deduced that, well... now you have

however, if you happen to be professional, you probably have a professional team couch who might have actual credentials when it comes to training the team members and their weekly training schedules
>>
File: 1466624396888.jpg (34KB, 960x498px) Image search: [Google]
1466624396888.jpg
34KB, 960x498px
>>38146538
even actual runners required rest days, beginners more so.
your body is a machine, and too much usage will result in overheating or damage to the weakest links of the machine; that is probably knees for fatter people, or ankles, or hips.

as long as you are fat (+25-30 BMI), I would suggest either swimming a lot or cycling a lot, since they cause less damage. your legs are meant to run and carry your body, but evolution didn't take into account gigantic rolls of fat-armour.
don't kill your knees (in worst case scenario you might need doctor, surgical operation, and might never run again in your life)

not trying to scare you, but you have to be realistic when it comes to realizing the physical limits of your body parts.
until you decide you are no longer obese, but maybe only slightly fat, don't run. cycle or swim instead. start slowly. no one became a marathoner after a few training runs.

however if you insist on taking your legs to the danger zone, do max 3 sessions a week, with 4 rest days inbetween. caution now might save you a lot of pain and money later on.
>>
File: Untitled.png (98KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
98KB, 1920x1080px
Is there something wrong with my heart? this is my average run. I run with an 8lbs Titin vest and a 8lbs water cammelback. I do feel like my heart is pumping everything it has, but as you can see, I can sustain this feeling for a while.
Thoughts please
>>
I'm trying to improve my 1.5 mile run

At the moment I'm running 5 miles 3-4 times a week

Should I try to increase the speed OR should I start running 10k's instead?
>>
>>38146691
First, stop running with weights. Unless you're training specifically for a test that requires them, you're just damaging your knees.

Also, when you say that you can sustain that for a while, do you mean at least 1h30-2h? To be honest 30 minutes is not that much, and if you're feeling winded near the end, you should go slower at least for your training runs. If this was a race, I would say you should have pushed harder.
>>
>>38146691
if you are young 18-35, that is still within limit of "above average" but normal. younger hearts can endure higher demands.
I myself am 24, but constantly in 150-175 zone despite being in almost perfect shape. that is simply how my heart pumps it out.

it might be 5-15 higher if you have lot of extra weight on, or if it is really hot, or you are bit out of shape, like minor flue.
>>
>>38146743
Im 25, also I read that weight can actually make your bones stronger http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324139404579017353182585052
I mean I have run I believe 45 minutes at 185 mph average before, I just thought that was weird that I could hold my VO2 Max for longer than 30 minutes
>>
>>38146746
Awesome, also, my goal is to reduce my 2 mile run, would trainning like this help me achieve that?
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (5KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
5KB, 320x180px
>>38146896
>I have run I believe 45 minutes at 185 mph average before
>>
>>38146896
>I have run I believe 45 minutes at 185 mph average before
Are you The Flash
>>
File: 1466310339992.jpg (58KB, 592x588px) Image search: [Google]
1466310339992.jpg
58KB, 592x588px
>tfw sprinting the last km of a 10k
>>
>>38146896
That article seems inconclusive at best. Also, it only mentions walking + stairs. Which make sense. But running, on the other hand, involves impact which is intensified by the weights.
>>
>>38146906
>>38146972

I know it sounds weird, thats why I brought the graph of my heart rate monitor, I just dont go that long anymore because gains, let me see if I can find the log of that one time
>>
>>38146538
Coming from personal experience, I believe it's best to lose a lot of weight first on the bike, then when you're at a lighter weight, hit the treadmill. Running while fat streeses out the tendons and shit, which can fuck you hard in the future famalam. Good luck fatbro
>>
>>38143909
They prevent injury by strengthening your muscles. Brad Hudson swears by them, they are all over his book "Run faster" which I recommend. http://running.competitor.com/2015/12/training/steep-hill-sprints_9050
>>
185 Bpm*
>>
File: Run.png (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Run.png
124KB, 1920x1080px
>>38147210
Found it, no weighted vest, just my water camel back.
>Army Fag
>>
>>38147337
Were you out of breath at the end? I just checked and my poorly trained 10k I got 181bpm average.
>>
>>38147337
>>38147370
And 187 average for a 5k a bit better trained
>>
>>38147390
>>38147370
Yes a bit, okey so there are people like that out there, good, just needed to know if I needed to see a doctor lol
>>
>>38147411
Well mine were races. So I was technically all out.
>>
>>38145782
what a fucking shit answer you stupid cunt.
>>
>>38146550
I'm in the MLS and earn 30,000 a week. Our S&C coach is basically a gym bro who makes us do a shit ton of squats, deadlifts and sprints and a lot of 25-30 minute HIIT work during the offseason. It makes us strong, powerful and quick, but usually I find that for the first 5 games of the season I am dead by the 75th minute. Only after that does my fitness go up, so I was wondering if 1 long endurance run helps. Thanks dick head.
>>
>>38109567
Good work; now that you've done it once, you can do it again, and again.

Aim for a 10k next bro; you can do it.
>>
>>38147515
Do you have his fitness regimen? wanna post it?
>>
>>38146725
answer pls
>>
>>38147515
well, you should always listen to actual professional rather than the internet doctors of /fit/

training for strength is good, but as you say, endurance is also needed

1 long endurance helps, 2 might be twice better
honestly I don't know your physical strengths nor do I know if recommending more than 1-2 runs a week might end up causing harm to you on the long time, simply because football can by itself be quite stressing to foot tendons and knees.

so yeah, before you take us /fit/ internet professional seriously, ask your own coach how far you should push

running after the ball a few hours per day is in itself endurance running.

t. non-footballer who just likes long distance running
>>
>>38147515
Hey, not the guy you are replying to but usually it is advised to listen to your coach, he/she has more knowledge about the whole team and global fitness than us - strangers on the internet.

Now, depending on your position I would definitely do some long runs up to 2 hours as it has many benefits. But see with your coach, maybe a long run will cause problems for your recovery and future sessions.
>>
>>38146725
>>38147655

do 10ks for endurance at slower speed, it builds your heart and lungs
do shorter runs at faster speeds, it increases your heart maximum and it ends up developing stronger foot muscles

answer is again; balance between both strength and endurance
>>
>>38147695
How about 3 10k's a week and also a best effort 1.5 mile at the end of the week?
>>
>>38147724
sounds good to me, but keep in mind not to push too hard (or you get injuries, t. someone who never learns)
10k is a good distance, because you basically recover from it within a day. however if you do a demanding 10k, it might require 30-50 hours of recovery.
a fast sub 5k is also something that you recover from within 24-48 hours, depending on how well your muscles feels afterwards.

that being said, most distance runners do try to balance in such a fashion, and keep a limit of 3-5 runs per week, because the body is just human and needs recovery.
and sometimes the realization of having needed more recovery only hits you once you get some running related injury.
(I am someone who never learns and keep getting 3-5 injuries on annual basis because I forget to have enough recovery time)
>>
>>38147575
I'm away right now, what we usually do is head in to the gym - small groups and we usually have programmes tailored specifically for us, but generally they are all very similar between us unless a team mate is dealing with an injury.

I'm in an ice bath right now and just texting this to keep my mind off it so I may miss a couple things..

During the off season we will basically overload our legs by doing loads of bulgarian split squats, back squats, front squats, deadlifts, plymoetrics, etc. A big focus on eccentric and concentric by going down slowly for 5 seconds and powerfully going back up in 1-2 seconds. This helps a lot with injury prevention for our muscles and tendons, according to our coach. Basically anywhere from 3x5 to 3x12. rep range, depending on the session. Of course we do a lot of upper body work, and loads of balance and core work. Tons of core work. This is usually done after our group training sessions, usually our trainings during preseason (during this phase of hypertrophy) consist of low intensity work, a lot of passing, possession drills, tactical work. This is for 2 weeks. We really overload during this period. We follow a periodized plan, but usually I just go with the flow. I know a few team mates who are a lot more knowledgeable on this stuff and take their recovery pretty seriously. (Everyone at this level does, but others take it to extremes).

After 2 weeks we do less gym work for legs, still a lot of core work, and then move onto putting some miles in our legs with longer endurance runs (but not the low intensity 45 minute -2 hour ones I was asking about, more like 45 minutes of 75% running. We do loads of sprint work, short sharp drills, a shit ton of running basically.

It's all planned out. It's a periodized plan. I just wrote what I've experienced. It's a lot of what you would expect a professional soccer player or any higher level athlete to do. Lmk if you have any other questions, I'm on here for another 30 mins
>>
>>38147665
Thanks man.
>>
>>38148014
Not the same guy. I assume you have the same general conditionning for every player but then each person has a different plan like a striker won't have the same plan as a midfielder, right? Or everyone has the same.
>>
>>38147689
Up to 2 hours? Really? What intensity though, 50% of max hr? is treadmill running bad, because whenever I started running a lot on a treadmill I got tendon injuries.
>>
>>38148070
For runners yes 2 hours is a long run; I am not sure for football players but that I don't see a reason not to do that (except if it infers with your next sessions).

Treadmill running is not bad at all, just boring; I prefer to go outside as I can't seem to go as long/far on a treadmill.

50% of HR max would be walking for me (and I assume for everyone else) I tend to do the long run at a steady pace (so not the usual easy run but a bit faster) that goes around 165-170bpm for me; but I run more on feelings than other thing.
>>
>>38148058
No you're exactly right. We do a lot of general conditioning and team trainings together, but we also have different plans to follow. Look, a centreback practicing shooting for 1 hour will probably by the end of the session have a strained groin or quadricep, but a striker practicing shooting for 1 hour will be fine. It's all position specific. So general training, and then specific plans depending on our past injuries or aspects of our fitness to improve. A lot of our strikers have a lot of shoulder, back, core and posterior chain work to increase speed and help with them holding up the ball, whereas a lot of our midfielders do more endurance work and not as much* upper body strengthening as a striker would, if that makes sense.
>>
>>38148136
Thanks. Yes definitely, so same as many sport. General conditionning, base training first then specific.
>>
>>38148014
>>38148044
>>38148136

after all you have written above, it just becomes clearer that you should not take any advice from us. we are at best hobby-enthusiasts when it comes to running.

do 1-2 endurance runs a week if your schedule allows it, otherwise listen to your actual couch/specialist, not us.

footballing can really stress your feet and cause all kind of damage, and by running you can seriously fuck up your career

I wish I could just tell you to go run 2 x 90 min runs per week, but honestly I do not know. Every runner is somewhat different, and in your case it all comes to optimising around football-game performance and depends on your field role
>>
>>38148187
I would never take advice from anyone on any online forum ever unless it's harmless advice to be honest. I always run questions through my S&C coach, and you'd be surprised, I've seen some pretty smart dudes on /fit/, I don't go here much, usually just during the summer when I'm bored once or twice a week.

But yeah learnt a lot on this thread and will pass some questions with our S&C coach. Thanks for the help dudes. Premier league in 2 years ;)

>>38148136
>>38148149
>>38148187
>>38148058

Also >>38148187 how do you mean "really stress your feet and cause all kind of damage" what part of the feet?
>>
>>38148439
Good luck for the Premier League!
>>
>>38148509
One day man I swear. Thanks.
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.