[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flexibility/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (108KB, 1599x1064px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
108KB, 1599x1064px
Red pill on stretching and mobility /fit/.

I'd love to increase my flexibility for rock climbing.

Any programs/books for complete beginners?
>>
>>36125826
Holy fuck her neck area looks so weird
>>
how long do you guys hold your stretches for? my goal is to one day suck my, i mean do the splits.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>36125908
From what i've heard you should hold for at least 20 seconds, i personally do 30.
>>
>>36125908
I do 30-35 seconds.
>>
Should you do anything in other than starting stretching?
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>36125826
Bump
>>
>>36125908
Full minute, and I've seen amazing results.
>>
>>36128068
was there a huge improvement? switching to 1 min than what you previously did? can you suck your dick?
>>
>>36125908
2 minutes GOAT. i get a visible change in range of motion before and after.
>>
>>36128173
Mainly just hips and ankle dorsiflexion. Started doing oly lifting so I needed to work on those, and it has worked.

I'm stretching for the splits now, just for the lolz. Stretching is too fucking easy. Sit in front of TV, have phone time every minute, begin stretch.
>>
>>36125826
>Red pill
If you can't touch your toes now you may be able to practice stretching and do so one day but not much beyond that. The natty limit is pretty low for a lot of people.
>>
>>36130606
cant tell if this is satire or not..... i never knew about how flexible you could be by genetics, so even if you train for years daily, you might not be able to do the splits?
>>
>>36130642
Yes friend in afraid it is true. You will never become a contortionist.
>>
>>36125908

Until I cum.
>>
How many hours between stretching and exercise should you wait? Like can stretch hard before bed, sleep, then wake up and workout?
>>
>>36130642
Side splits are genetic. Either your hip bones have the correct shape for side splits or they don't. Front splits on the other hand are mechanically manageable by everyone.
>>
>>36132491
It pretty much depends on how you do your stretching.

Light stretching can be done at the end of your workout to loosen up the muscles. A full stretching routine should best be done on non-workout days after a good warm up (running, cycling, etc.). If you do a sport that requires a lot of flexibility, like martial arts or dancing, you can do some dynamic stretches after your warm up (static stretches tend to take power away).

The more flexible you are, the more you can stretch without having to worry about timing.
>>
>>36132468
So about 10 seconds?
>>
>>36133228
This is correct albeit everyone can do side splits would they start practicing then at age young enough, also almost everyone can get pretty close to perfect side split it's not like I'm stuck at 90 degrees muh genetics.
>>
>>36125846
Holy fuck her boob area looks so good
>>
>>36125908
1 minute holds. Do it three times for a total of 3 minutes per muscle. If thats hard then do 30s and work up from there. Anything less than 30 and you're wasting your time, this is coming from a PT. It seems like a waste of time but stretching everyday will help you in and out of the gym and leave you feeling better. Foam rolling helps too but stretching doesn't require you to buy anything.
>>
>>36133670
how does foam rolling help flexibility ?

i thought it was just to massage the muscles.
>>
>>36133670
Basic recomended stretchs?
>>
File: 1445482422713.jpg (444KB, 1280x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1445482422713.jpg
444KB, 1280x1020px
>foam roll twice a day
>every muscle between my lower back and my feet thoroughly
>stretch immediately after both times
>hip flexors, hamstrings, calves, quads, shoulders, and back
>it literally means nothing because i'm on tren
>>
>>36125908

Weird that no one else has said this:

stretch
deep breath
deep breath, on the exhale increase the stretch
deep breath
deep breath
deep breath
finish
>>
>>36133684
Other anon here. I can answer that. Had this discussion with two physiotherapists.

If you have knots in your muscles (aka trigger points) stretching will be inefficient. The knot will block the muscle fibers from stretching, and you risk tearing them by forcing. Loosen them first up by massage (deep tissue or dry needling for extreme cases) or foam rolling.
>>
>>36133949
but wont they be loose after like one foam rolling session ?

meaning from then on you can just start stretching whenever
>>
>>36125908
As long as ten minutes sometimes. I'm trying to get my knees to the ground in butterfly stretch and achieve no hands lotus position for BJJ reasons.
>>
>>36125826
I have hyper mobile joints so sometimes it's too much mobility. It's hard curling without my wrists bending or squatting without my elbows shooting back. It's hard to keep stable in general fuck this
>>
>>36134173
Sometimes they come back, especially the ones in the calves and traps.
>>
>>36133670
>Do it three times for a total of 3 minutes per muscle
so like sets? or circuit training style?
>>
>>36125826
read up on pnf stretching.

i only do each leg/side once per exercise, but this one stretch takes like 3-5 minutes.

you go to a still comfortable stretch and tense the muscles. then you go lower and repeat.

just continue trying to get lower and lower in the same exercise while squeezing the fuck out of the muscles.
>>
someone give me a hip/leg/lower back stretching routine
>>
File: 4.-Supported-Forward-Fold_B.jpg (1MB, 3744x5616px) Image search: [Google]
4.-Supported-Forward-Fold_B.jpg
1MB, 3744x5616px
>>36130606
I can lay may palms flat on the floor right in front of my toes, I can also do pic related and stretch far enough to clasp my wrist behind my foot. Apparently they're hard stretches to do, I've never practised stretching or anything but I'm tempted to see haw flexible I can get. It is worth taking up yoga or something?

Also how will it effect long distance running performance? A friend of mine who plays football says stretching to much slows you down, but I'm guessing that would be more of an issue for sprinting and stuff rather than long distance, if it's even true at all.
>>
>>36134432
Bend your hips forward and stretch from there so your back isn't being stretched so much as your hamstrings.

Stretching when done correctly should help enhance your athletic performance and potential mobility. Your friend is generalizing because broscience.
>>
Anyone have some links / books for really inflexible beginners? For example, it's not just that I can't touch my toes, I would barely be able to touch a basketball lying between my feet.
Or do I just keep at it with "normal" exercises? Even for that, information is appreciated so I know I'm doing everything in the right way, with the right amount of volume etc...
>>
>>36134198
kek
>>
>>36137024
http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html

also watch a ton of video on youtube, there are many gymnastic that explain stretching very well
>>
>>36128420
This
2minute is best
DAILY
>>
>>36125908
Just curious, for those who were really inflexible.

A lot of people recommend "do it for a minute, do it for 30 seconds, etc" but I'm wondering if they do the same stretch 3 times or what.

What's the best way to do it? I've been following the starting stretching thing. Not sure if 1 minute per stretch is enough sometimes
>>
>>36139358
I do each stretch multiple times (3 to 5 usually) holding in the stretched position for a min each time
>>
>>36130642
yeah I have friend that is neet with 0 activity different that shitposting, he is able to put his leg over his shoulder while standing on other leg without any warm up.

I can not touch toes with my hands

fooking hell
>>
>>36125908
Nearly 2 minutes.

The whole point of stretching is to overcome the stretch reflex, which takes time. Hold it near discomfort, and over the 2 minutes you'll be able to go deeper and deeper.

I went from having super tight grandpa hips to full mobility in about 2 weeks doing it just once every other night or so.
>>
static stretching is overrated.

I almost never did static stretches because they felt uncomfortable as shit.

just dynamic stretches improved my mobility greatly.

if you feel you need to stretch a lot, you're probably fucking something up.
stretching a lot is needed to build mobility.
maintaining it only requires a little bit of stretching.
>>
File: 1452445940063.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452445940063.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>36125826
i have trouble kicking above hip height in kickboxing.
its literally feeling like a blockade as soon as i want to kick to the face area.

am i doing something wrong/what should i stretch?

i open my hips, turn around my back foot but then it just feels impossible to get my kicking leg higher than a 90° angle.

i have scoliosis btw
>>
>>36140759
youve gotta believe in yourrself
>>
>>36140759
work for the split
>>
>>36125826

Yo, bro, I got you. You could try Hatha Yoga. This isn't new age bullshit, this isn't pilates, this is the physical art and knowledge of 5,000 years distilled into a book with great pictures that illustrate every pose.

http://www.amazon.com/Integral-Yoga-Hatha-Swami-Satchidananda/dp/093204042X

The book is fantastic, it has progressions for each of the more difficult poses and routines in the back for beginners/intermediate/advanced practitioners. There are sections dedicated to meditation but they're not mandatory - though learning to clear your mind and flow with your thoughts is always helpful.

For $20 you cannot find a better guide.
>>
>>36133670
i usually just stretch as far as i can go and dont hold it then just do that a few times.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.