[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip flexor pain when squatting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-15-06-17-1.png (788KB, 734x1485px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-15-06-17-1.png
788KB, 734x1485px
The last week I've been having pain this area when squatting. At first I thought it was temporary but it has only gotten worse as I have continued. Has anyone else had the same problem and how did you fix it?
>>
>>35112087
having the same problem when I squat atg

it's probably because I sit on my ass all day but I've started stretching every day for 30min so we'll see how it goes
>>
>>35112087

impingement

widen your stance when squatting

/thread
>>
stretching my hip flexors, low back and glutes every morning stopped it.
>>
>>35112087

Unfortunately nobody can see your squat from here, so without a video of your squats from a decent angle there is no way to tell whether or not you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>35112108
I'm doing that but it doesn't help. Should I lay off the squatting for a week or two and only strech?
>>
>>35112134
>stretching in the morning
>>
squat down, hands together, albows to inner side of knees, press outwards, hold for 20-30 seconds
>>
you are squatting too heavy. you have muscle imbalances. Squat lighter and watch some ripple form videos and Jeff cavaliere.
>>
This every morning and right before squatting helped me tremendously.

https://youtu.be/JBHzXF-mVjY
>>
Don't stretch your lower back unless you want to visit snap city, retard.
>>
I had the same thing. Ill try to explain why you most likely have it.

You go deeper than your ankle mobility allows. Do a squat now in a resting position, sit straight down, not "back". Most likely you will get up on your toes.

now attempt an atg squat without letting your toes get off the ground. ITs not a comfortable position that you can hold for long. This is the position that is causing hip flexor problems.

So stop going deeper than your ankle mobility allows. Or widen your stance so you need less dorsiflexion to reach depth. Or squat with someting to raise your heels to compensate for ankle ROM. This can cause knee problems though.

Its most likely this or you are using a too wide stance.
>>
>>35112087
I know my personal issue and reason I was feelin g this was because I have really weird leg mobility, kinda naturally bowlegged, Squat is my weakest lift by far and I only really use it as a stabilizing lift. some people just aren't made for squatting heavy. the only thing I have found that fixes it is doing alot of different squat type exercises at a lowish weight to make sure your muscles are absolutely perfectly well rounded.
>side step squats with just bar, 20 on each side for 1 set
>front squats something near just 1 plate
>back squats something near 1 plate + 25
>>always atg
>treadmill on insane incline at normal speed for like 15 min
> use deadlifts and leg press for strength building

I know squats are supposed to be a superior exercise but Some people just have physical conditions that prevent them from doing it at a heavy weight

pic unrelates
>>
>>35112087
are you self taught? most people dont realize that while the squat looks simple, there's a fair bit of technique to getting it right, a physio or a personal trainer (a proper one) would be you best bet.
>>
>>35113848
I meant 3 sets of side step squat
also obviously don't forget leg lifts and leg extensions but focus on form not on weight, most people CAN do 4 + plate, that doesnt mean they should.

also NEVER do calve raises, they are the most useless and retarded exercise on earth, the only thing that builds calves is running or incline walking. if you notice, rugby players always have the greatest legs but I've never seen one do a single calve raise
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl6hHNgFWI&index=2
>>
>>35112108
>widen stance
no. not thread.

Its about extrenally rotating your legs, or 'knees out' cue. it can actually be easier to have internal rotation with wide stance - so ignore that other guy.

it is impingement tho *most likely*
>>
>>35113870

Is this you? This is my goal body from now on.

Stats? Years of lifting? Programs used? Sups used?
>>
>>35112087
le dude, tilt your pelvis forward, increase distance between feet, stretch pre/post
>>
>>35114225
I had the same problem OP is having, pushing my knees out fixed it.
>>
Pretty normal if you work an office job or just sit in your basement all day.
Stretch and don't increase weight for now, focus on technique.
>>
>>35113848
The "physical condition" which prevents you is just mobility. Just work on your mobility and stop being such a pussy.
>>
File: humble_pie_pizza.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
humble_pie_pizza.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
>>35114246
no this is Sean O'brien
What I described was more or less what he does but he also runs a shit ton

he isnt a typical weight lifter in that he isn't any sort of explosive, he's just kinda a brick wall that cant be stopped. Grinding strength beats explosive almost any day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-WJVHsGoc
>>
File: 1447713284098.jpg (177KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
1447713284098.jpg
177KB, 1024x730px
>>35114499
no it's severe-hypermobility, it's an actual genetic physical condition you asshole, it's been debilitating my whole life, hyper extension is so incredibly easy for some-one like me look that shit up and stop making fun of crippled people that are trying to get fit you ass.

It causes a plethora of painful syndromes and it's absolutely unfix-able. it also makes surgeries almost absolutely useless.

You're an ass dude, I've been fighting this all my life, prescription opiates and steroids and splints and you're gonna call me a pussy. Go make fun of some guy in a wheelchair dick.
>>
>>35115549
That looks fucking delicious

>tfw on a cut
>>
File: url.png (6KB, 179x281px) Image search: [Google]
url.png
6KB, 179x281px
>>35115655
I mean desu THAT pizza isn't really all that bad for you, no greasy meat, natural mozerella, lots of herbs, probably high quality bread, prob not that big either, as long as you do some running you should prob be able to eat atleast a slice or 2 with out any negative effects.. of THAT pizza, I don't mean Papa Johns or Digorno's
>>
>>35115610

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
>>
>>35115784
207 pounds 5'10
used to play rugby
>>
File: afgs-1024x629.jpg (113KB, 1024x629px) Image search: [Google]
afgs-1024x629.jpg
113KB, 1024x629px
>>35112087
Medfag here. Had this for a few months and it was really annoying. The first thing you have to do is stop aggravating it.

This condition is called Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome (FAGS for short). FAGS happens when the head of the femur pretty much grinds at the front of the hip capsule during hip extension, instead of staying in balance between the anterior and the posterior part of the capsule.

This indicates a muscle imbalance between the muscles that pull the head of the femur backwards, specifically the glute muscles and more specifically the gluteus maximus who inserts into the gluteal tuberosity, located at the upper and lateral surface of the femur (therefore the femur is pulled backwards because of the high insertion point) and the hamstrings, who insert into the head of the fibula and tibial condyles, therefore have no control over the head of the femur.

So, during hip extension, the weaker glutes don't pull the head of the femur enough for it to glide backwards while the stronger/tighter hamstrings let it glide forward.

The solution to your problem is somewhat complex. You need to 1) Strengthen your glutes 2) Stretch your hamstring 3) STOP stretching your hip flexors 4) Strengthen your hip flexors. This is somewhat difficult to achieve because glutes and hamstrings have the same function, so by doing hip extension, you 'll automatically recruit your already stronger hamstrings instead of your glutes. And if that's not enough, stretching your hamstrings will cause an anterior glide of the femur and could make the problem worse. So here is how you approach the issue and how I solved it :

1) Isometric glute bridges. You try to use as much as glute as possible while minimizing hamstring involvement. Use a medium leg stance, being on your heels helps too. Do these every single day, 3 times a day, and make sure to hold the contraction until your glutes are literally on fire.

(1/2)
>>
>>35112087
Yes, it's tendonitis. Don't listen to idiots in this thread, it's just tendonitis, period.

Stop squatting for a week or two and ice the area everyday, then come back and start light, if it still feels weird don't squat for another week. Make sure to warm up properly. By warming up properly I mean do 3 minutes cardio in the row machine and several light sets, and stretch a bit your quads and adductors beforehand.

Happenned to me, was an idiot and didn't stop squatting, the pain became unbearable and had to rest for several months from squatting in order to let it heal completely, don't be an idiot with this.
>>
>>35113870
>most people CAN do 4 + plate
Post discarded.
>>
>>35115904
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl6hHNgFWI

Hamstring stretch with band distraction

3) Use a low stool. Put your foot on it. Bend at the hip to stretch the hamstrings and make sure your spine remains neutral. That's a normal hamstring stretch. Now, to it make appropriate for your condition, while doing the stretch you must use both your hands and squeeze right where the hip joint is in order to press the head of the femur down into the socket and not let it glide forward.
>>
>>35115610
Hey bud, fellow cripple here. I know how you feel. It can be very frustrating when your body does things you don't want it to.
Now, get off your high horse and stop being such a bitch.
And post more of that cat. Holy fuck that face makes me laugh.
>>
>>35115986
>>35115904
>Medfag here
He didn't even mention what kind of pain he feels, or at what precise moment in the movement he feels it, you need to stop giving advice until you actually finish the degree, faggot.
>>
stretching desu

i used to have pain around that area untill i started to stretch
>>
>>35115904

finally someone with an ounce of sense. so many idiots on here with capital ideas like "more fish oil" and "bow your knees out"
>>
>>35115610
>tfw 25 and my hyper extending thumb is startin to get athritis
>>
>>35115973
I meant for leg extension not squats you tard
>>
>Have this problem
>Make similar thread
>2 replies
>hurr deload for a week
What magic incantation did you perform before posting this, OP?
>>
>>35116027
I love the cat so much, it's like perma tarded
>>
>>35112087
You and all the other guys who get this pain.
It's because you are squatting onto your hipflexors. Hard to explain, easy to show, but basically you are just sinking ontop of them and when you get to depth, they will hurt.
If you squat low bar, then you arent getting your but out enough, if high bar, you arent folding correctly-think sit behind your flexors but not on.
As has been mentioned, widening stance, or flaring knees out both can fix it.
>>
>>35116037
Pain happens especially in the up movement of the squat, It is a sharp pain and well localized.

Also I have very weak adductors that always give DOMS after squats.
>>
File: 1449005332354.jpg (208KB, 1000x1385px) Image search: [Google]
1449005332354.jpg
208KB, 1000x1385px
>>35112087
I have the same problem but mine is lower down right beside my dick? wat do? its only the left side as well
>>
>>35116309
Inguinal hernia. Go to a doctor.
>>
File: 1447286486574.jpg (64KB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447286486574.jpg
64KB, 405x720px
>>35116353
>Inguinal hernia

It goes away after a few sets of squats, I'm doing oly lifting and its sore when front squatting. Fucking gp's in uk are useless for diagnosing anything and you can't really go directly to the doctor unless its an emergency.
>>
>>35116353
>Go to a doctor.
This should have been the first and last response ITT.
>>
>>35112156
Are you doing enough warm up sets? My hips bother me on warm ups for squats but by the time I get to working weight there is no pain.
>>
>>35116353
>>35116407
In my case (not OP) it only presents itself when squatting >105 kg. Sometimes it's there on a barely perceptible level after two days without squatting, but no other movement aggravates it. That doesn't seem consistent with a hernia to me.
>>
Go to a physiotherapist. I literally had the same Problem and the hip flexor stretches he showed me fixed my Problem. Also Experiment with your stance, sometimes not a wider but a closer one will help. And dont squat soley with your hip flexors, activate all relevant muscles
>>
>>35116455
Same for me as well, after a few warm ups my pain goes away
>>
>>35115909
>i had tendonitis
>therefore you have tendonitis
youre the idiot here.
>>
>>35115904

good post, but I hope you mean temporarily stop stretching hip flexors. I laugh every time I have to talk about a disease called FAGS
>>
>>35117485
Literally every response.
>>
>>35117640
>these guy are dum for doing a thing
>does the thing
everyone is dum.
>>
>>35112104
I sit on my ass for most of the day but I also workout 6 days a week. Am I killing my gains?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.