[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squats, /fits biggest troll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: PIo8E[1].jpg (209KB, 935x898px) Image search: [Google]
PIo8E[1].jpg
209KB, 935x898px
Telling beginners to squat is trolling them into injury and let me tell you why

The reason squat is so praised is because it involves the biggest muscles of the body through a large ROM, the quads and glutes. Because of this it will build more muscle than any other lift.

But it is also one of the most Dangerous exercises you can do. Therfore, telling someone to squat if all they want is bigger legs, is like telling them to take a very Dangerous road to Reach a destination that a much safer road leads to as well, and both will take the same time.

Because lets be real here, squats will not offer you gains that you cannot obtain through other exercises. Lunges and leg press will hypertrophy the quads just as good as a squat. They dont involve the glutes as much, but squats are a quad dominant exercise as well. So you can just do another exercise for the glutes anyway.

So there aren't really any benefits to squats other than they involve a lot of muscle, so if you have very little time in the gym you can just do squats and get finished quickly.

There is no reason to tell anyone who doesen't want to become a powerlifter or become good at squats, to do squats. Simply because there are WAY safer options out there that will get the same job done. Same With deadlifts.

And that is why squats are a troll.
>>
>>
I think this is bait, but I agree. Everybody who squats eventually gets fucked up knees, no way around it.
>>
>>35051472

How about you refute my arguments instead of ignoring facts and Logic because you have been brainwashed by that Rippetoe autist? Shit, I bet you even did GOMAD.
>>
Squats are literally only exercise you need for big legs. If you think otherwise you're an idiot.

>> 35051488
>I hurt myself doing Squats with awful form :((
>Don't do squats, you'll definitely get your knees hurt!!
>>
>>35051519
>Squats are literally only exercise you need for big legs. If you think otherwise you're an idiot.

But they are also extremely Dangerous, thats why it is more intelligent to do safer exercises that will hypertrophy the quads and glutes.

And squats definitely doesen't involve hamtrings nearly as much as quads, so stating that it is the only exercise you need for big legs is false
>>
>>35051457
>hypertrophy
There's the rub. Most beginner programs focus on STRENGTH which the squat is perfect for. If you are an athlete, a powerlifter, an Oly lifter or you just want to get a bit strong you should be squatting.

For bodybuilding the leg press, front squat combo is better.
>>
>>35051693

I disagree, "functional" training is bullshit. If you Train squats to get strong in real life situations you can might as well do leg press. Because if you are put in a real life situation where you for instance have to lift Furniture, a skinny person who lifts Furniture every day will have the edge over someone who squats say 315lbs. You get good at the specific Things you do. So claiming that you need to squat in order to be "strong", as in strong in real life situations, is completely false.
>>
>>35051749
"Functional" training is bullshit - I agree. It's not so much the fact you squat 315lb but rather that you have conditioned yourself to move weight effectively and display strength in a certain range of motion. The squat carries over to a lot of movements such as sprinting, kicking and running. You won't be as fast as a guy, trained to sprint, but your initial sprint will be faster because you are more explosive than him and you will generally have a faster 50m sprint after squatting than before.

That's why squats are used for the preparation of athletes. If you want to look good, however, you need to work the muscle in high volume but without putting so much effort that you can't complete your workout. Leg presses offer the same hypertrophy as the squat but are not as taxing to the body as a heavy squat session.
>>
>>35051749
It's the fact that squats help your explosiveness and uses way more muscle than leg press which is why pretty much shitloads of athletes do them even 100 m cardio runners.

>>35051693
>For bodybuilding the leg press, front squat combo is better.
Stfu faggot all the pros squat from Arnold to Ronnie to whomever is the fucking current bber is.
>>
Deadlifts are a bigger troll, but you're mainly right.
>>
>>35051749
>If you Train squats to get strong in real life situations you can might as well do leg press.

If you can't do a proper squat the reason is that you have a weakness. Maybe there is a certain tiny muscle in the hip somewhere that isn't strong enough, or maybe you just lack balance.
In either case it's a weakness that might very well fuck you over in a real life situation if you ever have to lift something with you legs. Meanwhile people who squat obviously have no problem pushing things with their legs as well.

Yeah, a person who lifts furniture every day is obviously best at lifting furniture. Then comes people who squat, and then comes people who leg press.
>>
File: fliping my shit.webm (2MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
fliping my shit.webm
2MB, 480x480px
At this point we should recommend beginners to not even lift. They might die or something
>>
>>35051784

I suppose it does help athletes in some way, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. But I think that would play a minor role compared to the more specific training they do for their respective activities. Im sure you could find world class athletes that dont squat.
>>
i'm a beginner and i love squatting. suck my ass.
>>
>>35051905

Not many, at least in sports where leg strength matters.

Skill work matters but the amount of GPP work that goes into creating a good athlete is insane. Its usually larger than the actual sport-specific work.
>>
>>35051877

Squats puts a lot of stress on the knees because of the amount of forward knee travel you need to Reach Depth, not everyone can handle that safely.

They also put a shitton of stress on the spine whenever you go too deep and round the back, or when you lean forward too much on the way up.

They also can put a lot of stress on the hips unless you use a narrow stance.

Countless of People have destroyed themselves squatting compared to say lunges. Squats are a high risk exercise.
>>
>>35051457
Squats are one of the best lifts possible for overall health if you do them properly. Basically almost all of the muscles which give you good mobility well into retirement are worked by the squat.

Leg press will give you bigger legs now, squats will let you get out of a chair by yourself well into your 90s. If you don't give a shit about that then sure, go do leg press.

I go this info from an uncle who's an orthopaedic surgeon btw, don't really have any input on whether it's a good exercise for bodybuilding.
>>
File: 1331760918499.png (407KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
1331760918499.png
407KB, 360x480px
>>35051457
I see your point but I disagree.

Squats are the best for big legs and for big strength period. Isolation or leg press won't make you as strong as just squats. I also disagree with squats being a primary quad movement. They can be a primary posterior chain movement but in reality they are both. There are power-lifters out there with relative small quads for their size and numbers.

I agree with your point that it can be dangerous for beginners. I am the 2nd squater in my gym and though a lot of people squat I look at them and all I see is knees caving in, heels rising, 1/4 roms and all kinds of crazy shit. People don't know how to squat. Your average joe goes into gym, hears that squats are good and starts doing them. He spends 2 or 3 sessions "learning" them and then never worrying about form ever. Just last week a guy broke his back squatting. I wasn't there to see it but the PT said he was leaning way too forwards. A beginner who researches how to squat and is constantly aware of his form will not die from squats.

>>35051946
this is why I don't think is a good idea to squat ass to grass if you aren't an Olympic lifter where that actually helps. Most people are fine at parallel or just bellow. Ass to grass will fuck you up if you don't have the mobility to do it. People should squat how according to their body limits and should address mobility issues but I don't see many doing that in my gym.
>>
>>35051988

To be fair, if the guy actually broke his back there was something going on besides just forward lean. Good mornings may suck but they're not spinebreakers.
>>
>>35051995
I wasn't there all I know is I found him on the floor unable to get up after squats. My last concern was asking him how
>>
I am starting to think there's truth to this.
Gotta stop squatting and deadlifting
>>
>>35051457
I'm on my first week of SL and yesterday I managed to palm a basketball and dunk it for the first time in my life. Think of that what you want.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.