[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subclinical hypothyroidism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1452426195776.png (140KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
1452426195776.png
140KB, 368x368px
Alright brehs, I need your opinion on something. I've just had a random blood test and it turns out my pituitary is working overtime stimulating my thyroid to keep hormone levels normal. This is what's called subclinical hypothyroidism, and while it's not a problem on its own, it can develop into hypothyroidism if my thyroid stops responding. Should I go for T4 treatment?

Also, I recently lost 22 pounds by eating under my caloric maintenance. I have been really punishing my body, basically starving myself AND doing cardio and lifting. Could this stress have caused the drop in thyroid function? Can it stabilize itself if I eat at maintenance for a while?

I'm a 5'6 manlet, 29 years old. 167.55 pounds at the moment. I've been gaining muscle but I still have a lot of fat to get rid of.
>>
I basically want to avoid having to take hypothyroidism treatment meds for the rest of my life, even if it means taking a break from the gym temporarily.

Or should I just embrace T4 treatment and carry on as usual?

Cmon motherfuckers you're supposed to be experts on this shit.
>>
Bumpo
>>
>>37989620
>I have been really punishing my body, basically starving myself AND doing cardio and lifting. Could this stress have caused the drop in thyroid function?

Jesus Christ, we've got ourselves a real genius here.

Son, take a break from training and eat at a slight surplus for a few weeks. You've got overtraining syndrome from running at a deficit too long, it's fucked your hormones all outta whack.

BTW 22 pounds is a nice chunk of weight. Congrats on losing it but don't lose sight of the over goal, which is better health and fitness. Sometimes you gotta know when to pack it in for a while.
>>
I was fat and had hypothyroidism.
I lost 80lbs and ate clean and it is gone.
>>
>>37990279
Will do. Thanks anon.
I have an appointment with the endocrinologist, so I'll have him make me a maintenance diet. I will take it easy for a while but I don't want to gain weight again.
>>
>>37989620
roid
>>
>>37990460
>I will take it easy for a while but I don't want to gain weight again.

Son, weight loss and fitness is a 3 steps forward one-step back sort of thing. Don't be afraid to gain a five or ten pounds back. If you want a healthy body you have to keep ontop of your endocrine system, that means resting it and making sure it has all the calories and nutrients that it needs.

And make sure you're getting enough sleep. Good sleep is the rug that ties the room together.
>>
>>37989620
When I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few years ago, I hit the books to figure out if my life would every go back to normal. I had my whole gland taken out and was put on hormone therapy. I'll be on it til the day I die. But I've learned a lot about the process and I've done a lot of experimentation with my prescriptions to see what I can see.

If you've got a thyroid that's beginning to fail, it's either genetic and not your fault, or it's the result of low iodine intake. In this day and age, an iodine deficiency is pretty rare, so it's probably the former.

If your thyroid is still able to keep pace and your T4, T3, and TSH levels are all within an acceptable range, don't do any therapy. Messing with that balance will cause you a lot of trouble and it'll take a month minimum to get your shit back in order. You'll feel like shit the whole time.

That said, keep a close eye on this. If your thyroid fails on you, start hormone replacement ASAP. Failure to detect a drop in T3/T4 levels will turn you into a lump of fat sadness. I can tell you from experience that the depression just kinda creeps up onto you.

If you need therapy, it's not the end of the world. There are actually some silver linings to it.

If you don't read anything else, read the following sentence:

Under no circumstances should you ever, ever take generic thyroid medication it will fuck your shit up. Period.
>>
>>37990599
Dude this.

You have nothing wrong with you. Your body is desperately trying to cope with insane amounts of cardio and not enough calories. 22 lbs is a big chunk of weight for someone your size, and if you lost it fast, your body doesn't know what is going on.

Also. Sleep. People say being in shape is like 80 percent what you eat and 20 percent how you work out. The reality is that sleep is like 90 percent of being in shape, eating is 9 percent and food is 1 percent. You know those people who are in great shape but never go to the gym? They have tons of energy to be active and six pack abs and decent muscle definition even though they aren't huge or anything? It's because they sleep well and eat a good clean diet.

These two things will fix your hormone problems also. Be in balance brother.
>>
>>37991902
My T3 and T4 are normal, but my TSH is at 9.4

I don't feel any sympthoms though.
>>
>>37993185
facepalm

Did you ever stop to think the person attempted to increase this number with the explicit goal of weight loss….

Get to the goal OP and then get to a doc to get it back in line like the rest of the competitive bodybuilders do every contest season
>>
I have it too, OP. I haven't noticed it effecting me at all, I found out incidentally while getting other bloodtests done. I also know someone who had this >>37991902, so I know a fair bit about it I suppose.

I wouldn't be too worried if you aren't experiencing symptoms. Obviously you are getting on top of your diet, so if you notice that internet estimations of your calorie needs are causing you to gain lots of weight, then that might be a symptom of underactive thyroidism. If you don't notice, then just accept that it's an idiosyncrasy.

Even if you do need to take medicine one day, at least that way your levels will be controlled to the perfect value.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.