[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/run/ - Running General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 279
Thread images: 29

File: running.jpg (229KB, 1188x1028px) Image search: [Google]
running.jpg
229KB, 1188x1028px
Running thread since the last one died.

>post progress
>ask questions
>whatever else
>>
>>37970422
>ask questions
About what?
>>
Any anons ever get sesamoiditis? Been dealing with this shit for 9 months. Havent been able to run regularly since.
>>
Where do I start? considering a cut and implementing cardio...
should I buy special running shoes?
At what tempo should I run?
How far?
How long?
>>
File: 1468293024413.jpg (477KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1468293024413.jpg
477KB, 600x800px
>>37970751

what do you guys think about thermal compression shorts?
>>
>>37970825

>where do I start
C25K is a pretty popular program for beginners.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
>should I buy special running shoes
I recommend going to your local running store and having them analyze your gait. Usually they'll have you run on a treadmill for a little and suggest shoes based on how you run.
>at what tempo should I run
Comfortable pace. You should be able to converse with someone while running. If you aren't, swallow your pride and slow down.
>how far/how long
See above. Generally distance is more important than pace, but as you run more, you'll want to run faster/longer. Do so very gradually.
>>
>>37970870
Thank you, anon <3
>>
>>37970858

I don't know of a temperature when I would want to run in them. If it's cool to warm out, I'll wear shorts. If it's below freezing, I'll wear thermal tights (I think they're Nike pro?) with shorts over them.
>>
Trying to build mileage. Right now I'm at like 12-15 mpw.

God damn is hard to tell myself to slowwww downnnn.

Goal is sub-30 5k right now.
>>
can someone recommend a good interval based program? I know I should throw sprints into my running, but I have no idea how.
>>
>>37971434
This website has a bunch of training plans. There are versions of this plan for beginners, intermidiate, and advanced runners, so pick whatever describes you best.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/99.shtml
>>
>>37971096

Keep going dude. This time last year I could barely run a mile and basically stayed at 1-1.5 before lifting which was retarded. In the past 2 months I started doing the stair(?) elliptical and worked myself up to doing a 5k on the treadmill on a whim in sub 30. I can do 4 miles like it's nothing in about 40 now.
>>
When I started running, I could run over 10 miles, real slow.
I did a learn to run program anyway.

It isn't just your muscles and cardio which need building. You also need to give your joints/connective tissue time to catch up.

Increase less that 10% each week in mileage, and do fartleks and LSD runs.
>>
Had some knee pain after I broke my PR with a 17 mile run on Friday. My body felt beat up, but not too bad. I rested until today when I ran a 5k. I felt fine before my run today but now my knee hurts even worse.

How should I recover? I think my biggest issue was that my form broke down during my PR run and I hurt my knee. Any tips for maintaining good form during long runs?
>>
>>37970858
Is it bad I want to devour her ass?
>>
>>37971971

Ice that shit. No more than 20 minutes at a time, preferably multiple times a day if possible. Also /gently/ stretch out your legs before you ice.
>>
how do i deal with cramps in my abs when running?

also my hips get real fucking tight. is that from my flawed form or something else? rn i just run on a treadmill at night after lifting and i like to walk for a few minutes and then stretch to warmup before i start
>>
Do y'all lift weights to go along with running? Post routines pls
>>
Plantar Fasciits. Anyone have problems with it during their runs? Any easy remedies?
>>
Today I ran for ten minutes non stop for the first time. I also made 2k in 15min, and then 4k in 34 minutes
I know this is ridiculously bad, but for someone with 98kg this makes me very proud, I'm gonna make it
>>
>>37971971
Form drills.
Increased cadence/shorten stride
Identify which kind of knee pain...
Seek l/r imbalances in glute muscles, or just do bridges and leg-raise-bridges on both sides to build.
Build better hammies (DL/etc)
>>
I'm almost done with couch to 5K. I can run for about 25 min continuously at an average 5 mph. How do I get faster while keeping endurance?

Also I think the treadmill is fucking up my ankles? They are sore today.
>>
ive ran a 9:44 two mile, suck my cock
>>
>>37972040
Yeah man. Had drama for about 8 months. Roll your feet on a golf ball, run/roll your Achilles and calf before a workout and ice it afterwards EVERYTIME. Or just rest it for 3-4 months and start over. Both are shit.
>>
>>37972240
That's not a time worthy of having your dicked sucked anon. You obv try to take running seriously but your 2 mile time tells me you don't have either a) much talent or b) good work ethic. Cool post through bro.
>>
ran it when I was 16, so maybe for a 16 y/o it deserves a dick such
>>
>>37972240
>>37972774

Mad jelly mang, I run a 13:30 mile and a half. Every day is a new opportunity
>>
>>37970751
running I assume
>>
File: 1467875374495.jpg (358KB, 817x818px) Image search: [Google]
1467875374495.jpg
358KB, 817x818px
>>37970422
Running my first marathon in two weeks, any advice I haven't already heard? I'm 18 btw
>>
best shoes brehs?
>>
>>37972972
go for a training run longer than 26.2 miles before you actually run the marathon
>>
File: 1459892126931.png (239KB, 561x610px) Image search: [Google]
1459892126931.png
239KB, 561x610px
>tfw run my first 21k
What's the next step? Running 30k?
>>
I'm told cardio is the best gateway drug into /fit/. Is this true or is it a meme? Will I see gains?
>>
>>37973008
Wat m8? 35km is long enough as a training run for a marathon. You manage that ok you'll manage the extra 7 on the day.
>>
>>37972016
exhale when your foot opposite the side of where the pain is strikes the ground.
>>
>>37970422
Will I be able to recover from sprints on my off day if I'm doing SS and doing Heavy squats/deadlifts the day before and after?
>>
Doc says I have a stress fracture in my foot, it's been hurting for the last two weeks, will I ever run again?
>>
How long will it take me to get back to my running peak? For the past year I've only been running half heatedly twice a week. Obviously my times have suffered quite a bit but I want put more discipline in and get back to my sub 5 min mile. How long should it take? I'm running a high 5/low 6 min mile atm
>>
Sup /run/
beep-tester here. Started at 6, best was 9.1 about 6 weeks ago, need 10.1 minimum. Training for the last 5-6 months has been primarily 3 time weekly HIIT, but after lurking on a couple of these threads everyone is saying build a base, so I'm after a routine that works in longer, easy runs.

For longer-distance context, did an easy 5k today at the park (paved path, mostly flat), probably 8.5-9 minute mile pace and that was fine once I got into the groove (breathing through the nose is not my normal M.O, asthma + permanently huge adenoids)

So, how much to run? How often? My bro who is in the army thinks I'm crazy to drop HIIT for the beep test, but in the groove today felt a lot better than some of the higher paced shorter length runs I've done lately
>>
>>37974205
Or you can try to go faster.
long runs always need so much time, if you run faster AND shorter distances you can complete your workout much faster.
>>
squatting is hurting my cardio gains. is that normal?
>>
>>37975480
Your cardio is hurting your squatting gains*
>>
>>37972972
Running a marathon that young is not really perfect. The peak for marathon is far beyond 30. In your young years it is actually smarter to run shorter and faster. As you become older you will lose a little speed but build up endurance (if you continue training ofc). In the end the endurance is not the critical factor for a fast marathon (<2:45:00) its the speed. And the speed is much easier to gain when you are young.

So the advice would be: don't run marathon do shorter distances. If you keep running you will be much faster in your late 20s early 30s
>>
File: 2minutes.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2minutes.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>37975480
yes lifting kills gainz, in the running threads we all know that
>>
the fuck is pose running?
>>
>>37972989

asics
newton
saucony
higher end adidas
mizuno

I like asics because the fit is slightly wider
>>
>>37975193
I wouldn't drop HIIT completly. You can still do one HIIT per week.
>>
currently jumping rope every day with increasing time to prepare myself for running
>>
>>37972972

>your form is probably lacking
>you think you are awesome because you are 18
>and when you are 18 everything feels awesome
>recovery is insane
>you can get away with biomechanical blashpemy
>that protection will leave you in a few years
>>
File: 1468670894460.jpg (80KB, 396x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468670894460.jpg
80KB, 396x600px
>>37970955
I like using thermal/compression shorts to avoid bruises in my inner thighs.
>>
>>37975627
thats what I figured. As a rough ballpark, is 5k every second day too much? Too little? Mould me /run/, I'm on a cut for running gains, if that changes anything
>>
as a former swimmer here who has soft as fuck bones right now from floating in the water for 17 years, how the fuck do i get good at running?

ever since i stopped swimming a few years ago, i've tried to run and only gotten fucking horrible shin splints, as well as dealing with 4 lower body surgeries in the past few years.
>>
>>37975658
salt
>>
>>37975786

>salt

he's not wring, hangovers at 18 are hell of a lot less crippling than hangovers at 28. fucking hell.
>>
>>37975687
5k every second day should not be too much, but you need to recover from HIIT too
>>
>>37975598

Add Brooks to this list.
>>
What sort of things would everyone like to be included if I were to make a sort of sticky/guide for /run/ threads?
>>
>>37970825
>>
I've started doing HIIT last week or so, went 3 or 4 times total.
I'm trying to make a habit of going every rest day.
Currently doing 6 cycles of 30sec run and 1min rest.
I'm dead at the end but I like it.
One thing is that I'd like to make my top speed higher, when I run I dont really go fast, like my legs are heavy (after a while it's almost if, when I go to push with the foot, I'm too tired to straighten the leg and go down a bit more bending at the knee)
Is this due to my weak hamstrings?
>>
>>37975508

>???????
>every half ass can run fast enough to do a <2:45h marathon
>but most people they dont have the endurance to do it for more than 1km
>>
Ok so this is a bit of a hail mary pass, I have a fitness test in second week of august and need to be able to run 2.4km (1.5miles) in 13 mins (not hard I know but I literally do not run)
I've been putting off training for way too long and basically started last week. I can run comfortably for 10 minutes and I get 1.5km.
Quickest way for me to improve/is it doable??
I'm off for summer atm so have loads of time to prepare but I need help pls
>>
On Friday I ran 30 minutes at 10kmh. It was aight during the running, however as soon as I stopped I got a pain in my left shin along with a bit of annoyance in my left hip. During the weekend I didn't run at all and both went away, but yesterday I ran again 30mins @10kmh still didn't feel weird during the running but now my left hip is worse. I actually ran about 30mins after I did some really tiring squats. My initial goal was basically to run 30mins @10kmh 5 times a week for fat loss but my body doesn't like that. Should I increase the amount of time running and decrease the speed? I used to do about 45-60mins @ 8kmh and it was much easier, with no pain at all. So I basically went from jogging totally 6-8kms to running 5kms. What's better for fat loss? What's not going to give me pain and allow me to do it about 5 times a week? I run on a treadmill btw so my choices are increasing speed, time or inclination. Anyone worked with inclination before? Is it harder than running faster? Could it be painful possibly? Would maybe running 30mins @8kmh with a lot of incline be the same/better than running 30mins @10kmh?
>>
When do I get better at running?
I used to be in good shape and run decently. It's been 4 years since and I let myself go (gained 90 fucking pounds) and obviously I can't run to save my life. It's frustrating.
I've lost 30lbs but still can't run very well. I don't feel like I'm making progress.
>>
>was fat as fuck
>lost 30 kilos (cardio + counting calories)
>looking good
>stopped running + diet
>recent horrible realization
>most of the weight loss came off legs, still fat up top but not as much
>Legs look alright

Should i go back to running + counting calories or will it just make my legs skinnier
>>
>>37975590
a barefoot meme, tons of yt vids go check them
>>
>>37976718
The lighter you are the better you run. Keep counting calories, eat clean, lift and run every other day.
>>
>>37976562
Slow down. How much do you weigh? How long have you been running and how long have you been running at that speed?
>>
How should you be able to run on one tank of water? I'm finally getting back into running after recovering from a broken foot, but when I go more than five miles I'm flirting with heatstroke. I can't remember how well I dealt with this in previous summers.
>>
Finally made a 10 minute mile yesterday. That may not seem like much to most people, but it's been a personal goal of mine for a while (Im 240 lbs, 20-25% body fat)
>>
>>37976887
Run
Do an eliptical with resistance
Leg press too if you have gym
squat
Youll make it anon
>>
>>37977612
A 10 minute mile at 240 lbs is p good keep going senpai
>>
>>37977545
It helps if you hydrate 2-3 days in advance. Keep a water bottle with you and just sip throughout the day, it will really help.

>>37977612
Congrats bro.
>>
>>37974302
SS's focus is on adding weight to your squat and deadlift. Sprinting on off days will just fatigue you more and make it difficult to add 5 pounds every workout. If you have the time, do a tabata or something after your SS workout, and then do light cardio on your off days.
>>
>>37970858
I usually wear at school if we have to do an ab work out but at home it's either boxers or freeballing. Compression shorts make me want to shit lol
>>
>>37970422
>>>37976562
>How much do you weigh?
72 kg 178 cm
> How long have you been running and how long have you been running at that speed?
Second time at 10km, I ran once at 9km for 30m before that and 8km for 1.5 months before
>>
>>37977545
Run earlier, it sucks but makes it so much easier.
>>
>>37977821
>>37977545
You can also run later if getting up early doesn't appeal to you. I do all my major runs in the evening and usually finish well after the sun has gone down. The difference in effort is huge--while I'm struggling to run 7:30 miles in the afternoon for just an easy 30 minute jog at night I can run 6 mile tempos at around 6m/m easily, without about as much effort as what a recovery run during the afternoon feels like. Imo any run that's hotter than 75 degrees just isn't a good idea, unless you're doing a workout on the track so that you can pour water on yourself pretty consistently during recovery periods hot runs will just burn you out.
>>
File: 91OZN9lmo4L._SL1500_.jpg (170KB, 1500x1489px) Image search: [Google]
91OZN9lmo4L._SL1500_.jpg
170KB, 1500x1489px
Going to a podiatrist tomorrow, I think I have plantar fasciitis. Getting into running pulled me out of a major rut, and I'm worried it will literally kill me if I can't get back into it.

Wish me luck :(
>>
File: hentai.jpg (89KB, 750x738px) Image search: [Google]
hentai.jpg
89KB, 750x738px
>>37977810
I'm the guy who asked (not OP). Reduce your speed and make sure your cadence is on point. http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form

Sounds like you could also stand to continue losing a bit of weight. Once I dropped to 65kg (was roughly your weight before) a lot of stuff went away. Sounds like maybe your hip abductors/adductors need some strength. You maybe also overdoing it, try running every other day. Don't be afraid to slow down/reduce distance to avoid pain especially in problem areas like hips and knees. It's not worth the injury. Try a few different approaches, for example, slowing down, or improving cadence and form and see what helps. Doing core strength exercises and pistol squats will definitely help but be careful not to overdo anything.
>>
File: Phidippides.jpg (690KB, 983x768px) Image search: [Google]
Phidippides.jpg
690KB, 983x768px
>>37977612
Keep it going family. You're finna make it.
>>
Would doing Stronglifts 5x5 with a couple modifications be a good routine to go with running? I'm thinking:
-only twice a week instead of three times
-hold off on doing max weight
>>
>>37970870
Why slow down. How u gonna go fast if you just go slow?
>>
>>37972020
Most people do.
For a beginner you want to hit 1/2/3/4 pretty quick and be able to run 10k in about 45 minutes or your're doing something wrong
>>
>>37978881
Runs at conversational pace are for building base endurance. It also gives your body a chance to adapt to running, lowering the risk of injury.
>>
>>37978881
Because the most important adaptations come from lots of easy aerobic running. It takes years to build up the mileage base to become a high level runner, but only a few months each season to do the faster workouts that will sharpen for racing success. John Kellogg (really successful coach at Cornell) claimed that the ideal marathon runner would only do aerobic base building runs from 14-24 before they even thought about getting ready for races.
>>
>>37971961
>LSD runs
What are those? How do they help?
>>
>>37972139
If your ankles hurt, grab a bucket of ice water and submerge your feet in it for like half an hour. Then take a break for a couple days. This has worked miracles for me.
>>
>>37979025
just a longer run than usual at an easy/normal pace
>>
is there a beginner program for sprinting?
or what should I do to get faster

I'm doing 5 sprints of 35 secs with long breaks inbetween and I don't feel it's doing much.
>>
>>37979242
>long breaks in between

Cut those breaks down. Do 30 second sprints with 1 minute rest in between, or 1 minute sprints with 2 minute rest. Or mix em up in your runs.
>>
Is it true above 40 minutes you start only burning muscles?
I can do 30 minutes run no problem, was considering going for 1h, but if that's th case I don't think I'll do it
>>
Doing static cycling will preserve my endurance gainz for the winter or do i need to stop being a pussy and go run?
>>
>>37979323
It depends. Everyone has a certain distance where their body switches over from burning calories from the contents of the stomach to essentially eating itself. This distance can be increased with training. For me at least, I feel really weak for a mile or so when it happens (which is when my body is switching fuel), and then I start to feel normal again.

>>37979395
It's certainly better than doing nothing, but going out to run will be better for you. It will keep your joints stronger, and keep your running form better.
>>
>>37971503
How the fuck do you use the plans when joining them doesn't give them to you?
>>
>>37972016

cramps like that can be dealt with by breathing a lot deeper

tight hips suggest poor form. try being vertical and bend your knees a bit more
>>
>>37972016
Do leg raises or any other hip flexor exercise, I used to do assisted sit ups every time I ran and now my hip flexors never feel bad
>>
>>37979278
>Cut those breaks down. Do 30 second sprints with 1 minute rest in between, or 1 minute sprints with 2 minute rest. Or mix em up in your runs.
That's not sprint training then, that's VO2 max training--more fit for a middle distance runner than a sprinter.

>>37979242
First of all you need to lift lots and in addition stretch lots. Are you aiming at short sprints (60/100/maybe 200) or long (200/400)?

There's way more in this thread than I could ever help you with, take a look at it. Lots and lots of good advice in here
>http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>>37979395
Nothing is quite as good at aerobic training as running, although xc skiing might come close. You should run desu, the ideal temp for humans running is like 40-50 degrees anyways. Even in Minnesota we run outside all winter long.

>>37979323
If your intention is to get any good at running then don't bother with this limiting your runs crap. Your body does not eat itself alive. If you go to any college track meet you'll find runners in every distance from the 800 up running in excess of 60 mpw who are pretty swole. Do you honestly think that all of a sudden after 40 minutes running becomes just self-cannibalism? Just eat more and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 52098572076.gif (985KB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
52098572076.gif
985KB, 245x160px
>>37978978
>tfw started running at 24
>tfw im not gonna make it
>>
>>37978912
>45 minute 10k
>beginner
Keep dickwaving
>>
>>37979570
desu if you're not running a sub 2:10 marathon you're a hobby jogger, I'm sorry anon
>>
>>37979136
lmao I thought it had to do with the drug
>>
>>37979587
i do not remember writing desu what

>>37979605
you could fit that in somehow too
>>
>>37979415
>>37979567
Thanks, if it really increases by training I guess there's not downside to it
I don't want to eat more, since I started to run to lose fat, and to keep it down once I lost it all, I guess I'll just go on adding minutes until I'm satisfied
>>
>>37979323
You'll only start burning *only* muscles when you run out of both glycogen and fat. You can store ~2,000kcal of glycogen and upwards of ~30,000kcal of fat. If you've done a lot of long cardio you'll be familiar with "hitting the wall", or running out of glycogen. You can only exercise at a rate similar to how fast you can convert fat to energy (really slow). It's only at this point where you start burning muscle, and even then it's at such a small rate it's almost irrelevant.

Long distance runners aren't skinny because they eat their muscles, they're skinny because they don't need big muscles to be good at long distance running
>>
>>37971503
How the fuck do you use the plans when joining them doesn't give them to you?
>>
>>37979583
At least i can see my own penis, fatty :^)
>>
Hey guys I have a medical exam in order to enter a rugby club and I'll run so they can evalue me about my heart and lungs.
I right now I can only run 5k without stopping. They do not seek athletism only that I have a good heart. Any tips? Should I run more?
>>
So I run 1-2miles a couple times a week after lifting. Lately instead of my new balance running shoes I've been running in my converse all star lows. My occasional ankle soreness has gone away and generally I feel all around better running in the flat shoes, am I doing something wrong or is this a bad idea? Forefoot striker on a treadmill if that matters, don't really run seriously just trying to get some cardiovascular gains in, weightlifting is my priority.
>>
I've just started running. Furthest I can go without stopping is just over 2 miles right now but it's getting easier and I'm getting faster.

Main problem I have is eyebrow sweat getting in my eyes.
>>
>>37980376
Get a Naruto band for your forehead and run with yours arms behind your back. You'll get sick ninja gains.
>>
>>37980376
Trim them down?
>>
how good is a 23:00min 5k ?
>>
>>37981228
For an elite? An absolutely horrible time.
>>
Obese, just started couch to 5k but I feel it's not enough. I want to do more, but my heart rate scares me. It gets up to around 190 and I'm almost 30. Is this shit gonna kill me instead of saving me?
>>
>>37981314
>it gets up to 190
>I want to do more

Don't man. Jesus. This is why you ease into running.
>>
>>37981314
As someone who just finished with getting up to 30 minutes
First: while C25K is good for beginning, I dropped it when I got to half and started my own method, you'll get to 30 slower but it will be easier and more fun

After that, we can start talking about doing more, I'm considering it myself since I dropped less than half the weight I want to lose
>>
>>37981351
Should I just slow my treadmill? I'm not confident enough to run outside yet (bouncing gynos, fatty face), so I hit the treadmill at a pathetic 7mph and going lower feels like such a huge embarrassment I just keep going, then do the walking cycle at 3.

Easing in just doesn't feel like enough.
>>
>>37981351
not him, but for me, it was kinda the opposite. my bpm used to be crazy high, like over 200 bpm. and i just wasnt improving. i was still fucking winded on just running a mile at 8mph for a good month. and for a week, i just pushed myself harder than i ever did, and after that, i stopped having real problems. like just after that week, i went from running 1 mile, to running 5k at decent times.
>>
>>37981228
decent for someone who's running for fun and not competetively
>>
>>37981403
>7mph

Honestly not that slow of a pace, especially for someone just starting out. I'd recommend swallowing your pride (yeah it blows) and lowering it a bit.
>>
>>37981403
How the fuck are you obese and running 7 mph and actually finishing your set?
>>
>>37972240
My teammate ran a 9:37 3200m in a state qual meet with tons of pressure and he has type one diabetes suck his cock
>>
>>37980351
>My occasional ankle soreness has gone away and generally I feel all around better running in the flat shoes, am I doing something wrong or is this a bad idea?
Sounds like you'd be best off in a minimalist shoe. Just get something with very little cushion and you'll be fine--I imagine if you stick with converses something will eventually start hurting (or it may not) but there's no harm in getting something almost as flat as a converse that actually runs

>>37981314
>>37981351
>>37981406
max heart rate can vary a lot from genetics, but unless you have some ticking time bomb in your chest that would kill you anyways your heart is not going to explode

Also estimations for max heart rate are typically 220-Age, so it is very likely that your max heart rate is around 190. There's no way in hell you go over your max though--I've only heard of one professional runner ever managing to run themselves to clinical death and that was Alberto Salazar in the Boston Marathon. Considering that everyday there's tens of thousands of runners doing balls to the wall workouts and getting only healthier hearts as a result there's not any reason to be afraid. You're 100x more likely to die from giving up than you are from somehow exerting yourself beyond your physical limits.

>>37981403
7 mph desu is pretty solid for a recreational runner especially considering you're obese, most recreational runners I see run significantly slower than that
>>
Question, I've been running since November and went from 210 to 168, no lifting or anything like that. My problem is, you can easily see my face has thinned way out and my stomach is thinner but I still have a pot belly and muffin top even though I've gotten much skinnier. Should I start performing any particular exercise (sit ups, leg ups, etc) for definition or do I need to lose even more weight? I'm 5'8 by the way.
>>
Is a 1.5 mile mostly mental?

If it's not, what kind of running should I do to get a good 1.5 mile time
>>
>>37971503
These interval paces seem super slow.
>>37981930
Doing some upper body lifting will help make your stomach less large by comparison, but really if you've still got abdominal fat, you just need to lose more fat overall. You can't spot reduce. You might just have shitty genetics.
>>
>>37979587

Guess everyone in America, including our Olympic marathon team members, is just a fucking filthy casual. Brb moving to based Kenya.
>>
>>37982076

I'd do 5Ks to prep. Then you don't have to worry about the mental part of the test because your training runs are twice as long as the test.
>>
>>37982090
True, thanks for the advice. My genes aren't superb, I put all the fat in my chest so I have man boobs and a pot belly, but it helps that I have broad shoulders and a nice jaw line. God made me incomplete, kill me.
>>
>>37982247
5ks as fast as possible?
>>
So fuggin glad I found this

I got excercise-induced asthma, comes out when I run. I want to run marathons one day. Any advice?
>>
>>37982283
20 years old btw
>>
>>37982283

Do you have an inhaler? Use it a few minutes before you go running. Also taking the time to properly warm up can help.
>>
File: charlie.jpg (25KB, 463x454px) Image search: [Google]
charlie.jpg
25KB, 463x454px
>>37982283
Yeah man my buddy had the same thing, when you just need to run with some bros. When my friend had an asthma attack he would hold his breath until he dropped unconscious to the ground, then I would wake him up after his body regulated his breathing. Then we would keep running because we're extreme and not pussies.
>>
>>37971971
RICE
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Take a week off if this is your first time marathon training.
>>
>>37982257

Nah. Just fast enough to pace for your 1.5 mile goal. So if you need, say a 12:30 1.5, try to work up to a 26 minute 5k.
>>
>>37982438
I need a 9:30 1.5
>>
>>37982203
Meb is 2:09, he can stay
>>
>>37982457

That's pretty quick. Work up to a 20 minute 5k. Any idea what you can do a 1.5 in now?
>>
File: llplpl.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
llplpl.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Question

>School starts in 2 months
>Want to join school rugby club
>Haven't done any cardio besides 5 min of warmup jumprope before lifting

Is it possible to get my endurance up in 2 months so that I can at least keep up during practice?
>>
>>37979025
Long
Slow
Distance
>>
>>37982469

Not anymore. Doubt he or Rupp will break 2:10 this year. Doubt Rupp cares much. He might medal in the 10k.
>>
>>37982324
So that's basically all I gotta do or is there anything else? Atm I'm getting kicked out of basic training for it. Do you think cold air would be better or hot air? I live in Massachusetts, where its 20 degrees most of the year.
>>
File: 1467757248644.jpg (226KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467757248644.jpg
226KB, 600x800px
>>37982471
>20 minute 5k
>>
>>37982500
You can make good progress in 2 months. It would be infinitely better than not training any cardio lol
>>
>>37982522
would you reccommend I do sprints or long jogs
>>
>>37975873
shoes
technique
plans
>>
>>37982624
How about both? They are not mutually exclusive. Even many marathoners looking for PRs do sprints, and even many sprinters do long runs.
>>
>>37982662
kk thx
>>
its like 30 degrees Celsius in England right now, is it a good idea to run in such heat? because I don't bring water bottles with me.
>>
Hi /run/, two questions:

1) I found a plan for 21k that fits with my weekly schedule, the thing is that it's 10 weeks long but the race is in 16 weeks, should I complete the plan and after that repeat the last 6 weeks?

2) How often do you guys change your running shoes?
>>
>>37982520
I would guess also look into asthma medications, but I don't know anything about that.
>>
>>37982812
1. Keep building your base endurance for the next six weeks, with one long run a week. Then start the plan in six weeks.

2. Every 300-400 miles.
>>
>>37982754
You'll get used to it. I used to run in 50 deg Celsius (that's 125 degrees in the free world) temps and I survived.
>>
>>37970422
what are the best socks to prevent blisters on my toes, I have horrible red blisters on each toe.
>>
>>37982875
Look for something that maybe has some elastic in it to keep it snug to your feet, and obviously buy the correct size. You can get like specific left/right socks but they're more expensive and I don't notice a difference with those. If your blisters are bad enough, consider wrapping your toes in athletic tape.
>>
>>37982655
this shoe thing is just a meme

just wear what ever you have at home. Don't ever buy shoes for more than 50 bucks, even if you have the money it's a waste.
>>
>>37983024
Totally disagree. Gaits vary from runner to runner, and if a shoe doesn't provide enough support, or is generally uncomfortable or heavy, this effect will be compounded over long runs and the course of the shoe's lifespan. I've been fortunate in that I've only been injured a couple times in 9 years of running and I believe some of that is due to having proper footwear.
>>
so i run like a 5:40 mile and a 21 or so 5k depending on the route. I really prefer running medium like 1-2 mile runs, but should i just trash that in favor of long distance?
>>
>>37983084
Do you want to improve that 5k time? Then yeah, longer distances will definitely be necessary.
>>
>>37983084
You're going to have to run long distance to increase speed on longer distances.
If that's what you're not about, stick with your short runs, nothing wrong with that.

I'd incorporate at least one long distance run into your workout though, the benefits are tremendous for your endurance.
>>
>>37983024
newfag detected
>>
>>37982754
just get up really early or wait till 8pm-ish
>>
>>37983324

I run at 8 p.m. and it's still 90 degrees. October when?
>>
File: 1468350526075.png (134KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468350526075.png
134KB, 300x400px
>>37970422
Hey /runfags/ runfag here, how many of you have this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patulous_Eustachian_tube

It's where when you run, your ears (usually just my right one) feel stuffy for a moment. It happens when I sit down after I run and goes away after a while.

Also rate my running routine, it blows but I don't know how else to improve on it, halp.

2-mile walk from my house to the water.

1-mile run at around 8min/mile (sometimes more, sometimes less)

1-mile run at as close to 8min/mile

Going back, 4x 30-60's, 3x 60-120'so and long run the rest of the way back.

2-mile walk back.

Nothing I can do about the commuting there. But what about running there? I feel like I should be going 2-mile consecutive to begin than more intervals returning. I used to be able to run like a 14:40, for 2-miles, it isn't great but it is for me. Never used to run until a year ago. Always skateboarder, and was permalanklet.

>Mfw Patulous Eustachian tube
>>
>>37982521
20 min 5k is more difficult than a 9:30 1.5

>>37983084
Looking at your prs you seem pretty aerobically weak compared to your speed. With a 5:40 mile you should be able to hit a 19 min 5k, which indicates that you need to [spoiler]run moar[/spoiler]

>>37983844
I don't really understand your running routine, but you don't need one. Try this slightly simplified routine:

>run easy 30 min-1 hr

let me know how it goes
>>
>>37983844
Forgot to add that before I injured my right leg from what I think was or felt exactly like compression syndrome from running everyday, I used to run like this 6 days a week. So like averaging 24 miles a week running and 24 miles walking. Turns out I wasn't stretching and resting enough so I burned out for 2 weeks.

Also what should I do a bit night running I see cyclists there with bike lights, I run in shorts with no pockets.

>inb4 where's your PT Belt private?
>>
>>37983932
To clarify it's pre-running stretch, 2-mile walk, 10 minute rest/stretch, 1-mile at 8min/mile or less, no more than 5 minute rest, 8min/mile or less for 1 mile, 4 sets of 30 second sprints and 60 second jogs, 3 sets of 60 second sprints and 120 second jogs, jog the rest of the way back no stopping to starting point. If that makes it clearer.

Also what are the standards for d3 track teams? I think my college has d3 track and cross country. Last semester so no point in joining.
>>
>>37984011
This is just kinda silly, you don't need a routine for running. Just go run, making some kind of stop every mile isn't how you should do it. If you want to avoid getting injured then continue stretching and whatnot but don't try to fit it into your run, do it at some other time of day. And most importantly don't set some pace you need to run at--just run freely at whatever pace feels comfortable for you. My guess is you got injured because you consistently ran too fast for what you should be doing for an easy run.

>what are the standards for d3 track teams?
XC varies widely. Some schools really suck and will take pretty much anyone who wants to run. Others are pretty good but will likewise take pretty much anyone who wants to walk-on. My guess is that anyone who's already in the school and can run a sub 30 8k right off the bat as a freshman could walk-on anywhere if they are dedicated, since by the time senior year rolls around they could easily be running 25.xx just through hard work. In my conference there are even some track throwers running 40+ min. 8ks in some xc races. Track however is probably a bit more competitive, since massive distance squads aren't very conducive to good training on a 200m track. But that really depends on how good/selective the team is.

Recruiting is a different story however. Getting recruited for top schools like St. Olaf or Williams approaches the standards of some medium level D1 schools. In that regard, getting recruited to top caliber programs would probably require something like the following as high school prs:

>sub 2 800
>4:2low 1600
>9:1x 3200

But really it depends a lot. I'm on a team with both NCAA medalists and 31 min. 8kers
>>
>>37984216
whoops, I got 3k and 3200 mixed up, meant 9:4x 3200
>>
>>37984216
Thanks for the info bro, really gives me some perspective. Knew a guy who could run like an 11 minute 3200 easily and I thought that was fast.
>>
20 years old, 162 pound male, 5'9.
stats:
200m: 25 seconds
400m: 64 seconds
1200m: 3m 40s
1600m: 5m 45s
3200m: 12m 19s

honestly i dont think im "suited" for either sprints, mid-distance, or long-distance.
but my goal currently is to run a faster mile. so I know that's probably something 75% aerobic 25% anaerobic.

one of my friends (who runs 800m and 1600m for a D1 school) said if i wanted a faster mile, and to expect it to be steady but still reasonable progress (2-3 months of training) to stick with this program he created:

one day of 4x300m @ 0:50
one day of long run (3-5 miles, at 70% intensity)
one day of speedwork, 3x60m at however fast i can go

beyond just losing weight, is this a reasonable plan for somebody with my stats who wants to hit a sub 5:00 mile within 3 months?
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 288x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 288x349px
>>37970870
I was running with a friend, cause buddy pt is best pt. At the 2mile mark a sharp pain shot through my left calf. I had to limp back and now 2 days later simply jogging to the end of my driveway causes me slight pain.

Wtf did I do and how do I fix it?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>37972902
Aye, poolee
>>
>>37977612
head for that 8 min mile bud
>>
>>37986090
If that 200 is true, work on dat sprint. Your 400 is shit and i could beat that with 9 seconds to spare in Middle School. Same with your 1600.
>>
>>37982283
fellow asthma here
what are you on, medication wise? get a preventer. Mine has Fluticasone Propionate (250ug) and Salmeterol (25ug) in it. Salmeterol is your standard reliver/preventer you get in Asmol/Ventolin OTC, but the Propionate is a corticosteroid (/fraudgeneral/). I got bumped up from a 125ug Propionate to a 250 and things have been a LOT better. Shop around.
>>
>>37972911
You don't have to spoon feed the illiterate bro, if he can't comprehend that'sthat's his fault
>>
>>37986186
Looking for an answer to this as well
>>
>>37979025
Pop a tab of acid, then run.

>2016
>not running on acid

You must not want to make it
>>
>>37979567
Pls be in st paul
>>
>>37972020
Mon: full body
Tues: run
Wedn: full body
Thurs: sprints
Fri: full body
Simple as that. I train for the police force, so maybe bodybuilders want it to look different.
Also know of people who simply jog to the gym, train, then go for a longer run home
>>
>>37970422
trying to run 3 times a week for my boxing training, however i always suffer from pain/cramping kind of feeling in the arches and sides of both my feet. I've been running in new shoes for a while so it can't be that. Any suggestions on changing technique or correcting this?
>>
>>37981228
For the average person it's pretty damn good. Considering the world record is like 12 minutes or something.
>>
>>37986675
No, I just don't want to end up hit by a care, molested by niggers or beaten to death by cops. Or all three. I just want to run.
>>
>>37986186
Sounds like you maybe strained a muscle. Do you remember landing on your foot weirdly or anything? Anyway, take a week off of running, and ice it frequently. RICE, my guy.
>>
>>37987867
Sorry feel asleep. I will recall the story as best I can. I'll abbreviate to keep it short.

Me and a friend were jogging because he ships soon and I just found my love for running ( slightly heavyset guy who wanted to lose lbs but ended up loving jogging)

We get to the park - paved asphalt nature trail. Beautiful day clear sky.

We take off. I'm taller so my stride is longer. leaning forward slightly, head up, trying as best I can to strike the pavement with front of my foot - sometimes I land slightly on the outside of my foot.

I look back and he's 50 paces behind me, so I slow to an actual walk. We do this thrice over. Finally I get tired and stop choping my steps. I open up and sprint across the stream into the sun. Winded I look back to see him plodding along - so a get into a plank to work dem abs. He comes up and we jog again. After awhile I feel the usual tightness, but this is nothing new.

Than sharp pain, like baseball bat to the calf level of pain. I wobble and fall off the road. He plods up, helps me up, and seal team carries me back.

I rice as best I can but it lingers
>>
Yesterday managed to get 10km at 59:00 in a treadmill,PR, I've been running for 3 weeks, that's the good, now the bad:

I've been trying to finish 30min running sessions each time increasing my speed 0.5km, I've been stuck at 11km/h for a week.
How to get better, run faster for a shorter period or just do LISS for a long time? Stats: 185 cm, 97 kg, 27%bf
>>
Any tips regarding breathing? How j should go about regulating my breathing during runs?
>>
>>37988923
0,5 km/h increase is quite a lot, maybe try slower increasing if you are stuck.

at 97kg I think LISS is still the best idea. Maybe 5kg before you change to other training
>>
>>37986090
did you try to run 200m at full speed?
these stats seem to be made up for me
>>
File: 400350000[1].jpg (16KB, 367x388px) Image search: [Google]
400350000[1].jpg
16KB, 367x388px
>>37983320
shekelfag detected

just keep believing what the merchants tell you.
Or you're a fatass, those guys atually need good shoes
>>
>>37977612
Good job keep slinging that weight

Question: why do I finish pieces stronger than I start? I can go 15-20% faster in the last 5 minutes of long run than I do for the majority of it. Is it psychological?
>>
>>37989340
I did experience this too since i became older.
"Old" runners sometimes need a really long warm up, like 30min for a 10k race
>>
>>37986090
>who runs 800m and 1600m for a D1 school
you mean 1500?

This is a pretty bad plan, 4x300 is extremely close to your 400 pace and so that workout is just going to tear you apart for no reason, it's hardly suited for a mile

Your "program" should just be to build up mileage plus three of these days

>Cruise Intervals
2 mi wu
8x800 in 3:26 1 min. rest between reps
1 mi cd

>Pace work
Alternate every week these two
2 mi wu
5x600 @ current mile pace 3 min. rest between reps
1 cd

OR

2 mi wu
10x400 @ current mile pace 2 min. rest between reps
1 cd

Start both of these at the pace of your last mile race and every two weeks after you've done both workouts bump up the pace a little bit

>Long run
20% of weekly mileage, you're not going to break 5 until this is 8 miles long my guess is

If and only if you feel good in the middle of the long run pick it up for 15 minutes at the fastest pace you can handle that doesn't increase your breathing rate or cause lactate buildup in your legs

Not sure why your D1 friend came up with such a shitty miler plan

>>37986678
Sometimes I am desu

>>37989340
your body warms up which leads to more efficient running economy/mechanics, this happens a lot to me too (and to pretty much everyone as well)
>>
I want to go jogging every day, but I'm a bit of a sperg and I live in the city so it's impossible to avoid people. I'm anxious about people judging me, pls help /run/.
>>
>>37974309
You'll be fine. Just don't run again until it's completely healed.
>>
>>37989340
Seems like the first mile or two when I go running are slow, due to generally being stiff and my body not in run mode. Then I get into a groove and feel pretty good. During the last mile I know the end is close so I'm willing to push it a bit.

>>37989662
Go early in the morning when people aren't awake. Find a secluded trail or path. Run on a treadmill if you have one.
>>
>Run, swim and go to the gym to lose weight
>Get closer to target weight
>Gym instructor recommends I run less and do aerobics after my gym workout
He's building me a new plan because I'm pretty clueless but it's not the first time I heard about it.
>>
Training because in the next few years I want to do an Appalachian Trail hike thru.

Doing miles with a weighted vest. +50 lbs right now for 2 miles, then I run just regularly around 5-10 a day

It's more stamina building since there's not a lot of hiking joints around my house, but any recommendations from ya'll with those goals in mind?
>>
>>37983932
>having trip
>not killing yourself
pick one
>>
>>37990570
Pls stop with the weighted vest. You're just killing your knees.

Do hills instead.
>>
>tfw Nike doesn't make the spikes or shorts I used to wear and love anymore

Ree
>>
>>37970858
If you're doing an intense workout in the winter, then go for it.

In my experience, so long as you're going hard and warm up properly you won't even notice how cold it is.

However, for a long run in cold temps, stick with leggings.
>>
>>37972989
Saucony Kinvara is god tier. Light and neutral, and it's held up to all manner of shitty trail/weather conditions.
>>
>>37975744
If your bones are as wiggly as you say they are, I might recommend you just go do some extended walking first, and combine that with lifting.

The best way to train against shin splints is to just take it easy and don't overdue anything.

A tip for shinsplints I once heard was to tap your foot in place until you can't do it anymore. I haven't done it in a while, but maybe it's what you need.
>>
>>37974206
you won't exactly get big from running but you'll feel amazing
>>
File: friendship ended.jpg (159KB, 1220x652px) Image search: [Google]
friendship ended.jpg
159KB, 1220x652px
>>37970422
someone showed a picture of my ex so I finally did w3d1 of couch to 5k today

is it a meme program, or is it good?
>>
>>37978753
why's that nigga doing yoga?
>>
>>37991235
>handholding template that helps beginners run 5k
how is it a meme
>>
>>37981930
abdominal fat is usually the last fat to go.
>>
>>37991258
I was thinking maybe it was too easy, leading to a waste of time, or something
>>
>>37991235
I did it, it works.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (34KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
34KB, 300x200px
That feel when being lean is better than being bulky body builder style.
>>
>>37976504
Monday: hard track workout, something like 3x800 or 2x1600 for you, warmup and cooldown
Tuesday: recovery, run at a comfy pace for 30 mins or so
Wednesday: More speedwork, but not as intense as monday. Something like 400s would be great here, 6 would work for you
Thursday: same as tuesday unless you want to do a fartlek run
Friday: Fast day, 6 or 8 200s
Saturday: Long run, try to get at least 4/5 miles in
Sunday: Rest
Other than that just keep your diet right (no soda/greasy junk food like pizza), drink lots of water, and get good sleep.
>>
>>37991309
i like looking at myself naked in the mirror, but do you actually get mired with clothes on when you don't have big arms and shoulders and stuff?
>>
File: 1423342710136.jpg (13KB, 551x394px) Image search: [Google]
1423342710136.jpg
13KB, 551x394px
>>37989653
this is a really solid post gj
>>
>>37988552
Is it in the outside of the calf or inside? If on the outside it might be what I think I had. I posted a bitweet like yesterday. See if your symptoms match "compartment syndrome" might just be from overuse. Random fatigue and pain from overuse could hit out of nowhere sometimes when you're feeling that runners high.
>>
>>37981746
>>My occasional ankle soreness has gone away and generally I feel all around better running in the flat shoes, am I doing something wrong or is this a bad idea?
>Sounds like you'd be best off in a minimalist shoe.

That's one possibility, but maybe the NB shoes just don't fit right, or have motion control that ill suits him, etc.
>>
>>37990825
Not a lot of hills around my house, I'm out in the boonie plains. Is weight vest that detrimental?
>>
Do you guys do your runs before or after lifting? I guess I'd run before/after depending if I want to focus on my run or lifts. But what if I'm lifting 6 days/week? I want to run more than a day a week.
>>
>>37992233
Lift after running, but part of that is because I care more about running and don't go as hard as I possibly could with my lifts.
>>
Any recommendations on running shoes guys? I know some of you guys don't like nikes or stuff like that, but I just need something under 60 bucks that i can get either online or academy/mall etc
>>
File: 230495872346.jpg (150KB, 1200x520px) Image search: [Google]
230495872346.jpg
150KB, 1200x520px
>>37992186
It is. The general consensus is that unless you are training specifically for something requiring a weight vest (army, etc), you'd better avoid it.

Since your focus is on hiking, working on endurance or even speed in hills should be the best approach imo.

Without hills, I don't really know, maybe try the treadmill or long-ish intervals (mile or so).
>>
>>37992950
Add stairs to this list. Surely >>37992186 has stairs somewhere around.
>>
>>37982865
>I used to run in 50 deg Celsius

Where and for how long?
>>
>hurt left ankle a month ago
>walked too much i think
>achilles tendon feels weak, can hear/feel a squishy noise when putting pressure on foot (like going downstairs)
>tried running once a couple of weeks ago and the pain increased the day after
anyone ever have something like this before?
>>
I fucking suck at running

I get shin splints so easily

How the fuck do I get to enjoy running?
>>
>>37991283

C25K is great for newbs. It's popular because it works.
>>
>have GERD
>makes anything except walking and light jogging near impossible, run out of breath quickly
;_;
>>
>>37989653
I remember 8x800 and 10x400 in track. rip.
>>
http://pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG

I made a very basic FAQ, sort of a sticky that can be included in /run/ threads. Let me know what I should add to this and how it can be improved.
>>
Started running a couple weeks ago, doing a beginner regiment which was more walking than running, run a minute, walk a minute, repeat. I started upping my run time but my hips have started hurting pretty bad. I can barely finish out a 30 minute run and my legs hurt for at least the next couple of days.

I'm the least flexible fuck I know but are there any stretches that could help with this? Inner hip if that helps any.
>>
>>37970422

>Cross Country Running.

Ah, running.

I loved it so much.

Used to run 10K Monday through Friday, rest on Saturday and Sunday.

Such a great time of my life.

Had to retire running, and I switched over to Swimming.

Much better for my joints.

*Sniffle*
>>
>>37994155
Seems good so far ese. Thanks for making.
>>
>>37988552
If you've just started running, that sounds like you're running too fast. How far did you go? How much had you done in the previous week? Stretches post-run?
>>
I want to run to burn fat. I don't have enough energy to actually run until I eat some carbs, though. This feels like it's defeating the purpose if I'm just burning through the carbs and not the fat. Am I worrying too much about this?
>>
Army fag here, why is it that after the first two events of the PT test (2 minute pushup and situp) my legs feel like jello the instant they say go for the 2 mile run even though they feel fine the nano-second before?

>trail run I did this morning for PT
>>
>>37995258
Your body will burn through carbs first, and then switch over to fat. You'll have to go on long runs (I would guess around an hour?) to burn any fat, but it will happen eventually.
>>
>>37995258
Yes and no,
just don't eat the carbs bro

But even if you do, you'll be getting fitter in the grand scheme.
>>
File: 700.jpg (23KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
23KB, 600x606px
>>37970422

>tfw beach running

I was out during the dark, the moon was out, shining on the sea

It's so fucking comfy, brahs
>>
Whats the best steroid for 5k times?
I'm fat and slow but i want to crush 18 minutes before i die.
>>
>>37995820

Blood doping (drawing your own blood at the height of training and putting it back into yourself ahead of the race) is the best way to cheat.
>>
>>37991235
C25k is good. Keep pushing through.
>>
>>37975898
>>37975898
>avoid pounding

How? How do I know that I'm not running light and how to run light?
>>
>>37991235
It leads to you being able to run a 5k by gradually increasing time spent running compared to time spent walking within a 30-40 minute period
I bet you think SS is a meme don't you
>>
What are the perks to running?
>>
>>37997551
If you have to ask, you're probably fat.
>>
>>37997565
>probably
I'm not, got a beer gut at best.
>>
Hey /fit/. I'm training for the 1600m, and I've got a question concerning the optimal routine.

Is it better to run three days HIIT + two days of easy runs per week or two days HIIT along with three days of easy runs?
>>
Will I make gainz running 7miles 5x a week
>>
>>37997362
Land on your toes, for an easy example off of the top of my head watch sage canadays YouTube videos for a good example. His heel doesn't even touch the ground depending on the terrain.
>>
>>37997580
Well then git gud.
>>
>>37997598
That doesn't sound sustainable for more than 5 minutes though
>>
>>37997666
you don't run on your toes you just land toes first. well, ball of your foot, really. and then you let your heel come down.

land on your heel and you use the tibialis anterior muscle to control your descent. tib ant is a tinky little muscle compared to triceps surae (calf muscles on the back of your leg that absorb toe first impacts.

which seems like a better loading pattern? thin reedy muscle? or big chunky muscle?

forefoot strike whenever possible when running. walk heel to toe, though. walking on the ball of your foot is a sign of the autismo. srs.
>>
>>37997725
Shit I actually walk barefoot on my toes a lot cuz it feels cool. Regular shoes outside I walk heel to toe though...
>>
>>37997864
you'd do it even in shoes if it were autism related.
>>
how to into warmups?
>>
>>37995553
Not true. Your body burns both carbs and fat for energy right from the beginning. You run out of carbs first and then you burn fat alone
>>
>>37998156
Not quite true.

You run out of glycogen, then your body starts making carbs from acetone, glycerol, and protein.

I mean, it does this all the time, too, but it ramps it up once it's out of glycogen.

Not enough to work like glycogen, though, which is why you bonk.
>>
>>37998008
walk a bit, jog a bit, walk a bit, jog a bit. repeat until you feel like running.
>>
File: dindu warmup.jpg (630KB, 3612x2376px) Image search: [Google]
dindu warmup.jpg
630KB, 3612x2376px
>mfw only realized at age 25 that warmups aren't a meme
>>
>>37997595
If you plan on ever running back. A decent mile you'll need 5-6 days a week running with some 2x a day easy runs. Your HIIT will have to take a back seat. Maybe 2-3 a week if you HAVE to. Why target such a hard race if you only want to run 3 times a week?
>>
>>37997362
You'll hear yourself pounding into the ground man. That's how you know. Watch/listen to some other runners when you're out there and you'll see where you are at. To help yourself run lighter you'll have to slow right down and shorter your stride. By shortening it you'll spend less time connecting to the ground. Try those 2 things and see if it helps.
>>
>>37995291
I wanna guess at nerves perhaps? Your brain freaks out and makes you feel fatigued before you actually are. It's the opposite of when o used to race. I felt tired and lethargic until the gun went, then my legs felt great.
>>
>>37998321
**ever running a decent mile.
>>
Anyone here that wears Nike Free 4.0/5.0? Would you recommend them?

I need a pair of trainers both for running and for work, I've looked at other recommended running trainers but desu I don't like how they look.
I know how they look has absolutely nothing to do with how they feel when running but I'd prefer trainers that look nice.
>>
Holy shit, lads. Just got my first pair of running shoes. These things should be illegal cause they're like celtech for feet.
>>
>>37998569
What shoes did you get, and how expensive?
I think I need some running shoes too because I'm just using some cheap Nike shoes I initially bought for general use
>>
>>37998581
They're new balance 860's.
I dont know if they're actually any good as I'm coming from some old nike sneakers that had finger size holes in the sole. I got them for $80 aud but at half price.
>>
>>37995291
what app is this?
>>
>>37971961
Are you army?
>>
>>37997725

Landing on the balls of my feet makes me sprint though
>>
File: jan_frodeno.jpg (121KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
jan_frodeno.jpg
121KB, 800x533px
>>37970422
272+1 replies in /run/
has /fit/ come to it's sense? Finally talking about something else than troll routines, tfw no gf or protein shakes.
>>
>>37998393
I had teammates who seemed to like them, but personally I'm somewhat wary of Nike running shoes.

>>37998601
Garmin Connect
>>
File: 1.jpg (925KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
925KB, 3264x1840px
79 kgs currently , coming from 102 kgs, after maybe 1 year of running periodically and cutting. So yesterday I jogged 8kms on the morning at a regular pace for the first time after a 3 weeks break due to being sick as fuck , legs still ache like a bitch.
Today I'm in for a date running uphill for about maybe 7 kms up and 4 kms downhill.
Am I going to die ? Or ached legs will still work properly after warmup?
Will post pics after I come back of the view , hoping for at least a clear landscape of the city.
Pic related, yesterday date lunch.
>>
>>37975898
I started to I run on the balls of my feet, and I actually find it harder to run by striking my feet in the middle or even the heels.

Is this okay? Will my ankles/knees turn to a fine powder in a short time?
>>
>>37999585
You should be fine. I don't think a forefoot strike usually causes problems.
>>
>>37999075
I sure hope so, research like this helps

http://ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html

>implying you cant do HIIT to get within those guidelines, so that you wont even have to lose your gains and test

Best of both worlds really. And my vague memory tells me that there are a few other pieces of research that tell how running is good for you. The lower resting heart rate is also one of them things.
Thread posts: 279
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.