[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck were Ancient Greeks swole as fuck? They did not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: 7b20b-herculesfarnese.jpg (23KB, 419x383px) Image search: [Google]
7b20b-herculesfarnese.jpg
23KB, 419x383px
How the fuck were Ancient Greeks swole as fuck? They did not have access to steroids like we do today. Did aliens assist them? Is such a thing even possible?
>>
File: latest[1].png (527KB, 439x578px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
527KB, 439x578px
Same way anime characters get swole, they're fictional or exaggerated. This is what a god, not a man, looked like to the Greeks. If that man appeared and walked among Greeks, he would probably be considered a god. Is there any evidence that the Greeks even lifted?
>>
The same way accounts of kings and leaders single handedly killing thousands of men in battle are completely embellished and not to be trusted same goes with statues. Most like those in the OP are depictions of mythical figures and the bodies imagined for them to have had. In reality doing fuck tons of cardio, eating a shitty low cal diet and lifting irregularly they would have been ottermode as fuck
>>
>>35231733
same way anyone else got whole pre-steroids

btw sculptures such as that are unlikely to be based on real proportions, it's safe to say the sculptor likely took some artistic license and exaggerated the muscles from the model to create the Hercules figure
>>
>>35231763
swole*
>>
>>35231733
Some people are naturally big guys and some people blame their inferior genetics on japanese cartoons (>>35231755).
>>
File: greek.gif (40KB, 308x309px) Image search: [Google]
greek.gif
40KB, 308x309px
>>35231755
>Is there any evidence that the Greeks even lifted?

They hosted the very first Olympic games and they expertise in athletics in Athens, and Spartans in Sparta. They also invented wrestling.

Spartan were trained to be soldiers from the age of 6. They were far from ottormode.
>>
>>35231778

>Average height of ancient greeks was 5'4
>People existed that were 7ft tall and 300+lbs

Okay buddy
>>
>>35231788
>Average height in the US is 5'9
>People not existing 7ft tall + 300 lbs

Okay buddy
>>
>>35231780

>Spartan were trained to be soldiers from the age of 6. They were far from ottormode.

Please take a highschool history class before commenting.

>Watching 300 and thinking hurr spartans r jacked ganna do spartan workout and get big hurr spartan mentality

Are you 13?
>>
>>35231756
On the other hand I like to imagine that the ghost of some ancient king is pretty mad that he worked his ass off to perform legendary feats such as destroying whole armies by himself or punching a whole mountain into dust only for future generations to dismiss all his hard work as "lol myths and legends, didn't happen".
>>
Because you read too many comics. This pseudo-archaeological interest in ancient greek fitness is autistic as fuck. People love romanticizing this shit because they like to believe that at one time there was an ideal nation that humanity can still re-achieve.

Grow the fuck up, you're not 12 anymore. Read a damned book
>>
>>35231803
Educate yourself nigger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPYhQOaQZgM
>>
>>35231801

You're obviously not a very smart man so ill spell it out kiddo. Nutrition plays a massive role in hgh levels during puberty. Kids being born with rediculous height now is attributable to the diet available to them. Most ancient greeks lived on a 1000-2000 day calorie diet, hence their tiny stature. Please stop posting now youre showing your stupidity
>>
>>35231814

>Tells others to educate themself
>Posts BBC youtube documentary as source

Yeah you're a real historian. If it isnt a peer reviewed paper dont waste my time you fucking child pleb
>>
>>35231803
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLdTZzj9Yc

28:00 you fucking nigger
>>
>>35231818
Unfortunately, I am a big guy in comparison to you and will not stop posting. You don't get to end threads.
>>
>>35231818
This. Too many people have bought into the whole spartan meme. Great warriors for their time, but not at all comparable to what modern man is capable of.
>>
File: 1449519806230.jpg (105KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449519806230.jpg
105KB, 600x600px
>>35231755

Are you fucking retarded?

Every Greek citizen could row and fight. Each spent several hours each day competing in sporting events and sparring.

At the battle of marathon, the entire Athenian male population sprinted a mile carrying full armor and weaponry. Olympic rowers can barely maneuver Greek triremes.

Old man Socrates would have kicked your ass.
>>
>>35231818

Desu senpai.

One reason the romans were able to kicka ass was because they had access to more food than anyone else.

While the German Soldiers were scavenging berries and rabbits in the woods, the Roman Legions had an all you could eat grain buffet.
>>
Height follows normal distribution you dumb faggot. Any height you can imagine is possible it just becomes really really unlikely the more it deviates from the average.
>>
>>35231954
And what about eating, you fucking simpleton? Think they had several pounds of chicken breast in the freezer? Even today, chicken/meat isn't that common in the Mediterranean diet.

Also, they would've put far more emphasis on cardio anyway - especially long distance/endurance. Even for a Spartan, fighting was a marathon, not a sprint.

Most - besides the genetic freaks - would've been ottermode.
>>
>>35231825
BBC is so unreliable yeah. You're a fucking idiot, the Spartans didn't get their reputation because of some fucking movie made 10 years ago, shit was real
>>
Ottermode is the natural peak of functional athleticism, especially if you're not powerlifting 2 hours a day and eating nothing but chicken breasts. Look at native american and african warriors.

Or you can be Maori fatass if you want to be big and fierce.
>>
>>35231827

Stopped watching when they started talking about a boy hiding a stolen fox cub under his clothes successfully while the fox attacked him, as if it actually happened. Apparently in Sparta, foxes are domestic farm animals and distressed fox cubs are completely silent.
>>
>>35231755
>this entire post
holy shit nigger, I can't believe I 8 this b8
>>
I actually took a course in Ancient Greek Civilization at uni for a general education requirement, and I learned that in a lot of ancient Greek cities (Athens, Mycenae, Sparta etc) they all had dedicated gynasiums where only the men would workout. It's not necessarily known what equipment they used, but the men would train naked and compete in fighting sports like boxing or pankration.

For men in Ancient Greece, being fit was something you just did.
>>
>>35232051
Are you fucking retarded many of ancient Greece was covered in farmland, not to mention there was the first techincal marketplace in existence that originated in Greece. They had access to plenty of food not to mention different KINDS of food.

You're a moron. Good b8 i fell for it
>>
>>35232185

Well, for a very specific subset of the male population at least.
>>
>>35231733
steroids are for the weak that's how
>>
>>35232198
These niggas dead ass made this thread into a history lesson
>>
>>35231733

There were probably people who's job was to eat, lift and get big and stay ripped for the purpose of modeling. People who were actually strong in those days would have been builtfat
>>
>>35231780

On the filo 300 they looked like a bunch of curlbros and otter fags
>>
>>35231733
Rowing.
The Greeks all rowed and that's why they were so fit, they probably lifted heavy rocks and shit too.
>>
>>35231733
piss poor quads desu
>>
>>35231954
>At the battle of marathon, the entire Athenian male population sprinted a mile carrying full armor and weaponry. Olympic rowers can barely maneuver Greek triremes.

Of course the average person was way more fit back then - they had to do way more manual labor, and entertainment was largely physical activities - but come on, what's more likely?

That every Athenian was capable of feats hardly achievable by the most elite of modern athletes, with today's knowledge of training and nutrition

OR

that the historians of the times painted them a bit more badass then they actually were?
>>
>>35231780
You don't seriously believe that they invented wrestling do you?
>>
Holy fuck the autism in this thread. Sure, maybe they didn't lift. I know plenty of people who are big and strong and don't lift - they do a shit ton of manual labor.

And this shit about them eating 1000-2000 calories a day? Laughable. They aren't England in the Dark Ages.
>>
>>35232054
>>35231954
>>35231827
>>35231814
>>35231780
>WE WUZ BIG AND SHIT
>>
>>35233385
That has nothing to do with the average person anon. He said citizens. The average aGreek was not a citizen. Citizens were landowning men more or less. So essentially people with nothing but free time. Sort of like modern day /fit/ neets but they actually commanded respect.

Also, cheating was very big in sports back then.
>>
>>35231733

Being fit was very important in ancient greece man, Plato was well known because of his wide as fuck back and shoulders, and he was a phylosopher, not an elite athlete. There are some measurements of the shoulder width, weight and height of some of this guys that are quite impressive, can't find them now tho. They also had very good nutrition, lots of fruits and veggies, grains, legumes and lean meats and fish. Some of them trained during their entire lifes. They also were shorter than us, and some would say their test levels were higher because they didn't breathe and eat so much shit as we do, who knows.

Also, Natty limit is higher than you seem to think it is, specially if you've been training since you were a child, and raised in a society were big muscles are a sign of divinity. I'm quite sure there were some Greeks that looked like statues, or close, pic related, Eugene Sandow, he was a bodybuilder way before steroids existed, and his training and nutritional knowldege would seem like a fucking joke today.

>Anyways, those are sculptures man, they are not real.

Probably the artist would exagerate some muscles to make them look more like gods or mythological heroes.
>>
ITT: ignorance definition by american education
>>
>>35233418

Yeah, okay. Let's assume they were doing nothing but working out. Like getting buff is their job, and they had people cook them meals and do other shit, so they could focus on being badass. So kinda like modern athletes, except they didn't have two thousand years of scientific progress backing them up.

Yet they were even better?
>>
>>35233469
I didn't say that.

Also, sports science is relatively new, especially in the United States. Sport science as a useful discipline came out of the Soviet Union in the middle 1900's. We are decades behind.

So, that's not even 1 century, I'm not sure where you get 2000 years.
>>
File: LIT Greek selection.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
LIT Greek selection.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>35231755
>>35231756
>>35231954
>>35232051

>talking without knowing shit

>>35231814
>>35231827

>Posting youtube documentaries as sauce

Jesus Christ the lack of knowledge is triggering. I mean, It's amazing how much /fit/izens are actually illiterates. You should go /lit/, or even /his/ and lurk for a couple of years before talking like you know something dude. Seriously, you are making yourself look like retards, the living meme of meatheads with big biceps but small brains
>>
>>35231780
Well that looks gay as fuck so they had that part nailed.

>>35231756
Implying any mentally sane man would like anything more than otter
Implying they would want to be big with diminished endurance to impress each other

Functional strength lad. Hoplites had to carry their heavy armor and be able to lightly jog in it. Core+arms had to be strong as fuck to handle shield+spear
If they were big guys they would sweat and be out of breath in 5min. Spring and summer in Greece is really hot
>>
>>35233184
>>35232185
>>35233426

This three anons have a point.
>>
>>35231974

Yet Germania was never conquered, and a bunch of Germanic barbarian tribes sacked Rome repeatedly until she couldn't take it anymore and imploded..
>>
>>35233519

The flipside to that is that fights between organised hoplite units were basically a rugby scrum with added pointy bits. Strength and size are an advantage in that, up to a point.
>>
>>35233513
>here, read the Ancient Greek equivalent of Hollywood entertainment!
>the descriptions of everything within are entirely 100% accurate, no exaggeration, of course!

You're literally retarded. Ancient Greeks were all in fairly good shape due to good diet and needing to work to survive, but those statues are representations of gods, not the common man. Being big means eating in excess, not a luxury afforded to many people.

As posted before, most soldiers were like all soldiers before and since. A respectable amount of muscle and an assload of cardio.
>>
>>35233532

Romanized germans, for the most part.
>>
>>35233426
I wouldn't call him close to the statues, but this was probably typical, yeah, if a bit more fat.
>>
>>35231733
Just look at the statue linked. Abs suggest very low bodyfat, while the rest suggests builtfat. Likely a mix of an ottermode model whose ab size was exaggerated and a builtfat soldier.
>>
>>35231733
>Greek's knew what muscles looked like
>Artist makes a design if it were a big guy
Of cause the soldiers we see are strong, no one gives a fuck about olive farmer 1247 who got a spearhead through the eye and died 10 seconds into the battle.
>>
File: 1438511086755.jpg (218KB, 887x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1438511086755.jpg
218KB, 887x1536px
>>35231733

That's just a natty limit bodybuilder model pumped with a bit of extra muscles added to look "more than human". Average Greek did not look like that you retard, not practical, but they too had bodybuilders.

Yes, there were guys who worked as models in ancient times. Yes, the natty limits is higher than what you think it is: pic related. Yes you are fucking retarded. Yes you should lurk more cause we have this thread twice a week.
>>
>>35233702

Also, keep in mind this early XX century bodybuilders knew shit about nutrition and their workouts were far from optimal.
>>
>>35233706

While they may have known shit about the details, a lot of what they followed seems to have been pretty well correct based on later research.

Although their differing goals would've affected the results a fair bit.
>>
That's a representation of fucking Hercules, you fucking idiots.
>>
>>35233715

I have to agree
>>
File: 1415793119357.png (105KB, 1311x399px) Image search: [Google]
1415793119357.png
105KB, 1311x399px
>>35231733
>>35231755

>they dont know anything
>>
>>35231733

They put in the work.
>>
>>35232051

what the fuck are you saying retard. I can't be any more Mediterranean and meat is a fucking staple here. Everyone eats meat with every single fucking meal. Don't talk out of your ass you dumb fuck retards might actually believe you.
>>
>>35231803
They had to be great fighters to keep their rebellious slaves under control.
>>
>>35235063
Oh look an expert and definitely not a bullshitter on the internet of all places

Yes the famous Mediterranean diet is absolutely meat and two veg
>>
>>35235118

Here you fuccboi go and look around

http://dietamediterranea.com/menu-para-la-semana-del-14-al-20-de-diciembre-de-2015/

Too bad your tiny American fuckbrain can't comprehend a second language so you're shit out of luck I guess.
>>
>>35235063
This. As a Italian living in a rural area we always have meat ,and somekind of pasta. We have plenty of veg because they grow in the garden and are testy as fuck. I also get my proteins from the chickens. We have 20 ATM and a rooster. Most ppl I know are thin or ot mode majority 6 feet in height. Because how hot is here mist people have 1 main meal a day . I normal would have a coffee in the morning some sandwich or pastry for lunch and when I'm back home I would have a big ass feast. Chicken breasts with grilled weg and some pasta. Very really you see fat people but if there are any they are usually males in 40-50s that don't work or have season jobs.
>>
>>35235156

Oh look, a special edition in english for retards like you:

http://dietamediterranea.com/en/7-13-december-2015/

Now please repeat what you stated above, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>35235177

I know man. Our diet might very well be the best diet in the whole fucking world. These ignorant American kids just have no fucking clue what they are talking about. Must be all the garbage in their soda and hamburgers fucking with their reasoning. Can't blame them for that though, just pity them.
>>
>>35232051

You don't need meat to get big, only to get big fast.
>>
>>35235156
While I'm not American, are you really having a hiss fit and accusing Americans of not being able to into Spanish of all languages? You gonna start telling the Canadians they need to learn more French next?

And Spanish isn't a language I'm overly familiar with but I'm not seeing a lot of meat. I am seeing a lot of apples and oranges and squash and fruit and veg in general.
>>
>>35231733

They lifted weights, dumbass.
>>
>>35235211

There is meat and/or fish in all main dishes (both dinners we eat twice a day at least in Spain, midday and evening). Check the second link I pasted, it's in english. Sorry for my roidrage but ignorant statements without sources piss me the fuck off mate.
>>
>>35235222
Fish is usually the big difference. You have to remember how Germanic/Anglo these people who talk about the Mediterranean diet are overly focused on some spam in bread or with potatoes or whatever and honestly never eat that much fruit and veg, or fish, and think if there isn't a half pound slab of crap on the side it isn't a proper meal. It's honestly like mass autism or something.

Also of I'm not misreading it, isn't Tuesday and Saturday meat free? I sympathise btw. If you ask the average westerner about Yugoslav food you'll get a jabber of "meatmeatmeat" probably, yet Serbs have one of the largest selections of vegan meals out there and the Croatians love their fish.
>>
>>35235286

Yeah I understand your point, at least some of us know better. Also I checked and yeah it seems like Saturday and Sunday there's less meat but it's still in there, just not in both dinners.

Keep in mind this is a diet put together by some mediterranean cuisine experts for optimum health etc. From personal experience we eat more meat/fish than what is shown there. Best thing about living here is the price + freshness. Nothing can beat that desu.
>>
>>35231733
They paid their debts
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.