[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Posted a few weeks ago about hitting the gym. Tonight I will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: ayy.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Posted a few weeks ago about hitting the gym.

Tonight I will be going, any tips or anything?
I think i'm just gonna try lifting some weights... I probably can't fuck those up and look like an autistic mother fucker right?

It is 10:30 pm, I am trying to go when there is no people there will it be busy?
>>
Start small, figure out your maximums, make sure you use the safeties. Ain't no one gonna like cleaning up a corpse.
>>
>>34895977
how do i use safeties?

I really don't want to work out in front of a bunch of people, i'm pretty chubby/babyfaced and just trying to better myself

i really have no idea what i'll be doing, I think i understand bench pressing and curls but that is about it
>>
>>34896000
If you're unsure about form just look up the exercises on bodybuilding.com or youtube so you don't snap your shit.

For your first session you could always ask the staff to show you the ropes. There shouldn't be too many people there after 10:30pm.
>>
>>34896016
holy shit i'm looking at weight lifting forms theres so fucking many

where do i start
>>
>>34896058
also i don't know why but i'm incredibly nervous to go the gym, i keep feeling like i am going to be the stupidest looking motherfucker there, i'm cringeing at myself already
>>
lift weights and put them back down

ࠆࠄࠑ senpai
>>
>>34896058
>>34896077
Just look up a basic newbie routine. If you're not sure then do your research tonight and go tomorrow.
>>
>>34896093
sounds good, bout to head out, mercy pls veteran gymgoers if you see me about to kill myself because of bad form feel free to say something.

I will be discreetly checking in on this thread when I get there, please keep the tips coming.
>>
>>34896093

this tʙH ꜰᴀm
>>
>>34896127

oh shit nigger wait I was too focused on trying to get past the tʙH ꜰᴀm filter to give actual advice, don't leave yet

real talk let me write this out
>>
>>34896058
Hey senpai. Google the name of the exercise. Click the bodybuilding.com link, read the instructions and watch the video. If it's your first time in the gym, work on these basic exercises: Bodyweight Squats (until you know what you're doing), Overhead Press, Bench Press, Dumbbell Rows. As you progress, add in Dips, pull ups, start squatting with a bar, learn how to Deadlift. If you see someone doing something that looks productive, ask them what it's called, then go home and research form.

Oh and you can do some curls if you feel like it. I bet you probably will. Good luck, and READ THE STICKY.
>>
>>34896140
ok, thanks m8

over the past 3 weeks i've almost completely cut out soda, been eating a lot less (usually just my free sandwhich at work, and like twice a week i will grab fast food since i'm broke and can't cook for shit)

i feel like it is time to take this seriously, with all the bullshit I do in my free time I feel like if I actually spent it bettering myself I could have such a better life. I just need to get started
>>
>>34896153
thanks senpai i think i will start with bench press and rows tonight? maybe ride a bike or somethin i can't possibly fuck up huehue
>>
desu senpai if I were completely new to the gym and it was my first I would try some of these:
>10 minute walking warm up on a treadmill
Dumbell stuff
>3 x 8 dumbell bench with light weights
>3 x 8 seated dumbell curls with light weights
>3 x 8 one arm dumbell row with light weights
Cable stuff
>3 x 5 lat pulldown
>3 x 5 cable row
Then once you get over your nerves you could look into deadlifts, squats, bench press, and reading the sticky.
>>
>>34896127
>>34896177

Here's how this shit works, no one ever tells you how to actually start lifting weights, they just assume its common knowledge

You don't lift to your max on your first go, tonight find your limit - start of with like 5s or some easy shit for bench and only add more if its wayyy too easy. Complete the lifts and then next workout add 5 more and keep doing that until you reach a point where you can't add 5 after each workout - that's the weight you're starting with and it takes a few workouts to find it.

Going in and lifting as much as you can will fuck you up and make you stall from the get go - you need to progress to your starting weight, not just put on a shit tonne of weight and try to complete the sets based on how much you think you can lift.

Second, for your first few weeks fuck weight, just focus as much as humanly possible on your form - make videos and post them here, chances are it'll be the only fit related thread on the entire shithole of a board

Third, full rom (range of motion) is incredibly important, especially if you're on the taller side

Fourth, don't forget to tip the front desk
>>
>>34896199
ok thanks

i have looked over the stikcy many times it is just way too much info for me to process

>>34896207
i really am not trying to involve any of the employees there since i'm an awkward motherfucker in situations where someone in helping me out. i'm just trying to do my own thing and hope nobody watches me do it
>>
>>34896207

And as far as actual routines, just go with a starting routine like 5x5 or SS - faggots here will tell you go start with a bro split or some other shit because its faster and they're right, if you want to look like a twink who stalls and has shti form

Start by developing a good base using the main compound lifts, then cut, then go on a bro split - it takes longer and its harder but its more consistent and that's whats important.

>>34896225

doesn't matter kiddo, unless you want to draw attention on yourself and be hated you're going to have to tip the frontdesk; it's just how it works, it's more symbolic than anything
>>
>>34896237
i always tip, didn't know it was etiquette to tip at a gym

do i tip on leaving or when i get there, so that they are more inclined to help me out if they see me about to do something disasterous?
>>
>>34896225

Just remember that there's no secret to it, don't over complicate it - if you go to the gym three times a week and do any routine in the world you're going to see results so don't get too caught up on the details and don't make a big deal out of it, just go in there and lift some fucking weights its not rocket science

>>34896251

I'm fucking with you don't actually tip, its a joke on this board
>>
ok guys i am heading out now hopefully there is very few people there or i might just turn 360 and walk away :^)

bench press curls and a bike ride for today i think since those are pretty easy and i won't have to learn any new forms or anything

i will be discreetly monitoring this thread from my phone when i get there so please keep the tips coming, i also might post for some more advice if you guys could help me out when i get there.

thanks again guys, you are 99.9% of my motivation to go through with this, i love you
>>
File: 40kmotivation10.jpg (227KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
40kmotivation10.jpg
227KB, 500x750px
>>34895951
do it faggot
>>
>>34896177
Dude, learn to cook. Worth it.
>>
>>34896310
I'm here its pretty crowded
>>
>>34896251
damn anon he's joking, dont be such a sperg relax
>>
So far really bad no idea what I'm doing lots of people here pretty cringey
>>
>>34896504

Who gives a shit, stop caring what people think everyone is focusing on their workouts just do your thing
>>
>>34896441

As someone who has been going to the gym for many years and having gone from total noob to decent size (5'7" manlet @ 185/10%), I can promise you that no one there is going to be watching you or looking at you. If you have questions anyone who looks like they have lifted a few times will be glad to help you (unless they are total asshats and you shouldn't care about them because chances are they get raped by black dudes on a nightly basis).

Just have fun with it, don't worry about everyone else. Turn your headphones on full blast and just zone out like everyone else. :)
>>
>>34896536
Following on from this, if anyone does pay a lot of attention to you in the gym, it means one of two things:
>You're lifting heavy as fuck and are miring. Usually reserved for the top 5-10% of gym goers.
>You're doing something they think is wrong. If it's dangerous, they'll try to intervene.

Say someone sees you bench 40kg and you're struggling like a motherfucker, muscles shaking and everything. Then they see you load up another 20kg plate on each side (if you see someone say they bench X plates, this is what it means. X lots of 20kg plates on each side of the bar), then they'll step in.

Equally, it might be just a tip to correct your form and prevent injury as you go heavier on the weights. A guy stepped in and corrected my squat form a couple of weeks back. I had a quick chat with him about the exercise and accessory lifts, he gave me some recommendations and that was that.

Biggest advice I can give? Enjoy it, broenheim. Don't lift because you have to, lift because you want to. Get some good, aggressive music and get at it.
>>
Ok guys getting into it sweating hard did some hacks? On the machine thing did some benches and now working on hammer strength a abdominal crunch
>>
Ok guys breathing hard legs feel like jello only worked out for maybe 30 mins feel like I could went longer but didn't wanna push myself. Pretty much stuck to the machines with instructions. Was a pretty good experience once I got into it.

But I guess she wasn't supposed to let me in since it was past 9 and you couldn't get in past 9 with just the 3 day trial. Should I man up and just get a membership? I refuse to come during peak hours
>>
Pls respond

Should I go again tomorrow or wait a day?

Also about how long should I try to work out for

Thanks for the help guys you might have started a massive change for me, I am 6'1 230 lbs and after today I am determined to shed this pathetic baby fat
>>
>>34896902
Wait a day. You're just starting out so it is important to allow your body some rest and adjustment. I can't speak for anyone else but I try to keep my workout sessions between 45 minutes to an hour.
>>
Also will I be ok just using the easy instruct able weight machines so I don't really have to learn forms at least for a little bit? Or will this not be as effective gains as squats etc
>>
>>34896914
Thanks

I think I will sign up at least for a month so I feel obligated to go if I make enough in tips tomorrow (delivery fag)
>>
>>34896918

You have to know form for machines, it's just easier to not break yourself. Get the adjustments right for you body and write them down. And the weight settings. Then learn proper cadence.

This stuff isn't hard at all, but it does take a little knowledge to not waste so much time.
Keep at it, and read a lot.
>>
>>34895951
these are the best diary entries i have ever read.

top job op. your faggotry is immense and overwhelming.

how about you put in effort and work at the gym instead. maybe some gains will come of it.
>>
>>34896918
Machines are trash. Just use freeweights. Watch videos on form, look at yourself in the mirror and youll know when you do shit wrong by instinct.
I went to free weight section my first day as a skelly, I did retarded shit like squats in smith machine, benched in the opposite direction while some huge guy looked at me with pity, used some dumbass meme program instead of just doing SL and so on. Just do stuff, rewatch form videos and everything is gonna fit in perfect by itself. Dont be so autistic.
>>
OP thanks for doing this thread I'm in a very similar position
>>
>>34896950
I know

>>34896971
OK I will slowly learn them maybe 1 a day or something, thanks

I will just wean myself off machines
>>34896991
Yeah man let's be bad together
>>
>>34896944
Yeah they have little pictures and some text for dipshit fat ducks like me :^)

I think I was doing them right
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.