[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CG - Cardio General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 71045373_XS.jpg (16KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
71045373_XS.jpg
16KB, 400x265px
Hey guys, didn't see one in the catalog so I thought I'd start a Cardio General. Discuss anything cardio related here - running, jogging, swimming, cycling, rowing, etc.

Thought I'd start off asking you all a question:

So I've been into weightlifting for a few years, but am now trying to get into more serious cardio training. I played sports in high school, so I consider myself a somewhat proficient runner already, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it. For the past few weeks, I've been running 5 days a week, sometimes 6. On Mon, Wed, Fri I try to do an hour of moderate intensity jogging, usually doing somewhere around 6 miles for the hour. On Tues, Thurs, and/or Sat I'll usually do about 2 miles after weight training, takes me around 15 minutes or so.

So I wanted to ask you guys if you think that is too much running for me to be doing in a week? I feel great so far, no issues with injuries, no unusual soreness, and I always take at least 1 day off a week. But I'm doing between 20-25 miles in a week, and for someone who is just starting to get serious about cardio, this seems like a lot. What do you all think?

Also, discuss cardio training here please
>>
File: beginner_bike_interval_workout.jpg (94KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
beginner_bike_interval_workout.jpg
94KB, 900x450px
Bumping with my second favorite cardio exercise
>>
Damn, these threads sometimes get a lot of traction around here. Anyone got any runs or rides planned for the weekend? If you had to pick one and only one type of cardio to do for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
>>
>>35136562
Jump rope till the day I die
>>
>>35136323
I don't think you are overdoing it. But how about setting some goals so you can put in order all that exercise? It seems like its a little all over the place
>>
>>35136597
Well, my routine is pretty straightforward and has been for a while. I'm just getting the hang of more prolonged routine cardio workouts. The first time I ran 5 miles without stopping I was amazed, I'd never done more than 2 before.

Mon, Wed, Fri I run a loop around my neighborhood that's about 5.5 miles, sometimes I do an extra mile if I finish in under 50 minutes. Tues, Thurs, Sat I'll do some barbell squats 3x12 or 4x10, and a lot of bodyweight work, pushups, pullups, core work. I'll try to do an easy 2 mile jog on Tuesday and then either Thursday or Saturday, sometimes both.

I've been loving running almost every day though, sometimes I just worry about my knees and joints. You don't think that much running in a week is too much over the long term?
>>
File: 328641.jpg (29KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
328641.jpg
29KB, 900x900px
>>35136593
Sounds good friend :^)
>>
>10 minutes into my run
>have to shit
EVERY FUCKING TIME MAKE IT STOP
>>
>>35136756
As I said, I don't think you are overdoing it. I do something similar. workout mon-tues/thu-fri. Rest wed, sat and sunday. Jog 5k on mon, 10k on wed, 5k on sats, and I'm comfortable with it. I do it coz I enjoy it and I was projecting a little when I said that it looked all over the place cos I was thinking that maybe I should follow a plan to train for half a marathon or focus on my 10k or something.
>>
So, I've been lifting for a while and am a fairly Big Guy as a result, but I've been seriously neglecting cardio and I want to get into running more. Any particular advice for a 200+ lbs runner? Is a 20 min 5k a reasonable goal?
>>
File: 1445959033437.png (326KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1445959033437.png
326KB, 800x804px
Is pic related legit or not?
>>
>>35137871
If you haven't run in a long time, I'd say is unrealistic. Not that you can't do it, but you'll be very sore for the days after. Aim for light 20 minutes jogs without caring about the distance, just to see where you are now, thrice a week and work from there.
>>
Going to start the spinning class at my gym soon as an alternate cardio day, what can I expect?
>>
>>35138380
yes

in most cases striking with mid foot is optimal

it's more efficient and easier on your joints and bones, the only drawback is it places more stress on your achilles tendon
>>
>tfw cant run because my left foot is flat and starts hurting 5 mins in

im so sick of shitty hiit workouts, i just want to run for an hour
>>
>>35138499
Aren't there insoles/shoe inserts for this?
>>
>>35138453
What about sprints/HIIT? I'm coming off shin splints and I kinda have to relearn running (I play basketball).
>>
>>35138536
yes, it applies to sprinting too

just don't run on your tiptoes, you might be inclined to do that when you come off your foot quickly when sprinting

it will definitely take the load off your shins tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E
>>
>>35138575
Thanks for the vid

>just don't run on your tiptoes
Why? My first fysio (who had all sorts of weird advice and exercises) told me to run from heel to toe, a teammate said to preferably run on your toes. Why midfoot and what's the difference between them all?
>>
>>35138617
>fysio
Physiotherapist*
>>
trying to complete 1.6miles (2km) at a 7min mile pace (8:40) but I cant seem to crack the 9min mark, I either pace myself at the start but lose too much time, or go hard at hte start but gass out.

Any tips?
>>
>>35138617
midfoot is the least injury prone + optimal efficiency for long

if you land on your tiptoes and never transfer the weight across your foot you're placing 100% of your weight throughout the movement on your achilles tendon

striking with your heel basically sucks dick UNLESS you have an achilles tendon condition, it's very harsh on the knees and shins, also inefficient as fuck
>>
if you want to lift alot and have that insane explosivness run stints, for instance jog for about 1 km, then do 100 m dashes, like dash, jog some meters, dash again, lifts will go through the roof and cardio will improve significantly
>>
>>35138434
Nice HIIT with little stress on your joints. Good for you but boring as water imo. There's a lot of people that gets really pumped with it tho, so don't listen to what I'm saying.
>>
>>35138664
Thanks bruv. I'll take it easy during practice and keep my running form in mind. Any other things I should keep in mind?
>>
>>35138663
Download a metronome app to mark your pace. Not even kidding.
>>
>>35138410
As of the past couple weeks I've been warming up with a 1 mile run at an 8:00 pace or so every day
>>
>>35138499
I have flat feet don't be a pussy
>>35138523
yes
>>
Will doing only cardio make me skinnyfat? Don't have a gym near me. I do have some db's and a bench so if I do that 3 times a week and do some HIIT will I be skinnyfat when I lose weight?
>>
>>35139691
If you have dbs, a bench and the intention to use them and besides that do cardio, you have all you need.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.