[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gym autism genereal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 29

File: bdfd7f_4946242.jpg (80KB, 867x527px) Image search: [Google]
bdfd7f_4946242.jpg
80KB, 867x527px
>at gym
>doing /fit/ approved ass to grass
>Wild 5'6 turbo manlet appeared
>"Yo! These low squats are bad for your knees! You should stop in 90° position!"
>"Th-thanks for the advice! A really appreciate that!"
>I spent rest of my sets doing half squats.
>tfw lifting can't cure autism
>>
>>35910375
one time these two girls were using the squat rack backwards and i went up to them and told them it's safer to do it the other way around and the alpha-girl of the group looked at me like a rapist and said "thanks" and just stared me down until i left
>>
>>35910375
if you know it's such a great exercise, pass along some advice to him next time instead
>>
>>35910423
What are the bullet-proof arguments for deep squating except "I read it on the internet"?
>>
>>35910459
that if you're not squatting all the way down you're not fully activating the muscle & it's actually worse for the joints than going all the way down
>>
>>35910459
say it works out your legs more, its healthier for your spine
>>
>>35910459
The position half the world shits in?

Also, the correct argument against unwanted and wrong advice goes something like this: "Leave me the fuck alone".
>>
>at gym
>doing ass to grass
>manlet walks over to me and starts making noises with his mouth
>remove earplugs
>ambient noise from gym suddenly piercing my skull
>manlet's face is screaming
>"Yo! These low squats are bad for your knees! You should stop in 90° position!"
>drop weights they crash and I begin screaming and punching myself in the face
>can't find my helmet
>everything is too loud
>manlet still yelling in my face
>wind blowing in grass outside feels like daggers on my skin
>on floor curled up punching myself
>manager and some curlbros sprint over and try to restrain me
>get banned from gym for the eighth time this week
>tfw lifting can't cure autism
>>
File: Disgust_707676_1567263.gif (2MB, 415x212px) Image search: [Google]
Disgust_707676_1567263.gif
2MB, 415x212px
>>35910375

>letting a manlet steal your gains
>>
>traveling out of state in small town
>go to PF because it's the only gym within 20 miles
>get in for free because the guy behind the desk recognizes me
>be working out
>catch him with his phone out recording me
>unleash my full autismo as I finish my set
>take his phone out of his hands, delete the video, and tell him he can have it back before I leave
>finish up and give it back without exchanging a word

What the hell is wrong with me?
>>
>>35910554
dude what

this entire thing is just what?

why was he recording you? why did you flip out? are you bipolar?
>>
>>35910572

He recognized me and was probably just getting a video for his friends to prove that he saw me. I'm not even that well known and in hindsight I should have just been honored that he was a fan in the first place. I did end up apologizing later and giving him a free permanent subscription to my Twitch channel.
>>
>>35910474

Source: Broscience monthly
>>
>>35910620

So you think you're famous? That's why you flipped out?

You sound like a weirdo with no self awareness. That's probably why he was filming you.
>>
>>35910620
Another confirmation that anyone streaming on twitch is in fact autistic
>>
>>35910650

As I just said, I'm not that well known in the grand scheme of things. I just have a weird social anxiety issues. I'm usually a lot better.

>>35910679

100% true.
>>
>>35910706

No, you're not well known at all. He was filming you because you were acting strange.
>>
>>35910731

He admitted to recognizing me and let me in for free. I wasn't acting strange before I took the phone. Though I don't see how you are in a position to tell me how well known I am. I have over 3,000 people paying $5 a month to support what I do (won't say how much of that I see). What do you have?
>>
>>35910802
god twitch streamers are the fucking worst just piss off
>>
>>35910802

So you are famous?

Or are you not famous?

Make up your goddamn mind you freak.

Also, stop taking other people's property like it's your right
>>
>>35910459
stopping exactly at 90 degrees puts sheer forces on your knees.
going slightly below parallel is far more safe.
>>
>>35910802
tits or gtfo mate
>>
>>35910802
3000 people giving 5 dollars that make 0.0016$ per person. You're worth it.
>>
>>35910375
atg is worse for your knees than paralell.

i learned this from retired powerlifters and not acne infested redditors and 4chinners
>>
>>35910997

As a former college football player and current assistant athletic trainer, i must disagree.
>>
>>35910554
Now that's what I call autism
>>
>>35910997
>expecting powerlifters to do the full movement ;^)
>>
>>35911014
I'm guessing that you're disagreeing, because you haven't spent the last 20+ years squatting and doing powerlifting competitions am i right?

>>35911035
>assumptions
>>
>>35910997
>1 retired powerlifter aka dumb as shit meathead
>actual scientific studies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23821469
>>
File: 1408153607042.gif (545KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1408153607042.gif
545KB, 500x275px
>>35910459
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/deep-best-squats_n_4175398.html

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134953271

https://www.t-nation.com/training/7-reasons-to-squat-like-a-man
>>
>>35911071
Liftersss
1 won the nationals in ' 78, paperboy
>>
>>35910997
ATG is better for your knees than paralell

I learned this from several retired (40-50 year old) powerlifters and a few active bodybuilders.

Also from dr Fred Hatfield, who happens to be the leading authority on squats in the world.
>>
>>35911060

No need to guess, i plainly stated that i disagreed.
>>
>>35911094
you probably think your autism comes from vaccines because you heard so from several mothers. sure powerlifter know their shit, but they can only tell from experience, which is not a reliable source for health advice.
>>
>>35910554
Are you famous?
>>
>>35911115
The focus of the reply was the reason, not the act.
>>
>>35911060

Have you spent the last 20+ years squatting and doing powerlifting competitions? Or are blindly following the advice of someone else, refusing to do any basic research yourself?

Trust but verify, my friend.
>>
>>35911129
unless one did atg and fucked up his knees because of it.
>>
>>35911144

>I'm guessing that you're disagreeing

Just doing my best to respond to your post as written. I wouldn't want to make any assumptions as to your meaning.

I only have 15 years of experience as a division 1 athlete, student, and trainer. I wouldn't want to go up against your second hand anecdotal evidence.
>>
>>35911148
so i need not to listen to the champions and instead listen to articles on the internet that have been published by scientists?

Science is an ever expanding and changing field, experience is the one thing that never changes.
>>
>>35911184
Don't cherrypick parts of my post if you want to respond in the best way possible.

>division 1 athlete, yes you were a footbalplayer. but i asked if you spent 20+ years doing squats and the answer, appearantly is no, so my guess was right.
>>
>>35910375
>at the gym doing ATG 2.75 plate squats
>fat ex-lineman from HS football team and another dude I went to HS with are doing 1/4 squats in the rack next to me
>fat dude sees me me squatting lowbar and runs up behind me to "spot me"
>he's so fat that he's basically trying to bear hug me while i'm in the middle of a squat
>rack weight
>he says that "squatting low and with your back not vertical will fuck you up"
>I tell him I appreciate it but that I'm not doing high bar squats and I can handle it
>He says okay and goes back to squatting
>Continue my sets
>>
>>35911197

What you need to do is consider all sources and then come up with your own conclusions based on the available information and actual personal experience.
>>
File: Bajheera.jpg (30KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bajheera.jpg
30KB, 1280x720px
>>35910802
Sup
>>
>>35911224

Exactly, my 15 years of personal experience as an athlete, student, and athletic trainer at a division 1 athletic department pale in comparison to your secondhand anecdotal information.
>>
>>35910521
underrated
>>
>>35910997

Yes, 20+ years of going atg at powerlifting weights is bad for your knees.

For leftover 90% of humans that squat, atg is perfectly fine. In fact, it is preferred.
>>
>>35911268
Still isn't 20+ years of professional lifting.

Besides your telling me to not take peoples advice besides yours?
You might be proud of your achievements, but it's not like you're immediately a special snowflake.
>>
>>35910802
>"famous" for acting like a spastic retard playing shitty games like 5 Nights at Freddies and H1Z1
>humblebragging about it on a Tibetan monk monastery architecture forum

Please consider suicide
>>
>>35911334

I never gave you any advice, let alone forced you to take it. I only stated that I disagree with your conclusion that atg squats are more harmful than parallel based on my experience. You have no experience on which to base your conclusion, just anecdotal evidence from a small subset of lifters.
>>
>>35911324
Alternating between them is preferred.
ATG is only preferred because it activates the muscles more.
Parallel squats will cause you to squat safer by preferring to place less stress on the knees and spinal joints in the long term
>>
>>35911421
The lower you go the safer it is though since as you said it activates more.
>>
>>35911397
You claimed that atg is better than paralell, i call that (unwanted) advice.
And who said that i don't have any experience to base my findings on?
You should've asked if i ever experienced problems with it before you started making baseless assumptions.

And how do you think those lifters came to those conclusions?
You can go below paralell, but you don't have to go atg (unless you train for the snatch, but we're discussing squats atm).

You were a footballplayer, you trained for explosivieness, so it'd make sense (keyword) for you (another keyword) to go atg, but it doesn't make it a necessity for a powerlifter or a bodybuilder.
>>
File: 1362887080807.jpg (58KB, 324x321px) Image search: [Google]
1362887080807.jpg
58KB, 324x321px
>>35911397

R E K T
E
K
T
>>
>>35911547

Stating that i disagreed with you is not the same as giving you advice. I don't believe you have adequate personal experience to support your claim because if you did, you would have stated that as the basis for your argument. The personal experience of qualified individuals is always more relevant than secondhand sources. Additionally, if you had relevant personal experience then you would have shared it. Instead, you have only implied that you do. You could have shared this with us at any time without being asked, as it would have supported your position.

Atg is bad for your knees when working at high weight for an extended period of time, which makes senae in the realm of powerlifting. Also, it is bad when not utilizing proper form or when dealing with prexisting injuriesn. In these respects we are in agreement. For the remaining majority of those who make squatting a primary part of their program, atg has shown to be more beneficial than just parallel.
>>
File: 1362498968618.jpg (38KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
1362498968618.jpg
38KB, 562x437px
>>35911421
>>35911766

>using sound logic
>giving thoughtful responses
>on /fit/

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>35910459

Squatting past parallel usually does more harm than good. MOST (not all) people don't have the mobility to maintain a neutral spine past parallel. Almost none of the articles you'll read anywhere talks about that.
>>
>>35911818

So it's not going past parallel that causes problems, it's poor form?
>>
>>35911818
this guy knows whats up
>>
>>35911077
>https://www.t-nation.com/training/7-reasons-to-squat-like-a-man

This is the only one of those that gives ANY mention to the fact that squatting deeper will lead to messing up your form for most people.
>>
>>35911826
For most people depth correlates to poor form. The more you focus on depth as the only thing of equal importance to weight, the more you forget about proper form.

IF you can keep a neutral spine, start scraping your balls on the floor - go deep. You should never sacrifice form for depth though. Almost every "atg" squatter out there has ridiculous buttwink because they think depth + weight == good squat.

I'd always ALWAYS rather see some squatting 95lbs going less than parallel because they know that's what they can do with their current mobility.
>>
>>35910375
"I don't take advice from people smaller than me"
>>
>>35911766
1. Like i said, i have advices from professional powerlifters and i didn't received said advice for no reason, i'm just not the type that goes around talking about his own achiements on a Japanese origami website, because the achievements don't matter when the content is solid and what i said was solid, mr pro.
So there's no need to do so, i at least could care less.

2. I'm always assuming that we're dealing with guys who intend to work for years and with heavy weights.
And, if i'm not mistaken, the knees of athletes tend to wear down faster than other group and that should say something.
>>
>>35911895

Absolutely spot on, brah.

I'd say that 80% of all incoming freshmen athletes for the school i work for need to be retrained in squat form at a lower weight. Even when they get a handle on it, a lot revert to poor form when they're going for PRs later
>>
>>35911938

>assumptions, ad hominem, and anecdotal evidence.

Get with the program, buddy. You made a blanket statement that atg squats are more harmful than parallel, but you refuse to back it up with anything substantial. Another guy comes along, says he disagrees, gives personal qualifications as to why he says so, and all you do us try to discredit him wirh personal attacks.

You can't back up anything you said. Hit the showers, kid. The grown upsa are talking niw
>>
>>35912047
Ad hominem is the stuff you were trying to pull buddy, don't try to turn the mirror into a looking glass.

Your qualifications don't mean that you're automatically right everytime you open your mouth about something that falls in your " field of expertise".
We have millions of people working in sports and education and less than 75% agrees with eachother over 80% of the time.

You're not really good in this argumentation business aren't you?
Because arguments work, credentials not so much, but you probably knew that already.

you made this stuff personall by saying that you must be right, because of your job, again, would've been better if you instead said th reasons as to why you think so, but i'm not lecturing.
>>
>>35912139
I'm not the guy you've been arguing with.

ad hominem: (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Exactly what you were doing every time. It's what you are trying to do right now, along with a healthy dose of projection.

>Your qualifications don't mean that you're automatically right everytime you open your mouth about something that falls in your " field of expertise"

I don't think anyone would honestly assume he's automatically right, but he makes a better argument than you do.

>We have millions of people working in sports and education and less than 75% agrees with eachother over 80% of the time.

citations needed

>Because arguments work, credentials not so much, but you probably knew that already.

This is going to need some further explanation, purely for entertainment purposes.

>you made this stuff personall by saying that you must be right, because of your job, again, would've been better if you instead said th reasons as to why you think so, but i'm not lecturing.

The irony in this statement is beautiful.

Maybe you should practice what you preach, eh? Drop some knowledge on us. All you've given us is a 3rd party opinion and nothing else.

Back up your argument, breh.
>>
File: 1444087334229.gif (2MB, 663x603px) Image search: [Google]
1444087334229.gif
2MB, 663x603px
>>35912233
Seems to me like you're not getting it at all.

You're claiming my arguments are ad hominem, because they're adressed to the guy, but the guy hasn't put out any arguments exept his persona.
To which i responded that that doesn't fly.

> he makes a better argument than you do.

If dumping qualifications count as arguments then yes, he does make better arguments.

>citations needed

The amount of fitness articles that contradict eachther make it so that a citation isn't needed.

> entertainment purposes.

Not Comedy Central

>All you've given us is a 3rd party opinion

I wasn't asked to elaborate, i was asked to join a credential war

>Back up your argument, breh

Funny you're the first one to ask

"Yes, it's true that the lifter won't be capable of handling as much weight during ATG squats. However, this is a byproduct of decreased motor unit recruitment and reduced muscle activation necessary for achieving such a collapsed position. As a result, the lifter is punished with compromised contraction strength and reduced force-producing capabilities.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/real-science-of-squat-depth

So there's that.
I can find more articles, but even the other guy said that not going ATG when doing squatting often and heavy is more beneficial in the long run, so there's no need for it.
>>
>>35912466

>The amount of fitness articles that contradict eachther make it so that a citation isn't needed.
>https://www.t-nation.com/training/real-science-of-squat-depth

Not even playing by your own rules

Truly, this has evolved from a "gym autism" thread to a "/fit/ autism" thread

Final verdict: atg all day every day
>>
>>35912466

I know you're easily swayed by blog posts and the dulcet tones of old men giving random lifing advice, but maybe you should consider more scholarly sources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23821469
>>
>>35912638
>>35912466

Just in case you miss it

>With the same load configuration as in the deep squat, half and quarter squat training with comparatively supra-maximal loads will favour degenerative changes in the knee joints and spinal joints in the long term. Provided that technique is learned accurately under expert supervision and with progressive training loads, the deep squat presents an effective training exercise for protection against injuries and strengthening of the lower extremity. Contrary to commonly voiced concern, deep squats do not contribute increased risk of injury to passive tissues
>>
File: H-hold me fit.png (199KB, 1200x1332px) Image search: [Google]
H-hold me fit.png
199KB, 1200x1332px
Be yesterday, shoulder day

>Finishing up set of high pulls
>Mirin' rare QT that ventured over to the free weights
>She mirin' back
>after I finish my set, she comes over and says "Hey muscles, I like your shirt"
>I say "thanks, haha. You too."
>I literally said a meme
>I am the literal face of /fit/ autism
>She gives an awkward smile and walks away
>Avoids eye contact the rest of workout

I'm going to die alone.
>>
>>35912685

What? You want to run before you can walk?

When you're in the gym, romeo, just worry about your workout
>>
>>35910521
made me kek
>>
File: 1445028273281.gif (187KB, 190x199px) Image search: [Google]
1445028273281.gif
187KB, 190x199px
>>35912568
Then don't ask me to back it up

>>35912638
I've read it.
However, this article is about deep squats.
ATG is a extreme form of a deep squat.

And it said this:
" A search of relevant scientific publications was conducted between March 2011 and January 2013 using PubMed. Over 164 articles were included in the review. There are no realistic estimations of knee-joint forces for knee-flexion angles beyond 50° in the deep squat. Based on biomechanical calculations and measurements of cadaver knee joints, the highest retropatellar compressive forces and stresses can be seen at 90°"
>Based on biomechanical calculations and measurements of cadaver knee joints
>calculations

Plus you spend more time under tension when you don't go ATG.
>>
>>35910997
<:^)
>>
>>35912751

>anecdotal evidence is more relevant than empirical evidence

Surely, you can cite a study for your reasoning.
>>
File: confused.jpg (1MB, 1699x1130px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
1MB, 1699x1130px
>>35912751

>ATG is a extreme form of a deep squat

Wait what?

I thought they were the same.
>>
>>35912685
Nothing you said was wrong. You could've actually liked her shirt, or like she was saying about you, you liked the body under the shirt. You fucked up immediately afterwards.
>>
>>35911197

Experience is actually ever-changing our perspective you jackass, it's the very nature of it
>>
>>35912827

They are.

Anon has been misled by group of old powerlifters feeding him anecdotal advice and powdered semen
>>
Holy shit anecdotal guy got fucking owned by football guy
>>
>>35910939
Please tell me you're not this retarded
>>
>>35910420
she knew you just wanted them to turn around so you could stare at their asses better.
>>
>>35910521
Top kek
>>
>>35910375
>Hot fitness bitch goes on machine directly across from me
>avoid eye contact, act aloof

why
>>
>someone gives shit advice
>'k'
wow that sure was hard to handle
>>
File: 1394056578868.gif (327KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
1394056578868.gif
327KB, 640x472px
>>35910511
>"hello, I am trying to be helpful by reaching out to my fellow man."

>"BURN IN HELL YOU SUB-HUMAN MANLET SCUM!!! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AND YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"
>>
>>35911107
>the leading authority on squats in the world

I do drive by visits of /fit/ just to be able to read sentences like this.
>>
>>35910459
Nigger if you really DID just read it on the internet, then you're in the wrong here.
Never ever ever ever ever do something until you either a) Understand why, or b) Must make a choice
>>
>friends with gym bro who is friends with receptionist (who is a turboqt)
>one day notice she has shorter hair
>a few days later she cut her hair even shorter
>"hehe even shorter today!"
>she looks at me a bit stunned
>keep walking thinking, oh well, who cares.
>wait a minute, realize shes really short
>turn back and say "I mean your hair not you"
fuck
>>
>>35912827
>>35912852
Implying you cannot go between paralell and ATG

ISHYGDDT

>>35912852
Our perspective might change, but the experience stays the same dumbass
>>
>>35912798
kek, implying the article you posted wasn't based on calculations instead of research by means of testsubjects

>Surely, you can cite a study for your reasoning.

Why should i stop there?
>>
>>35910375
>>35910423
>>35910459

Just say "Okay, thanks." and continue to squat the way you were squatting. Why did you feel the need to listen to this person?
>>
>>35916564

Our experience is gone immediately and replaced with memory of the experience, and memory is notoriously untrustworthy. What are you claiming endures?
>>
>>35910375
He was right, you know? ATG is a meme exercise and WILL fuck up your knees sooner or later.
>>
>>35916580

Holy shit you are an idiot. What do you think they did these calculations on? You think they just pick random numbers and start doing stats you fucking halfwit?
>>
File: 1454440743994.jpg (110KB, 366x558px) Image search: [Google]
1454440743994.jpg
110KB, 366x558px
>>35916275
kek
>>
File: 1454539419573.jpg (12KB, 252x238px) Image search: [Google]
1454539419573.jpg
12KB, 252x238px
>>35910375
>finish deadlifting 410 for reps
>lanklet comes up to me
>tells me its easier to load the weight on the bar if i leave it resting on the rack
>ask him what he knows about lifting heavy weight
>says hes just trying to help
>tell him to go eat a burger
>>
>>35910622
Also known as my ass.
>>
>>35916852
Was he not right.....?
>>
File: 1450465710184.jpg (173KB, 1403x981px) Image search: [Google]
1450465710184.jpg
173KB, 1403x981px
>>35910459
I'm late but here you go anyway.
>>
>>35916852
that's pretty embarrassing unless you were lifting 410 kilograms
>>
>>35910521
I kekked hard
>>
>>35910375
Proper reply:
>thanks, unsolicited advice guy
Keep on atg
>>
File: oIWkgGU[1].jpg (160KB, 687x434px) Image search: [Google]
oIWkgGU[1].jpg
160KB, 687x434px
>>35910997
Squatting atg is always better! Have you ever seen a slav squatting 90 degrees? no? That's because russians have mastered the squat, they know what's up
/thread
>>
>>35918352
>coming in to an argument with facts
>>
>>35910554
lol you sound like a cunt from this and your responses. maybe u should just stay on the internet
>>
>>35920013
I've seen this pic hundreds of times, and I only just now noticed the purses and baby...
>>
>>35911397
I think you're replying to someone with autsim
>>
This thread is so horrible that it has blurred the lines to transcend b8 broscience and reality. But no one understands why atg has become famous.

First, atg became big because everyone got tired of 1/4 squatting assholes e-statting. If someone who half reps their shit is told to go atg most of the time they will only hit depth.

The 2nd important thing, despite what people say, not everyone can hit atg without hideous buttwink. This isn't always flexibility issue, some peoples hip sockets simply don't allow it.

Third, the 'muh quads' argument. Yes, your quads are maxed out around parallel. If you hit propper depth you will hit your quads more. But does atg=more quads? Slightly yes, but not an appreciable difference. If you watch klokov, our favorite sexy russian do his atg high bar, watch his hips out of the bottom. What do they do? They rise and shoot back. This is not working his quads hard to do. Same way a good morning squat happens when your quads aren't able to lift the weight.

Atg elitist retards who don't understand shit are annoying. Atg has its place but is not superior to a good depth squat.

>it took tremendous autism to write this. So I'm still on topic
>>
>>35910459
I use big words and say them quickly, this makes people think I know what I'm talking about, and leave me alone simultaneously. "Actually, you increase femoropatellar and patellotibial shearing forces by stopping at 90°. If you go below parallel and heavily activate your glutes and hamstrings, the concentric motion helps drastically reduce the strain on your knees and back". This has actually cured some people of half squatting at my gym.
>>
File: albundy2.jpg (42KB, 400x358px) Image search: [Google]
albundy2.jpg
42KB, 400x358px
>>35910375
>on the deadlift platform
>doing diddylifts with 4plate
>some skinnyfat guy shows up
>"damn, brah, this looks heavy"
>"yeah"
>grabs the bar without warming up
>tries to lift it with shit form
>can't even move it
>leaves
>"what was that about?"
>add another 10kg
>PT and some other dude pass by
>this guy tries the same thing too
>fails
>"I would've lifted if I had my staps"
>mfw
>>
>>35910802
Jesus christ, this just confirmed that people on twitch are massive faggots
>>
>>35921246

This is the kind of autism I can get behind. Thanks for looking at the big picture, brah.

>This isn't always flexibility issue, some peoples hip sockets simply don't allow it.

Too many people take proper form for granted. Not all body types are built for proper ATG. Additionally, teaching proper form and improving flexibility can be a monumental task for a lot of people. It's especially difficult when trying to correct some deeply ingrained bad form. IT's a feat just to get someone like this to perform a good deep squat, let alone ATG
>>
File: Magneto.gif (446KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
Magneto.gif
446KB, 500x200px
>>35912139
>Because arguments work, credentials not so much, but you probably knew that already.

Truly, we have reached peak autism
>>
>>35915003
>See something I know nothing about except what I read once when skimming through Muscle and Fitness while waiting for a flight
>Decide to run over and tell this idiot whats hes doing wrong even though the advice I gave is actually what my bro told me and i mistakenly mixed it up with the M&F article
>Dude responds - I know what Im doing, I didnt ask for your ridiculous and uneducated advice. You are wasting my time so fuck off
>Its like that asshole doesnt even want to hear my opinion when hes busy doing something to better himself
>>
>>35916275
nice
>>
>>35910459
I'll usually give facts about Sheering force on knees due to centre of gravity then, even though it's kinds brief, tell the person to touch their ankle to ass by bending knee, did it hurt? No, because that's full range of motion and is perfectly fine to squat all the way to there providing you have the mobility but anything past 90 is fine
>>
File: peti.png (161KB, 304x268px) Image search: [Google]
peti.png
161KB, 304x268px
>>35910521
kek
>>
>>35921246
Stuart McGill goes over this shit. Recommend to anyone. Your hip socket plays the biggest role, like I can squar fairly below parallel as a 6'8 dude and find it comfier squatting narrower considering my height and long femurs. Someone who's a lot shorter could squat a lot wider depending on their anatomy.
>>
>>35910997
Weight lifting in general is going to be harsh on your joints.
It is the price we pay for glootz.
>>
>atg vs. parallel

Oh great, this shit again.

Studies have shown that atg squats are no more harmful than parallel squats.

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23821469

The truth is that all squatting will have a negative impact on knee, ankle, and/or hip joints over time. It cannot be prevented, only delayed
>>
>>35918352

What does EMG and shear mean?

Not native english speaker by the way
>>
>>35923290
Unless you're on ostarine ;D
>>
>>35923368
>The truth is that all squatting will have a negative impact on knee, ankle, and/or hip joints over time. It cannot be prevented, only delayed

life has negative impact on knee, ankle, and hip joints.

do squatters experience lower joint problems sooner than non-athletes?

That's all I really care about.
>>
File: 1423754214974.jpg (34KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
1423754214974.jpg
34KB, 500x339px
>go to super small town gym
>girl I sort of work with is the only other one there in the morning
>shoot the shit between sets sometimes
>last time she says "I shit you not there was a fat woman in the changing room eating a baguette."
>"A baguette?"
>"Yeah, like a whole baguette."
>There is no way this is true but also have no idea why she'd make that up
>Go to the gym this morning
>Huge bitch at the front counter arguing with the desk staff as I head into the lockers
>She's holding a baguette in either hand

I know there must be more to this story but I have no idea what it could be.
>>
>>35923427

Yes, because it's added stress.
>>
>>35923387

EMG = electromyography

this is a method to measure the amount of force produced by a muscle.

something has shear when two forces are pushing the object in opposite directions, like paper being cut by scissors.
>>
>>35923427

>does stressful, continued use of a specific joint or series of joint lead to an earlier onset of problems as opposed to normal use?

It's an enigma. We may never know.
>>
>>35923427
I imagine that genetics and form play a pretty good part in it, but someone who reguarly lifts heavy isn't going to have great joints as they get older.
But when you get older, everything starts to suck anyway. Your body starts decaying and then you die, why not enjoy a great pair of gloots while you can?
>>
>>35923501

So, bascially I need to be below paralell to avoid any and all shear?
>>
>>35910521
>wind blowing in grass outside feels like daggers on my skin
Kek'd.
>>
>>35923505

But weren't squats supposed to build strong and healthy knees?
>>
>>35923506
>>35923427
>>35923451
Well, there are proven studies that show that excersie helps bone and joint function but I'm not sure it that considers lifting really heavy.

I don't think there is enough evidence at this time to show if heavy lifting will have a large impact later in life
>>
>>35923451
>>35923505
>we may never know
do you feel good being clever

passive tissues/structures experience growth and adaptation, too. not just muscles.

Is there a sweet spot in the frequency and duration of squatting/athletics that is beneficial to joints over inactivity?
>>
File: motherfucking-game.png (328KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
motherfucking-game.png
328KB, 500x483px
>>35923565

No, the inactive are always the healthiest
>>
>>35913018
I just don't know what's bait and what's not these days ...
>>
>>35923565
>Is there a sweet spot in the frequency and duration of squatting/athletics that is beneficial to joints over inactivity?

Light/hypertrophy days and heavy/strength days as opposed to training heavy the majority of training days?
>>
File: ykk.png (125KB, 667x779px) Image search: [Google]
ykk.png
125KB, 667x779px
>guy gives me unwarranted wrong advice
>thanks but this works best for me
>>
>>35921246
>Same way a good morning squat happens when your quads aren't able to lift the weight

Anyone got advice for this? I'm doing highbar and the first thing that happens when my form degenerates is my squat turns into a good morning squat
>>
>>35910521
As someone who has worked with many autistic children and has witnessed many breakdowns such as this . . . this has made me sad.
#goinginraw
>>
>>35910375
>Doing squats
>dudebro walks up
>"Hey can I give you some advice on your squats?"
>"No."

And that's the end of that
>>
File: 1450753446576.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450753446576.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>at gym
>benching in the power rack, resting 5 minutes per set
>guy comes up to me and says I should only rest 90 seconds if I want to build muscle or all the blood will go out of my muscles or some shit
>he says he's a trainer
>mfw I've built plenty of muscle using 5 minute rest periods and am lifting primarily for strength anyway
>say "ok", ignore advice and proceed with 5 minute rest periods
thank god I'm growing out of my autism
>>
>>35925819
I hate faggots like you. There is no reason you need 5 min rest unless you are lifting at an Olympic level. Youre fucking lazy and hogging the equipment.
>>
File: Joyful.jpg (10KB, 251x240px) Image search: [Google]
Joyful.jpg
10KB, 251x240px
>>35925990

>too afraid to ask to work in
>Indulges in impotent rage instead.
>>
>>35925766
Your back is compensating for your legs. You need stronger legs.
>>
>>35925990

>I can't even squat my bodyweight
>>
>>35925990
if your autism is so bad you can't ask to work in then you deserve to stay weak
>>
>>35926025
yea, I want to change the weight, do two sets while that faggot is "resting", change the weight again, wait for some faggot to pop out a few reps then repeat the whole process.
>>
File: HOLY SHIT IS THAT MIKE TYSON.gif (495KB, 194x172px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY SHIT IS THAT MIKE TYSON.gif
495KB, 194x172px
>>35926042

>Wants to make gains
>Doesn't want to work for it
>Gets angry at the suggestion

Never gonna make it.
>>
>>35926042
You'd prefer to wait 25-30 minutes for me to finish? Looks like you're not actually in any kind of rush
>>
>>35926042

Is this guy there every time you work out? You should just find a different time to work out since you're too autistic to ask to work in.
>>
>>35925791
>worked with many autistic children
>going in raw
wat
>>
File: 1448877449731.jpg (68KB, 668x712px) Image search: [Google]
1448877449731.jpg
68KB, 668x712px
>too autistic to join up for a gym (don't want people talking to me)
>have to pay a gorillion dollars for weights all the time

Kill me
>>
>>35926025
>>35926032
>>35926039
>>35926073
>>35926083
>>35926097

Forgot to mention manlet here. Working in blows because the bar is always one spot too high

>inb4 angry manlet
I just fucking told you I was
>>
>>35926117

Would you say it's more or less frustrating then when mom puts the good cereal on the top shelf?
>>
>>35926117
Fucking manlets, just sudoku already.
>>
>>35926117

But not as frustrating as putting your workout on hold for a half hour?
>>
File: snew.jpg (90KB, 1200x1053px) Image search: [Google]
snew.jpg
90KB, 1200x1053px
>>35926117

How do you get to the gym during a snowstorm?
>>
>>35926111
Autism is the single greatest obstacle to gains.

Take the leap bro, you'll be glad you did.
>>
File: 1452245551316.jpg (570KB, 1750x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1452245551316.jpg
570KB, 1750x2500px
>>35910554
nice one retard
>>
>>35922223 >>35923247 >>35925766

I'm surprised I didn't get btfo for that...

As for the fix of good morning squats, the anon was right about leg strength. When you squat a weight beyond your 'technical' max it will turn into a good morning.

If you want a way to fight a good morning from happening, you can either try to drive your hips under the bar or try to push your traps into the bar from the beginning. Whichever you find works. If neither work, lower the weight for the sake of your back. A good morning squat tends to be unsafe.

If you were local I'd gladly get you a guest pass and help as needed. I'm not a coach and I'm not perfect myself. But I have taught enough people to know how to get you on the right path.
>>
>>35927822
Oh right. Local... 408 Cali btw.
>>
Different anon but also 408...golds Santa Clara
>>
>>35928323
U want sum lift? I go to a small gym in smellpitas. But if you wanna have me do a day with you at golds would be nicer.
>>
>>35916901

Pretty sure the lanklet assumed he was going to bench with it.

Probably doesn't know what a DL is.
>>
>>35911895
So true. Had to stop squatting for like a month because I had a preposterous buttwink and the associated lower back pain.
>>
File: 1454611524855.jpg (56KB, 700x401px) Image search: [Google]
1454611524855.jpg
56KB, 700x401px
Just happened today
>doing squats/deadlifts/power cleans
>gym only has on squat rack to do these in
>only in my first set of squats before some guy comes over and asks how may sets I have left
>autism kicks in
>o-only one more man
>proceed to do one more set even though I still have my whole work out left.
>I'm now waiting in the coffee area for him to leave so I can finish work out.
Just kill me now
>>
>>35925819
You dont rest 5 minutes between sets unless you tax the entire body by lifting at a pro level you being insanely weak have no business resting that long and you hog the equipment
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>35930561
>only one more set

every - fuckin - time
>>
>>35931813
What do you atg squat?
>>
>>35932031
I bench more than you squat.
>>
>>35931813
>>35932039
Well, how about I just knock you flat on you're ass you troll, that sound any better to you? Just name the time and the place and I'll be there.
>>
>>35930561
do something about that autism, bro
>>
>>35932224
>youre a troll
Christ go back to tumblr or rbodybuilding you enormous faggot
Ps youre weak and a fat piece ofshit
>>
>>35921246
>not everyone can hit atg without hideous buttwink
>buttwink
What is that?
>>
>>35932929
Its when your ass tucks under you at the bottom of a squat. Causing rounding of your lower back. No idea where the term came from.
>>
>>35910830
>>35911377
>>35910679
>>35910830
Why the fuck are people getting so butt destroyed just because other people get paid to play vidya? Just, how does the fact that someone does something affect you in any way?
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.