[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mental Fitness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

I have been meditating for about 6 months now (40 minutes a day in two 20 minute sessions), and I want to share with you guys that you should start meditating; virtually everyone benefits. This is no longer a placebo, weird thing Asians do. Many top executives, celebrities, people with mental problems, or stressful lives do it, and science has shown it works. I will post a brief 20-30 minute meditation with the aid of a binaural tone to help achieve a deeper state for novices; this is how I did it at the start. I had problems with anxiety, negative rumination, and poor emotional control. Basically, constantly thinking about the past/immediate future, and stress from work, girls, whatever would ruin me. I didn't want to go on drugs, so I chose to start meditating as an experiment. It is important to understand that the immediate effects are stress reduction, the other benefits you will notice over time, like it is with exercise. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. Things I have noticed:
>vastly increased self-awareness
>discerning reality from make-believe caused by over stimulation (things you tell yourself as stories over and over again, which you believe are true)
>greater emotional stability (less angry outbursts, not letting a trivial thing escalate further)
>more empathy (a greater ability to understand from the other person's point of view)
>better decision making (less focused on immediate gratification; more in-tune with what will benefit me in the long-run
>reduced stress; reduced reaction towards things which do not go as I intended.

The meditation will be in the next post.
>>
Relevant to my interests, do go on OP.
>>
File: 1417136192766.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1417136192766.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>29782267

Instructions on this 20-30 minute meditation. This youtube video is a binaural tone. You have to listen to it with good headphones; it works by aiding your brain go into a deeper meditative state.

1.)put on good headphones and play this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5G6mLNfayA
2.) Sit in a comfortable position and close your eyes.
3.) First notice the sounds and noise; both from your environment and the youtube video.
4.) Place your attention to your breathe.
5.) On each breath, look for that brief moment, the b reath gap, from when you are full with air and just before you exhale.
6.)In this moment, there is a momentarily ego death.
7.)Keep doing this, looking for the breath gap.
8.) Thoughts will arise. Let the thoughts come. Try not to react to them. Just let them come and fade away. Return attention to breath.
9.)Attention should increase after 5 minutes. Do not change your breathing, just breathe normally. Increase awareness on breathing, such as the point of where air hits the nostrils, how your shoulders raise slightly as you breathe, how your stomach falls as you exhale.
10.) After 5-10 minutes you should be breathing pretty slow now and relaxed: About 4-5 breathes a minute. Continue paying attention to the breath gap for the full duration of the video.
11.)Once video ends, you should be profoundly relaxed.
12.) Continue for 5-10 more minutes after video ends, and exit.

How do you feel? Happier, relaxed?
>>
>>29782267
I meditate myself. Some mandatory Alan Watts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHAoQGoQic
>>
>>29782346
currently on day 18 headspace (about 10 mins of meditation per day). Had to take a week/two break halfway through though. Haven't noticed that much difference but it definitely has some good effects, especially immediately after meditating.
>>
>>29782267
Thank you OP. I stumble on leddit upon some positive psychology class ( video course ) where they explain motivation and well being with some scientific note which is what I like more than self help mumbo jumbo. It did recommend mediation and I want to start it without going to deep in it. So, this instructions are really helpful anon. I will give it a try. I do have a feeling that sometimes emotions take over me and I go in spiral of bad habits when I am under stress which is often.
>>
i've always been interested in this sort of thing but never actually took the time to sit down and try it, but you've convinced me.
>>
>>29782590
Seconded
Will try starting immediately and keep going the days after
>>
>>29782323

I'm gonna try this today. Always been curious about meditation but usually feel 20-30 minutes of my life is to worth to much seing as I spend 11 hour to and from work each day.
>>
Have been meditation 20 minutes a day for 5 months. I'm less impacted by external sources, thoughts, emotions, insecurities. Easier to be happy, don't care what others think. If I have negative thoughts I just notice them like from a third person view, they don't affect me in any way and quickly disappear.
I had depression few days ago but it quickly went away because I didn't focus on it too much and I'm much more emotionally stable.
>>
>>29782267
Trying this today, thanks OP
>>
>>29782826
nice.
>>
I have the book "8 Minute Meditation". I've been meditating for 8 minutes a day, for the past several weeks.

I have not noticed any positive effects so far.
>>
>>29783001
8 Minutes might not be enough. From all the science I read, it takes at least 15-20 min a day, with most observable benefits after 2 months.
>>
>>29783001
after 10min when my timer goes on I reset my timer for another 10min because it feels like after 10mins I just start to feel focused, so 8 min isnt really enough
>>
File: tumblr_mlsfw9KoTZ1qigaa4o1_1280.jpg (724KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlsfw9KoTZ1qigaa4o1_1280.jpg
724KB, 1200x802px
I use to meditate like 30 mins to two hour each day back when I was a NEET and I have to tell you, the difference was amazing then. I was really my "true" self because of it. I found myself really relaxed and not as worrisome as I am now.

Been dealing with a lot now so I'm kinda of thinking of getting back into it. But if you ever get into meditation, I recommend to really try a long session if possible.
>>
>>29783001
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/01/eight-weeks-to-a-better-brain/
>>
>>29783001
8 minutes definitely is not enough. I only just start to feel good after 8 mins, and feel benefits within the 13 minute+ mark. 20 minutes is a solid meditation.
>>
Tried it, felt a bit headachey after probably because I had it a bit loud, but did feel good so i'll try it some more
>>
>>29783443
Op here. What was your longest session and have you ever come out in a euphoric bliss?

I had this once or twice. I exited after 1 hour of meditation, it was like looking at the world in high-definition. Mind was clear, not a single thought for a few minutes. I had goosebumps all over my body, and tingles from head to toe. It was amazing.It was like being visually-impaired and putting on glasses.

Of course the problem is that if you chase this reaction or feeling, you wont ever reach it.
>>
>>29783392
>>29783473
Ok. I'll keep at it.

I know the science says it's legit, so I'm not going to give up just because I haven't experienced any benefits right away.
>>
>>29782267
Didnt work, this shit sucks ass.
Why waste time on placebo.
>>
>>29783495
Probably around two hours, more or less.

And I agree on the feeling, I found it to be kinda like that, I felt more of that refreshness after waking up. It really felt energizing and my mind was really calm after it, I had laser focus.
>>
before or after work out?
>>
>>29783548
Both.

Before for concentration gains.
After for pain inhibition and relaxation.
>>
>>29783505
Op here. Your problem is that you are chasing benefits, instead of just letting it be as it is. Dont go in expecting anything, dont think if you had a good session or bad session. Try to go in with no expectations. Ironically, I find the "best" benefits when you dont try to achieve anything from a session.
>>
File: grandmaster.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
grandmaster.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Im happy to see some /fit/izens begin to meditate

you can unlock great physical capabilities through it as well

pic related, my teachers grandmaster. At the age of 19 he no longer slept. He would spend all night in meditation. He kept this vow for the rest of his life
>>
bump so this is here later
>>
>>29783581
What are the first steps to learning how to meditate?
I suffer from anxiety, sleep deprivation.
>>
>>29783830
look up guided meditations on youtube.
>>
>>29783581
Why would I do anything if I were not expecting benefits?
>>
>>29783907
For the pleasure of doing the thing itself? I suppose you could say the act is its own reward. Whether or not that's beneficial is up to you.
>>
>>29783907
It came out wrong. Of course you start meditating to get benefits, I meant to convey that dont actually go into a meditation session expecting any outcomes. If you go in wanting to be relaxed, you wont be; if you go in looking for bliss, you wont achieve it; if you go in expecting a good session, it will be difficult. Kind of like it is hard to make yourself fall asleep by "trying" to fall asleep. The point of meditation is to just accept what is, and expectation is the direct opposite of that.
>>
>>29783951
Pleasure of doing the thing is still a benefit.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I felt nothing at all while meditating. I didn't experience any pleasure, or anything like that.

It felt like I was sitting still and doing nothing for 8 minutes. (Which I was.)

I think I'm going to take the advice of the people in this thread, and try going for longer than 8 minutes.
>>
>>29784008
Yes, you grasped the point I was making. The pleasure of doing a thing is a benefit in and of itself and therefore you shouldn't automatically need to ascribe "benefit" to it to feel it's worthwhile. Just do it. The expectation of benefit is tautological.
>>
>>29784008
You re missing the complete point of meditation. First of all, if it was as easy as 8 minutes of work to feel pleasure, everyone would do it, it takes more than 8 minutes and a few weeks to get to that point.
>Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I felt nothing at all while meditating.

That is fine. You didnt do anything "wrong." Stop fighting it, and just accept that in that moment you didnt feel anything.
>>
File: 1373232180929.gif (793KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1373232180929.gif
793KB, 360x203px
>>29783495
>>
>used to visit a psychologist and other than the usual chat we would do a meditation session
>over each session my mind would go deeper and deeper
>finally manage to properly meditate for what I felt was a couple of minutes
>turns out I was away for 40 minutes and the psychologist had to interrupt because I was taking too much time
>on my way home I had some serious trouble thinking straight and even walking straight
>what the fuck

I need to try that again
>>
>>29784656
how did you do it?
>>
>>29784731
1) sit on a chair on a comfortable position
2) close your eyes
3) focus on the other persons voice doing the usual "think about your breath" indian yoga teacher thing
4) Think about your breath.
5) Voice kinda cuts away after a minute or two.

That's really it, anon above outlined it in more detail. I didn't have to do any lotus positions or some tantric shit. What would my mind shift to was an image of a box, or a room around you which would expand the deeper I go. Once every couple of months I manage to do that accidentally when trying to fall asleep at night or immediately after waking up, but this time I imagine a flat surface extending forward through space, kinda like a highway. Weirdest feeling as well, like you're floating. As a tip, my psychologist told me a lot of people focus easily while staring at a candle flame. For me it's easier if I imagine and focus on simple geometrical figures.
>>
Interesting stuff
>>
Tried this out earlier today, was super relaxing. I've been having trouble getting to sleep for a while now, especially if I've been playing games or something right before bed, so I think I'm gonna try this out before going to sleep and seeing if it helps things.

thanks for sharing op~
>>
bump for coolness
>>
>>29783851
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA5RR54B9bA

I did this one.
It was okay, I felt a little more level-headed.
She has a nice calming voice although I'm not really into feely sort of stuff and think most of the time it sounds like pseudo bs butI felt good after it.
>>
File: 1414619111816.jpg (819KB, 884x1402px) Image search: [Google]
1414619111816.jpg
819KB, 884x1402px
>>
File: 1414620621323.jpg (671KB, 884x1402px) Image search: [Google]
1414620621323.jpg
671KB, 884x1402px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCWP4pODbs
Divide and Conquer: How the Essence of Mindfulness Parallels the Nuts and Bolts of Science
>>
File: 1414620689617.jpg (667KB, 884x1402px) Image search: [Google]
1414620689617.jpg
667KB, 884x1402px
>>
>>29787444
>>29787467
Please take this retard-bait back to tumblr.
>>
File: meditation.jpg (69KB, 1319x371px) Image search: [Google]
meditation.jpg
69KB, 1319x371px
>>29782323
Created a screen shot for those who'd like one. Thanks, OP.
>>
>>29782267
You said you have/had anxiety before regular meditation, how do you manage to go for 30 minutes in next to silence without intruding thoughts? I just can't shut my mind off. My current way of managing to get to sleep is by listening to Welcome to Nightvale as then I can have something else to focus on that uses the same voice in my head part of my brain so my thoughts are harder to break through.
>>
>>29787675
You just answered it. Focus on something else. In most cases what is recommended, and what I find effective, is to focus on your breathing. Listen as you inhale and exhale, and let each thought and distraction that intrudes dissipate as you focus on your breathing.

Over time it will get easier and eventually thoughts will just flow past you easily, like water in a stream, and then it will just be as if no thoughts come at all.
>>
>>29787675
I changed my relationship to my thoughts. The whole purpose of the training is to show that by focusing on something else, you train yourself to not react to thoughts/feelings.
>>
Meditation goes really great with strength training and HIIT. Found it very useful. Does anyone recommend a good app for it? I've been using Buddhist Meditation Trainer which is basic but still has given results. What do you use?
>>
>>29787647
i can't believe people are actually doing this

are you all retarded housewives? do you also do yoga?
>>
File: raised eyebrow.jpg (22KB, 180x260px) Image search: [Google]
raised eyebrow.jpg
22KB, 180x260px
>>29790291
>this guy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUaeqKCoPeQ
>>
>>29790291
>implying yoga isn't great for flexibility and stress relief
>>
I've tried meditation but to sit still for 20 minutes is goddamn agony
>>
>Tfw you fall off the meditation wagon and can't force yourself to do it again.
>>
>>29790576
Do you suffer from ADHD?
>>
>>29783694
kekekeke
>>
>>29790576
You would be the type of person that would benefit the most from it.
>>
>>29790692
pretty sure I do, or at least ADD. how2meditate when attention is shit
>>
>>29790976
progress slowly over time, one day set an alarm for 5 mins the next 5mins and 5 seconds or whatever and so on.
>>
>>29782267
Thank you, OP.
>>
>>29790692
Not diagnosed but I think I do to a degree
>>
>>29783443
Maybe you were a lot more relaxed because being a NEET you had absolutely no responsibilities or anything to do
>>
>>29790976
I have ADHD, it is hard to concentrate but I suppose the more you practice something the better you get

Mind over matter?
>>
>>29790510
My preacher say one should avoid yoga since a christian can't have "two masters".
So civilized world shouldn't be doing yoga.
Some people may think "oh its just some stretching and relaxing, it isn't religious" but remember that Satan works the most where he is not seen!
>>
File: M8Q3l.gif (2MB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
M8Q3l.gif
2MB, 400x263px
>>29793391
>>
>>29782323
so what is momentary ego death?
>>
>>29793391
I AM SATAN.
>>
>>29794951

It is a mental state where you don't care about gains anymore.
>>
>>29790576
it's just boring, I managed to do the exercises pretty effortlessly in the 3 pics someone posted and don't see a reason to keep this up for 20 minutes.
I get it, I visualized the figure, now I went to the toilet to take a piss and visualized the same shape on the wall.
I either have godlike concentration or this doesn't really require you to focus all that much.
>>
>>29790291
insecure faggot detected
>>
bumping with some related stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcTIrA2Qhk&list=PLnNYrW3n9Fh5vrtRsuxFHCIQa1dUdu5u9&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3fOOT7xWQ&list=PLnNYrW3n9Fh5vrtRsuxFHCIQa1dUdu5u9&index=6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgLw6bTtxs&list=PLnNYrW3n9Fh5vrtRsuxFHCIQa1dUdu5u9&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SeR3LxtdI&list=PLnNYrW3n9Fh5vrtRsuxFHCIQa1dUdu5u9&index=2
been meditating since the start of september and I can say that, while it isn't that miraculous cure to all evil in the world some people claim it to be, it is really helpful when dealing with stress, anxiety, work induced burn out and any of the likes.
the last video I posted is bretty gud for newbies
also, anyone here tried out trascendental meditation?
>>
File: mynigga.jpg (13KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
mynigga.jpg
13KB, 256x197px
>>29795704

Not a miraculous cure? It increased my power level by a gazillion!

Seriously though, the effects are subtle but positive. Many people give up on it after not becoming their super self after doing it for a few days. That's like starting lifting and expecting to become huge with 8% body fat in a month.

Also, the real effects are indirect. It's not about getting a feeling of bliss after meditation (you may or may not get this, but it doesn't mean it doesn't work if you don't). It reduces stress and increases focus throughout the day. Remember, being stressed kills your gains and can make you fat at the same time. This alone makes it worth it to meditate if you're trying to get in peak physical condition. Eventually the increased focus will help you get the most out of your gym sessions. Last but not least: it makes you deal with no gf a lot better.
>>
File: 1393560446440.jpg (105KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
1393560446440.jpg
105KB, 427x640px
>>29782267
Reminder that meditation and mindfulness has been scientifically proven to increase your life span on a cellular level

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.29063/abstract

Mindfulness meditation demonstrated to preserve telomere length in groups vs control.
>>
>>29795966
I knew this already. All the more reason to do it.
>>
>>29782346
Ah yes, the man that speaks for 15 minutes and says nothing. The world doesn't need philosophy bullshit any more

>inb42deep4u
>>
I meditated everyday for 6+ months a few years back. The positive effects are too subtle to give a shit about really, placebo effects more than anything. I feel 10 times better lifting for 45mins than sitting in silence with my eyes closed for the same amount of time, between sets is my meditation my mind is clear and how I like it, just like what meditation claims to do.

Whatever works for you at the end of the day but you can do better for yourself than this
>>
File: 75wn1o9.jpg (160KB, 736x937px) Image search: [Google]
75wn1o9.jpg
160KB, 736x937px
Used to do pushups/situps/squats, currently backsliding but BMI remains 23 (didn't change during exercise either)

I like to sit down on the floor before work for 10 minutes (on something slightly thick like a crumpled up clothing item) and "meditate" though I understand it's mostly relaxation, like my shrink used to do when I went to school.

Then I go to work and it feels like the morale nosedive is even stronger because I felt good for a moment.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.