[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you do a set of Deadlifts, should you be doing rep after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 1

File: haha time for deadlift.jpg (65KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
haha time for deadlift.jpg
65KB, 450x373px
When you do a set of Deadlifts, should you be doing rep after rep in quick succession or is it okay to take like 10-20 seconds to cool down a bit?
>>
You should pause a little between each rep to set up and make sure you've got the bar in the proper position before a rep.
>>
>>35638704
You should also let the weight come to a deadhalt on the floor, that's where the name comes from.

The amount of pricks in the gym bouncing this shit off the floor each rep is fucking unbelievable
>>
>>35638704
10-20sec between reps is a bit much but yes.
Maybe like 2-4 is more realistic.
>>
>>35638704
Max acceptable rest time between reps in any heavy compound lift is 2-3 seconds.
>>
>>35638842
I make sure to tell those people they're doing the workout wrong
>>
>>35638902
>Max acceptable rest time between reps in any heavy compound lift is 2-3 seconds
no it isn't
just give yourself 45s to complete the set in or something depending on how many reps you're doing
>>
>>35638842

..so that's why the following reps seem easier
>>
>>35638902
According to you, that is.
>>
>>35638934
>no it isn't
yes it is

>just give yourself 45s to complete the set in or something
the fuck are you trying to say
>>
I take a big inhale, then lift. Exhale on the way down. There is about a second or two pause where I'm inhaling for the next rep. Don't be a supreme faggot and bounce.
>>
>>35638888
quads of truth
>>
>>35638704
>that pic looks familiar
>>
>>35638934
If you need to take three quarters of a minute break to complete your fucking set, you're doing it wrong.

>yeah man i can bench 3 plates for 10 reps
>i just take a one minute break after rep 5
>>
>>35639065
>caring about your 10RM
>>
>>35638961
Find me one reputable source in all of bodybuilding, powerlifting or olympic weightlifting that would condone taking a >5s break BETWEEN reps.
>>
>>35638704
dude, do you.
if you're not hurting yourself and progressing in weight do it this way. if you're worried about the time it takes to complete the set then set out to reduce your times by training differently.
>>
>>35639089
You were the one making a claim, you find me a source that supports >>35638902

Besides, if the work done is equal, the difference between 2s between reps and 10-15s between reps will be miniscule.
>>
>>35638842
That's called a touch-and-go deadlift.
>>
>>35638953
Not just that, but you also create tension to your hamstrings, glutes and quads on the way down allowing greater contraction.

Its the same as trying to squat from the bottom position. A lot harder than doing a proper squat?
>>
>>35638902
The only compound where resting between reps will help you in the slightest is the deadlift.

Do you think standing there with the bar on your back between squat reps is gonna make the next rep easier?
>>
>>35639150
>what is time under tension

I don't need to source a claim that is essentially common sense.
>>
>>35639208
Please find me a source that supports your implication that TuT as an alone factor will give you greater strength or hypertrophy gains.
>>
>>35639208
how are you under tension if you let the weight come to a rest for 2-3 secs? wouldn't you still be releasing tension?
>>
>>35639162
>Its the same as trying to squat from the bottom position. A lot harder than doing a proper squat?

Not sure why the question mark but Anderson Squats are the shit if you find yourself relying heavily on the stretch reflex.
>>
>>35638704
If you need 10-20secs that's a bit much. If I can't do another rep in <5s from the previous one I call it a set and stop.

>>35638842
I know a dude whose workouts are all supersets all the time as in db shoulderpress into deadlift into curls. He doesn't even look terribly ripped and does 160kg DL for one rep at the least and 2,5-3 pl8 for 10 reps without touching the weight down (does the full ROM but stops 5cm from the ground). Smoking for 20 years, drinks a ton, and he isn't even serious about his workouts. Not really connected to this thread, except the part about the deadlifts, just amazed at this dude.
>>
>>35639124

>do you

i know this is a fag board but there are lmits
>>
>>35639342
dew you bae
>>
>>35639300
If you wanna hear something crazy, I train with the superheavyweight Powerlifting champion of Australia.

He had a 300kg deadlift and 260kg squat after 6 months of training, he smokes inbetween sets, he never does any accessory movements at all, and right before setting a 342.5kg national record squat at a comp, he was chain smoking 3 cigarettes in less than 5 mins, then just calmly walks up to the bar and made it look like nothing.

Dude has the craziest genetics I've ever seen but doesn't even try to maximize his potential
>>
>>35639065
>If you need to take three quarters of a minute break to complete your fucking set, you're doing it wrong.
>reading comprehension
I'm saying 'I'll try to complete this set of five with 220kg in 45 seconds', not 'I'll do three reps then take a break for 45 seconds in between'
>>
>>35639438
a lot of top strongmen are like that. Loz Shahlei deadlifted 220kg on his first day in the gym, Terry Hollands did something like 260, and Eddie Hall benched 4plate aged 17 having done very little serious lifting. It's mad
>>
>>35639438
What a bastard.
>>
>>35639487
Sources on those claims? Sounds pretty insane desu
>>
>>35639152
It's not a deadlift. DEADlift means from a DEAD stop. When you use momentum you're cheating yourself just like in any other lift, like bouncing the bar off your chest during bench.
>>
>>35639536
https://www.reddit.com/r/Strongman/comments/2sj3xr/we_are_strongman_eddie_hall_and_filmmaker_matt/
Here's the source on Eddie, the others were on TV interviews IIRC so IDK if I can find them
>>
>>35639152
Touch and go floor pull
>>
>>35639438
I know man, it's really unfair. I mean I get excited doing 80kg bench 5x5 and my max dl was something like 110, while my current squat is 82.5 5x5. Been training for almost a year, not very seriously and with some 1-2month pauses but still. I know I'm a manlet with shit bone structure but come on. At least my short arms give me an edge on bp.
>>
>>35639555
True. If you are literally bouncing the bar then there's a problem, but I've never actually seen people do that.
>>
>>35639555
I always train from a deadstop, but Touch n Go deadlifts work fine for building strength and size, you aren't really cheating yourself out of much, if anything, it just makes it easier to do more reps, which is arguably better for size due to more time under tension.
>>
>>35639588
Read >>35639242
Also what you're saying makes no sense. You will have LESS or the SAME time under tension doing touch and go as doing them properly. You're just trying to defend your cheating.
>>
>>35639189
I mean it does help me to give the legs a second or two of rest and get some breath back
>>
>>35639643
Im not the anon you are speaking to, but honestly all bodybuilders do touch and go deadlifts when they train for size. Like the anon side, more time under tension (you can go for more reps). Doing them from dead position is better for strength, since you don't rely so much on the reflex (muscles) but you have to use your CNS more

So are you cheating if you train for a different purpose?
>>
>>35639588
Always felt TnG was just cheating myself though desu.

The first rep is infinitely harder than the subsequent reps because you can work closer to your max with TnG. I was gutted when my deadlift went down so much when I started doing it from a dead stop.
>>
>>35639643
>defend my cheating
No
https://youtu.be/BHQ_LFJOevk
Does this look like touch and go?

Anyway, it's more TUT because you can do more reps.

>>35639718
Depends on your goals, but imo they're both fine for strength and size, it's just if you're looking for the biggest deadlift, deadstop is the way to go.

If you're looking for more size, then do TNG for more reps
>>
>>35639718
At least you aren't a skelly nanlet whose deadlift is limited by grip and whether you have chalk
>>
>>35639759
What is this chalk meme. Do people even understand that some people sweat more --> more sweat on hands

Have you ever tried to lift with sweaty hands? Whats the point. That's like saying that drinking water while eating is cheating because it makes it easier to swallow
>>
>>35639759
Well I'm a DYEL king of manlets, but my deadlift aint too bad (180kg @ 70kg bodyweight). Just do some static holds at the end of your deadlift workouts, or better yet add plate holds/dead hangs twice a week.

>>35639746
Well I need both kek. But dead stop is my ting for those powerlifting gains.
>>
>>35639801
If you're a Powerlifter, then yeah deadstop is what you need senpai
>>
>>35639841
More like if you want a stronger deadlift, then do deadstop for those CNS gains

And if you do squats, deads and bench - don't call yourself a powerlifter. Those are pple that compete
>>
>>35639780
Yes, sweat is the main problem. I couldn't even lock out 15 pounds below my 5 rep max the other day for a single rep because of my grip.
>>
>>35639487

I'm pretty sure that these eat a fuckton
>>
>>35639876

>Train like a powerlifter
>Haven't competed because not strong enough but plan to eventually

>m8 u aren't a powerlifter

That's stupid.
>>
>>35639780
Also, grip is heavily dependent on fatigue, far moreso than other factors. I pulled a 225kg axle without chalk back in September after doing quite a bit of grip work, a week later I pulled a 200kg eleiko bar and it slipped out my hands
had three weeks off training due to illness over Christmas, did farmer's walks the other day and got 130kg/hand
>>
>>35638888
Quads bring truth
>>
>>35639891
why would they have eaten like massive strongmen before they became strongmen? Or even started lifting properly?
>>
>>35639876
Well yes, those too, but also for the fact that you should be simulating competition reps on deadlift all the time, which is from a dead stop for more sport specificity.

Also, I assumed he competed because he mentioned powerlifting, I forgot people call themselves powerlifters without ever competing
>>
>>35639891
Those are bodyweight lifts I'm pretty sure
>>35639925
This is true. I can't deadlift after presses anymore because of grip fatigue
>>
>>35639920
You aren't a Powerlifter just because you train the movements, just like you aren't a Strongman if you decide to train like one, or a football player because you decided to do a pickup game.

Just sign up for a meet, get some numbers in and have some fun, you aren't a powerlifter till you've registered a Powerlifting total desu senpai
>>
>>35639993
b-but I'm too weak, need to bulk up like 2 weight classes fml
>>
>>35639993
>>35639876

Also I never actually called myself a powerlifter, just said I wanted dem powerlifting gains.
>>
>>35640009
You'll be fine mang, lots of people have this mentality, just get on the platform, setsome PR's, and get a feel for what meets are like and get some experience, so that when you are strong, you won't make stupid mistakes in meets that could cost you.

Not to mention that you meet lots of likeminded experienced people who can teach you things that'll help you a lot with your lifting
>>
>>35639189
>Do you think standing there with the bar on your back between squat reps is gonna make the next rep easier?
Yes actually. An old method of training squats was to do your 10 rep max for twenty reps taking as much rest between reps as needed with a set usually taking three or four minutes
>>
>>35638934
Thats a single, not a complete set. Stop talking any time.
>>
>>35640086
tell that to competition organisers then, the events for reps they've been doing for years are actually singles
>>
>>35639993
>signs up for local meet, juniors
>wins 65kg class
>out Wilks 80% of the field
>stays forever DYEL

this is why I'm not going to compete for a long time. I have a 950-1000 total now but I'm small as fuck
>>
>>35638704
make it 3-7 sec, just take your time to build up focus again, straighten your back and breath in.

after that go up again.
>>
>>35640185
Why does that matter? You can bulk non stop and still outwilks everyone as long as your total goes up along with it.

But if you're that hesitant to competing, then don't.
All I can say is you will regret not competing sooner.
>>
>>35640185
There is no 65 kg weightclass but that's beside the point. Why would you have to stay DYEL if you start competing? Almost every powerlifter that doesn't start off as a fatso climbs through weightclasses as they get stronger/more experience.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.