[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gonna start Muay Thai in the summer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 18xx2b5h9iwj0jpg.jpg (57KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
18xx2b5h9iwj0jpg.jpg
57KB, 500x314px
Any advice?
>>
>>36817740
bump for interest. also is there any cost efficient way to train muay thai or any other martial art once a week? preferable on saturday.

I play in a soccer league twice a week and lift three times but I feel like being able to defend yourself is also important
>>
>>36817740
Just started going with my wife to her gym. Get hand wraps and our own gloves.
>>
>>36817815
There's a gym like 16 minutes where i live that does Muay Thai lessons and they seem pretty good. Luckily im a student so my summer is gonna be wasted by not doing any work and video games so i may go out and get a job and start going gym (Working out at home for now).
>>
Im banned test
>>
>>36817866
WHAT!?

Its lifted!! Hmm.. advice for muay thai? What kind of advice are you looking for?
>>
>>36817893
Any; equipment, stretches, exercises.
>>
>>36817740

Start now.
>>
>>36817954
My best advice would be to start strengthening your core. Start doing an ab routine every day starting now.
Secondly, cardio. Start going for a light jog every day.
You dont need to worry about equipment and flexibility too much right now, they will come. It will all come. But to have a headstart and not become a miserable demoralized mess immediately, I would start working on my core strength and cardio.
>>
It's good to start building up your endurance and flexibility now. For flexibility check videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XuxRDlm5eg for reference and also the book Relax Into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline which has helpful step by step instructions.

For endurance, build up to a 10k run 2-3x a week (if you haven't already done so). That should ease your entry into combat sports.

Don't bother learning technique by yourself. You'll probably get it wrong and it's harder to unlearn incorrect technique than learn it fresh with an instructor
>>
File: lee sinsored.jpg (241KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
lee sinsored.jpg
241KB, 1215x717px
>>36817740
become based Muay Thai Lee Sin
>>
File: 1460634881756.jpg (61KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1460634881756.jpg
61KB, 500x374px
>>36818150
This guy gets it.
>>
>>36818377
>Don't bother learning technique by yourself. You'll probably get it wrong and it's harder to unlearn incorrect technique than learn it fresh with an instructor

This 100%
>>
>>36817740
No idea.

Just started doing kickboxing. Am I wasting my time and money? Wanted to do boxing but couldn't find any good gyms.
>>
File: 1442419933723.gif (3MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
1442419933723.gif
3MB, 265x200px
>>36817815
Once a week probably isn't worth it unless you already know what you are doing.

>>36818377
Don't bother with stretching. It is a meme.

I teach a beginners MMA class with another coach who was a high level Muay Thai fighter. I am more of a grappler with a background in sport science. We had a student come up to us and ask us about stretching.

We both agreed and basically told him not to bother stretching. The other coach based this on his experience. I base it on mine and the fact that I believe it to be more of a motor control issue. I am fairly inflexible in the hips but am able to kick people in the head. I was able to accomplish this simply by practicing kicking. I do not kick regularly or stretch, but am still able to kick people in the head.

>>36818779
Depends on the school. Kickboxing can definitely be legit.
>>
>>36817740
>>36818779
Depends what your objectives are. I'm a Savate fag but I'm also sparring partner of kick-boxing and full-contact competitors.

If your objective is to hit hard, there's always a retard among beginners who will be happy to say 'fuck the rules, lets brawl'. No matter the sport there's always >that guy
If your objective is to compete then you'll have to practice against the competitors and do some more sport next to kick-boxing/muay thai or whatever.
If your objective is to get better at street fight, those sports will mainly teach you how to avoid a fight (distance you have to keep with someone to be safe, cardio, knowing your chances based on the size/weight of the guy in front of you, being too much of a threat to be worthing brawling with)

Chances are that you'll do some regular boxing too since kick-boxing and muay thai fighters are standing much closer from each other than in Savate so a lot of jabs are thrown.
>>
>>36818930
the school seems legit, I just hope, because I just want to get good at punches. If I can learn them well here, I will be happy.

I just saw those K.O. punches of boxers who got attacked and ended the fight just like that against several guys. I want to learn to do that.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.