[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

self discipline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (433KB, 2459x1598px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
433KB, 2459x1598px
i have the self discipline of a heroin addict that lives next to a heroin dealer

anyone here who's struggled with self discipline and overcame it that can give advice?

>inb4 'man up' or 'just do it'
if i had developed that mindset by now i wouldnt have the struggles i do.
>>
>>35367001
for reference, i struggle with the fact i live at home with parents (18 y.o) and while at one point they supported me very much and my entire family had gotten fit as fuck including me, we've all since fell off the wagon and im the only one trying to get back on track. i dont have alot of healthy food choices and when i do the pizza and pasta in the fridge is just too damn appealing.
>>
Take it a day at a time. I'm a recovering fat fuck who lost over 100 pound so far. It was way easier for me to stick to my diet if I looked at it like this, "I don't need to eat clean every day for the rest of my life, I just gotta eat clean today."

When you move it a bucketful at a time, one day you'll look up and see you've moved a mountain.
>>
google "30 days of discipline"
>>
>>35367001
Anyone notice how the dudes left pec is so different to his right?
>>
File: 1450913561706.jpg (21KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
1450913561706.jpg
21KB, 270x360px
I could recommend you Stoic literature like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius but from what you've said I'm doubtful it would resonate with you.

Basically I think you need to get beaten up, and I know just the man to do it.
>>
>>35367017
photoshop
>>
>>35367018
ive been beaten up multiple times. i was jumped my sophomore year in highschool when i was attending an inner city nig school and i lost 75 lbs and put on a ton of muscle that year and was never fucked with again. ive since put on even more muscle but also put the fat back on.
>>
>>35367018
Fedora as shit. Moreover, stoa is a retarded philosophy.
>>
File: 1450576692153.jpg (14KB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
1450576692153.jpg
14KB, 300x264px
>>35367026
>>
>>35367028
:^)
>>
There's this idea, though I don't particularly believe it, that every person only has a limited amount of "Self control" per day.

Like, willpower is kinda like energy or time, you only have so much to burn every day before you need to get rest to recover it, the idea being that some people fall off the wagon because they're dealing with a lot of shit that requires their willpower that when it comes time for other matters (Go to the gym, eat healthy, whatever) they have none left so they pick the easy option.

So try doing stuff like going to the gym straight away in the morning instead of later in the day, and try cutting out other shit that requires your willpower.

You're 18, lemme fill you in on a secret, your schoolwork doesn't mean shit, nobody cares, so don't do homework and do the bare minimum study required to pass. C's get degrees desu.
>>
meditate daily
>>
>>35367114
no schoolwork. if what you just said is true its probably because ive been trying to cut cigs and im shakin' in my boots waiting for a call back from my marine recruiter to know if my criminal record is gonna disqualify me
>>
Treat your brain as a seperate entity and set up a reward/punishment system
If your brain does good, give it something, if it does bad, punish it

You need to realize that your thoughts and cravings are from your brain, not from yourself
>>
>>35367229
ill try this thanks
>>
>>35367229
How would you go about punishing your brain if you do something bad?
>>
File: tumblr_lwkl4yJtKy1r7k1afo1_500.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwkl4yJtKy1r7k1afo1_500.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
>>35367229
>>
>>35367001
I dont think there are any successful people in the gym who are successful because they force themselves to lift, but because they enjoy it and like to see progression. If you dont, you wont make it.
>>
File: drownndkid.jpg (70KB, 597x320px) Image search: [Google]
drownndkid.jpg
70KB, 597x320px
>>35367001
>heroin addict that lives next to a heroin dealer

This made me kek then cry because my ex is a heroin addict and she used to live right next to her dealer who was twice her age. She didnt usually pay with money.

*cries*
>>
>>35367026
Sorry Jonathan Swift, what's wrong with stoicism
>>
>>35367481
Was that while you were dating?
>>
>>35367001
Din't try to do everything at once. One step after another. There is a great app for smartphones called fabulous, you should check it out. Helps me a lot. As long as there is no "breaking point" in your life like surviving a heavy car crash or so that makes you change everything you will not be able to change multiple things at once.

What you can do is to start small. Start with at least one healthy meal a day. Or by drinking at least 2 l of water each day. And keep track of your progress. After 1-2 weeks of success you add another daily routine. And then another and so on.
>>
>>35367624
It's terribly outdated and relies on fatalism and nihilism and dictates you can't show any emotion, which is virtually impossible and therefore inaccessable to most people. Moreover, why would it be good for self-discipline to deny your emotions?
>>
>>35367001
Join the military. Worked for me.
>>
>>35367481
actually being with a herion addict kekkk
>>
>>35367001
>>inb4 'man up' or 'just do it'

sorry to say but this is the only way. good habits just don't develop by themselves. you have to force them at first. do how this guy said >>35367714 take small steps. small progress is still progress.
>>
>>35367722
It's not about denying your emotion it's about knowing what brings them and how you react to them.
>>
>>35367114
I Always thought this was a pretty accepted idea? I know it's true for myself since when I have a lot of shitty life stuff I am much less dedicated on fitness. I mean, if you fight to get out of bed, then fight to get the drive to leave the house, then even fight just to go to work/class because your brain is a dick, at some point you just don't have anything left to give.

Not OP by the way.
>>
>>35367725
in the enlistment process for the marines
>>
>>35367722
looks like somebody failed Intro to Philosophy

>>35367114
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion
>>
>i have the self discipline of a heroin addict that lives next to a heroin dealer

I have the same in regards of studying. Graduated high school with like the equivalent of american 1.0 gpa. Applied 3 times for university and here I am. I can't do basic algebra
>>
>>35367001

Remember how bad you want it.

Remove temptation from your life as best as you can.

There is no secret. It really does just take discipline. It's fucking hard when you're addicted to food (which I was, fast food twice a day, I know the feels). But you just have to force yourself to not do it. It gets easier with time.
>>
>>35367001
Realize your "change" it's not gonna last just a brief period of time but the rest of your life.

Start slow, get used to it and increase the pace when you feel you can do it.
And push yourself while you're at it, don't just stop progressing because you lost motivation at some point.

If you don't have the will to start you probably need to suffer a lot more.
>>
>>35367001
bro I was struggling with this around 18-19. every day would be a battle to go the gym and I'd usually just not go and smoke a blunt instead.

i'm 25 now.

I could have been a fucking monster in my early 20s instead of sitting around jacking off and eating haagen dasz.

you got one life to live nigga, fucking just do it
>>
>>35367001
> italian food makes you fat meme
Just eat less
>>
>>35367481
Really?
>>
nofap
>>
>>35367001
You just kinda decide to be more self disciplined. Cravings never go away. But it is a conscious decision that you make. Even if it is so automatic.
>>
>>35368338
Rah
>>
>>35367722
You're confusing the english word "stoic" with the philosophical school Stoicism. The english word is a misnomer.
>>
How do I become a morning person? Until a year ago I would naturally wake up at 5:30-6am and could get all my shit done in the morning. After too much time spent around lard-asses I now cannot go to sleep before 1-2AM and always miss out on the most productive bit of the day.

Trying to wake up early now is an exercise in frustration, makes my whole day shit and basically guarantees that I will sleep through the alarm the following night.

Going early to sleep is the same shit, I can sit in bed for hours if I'm not tired I won't be able to sleep, and before 1-2AM I don't get tired.

What do?
>>
>>35367001
Ive struggled with this for years, and then I found the solution

It came when my laptop broke, and I was living in a small apartment with no TV or smartphone or anything like that. I realised my entire fucking life revolved around my laptop and wasting my hours, and I was in this vicious cycle of constantly beating myself up about it, but not being able to pull myself away from it

The 10 days or so when my laptop was broken were some of the most productive of my life. I read about 5 books (and im not a reader AT ALL), both fiction and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for dummies, started meditating, started journalling, started doing all sorts of fucking good shit with my life

Trust me, instant access to the internet is the fucking worst thing in your life right now - it allows you to give into your slightest whim CONSTANTLY, to pause whatever it is you're doing and google that thing, or read that thing, or check that account, or look at that thing, or make that quick post. It destroys your habits and it's fucking hard to break out of

When I did my journalling I used a small pocket size journal with a pen and just made small notes in it about what I was doing and what I wanted to d, it was a good insight into why I dont do certain things. i.e. I realized I often tell myself that I cant do X before I do Y, and then I cant do Y because I should do Z first, and eventually there'll reach a point where I cant actually do one of the things because of something outside of my control, and then I do nothing. This helped me to realize not to invent magical barriers in my head for creating the "perfect starting situation" for doing things

But honestly, put your laptop away. I understand im a hypocrite because im posting here, but I guess it's a relapse. Dont download Extensions to block sites, you'll always cave and get around them, literally put your laptop inaccessible - like a friends or parents place, and use a local library computer if desperate
>>
>>35367714
I like this.
>>
>>35370721
I like this.
>>
>>35370721
Really helpful.
>>
>>35370721
It's solid advice, but you have to admit that a laptop/internet access is a fucking handy thing to have and you shouldn't just cut off your access to it completely.

I might start a timer thing. I can't use my laptop until, say 5pm. After 5, I can do whatever I want, but untill then - no internet/laptop/vidya.
Do you think this will work boys and grills?
>>
>>35371359
Give it a try. Sounds too good to be true, simply, because it will be really hard to stick to it. But not impossible. Contemplating the same thing actually. Dont want to fail UNI.
>>
>>35367714
Can you link it ? Is it available on iphone ?
>>
>>35370721
110% this.
>>
>>35370721
To add to this, I've always struggled with keeping weight off, and most attempts to cut those extra 20-30 pounds have virtually all failed. Except one. It was during a period when I had tons of free time and no vidya, no TV show, little access to Internet, basically no time sink to distract me. I lost 35 fucking pounds in 3 months. All the ulterior attempts were while trying to balance Computer activities and keeping fit, and they all failed miserably. There definitely is something to this advice.
>>
>>35367001
Who's this guy? Link
>>
>>35369997
Yep.
>>
>>35367661
We werent really dating she just had sex with me a lot to make herself feel better after having sex with disgusting old men. She was a solid 9/10. Probably less now from the drugs

Problem is though i loved her
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.