[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /fit/ think about calisthenics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: profile.png (150KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
profile.png
150KB, 300x250px
What does /fit/ think about calisthenics?
>>
>>34881269
Something that skellies and poor people do because they either can't lift much weight but can do a lot of pullups, or they're broke.
>>
It's actually a fantastic and simple way to workout.
If done correctly and with good form and you progress in reps, speed, and even more difficult variations you'll gain unbelievable levels of athleticism.
If you simply want to stay in shape, 20 minutes of daily simple calisthenics stretching and some jogging are more then enough and can be done anywhere at any time.
>>
>>34881269
Something that permabulking autists hate because it's much more difficult to do an iron cross than work up to a 4pl8 deadlift. Also they're jelly of shredded aesthetics.
Recommend reading Overcoming Gravity.
>>
>>34881360
this
also a very good way to assist your lifting becasue why not do both?
>>
>>34881269
It is great up to a point.

Sadly, after that point it is a lot of specificity and less gains.

Not that /fit would even approach the critical point, of any form of training, apart from a few select outliers.

It also lacks lower body training options. Sure single leg squats (pistol or shrimp) are good for balance and require more strength than any curlbro has.... But unless you want to do a million reps, or start charging people for rides on the magical shrimp squat machine, progression hits a hard wall pretty fast.
>>
>>34881269
You won't look like that from doing them
But they're great, up to a point, and later if you modify them a bit
But still for building muscle mass and strength, gym is superior
>>
reddit: the pastime
>>
>>34881370
lmao
>>
>>34881370
What?
I personally love calisthenics (and gymnastics), but you can't compare different things.
>>
File: 1440089035539.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1440089035539.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>34881400
>start charging people for rides on the magical shrimp squat machine
>>
>>34881400
>Sure single leg squats (pistol or shrimp) are good
My knees hurt for almost a year after I started doing these. Had pretty good form too.
>>
>>34881671
you have bad genetics then
>>
>>34881936
pistol squats put unnecessary force on the knee joint and are a completely inferior exercise to barbell squats. Taller people in particular should completely avoid them
>>
>>34881975
they put exactly as much force as a regular bb squat just put your ass backward
but yah depending on your goals bb squats are better, doing unilateral works is pretty good though
>>
>>34881586
>can't compare two different things
I take it it's your first time 'round these parts? come back after you finished shitposting 101
>>
>>34881370
what about people that want to DL 4pl8 and also do an iron cross? Is that OK? Or do I have to pick being either a "PERMABULKING AUTIST" or "CALISTHENICS DYEL"????
>>
>>34882090
How tall are you? No one over 5'9 has ever done an iron cross iirc. You also want relatively small legs so probably not
>>
>>34882090
ofc not
in fact not trying to be both is the most retarded
train your main compounds and add calisthenics as well
desu you'll most likely never be able to do an iron cross unless you train gymnastics for years exclusively bt you can try and you'll still be able to do nice tricks
>>
File: Victorian.jpg (9KB, 428x332px) Image search: [Google]
Victorian.jpg
9KB, 428x332px
>>34881269

It's shit unless you do foundation. Don't trust fitness jewtubers for the most part, none of them can do a Victorian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqh3gSwo4Wk
>>
What do you think about actually making progress?
>>
>>34882144

You can do it, just have to be smarted and more planned out then the average gym rat.
>>
>>34882204
For less results and chicken legs
>>
>>34881269
it's shit when it's raining
>>
>>34882119
This guy got it, but he's pretty light considering his height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9WO6AERjDk
>>
calisthenics? body weight exercises?
yeah, i do them alot, pull ups/chin ups, dips, pushups, frog leaps, burpees.
great exercises to add to your weighttraining routine.

but just using your body?
no, dont limit yourself.
>>
>>34882332
I doubt it fits into heres goals of being able do an iron cross at the expense of strength and looks.
>>
File: tyson edwardsss.png (1MB, 1137x845px) Image search: [Google]
tyson edwardsss.png
1MB, 1137x845px
>>34882208

lel,
>>
File: 1443197420113.jpg (23KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
1443197420113.jpg
23KB, 364x364px
>>34882341
Is this pasta? cause u sound like a complete fuckin fag
>>
>>34882375
That guy combines gymnastic strength training and weightlifting.
>>
>>34882390
sure, faglord pasta, you are right
>>
>>34882090
https://youtu.be/0x7cWHaawjM?t=31s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-uAFjXIFU
>>
File: germfags.jpg (162KB, 1000x688px) Image search: [Google]
germfags.jpg
162KB, 1000x688px
Does any1 Have a good calisthelics program?
>>
>>34882394

What's your point? What did you expect me to say pistols and box jumps will get you big legs?
>>
>>34882439
reddit's bwf recommended routine
overcoming gravity book
foundations if you have absurd patience and dedication
>>
>>34882439

/asp/ bodyweight thread.
>>
>>34882439
just make sure you do linear progression to start with, and progressive overload once that runs out.

outside of that, regimen doesn't really matter, as long as it is relatively well-balanced amongst the muscle groups.
>>
>>34882433

5'12"

lel
>>
>>34882222
>not wanting those potential grip gains when trying to not slip off the bar
>>
>>34882137
Nearly nobody can do a proper victorian you autist. Most people are still unsure whether a true unpiked straight arm victorian is possible.
>>
>>34881269
pretty chit. that said, if you can't do 10 pullups you're either weak or fat
>>
>>34881269
Personally I love it, I really enjoy the ability to move my own body rather than move weights around myself, which is personal preference. I like the emphasis on mobility and skill progressions rather than weight increases, that just appeals to me more, and I like the way that I can do almost everything with just the bar I set up in the backyard and my rings.
>>
>>34881269
>I have crippling insecurity, but I'm too poor to afford a gym membership
>>
File: holy.jpg (8KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
holy.jpg
8KB, 180x180px
>>34883394

That's why i use it as an example, are you a gymnast anon?
>>
>>34883462
Nah mate, I'm just an enthusiast for fitness and stuff. I'm drawn towards calisthenics/parkour/tricking more-so than PL/Oly/strongman. I incorporate weights to a degree too, mostly for legs.
>>
File: 90s_kids.gif (1000KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
90s_kids.gif
1000KB, 400x300px
I do upper/lower workouts with my big three being weighted dips, chins, and one legged squats.

I've been seeing some great gains as well as good weight progression. I think weighted calisthenics can be a great combo if done right.

To each their own. Everyone's got different goals
>>
>>34883505

right on bro, see you around asp and owg.
>>
Calisthenics is just gymnastics for people without the determination to properly train like a gymnast.
>>
>>34882119
>No one over 5'9 has ever done an iron cross iirc
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>34881269
Its for manlet faggots, prob skinny fat too lmao

poster related >>34881370
>>
>>34881360
>unbelievable levels of athleticism

you mean pointless party tricks?
>>
>>34883796
>pointless party tricks
>doing 350 kg deadlifts is so useful
>>
I think calisthenics offer enough resistance to keep really fit without looking like an overcompensating insecure faggot. Just my opinion.
>>
>>34883826
>having a strong grip is not useful
try holding a 350 kg its 200x more hard than human flag faggotry

Also unless you're a manlet you will look like shit
>>
>>34883857
>I think calisthenics offer enough resistance
This is why most jacked actors do calisthenics right??
No, fuck off manlet
>>
>>34883826
>front lever, planche, muscle ups, one arm pushup/chinup, iron cross, pistol squats, handstands etc.. are useful!
>>
>>34883889
>reading comprehension is useful! :^)
>>
I've been doing it for a while since I stopped going to gym two years ago.
I'm not progressing much but I look decent, if not huge. I'd recommend it if you just want to exercise to look fit and not spend money.
The only equipment I have are some rings I made from pipe and car ties.
>>
>>34883871
>>having a strong grip is not useful
It will probably help when you have to grab your gf so she does not run off with a guy who can do cool party tricks.
>>
>>34883921
>>34883871
absolutely ruined
>>
>>34883901
what did i miss lol all you said was >350kg deadlift is so useful
>>
i went from spooky skeleton mode to ottermode with basically just calisthenics

if you just want to look good with your shirt off and be reasonably fit without spending money it's a great alternative to the gym
>>
If I wanted to add bodyweight exercises to my SL routine, when would I do them? Lift days or rest days? If lift day, before or after barbell exercises?

I realize this will slow my lift progress a bit, but I'd like to round out the workout for better overall results.
>>
>>34883986
>what did i miss
the sarcasm, dingus
>>
>>34884067
what do you want t o do?
>>
Thoughts on Ido Portal and his movement philosophy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZCr4xJA9c
>>
>>34881269
Waste of time. Unless the only thing you have is time
>>
>>34884408

He stole all of coach sommers work, and hes a pretensions hippy fuck. That being said the work he stole from sommer and put up for free is useful, but do foundation he's a shit coach.
>>
>>34884604
And foundation has shit programming.
>>
>>34884610

Awwwww do you not have the patience to do all the progressions?
>>
>>34884080
yea i realized that, thats why my response was sarcastic as well..

its ok anon we all make mistakes
>>
>>34884610

Jk yeah it does kind of suck, it's mainly because it's a one size fits all types of individuals, but im sure sommer will get a better idea on programming as time progresses that or his successors will fix this issue.
>>
It's another tool for getting fit.

I don't really understand this purist attitude of only doing one thing and nothing else.

Try it all out, figure out what works best for you and discard the rest.
>>
>>34883796
Geared up fags squatting 500 pounds and having the endurance of an anemic 9 year female ballerina and the lifespan of a housefly is not athleticism. It's faggotry.

Being able to do a one handed close legged pushup, one arm chin or lift a chick off the ground? Shit that impresses people.
Asking them to follow you on your rascal to the gym to show off your 450 deadlift?
Not impressive.

By the way, calisthenics has carryover to every single bit of athleticism you can concieve of.
The average guy who's into heavy calisthenics can outlift a newb lifter.

Go back to dumbfucking over the stupid as fuck sticky and listening to stupid shit like ss and sl.

>>34883871
Can YOU hold 350kg as a natural lifter? Or are you on the iron dick and can barely lift half of that?
>>
>>34885458

Fucking ouch.
>>
How many times you made this thread op?
>>
>>34885331
the smartest post i've seen on this board in... ever

this answer applies to almost every thread I see on here
>>
>>34886580
less than the feels threads that's for sure
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.