[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cardio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

File: 1357163866341.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1357163866341.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
Let's talk about cardio, fit. Because the heart is a muscle and we need to train it too.

What's your pick of choice? LISS, HIIT? I'm currently trying to find a good HIIT routine to do 3x/week while doing strenght/compound lifts 3x/week too. Currently google searchs just give me the classic "GET RIPPED FAST WITH SHITPAIDROUTINE" and I can't seem to find something like couch to 5k but HIIT version.

Does anyone have any input? Let's talk cardio. Random pic
>>
I run two miles and do 35mins on the elliptical, and 8 down and backs in the pool. I eat lots of whole grains (Cheerios, oats, etc). I'm an old guy and I'm terrified of heart disease. I also lift some. I do this six days a week.
>>
I hop on my treadmill and throw on my ipod, random shuffle. I fast walk 4mph to slow songs, jog 6-6.5mph on uptempo songs and run 9.5-10mph on bangers. I try to do this for 30-40 minutes or until I hit a few miles

Works for me
>>
>>34925186

damn that's pretty good man. how old?

I'm 21 and I have a little heart failure wich later on could develop on something worse, between this and the thread from that anon a couple of days ago that had a stroke I feel like I need to up my cardio level
>>
>>34925237
37. I was morbidly obese for 30 years until I cleaned up my act last year. Imagining my wife without a husband did it for me. Cardio is fun. I ran a mile for the first time last month. First time in my life actually.
>>
I'm on a cut and my cardio routine has been HIIT on the treadmill.

3.5 minutes of fast walking with heartbeat at 65 - 70%, followed by 1.5 min of sprinting with heartbeat around 85-90%. Repeat for 40 minutes with a 5 minute cooldown at the end. I do this every other day. If I were trying to build more muscle I'd probably only do 20 minutes rather than 40.
>>
From what I've read it's mostly made up routines, like sprint a min, rest 3, sprint a min, rest 3, sprint a min, rest 3 and that till exaustion. Hope it works

>>34925259

hey good for you, keep at it
>>
Was a fatty at the beginning of this year, changed my eating habits drastically and did cardio almost every day. Lost 100lbs. I just ran whenever I felt like it and for as long as I wanted. No certain routine other than making sure I did it every day or two. Didn't start lifting until about a month ago, making decent noob gains but cardio is still the exercise I have to thank for my non-shit body
>>
>>34925237
A stroke is in your brain...
>>
>>34925390

yeah you're right. I don't speak enligsh so shit happens I guess. I looked it up and I think I was looking for "cardiac arrest"
>>
>>34925113
>>
>>34925113

Barbell complex with a bar

press 15 reps
row 15 reps
deadlift/clean 15 reps
squat 15 reps

30 seconds to a minute rest, then repeat 2-3 times 2-3x a week.
>>
File: ad.jpg (155KB, 956x856px) Image search: [Google]
ad.jpg
155KB, 956x856px
>>34925421
>>
>>34925113
I wanna use the punching bag at my gym for cardio but I have literally no experience in fighting and don't even know how to punch. Do any of you anons use the bag for cardio? Any tips?
>>
>>34925423
30 secs rest between exercises or do one after the other with no break until you get all the way through?

Also, you must be swapping weights around, right? I mean ohp I could probably do 95lbs 15 times but deads would way way too easy at that weight.
>>
>>34925532

no break in between exercises, mix this with litt
>>
>>34925532

just the bar dummy
>>
>>34925263
Is my rest time too long with this routine? I'm trying to maximize the time I spend at ~70% heart rate in order to burn more fat. Is this still going to be effective?
>>
i do about 20mins on the bike steady just to warmup, then hit rowing machine and do some HIT, 30/30rest.
then i usually try to go swimming after that.
and i try to alternate between breast stroke and front crawl. Do this for about 45mins or until i am fucked lel
>>
>>34925630
That would be way too easy and, no, I'm not that strong. Seriously, I don't think I would even be winded after the first cycle.
>>
>>34925715
I love to go fucking swimming. I got into it when I first started lifting because it helped with DOMS. Now I swim every time I'm in there. I gotta take a shower anyway, so why not?
>>
File: trail-brava-20.jpg (128KB, 850x520px) Image search: [Google]
trail-brava-20.jpg
128KB, 850x520px
I got on a thirty minute run 4-5 times a week. I don't get super into running science or track my runs or anything, I just keep it simple, because frankly running makes you feel great.

Lifting feels good as well in it's own way, but if I don't run for a couple days I feel like total garbage. Just getting your heart rate up for thirty minutes can make a world of difference in making you feel fresh and good.

Plus it's peaceful as fuck if you have nice places to run.
>>
File: running-routine.jpg (596KB, 2576x3200px) Image search: [Google]
running-routine.jpg
596KB, 2576x3200px
Posting couch to 5k infographic for anyone to reference.
>>
personally I hate cardio, so I make circuits with decent weight.

desu i stole this from some t-nation article years ago, but I just modified it.

pick a movement: deadlift, squat, OHP, bench.

break the movement into multiple parts.

e.g. deadlift: deficit deadlift, rack pull, and conventional.

add a lighter accessory: e.g. dumbbell SLDL.

add a plyometric movement: e.g. vertical jump from sitting.

so a circuit would be.

deficit dead lift x5 -> conventional dead lift x3-5 -> DB SLDL x5 -> vertical jump from sitting x10

goes from relatively most taxing -> moderately taxing -> taxing -> fairly relaxed.

personally I do this circuit w/ around about 4 plates, the idea being its heavy but not super heavy, and that the difficulty scales down to match your levels of fatigue.

rest for a minute, do it 3-5 more times.

this is proper exhausting, like laying on your back sputtering and sucking air exhausting if you properly do it.
>>
I do HIIT on rest days and sometimes after lifting sessions.
>>
Anyone got imput in HIIT interfering with squatting and DL progressions?
>>
File: 1447445685022.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1447445685022.gif
2MB, 640x360px
post your resting heart BPM.
mine is 53, cardio 4-5 times a week a mixture of hiit and long distance running.

>also took blood pressure yesterday and is normal range.
>tfw I know I have a healthy heart
>>
>>34925993
Holy fuck how is he not dead yet.
>>
>>34925113
Most of the cardio gains aren't so much in the heart muscle as much as the vasculature, and just losing weight
>>
>tfw can't finish a workout with the necessary intensity because gassed

yes, cardio is important even in the winter.
>>
>>34925993
76-78. is this good?
>>
>>34926086

depends, if you're under 60 then you should probably drop that thing to the low high 50s low 60s.
>>
>>34926100

under 60 years old*
>>
>>34925993
65 bpm
i dont even do cardio so lowering it should be a breeze
>>
>>34925993
64bpm
I do cardio SOMETIMES. I lift at least 4 times a week. I do cardio maybe once or twice per week, sometimes 10 minutes of stairs or elliptical before lifting.

my blood pressure is also extremely normal
>>
>>34926086
depends on alot of things, your gender , hight and age.
>>
>>34926129
>>34926136

keep in mind if your late teens/early 20s you're going to have a good HR almost by default, same with BP.

if you wanna be very 'young and fit' you should probably be in the low 50s high 40s HR wise, with a systolic of < 120
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 640x749px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 640x749px
HIIT is meme cardio for people that cant jog/run at a brisk pace for more than 30 mins. Pic related...my first ever half marathon. Was fun dusting all these normies who think theyre so fit...this event being the one instance of physical exertion they do all year.
>>
>>34926086
>>34926129
>>34926136

consider buying a defibrillator, you know...
just incase.
>>
>>34925113
LISS.

20 minutes to an hour every morning, fasted, at a pace where you can hold a conversation, but barely.
>>
File: 124657572345661215.png (275KB, 460x370px) Image search: [Google]
124657572345661215.png
275KB, 460x370px
>>34925993
64bpm
>tfw done from 90bpm in high school
If I could go back in time, I would go and deliver the biggest damn kick I could to his nuts. Not like I was using them for much anyway.
>>
Right now I'm focusing on my personal goal of being able to maintain a steady running pace for 30 minutes. It's hard going, because I'm heavy, I bike everywhere, and lift so regularly. I didn't realize how out of condition my legs below the knees were for just running until I took a long walk around with some friends while we were camping.
I couldn't even do the first exercise of couch to 5k. It's funny, back in high school if I tried to run it'd be stitches in my side and my heart pounding out of my chest that'd stop me. Now I have endurance to spare, but my feet and shins feel like they're going to shatter after just a minute of running.
So that's sort of moderate intensity steady state.

I used to do martial arts three times a week, but my kung fu school closed, so now I'm looking around for another martial arts school near me. So many Brazilian Jiu Jitsu places around here. One's close enough that I might start going and do my running training on the way home.

I also keep meaning to take up swimming and climbing (my gym has a pool and a climbing wall) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe once I hit my running goal.
>>
>>34926159
That seems kind of extreme. I'd say just "in the 50s" for any teen/twenties person that does cardio at all, high 40s for somebody that age that does significant endurance training.
>>
>>34926173
why fasted?
>let's go running with no energy.
>I'm sure I'll be fine
>I won't get exhausted and my posture will be good.
>what's that ? snap city ? I've never heard of the place.
>>
>>34926161
>meme cardio

It's good for burning fat and improving cardiovascular health, but it won't make you a marathon runner.
>>
>>34926209

i was in the 50's very overweight and doing no cardio at all from 20-23.

if you consider yourself fit and do a moderate amount of cardio you should be lower.
>>
>>34925532
No, a barbell complex is often (but not always) done without putting the bar down. It's similar to circuit training. Despite the fact that it's done with a bar, it's more like a conditioning exercise than a strength building exercise.
>>
File: 1447600702270.png (211KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447600702270.png
211KB, 600x800px
Every other day I do two hours at medium to heavy resistance on a stationary cycle.
In doing so, my heart rate goes up to about 178 and then stays there for the entirety of the workout
I refuse to die to the congenital heart disease that's killed most of my family before age 50
I'm gonna be tapering down on the cardio and starting to lift within the month now that I'm not fat anymore
>>
2.5 hours walking everyday split up into three walks. Three times a week I additionally run for 30 min. Only doing this so I can cut and still eat like a king desu
>>
>>34925993
58, non lifter.
I'm 23yo, 150lbs.
I go to the swimming pool for an hour twice a week and go for a jog 2 or 3 times a week.
I still feel like I really suck at cardio stuff though.
>>
>>34926161
they did research on HIIT, not gonna look it up now but

it's extremely effective for trained individuals, less for untrained ones
>>
>>34926163
lel
>>
>>34926231
That's significantly lower than most non-athletes. I'd say it's more of an interesting anecdote rather than something to actually give advice on.

The American Heart Society says that because of natural variation in heart rates, 40-60 is appropriate for a healthy athlete.
>>
So today I ran 3 miles without stopping. It wasn't very fast, but I had momentum.
The thing is, I haven't ran in at least a month, and before that 1 mile was a struggle. Why was it so painless this time? I feel great and am probably going to go run again tomorrow. Does the scenery matter a lot? I used to run on a track and now I'm running along the perimeter of my uni, nice lake and all.
>>
>>34926409
a big part of running is pushing past our comfort zone.
If you have been lifting for a while you probably find it easier than a normie going for his first run
>>
>>34926543
for me it's pacing myself and maintaining a reasonably low speed. I fucking love to sprint. coz that's intense like lifting, but doesn't last too long.
>>
What are cardiobros' tips for when a dog decides to chase you when running / bicycling ?
You obviously can't outrun it. However, the beast gets tired after 500m
Maybe a gritty fight to test your arm gains?
Or maybe dog cookies?
>>
>>34925113
From memory, Couch to 5k IS HIIT.

For myself, I do karate. For fighting application, it's fucking shit, but the fact it's basically yoga without the hippie crap does help. I'm thinking of taking up Muay Thai, though. I'm also starting Couch to 5k myself tomorrow, and as soon as I'm done, I'm going to work on a 10k program. Goal is to be able to run 5 k's in 3 months (without stopping, and with decent times) and able to do a 10 k run without passing out or walking the whole way.
>>
>>34925341
Not OP, but that's how I started too, man. Did it for two yeas, and randomly people stopped calling me fat. Also, I could outpace half the people calling me fat. Starting lifting after cardio is awesome, too, since you have some conditioning, and you don't feel like totally passing out after every workout.
>>
>>34926321
>walking
>burning calories
pick one
>>
Cyclist only, don't lift which makes this board irrelevant to me most of the time.

>resting HR in the 40's
>can run decently, those muscles aren't trained very well though
>tfw i'm written off for being so skinny
>150, 6'1', can climb like a demon (cycling)
>at least my legs have great definition
>>
>>34927111
lol a cyclet
>>
>>34927136
Yeah I know, I put it upon myself. I'm really "good at it" so I'm sticking to it. It's a lot of fun to go fast and suffer.
>>
>>34925993
>>34926161

Been doing cardio for the last 2 months, every other day, rotating jogging and HIIT. These are on my rest days from lifting.
On my jog days, I usually run at 8 mph for 40 minutes, and on HIIT days, I sprint at 14 mph for 1 minute, then jog at 6 mph for 2 minutes, for 20 minutes in total.

So far, my RHR has dropped from 70 to 55, and I remember it being upper 80s in middle school, when I was a lazy WoW nerd who only ate cheetos and poptarts. Now I can run 5 miles pretty easily, thank you /fit/.
>>
>>34926968
Agreed. My only problem is my love handles are sticking to me like glue and I have just a bit of loose skin on my stomach. I don't think I'll ever fill out enough muscle for it to be normal again
>>
Bumping for Monday morning cardio plans. Mine are posted earlier: 2 miles on the treadmill, 35 minutes on the elliptical, and eight down and backs in the pool. What are y'all doing this morning?
>>
Go running and do something like c25k. HIIT is seriously HARD, and unless you can comfortably run for one hour you shouldn't have any interest in doing it.
>>
>>34925263
>>34925695
classic HIIT is more like 7 minutes total max with for example 30 s sprint to 20 s going easy for bout 6-8 sets going so rough at it that you did wrong if you didnt barf
>>
>>34926867
dogs chase me all the fucking time.
I Normaly slow down to a walk or hold my ground .

they always seem to back off and get scared once I stop

I don't think they are violent they just get excited about you moving fast.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.