[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do when you fail to lift the weight?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: sonic.png (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.png
64KB, 500x500px
Last few times in the gym I have not been able to squat the 185lbs I was supposed to.

Am a beginner still linearly progressing in other lifts. Weight of 185lbs, in calorie deficit. Height of 5'9.

Have been lifting weights for about 1 1/2 months 3x a week. 3x5 meme lift scheme.
>>
>>38027274
I try again next time.
>>
>>38027274
Read Starting Strength

If you're failing at weights at just the last rep then just make sure your sleep and diet has been in check. If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that you are eating enough (4000-6000 kcals) and getting your 8 hours of good sleep then deload by 10% and keep progressing. And unless your overweight, then quit your deficit.
>>
Is it okay to not progress in weights when you are not bulking?
>>
File: 1459583069982.jpg (48KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459583069982.jpg
48KB, 960x960px
>>38027369
>4000-6000 kcals
>>
If you fail a set

Try again in the next session

If you fail that

Try again in the next session

If you fail that

Deload by 10% and build back up

Make sure you're eating and sleeping plenty
>>
stupid thread, sorry I created it.

If I fail again I will deload and build up more slowly. If I succeed I'll progress more slowly using 5 pound jumps.

will continue calorie deficit. bulking is stupid and I am fat already.
>>
>>38027479
This pic is golden

But yeah, in the beginning of your training your nervous system can make insane adaptation and if you want to get as much of it as possible, you want to eat ridiculous. But after 3 to 6 months after this progress ends, you'll cut it back down slowly to about 3500 to 4000 kcals.
>>
>>38027684
Okay, I thought you were advocating a perma diet of 4k to 6k.
>>
>>38027274
I do related warm up exercises (like I'll do goblet and split squats before back squats) heavier or another similar one with the weight that's also related but easier (hack squats, or if it's front squats, back squats), that sort of thing.

Or deload obviously
>>
I just failed twice in a row on squat.

Feels bad man but you have to keep the faith. Deload 10% and punch through it next time.

Also I feel you eating a deficit and trying to make strength gains. I eat 1200 a day (6'0 205) and my lifts have definitely suffered due to the hard cut.

Try to find a middle ground. One thing I'm trying is hard cut on off days and maintenance calories on training days.
>>
>>38027507
Yeah the guy saying eat 4000-6000 calories didnt read your whole post. That's only good advice if you're a 16 year old skelly
>>
>>38027425
>Is it okay to not progress in weights when you are not bulking?

What do you think
>>
I used to just wait for the next session like Rippetoe said. Now I just rest-pause it. i.e. I only get 4 reps out of 5. I dump it. Strip the weights. Rerack. Put the weights back and immediately go for one more. I find rest-pausing a confidence booster and a great strategy for getting extra work in you couldnt have done otherwise.

I also stop exercises/rerack weights before I feel like Im gonna fail and give myself a few seconds rest before I unrack and do the last reps.

I feel the art of pacing yourself has been lost and its lead to alot of shitty progress/injury/demoralization
>>
>>38027838
I think it's probably okay to stagnate when you are cutting or maintaining. Am I right?

What if I'm a beginner and I'm starting out by cutting?
>>
>>38027274

Had that happen on my last leg day at 175, I stalled at the bottom and had to rack it in front of qt3.14 trainers.

Gonna go back and hit 175 again, and again, and again, until I can get my 5x4.

WE GONNA GIT IT
>>
I'm a beginner too, I stalled on OHP @ 75 lbs last week and I just deloaded a little and tried to hit 5x5 using that. If not, then I would take a break and just keep trying to lift it until I got all 25 reps out.

I was able to do 75 lbs the next time with zero problems, moved onto 80 lbs and got BTFO. the OHP is a bitch, I haven't stalled on anything else except this. eat lots of food btw, I'm 5'7" @ 160 lbs and I'm on like 3000 cals resting day, and 3500 on lifting days
>>
>>38027369
>4-6k Calories
>beginner lifter
wew
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.