[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask Your Fitness Questions 3rd Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 1

File: PersonalTraining4chan.jpg (10KB, 281x180px) Image search: [Google]
PersonalTraining4chan.jpg
10KB, 281x180px
See a lot of questions going around so I'm here to lighten the load for the next hour or so. Ask a personal trainer fitness related questions.
>>
Is there a decent fucking app just to log my lifts?

I've been using an excel spreadsheet but that has been a hassle.

I need something easy and quick to log my lifts on my phone, that I can also easily look back to
>>
>>35417571
Do you recommend the hamstring curl machine?
>>
>>35417606
Fitnotes
>>
>>35417571
I've been doing the couch25k app and Im finishing week 2 but I feel pain on my knees when running and a bit when resting if i flex them.
I've never had any problems with my knees before but I dont want to end in snap city.

Should I stop running? I really like this app because I feel a lot more motivated to cardio every day, but I dont want to hurt myself.
>>
>>35417606
The only apps I've ever used is Jefit and mynetdiary.

>>35417623
God yes, I love that machine. By isolating your hams and glutes you can strengthen your legs, correct imbalances, (including postural), and aid your squat/deadlift numbers.
>>
>>35417682
If you aren't used to running and the muscles around your knees are weak then that's probably your main culprit. You may need to rest more, add less resistance cardio, (biking, swimming), or strengthen your knees by doing dumbbell step ups. A lot of exercises can strengthen the muscles around the knees, including squats, but I've found the step ups to be one of the most effective. A good friend who is a marathon runner started doing squats with me recently and he has been calling me saying his running feels "so much easier".

Just because you run a lot doesn't mean your legs are strong at all.
>>
>>35417571
What's your take on using a belt to squat with? I've heard it's a good thing and I've heard if you need one it just means your stabilizers aren't strong enough. I used one for the first time yesterday and loved it... but I'm not sure if I'm setting my self up for disaster
>>
>>35417683
Wouldn't be better to just do GHR? Also are GHRs better for knee joints?
>>
Why are squats, ohp, bench and diddlylift always 3x5?

Why can't I do 3x8 on them?

I dont want strength I want big muscles
>>
Deadlifts fuck my shit up.
Are cleans a good replacement? I would think they would be better than deadlifts. And my traps are kinda lacking
>>
>>35417808

Proper GHRs are a bastard of an exercise. You need to be pretty strong before they're light enough to treat as an assistance exercise.
>>
>>35417749
I understand, thank you for the tips.
>>
where do you work, OP?

i'm a PT too. great gig, surprised more people on /fit/ don't do it.
>>
>>35417828
I'm deadlifting 130 for reps and do GHR with a 15 kg plate in my hands. I'm just wondering if they are safer for knee joints
>>
>>35417571
Why did you become a PT?

Also can you tell me why I just had a minor back spasm after doing a set of 30 pushups?

Why is casein the superior muscle building protein?
>>
>>35417804
If you are lifting purely for numbers, then use a belt/straps etc. If you aren't, I'd say go raw. It's true that the belt does help stabilize your core.

>>35417808
I personally haven't experimented with them yet as my gym does not have that piece of equipment, however they look awesome at a glance.

>>35417813 Yes, you can change the rep/set ranges to hypertrophy and should if that's your goal. However realize as a natural lifter a lot of your strength and size will be correlated.

>>35417816 I love cleans for traps and upright rows. I also like farmer's walks.

>>35417853
I'm currently a trainer at a 24 Hour.

>>35417869
I became a PT because I love the way fitness changed my life and turned me away from drugs and alcohol and I want to help people feel better. You probably had a back spasm because your spine may have not been neutral or it felt too much pressure from staying neutral. I love foam rolling for this type of stuff. Casein has a longer break down, which is why some people prefer it and others take it before bed. They believe it breaks down slowly while they sleep and aids recovery better.
>>
>>35417860
I just googled GHR knee pain and a lot of results popped up so the answer to your question may very well be a "no, they are not necessarily safer for your knee joints".
>>
what is the point of fat loss supplements (eg. green tea extract, not roids). if you've worked out your diet and a specific deficit is the best way to do it for aesthetics, won't taking these supplements just cause you to burn more calories or do they do something else.

are they only for fat people who have a hard time with a deficit?

p.s i'm full retard
>>
Okay, so, 18yo, senior year. First year doing wrestling.

Basically, I started wrestling because I was a weakling. 5' 8", 170lbs. Since starting I've gotten to 156lbs but I don't think I've gotten any stronger. I've been taken protein shake every day (muscle milk powder, 40g per serving). Ive recently added pre workout (C4 explosive energy) in to get the most I can. Basically, am I doing it right?
>>
>>35417571
What are your lifts?
>>
>>35417571
How do I become a PT? Do I really need one of those expensive ass bogus certifications? Is it a pretty active job, I imagine you'd be spending a lot of time walking around and demonstrating exercises, right? I don't want a job that's mostly sitting down.
>>
Do I need to do direct isolations for my lateral deltoid?

Or will it grow fine from military pressing/rowing/ dips?
>>
Is SS really the best routine for skinnyfat beginners, Like 'never been to a gym or lifted a weight in my life' beginners?

I currently got my finger on the checkout button for the 3rd ed of Starting Strength book..
>>
>>35417749
I have the exact same issue, thanks for answer.
>>
>>35420195
not the pt but yes. Just dont bulk on it or you will get fat. It is a strength routine so the size gains arent priority. Adding weight to the bar is, which you can do just fine eating at maintenence, or even on a "cut". I'd suggest since you're skinnyfat finding your maint without exercise, eat at that, and let the exercise of SS and potentially cardio create your deficit. Try no more than 500 cal deficit. Once you get to the weight you want, eat without a deficit and if you're still making gains on SS without stalling, continue. If not. Find a new routine for your goals, and eat at a small surplus +200 cals.

Also dont buy starting strength, you can pirate it just fine.
>>
>>35417683
Isolations do not help compounds, you are speaking out of your ass

Entire thread discredited
>>
>>35418063
>not training people stoned af in your own gym
lmao
>>
What are some good workout routines for someone who owns an ordinary backyard pool?
>>
>>35420501
>Isolations do not help compounds.

Please elaborate.
>>
>>35417623
Never. Most don't stretch their hams/backs enough and this will cause back/knee problems
>>
>>35417682
Stretch your hamstrings.
If it hurt in the front, stretch hams.
Back, stretch quads.
People run and then sit all day and their hams just tighten which also tightens their back and they get fucked
>>
I've been dealing with lower back and hip pain from lifting and have decided to cut out squats and deadlifts entirely for the foreseeable future.

What anabolic lower body exercises do you recommend instead? Farmer's walks, pushing the prowler, and doing barbell hip thrusts seems to be OK. Any other ideas?

If you had to quantify it, what % of my natty potential am I giving up by forsaking the squat and dead?
>>
On a cut (600kcal/day from BMR 2450), been steadily dropping weight the past few months while doing ICF 5x5. With the holiday period I've been eating like shit, making sure to get the right amount of protein and fats, but really overdoing it with the carbs.

What am I accomplishing for the time being? Will I be gaining lean mass? Am I doing a mini bulk?
>>
>>35417804
Only go belted if/when you have back issues regardless of goals.
>>35417813
Big muscles= strong muscles
If your lifts aren't at least intermediate (strengthstandards co) 7+ reps will just fluff you up and then you'll lose it.
5 reps hits your central nervous system enough to stimulate testosterone production and protein synthesis essentially the same effect steroids have except without the sides.
Until you are actually reasonably strong 4-6 reps is by far the most effective rep range you can train in for your core/compound/big lifts (squats, deads, presses, cleans, rows).
Save yourself the heart ache and stick with 5 reps and a good program until you've kind of made it
>>
>>35417816
Get the form learned for deads or else cleans will fuck you up even more.
Get a belt after properly learning the movements if you still have issues.
>>35420170
Anything that works the rear delt works the lateral.
Flyes leaning forward, face pulls and upright rows all are fantastic at developing juicy and aesthetic delts (most aesthetic hounds focus on rear delt to get that shape knowing front delts are worked with all the presses)
>>
>>35420195
SS is absolutely fantastic. If you are fat, I'd cut down as much as possible and then start SS following it to a tee and bulk to the moon an focus on aesthetics when your lifts hit intermediate/advanced
>>35420501
Mostly agreed. The only way isolations can help is if your lifts are advanced/elite
>>
>>35420649
Stretch by touching your toes and off to the sides and stretch your glutes and that should take care if your knee/back problems.
There are no replacements for deads and squats and cleans.
None.
Stretch multiple times a day and get a belt if you have to. Do not just stop doing the lifts that fuel your whole physique
>>
Basically I wanna try and improve my butt.
Obviously I'm doing squats but i only ever feel them in my quads and seem to just be improving them. I'm fairly certain this is because my squatting wrong but i don't know how/why?
Also are there any other exercises that can work your glutes well
>inb4 why do you wanna make your butt bigger are you a faggot?
Yes.
>>
>>35420649
And to quantify, I'd say something like 70% of your total natty potential.
Squats and deads don't just train your legs.
They train your central nervous system.
They cause your body so much stress that your body has to release testosterone to repair itself.
You aren't just giving up quads, glutes, hams, erectors, traps and abs(the inner layer), you're giving up a majority of the total of the rest of your gains as well.
>>
>>35420792
My mobility is good actually, and I use a belt, but the back pain persists and as it presents as sciatica it likely has to do with my discs and nerves.

As such this isn't negotiable. I know that if I continue squatting and deadlifting before I recover 100%, I'll be fucking over my health and strength in the long term. As much as it saddens to me to have to quit them for now, I know it will save me from worse pain and disability in my old age.

So put yourself in my shoes, and tell me what other exercises you would do.
>>
>>35420834
I'm aware of that, and like I mentioned it saddens me to have to say goodbye to them for now.

>>quads
Prowler pushes?
>>glutes
Barbell hip thrusts?
>>hams
Back extensions?
>>erectors
Farmer's walks?
>>traps
Farmer's walks?
>>abs
Planche, front lever, ab wheel?
>>
>>35420653
If you eat too much saturated fat and sugar, your body will likely be releasing more insulin than you'd like which will actually drive your testosterone down and could potentially cause you to lose gains even though you are gaining weight.
Sorry, brah.
>>35420824
Squat with feet shoulder width apart and focus on squeezing the glutes.
Weighted hip thrusts, though, are the only lift that activate your glutes more than 35% so I would hit those pretty hard
>>
>>35420872
Does it matter which direction feet are facing? Can they be pointed at say "11" and "1" clock position?
>>
>>35420842
If no doctor could help me at all (neuro, chiro, ortho, etc) I would do leg press to the moon.
It's the closest to the real thing. The sad part, though is that if you can squat 2.5 plates, you oughta be able to max out most pulley machines.
Hope you have a 45° plate loaded and a hack squat machine.
Do front squats if possible.
Are you sure your back just isn't outta place? Or something?
>>
>>35420901
Usually a broader toe position but experiment with light weight focusing on that squeeze. And you better keep your knees apart.
>>35420869
Yes. Next best things. Have you tried light weight? 12+ reps can still be hella beneficial
>>
>>35420925
I slipped a disc a number of years and have since recovered (multiple deadlift, squat, and press PRs). More recently I have been dealing with hip issues that also affect my psoas and thus pull on my lumbar vertebrae and irritate my old disc injury.

With more mobility work, NSAIDs, and rest, it will eventually get better. However, it's a fucked up issue that I want to avoid making worse especially since my main goal in lifting is to preserve strength going into old age. While squats and deadlifts will help me avoid atrophy, they also expose me to risk regarding my lower back. I don't think it's worth it.
>>
>>35420972
I'll try lighter weights, but disc injuries aren't just caused by heavy weights but also by cyclic repetitions.
>>
>>35420872
So how much of an issue would you say it would be? A few weeks of training and clean eating to make up for it ?
>>
>>35421016
Yeah, heavy or repeated.
Wear a belt every single time no matter what. Your disc won't enflame if your back doesn't move when you do your movements.
I had an issue with an enflamed nerve awhile back and struggled to lift and deal with it but it kept happening so I threw on a belt and haven't lifted without it since.
It solved my problem. I can't see how it wouldn't help yours
>>
>>35421033
Start doing cardio now and keep eating, you'll be fine once you're back and at em
>>
>>35417571

Been lifting gallon milk jug full of water while sitting at the desk, read somewhere they're around 8lbs.

Been doing it for a while now, 50 lifts each arm, several times a day.

I'd like to increase the ability to lift more weight and increase endurance. So what else should I be doing?
>>
>>35421016
If all else fails, start test cycles when you hit 50 and blast and cruise until you get assassinated by a tumblrina fat activist for being so juicy
>>
>>35421074
SS + cardio obviously
>>
>>35421086

SS?
>>
If you were to run a 3 month cycle how much gians do you keep?
>>
>>35421149
Bahahahahahahahahahahahah.
Nigga, you kill me.
Pretending you didn't read the sticky.
You madman! No ones done that in years!
Kek >>I didnt read the sticky
Lololololololol
>>
>>35421184
Are you literally retarded?
>>If a bridge is green, what is it's max capacity?
In the end, it's up to your cycle, training methods and dedication, not some prick who got his ACE certification and thinks he knows things
>>
>>35421201

Oh yeah, i get what you mean, I was just wondering cause basic bulk cycles are usually just test/deca and the stacks just end up getting bigger and bigger
>>
>>35421219
Honestly, if you aren't in it for the money and already impressive, steroids really won't do you any good long term.
>>
Doing curls with an Ez-bar and I can't do them with my shoulders pulled back, should I drop weight (substantially) or use a regular barbell for the same weight?
>>
>>35421201
Defensive much? - Stephen Lang
>>
>>35417571

I just opened a thread about this but I'll ask you too

I need some advice anons about diet and exorsize. Lost 45 pounds in the last 4 months. Cadio and lift every day. Eat fruits vegetables nuts meats fish, no breads or rice and little carbs. Currently I have 22% body fat and I want to bring it to around 10% in the next two months losing about 18 pounds. I want to know if it's a practical thing to do without losing any mustle mass. Today I read that cutting calories below 1200 ( about the amount I eat ) you will lose 30% mustle mass and 70% fat. What kind of diet and exorcise should I do to minimize the amount of mustle mass I lose while maintaing the maximum amount of body fat I lose.
>>
>>35421339
Keto+Crossfit
>>
>>35421346
Ai I meme , bro. Sick reference
>>
>>35421339
We dont specialize in exorcism here on this board, try /x/
>>
>>35420501
>I have done 6 weeks of SS

>>35420760
>I have read the wiki about SS
>>
can dumbbell presses be a replacement for bench press?
>>
I'm stuck at about 1pl8 flat bench. No spotter so I have to grab the bar myself - which makes it really difficult to try and keep shoulder blades pressed close together - is this reducing the effectiveness of the exercise and stalling my progress?
>>
>>35422181
I should say about 6-7 reps at 1pl8.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.