[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there weights --> calisthenics carryover?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Bodyweight fags keep saying stuff about how bodyweight has great carryover to lifting, but how about lifting to bodyweight carryover? E.g. will doing bench press make me gud at advanced pushups, do deadlifts improve my pullup, or will getting a good OHP help with handstand practice? Etc.

I've been playing around with calisthenics for the last few years, training for strength and general fitness. From skinnyfat and not being able to do a single pushup, I can now do intermediate stuff like archer pullups, perfect one-arm pushups, pistol squats with a 15lb dumbbell, etc.

I'm asking because I want to try lifting for a change. I want to get on Starting Strength or StrongLifts for a month or two, mostly because I want to try something new, also to learn about lifting and how maybe I can integrate it into my fitness regimen in the future (BW + lifting makes you godly, so I hear). But for the first 1-2 months I plan to focus on just lifting and my usual cardio, so I don't half-ass so many things at once like some crossfit fag. Or will I need calisthenics sessions once a week or so to maintain the skillz?

Also, I look somewhat like pic related now. I don't count calories or TDEE or macros except maybe protein sometimes. Will lifting improve my aesthetikz? I'm partial to any build between ottermode and pro gymnast.

Plz help. I've read the sticky and this /fit/ stuff looks really exciting, especially the part where it turns you gay.
>>
File: 1466383626939.jpg (137KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1466383626939.jpg
137KB, 736x1040px
High test skeletor here.

I can already do over 15 reps from most calisthenics exercises including dips and can't do one of the harder calisthenics like one arm stuff (although I did a one armed chinup today).

Fuck your "carry over," some people are just wasting their time with calisthenics.

Requesting calisthenics graphics anyway please.
>>
Weightlifting hardly has any carry-over for calisthenics
>>
>>37921237
>lifting to bodyweight carryover
Yeah, you'll lose all your muscle

that is what carries over
>>
Yes, doing exercises that make you stronger will improve your performance in strength-related tasks. How could it not? Why would it make a difference if the resistance comes from bodyweight or a barbell?
>>
>>37921281

OP here. I can't do one arm chins either, or muscle ups, or freestanding handstand pushups. But look around and there is always a progression.

>>37921385

I don't even lift. You mean when I start lifting I will gain all kinds of muscle?

>>37921388

That's good to hear.
>>
ya of course there is
>>
File: POSTER FINAL-page-001.jpg (303KB, 601x1600px) Image search: [Google]
POSTER FINAL-page-001.jpg
303KB, 601x1600px
>>37921281
>>
If you gain weight calisthenics will become harder. I used to do 15+ full-ROM chin-ups not kipping before I started to lift weights, but after I started squatting and getting heavier (~6kg) I could only do 8-10, despite the fact that my rows were improving, which means my back was certainly stronger. When I stopped lifting for a couple of months, my legs atrophied, and suddenly I could do 18 chin-ups, never felt lighter.
>>
File: anson.jpg (89KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
anson.jpg
89KB, 736x1103px
>>37921237
In a lot of advanced bodyweight exercises, it's not neccessarily the strength of your major muscles that makes them difficult.

Your joints, tendons and smaller muscles play a heavy role in bw, and are often the weak link that prevents progression, even when your larger mucsle groups are ready.

This is why it takes longer to build up big muscle doing bw, because you must build tons of strength in your tendons, joints and smaller muscles first, so you can apply more leverage to the bigger muscles.

Hope that makes sense.
>>
>>37922467
A lot of these progressions are good but progressing to one arm pushups is retarded.

You're much better off starting planche progressions before that.
>>
>>37922605
isn't it much safer than weight training for this very reason?
>>
>>37921237
After starting calisthenics my bench went from 185 to 205×3
Front squat went from 185×3 to 205×3
OHP went from 115×3 to 135×4
Back squat went down 10lb
>>37921281
You have to do progressions man you cant just do high reps and expect to get really strong.
>>
>>37924720
Not him but not necessarily, you can pretty much fuck yourself up just by doing push ups with bad form, or trying too hard (such as planche or whatever).
>>
>>37924720
It's still easy to fuck your shit up if you try a progression you're not ready for.

Try an iron cross on rings and enjoy your extended vacation in Snap City. Even going too hard on planche leans, especially if you're overweight. can cause issues.
>>
>>37924720
No. Weight training is very safe and it'd be especially difficult to get injured if you intentionally progressed as slowly as BW does.
>>
>>37924720
No, it's equally unsafe, just in different ways.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.