[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grip Strength

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 6

File: DeadliftFail.jpg (209KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DeadliftFail.jpg
209KB, 720x1280px
>tfw failed 4pl8 deadlift an inch away from lockout because my bitch forearms can't hold onto the bar

How do I prevent pic related from happening again? I'm so fucking sick of failing deadlifts because I can't hold on to the bar. (Yes, I'm already using chalk, my forearms are just that weak.)
>>
Some will say add straps, which will help the deadlift. If you want your forearms to grow then lower the deadlift weight & use proper grip form (pic related is not "proper")
>>
Was this a one rep max attempt?

If so, don't work your max deadlift too often, you'll burn yourself out, what helped me is during my working sets, on the last rep of my last set, I would just hold the weight for as long as possible. I've held 5plates in my hands for at least 10-15 seconds. Shit will burn and hurt but it will help.

The only way to get better at deadlifts (including grip) is to do more deadlifts.
>>
Farmer walks and just using grips

Are you in pic OP, fuck the buckeyes. Seriously a shit tier school.
>>
>>35489417
There's a bunch of things you can do like weighted hangs, barbell suitcase carries, and things like superset deadlifts/rows, but if you want to continue deadlifting 4pl8 i'd just use some straps.
>>
>>35489442
You mean I should do double overhand? I haven't tested my max with double overhand in a while, but it's probably abysmally low.

>>35489445
Yes, 1RM attempt. I just really wanted to hit the 4pl8 mark to start off the new year. My working sets are usually around 3-3.5 pl8.

Should I hold the weight for as long as possible even with a mixed grip? Or should I switch to double overhand if I plan on doing that?
>>
i had this problem about 8 months ago with 375 now i can hold 445 no problem, it's completely gone now. here's what i did:

high rep lower weight deadlifts
heavy db/bb rows
hammer curls
wrist curls
wrist extensions
pullups/deadhangs
heavy db shrugs
reverse curls
or just hold heavy shit for a few dozen seconds

pick 2 or 3 from that list and do it after every pull workout or after every deadlift workout, whatever you do. the grip problem should be gone within a month minimum
>>
>>35489481
>within a month minimum
i mean maximum lol
>>
>>35489456
Yeah, I guess I'll just go back to doing farmer walks 3x a week.

Yes, that is me. I'm a grad student here though, so I don't really care about the sports. You from Michigan?
>>
My first suggestion would be to use chalk if they'll allow it at your gym, most likely you would of had it with chalk no problem if you were that close. I would never suggest using straps unless you're doing overload work with reverse bands or pulling off blocks. The other anon's suggestion about holding your last deadlifts at the top is another good one. Just sqeeze the hell out of everything and it'll get better. My Fav forearm exercise is barbell or dumbbell shrugs personally.
>>
>>35489481
Thanks. I'll start doing this asap. Any of those exercise you recommend over others?
>>
>>35489662
the db shrugs, wrist curls and extensions. that's what helped me the most, keep in mind these are from my anecdotal experience.

if you feel like those 3 wont help then feel free to pick different ones, they're all decent to be honest.
>>
The gays usually have extremely strong natural grip. Try masterbating other men.

hth
>>
>>35489417
Keep deadlifting. Do warm up sets with double overhand grip. Your grip will get stronger.
>>
>>35489417
Do double overhand as much as possible and wrap your entire hand around the bar. Squeeze as hard as you can on heavy sets.
>>
I'm assuming you use chalk. Holding the bar for an extended period of time(20 seconds or more), or holding the last rep of every set for X seconds is really good grip training since it's ultra specific to the deadlift. Also make sure to grip the bar right, you don't want it to roll around in your hands during the pull.

>>35489442
>(pic related is not "proper")
How much do you deadlift?
>>
>>35489442
Anyone who insists on double overhand literally does not even lift.
>>
>>35489472
hook grip is only grip. learn it, live it, love it
>>
ANON IF I SEE U AT THE ARC IM GONNA COME SLAP YOU IN THE FACE FOR WEARING THAT V NECK LONG RED SOCK LAME SHOE COMBINATION AND DISTURBING MY AESTHETIC EUPHORIA
>>
ALSO U R USING THE WRONG WEIGHTS ON THAT PAD, IF U BREAK IT IM GONNA PUNCH U IN THE DICK
>>
>>35490261
I usually work out at the RPAC though. They were just closed Saturday, so I went to the ARC. And don't make fun of my deadlifting outfit :(
>>
I bet u r a physics grad student
>>
>>35490308
.... How'd you know? O___O
>>
Double over hand up to 3 plates. Rack pulls helped me with grip training and lockout. Usually rep and hold about 50lb less than the max I'm going for. I only 1rm once a month because that some smart dude on some powerlifting podcast said it takes like 3 weeks for the cns to fully recover from heavy deads.
>>
>>35489472
Not who you replied to, but:

I also do static holds with working weight, with mixed grip. Two sets of 1 rep, 10 second hold at the top. Switch hands for each set.

It has definitely helped.
>>
>>35489910
I would insist on double overhand until grip strength fails then immediately switching to mixed grip. It'll usually fail in a heavier warmup set for me.
>>
>>35490356
>O___O
probably remembers you from the gay bar
>>
>>35490479
>gay bar
I.. I have a gf. I can't be gay. R-right, guys?

>>35490308
Seriously, who are you? I'm really curious.
>>
>>35490526
>I.. I have a gf. I can't be gay. R-right, guys?
back that ass up boy
>>
File: Feynman quote on gov.jpg (53KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
Feynman quote on gov.jpg
53KB, 500x654px
>>35490526
I am a Math god who has squatted next to you and overheard u talking about your plebeian understanding of Quantum Physics with a small Asian man.... Muahahahhaha u will nvr kno my identity but I will always have this power over u... Muahahahahahha
>>
>>35490618
>small Asian man
But my workout partner is 6' tall and Middle Eastern.
>>
here's your problem. let me guess. you warm up wuth double overhand when it doesn't fucking matter, like with a plate and then switch to mixed grip and when the weight gives heavy you drop it at the top like george leeman.
>muh grip issues
>muh dropping 1 pl8 dead even though 900+ puller
>annoying like servers and their complaining about tips
>>
>>35490657
arr rook the same
>>
File: Grotendieck.jpg (37KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
Grotendieck.jpg
37KB, 401x600px
>>35490657
At one moment in time there was a small Asian man. I have seen the other as well, I have heard him mock me and my squat form. A devilish creature there can be no doubt
>>
>>35490657
muh lifetime fitness
>>
>>35490707
Answer me, op. This is exactly what you do.
>>
>>35489417
K R O C R O W S
R
O
C

R
O
W
S
>>
>>35490760
I only switch to mixed for working sets and never drop a weight because my gym is on the second floor. Grip strength still holds back every pulling exercise I do. Where's your god now? Kill me.
>>
>>35489417
get a rock climbing finger box and you'll never even need to use mixed grip ever again.

Also
>that belt and neck posture
What's your max with double overhand and no belt?
>>
>>35490707
>>35490760
I warm up with double overhand until around 280+.
I never drop the weight at the top.

I've just always had pathetic grip strength since I started. I remember failing on mixed grip deadlifts at 260 lbs back in the day..

>>35490726
>mocking squat form
Nah, we don't do that. I was a half-squatting bitch my first 3 months of lifting, so I know how it is.
>>
>>35489417
LOL, OP, I was gonna say too bad you're not in Columbus or you pound train with me but I saw your pic and there's that big red O. If you're in Columbus you need to get a session in, a proper one, and you can't be dropping weight from the top.
>>
File: jan-hojer-training1[1].jpg (79KB, 1000x517px) Image search: [Google]
jan-hojer-training1[1].jpg
79KB, 1000x517px
>>35490786
Forgot pic
>>
>>35490804
Stop with the double overhand bullshit, bruv. I've never pulled with double overhand (outside of assisstance pulls). Please stop. There's no need. Just pull normal, hold on to the bar, and that's it. Your grip will get better. This focus on double overhand during your lighter sets is completely useless. Just lift mixed grip and you won't be fatigued by the time you pull heavy. If you wanna work on grip do it when you're not pulling, like with static holds.
>>
>>35490786
>>35490818
that's not the same type of strength you mong
and a great way of blowing your A2 pulleys
If you're doing this shit and aren't destroying V8+ (and I don't mean in your faggot american jugpalaces) then you need to get back to actually climbing stuff you troglodyte
>>
>>35490786
>you'll never even need to use mixed grip ever again.
lmao

>double overhand and no belt
double lmao
>>
>>35490852
This. Cut the bullshit and stop making the descent so slow. Get used to grabbing heavy things. There should never be grip issues. You should be weak off the floor.
>>
>>35490843
This, just hold your last set or two for an extra five to ten seconds.
>>
>>35489472
>>35489910
I literally didn't mention double overhand. His pic is not "proper grip" because he's basically about to drop the weight. The position of the bar is correct in his hands, and the deadlift itself is fine, you can just tell he's about to drop it. If you want stronger grip, work with weights you can actually grip. Just like if you want a stronger chest, you bench press weights you can actually do.
>>
>>35489417
Grip strength is technique as much as anything
Try hook grip or over/under
>>
>>35490882
Bingo. Somebody gets it. Don't take grip advice from anyone who has grip issues. If you have grip issues there's a serious problem. The easiest part of any lift is holding the weight. That's all you gotta do. With deads make sure your hands are hooks and the weight doesn't fall unless your hands are coming down with it. Don't drop the weight, ever. Even if you have to come down with it, make sure your hands are still on it.
>>
>>35490927
It's not "proper" because it's falling out of his fucking hands because his grip is failing tbqhwy family
>>
OP is prob pretty fucking smart. Physics grad at tOSU is not easy to get into. Too bad he can't hold weight.
>>
Let me end this thread. Come to my gym in Columbus tomorrow at 9:30 AM and see how to actually get strong now that I read through the comments and did in fact confirm that you're here, too. Let me give you a hint. It's not in Wo-town, it ain't on campus, and it sure as fuck isn't in Dublin. If you're serious you'll make it and stop bitching about grip bullshit. Bitch about an actual chore like getting stuck on the ground and having to do deficits for 3 months, Until then make it over here so we can help each other with a thing or two.
>>
Would wrist rollers help with grip?
>>
>>35491062
WESTSIIIIIDE WOOOOOOO
>>
>>35491071
Lots of blood flow and good hypertrophy. Stick with static holds and farmer's and not being a pussy and using overhand on 1pl8 warm-ups.
>>
>>35491081
No, absolutely not.We want you to have a strong deadlift. It's still in the city.
>>
>>35491096
Gradview Barbell?
>>
>>35491088

Thanks.
>>
>>35491125
Nah, you wouldn't come either way. It's in UA. Granted, if you did make it I could get a form check on some squats and get some mobility work in.
>>
>>35491136
Yeah, no problem. Don't be afraid to grind, brother.
>>
File: hunchback[1].jpg (149KB, 1328x1861px) Image search: [Google]
hunchback[1].jpg
149KB, 1328x1861px
>>35489910
> not doing double overhand
Is this your pic ?
>>
>>35490657
>Middle Eastern.
google asia m8 im sure u'll realize something
>>
my double overhand max is the 2nd rep of 315 and my mixed grip no belt of course is 405. that seem pretty solid gripwise or should i be trying to double overhand my max?
>>
>>35491270
Egypt sure is in Asia.
>>
>>35491168
Snap Fitness in Upper Arlington?
>>
>>35491270
>implying golden samurai are afaid of the eternal jew
>implying golden peking race is the same as west asian mongrels
>mfw
>>
>>35491270
When people say Asian they usually mean Eastern Asian. I wouldn't call 6' small though, so he still isn't right.
>>
>>35491323
Lifetime, brah,
>>
>>35491323
Do you smoke Fluzzle Nuzzle?
>>
You missed your chance. I'm out of this thread. I won't be coming back.
>>
>>35491347
Just signed up for a free trial for the one on Henderson road. How much are memberships there and do they allow chalk?
>>
>>35491220
>le imbalance maymay

Show me a picture of somebody who's developed imbalances from mixed grip. I'll wait.
>>
>>35491317
That's the near east tbf
>>
>>35491481
I stopped using chalk. Really find I don't need it. And it's only about 40 bucks, I think. I don't pay much attention to it, just put it on my debit. Meet up tomorrow at 9:30?
>>
>>35491481
I bought a cambered squat bar for Christmas and they did say I can use it. Will be coming in the next week. Coming back from 4 month hiatus so strength is about 85-90%. Would love to have a PL crew, though.
>>
>>35491549
I can't make 9:30 :(
I need to meet with my adviser to go over what I've been working on over the break. I could come by later though.
>>
>>35491661
Got work til 4. Thursday bench session?
>>
>>35491690
I'm driving to Cleveland to hang out with my gf all day Thursday. Deadlifts on Saturday would work for me though.
>>
>>35491704
Saturday at 1:00 PM?
>>
>>35491762
Yeah, sure. I'll be wearing a similar outfit to the OP picture deadlifting baby weights.
>>
>>35489910
You supposed use mixed grip when going above 90%
>>
>>35491802
Don't worry, lol. I'm coming back from an injury so I'll be pulling around the same numbers. Could definitely use you for some form help, though. Shit tier mobility. Just starting up proper. Good to get a few new bros together and hit some heavy weights, though. I'll be there. If you no show I won't be pissed but it'd be kinda gay.
>>
>>35491884
No, t.b.h.
>>
File: captains.jpg (25KB, 364x450px) Image search: [Google]
captains.jpg
25KB, 364x450px
>>35489417

Buy the trainer and #1. Enjoy having a strong grip.
>>
>>35489417
>belt
>chalk
why didnt you just ask someone else to pick up the weight for you and stand there watching it would be the same result
>>
>>35491887
I'll be there. Idk, if I'm the best to ask for form help though. People always tell me I'm a really back dominant puller and that I need to involve my hamstrings more.
>>
>>35491088
Use overhand until you can't not just warmups
>>
>>35492013
Just in general. In my brief time training I've always been kinda sloppy, could use someone to tell me when I'm fucking up. A little programming help won't hurt, either. Shit should be pretty solid, what are your numbers right now?
>>
does literally no one here hook grip? why are you all afraid of strength?
>>
>>35491918
Why you day this
>>
>>35492043
Because once you're decently strong, 90% is heavy as fuck, and you'd be hard pressed to DOH 80%.
>>
>>35489417
Just buy some grip trainers.
>>
>>35492085
you mean deadlifts?
>>
>>35492034
395 deadlift
310 squat
210 bench
135 OHP
Are my best test 1rm. I'm still a bit new to lifting (10 months), so they're not too great yet.
>>
>>35492240
Nah, sounds great. Alright, I'm gonna pack a bowl and get some laundry done. See ya' on Saturday at 1:00 (when we start warming up).
>>
>>35492240
Tested**
>>
>>35491498
Show me a video of a person doing mixed grip who doesn't have any torso torsion which could lead to imbalances

>ill wait
>>
>>35492418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmwxIQM7TEY

Please point out the "torso torsion" you fucking r/fitness memer
>>
>>35492437
You can't see his overhand shoulder push back further than his underhand side to lock out?
>>
>>35492461
The underhand one is already slightly more externally rotated. Which, as scapular retraction is not the point of a deadlift, doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>35492482
Its still torsion my friend
>>
>>35492461
And also no, I really don't see anything like that.
>>
>>35492498
Define your meaningless terms. Why is """torsion""" bad?
>>
>>35492482
Not that anon but unless you're training on a pro's level you will have imbalances which even this guy has and I'm sure he's trying hard as fuck not to have any and actually have the time and resources to do so.

Double Overhand>Mixed unless you really know what you're doing and train accordingly. But then again since you're not running from meet to meet trying to break records you can learn and train how to properly double overhand grip to be more time efficient.
>>
HOOK

GRIP
>>
>>35492532
Show me a single upper level powerlifter or even bodybuilder or crossfitter or fucking anyone who deadlifts primarily DOH.
>>
>>35492565
>using crossfit as an example of good form
Most bodybuilders I have seen at my gym use double over hand till about the 4pl8 spot then use straps
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.