[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pullups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: unassisted-pullup.jpg (33KB, 425x442px) Image search: [Google]
unassisted-pullup.jpg
33KB, 425x442px
Pullup/Chinup Thread

>How many were you able before you started working out?
>How many can you do in a single set?
>Which type do you prefer?
>Do you like 'em?

Gonna do 100kg weighted Pullups tomorrow before the New Year starts. Wish me luck senpaitachi.
>>
My gym doesn't have monkey bars
Only these gimmicky shit on top of the cable machines and some wide grip things on the power rack

I've been at 3x3 for a while now, I'm like 8kg overweight though.
>>
Could never really do many (2 or 3).

Moved to home gym, started focusing on Pendlay rows(no way to do pullups) and losing weight.

Fast forward ~10 months, down 50lbs, go to a "bootcamp". Rattle off a set of 20.

>is this what making it feels like?
>>
>>35426304
0 before i started, right now my max (5 months later) is 8 chin up and 5 pull up. I love pull ups and chin ups, it feels great
>>
>>35426411
Grats anon

>>35426304
5x5 chins with +10kg added

Pullups hurt my elbow for some dumbfuck reason
>>
>>35426304
>100kg weighted Pullups
How?
>>
>>35426304
Before I started: 0 for both, maybe 1 chib

Now: 7 pull ups and like 14 chins, but chins have become like cardio so I gotta start doing weighted soon
>>
Is this idea of mine retarded?

>i'm a fatty that can do one pullup
>measure the rom of the pullup, stick shit underneath me until a "rep" is 20% of the total rom, hammer out a few sets of 10
>reduce the height by about 10% every couple of sessions, now at 3x10 for roughly 80% of full rom after four weeks

is this gonna stop working or will I get to full pullups doing this?
>>
>>35427110
That's dumb, just keep doing full pullups mate. Even if you can only do one at a time, just do them every couple minutes.
>>
>>35426304
You are going to add 5 20kg plates to a belt and do pullups? I don't believe you.
>>
>>35426966
not this hard mate, this guy in my gym crank sets of 15 with 45 kg and is skinny as fuck
>>
>>35427110
Stick it out and see. Doesn't sound that insane desu.
>>
>>35427545
It absolutely is hard. Btw, no one knows anything about "this skinny guy at your gym".

I know a "skinny guy" at my gym who can deadlift 800lb but if you look at his programming and stack, you can understand why he can do it.
>>
100 kg pull ups? Please record a video of you doing it.
>>
File: 1450545412686.jpg (76KB, 717x960px) Image search: [Google]
1450545412686.jpg
76KB, 717x960px
>>35427395
not a pull up, but here is guy doing dip with +90kg at belt.

I am not sure if it is heathy for elbows desu
>>
>>35426329
>3x3
Iktf
>>
>>35427718
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIsPZqqoONA
forgot link sheet
>>
>>35426304
I used to be able to do ten... Then I worked out a ton, got lots of muscle, I def look better and stronger in every way... Now I can only do 2 pull ups..

2, yup, just 2... I got so big that now I'm too heavy to lift my ass off the ground for ten reps
>>
File: 1450750457526.jpg (572KB, 1324x2995px) Image search: [Google]
1450750457526.jpg
572KB, 1324x2995px
>>35427745
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJUBQU1w1U

top kek
>>
>0
>I usually do 2 sets of 10 dead-hang pull ups at the end of my back workout. I figure I can do about 14 when fresh.
>pull ups
>hate it
>>
>>35426424
I started at 3-4. Now 10. Feels great. And I'm at 20-22% bf.
>>
>>35427734
>>35427718
those plates look more like 40-50kg, which is irrelevant because it is easier to dip a given weight than it is to pullup a given weight
>>
>>35427831
also, started doing like 5 dips and now I do 3x6 with 16kg added in a dip belt.
>>
>>35426966
because the retard you responded to adds his bodyweight to the total weight which gives you a completely meaningless number
>>
File: Kaga.jpg (48KB, 462x462px) Image search: [Google]
Kaga.jpg
48KB, 462x462px
Who /muscle-up/ here?
>>
in HS I could barely do one
now in a set I can do:
20 hammer grip pullups
22-25 chinups
10-12 pullups
chinups are my favorite
6'0. 170
>>
>>35426304
Did 2 weighted pullups (300lb total) on gymnastic rings yesterday. Pretty happy with that, especially since I don't do pullups all that often.
>>
>>35426304
10 unweighted
chinups feel better on my shoulders
not really
>>
>>35426304
>Zero pullups, a few chinups
>12 pullups, a few more chinups
>Pullups, they just feel better.
>Absolutely. I love the motion, lifting yourself up like that just feels great and it's actually useful in daily life.
>>
I love pullups, truly one of the few bodyweight exercises worth a fuck. When I started I couldn't do even one, now I can do 20 in one set with proper form. Looking forward to buying a belt and doing them weighted.
>>
>>35427734
A bad form dip with an extra 90kg is impressive but nothing like "pullupS with an extra 100kg".
>>
>>35426304
you can body build but have no core strength. I learned this the hard way. Ive been working out for a year and can barely do 3 full pull ups.
>buy pull up stand + helper
>do 6 sets 3x a week
>now can do 14 pull ups, 24 chin ups without helper
>feel stronger over all
>>
Last February I could do 2-3 at 190 pounds bw. Now I'm at 215 pounds and I can do 6-8 with an additional 45 pounds. Feels good mang.
>>
>>35427766
Do you realize he's using momentum to pull himself up? Look at one of his pullup vids where you can see his legs as well, he uses both momentum and doesn'g do full range (he doesn't do full range in this vid either).

Bodyweight exercises are very sensitive to any sort of weight gain, even lean mass, especially pullups/chinups.
>>
So I've had a question. When doing a pull up do you try to keep your body and head going straight up with your elbows going more out so it's really in the last (at least that's where I feel it.) or do you make more of a C motion, where your body goes more out of line. I know it's difficult to understand, I'm having a hard time putting it in words. I do both but the saying in a straight vertical line seems much harder than doing what feels natural.
>>
>>35426966
Bodyweight of 86kg + 15kg Added
>>
>>35428067
Lats*
Staying*
Thx mobile.
Also I'm not talking about kipping or using momentum.
>>
>>35428067
2bh I don't get it. Can you make a drawing or something?
>>
>>35428067
The "straight" is harder because you're using your arms less (worse line of pull).
>>
>>35428066
momentum or not you need massive core strength to pull 1/2 of your body over the bar.
>being this retarded
>>
>>35426304
0 before I started (though that was years ago and I was a kid), now I guess like 6-10? Haven't really done any in a few months.
>>
>>35428067
its ok to curve at the end of the set to get in extra reps
>>
>>35427684
See >>35428079
>>
>>35428114
I agree, you're quite retarded. He doesn't do pullups without momentum or from a deadhang (i.e. the hardest part). There's a reason for that and that's his weight, that's all.
>>
>>35427545
skinny as fuck is a pre-req to do pullups.

All skeletons in my gym try to compensate their shift lifts with pull/chin ups.
>>
I mostly do chinups to get some bicep work as I don't directly isolate them.
>>
>>35428194
Like what?

They gets into gym and starto doing pull ups and you feel opressed by their outstanding ribs?
>>
>>35428159
literally what are you even saying. Do you even lift?
>>
>Marine
Pullups are a must. 8 before I started working out seriously and can rock out about 20-22 now.

Problem is I haven't been able to do them over the past 2 weeks because as I'm coming down I feel a pop and some pain in my left shoulder. Been icing it and stretching regularly, gonna see how things go tomorrow.
>>
>How many were you able before you started working out?

>How many can you do in a single set?
8-10 body weight before my grip wears out. Weighted 15lbs for 4.

>Which type do you prefer?
Neutral grip>standard>wide grip>chins

>Do you like 'em?
Yes, very much so. Most impressive thing I can do in the gym.
>>
>>35428066
I these are called muscle ups and you need a bit of momentum to be able to get up over the bar.

Regardless, kipping pull ups are for pussies.
>>
how did you guys work towards your first chin/pullups? I do 5 sets 5-7 of chair assisted ones and try one normal pullup at the start of the day. I have progressed (barely moved at the start, now I move a little (quarter chin up or so). however, since I can barely measure progress, I am not sure if I am really progressing.

any ideas?
>>
>>35427110
Sounds pretty dumb since you activate slightly different muscles in the bottom vs the top.

You can do negatives though, that is how i got stronger at it.
>>
Started with 0
6 months later, 0.5...
Training my back will make pull-ups and chin-ups easier, right? 5'9", 201 currently
>>
>>35426304

I couldn't even do a single pull up. Could muster 2 or maybe 3 chins. My friend is a ripped bro who helped me and "spotted" me by lifting on my waist. Thinking back, that must have been some sight, but he's a real goodbro and gym bro. For 2 weeks he spotted me and helped me with 2 extras plus some of the negative parts.

Felt motivating and also demoralizing that he could bang out 10+ with ease.
One day I just said fuck this bull shit. It was a wednesday and just said to my self that I was gonna do 50 pull ups and 50 neutral grip pull ups and I wasn't gonna leave until it was done. Even i it meant doing 1 for a set. Took me almost 2 hours but I finished. My back was sore for almost 2 weeks. I repeated the same workout the next wednesday and the rest is history.

I like pull ups, but I like chins more. I can feel my back working a lot more with supinated grip.
Can do 22 kg x 6 now. Feels gud.

Never maxed out from fresh doing pull ups but I can bang out at least 10.
I can do around 15 chins from fresh Maybe more.
My max in muscle ups with false grip is 7-8. None of that crosshit kipping thing.

>tfw the memories of my friend spotting a DYEL with pull ups haunts me to this day
>>
65kg 145 (?) pounds here/

I can go 3 sets for 10 reps, 7-8 reps, 5-6 reps each set... All dead hang pullups, but my neck doesn't pass the bar.

This exercise is fucking tough.
>>
Used to do a bunch of negative pullups.

It's been a while but I just did 3x3 now and I think that's a good place to start.

Anything more and I'll probably end up putting too much strain on my wrist, elbow or shoulder as I have in the past.
>>
Whats the correct form for pull ups? I've been doing elbows out and shoulder blades back and down
>>
Started lifting again on the 4th. Back up to 50lbs on the chain for chinups. I can't do pullups cause it messes with my shoulders. I used to do 95lbs 5x5 before I had to stop lifting.
>>
>>35426304
I can do 15 deadhang in a set. yeah ik im pretty cool
>>
>>35428964
No momentum needed for a youtuber who has a video you can search by 'slow muscle up no false grip'

Fucking magical.

I couldn't do any, now I can do 6 or 7 in a set. Feels great. Chin ups are just behind.
>>
>>35432166
By the way, I do them with a 2020 tempo...none of this crossfit cheating momentum crap.
>>
Do pullups/chins hit your abs at all?
>>
>>35432303
yes
>>
>>35432316
better question: how?
>>
5 pullups when I started

34 in one set now

I like chins better tho, even though I rarely do them
>>
>>35428694
here senpai watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 205x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 205x300px
>>35432348
Keep your legs slightly forward during the move.
>>
>>35426424

How long did it take to do your 1st?
>>
I broke the 7th grade and 8th grade records of 20 and 25 respectively (best friend's older military brother held them) with 21 and 27 respectively, pull ups instead of chin ups. Started working out hard in high school, so senior year I could do 30 no problem. Now I'm doing 3x10 with 50kg added at a bodyweight of 70kg (I am a manlet). I do love em desu, I love em more than I do any other exercise or lift.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.