[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to Keep Gains in Outer Space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Hypothetically, (maybe not so hypothetically in the near future) how would one keep their gains aboard a space station or lunar/ other planet colony?

Obviously the effective lack of/decrease in gravity would make conventional weight training impossible. Resistance could be provided with springs/elastic bands, or artificial gravity.

With the limited diet, water, and air astronauts are provided with, it would be pretty selfish to the other crew members to use these resources in the pursuit of vanity.

Furthermore, we haven't even begun to mention the other hazards of space including exposure to radiation, osteoporosis, sickness due to changes in pressure, along with a slew of psychological conditions. And we all know how emotionally stable /fit/izens are.

So tell me /fit/, are all astronauts doomed to lose their gains and become skellies? Is the term Jacked Astronaut an oxymoron?

The only benefit I could see is the temporary increase in height due to spinal decompression, but I'm already 6'0.
>>
>>38056407
roids?
>>
Artificial gravity equal to the same gravity on earth for perfect keeping of gainz. Until then vacuums and resistance work outs will have to do
>>
>>38056407
We already have a solution to this. You build a large ring shaped space station and spin it and you have artificial gravity. We know how to do it, we have the technology, we just haven't had a need to do it yet because we aren't putting people in space for more than a year or two at a time. I'd imagine you will see it implemented in the first manned journey to mars, but idk I don't follow the space scene too closely.
This of course wouldn't work on the moon, but the meager gravity on the moon does still allow you to weight train, plus you get the ego boost of deadlifting over a thousand kilos.
>>
>>38056821
Actually a huge amount of effort has gone into weight training for astronauts on long term space missions, because being in zero gravity for a year or two having literally no use or impact on your bones would have turn them in to jello.

In short OP NASA already has all your answers
>>
File: 1446605070218.png (451KB, 726x597px) Image search: [Google]
1446605070218.png
451KB, 726x597px
>>38056407
YOU HAVE TO TRAIN IN TEN TIMES EARTHS GRAVITY LIKE GOKU
>>
>>38056407
Resistance bands and organic motion
>>
>>38056821
Yeah on paper a ring shaped structure like in halo is pretty easy and can be built to withstand the moment of inertia with materials as common as steel. The only thing is that they would have to mine asteroids to make it and a small rings start to have problems. One problem is the fact that because your body is vertical it has a shorter radius at your head than your toes. This causes less centrifugal force to be applied to your head than your legs imbalancing you.
>>
>>38056407
Post more Space Skeletons
>>
Fun fact: There's still gravity on orbital space stations. Gravity reaches very far / decreases very little with distance (Earth's gravity is keeping the moon in orbit, several million km from Earth). It just seems as if there isn't because the thing is orbiting Earth, i.e. constantly falling towards Earth and missing it.
[Relative to the station, you won't experience any effects of gravity, of course.]

Muscle atrophy is a serious concern with astronauts. They have to do physical exercise. Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzynkaHuHwY
I could have sworn Smarter Every Day had a video about this as well but I can't find it right now.
>>
>>38058164
>Smarter Every Day

Don't you mean Bigger By the Day?
>>
>>38058164
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05oOst9kZXQ
this is the video
pretty neat solution desu
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.