[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else here fall for the squats and deadlifts meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 7

File: back.jpg (31KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
31KB, 235x235px
Anyone else here fall for the squats and deadlifts meme?
>>
>it's a meme because my form is shit and i got hurt
>>
>it's a meme because I can't see the muscles I'm working when I when flex in the mirror/showing off to grills
>>
>>35232074
>implying even the most perfect form in the world matters when you have 300+ lbs compressing your spine
>>
>>35232109
>all of the weight is on your spine and not evenly distributed between your skelomusculature
>>
>>35232109
That's when it matters most. Get some supportive gear and a coach.
>>
you are rounding your lower back while squatting. and you can fix this. don't give up anon
>>
>>35232109
>Lmao3plate is the be all and end all of compressive forces on your spine, therefore it's impossible to lift heavy weights
Look up klokov, you dipshit
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 491x404px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 491x404px
>6'1.5
>too tall to squat
dodged a bullet there, thanks Danish ancestry
>>
>>35232058
There is literally no point at all in doing squats and deadlifts. There are plenty of much safer isolation exercises that can be used to target the same muscle groups.

Squats and deadlifts are for dick measuring dumbshits who lack the foresight to keep themselves from suffering an inevitable injury.
>>
File: 1411516507902.jpg (86KB, 680x989px) Image search: [Google]
1411516507902.jpg
86KB, 680x989px
>>35232200
>doing 2-3 isolations for muscles that can be worked in one compound
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 390x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 390x250px
>>35232200
Why are you here?
>>
>>35232182
>6'1.5
>too tall to squat
lol
>>
>>35232058
what is that?
>>
>>35232182
>too tall to squat
This gave me a kek. Is this bait or do care to explain further?
>>
File: faggot!.jpg (21KB, 367x451px) Image search: [Google]
faggot!.jpg
21KB, 367x451px
>>35232200
>>
File: 1441144135005.gif (4MB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
1441144135005.gif
4MB, 350x236px
>>35232058
OP, I have a fucking pro-tip for you here and now that for some reason no one on this board ever fucking considers and talks about, thought it should be in the fucking sticky considering the audience.

Let me get it straight out and say it that squats and deadlifts are NOT NOT NOT NOT a meme. However, what is a meme is how quickly you are lead to believe that you are ready for it.

People come to fit, they are told to read the sticky when they ask questions, they start SL or SS and they get hurt and they say HURR DURR WTF MEME WHY DID I GET HURT? SNAP CITY IF YOU DO THIS EXERCISE.

Well here is your answer: you need to stretch, and when it comes to the deadlift and the squat, you need to stretch your hamstrings. You need to stretch them a ton and a fuckload. You should stretch them several times a day every single fucking day for 30 seconds at a time. The sticky fails to take into consideration that the people that come here and want to get in shape are 350lb NEETs with bad posture who sit at a fucking computer 12 hours a day. It doesn't consider that you may not be ready to handle the weight on your back without seriously fucking your shit up. Prehab is not considered or talked about. It is "SHUT UP AND LIFT FAGGOT" which is a perfect way to get yourself hurt.

TL;DR: if you sit all day and you start to lift 3 days a week for an hour you're probably gonna get hurt because no system addresses the chair epidemic. Lift, yes, but stretch just as much.
>>
>>35232252
>using the pussy pad

top kek
>>
Have a recurring injury near lower lat/lower back usually every few months when I do heavy singles on front squats
>>
>>35232087
>lmao really? I can see the bulge of my long head biceps and triceps popping out on the sides lmao
>>
>>35232619
>quad negative
So it is a meme?
>>
>>35232659

>Pussy pad

Is this a meme or do you people actually look down upon people who use a foam pad to prevent the bar pressing on their upper back while lifting heavy weights?
>>
>>35232810
>not putting bar on juicy traps
>>
>>35232827

Does the pad make you lift less?
>>
>>35232182
>too tall to squat
What are proportions...
Never gonna make it
>>
>>35232810
absolutely. It fucks up your form and the weight doesn't hurt
>>
>>35232839
No it does t and there's nothing wrong with using one...that being said I still call it a pussy pad and the reason I have traps now was specifically for squatting kek
>>
>>35232058
It's not a meme you asshat, you just reached your first plateau and tried to kill yourself instead of training your way around it.
>>
>>35232200
Agreed. Doing squats and deadlifts is retarded because they are BY FAR the riskiest exercises you can do at the gym and the vast majority of people who injure themselves do it by fucking their lower back with freeweights. There is no point doing it when machines isolate the muscles better and give you a more effective workout with a fraction of the risk of injuring yourself.
>>
>>35232868
With heavier weights the pussy-pad can actually cause the bar to move or be uneven.
There's a reason why no records are set with a pussy pad and most if not all records are done with chalk on your traps.
>>
>>35233079
Lifting including squats and deadlifts have by far the least risk of damage when compared to other activities in the gym and other sports such as running.
>>
>>35233079
>fuck your shit up when running
>a bruised ankle, a bloody knee
>fuck your shit up when deadlifting
>herniated disc
>>
>>35233109
Injuries caused by squats and deadlifts are generally far more severe than anything caused by running. Running doesn't cause herniated discs which can basically leave you bedridden for months at a time.
>>
>>35232109
>trying to lift 300lbs before your muscles can handle them and thus letting the spine do all the work
>>
>>35233282
>fuck your shit up while driving a motorcycle
>broken bones, bruised skin
>fuck your shit up while travelling in an airplane
>disintegrated

Now, what's the probability of both of those to occur? Yeah.
>>
All arguments aside, what is the safest exercise? Open discussion here. I'd say swimming but you could still drown I guess. Stationary biking? Walking? What's the most retard-proof method of efficient exercise?
>>
>>35232182
I'm also that exact height and yeah, my femurs are too long to squat.
>>
>>35232619
This is actually a really insightful post, pay attention to this.
>>
>>35233719
Statistically you have a higher chance of injuring yourself with squats and deadlifts than running. Yes the gross number of injuries caused by running is higher than lifting, but a shitload more people do cardio than lift. Per capita lifting is riskier than running, especially squats and deadlifts which are responsible for the majority of injuries caused by lifting
>>
>>35233739
>>35232182
Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Mr. Excuses.
>>
>>35233294
But the benefits of have a strong, proper deadlift are far superior to that of running consistently.
I constantly look at motherfuckers in the gym, with their goofy-ass track outfits on treadmills, with their chicken legs and lanky torsos, and think "yeah, that's woman wants."

The truth is, everyone can admire a strong squat and deadlift, and it only makes you a better lifter.
>>
>>35233759
I do plenty of other shit in the gym. Squatting is not one of those things. Sorry that you can't understand these tall people problems.
>>
>>35233754
>muh opinions
>muh excuses
>muh lack of evidence
>muh injuried due to shitty form and being a retard, but I'll blame it on the exercises instead

Fuck off this board, idiot.
>>
>>35233731
swimming, unless it starts hurting you shoulders, so paid that with scapula work, like pull ups and rear-delt exercises -- or, stationary biking, if you're full retard.
>>
>>35232109
I squat 310 for 3x5 without back pain. Maybe you just weren't born to be good at anything.
>>
>>35233768
You don't squat because you don't want to, not because you are "too tall", lol. Be honest with yourself, idiot.
>>
>>35233731
Walking up an incline street. Unless you consider getting run over by a car or mauled by a dog an "exercise injury".
>>
>>35233754
It's really just comes down to not being retarded. He'll even some of them can pull it off. What's your fucking excuse?
>>
lets be real,you only need squats and deadlifts your first year of lifting
>>
If you don't want to squat and deadlift, then don't. But don't say that they suck just becouse you lack the patience to learn the right form and eat enough to actually make a progress (its harder than just chasing the pump, becouse that you can do without progressing at all.)

If after that you hate those exercises and don't want to do them its fine, because you DONT have to do them. And if you disagree you're just a fucking t-rex who can't accept that people are different.

TL;DR: Squats and deadlifts are awesome
>>
>>35233834
Yeah this honestly, squats and deadlifts are very good exercises for strength and mass in pretty much all the body except some mirror-muscles, but if you don't want to do them, just don't do them, you should enjoy your workouts, not suffer them.
>>
>>35233774
>squat 3 plates
>look mommy, im finally good at something!
>>
>>35233778
Trust me friend, I would love to squat. My proportions are such that the mechanics are impossible to do in a healthy way, I assure you.
>>
>>35233916
I don't believe you. There's always a way to squat.
>>
>>35233925
Okay
>>
>>35232058
>going too heavy too soon

Snap city central ain't here bruv
>>
>>35232058
I have to be honest. SS, deadlifts to be precise, gave me a hernia.

Now I do body weight exercises and run 4 days a week, much better.
>>
>>35232058
Obviously it's not a meme if bodybuildings have been using it for years retard
>>
>>35234221
Bodybuilders like their isolation exercises more. You're thinking of powerlifters.

But that's ok, the meme is that it's the correct thing to do for literally everyone, especially the beginners.
>>
>>35234418
Are you implying bodybuilders don't do their compounds as well?
>>
>>35233079
most people who injure themselves with weights do it by dropping them on themselves.
>>
>>35234890
source?

>>35234777
no but I am implying that they'd be ok without them
>>
>>35234777
God damn, you're as dense as a diamond.

Of course they do their fucking compounds like everybody else, but their main focus is in isolation, fuckface.
>>
>>35234959
The fuck did you just call me, bitch?
>>
>>35233928
he's right though, I'm 6'2 with long femurs and I still squat

I don't have a very heavy squat, but i still do it..
>>
>>35234949
>source?
I can't remember.
>>
>>35233282
you forgot
>stress fractures
>torn acl, mcl, connective tissue of your choice
>fucked up knees for life
>>
>>35234949
>>35235096

A quick search brings up this

http://fitnessandfatless.yolasite.com/index/weightlifting-injury-statistics

"The most common injuries are caused by dropping weights onto the feet, or torso"
>>
i only trained the big three until i got a 1000lbs total. now i'm training more functional movements like front squats, overhead squats and axle deadlifts (no crossfit homo)
>>
>>35235094
how tall you are and how long your femurs are isn't the only factor. I was reading this

http://bretcontreras.com/transcribed-interview-with-stu-mcgill/

if you word search this interview for "dalmatian" it will take you to the section where they talk about shallowness/depth of the hip socket and how it affects rounding of the lower back in an atg squat.
>>
>>35235112
"The thing I'd love to tell all these people is that injuries could be enormously reduced, if only people would keep the barbells inside a power rack, or Smith machine and only lift the weight a few inches in their strongest, safest range of motion.

They would still get all the muscle building, strength increasing benefits of weightlifting and all the related health benefits, without the risk of full range movements, with heavy weights, in their most injury-prone positions."
>>
"Rhea (2003) suggests there is no practical difference in injury rate between using free weights or machines in healthy adults."

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Safety.html
>>
>>35233768
So you're telling me that if I was just one inch taller, I'd be too tall to Squat?

baka senpai
>>
>>35232109

>implying that 300 lbs is anything
>>
>>35232058
I did fuck up my lower back a few weeks ago while deadlifting. My back wasn't straight and I fucked up. I feel a pain in the lower right side of my back.

How do I fix this shit? Pain is mostly there when I sit. It's 6 weeks ago. I just started deadlifting light again.
>>
Squats arent't just great for building muscle. They also work the stabilazors and skeletal bones to a much larger degree, which gives you stronger bones, tendons and ligaments - not just bigger muscles.
>>
>>35232619
Also, stretch AFTER lifting and warm up BEFORE lifting.
>>
>>35232182
Lokkemad
>>
>>35232058
I got a disk herniation because of bad posture while sitting. Squats and deadlifts (not doing PR's) actually help my sore back. They don't even irritate my shit. If I stop working out my back starts flaring as phuck.
>>
>>35235299
are you driving forward with the glutes and hamstrings when you deadlift as a push movement and then sitting back into the hips to lower the weight, or are you pulling up with the back?
>>
>>35235299
Stop deadlifting. Try to change positions. Strengthen your core (hard) improve flexibility in your hips.
>>
>>35235522
This. With deadlifts, you need to think "forward and back", not "up and down".
>>
>>35235522
No I pull with my lower back indeed.. Was at 4 plate 1rm, so have been doing it wrong all the time.
>>
>>35232058
I think I got a mild sciatica after last workout. Everytime I move my leg into certain position or try some specific forms like squat I get radiating pain from back all the way to my feet. Fuck.
>>
>>35232619
Rippetoe says you shouldn't stretch at all.
>>
>>35239212
No he doesn't you retard.
>>
>>35239221
Fuck me do I have to get out my copy of starting strength?
>>
>>35232109
>implying a 3pl8 squat is out of reach for the average lifter
>implying proper form doesn't make it absolutely fine to have that much weight on your spine.

DYEL?
>>
>>35232058
i had a bad back for a while.. lumbar pain ever since late childhood (was a fatty).
was starting to get obese 2 years ago, and that really aggravated it (Ended up having a disc out of alignment, couldn't walk without pain)

1 year ago i started losing weight (down to 180lb from 265lb) and lifting.

i started off doing low-weight, high-rep deadlifts, (and reading "becoming a supple leopard).

currently i do low-rep, high-weight (275lb) stiff-legged deadlifts, and my back feels better than ever.

deadlifts not only aren't bad for your back... they are immensely good for your back..

also squats don't hurt your spine as long as you keep that shit properly aligned.

that is literally what the fuck your spinal erectors are for.
>>
>>35239212
well if that is the case, fuck rippetoe.
that is almost as stupid as his nutritional advice.

kelly starrett is a much more viable source of kinesiological information
>>
>>35232773
How the hell do you manage to work triceps while didlying? Do you try to clip the bar through the floor after putting it down?
>>
If you would be crippled during a lift if you fainted mid-rep, then that lift isn't safe.
Even if you have safety pins a heavy back squat will fuck up your spine if you do not actively clap your hands together and dump the bar.

Deadlift, front squat with pins, and bench with chest level pins, are relatively safe with correct form. Perfect form on a back squat will not save your back if a hamstring tendon unexpectedly tears.
>>
>>35239246
He actually recomends warming up by doing a few minutes of cardio, preferably in a rowing machine, before starting your squats.
>>
>>35239398
>tfw i unrack and re-rack my 300 lb barbell off of two wooden posts in my backyard and squat with no safety bars.
>>
>>35239481
Well don't get stung by a bee I guess.
>>
>>35232200

Is this a new meme?
>>
>>35232182
Losers gonna lose
>>
>>35239539
Are there any good ways to squat without a cage? I have everything I need in my backyard, a pullup bar, a dip station, enough dumb bells/barbells and plates etc. But I don't really have a good way to squat without risking death. squat racks cost like $200 at Dick's, maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy one
>>
>>35233774
Loled.
If you have any reasonable definition at all, you're better than 96% of the world
>>
>>35239621

spotter stands + stands to put the bar on
>>
>>35234213
Gave up before he even tried
>>35234959
>Claims bodybuilders don't squat
>Gets mad when we correct him
>>
>tfw chronic knee tendonitis because of squats

Wish i could go back a year and slap myself. This constant pain is not worth it.
>>
>>35239621
saw horses rated for very high weights can serve as catches. There are guides on building them for weight training or you could just buy plastic 500lb rated ones for $80ish for a pair.
>>
Since this thread seems to be for morons like me, has anyone gone through cortisone injection for herniated disc? I fucked up mine while deadlifting too much at one time, which has left me a restless leg syndrome.
>>
>>35239664
forgot to add im just 20 making this shit even worse.

t-thanks /fit/
>>
I did. Had my form slip once on the last rep of my last set doing deadlift. Now I've been out of the gym for 2 weeks. Had to carry boxes of paper yesterday and my back hurts again. What a waste of time. Never doing compounds beside bench ever again.
>>
>tfw wish i never started lifting in the firstplace

Really feel like i've fucked up my body
>>
>>35239645
>>35239679
I appreciate it, I'm going to go to Dick's and sports authority on monday to see what they have in stock in terms of safety stands and such. The only downside is now I won't have the adrenaline of impending paralyzation to fuel my reps..
>>
>>35239398
>spontaneus muscle explosion makes squats dangerous!
>>
>>35239664
You were probably not hitting depth.
>>
>>35239664
Should have squatted properly before loading up the bar, champ. Also, try not to spend 12 hours a day seated, that's probably killing your knees faster than poorly done squats.
>>
People in this thread just need to invest in a gym with a Prowler.
>unilateral
>5x100ft pushes at multples of bodyweight works out posterior chain+static strength of chest girdle and arms.
>all reps are concentric
>no excuse to stop because you never get stuck in the hole (squat) and form breakdown wont kill your lumbar (dl)
>longer strides workout posterior chain like a lunge
>drags will overload the fuck out of vmo quads
>most common injury is scrape on knee

A diet of front squats, sldl, and prowlers will keep you relatively injury free.
>>
>>35239822
By all means, do an exercise that can cripple you if something goes wrong when there are safer variations that get you the same results.
You can probably also bench more with suicide grip so please start doing that, too.
>>
>>35240032
>there are safer variations that get you the same results
lol
>>
>>35240032
>By all means, do an exercise that can cripple you
WHATEVER IT TAKES
>>
I blamed squats and deadlifts too. And then I realized just how truly weak my core was, and how uncoordinated my glutes were. Just a couple of days of core and glute workouts and my lower back is already feeling better. Should be able to squat/deadlift again safely in like two weeks.
>>
>>35232058
op you are a fucking retard

>>35240614
this

People don't have a clue how to brace. That means when they deadlift, if their entire core isn't stiff the whole weight will rest on the lower back. That means pain and you will die. I had this problem first months when I started and started to hit 2 plate on both squats and deadlifts. Now I don't give a shit about doing my squats one after another thinking that if I pause between reps my gains will run away. Take time to brace properly between every rep, actively engaging your entire core and keeping that belly in. Once I started do that my back pain was gone in a week and my strength gains skyrocketed.

People are stupid. Learn to lift
>>
>>35240515
Reminder that front squat>back squat for quads and DL variations are superior for posterior chain.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.