[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally giving up protein After having medschool lectures on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: protein.jpg (38KB, 750x380px) Image search: [Google]
protein.jpg
38KB, 750x380px
Finally giving up protein

After having medschool lectures on it being unnecessary, reading a few studies about ineffectiveness and seeing a patient with high cholesterol that the SHO thinks may be down to protein shakes i've decided to cut out protein powder.

Do you think keeping my shakes as below will still be good without protein?

> 4 scoops ground oats
> 5g creatine
> 2 bananas
> 20g Maltodextrin

I'm not a troll having a go, if it works for you it works for you, ive just slowly begun believing im being conned and oats will do me fine.
>>
Whey cause gyno too.
>>
Protein causes muscular atrophy
>>
Kek, enjoy your oats
>>
>>36332039
>>36332043

Was legitimately not looking for a troll thread, just wondering if the shake is still good sans protein or if i should up the oats to replace the lost calories...
>>
creatine doesnt work and will harm ur kidneys and liver (scientifically proven and my biochem professor said so), use apples instead
>>
>>36332054

Oats are bad for you because they contain gluten
>>
>>36332063

I have coeliac disease, oats don't have gluten.
>>
>>36332016
It takes more calories to digest celery than it gives.
>>
Yeah I'd still eat/drink that shake. I gave up protein powder too and just eat food instead. It's cheaper and easier.
>>
>>36332074

That sucks bro
>>
>>36332016
Hey OP, you're right, they're mostly unnecessary, I'm 81kg at 1m87 joocy and I stopped protein shakes almost a year ago.
Just gotta eat right, milk has all the whey and casein you could ever need.
Good luck brah, we're all gonna make it
>>
>>36332108

It's not too bad; in the past year i became allergic to milk and gluten within a few months of each other. Milk is by far the hardest to avoid.
>>
>>36332054
kek
>>
Bread is good for you because if makes you feel full when you eat only a little of it.
>>
>>36332139

This. It expands in your stomach. That's why you get bloated when you eat too much bread.
>>
>>36332016
>lectures on it being unnecessary
everybody already knows it's "unnecessary" if you can get high quality protein through your regular diet. it's just a lot more convenient to drink a shake than eat a bunch of eggs or eat a bunch of chicken.

>reading a few studies about ineffectiveness
what's "ineffective"? protein? there's a bunch of scientific evidence that eating enough protein is effective for building muscle.

>and seeing a patient with high cholesterol that the SHO thinks may be down to protein shakes i've decided to cut out protein powder.
ok, nobody cares.
>>
if you can get all the protein you need from whole food sources then more power to you I say. I drink shakes to supplement my protein intake because I can never manage to get enough from my diet. I usually only have one scoop though, maybe one and a half if ive had a real fucking hard day working followed by a savage workout and I'm about to die.
>>
>>36332016
>yawn

Meat is expensive here. Protein is convenient and cheaper than any other source per gram of protein. I get the majority of my protons from eggs, milk and lentils and occasionaly fish or meat. There's no harm with a protein shake every once in a while.
>>
>>36332074
Oats generally do have gluten because they are almost always cross-contaminated with wheat. You gotta make sure to get a brand that specifically states they have no cross-contam.
>>
You dont need any supps whatsoever. Eat well, eat clean, eat big and you'll get there.
>>
>>36332149

It's unnecessary because a normal healthy diet will give more than enough protein without need for extra, you wouldn't need the extra eggs or chickens either. Rather the calories are important.

It all just gets excreted which is why proteinurea is so common in weightlifters.
>>
>>36332168

Maybe i should look into that, but im not so bad that looking at bread gets to me, it was actually testing in response to twitches and headaches that lead to the diagnosis, my stomach was fine.
>>
>>36332177
>It's unnecessary because a normal healthy diet will give more than enough protein without need for extra
really? what's the protein content of a "normal, healthy diet" for a 200lbs male?

>It all just gets excreted
all of it? all the protein you eat is excreted? so if I eat a major surplus that's mostly protein I won't gain any weight because I just piss all the energy out? excellent.
>>
>>36332016
My mom died from protein, so I'm kind of in the same boat. In her last days it's basically all she ate but the doctor said it just was too ineffective.
>>
>>36332214

Your kidneys cant pump it all out so some is cycled into other energy sources but its an ATP heavy process so not overly worth it, that's why your body doesn't prioritize it and you certainly wont be storing protein anywhere, it will be converted.

So yes the excess is excreted.

If you feel protein is working for you, as stated several times, go for it. I have been using it for the past 8 years now myself, I just don't feel like I personally can keep ignoring the evidence. I've always felt that its my carb intake that has had a bigger effect that the prot.
>>
>>36332242
Carb is literally the most useless macro. You can survive without carbs (the body will just make its own glycogen absent dietary carbs) but you will die if you don't get protein or fat.

Corn industry pls go.
>>
>>36332420

It's not really the discussion...

Carbs are by far and large the bodiest preferred energy source, they are the most efficient and least taxing.

Getting all your energy from protein and fats will not be doing your body any favours. Especially as a lifter as you will really have to jack up your intake of both to cover your energy expenditure and that comes with a whole host of side effects, where carbs are much cleaner energy.
>>
>>36332449

>they are the most efficient

No, they are not, fats have 9 kcal per g while carbs have 4 kcal per g of energy freed upon consumption, it's just that your carb / glycogen reserves are the first available and the first to get depleted (in a span of 3 h to 18 h) before the fat does ( oxidation of fats starts after 18 h and rises until the third day, after which fatty acids and keton bodies are the bodies main source of energy if no carbs are consumed) .

I also agree that you can get sufficient protein from your planned diet alone.

No need to spend so much money on shilled protein products.

Source: med school
>>
Threads a little off-topic, the basic question was: is a shake like listed going to work as well without the protein, or do the calories need to be higher to compensate, does the reduction of protein have any impact on creatine efficacy etc?

Does anyone have any decent shake composition they use?
>>
>>36332496

Im med too - the fact that they are used first, are easiest available and dont require much conversion before use is what i would describe as most efficient, maybe efficient was the wrong word.

Along with the fact that fat sources are often worse for you though thats a side issue if someone cant be bothered to find healthier ones.
>>
>>36332136
"MAAIIISS C'EST D'LA MERDE!!!!!!"
>>
I only use whey protein when I'm not very hungry and haven't met macros or I'm about to go out to dinner and don't want to fill myself up too much. Otherwise I just eat some tuna or chicken
>>
Shakes are my primary source of protons because budget.I would gladly switch to food protein only, but I don't see how it can be cheaper.
I get 5kg of low-fat, low sugar protein for 50€, ~30cents per 30g serving .(24g protein, 2.5g fat, 3.5 carbs of which 1.8 sugar)
I'm not trying to be funny, Show me a cheaper source of protein that's not loaded with fat (e.g egg yolks) and I'll ditch the powder and say thank you for the tip.
>>
>>36332677

So do you just eat pasta and vegetables otherwise? Because that appeals to me to save money.
>>
>>36332016
Personally, I prefer to get it from food, because I just like it that way. That being said, I'm considering getting some to have whenever I'm really low of food in the house.

It's really a personal choice. A cup of oats has almost as much protein as a shake. Add a glass of milk to it, and it's probably close or the same.
>>
File: Yui Eating.gif (312KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Yui Eating.gif
312KB, 480x360px
>>36332016
You could always add milk or greek yogurt to the shakes whhich would give you a decent amount of protons without resorting to powders.
>>
>>36332704
veggies, oats,milk, eggs (6 a day, only 2 yolks), quinoa or rice only on workout days.
I still eat meat (fake turkey ham) and fish (tuna) but even that is more expensive than powder.
I'll have one serving of either lunch and breakfast, and one shake with my oats, another after work out.
All in all ~170g protons (I'm 200 lbs).
>>
>>36332704
Gets me healthy sufficient food for ~30€ per week eating fresh greens every day.
>>
>>36332016
>replace protein with carbs
>would this work?

1. you don't need protein powders for your macros
2. your recipe is shit for substituting protein powders because it mostly carbs
3. protein is a general term, not all are created equal amino acid profiles can differ slightly. E.g. gluten is protein, some people are allergic to it.
4. your body digest different sources of protein differently, e.g. it might says 15g proton/100g, but your body might not make the most of it for muscle building.
5. Macros are not the only measure to go for, iifym is bullshit. Just look at wheat germ macros and micros, looks godlike, yet I would advise consuming too much.
6. meat/eggs are not expensive unless you buy caviar fed organic beef
7. cereals are generally not that good for you, oats might be the exception
8. not even mad
>>
>>36332016
As a final year med student, lecturers know fuck all about dietary requirements for muscle building.
>>
>>36332704
Another anon who eats basically proton powder, rye bread, and margarine only here. Cheapish and gets me my macros.
>>
>>36333859
>gets me my macros.
Not your micros tho
>>
>>36333886
And also a stack of pills. Multivitamin meme and 10 others.
>>
>>36332016
You'll give up whey for imagined health effects but keep using creatine? U wot m8?
>>
>>36332677
Myprotein?
>>
>>36332087
Both false
>>
>>36332496
>source - med school

Where they teach you to patch up sick people, not keep healthy people healthy. Where the extent of nutrition knowledge starts and ends with government policies and where if you don't know what's causing something pick an "unregulated drug" like supplements to blame.

Shitty source for nutrition mate.
>>
File: really_sit.jpg (10KB, 182x200px) Image search: [Google]
really_sit.jpg
10KB, 182x200px
Don't work legs and chest on the same day.

All the gains from your post workout shake will hit your chest first before getting to your legs as it goes down, and your legs won't get any protien.
>>
>>36334869
nice bait
>>
>>36332063
The number of products i've seen showing up saying "gluten free" when they never had gluten in the first place, like gluten free oatmeal or corn, makes me laugh.

http://claraglutenfreewater.com/
>>
>>36332177
Shakes and vitamins are cheap and very simple.

Here's where there's absolutely no evidence that protein, which makes fucking everything, is any less efficient than anything else. Guess what makes muscle gain? Guess what prevents muscle loss?

There's also an abundance of suggestions about reducing impact by reducing volume, thus increasing efficiency.
>>
>>36334937
Oh yeah, I saw "lactose-free" rye bread the other day. What an achievement.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.