[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to even get started?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: 1459630370258.jpg (18KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
1459630370258.jpg
18KB, 300x285px
There is just too much information and too much of it out there that is conflicting.

I'm completely new to all this, want to lose fat and put on muscle, but without mass. As little mass as possible while still getting stronger.

Trying to find information is the most confusing shit.. And there's so many terms for the same things.. I have no problem working hard and having willpower but it comes to reading up on all this I just don't understand.
>>
If only there was this post that had a bunch of consolidated information. We could even sticky it.
>>
>>36642044
I didn't find the sticky remotely helpful for what I want.
>>
>>36642038
Did you not see the dinosaur run back and forth when you came onto the board?
>>
I used to be like you. Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6VIgWlPv4
>>
Op wants to be a trap.
>>
File: vammasumma.jpg (91KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
vammasumma.jpg
91KB, 1024x768px
>>36642049
So you're retarded? I think you'd find /b/, /r9k/ or even /pol/ more to your liking.
>>
>>36642038
>put on muscle, but without mass
What do you think muscles are? Put on muscles = more mass
>>
>>36642059
Not at all. I love traps but would never wanna be one, I just don't have that prticular mental illnesss. I don't like mass, wanna be stronger but as small. and not flashy as possible.
>>
>>36642038
For a beginner, all you need to know is that you have to start lifting, preferably do a routine that has "starting" in its name, since you are starting, and that you should eat more, preferably at around 400 kcals surplus.

Everything else is irrelevant for the first 6 months. By then, you should have enough time to find out more.

Unless of course, this is just one of your excuses.
>>
>>36642076
Well then maybe I don't understand.. I see people who are small and ridiculously strong and that's what I want.. I just don't understand how they do it, what the terminology is and how to find the information.
>>
>>36642078
>loves traps
>doesn't have mental illness

Subtle. 8/10, well baited my friend
>>
>>36642096
I said that particular mental illness, ding dong. I didn't want to come to this board because I figured no one would take me seriously and help me understand this shit, but it was too confusing and I needed to ask other people.
>>
>>36642038
Everyone suggests different routines etc. because as long as you're actually putting in work on a Daisy basis and improving your lifts everything works. Don't get stuck on details before you're actually lifting. Just pick a routine and start now. After a while, you can change it up accordingly to your preferences etc. Having a proper diet is very vital for gaining muscle/losing fat, but first of all, you have to actually lift.
>>
Listen, if you want to get string without getting huge, then you want to do bodyweight exercises. Try doing something like 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats every day. You're gonna have to eat clean and healthy, size is a function or calories in and out so don't eat too much or you'll get bulky. To avoid this try skipping breakfast and just having a banana for energy and potassium in the morning. Don't forget cardio, it's hugely important. Go running often, 10km every day should be a good goal to strive for.

That's how you get strong without getting huge, most of the advice here, including the sticky, is designed towards people that want to make mad gains and get huge and shredded like some ugly bodybuilder.
>>
>>36642117
Lel autocorrect, Daisy = daily
>>
>what is the sticky
>>
Look this shit is really simple just do a Starting routine, they are only like 3 hours a week. Calculate your TDEE and eat that with lots of protein. After that it just takes time
>>
>>36642038
You want to lose fat? Lift weights and eat on a caloric deficit and make sure youre getting enough protein or you will lose fat and muscle.

Want to get stronger? Youre going to need to gain a higher muscle mass if you want to get stronger
>>
>>36642117
>>36642126
THANK YOU. These posts were actually helpful, I have a gym membership but all I've really used till now is the treadmill to lose weight.

I can admit I'm not that smart, but I'm able to put effort into things if people just help me get it.. I don't act like a dick trying to keep people out of my little club.
>>
File: 1417313833805.jpg (874KB, 1119x2590px) Image search: [Google]
1417313833805.jpg
874KB, 1119x2590px
>>36642038
>>
>>36642126
9/10 because op fell for it
>>
>>36642165
Don't listen to the second poster though. Doing 100 reps with a light weight won't make you "strong" as in able to move very heavy stuff. You should lift heavier weights in a 3-8 rep range.
>>
>>36642235
>>36642237
memery aside, following any routine consistently is a good way to build discipline and get used to habitual exercise.
>>
>>36642038
Whenever I see post like this "strong but lean/small, etc" I assume its always coming from someone who is very fat. Combined with the fact you specifically mention wanting to lose fat I assume you made this post before your fat and want to look lean but strong.

I assume the reason for this is you already feel fat and "bulky" because your well fat. The reality of the situation is with the exception of people using retarded amount of roids or training for years you are never going to reach the size of some of these internet monsters.

You need to first focus on losing fat (not weight, but specifically fat). This is going to be regardless of muscle mass. As you slim down (from fat) you will go down in leaness and look and will look less "bloated" because muscle takes up less room then fat from a lb to lb standpoint.

To lose fat you need reduce your calories from your baseline and you need to lift some weights. While bodyweight programs are good for say when your on vacation and aren't bad for building up endurance and there are people who look lean from doing them these people often don't show they spend 2-3 hours everyday doing them. Its possible but not efficient. Use bodyweight for when you can't get to the gym OR maybe as GPP work.

You need to start lifting progressively heavy weights at least 3 times a week. You can look up the usual round of starting programs: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Greyskull Linear Progression, etc. These programs will meet most of your goals. They are relatively low volume (low mass gains) but provide solid increases in strength as long as you put in the effort.

You will then need to clean up your diet. The reality is a "IIFYM" (google it) diet is one of the best because its less of a diet and more of a way of eating and something that is very easily adaptable to maintenance. Find your TDEE (BMR * activity level) and cut ~500 calories from that.
>>
I copy and paste this to facebook groups at times:

So I've seen a lot of stupid shit get suggested in this group via misinformed info-graphics and what not.
I would like to share two helpful playlists with you guys. Most of you won't check it out because it's so damn long but for anyone willing to watch most of the stuff you will find it to be very helpful. If you're a beginner this may be too much information for one sitting so review it from time to time.
I'm not going to give links to all the parts of the videos but the subsequent video will usually play by itself and is easily found if not.
Nutritional pyramid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
Muscle and Strength training pyramid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmchPCyDvw
Anyone who bothers to watch it feel free to give feedback to keep this bumped and hopefully save others from some of the stupid shit that gets posted here.
>>
>>36642038

Alright im gonna make this very easy for you.

There is no conflicting information. There is no trick, no magic exercise or food that will make you big and lean.

The following rules apply to everyone on this planet:

You want to lose fat?
> Eat less

You wanna build sum muscle, and lose fat?
> Eat less and workout

You are skinny and want to put on some muscle?
> Eat more and workout more

You are still skinny?
> Eat even more and workout even harder

Fucking DYEL cucks thinking there is a trick just so they can evade the gym and keep themselves from working out.
>>
>>36642386
This is literally all of lifting in a very small nutshell.

In this comment you have.
>Caloric intake
>Progressive Overload

These are the two tools you need to progress if you're a DYEL faggot.
>>
>>36642386
I don't want to be big. I want to avoid it.
>>
>>36642493

don't eat enough and you won't have that problem.
>>
>>36642344
>>36642501

Haven't been on 4chinz in a while. Have tripcodes been changed? I can't remember my shit.
>>
>>36642324

This.

It's also possible OP is a girl who believes doing curls is going to make her one of those "huge body building women" overnight (it's a common female mentality).

You can cut fat with clean eating and cardio. Lifting during won't make you huge overnight, it'll just make sure you're not flabby as shit after you lose all that weight.
>>
>>36642493
> when will this meme die?

not everybody who lifts is some huge beefcake you fucking faggot

it actually takes a very significant amount of lifting to gain the kind of size you're worried about
>>
>>36642324
Has nothing to do with my being overweight.. I just really don't like the look of big muscles and arms and shit. I like everything small and efficient, in every area of life.

But your post has a lot of useful information, thank so.
>>
>>36642543
are you male or female?
>>
>>36642539
That meme never even crossed my mind, but the meme about dudes into fitness being complete dickheads seems mostly true. And I don't understand why.
>>
>>36642552
Male.
>>
>>36642557
you're obviously either ignorant or you have never actually talked to many people that are into fitness
>>
>>36642580
It's playing out with 90% of the responses in this thread.
>>
>>36642570
so you want otter mode?

Lifting won't give you xbox hueg muscles. Doing pushups and other exercises will define your muscles and make you aesthetic, not a muscly freak.

I go to the gym all the time and lift/ squat/ swim/ etc. and I'm not huge, but I look fucking great
>>
>>36642625
Although I don't like the sound of it nd all the gay shit that came up in serch, tht seems to be exactly it.
>>
>>36642557
>>36642580
>>36642610
I take back what I said.

The reason you see people who are into fitness as assholes, as many people do, is because being fit requires dedication and hard work. It's tough to work out. People like you come here saying "I have the willpower, but I don't know how to start" etc. but thats a lie. If you had the willpower, you would have already started. You would have simply googled "starting workouts" or maybe even just ran a mile or done some pushups. Your are WEAK. you people come here wanting all the results without any of the effort. That is IMPOSSIBLE. You may tell yourself "I can do this" but after about a week, you will be sore, your body will be exhausted and you will give up, patting yourself on the back for even trying. There is no cheat code you can enter to bypass all the work you have to put in. The mind game of staying /fit/ is something someone like you can never win.

Welcome to /fit/ now get the fuck out.
>>
>>36642165
The second guy is memeing your shit up senpai-pai.
Dont do this workout unless you want to kill and defeat all opponents with a single punch.
>>
>>36642076
he means low weight and low bodyfat
>>
>>36642712
This.
The best way to get started is to actually start, Not come to a japanese window treatment facility asking how. If you want to lift, look up beginner routines and follow those. You can study lifting while you do so and then change your routine after youve acquired some knowledge. But until then if you get hung up on the small details without ever having put in any effort to find out for yourself, youre bound to fail before you start. Just get started.
>>
>>36642712
Holy fucking shit, how can you say yo're not an asshole. I put in tons of effort with other shit in life, I just don't understand this and needed help. I already have a gym membership and will go today or tomorrow, after I get some sleep from doi ng 8 hours of physically intense work.

You ARE a fucking asshole. I can't find good information when looking online, but this thread has given me shit to do that makes sense and I plan to work as hard at it as I do other things in my life.
>>
>>36642859
>I already have a gym membership and will go today or tomorrow,

I legitimately thought this was sarcastic
>>
>>36642876
But you ignore the part where I immediately said I did 8 hours of physically intense work. Yeah, I'm fucking tired from work and have been up for 20 hours. How the fuck do you think you're making a point?
>>
>>36642126
Hahaha
Oh man
I love u
>>
>>36642890
Mate you are on the wrong fucking website if you want your advice without a large helping of autistic hate and memes on the side.
>>
>>36642038
Don't worry about getting too massive. You won't. That's just a bullshit excuse to avoid lifting. Unless you never look in a mirror for a year and take steroids there is no way you'll get bigger than you want to. Read the fucking sticky start doing SS or one of the other variants. Greyskull LP is popular. SL 5x5 has a nice app. At this level it doesn't fucking matter, they're all just beginner routines meant to be used for about 6 months or until they stop working.
>>
>>36642859
Oh ya? You think that putting forth a little effort in your life makes you special?

In addition to working out nearly every day, I'm double majoring, maxing out the amount of credits I can take, enlisted in the national guard, president of a club, and doing ROTC. But you know the one thing I dont do? Cry about how hard my life is like I KNEW you would. Thats the difference between you and me. I'm busy, I'm sore, I'm sleep deprived, but I keep going and dont complain, because I'm not a weak willed piece of shit like you.

> I already have a gym membership and will go today or tomorrow
literally the most common excuse people like you use
>>
>>36642493
Are you a mong? You won't accidentally get too big you stupid fucking plum. It takes several years to get to a stage where you're 'big'
>>
>>36642890

I didn't ignore that part, that was when I realize you were serious.

If that's so physically exhausting then don't work out. Clearly you can't. It takes it all out of you. Don't even think or talk about it because people don't understand how hard your life is. What's even the point. It's not like anyone else can do it so why bother. When I had my bullshit job loading mulch I could barely eat clean and go running afterwards too. But what you're saying doesn't sound like excuses. They're definitely reasons you can't work out. Don't even bother then.
>>
>>36642941
Fucking great for you, that doesn't change the fact that I'm tired. I don't give up on shit and I'm not using an excuse, I just needed help to understand.

Being as productive you doesn't mean you're not an asshole. You're using all that great stuff as an excuse to be a dick, which I just can't get why you do.

I'm excited to start now that this shit makes sense. I already go to the gym and use my membership several times a week - to lose weight.

Now that the few people who aren't pricks on this board helped me, I'm off of it. I hope to never become the piece of shit you are just because I took the initiative to improve myself.
>>
>>36642859
show again braincell
If you actually displayed a modicum of intelligence you'd have realised you can just eat less and lift some fucking weights instead of moaning on the internet.
>oh, but I work 8 hours a day :^(
So does everyone else you fucking O2 kleptomaniac
>>
>>36643002
>I took the initiative to improve myself
you haven't though. You've asked a question on your favourite little girl cartoon forum. Get a grip
>>
>>36642165
fell for it, no words to describe it.
>>36642126
I love you.
>>
>>36642090
isometrics, low rep ranges.
>>
Same fag as >>36642324

Achieving "ottermode" (won't use the term again) is going to be a very much product of your diet. Now, here comes the part that makes things difficult. The difference between looking that way and looking like a total skeleton is going to come down to having muscle mass while being lean vs being just very lean. So depending on where your coming from this is still going to take time.

Since you said your not overweight I am going to assume your skinny or skinnyfat, my advice won't change from my original post except one major difference. When you find your TDEE (Bmr * acitvity level) you need to add ~500 calories to that, not subtract. You will need to lift heavy weights 3 times a week (again look at the programs I suggested).

Now understand that eating above your maintenance even while working out may lead to a small amount of fat gain, but to minimize that you eat just a bit above your maintenance.

You will want to do this for somewhere between 5-6 months (consistently!). Over this time you may add a little bit of fat but your goal is to gain as much muscle as you can during the phase in training that is the easiest. Once you have stuck with this for that time you will then do the reverse on your calories. You will either maintain the same program or switch to an intermediate program around the same idea (Texas Method for example) but you will find your new TDEE and cut 500 calories.

This will allow you to lean out. Combined with the muscle & strength gains over the previous 5-6 months you will eventually look the way you want but it may take another 5-6 months.

While a year for most people seems like a long time its really not. If you try to cut calories now you will just end up with the skinny body you mentioned but without any strength. You may even see your abs but you WILL be weak. Taking the longer approach where you gain some weight (and muscle) will make you look much better in the long run. Understand its going to take time.
>>
>>36643002
OP is a soft pussy. Fuck this type of person.
>>
>>36643002
You're making excuses.

> I hope to never become the piece of shit you are Just because I took the initiative to improve myself
If you call whining on a mongolian window cleaning forum about working 8 hours a day with physically intense work :.( and talking about how you're totally gonna stick with working out (which you haven't even made a plan for), then ya man you're totally gonna make it. You're not like the other million people that come on this board once, proclaiming how they are gonna turn their life around and get in shape, but dont want to put forth the effort, no sir.
>>
>>36642090
Different people do different things. If you look at powerlifters (in lower weight divisions not in the upper weight classes) they are often extreme strong for their size lifting 2x, 3x, 4x bodyweight on certain lifts.

This purely is a training thing. They lift in low rep ranges and for heavy weights. They have very high 1 RM. And that's great for power lifting where 1 RM are all you really need. But that comes down to training. They also use various methods to make weight and are often somewhere 5-10 lbs heavier then listed. So take some of with a grain of salt.
>>
>>36642038
Low reps, high volume, like Oly lifting.

But why would you do that?
>>
File: Emi's workout guide.jpg (2MB, 4268x3100px) Image search: [Google]
Emi's workout guide.jpg
2MB, 4268x3100px
>>36643123
Who knows, maybe I'm getting trolled. Maybe OP is a master troll.

Its ridiculous that you think we have this "secret little club" where we hide all our weight loss and exercise tips from everyone else. We've given you all the information you need, hell we should've just told you to read the sticky and then be done with you. You consistently denied all the advice we gave you, like many other before you have done.

Maybe you can get to week 4, but I doubt it.

If you really think I'm wrong then prove it. You're too much of a pussy to stick with this though.
>>
Step 1 : calc TDEE
Step 2: go buy some rice, chicken breast, broccoli
Step 3: go to gym and do a chest and arms workout
Step4: rest because you're noob so you'll be hurting for longer than usual
Step 5: repeat for back, rest
Step 6: repeat for legs, rest
Step 7: repeat step 2-6 in whatever order you want

Focus on compound lifts with very light weight.
Fuck around the first month and try different exercises. You'll grow no matter what as long as you're eating.

Buy protein powder if you want.

After a month or two, get on whatever program that has compound movements and start making linear strength gains.

I personally don't have a program, I just workout what doesn't hurt/ feel weak/ or I haven't exercised for 4 days
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.