[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Jenny_Running.jpg (4MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Jenny_Running.jpg
4MB, 4272x2848px
I want to into running, so I have two main questions. How fat is fat enough that I should probably start with just walking and other cardio in regards to not fucking up my joints? And what's with the minimal running shoes thing? I looked around in the /fit/ archive but now I'm confused whether they're a a meme, or them being a meme is a meme. Also general running thread I guess so I don't take an entire thread for myself.
>>
>How fat is fat enough that I should probably start with just walking
If you have to ask....
>And what's with the minimal running shoes thing?
Meme. Get proper shoes. You need proper shoes for running.
>>
>>35457185

If you're under 30% bodyfat, a Couch-to-5K is probably good for you. Seems like ~30% for a male is a pretty good run/walk line in the sand

Minimal shoes are for folks that are more comfortable with a forefoot-landing strike when running than with a heel-strike. Heel strikers need lots of cushioning and regular shoe changes to protect their joints, forefoot runners have a different set of needs. One style works better for some folks, the other of others. Forefoot running rid me of a lot of knee/foot pain and helped with calf development, but I'm not you and you're not the other dude who thinks it's a meme.
>>
>>35458190
I want to try the couch to 5k but I am too hung up to run outside or use a machine. Is running on the spot enough?
>>
>>35458474
Um, you're gonna have to explain what you mean by "running on the spot"
>>
>>35458474
You mean you're too busy to take the time to go run, but you have the time to run in place?

Dude, get your priorities straight.
>>
>>35457185
read the sticky.

what you want to know isn't what you need to know. the sticky contains what you need to know
>>
>>35457185
I'm 99 kg and I can run 5k without stopping. That being said take it easy. And by easy I mean don't go too hard too fast or you will get injured. Something hurts and it isn't soreness? Wait until you feel better. The fatter you are the more the chance you will be injured. Research proper form for running.

Jenny here in the OP is stupid. She over-strides like fuck and that will fuck her knees up
>>
>>35458190
This here is good advice
>>
File: coe-zurich.jpg (140KB, 840x1101px) Image search: [Google]
coe-zurich.jpg
140KB, 840x1101px
>>35457185
>start with walking
You should start by alternating running and walking regardless of "fat level". If you haven't run before, you need to gradually let your connective tissue and muscles adapt.

Use "Couch to 5k" for a good ratio/progression of walking to running.

>minimal shoes
Go get fit for appropriate running shoes at your local running store. Newbie runners are very inefficient. As you lose weight and improve economy, then you can get away with "less" shoe, since you no longer need some of it's features.
>>
Regarding forefoot/midfoot vs heelstrike

Heelstrike is harder on joints like knees
Forefoot is harder on achiles tendons and calfs

If you run with barefoot you will run with a forefoot naturally and for me at least it feels impactles and much more easy. If you try to run barefoot with shoes there will be pain. This is where the whole craze with forefoot vs heelstrike started. If you run heelstrike you will need a shoe with better heel cushion, if you run forefoot you will want a shoe with minimal height difference between heel and forefoot cushion.

For starters just run. Research proper form just like you would do with squats. Take it slow. Good luck
>>
>>35458730
*barefoot without shoes
>>
>>35458730
*barefoot with heelstrike

baka
>>
>>35457185
You should start losing weight before running, unless you want to fuck your joints.
>>
>>35458692
Nobody likes you piss off
>>
File: vsoDy0k.jpg (86KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
vsoDy0k.jpg
86KB, 500x628px
>>35458808
Fight me.
>>
>>35458868
Faggot
>>
>>35458190
30% seems a little high. im a girl and was probably 25-30% bf at my highest and felt it was way too much excess weight to run around on.
>>
>>35459057
grils have higher bodyfat. You are delusional.
>>
>>35459262
>You are delusional.
Not really.

If you've never run consistently, it takes a few weeks (to months) to acclimate to the activity. Higher bodyfat makes it harder, and requires more care to protect connective tissue.
>>
>>35459057
A semi-healthy average for men is 18-24% bodyfat and 25-31% for women. Everyone's different. I drew a line for men, and for women it would probably be more like 35-38% bodyfat being a generic cut-off.

Feeling heavy/getting tired/sore quickly and increasing a chance of an injury are rather different things.
>>
>>35459294
That gril claimed that her highest bodyfat was the normal range and she's obviously lower in bf% now, which means she's either lying or have dieted herself sterile. Her choice, I guess.
>>
>>35459294
post a pic
>>
>>35459817
Of what?
>>
>>35459817
>>35460009
ups ment to quote
>>35459057
>>
>>35460009
You can still post pic tho.

..... post ass.
>>
Okay, fuck this shit, here's what I did.
I started with small distances and ran until I couldn't anymore, but don't go from good run to walking, when you can't run that fast, just slow it down to a jog before you walk. And once you can do like 2 miles without stopping, move up to 2.5,3, etc... You just gotta work hard OP <3
>>
Proper running shoes is key, or you will be shining splits. Also, dr. Sholes athletic inserts are excellent food your running shoes.
>>
>>35457185
Strait up don't buy minimalist shoes if your fat
>>
Sine it seems like minimalist shoes would be a bad idea, I just gotta find a place and figure out the fucking differences between shoes. Are any of the types of chains that would be in a mall good enough to get a not shit pair? I don't know about any of this.
>>
>>35461720
you probably shouldnt go to a typical shoe store because even though a lot of those places sell sneakers / running shoes, the ppl who work there wont be able to help you out. i dont know of any huge running store chains, but there are a few Marathon Sports near me, as well as City Sports
>>
File: 1450469148925.gif (107KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450469148925.gif
107KB, 300x300px
>tfw ran my first 21k on Decemeber 31st
Feels good man
>>
File: goodrunningform.jpg (78KB, 600x629px) Image search: [Google]
goodrunningform.jpg
78KB, 600x629px
>>35458730
It should also be said that midfoot strike is really proper form.
OP, don't start barefoot. Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes, your joints and shins will thank you.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.