[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 1g/lb Protein Meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Has there ever been a single study to suggest that the 1g per lb of bodyweight meme is anything other than just that, a meme? I am familiar with several well known and respected people in the fitness world saying exactly the opposite is true, namely Ellington Darden PhD and former Mr. Olympia competitor Mike Mentzer, both of whom asserted you only need or can use .33g/lb of bodyweight, natty or not.

The main thing these two had in common is they weren't trying to sell you protein powder. Oh yeah, Mike's student Dorian Yates also agreed that the 1g per lb meme was utter nonsense. He endorsed a .8g/lb rule and was eating around 200g a day at an offseason bodyweight of around 300.
>>
its a meem, but lifters think protein = muscles, therefore more protein equals more muscles.
>>
You can add tom plattz to your list of low protein diet people.

Ive been eating ~100g at around 220 pounds. I noticed a lot less trips to the bathroom. Rarely gassy. Overall feel better.
>>
File: TomPlatz2.jpg (19KB, 315x450px) Image search: [Google]
TomPlatz2.jpg
19KB, 315x450px
>>34959381
Ah, yes. I knew that too. Yeah, he dieted on like 50-80g of protein a day, if I'm not mistaken. Also, he ate a high carb diet year round. None of this keto meme idiocy.
>>
>>34959407

At the end of the day you just have to experienent on yourself. The research is a great guideline but you gotta figure out yourself whats best for you. Dont forget we are all unique to a certain extent. Maybe a high protein diet is absolutely necessary for some people naturally yet for others its not that important.

Personally i slowly adjusted my protein intake throughout the years, slowly dropping it over time and my progress is fine.
>>
>>34959319
It's 0.82g per pound of lean body mass (actually less, that figure is just twice-corrected on the side of caution cause we can't estimate accurately) and yes there are studies. No, I cba to look them up
>>
>>34959319
I eat 220g per day just because I like the food I eat. I probably won't gain any more muscle than If I only ate 120g, but I don't care.
>>
File: 1447624561015.jpg (110KB, 688x739px) Image search: [Google]
1447624561015.jpg
110KB, 688x739px
>>34959553
Yeah, but too much protein can complicate things, especially if you are already genetically predisposed to kidney stones.
>>
>>34960583
good night, Sleepy Rousey
>>
>>34959319
1g per lean kg is the correct number. Tards can't into SI so they think it's per lb and ignore the lean mass part
>>
>>34960583
>>
>>34959407
>implying anyone on roids has to care about their diet
>>
>>34960583
Good night sweet pupper
>>
>>34959319
Who cares? Protein has use beyond building muscles.
>>
>>34959319
there was a study where between 0.8g per kg and 2g per kg there was no noticable difference in muscle size changes. Didn't account for recovery aspect though.

I'm just a guy on the internet though
>>
>>34960583
Good night, sleepy Ronda
>>
>>34960583
why not good night sleepy ronda? wtf is drowsy rousey
>>
>>34960583
>>
>>34960583

>>34960974
The original one said that, iirc. Then someone pointed out that drowsy rhymes with rousey. How very, very clever.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.