[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rugby Preseason

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (340KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340KB, 750x750px
Hey /fit/

Rugby player from the states here trying to start programming a good preseason conditioning plan for this summer.

Right now I'm just running mad cow but starting in June/July I need to get cardio way up.

6'4'' 215lbs I sucked a lot of wind last season and lost rucks because of it I want to be in peak condition by this season.

Thanks boys
>>
Look into HIIT programs and incorporate Rugby-specific drills/running into it. The sprinting will be the biggest part, but adding more variety to it too will be more fun and keep you interested. I'm not super familiar with rugby or any drills that might be associated with it, so I'll leave that up to you.

It'll also better serve you than just jogging everyday for X amount of minutes because of how explosive rugby can be.
>>
Just run bro. Read Ritchie McCaw's book, he swears by it and even after retirement he would still be one of the fittest players in the game. If it's turnovers you want then run.
I agree with >>35050155, add some HIIT and rugby specific drills but running should be at the core of it all. Every day.
>>
>>35050106
OP what position do you play ? This changes a lot what you should aiming for, but I reckon you know that
>>
>>35050106
Sprints for fixed distance with timed rest did me the world of good. Sprint 22, walk back rest 2 mins and work on adding sets and lowering rest times. Though as a basic rule if you can't run for an hour at a steady pace try sorting that first.
>>
>you will never fly first class with mr gilbert

why live?
>>
>>35050106
>Rugby player from the states
Who cares?
>>
>>35051714
$10 says he plays 2nd row
>>
This seems like a good thread for me to ask in instead of making another:

How should a complete rugby noob prepare to play rugby? My school in the U.S. has a team that I want to join just to make friends and help keep me active, but I've never played or even done a team sport before so I'm at a loss. I'm already lifting on an upper lower split to get stronger (bench: 180 lbs, squat: 225, RDLs: 175). I've also started the couch to 5k thing to get my cardio up, and after reading this thread I'm gonna start doing sprints again. What else should I do to prepare?
>>
>>35054181
>What else should I do to prepare?

preparing mentally is pretty important too. hitting the shit out of tackling bags on training doesn't really prep you for the real thing. have you ever done any sparring, or anything involving physical contact?

at the start of a game (or a full-contact session in training) get yourself psyched up and mentally prepared for that first hit, after that the adrenaline kicks in and you're good to go.

focus on your technique as well. being able to tackle well, knowing how to hit a ruck, scrum, etc, are all more important than your size or stamina as a beginner.
>>
>>35054275
>hitting the shit out of tackling bags
Is this how you Amerifats prep? Ffs

>>35054181
Some of the kicking skills like chipping are useful and passing
>>
>>35054302

i'm not american

>Some of the kicking skills like chipping are useful and passing

kickings skills are beyond useless for a noob as he's not likely to be playing any position that requires them anytime soon.
>>
>>35054339
And he never will with that attitude!

What the hell man. What are you even talking about?
>>
>>35054367

dear lord, the guy says he never even played a team sport before, and you'd have him practicing chip kicks? tackling/breakdown/passing are the things he should be focusing on, not kicking.
>>
>>35050106
Skipping is a great way to build explosive endurance really quickly.
>>
>>35054623
>the guy says he never even played a team sport before, and you'd have him practicing chip kicks?
It's something he can practice on his own while also developing runninwithaball and other ball handling skills. Even if he never gets to the stage of catching it again he'll be better at getting the ball away should he have to.

I also said passing but only because I imagine Amerifats find the concept of not passing forward strange. There is a sort of knack to it but it's really a complicated skill.

There's really only so many skills that you don't need someone else for here, the ones that do need someone else will be covered in his main practice.
>>
>>35054691
>it's really a complicated skill.
Not really a complicated skill even

>>35054657
Skipping is also fun
>>
File: 1390710969843.jpg (126KB, 452x308px) Image search: [Google]
1390710969843.jpg
126KB, 452x308px
I played rugby for a few years in college. It was fun.

I stopped playing because the team was apathetic as fuck and we would always play clubs that were at least twice as numerous and would easily outrank us if there was some sort of division ranking. It wasn't a typical season if we didn't lose every single game.
>>
>>35054181

Most of the skills stuff will be covered at practice. Endurance running is crucial. There are very few breakdowns in rugby. Judging by your numbers, you're not a big guy, and you'll probably end up in the backs.

The most important skill you could possibly learn is how to keep the ball going into contact.

It is incredibly important that when you're tackled, your team should maintain possession. Learn how to take the ball to ground without losing it. Learn to not throw the fucking ball away in some hail mary bullshit right before you're tackled.

The only reason I was ever valuable on the pitch was because I never EVER lost the ball going into contact. No funny fancy bullshit. Just hold the ball, make the tackler suffer for laying hands on you, go to ground, present the ball to your lads, and cover your head.

And for Christ sake learn how to catch the ball at a good speed, and learn how to setup for depth while on offense.
>>
File: RICH PIANO.png (197KB, 374x484px) Image search: [Google]
RICH PIANO.png
197KB, 374x484px
GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG

4 SCOOPS BABY

CMON, CMMMMOOONNNNN
>>
>>35054275
>have you ever done any sparring, or anything involving physical contact?

I got in a lot of fights when I was younger and worked as a bouncer at a club for a year in which I took quite a few knocks, but no real sparring. The thought of getting tackled during a game doesn't bother me, as I've had it done by people actually intending to harm me afterwards. I don't even know what those words you used at the end were so I'll start looking up rugby terms to start.

>>35054747
That's all good stuff, thanks man. Should I just wait for them to show me proper thrown and catching stuff or should I start trying to get that on my own? I have no problem with being a bench warmer, you gotta start somewhere after all. And no I'm not a big guy, but I've always worked physical jobs so I'm hoping that kind of endurance carries through to in game.
>>
>>35055034
>The thought of getting tackled during a game doesn't bother me
Good, it's not an issue. Unless someone is being a massive faggot and playing dangerously. Even worse if the ref ignores it because alma mater or nepotism or w/e.

If everyone is playing as they should tho it's no big deal. The other way around is a bit weird at first but just don't be malicious and do something to hurt them and you'll be alright. Most of the time you probs won't be getting tackled anyway either.
>>
>>35050175
Which book, "The Real McCaw" or "The Open Side"?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.