[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scapula position and pressing exercises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

In the bench press you're supposed to retract your scapulae and keep them pinned down.

In the overhead press you're supposed to protract your scapulae and let them upwardly rotate.

What the hell do you do in a 45 degree incline press?
>>
>>35055744
SS+GOMAD
>>
Nobody?
>>
Same as normal bench, pinch them together. I used to just not do anything and I noticed it aggravated my shoulder. Now that I pinch them together I never have shoulder issues. This has been the same for my friend who previously dislocated both of his shoulders. He couldn't go more than half down before a lot of pain. Now that he pinches his shoulders together he's pain free. Also make sure you don't go down to like your clavicles. Go lower on your chest, usually just above your nips
>>
>>35055744
>>35056009
Personally, I think if you have good scapular mobility it'll sort itself out once you can really feel the weight on the bar.

Just sitting at my desk, if I extend my arm out in front of me and tuck my shoulders, I can't raise my arm up past parallel without resisting the pull from my lats. but it might be different trying to sit on a bench with protracted scapula, because you need to lay your scapula down on the bench for support.

If it isn't obvious to you, you're probably unco-ordinated enough that you should just spend more time benching and pressing until you build up some better movement patterns.
>>
>>35056190
What about this?
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 388x500px
>>35055744
>retract the meme-ula
>>
http://bretcontreras.com/when-coaching-cues-attack-packing-the-shoulder/

This is a good article. Also I think Rippletits was right. Try it yourself right now.

If you pack scapulae like in the bench and press up you will feel impingement. If you let them move up and shrug that feel is gone.
>>
>>35057149
Hello Reddit.
>>
>>35055744
>upwardly rotate
what do you mean
>>
>>35057407
>If you let them move up and shrug that feel is gone.
I find what he calls shrugging perfectly natural and I've always just done it on OHP. The close packed form is the most stable for the socket but it's also gives the ligaments and tendons around the bursae there the least room, so you get more rubbing and that.
>>
>>35058024
is that bad
>>
>>35057755
shrugging essentially.
>>
>>35058024
Yes "shrug" is not really a shrug. He means to upwardly rotate the scapulae. If you tell that to a guy he will just >>35057755 to you so that's why shrug is a good call. Also once you get higher in weight you need to actually force the scapulae to move since it won't do so naturally because of the heavy weight. It just wants to stay stable but the close packed form will cause impingement and that will fuck your things up

>>35058049
yes it's bad. Your inner shoulder squishy bits are caught between bones.
>>
>>35058049
>is impingement bad
yes
>>
I am having trouble understanding most of the words in this thread

I am also having trouble with my shoulder blades - they crackle a lot, sometimes painfully. I don't know what that means. Also when I do OHP, i feel pain in my shoulders too.
I have stopped lifting.
Are there any corrective exercises I can do?
>>
File: Screenshots_2015-11-16-11-44-03.png (572KB, 906x863px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshots_2015-11-16-11-44-03.png
572KB, 906x863px
>>35058166
It's this thing. Your scapula (shoulder blade) and clavicle (collar bone) can move around to accommodate the soft tissue around your humeral head (the bit of you upper arm bone in the shoulder joint). It allows your shoulder joint to be really very mobile, the most mobile in your body. But for the joint to become rigid and stable the bones have to make the fit tighter and that can cause impingement (where the tissues rub and become damaged and inflamed). You may have heard of the shoulder as a ball and socket, but the humeral head with the scapula and clavicle is more like a golf ball and tee to allow the movement. The soft tissue like muscles and tendons are a bit like elastic bands on the golf ball and tea and hold it together

>>35058082
>move since it won't do so naturally because of the heavy weight. It just wants to stay stable but the close packed form will cause impingement and that will fuck your things up
That's a real good way of thinking about it Noice one
>>
>>35057103
I think lifting your chest is a better que. Telling someone to squeeze there blades together might result in them pulling them too close together, while raising the chest puts the shoulders in a more natural position.
>>
>>35055744
The point of an incline bench is to stretch your pectorals outwards, so pinching the scapulae is part of the movement, though this does not mean you should do the exercise with packed shoulders.
>>
>>35058305
Here's my checklist for OHP

>lift bar, forearms parallel, strong grip engaged
>chest up, biceps near chest, lats engaged
>big breath, abs flexed, brace engaged
>gluteus maximums engaged as fuck
>lift straight up, scapulae rotation engaged
>lock out, breathe, back down and again
>>
>>35058353
I meat breathe at the bottom last time not up of I lose tension
>>
>>35058367
fuck my english
>>
>>35058329
>retract your scapula
>but also dont retract your scapula
th-thanks.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.