[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INTERMEDIATE HYPERTROPHY TEMPLATE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

Every day I see people coming on here asking what the heck they're supposed to do after Starting Strength or a similar beginner's program. There are plenty of good strength programs to move on, but if the main goal is to get swole, the standard recommendations seems to be just "ppl", which is pretty ridiculous because the routines people come up with are fucking terrible, and basically just an arbitrary collection of exercises, sets and reps.

So I decided to throw something together that might actually be useful to these people.

Pic related.
>>
>inb4 fag trappy shows up and shits on this out of jealousy
>>
>>37265687

Utter shit. Please never post this again.
>>
>>37265687
You made this yourself op?
>>
>>37265722
I did. If you have any questions/something's unclear, just ask.
>>
it's alright
>>
File: 239.jpg (32KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
239.jpg
32KB, 500x494px
>>37265736
I actually am a newbie. I mainly lurk because I'm starting to get /fit/. Right now I'm dieting and going to join a gym soon. I just wanted to commend you for taking the time to make this. This board needs more people like you and less of
>>37265715
Thanks op. Saving this for when I get to lifting
>>
Pros
>frequency for each muscle group
>exercises

Cons
>not enough working sets on most. 4 minimum
>schedule may not allow 4 days gym a week, or may not even want to. Id compress them into 2-3 days. Maybe 2 days main lifts and 1 accessory/lagging muscle only day
>rep ranges. Should stay between 8-12 and sets 3-4
Other than that its not terrible. Most important is nutrition anyway
>>
File: goattower.jpg (594KB, 922x1382px) Image search: [Google]
goattower.jpg
594KB, 922x1382px
>>37265687

Nice one op.

I'm gonna use your thread to ask some questions. I did SS and then stronglifts for a while and I'm having trouble progressing so I'm not sure if I hit my peaks with these routines. My stats are as follows:

Squat: 5x 105kg
Deadlift 5x 110kg
Bench 5x 65kg
OHP 5x 45kg
Barbell Rows 5x 42.5kg (I can never progress on these fuckers)

Could it also be that it might be better to take a week off if my muscle can't regenerate all the time properly? I never did so far and always went three times a week. (AxBxAxxBxAxBx)

Also how do you improve your grip strength? When I deadlift over 100kg with mixed grip I sometimes have to take a fresh grip for the fourth and fifth rep.

Thanks in advance.
>>
inb4 trappy-faggot recommends his retarded workouts based on TM

you could do Madcow 5x5
that's my plan once I reach 1/2/3/4 on my novice program
>>
>>37265802
I appreciate the feedback, but I think you're missing a couple of things.
First, the main strength of this program lies in its periodization - something that you don't even mention.
Second, there's more to rep ranges than you seem to think. For maximum hypertrophy, you need to work in different ranges. Take it up with Brad Schoenfeld if you don't agree.

You're right that 4 days a week might not work for some people, but it's hard to cram more work into fewer days without compromising quality of the work you do in the gym. Remember that this is meant for somebody coming right from SS. It makes no sense to try to double the daily workload.
>>
post a pic of your current physique, OP
>>
>>37265873
Unless you're a really small person, I'm going to have to say that it looks like the problem might be with your diet. Has your bodyweight been steadily increasing?

>how do you improve your grip strength?
A simple trick is to do one additional set of deadlifts with a little lighter weight, and then just try to hang on to the barbell for as long as possible on the last rep. You can do this for most pulling exercises e.g. on the last rep of your rows, just stand up and hold onto the bar until you can't anylonger.

>>37265900
Sorry, I'm anon.
>>
File: 1460004853174.jpg (224KB, 509x786px) Image search: [Google]
1460004853174.jpg
224KB, 509x786px
>>37265687

I's ok.
However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this point for a few reasons:

-> You have not programmed in progression.
-> You have not programmed in the difficulty of the sessions (% or RPE or similar).
-> Too much focus on stuff that doesn't matter (rep ranges), too little focus on stuff that matters (the weight used, the volume, the progression)
-> Appealing to the "hypertrophy" and "get swollen after SS" meme. I understand marketing is important, but basing it on memes just makes it look unprofessional.
-> There's no skilltest or 1RM attempts. This is ok, but most people who are jumping into a periodized program want to test their max eventually.

It's a good first attempt at periodization. But you should read more on programming and fix the issues with the program.
I recommend the following reads:
Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe and Baker
Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Kraemer
Supertraining by Verkhoshansky and Siff
http://strengtheory.com/complete-strength-training-guide/
The "routine tips" section on http://fitsticky.com/novice-programs
Study the periodization scheme from different successful programs http://fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs (Sheiko, C6W, Nuckols, 5/3/1, are good places to start)

If you fix the program and it looks good in the end, I might add it to the fitsticky website.
You can always find me on the /routine general/ or /plg/ threads if you wanna talk or show updates. Alternatively you can contact my email through the fitsticky website.

>>37265873

Read the "getting stuck and getting unstuck" section on http://fitsticky.com/novice-programs

>Also how do you improve your grip strength?

Deadlift holds, farmers walk, weighted pullups/chinups, Deadlifts and paused DLs, thicker bars, etc...
>>
>>37265923
>Sorry, I'm anon.
so? we're not asking for your face. you made a new routine for intermediate lifters looking for hypertrophy. if you can't demonstrate that you've made significant gains in hypertrophy using your programming then why should we give a shit?
>>
>>37265923

well I'm 174cm and when I first started doing something I was around 57kg. I then gained 14kilos in a year, and now I gained maybe 4kilos again in half a year then stayed the same while my lifts still increased a little. But I guess i just have to eat again until I can't anymore to improve on the lifts. Sucks though
>>
>>37265687
>le hypertrophy meme
>not enough upper body pulling vs pushing
>absolutely retarded reverse periodization for some lifts
>no weak point targeting
>no clear progression scheme

Yeah, no. Kys
>>
>>37265938
I suggest you read it more carefully, pal. It's all there. Undulating and linear/Western periodization hybrid combined with a step-loading pattern.

And I've read all of those. I like the books by Bomba too.

Yeah, I debated with myself whether to include RPE, but it was already getting a little too complicated for most folks was my reasoning.

1RM attempts have no place in hypertrophy training.
>>
>>37265993
>Bomba
>>
File: 20160207_162143-1-1.jpg (342KB, 569x883px) Image search: [Google]
20160207_162143-1-1.jpg
342KB, 569x883px
>>37265943
I understand your thinking, but this is why people come asking for Kinobody's programs or to be more extreme some people even do Rich Piana's 8 hour arm workouts. The principles behind the program are sound, no matter who put it together.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of pics lying around, but I think this one is the latest. It's from February, I think. You'll have to excuse the front cam quality.

>>37266017
Tudor Bomba. That's his name, even if it's weird.
>>
>>37266044
>That's his name
no, it's not
>>
>>37266061
Oh sorry, haha. Bompa, then.
>>
>>37265687

Nice effort OP.
But why don't you just do a program like Lyle's Generic Bulking routine if you want to get swole?
This program is around for ages with proven results and by one of the most creditable guys of the whole fitness industry.

Also trappychan claimed that Lyles Bulking routine is shit which is another indicator for how great it is because this retarded mentally ill faggot has no idea of lifting besides repeating some SS textbook knowledge.
>>
File: 1463811199241.png (136KB, 426x549px) Image search: [Google]
1463811199241.png
136KB, 426x549px
>>37265993

>I suggest you read it more carefully, pal. It's all there. Undulating and linear/Western periodization hybrid combined with a step-loading pattern.

No. It looks like you got lazy midway through and gave up on properly finishing the program, and are using "well it's for hypertrophy it doesn't need details" as an excuse.
All it's there is sets and reps and a vague suggestion on when to add weight.
This is not good programming.

>hypertrophy training

Let's keep the memes out of the discussion please. You claim you're well read, you should understand this.

It's fine to leave 1RM attempts out, it's just something most people are gonna expect when they hop into a program that requires 4 weeks of their time.

Again, this has potential to be something decent.
You can choose to further work on it so that it reaches the potential, or just stay lazy and try to justify the laziness with memes.
>>
>>37266101
>Also trappychan claimed that Lyles Bulking routine is shit which is another indicator for how great it is because this retarded mentally ill faggot has no idea of lifting besides repeating some SS textbook knowledge
Sold me on that alone tbqh
>>
File: 1456459813082.jpg (27KB, 263x217px) Image search: [Google]
1456459813082.jpg
27KB, 263x217px
>>37266101

>Also trappychan claimed that Lyles Bulking routine is shit

Did I also say the earth was flat?
I've always said Lyles is ok >>37261380
>>
>>37266044
Joocy m8. Have you always used this routine? Also are you a /fraud/er?
>>
>>37265715

It's a push/pull structured program. It's literally fine.
>>
>>37265687
>because the routines people come up with are fucking terrible, and basically just an arbitrary collection of exercises, sets and reps
Thank you for adding another arbitrary collection
>>
>>37266149

>Also are you a /fraud/er?

You really think he's gonna admit it when his credibility is getting questioned?
>>
>>37266104
Honestly I'm kind of offended. I sincerely think that you'll find that it's more well thought out than it might appear at first glance, if you sat down and thought about it for a minute.

There's a clear progression in load from microcycle to microcycle, which is going to be the main driver of progress.
On top of that the undulating reps will keep progress rolling for longer without too fast accommodation.
It should be clear when to add weight (every 4th week). If it's not, just ask.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about hypertrophy training being a meme. I'll maintain that it's very much possible to train with hypetrophy as your main goal.

>>37266149
It's a flattering picture. Not going to post one without good lightning, because as >>37266178 points out, people need to think I'm huge before they'll take any of this serious.
>>
File: 1461691818300.jpg (106KB, 634x739px) Image search: [Google]
1461691818300.jpg
106KB, 634x739px
>>37266197

>Honestly I'm kind of offended

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Your program is beautiful and you don't need to change anything.
You have put in all the information needed and everything else that's not there is not important.
It's perfect as is and I'm sorry I even alluded to it not being perfect.

>mfw thinken bout you hurtin
>>
>>37266197
>add weights every fourth week
U wot
>>
>>37266236
Lold , degenerino
>>
>>37266236
Kek
>>
>>37266236
S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
>would fug u thou
>>
>>37266236
You arrogant cocksucker. The appraisal of the newbie dyels in the retarded "routine threads" got to your head. Fucking delusions of grandeur.
>>
>>37266236
will he ever recover?
>>
>>37266341

>anyone saying OP's routine isn't perfect is an arrogant cocksucker with delusions of grandeur

OP please.
>>
>>37266236
Whoa trap, I underestimated you. Well done.
>>
>>37266356
The point is all his points of criticism were refuted, but that was promptly ignored, because he likes being the King of Routines.
>>
>>37266465
>king
Mind your nouns shitlord
>>
>>37266465

No they were not
>>
>>37266465
pls check >>37266238
>>
>>37266465
more like

>the point is I wanna be the King of Routines so I disregarded all his points of criticism and just chimped out because he dared to criticize my already perfect work
>>
>>37265687
>http://www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/
>>
>>37265953
I'm 173 cm, my lifts have also stalled around this point
>>
>>37266505
Let's take the bench press as example.
You do it 2 times per week.
The 1st time, you do add a substantial amount of weight from week 1 to week 2 to week 3 - More than you could hope your strength would increase in such a short time span. But while the weight does get heavier from week to week here, you don't actually "add weight" to your personal best. That doesn't happen until 4 weeks have passed and you start over.

The 2nd time you simply stick with a fixed weight and focus on getting more and more reps with this weight. Until after the 4th week where you start over at the lower number of reps again. But this time at a heavier weight.
>>
>>37266554
>I wanna be the King of Routines
Yeah that's why I'm anon, dumbass.

Look, I came to help. The program is solid. Take it or leave it.
>>
>>37266622
>I created it therefore it's solid

trappy started as an anon too, fyi
>>
>>37266622

You really do deserve this >>37266236
>>
>>37266622
>I created it therefore
No, it's solid for all the fucking reasons stated already at this point.

Just wanted to help with all these threads daily about what to do after SS, but now because of all this shit, I have a feeling nobody's going to want to take my suggestion seriously.

I'm going to try posting this again tomorrow, hope somebody who can use it sees it.
>>
>>37266682
>No, it's solid for all the fucking reasons stated already at this point.
except it's not

>Just wanted to help with all these threads daily about what to do after SS
I'm pretty the options are already laid out

>now because of all this shit, I have a feeling nobody's going to want to take my suggestion seriously.
Thank god, because there are better options.

>I'm going to try posting this again tomorrow, hope somebody who can use it sees it.
aka: I'll try posting it tomorrow, maybe nobody who knows anything about anything will see and criticize again
>>
>>37266017

Bomba is delicious. I truly pity people who do not have one nearby.
>>
>>37266612
Even on my shitty 3x8-12 format i was able to progress in weight every 2 weeks. There is literally no reason some one on a surplus should have to wait 4 weeks.
>>
>>37266612
>benching 2 times a week
>maxing out reps everytime
>adding weight after 4 weeks
>>adding weight only after 8 benching sessions
>repeat
wtf nigga, do i need to make it more clearer than this?
is that a shitty cardio tutorial? cause i have seen better shit on youtube

whatever float your boat man
>>
Most people know fuck all about designing programs and make tons of fundamental mistakes when trying to do so.

Most people dislike OP's program.

OP's program is probably pretty good.
>>
>>37266854
nice try OP
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.