[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trap Bar Deadlifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: 0275f[1].gif (45KB, 234x360px) Image search: [Google]
0275f[1].gif
45KB, 234x360px
Just bought a trap bar from NY barbells. I'm going to start bringing it to the gym w/ me. Any thoughts on this exercise? I haven't done them since I was in high school, and then I only did them a few times.
>>
>>36553312
I think you wasted your money honestly.
>>
>>36553312
>hey look here he comes again guys. The dude that is too much of a pussy to do deadlifts
>hahaha look, he can't even use full plates on the fag bar
>>
http://youtu.be/fa6cNScWbmQ

Form check please
>>
File: w4dpYDO[1].png (117KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
w4dpYDO[1].png
117KB, 320x263px
>>36553340
>>
Don't understand why people hate on trap bars. Just think for a moment how many aspects of a regular deadlift are simply the result of the bar being straight and your legs being in the way. Or take the overhead press for example. Do you think leaning back or having to tuck your head under the bar only after it has cleared the top are actually beneficial to the movement? Or that it's just some limitation based on our biology?

A shit ton of things around you are the way they are because of limitations, tradition and inertia. If people didn't try to innovate because what we have "just works" we'd still be living in caves. Do you think an electric car needs an exhaust?
>>
>>36553351
explain more
>>
>>36553351
Back is rounding like crazy and you're not even white 2/10 would not lift with
>>
File: 1452455043397.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1452455043397.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>it's a "the autist brings his heavy and impractical metal contraption to the commercial gym" episode
>>
>>36553417

Turns it into more of a quad movement than a posterior chain movement. It's basically a hack squat. You're probably already hitting your quads plenty. Don't you want to give your posterior chain some love?
>>
This thread interests me because I don't go to the gym but deadlifts are the only thing severely lacking in my workouts.

I have no space for a barbell, so would deadlifting stacked salt bags be a good alternative? Would you hold ther parallel or perpendicular to your knees ?
>>
>>36553417
meme equipment
>>
>>36553654

Seems like it'd be difficult to progress past a certain point. How are you going to hold 300+ pounds of salt? Need to pick movements that lend themselves to the progressive overload principle.
>>
>>36553669
I agree and hopefully this would only be medium term solution until I get a bigger house with room for a barbell.
>>
>>36553351
Looks like you're trying to buy a one-way ticket to snap city
>>
>>36553578
I'd watch that show.
>>
File: 1301850887000.jpg (54KB, 288x360px) Image search: [Google]
1301850887000.jpg
54KB, 288x360px
>>36553578
>it's a "this shitty /tv/ meme again" post
>>
>>36553607
I myself have never used a trap bar. Just regular ol' deads for me. Just didn't understand the hate for what's just another piece of equipment. And making it more quad dominant actually sounds kind of interesting.
>>
>>36553607 keeping the bar in front of you on Deadlifts helps with form. I see way too many people round their back like crazy while using the hex bar.
>>
>>36553726
I'm the opposite, the my high school soccer coach had us using trap bars and I never learned to DL properly.

I love the trap bar though, makes me feel like a caged beast.
>>
>>36553726

I guess the reason it gets hate is because you already have tons of great quad dominant movements at your disposal. If for some reason you can't do squats or something then the trap bar might be a good substitute but your average gym goer probably has no reason to do them. People use them as a replacement for deadlifts when they are more of a squat than a deadlift. Just cus we can't see our posterior chain doesn't mean our boyfriends can't when they're hitting our boy pussies from the back so we need to keep that shit werkin while we're twerkin.
>>
>>36553351
Looks good definitely ready to go heavier next time
>>
>>36553669
You could switch to one leg deadlifts once your stack of salt bags got too unstable.
>>
>>36553607

> muh quads, not muh posterior chain

>>36553785

> muh quads, not muh posterior chain

look people, you can make a trapbar posterior chain dominant again by doing it stiff legged. problem fucking solved

>>36553654

sandbag lifts are amazing, and to >>36553669 's point, CAN be progressively overloaded. look into an Ironmind bag (they are affordable and strong as fuck). and road salt or sand is dirt cheap.

sandbag clean and carry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PeEA02CXzc

sandbag clean and jerk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLUVd-zszw
>>
>>36553312

Oh dude I fucking love Trap Bar DL- seriously good shit for your glutes. Would recommend doing them on the reg, but don't forget normal deadlifts for your hammies.
>>
>>36553351
DBSFGNJSKDGFMG WHAT FUCK !?!?!??!
>>
I dig it. I use the trap bar for farmer's walks.

And, if you're into body building, they're really good for, you know, your traps. Shrug that shit.
>>
>>36554238
>look people, you can make a trapbar posterior chain dominant again by doing it stiff legged. problem fucking solved

Why go through all that extra trouble when you could just deadlift? What advantage does a straight legged trap bar deadlift have over a regular SLDL?
>>
>>36554987

If you have access to both, I think both are good variations. Because of the higher and low handles of the trapbar, you can play with different positions to have different levels of T-spine flexion during setup. Likewise, having the plates in line with your body allows you to stretch your hamstrings back more to get more room for contraction and eccentric if you put it down slowly.

As the name implies, the trapbar will work your traps harder, as it will be the primary stabilizer of your humerus (your lats will work less). On the other hand, the anterior setup of a straight bar will work your lats more as you try to avoid from swinging the bar away, but the lats will be stabilizing and take some work away from the traps.

Overall, both variants are good. I use straight bar, axle, trapbar, dumbbells, and farmer's torpedoes and am happy with all.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 275x183px
>>36553785
So, let's say as a hypothetical, you used the hex bar at a height deficit; like just a platform in the center--think that would be an alternative to a squat in a cage? I'm assuming if you got low enough to get past parallel, it'd work just as a squat would.

Only reason I'd find use for it is the fact my uni gym has only two racks and it's always packed; only gym in a rural town but has a hex bar.
>>
>>36556568

This is exactly what the DEAD-SQUAT (TM) bar that T-Nation keeps pimping is made for.

There are certain things to keep in mind regarding this strategy:

1. Unless straps or hooks are involved, your grip will be your weak point.
2. You will not be training your spine to handle compressive load - shear to a degree, but not compressive.
3. There will be less immediate stimulus to keep your upper back tight and chest up: a bar on your back helps with this, but people can and do get sloppy with rounded backs with the trap-bar. This is part of the bad reputation they sometimes get.

That said - yes, if you had no cage, a low-handle deficit trapbar would approximate a squat most closely.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>36556709
Ah, I see; wasn't familiar with their bar but all of your post makes sense. Guess I'll just have to keep waiting for freshmen to do their 12 sets of 100 lb squats; I don't want my squat to suffer from doing the hex bar alternatively, so thanks for the info.
>>
I have one. All I use it for is shrugs. I used to "deadlift" with it but it's really more of a squat so I got over my fear and started conventional-deadlifting.
>>
>>36556976
>so I got over my fear and started conventional-deadlifting.
same, but it sucks having to drop a quarter pl8 switching to traditional DLs
>>
>>36557263
The irony is the only time I ever really hurt myself lifting was when I lifted the hex bar to do shrugs. Let my back round then POP.
>>
>>36557317
I pulled my spinal erector 3 weeks ago doing trappy DLs. it's not as safe as it's made out to be.
>>
>>36553417
Trap bar DL is a half squat where you start at the bottom, not a deadlift.
>>
I like trap bars for DL because my grip is so much better on it. It's not like I'm doing competitions, so who gives a shit?
>>
>>36553351
Nice natural spine, good use of toes, completing the movement halfway keeps the muscles tightened. Keep it up
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.