[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Fitness Myths That You Used To Believe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 29

File: 1457297512688.jpg (124KB, 750x723px) Image search: [Google]
1457297512688.jpg
124KB, 750x723px
>your routine was more important than your diet
>girls didn't like gains
>girls didn't like muscles
>milk was good for you
>you needed 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
>Peter Park was huge in Spiderman after he got bit and had his transformation
>Muscular dudes were very, very stupid
>>
>fat is bad
>carb heavy eating is healthy
>high reps are goods
>>
Milk is good for you
>>
>That I couldn't make it.
>>
>>37192930
That's nice, but who's the cherry fairy?
>>
>>37192930
who is this fluid druid, i want to make sweet love to her and lick her sweaty butthole
>>
>>37192930
Who is this semon demon?
>>
>>37192973
No, it isn't. Now go back to bed or I'll get your daddy to fry your magical circuits.
>>
>that you burned a ton of calories when excercising, enough to negate an in n out burger
>that you did high reps to get toned and low reps to get big
>you needed to work out everyday to make gains
>that sucking dick even if you said no homo was gay
>>
>>37192930
>>you needed 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweigh

This.
>>
>it's a /fit/izen states "facts" but doesn't explain why thread
>>
>>37192930

>reading the sticky helps
>>
>>37193056
I want your cock in my ass no homo
>>
>>37193042
And its bad because?
>all that vitamins
>them proteins
>those calories
in 1 cup.
>>
File: spiderman-tobey-maguire.jpg (288KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman-tobey-maguire.jpg
288KB, 1280x720px
>>37192930

>Peter Parker was huge in Spiderman

He's actually bigger than I remember him being desu.
If he posted in a cbt he'd get mired.
>>
>>37193144
It's bad cause vegans
>>
>>37192930
>Running is hard and will kill gains
>Good posture isn't that important
>You absolutely need a barbell to make gains
>Getting up at 5am to work out is more important than getting 7 hours of sleep
>Training grip strength is a meme exercise only good for bass guitar players
>You shouldn't need anything else to motivate you
>It's fine if you just chug a bunch of water at one point throughout the day to get enough water in you
>Stretching before running is good
>Supplements are bad for you
>>
File: Kiritsugu-fighting.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kiritsugu-fighting.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>37193144
Don't make your mother repeat herself.
>>
>consuming brotein is gay
>cardio is mandatory for losing fat
>losing weight is hard
>"I worked out for 10 minutes, I deserve a slurpee"
>>
>>37193154
Nolats mcgee
>>
>>37192973
You forgot a meme arrow

OP said this one already btw
>>
>>37193227
Explain what makes it bad please
>>
>>37193273
do women like the nolats look? they all seem to cream over brad pitt.
>>
File: protons.png (83KB, 420x301px) Image search: [Google]
protons.png
83KB, 420x301px
>>37192930
>protein
It's around 1.5g/kg
Burgers just fucked it up because they are retarded
>>
I'm a DYEL and am having a hard time decifering what's bro science, what's fact, and what's told in sarcasm, but intended to fool noobs like me
>>
File: 1432550657981.png (768KB, 2143x1912px) Image search: [Google]
1432550657981.png
768KB, 2143x1912px
>>37193324
>do a beginner routine
>count calories and eat as much as you need to reach your goal

Done now go lift
>>
File: listen to your mother.jpg (44KB, 959x540px) Image search: [Google]
listen to your mother.jpg
44KB, 959x540px
>>37193294
Because your mother says so.
>>
>>37193351
/r9k/ please go
>>
>>37192930
>1.5g/lb
I thought Geneva convention prohibited that
>>
>>37193273
You don't need lats when you stick to walls automatically and shoot webs instead of flying.
>>
>>37192930
she is just...... P E R F E C T
>>
>>37193294
Because the way it is mass produced introduces way more estrogens into your body than milk ever has in the past. If you got your own cow, yeah, enjoy milk to your heart's content, otherwise just stick to water
>>
>Doing reps of 6-7 did anything
>>
>>37193309
Also. Should be lean body mass. Not gross.

I.e. 80kg @15% body fat = 100g of protein.
>>
>alcohol isn't that bad for gains
>girls don't like asses
>squats are the best exercise (lol)
>training calves is like training any other body part
>wrist curls are the best exercise for forearms
>1/2/3/4 is strong
>>
>>37193345
Thank yuo kind sir
>>
>>37193851
>training calves is like training any other body part
explain?
>>
>>37192930
When I started lifting at 15 and until I was 17 years old, I ate 300g of protein each day because I believed it was necessary for maximum gains. I ended up farting a lot. There was no /fit/ back then to tell me how stupid I was, only the retarded bodybuilding forum with its broscience.
>>
>>37192930
31 year old oldfag here. I started training in 2002 and the internet was a primitive wasteland of shitty information at the time. If you wanted concentrated information on training and nutrition, you went to bodybuilding magazines and books (which were and still are largely controlled by the supplement industry, as is bb.com, etc.)

So I had a great bro science mis-education and believed in all of the following myths at one point or another:

1. The insulin meme:
A. Insulin makes you fat
B. Carbs are the only thing that release insulin
(Both wrong)
2. Getting conned by the 1g per lb protein meme invented by protein companies/weider publications
3. Not realizing every single model in every ad for every supplement company is on steroids and most have never even used the supplement.
4. The 6 small meals for weight loss meme
5. Not realizing it's calories in, calories out in general
6. The complete protein meme; not realizing how our bodies absorb and use amino acids
7. Believing we can only use 40g of protein at a time.
8. Thinking that you NEED to train heavy and do compounds like squats (it's optimal but not necessary; you can do other things if injured and still make progress).
9. Falling for the bro split meme.
>>
>>37193890
It's fucking hard to get gains
>>
How about...lifting/fitness culture in general?

I am fucking SICK of bluepilled gymcels talking about how aesthetic guys "hurr just work harder", or yakking on about routines, diets and other irrelevant shit when IT'S ALL FUCKING DOWN TO GENETICS.

When I was in school, a Chad went from skinny to a great physique in a matter of TWO MONTHS. This is the sort of thing gymcels work for YEARS to achieve, and he got it by messing around on MACHINES, doing BICEP CURLS, and eating WHATEVER HE WANTED. Hell, he STILL looked better than most roided gymcels, because of shoulder to hip ratio, muscle insertions, I.E THE THINGS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER.
>>
>>37193851
>squats are the best exercise (lol)

I would say that it actually is the best exercise overall, but it's not a must do exercise for lower body development as some people tend to believe. Can easily do without it and make great gains, but I don't see why one wouldn't do it, unless one has back/knee problems that prevents one from doing it.

I personally can't squat because of lower back issues, and the leg press as my main exercise is giving me similar leg gains to when I was able to squat.
>>
>>37193890
they just don't respond to much. i suspect that no one really knows how to target them properly. evry guy i've ever seen doing calf work has shit calves, and every guy i've seen with good calves never did any calf work.

there must be some way to grow them but fuck, i've never discovered it. still trying.
>>
>>37193144

Maybe saturated fat content, but if you're doing gomad and lifting hard during the day it isnt even a big issue
>>
>>37193948
disappointed at LACK of the word PIZZA
>>
>>37193942
Post body.

Thanks.
>>
>>37192930
>a muscular man will always get girls
>bodys like Jeff Seids or similar are worth 1-2 years of lifting
> diet is more important than training (inb4 "it is")
>>
File: 1428336254782.jpg (24KB, 346x250px) Image search: [Google]
1428336254782.jpg
24KB, 346x250px
>pizza is bad for you
>you can't be healthy an any size
>being big isn't beautiful
>weight loss is as easy as calories in, calories out
>>
>>37194112
not even memeing, diet is more important than lifting in terms of how you look physically.
>>
>>37193628
underrated
>>
>Cardio doesn't ruin your gains.
>>
>>37194141
No its not. You can build an amazing physique with a semi-shitty diet.

You cant build a good physique with a perfect diet and a shitty workout.

Think about it, lifting is the initial reason for your body to even consider start building muscle.

As long as you are in surplus you are good to go, its not optimal but it works.

I've seen it on myself (shitty diet but hard training when i started).

All the skinny fags in my gym are always the ones who workout like complete fags, they dont even sweat ffs.
>>
>>37194141
That is true; however, I think the importance of how you train is being downplayed. I think using a proper program can make all the difference in the world, though not as much as a proper diet will. But with the diet in check, making sure your program isn't bad, is important.

A program using fluff weights and only machines is going to give much worse gains than a program focusing on progressive overload and heavy compound lifts (i.e. 5x5 with accessories).
>>
>>37193531
(You)
>>
>>37194112
lift all you want, if you eat shit and a lot of it, you will never be lean and aesthetic.

unless you're a skeleton
>>
>>37194300
Depends on when and how much you do it. 30 min jogs on your resting days and eating 500 cals more will be okay senpai.
>>
>>37193087
But the sticky said 1.5g/lbs if you are cutting?
>>
>>37194386
how long have you been lifting?
>>
eggs are healthy
>>
>>37193154
Holy shit he was fucking small! Is that even ottermode?
>>
>>37193687
What about yoghurt?
>>
>>37193978
I took a powerwalking class in college since I needed to take a gym class and I noticed them getting bigger over that semester, have you tried walking/running?
>>
>>37194529
Whoops, meant to respond to >>37194003
>>
>>37194003
Ready to have your mind blown?
It's the way we walk.
Guys with XBOXHUEG calves walk with a strong plantar flexion and as such have "trained" their calves all their lives. Guys with shit-tier calves like me don't walk with our calves and don't have the lifetime of training it takes to get huge calves. It's called plantar amnesia or something.
>>
>>37193309
But the graph you posted says about 1.8 g/kg is best. Protip: when trying to disprove accepted wisdom, don't post something that contradicts your statement.
>>
>>37194551
>Guys with XBOXHUEG calves walk with a strong plantar flexion
Not that guy. What do you mean by this? That I flex my feet considerably when I lift it up while walking?
I have muscular calves and, like he said, I've never worked them out. I just started doing calf raises but just because it helps with ankle flexibility.
>>
File: ayylmao4.jpg (12KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao4.jpg
12KB, 600x450px
>my heart condition kept me from strenuous exercise
>Just basically didn't eat to keep from getting fat

lmao I was stupid as fuck
>>
>>37194136
here's your (you)
>>
>>37193144
stupid shitskins on /fit/ can't digest it properly, so its bad.

us white people can keep drinking it just fine though.
>>
>Only one scoop is needed.
>>
>>37194698
Even lactose intolerant people can drink it with lactose pills. I'm white but have been lactose intolerant my whole life, and those let me eat dairy like crazy.
>>
>>37194481
DOTH THE STICKY LIE??
(i actually have no fucking idea, commenting so someone answers this)
>>
>>37192930
That I could, given enough time, get jacked just using bodyweight
That excess muscle (a developed body) was utterly pointless because it would require more nutrition and more oxygen than I really needed
That too much exercise would stunty intellect (sort of true, if you spend all day lifting without learning you'll get bigger without becoming more intelligent. Sort of bullshit, regular exercise has been proven to enhance the function of everything including your brain)
>>
>fat people actually have a lot of muscle from carrying the fat around
>>
>>37194783
That's pretty much unnecessarily high, it's just a rule of thumb for beginners to make sure they're getting enough protein
>>
>>37194920
So how much is enough per lb of body weight? What do you replace the daily protein intake with? Carbs?
>>
>>37194961

no study has ever found more than (i think) .75-.8g/lb to have any effect
>>
>working out when you're young stunts growth

Fuck me
>>
>>37194003
Have you tried just going about normal shit like walking/biking or cleaning or doing chores but with weight added? I know big fat dudes usually have huge calves and I was always under the impression that it was because they always had to move all that weight around. Of course, I'm talking about the fat guys that actually get out and do shit, not the fat shits that just sit around all day doing nothing cause they usually have no legs. I've got cousins of each type. The one that's actually active used to bike with me all the time, and he was a fucking monster. He literally shattered a few sprockets/gears(not just breaking teeth, these things were in pieces) and fucked up chains because of how strong his legs are, and I haven't biked with him in a while but God damn I've always been mirin those calves.
>>
>>37194501
I was going to ask that, too. I've always been under the impression that guys just starting out or just been lifting like shit for a year or 2 can generally get away with a dirty bulk like that, but the longer you lift, the closer you'll have to look at your diet.
>>
>>37194984
Would you say 1g/lb is good for everybody, even beginners, to get enough protein? That would probably make it easier for beginners since it's one less thing to worry about, cause I'm sure it's pretty easy getting 1g/lb every day especially using shakes.
>>
>>37193345
can anyone recommend a starter program from the beginners list? theres so fucking many i cant choose...
>>
>>37194618
bicuspid aortic valve?
>>
>>37193144
milk is only bad for you if you don't express lactose dehydrogenase as an adult. about 85-90% of people don't. in fact, almost all adult mammals don't express LDH as an adult because milk is baby food. but if you can drink milk without any bad side effects, then you are fine. literally everyone who says milk is bad for you is lactose intolerant and mad about it.

that said, I don't really like milk. I only use it for cooking

>>37193209

depends on how hard and how far you run. if you are at collegiate cross country level - minimum 70 miles a week - then finding time in the day to run, exercise, and eat while going to school/working is very difficult without losing gains or dropping mileage. most people think that 4-5 miles is really far, so doing that daily is nothing. only takes 35 minutes or so
>>
>>37195388
sorry for your loss, but I see your repeating digits

but lifting too hard when your bones are still growing can fuck them up. I never played football, but one football coach broke the growth plate off his femur while lifting in high school. one leg is much shorter than the other. talked to another with a similar story. seems like you don't want to go too crazy until you're pretty much done with puberty
>>
>>37194585
google plantar flexion. its the act of pointing your toe that's it. You push off the balls of your feet when you walk people with naturally skinny calves don't.
>>
>>37196730
>plantar flexion
I'm a pretty skinny guy but, going off google images, that's how I walk. If I put on weight would my calves start turning Godmode?
>>
>You only had to put 2 ice cubes up your ass after a good workout
>>
File: 1463101265912.jpg (39KB, 449x546px) Image search: [Google]
1463101265912.jpg
39KB, 449x546px
>>37193209
>training grip is good for bass players
I'm a bass player and that is bullshit, everytime i deadlift my hands get numb for the following hours and I get insane doms in my forearms the days after, all of which make practising uncomfortable af, even after warming up I feel that I'm not playing my best
>>
>>37195594
>no study has ever found more than (i think) .75-.8g/lb to have any effect
>Would you say 1g/lb is good for everybody, even beginners, to get enough protein?

What don't you understand? it will not have any impact at all, apart from making yourself feel better while wasting your money on protein powder
>>
>>37198017
after taking a nutrition course I don't really think protein powder is necessary at all unless you really can't get protein from normal food. you don't need much protein to build muscle and you body would rather catabolize carbohydrates and fatty acids over protein.

unrelated, but you don't need to eat right after you exercise. your body won't eat itself. its not like the last time you ate was three weeks ago
>>
>>37193154

This is my goal body now (plus lats) ty for posting
>>
File: retard reward.jpg (106KB, 489x400px) Image search: [Google]
retard reward.jpg
106KB, 489x400px
>>37192973
The milk you drink is milk flavoured water
Go to bed now
>>
reminder that it varies from person to person whether or not milk is good for you. fucking hippocrates understood that 2500 years ago why don't you?
>>
>>37192930
Who is this demen semon?
>>
>>37193531
explain?
>>
>>37192955

all of those are true
>>
>>37195486
Post the story where you end up sucking him off
>>
>>37193890
Calves don't grow when lifting weights, they respond to extremely high reps like cycling.
>>
>>37198473
idiot, post a pic I want a laugh.
>>
>>37192955
Last 2 are not wrong either
>>
>>37194551
That sounds like an excuse made up by people who never got on a bike, I mean my calves aren't huge but biking every other day with high resistance will get you calves
>>
>>37198635
Yep, I lurk /fit/ because I'm thinking about getting into lifting but I only really do cycling for exercise. I have calves and thighs, everything else has no muscle.
>>
>>37194551
Personally feel there's truth in this, I started running a few months back and got myself retrained to hit the ground properly while doing so. That in addition to fixing the way I walked (I had a bad habit of walking on the outside of my feet and turning my heels inward and toes out) has given me small yet noticeable calf gains.
Anywhere I go that's under 3 miles I just walk as well, so it's likely a factor as well.
>>
>>37198707
I think walking uphill can build calf muscle
>>
>>37198017
No, I understand what was being said. My bad, I guess I just worded what I was saying badly. It was more of a "can everyone just get 1g/lb a day and just call it a day so you don't have to really keep an eye on your protein intake" kind of a question. One less thing to really keep track of, which doesn't seem like much but one less thing is one less thing. It was a bit of a stupid question too.
>>
>>37198720
The walks to work and the gym are 2 miles almost entirely uphill, I can definately feel them more after fixing my stride and foot placement.
I still do heavy calf presses on leg day, but I just really enjoy nailing the hell out of them and then taking a stroll back home with them on fire.
>>
>>37198580
Not into incest or fatties or guys, just jelly of his calves. Stop projecting.
>>
>>37194003
Heavy power cleans.
>>
>>37195857
yeah i dunnno... i tried gomad for a month. i tried the cheapest option whole milk, grass fed whole milk, and the one that just says no artificial hormones added whole milk. I've gotten diarrhea and the shits on all of them except the cheapest one. it's weird. Also the longer you drink milk, the more your body gets used to it (produces more lactate enzyme?) it felt like if i stopped drinking it for a couple days, the next time i had milk, id get diarrhea. this is all anecdotal obviously
>>
>>37198760
That's how I am. It's lactose intolerance. If I don't drink milk for a while, it will fuck my shit up. Gas and bloaty, indigestion, feeling like I'm about to puke, nasty shits, but if I drink it for a while and just power through, I'll be fine after my body gets used to it again.
>>
>>37198780
yeah, when i started drinking it for my training, i was bloated and gassy all damn day and night, diarrhea shits... then it just got better.
>>
>>37193144
dairy gives my sweat a fat white person smell (sour)
>>
>>37194395
what are accessories?
>>
>>37198834
At least it's not like that black guy BO (A soggy hoagie with onions that's been left on public transportation for a few hours)
>>
>>37192930
>>37193087
This shit. In a day I can eat quark for breakfast, chicken breast for both lunch and dinner, then a can of tuna with some cottage cheese post workout, while drinking like some milk throughout the day. After all this I'm at like 170-200g protein, which all these fitness calculators think it's too little.

Gains are much better now than when I drank whey instead of just eating real food though. Don't fall for the supplement shills
>>
>>37192985
>>37193024
>>37193028
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1u1uDq_MUw
>>
>>37195654
go with starting strength desu
I went with the first link in the exercise section of the sticky, the one named "Starting Strength", and upped 3 reps to 5 but kept everything else the same
did squats at the smith machine first month because I was scared and deadlifts not at all (same reason), but I got the courage/muscles to do them properly afterwards (started full lanklet 6'1" skelly)
>>
>We're all gonna make it

biggest lie around
>>
>>37194112
>believing diet is less important than lifting

Jason Blaha go home
>>
File: image.png (47KB, 547x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
47KB, 547x465px
>>37195654
I had the most fun and best results with this.
>>
>all these people with milk issues

I drink milk and have literally 0 issues. No diarrhea. I don't feel bad.

I thought everyone was like this?
>>
>>37199188
you do God's work my friend
>>
>>37199528
Apparently you thought wrong, seeing as how most people have trouble with milk until their body gets used to it.
>>
>>37199528
Feels good being white doesn't it my brother
>>
>>37199496
Seconded - I started with it too and really enjoyed it
>>
>>37199267
>That You Used To Believe

If you ever believed that, you are exceptionally retarded
>>
>lifting will help me deal with my autism
>>
>>37200077

>most people have trouble with milk

Non-white detected.
>>
>>37192930
>you needed 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
H-hold on, I don't?
>>
>>37195784
Yep. I do an hour of cardio twice a day and mix up my 3x5's depending on day now. Not super fit yet, but I'm getting there and my doc is floored at my progress.
>>
File: frustrated doctor.jpg (30KB, 220x275px) Image search: [Google]
frustrated doctor.jpg
30KB, 220x275px
>>37200550
That's a misprint, should be:
>you only needed 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
>>
>>37195547
It doesn't really matter that much and time really isn't a factor. If you get enough calories and keep an eye on your protein and fat intake, then you will make gains.
>>
>>37199528
>Drink liters of milk everyday

Feels fucking great.
>>
>>37200550
more like 1.2 - 1.5 grams per KILOGRAM of bodyweight.and if you're a fatty with bf over 15% you should reduce that even more,since fat is almost metabolically useless.
>>
>>37199030
That and curry niggers are the worst!
>>
>>37193324
Ive been lifting for 5+ years. Had I been to this site when I started I probably would have had an injury/done roids/never made any gains. Leave and return when you educate yourself. Torrent nutrition books or exercise books and learn muscles and proper form. I studied kinsesiology/anatomy and physiology for 3 years. Then took a few courses on nutrition before I started lifting. I was 21 then . I started to study all that in uni at 18.
>>
>>37200755
Any books on nutrition you can recommend? Something for the layman that don't want to get to technical about it but wants general agreed upon (to the degree that is possible) scientific knowledge on nutrition.

And what books on lifting is worth reading? After SS and practical programming

pls respond
>>
File: 1371050077952.gif (1MB, 700x306px) Image search: [Google]
1371050077952.gif
1MB, 700x306px
>Abloo abloo milk is the devil stop drinking it
>But Pajeet, I can drink it just fine
>HUMANS ARE NOT MEANT TO DRINK MILK SHUT UP YOU'LL GET DIARRHEA
>>
>>37200755
You just delayed someone's road to success by years, more likely forever.

People are just looking for an excuse to shirk anything that takes effort, and your post is like poison to anyone weak-willed, who will say "Oh well, can't start if I'm not an expert yet!" and then never get around to actually get a fucking PhD in nutrition just to start something that even CHAD is able to do.

90% of both broscience and real science is irrelevant to a layman and a starting athlete.
You just eat your caloric needs and do a beginner routine.

Done, you're swole by the whole world's standards in like 5 months, despite /fit/ calling you DYEL even then.
>>
>>37200755
But you didn't postpone lifting on purpose did you?
>>
>>37200620
>>37199528
>>37195857

What if you drink milk without lactose? i'm trying GOMAD and i have the oposite effect, i shit so hard my ass bleed
>>
>>37193144
milk gives me acne

therefore fuck milk
>>
>>37194698
shitskin reporting in, drink like 1-2l a day for calories #6ft6 lanklet :(
>>
>>37200540
White as all fuck. I mean I guess only half really... Dads side is Polish/Irish, moms side is Native American/Filipino(aka nigger of Asians). Still the whitest dude I know, skin like milk, but I can get a pretty nice tan in the summer.

Anyway, going off track with that. Dad is lactose intolerant as fuck, mom drinks milk all day err'day and has never had a problem with it. 99% of the people I know are white and have trouble drinking milk on a daily basis.

Your body apparently stops being able to properly digest milk as you get older, and it's supposed to happen to everybody, so I'm not really surprised by any of it. What does surprise me is the shit that says it's irreversible and to be able to process it properly you need to take lactase in some form since your body won't produce it any longer. That doesn't make sense to me because of personal experience, since I'm lactose intolerant but if I drink milk and power through the shits and nasty feelings, I'll eventually be completely fine. I don't like to rely on just my personal experience for something like this though cause every study points to otherwise and I don't think I'm a special snowflake that can magically up my lactase production, and I can't really say the studies are wrong, since there isn't anything I've read that proves otherwise. Do you think you could point me in the right direction? You're probably more informed than I am.
>>
>>37193056
fucking THIS

how did this get to be so perpetuated? I've heard it from my high school gym teacher, my dad, and of course my dumb friends. What is the fucking deal here? Was there ever any evidence to suggest that this was the case?
>>
>>37200603
Sorry, "get away with it" meant "can still progress and look relatively good while doing it" since beginners that go on a dirty bulk like that are going to make good gains regardless as long as they follow a good program and get in enough nutrients, but someone that's been lifting for a few years following a good program with proper form has a decline in amount of muscle gained putting in the same work, so they'll need to look closer at their diets to look better while still bulking. Perhaps just bad wording, but I was attempting to say it without a wall of text since I tend to ramble.

Thanks for the info, though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>that you need whey to make gain
>>
>soya milk would give me bitch tits (i can't drink milk)
>>
>>37200633
this so around .6-.8 per pound
>>
>that protein was a supplement that you "take" and not a food that you incorporate into your diet
>>
>>37200642
Oh maaaan yeah they're bad. I've got a few friends that like to occasionally eat curry, like once a month if even, but they STILL smell really bad if they've eaten it recently and work up a sweat. I don't trust something that makes you smell that bad through sweat alone after eating it. It'd probably make me shit my brains out to be totally honest, and I get the nasty Ring of Fire from eating wings if I haven't had them in a while so I don't even want to test it out. Doesn't even smell like it would taste good either.
>>
>>37192930
>milk is good for you
>1.5 g of protein per lb
These are true though
>>
>>37192930

Running up to 10 miles a week will make you lose gains.

>I run about 8-10 and haven't lost any
>>
>>37194003
I always walk on my toes its more a defect than a habit but i got the steeliest steel calves of steelcity
>>
File: 1458370380610.png (178KB, 573x495px) Image search: [Google]
1458370380610.png
178KB, 573x495px
>>37193978
>I personally can't squat because of lower back issues

>scoliosis

>can't squat, DL or a bunch of other stuff
>back is mostly bodyweight stuff (pull ups, inverted rows)
>even leg press gives me a sickening twinge in my lower pack, so stopped that

i'm the guy in the corner doing lunges
>>
>>37201819

The idea is that low reps = hypertrophy and high reps = cardio
>>
>>37202000
Not really. Individual foods are rarely 'good' or 'bad' for you it must be taken in context with diet. A sedentary fat person should avoid milk because it's energy dense while an active skinny fag would probably benefit from drinking more milk. As for protein the general consensus is that anabolic effects peak around 0.03 oz per pound (0.4 g/kg) of body weight. Anti-catabolic effects increase well beyond that though so someone on a cut should be ingesting more protein.
>>
>>37199496
Gonna have to support this too strength and muscle increased hugely as a beginner even when cutting.
>>
>>37201783
>white as all fuck
>50% white
I've got bad news for you friendo
>>
>>37202288
I'm just saying look/attitude-wise and how I present myself. That's why I added in the other half, because I'm well aware of where I come from. I've also got the immune system of a whitey apparently, since I have a pretty rare auto-immune disease/arthritis that shows up almost entirely in white males. I just have all the luck.

>>37202056
I added that bit because I saw this. I was diagnosed with my disease nearly 3 years ago, got into a total funk and literally stopped everything I was doing. It starts in the lower back/hips (specifically SI joint) and presents itself in mostly lower back pain in the beginning. It travels completely up the spine as it progresses though, and you get inflammation and feel pain throughout your entire body. It also has the potential to completely fuck up anything that connects muscle to bone/bone to bone.

I'm still in a bit of a funk over it cause the news hit me like a ton of bricks, but I'm somewhat getting over it now and I'm making an attempt at being more active once again, eventually starting lifting again. Is there nothing you can do to be able to squat/DL/etc? Like, work up to it way slower than someone without back problems? My main problem is that with my shit I'm SUPPOSED to be more active because activity lessens the pain, but I'm in too much pain to even start in the first place. Shit sucks, but I'm gonna force myself to get this shit done and eventually get to the size I want. I saw someone post it as a myth in this thread, but I refuse to believe it so I'm saying it : We're all gonna make it, brah. As long as you go for maximum effort, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it. Not making it is a cop-out.
>>
>>37194108
Are you implying he's wrong? Because he's 100% right.
>>
>squats and oats everyday
>eat no more than 3 oz of meat for every meal
>white rice is bad
>>
File: my_calves_or_lack_thereof.jpg (1015KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
my_calves_or_lack_thereof.jpg
1015KB, 2560x1536px
>>37198635
>they respond to extremely high reps like cycling
WRONG
t. cyclist
>>
File: fae.jpg (21KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
fae.jpg
21KB, 600x630px
>>37192930
There is someone for everyone

hold me /fit
>>
>>37193273
>>37193303
You can't even see his lats from that angle because he's not raising his arms, fucking idiots.
>>
File: Crying.jpg (55KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
Crying.jpg
55KB, 645x773px
That was I did was >no homo
>>
>>37202802
What did you do? As long as the balls didn't touch, it wasn't homo. You don't HAVE to say no homo, but it makes some people feel better so you can if you need to say it.
>>
>>37202780
This guy is right. You guys are tards
>>
>>37199528
Only thing I think it affects is my backne
>>
>>37192930
>girls didn't like gains
Wait whats wrong here, isnt this the case?
>>
>>37203731
I thought it was that most attractive women DO like guys with muscles/nice bods, but just having a nice bod isn't gonna give you a free pass on a shit personality/autism.
>>
>>37193890
Uphill endurance cardio bby.
>>
>>37193942
Can u explain the 1g/lb body weight meme. What's wrong with getting my bw in protein?

Also, if someone starts eating 6 small meals/day how would that not be beneficial to weight loss?
>>
>>37203800
I mean i can honestly say i dont think it matters one single bit because of the following reasons
1. Girls cant really tell the diffrence between "hot" and "fit"
2. Girls once again cant really tell the difference between fit and visible abs
3. Girls dont flock around guys who are jacked, they flock to guys with social status (these do happen to coincide sometimes)

Im not saying girls dislike it but i am saying they dont care/cant tell
>>
>>37203877
>What's wrong with getting my bw in protein?
You arent eating anywhere close to 80kg a day in protein mate
>>
>>37192930
>she would take me back if I got /fit/
>>
>>37203954
too soon
>>
>>37193948

Why is everyone mocking biceps curl on this chinese cartoons board ? They're great.
>>
File: 1460743196721.jpg (162KB, 1280x842px) Image search: [Google]
1460743196721.jpg
162KB, 1280x842px
>>37202480
>Ankylosing Spondylitis
iktfb
>>
>>37198707
>I had a bad habit of walking on the outside of my feet

I have almost the same walking style. How'd you fix it?
>>
>>37203922
I mean What's wrong with trying
>>
>>37193940
mfw im skelly af, started gym 2 weeks ago and i do this lmao. How much should i eat then?
>>
>/fit/ isn't r9k in denial
>>
>>37204195
HOLY SHIT DUDE! I didn't even say what it was and you fucking KNEW! I've never actually met anybody else or even talked to anybody else that's got it since it's so fucking rare. Besides my 2 uncles on my dads side since we all are apparently lucky bastards and should all play the lottery religiously. I don't talk to them much though.

I only got somewhat lucky and caught it early because I was having back problems and my aunt took me to get some blood tests and xrays just in case. She's a doctor and knows enough about my uncles, so she wanted to rule that out. Too bad we couldn't rule it out since that's what the fuck I've got. Hit like a ton of bricks, was already somewhat depressed and that just topped it off. That realization that you'll always be limited in what you do and there's absolutely nothing to do about it.

Are you mainly a lurker or do you actually work out and build up your body? If you're building up or even working out in general, how do you even start in the first place? Are you extremely limited on lifts or is it just slow and steady progression? And what are you on for it, if you don't mind me asking?

When I first found out, I was actually tripfagging here for a bit, explaining the situation and asking what the fuck I could do about it. It was just a bunch of "holy shit" and "I'm so sorry bro". That kinda hit home, so I just dropped the trip and stewed in depression. lol it was ASbro and it was only for like a week and in my own threads, but I can't remember the trip itself. They were relatively high traffic threads, too, but nobody even knew what AS was at the time so I couldn't get any help.

>Running into someone else on /fit/ that has AS
The odds of that happening are ridiculously low, yet here we are. We're gonna make it, even if we can't see that yet.
>>
File: anklylosing_spondylitis.jpg (28KB, 550x410px) Image search: [Google]
anklylosing_spondylitis.jpg
28KB, 550x410px
>>37204432
Forgot the picture. I'm pretty sure this is the most common picture of AS. Like 4 different doctors showed it to me.
>>
>>37202980
I let him put his penis inside then sucked it afterwards
>>
File: xx.png (373KB, 539x399px) Image search: [Google]
xx.png
373KB, 539x399px
her bf, also model
>>
File: Erik COnver.png (436KB, 549x548px) Image search: [Google]
Erik COnver.png
436KB, 549x548px
>>37204557
6'3
>>
>>37192930
cheat days are good
>>
>>37198337

>unrelated, but you don't need to eat right after you exercise. your body won't eat itself.

wouldn't you want to eat shortly after moderate to intense exercise for the sake of replenishing glycogen stores? it's been a while since i took my sports nutrition class but i remember the teacher saying it's important to eat some carbs after you exercise for this reason.
>>
>>37204481
Did your guys' balls touch? Did you at least say no homo?
>>
>>37198635
What they respond to, is genetics
>>
I used to think pizza was the ultimate food because it had all the food groups.
>>
>>37204296
you are an idiot or im bitting this dank bait hard
>>
>Lifting weights is dangerous for your back
Turns out nothing is worse for my back than never using it for anything much, so whenever you DO have to use it, it hurts like sixty niggers afterwards.
I was likely one doctor's visit away from getting prescribed industrial-strength painkillers for my back pains, deadlifts saved my ass.
>>
>>37201783
>surething buddy
>>
>>37204675
THIS. Good rehab work is the ultimate solution to chronic pain. I hurt my back deadlifting poorly last year just short of 180kg and taking time off, then reintroducing squats and deads alongside hanging leg raises, weighted decline situps and back extensions has essentially cured my pains. The worst part is that if I stop doing them, the pain comes back worse, so I'll be training for the rest of my life.

That's fine, though. I love this shit.
>>
>>37204866
>Thanks for being so helpful
>>
>>37193154
He has a monoboob like Dillion McFarlane.
>>
>>37203922
Made me laugh, here's a (you)
>>
>we're all ganna make it

I don't think I'll ever make it brah
>Asian
>5'10 king of manlets
>5" penis

Won't stop trying tho, at least I'll die knowing I was in a better place than I would've been otherwise.
>>
>>37193687
Lel implying your tapwater is 'clear'
>>
>>37205541
Don't worry, you'll make it.
>Just barely pass off at 6ft
>Mixed, half white
>Asthmatic smoker (kek gotta quit cause of back though)
>Eczema so usually pretty ashy (even though I'm not black)
>Ankylosing Spondylitis diagnosis
>Threw me into a pit for 3 years, just trying to get out now
>Don't even know where to start

I plan on making it, and I won't let you tell yourself you won't just because you're Asian (I'm part Filipino, so I'm partially Asian nigger), or because you're average height, or because your dick is average size. You're gonna get swole and make all kinds of gainz, my little yellow friend. Just have a bit more confidence in yourself. We're all gonna make it brah, and that includes you.
>>
>you cant get big legs without squats
>machines are bad
>pro bodybuilder routines wont help you get gains if youre natty
>keto
>intermittent fasting
>genetics matter even if you arent competing
>taking roids is the worst thing ever and you will die at 30 if you do them
>>
>>37192930
OP I know the girl in your photo I believe... Does her name start with an A
>>
>>37193154
This is a goal body? Jesus christ.
>>
>>37207844
/fit/ has shit standards and likes to aim low
>>
File: Amazing Fantasy 015-02_edited.jpg (88KB, 478x471px) Image search: [Google]
Amazing Fantasy 015-02_edited.jpg
88KB, 478x471px
>>37192930
>Peter Parker was huge in Spiderman after he got bit and had his transformation
in comparison, pre-bite Peter was spooky as shit
>>
>>37194913
Between being fat and having to ride a bike up a steep ass hill for two years I have godly calves.
>>
>>37192930
>you want to get big
>you need to eat big
Seriously worst myth there is.
You want to get big just use steroids
That fatass pretending he is attractive in any way just because he can lift objects is autistic.
Clean bulk or gtfo.
>>
>milk makes me faaarrt
>it makes me smell
>milk us unhealthy

Jesus. If you are lactose intolerant fine. Just dont tell people who can actually digest the stuff lies like that.
>>
>>37208555
LOL I want to die
plesase kil me :D
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (42KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
42KB, 480x360px
>>37193890
fap wile standing.
as you ejaculate you will tend to tip-toe

do this over and over for max gains.
>>
>>37194698
Yeah but you guys fall apart when gluten is introduced to your diet :^)
>>
>>37193154

curls and bench x F
>>
>>37199188

best post ITT
>>
>>37193890

Running is the only decent way to make calf gains.
>>
>>37194763
You are not white
>>
>>37194443
>30mins
That's almost 10km. Are you some kind of marathon sprinter.
>>
>>37209162
Nope. Be fat. Calves love supporting massive body weight and will swell to compensate. Get fat anon.
>>
>>37192930
>genetics WERE NOT a thing
>>
>>37209648
This. My fat friend has some of the biggest calves I've ever seen, hard as a fucking rock too.
>>
>>37193056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7_dNX9A5g0
>>
>>37195486
u gay for your cousin bro ?
>>
>>37199030
Id rather take that than smell like sour bologna and ball gravy incubated in side critch. That shit is the worst!
>>
a Manmore Zone is where you're in an area where most citizens are average height (5'8-5'10 ish) and you step into an establishment or "zone" where every fucking person in there is dwarfing you. Have you ever encountered a Manmore Zone?

I stumble into them a lot in Virginia, i'm 6'1 and am usually a little taller than most guys I see and then i'll walk into walmart and not only are all the guys in there 6'4+ but even the women are 5'10-6'0. This phenomena is strange and a big eye opener of what it feels like to be a turbo manlet (5'6). Have you ever stumbled into a Manmore zone? did it make you feel a self conscious? idk how you manlets do it I feel like shit whenever im surrounded by people taller than me.
>>
>>37193942

So if I eat 60g of protien post workout, none of it gets lost through excretion?

Elaborate on point 7. please
Elabroate on point 7 please.
>>
>>37201241
you fucking moron GOMAD is a course to break out of skeleton mode. If you get any adverse effects just do something else, why the fuck would you out yourself through that just to be fat.
>>
>>37193978
>not a must do exercise for lower body development
The reason squats are good is it's NOT just low body. After you get to1 or 2 plates (depending on height), the hardest part of a squat is keeping your back up and in form, so it uses your back, abs, whole core really, plus legs. It's a true compound lift.
>>
>>37204104
Innit. Large muscle, easy to do, feels good some people just like to complicatrle things
>>
>>37208690
:(
>>
>>37199243
Well at that point it basically becomes stronglifts 5x5
>>
>>37193851
>girls don't like asses

right? birds are mad for glutes
>>
>>37194551
>>37194585
>>37198665
>>37198707
>>37198720
I have nice calves compared to my barely out of DYEL-mode body, and I am 100% positive it's because of the way I walk up stairs.

Basically I'm always on the tip of my toes when I take stairs. I guess it works them isometrically.
I've been doing that for 15 years, and now it's almost hard for me to walk stairs normally, ie by putting my foot flat on the stair.

I also made some calves gains 2 years ago when I was running a lot for normie standards. Like 60km a week (37miles in freedom units).
But running will only help your calves in you run in a specific way, and that's by hitting the ground with the middle or the front of your foot (as opposed to your heel), and then grip the ground with your toes - this is what activates your calves. But don't exaggerate the gripping, as it will come naturally anyway if you hit the ground with the correct part of your foot.

This correlates with what has been said and the common wisdom about calves, ie they respond better to a huge amount of reps.

But I disagree completely with people who say it's genetics. It's a lame excuse to avoid doing what needs doing, just like fatties do.

>>37202719
I know nothing about cycling, but I'm sure it depends on your cycling technique, like with what part of the foot you push the pedal etc.
Having a long time cyclist with small calves doesn't prove that cycling doesn't help calves. It proves that there exist forms of cycling that don't do shit for your calves.
Just like running with bad form etc.
>>
>>37199496
Yes.

I did SS + GOMAD because skelly and got good gains. Few years later I convinced my future wife to start lifting, but I had her do the Greyskull LP instead of SS, because it is superior.
>>
>>37192930
>girls didn't like gains

Best to believe when you start it, so you can be sure you dont lift for girls, only for yourself
>>
>>37201053
More like 9 months. But I completely agree with you.
>>
>>37192930
This is the biggest lie
>Babe I don't really like your angry veins
>Forearm swolested during that scene in Civil War when cap curls a helicopter
>>
>>37201819
>>37202137

Well there is some distorted kind of truth behind that. And it is that it's harder to have a progression on a high rep program.
>adding 5lb on 3x5 is easier than adding 5lb on 3x10

And because your body adapts only when the stimulus grows like doing more weight or more reps. So if you don't progress as often with a high rep program you get less gains overall, hence the myth.

Note that I'm talking about a novice here, not about an intermediate/advanced who wants to accumulate fatigue
>>
>>37192930
>Muscular dudes were very, very stupid

Definitely true about the overwhelming majority in Aus. Saying you lift is on par with saying you play video games in terms of autism here.
>>
>>37213149
We're a nation of Jason Genova.
>>
>>37209396

30 minute JOGGING is not nearly 10km.
A 30 minute jog will put you at around 6-7km.
>>
I used to think ripped guys where dumb as fuck desu.

Turns out a lot of them are smart as fuark especially when it comes to history/philosophy
>>
>>37192973

You reek of dyel n00b
>>
>That if the science behind nutriotion and weightlifting as a whole is all together extremely sketchy and broken.
>First point correlates to the idea that no one truly knows and that everybody is different therefore find what benefits you and stick by it
>As far as we know a huge portion of stored fat (60% - 80%) is mainly released through our lungs as triglyceride is a main component found in the carbondioxide we breathe out hence oxygen can and does move our fat deposits (trigylceride) around the body.
>hence cardio means heavier breathing and more oxygen flow etc...
>other 20% is burnt going towarss muscles and brain so forth supplying the body so to speak.
>this also supports the wider effects of thermic weight loss in the body alongside cardio as the heat allows triglyceride to be carried in larger quatinties to the lung hence we breather out more per standard unit of carbon breathed out.

This is the only accurate thing we can say
>>
>>37193042

fucking asians with lactose intolerance.
>>
>>37199188
Jesus christ
>>
>>37213630
Now to protein.. which is still an area of uncertainty

>Protein is a thermic not only is it harder to digest (costing more energy) its also harder for the body to process and corculate as its a heavier compound not only that but most excess that your body doesn't need is filtered out through poop which means not a lot of it is ever converted into trigylceride

Which is why eating more feels you up faster and enables weight loss
>>
File: 1421463966754.png (38KB, 475x467px) Image search: [Google]
1421463966754.png
38KB, 475x467px
>>37199188
>>
>>37193628
>how do you shot web?
>>
>>37201241
eat more fiber
Thread posts: 252
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.