[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/, why depression is so rampant nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 54

File: depressed400.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
depressed400.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
/fit/, why depression is so rampant nowadays?
>>
>>28263872
People getting constantly hammered with fabulous shit on facebook and twitter which makes people think they need to have celebrity lifestyles to be important, also lack of jobs and a general demystification of the world that has happened with the internet
>>
>>28263889
Sometimes I wonder if we, as humans, are supposed to be happy...
>>
>>28263889
pretty much this, mass media in general. too easy to be compared/compare yourself to others. fit is a shithole if you don't have confidence based in reality

>>28263910
edgy
>>
>>28263872
Because everything is amazing and nobody is happy.
>>
>>28263910
Evolutionairy wise it doesn't make much sense since we need a reward and then go back to normal to keep improving our species, but I guess if one tries to shut out the world and stop spending hours upon hours looking at pictures and stories of other peoples success and look at the world in your own vicinity things will come to a perspective and you'll find reward in the smaller things
>>
>>28263872
Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
>>
>>28263939
Yeah, I tried to do that. To be more... local. Kinda hard, I grew up with the Internet.
>>
>>28263872
tfw planning on killing self, fucking selfish family guilts you into staying and living in misery
>>
>>28263910
I've wondered this myself. I honestly think the answer is no, we're not.

Pain/misery is the one and only ONLY experience that 100% of humans experience and therefore share across the world. Not everyone will experience love, or joy, or fear etc etc (though most will) and some combo of them, but everyone at some point will be miserable.

It also seems that people can be unhappy and slip into misery no matter how well things are going for them. Its like a chemical thing. We're just an unhappy animal.
>>
File: 20130911_inequal1.jpg (145KB, 794x582px) Image search: [Google]
20130911_inequal1.jpg
145KB, 794x582px
consider the following:

people are poor.
>>
File: clapping.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
clapping.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
>>
>>28264035
>Great Depression
SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN
>>
>>28264007
Don't do it.
>>28264013
Maybe the search for happiness makes people miserable too. "I got to be happy, if I'm not happy now it means I'm a failure. Why am I failure? What did I do wrong? What's wrong with me? Fuck. >tfw no gf"
>>
File: 1381461604671.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1381461604671.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>28263872
>why depression is so rampant nowadays?
Because there are more ugly people than ever before.
>>
>>28264065
dont hide from reality m8
>>
>>28264089
Are there?
>>
>>28263872

The destruction of human culture caused by egalitarian humanism; all things are equal and the same which means nothing you achieve will ever matter because in their view anyone can do anything. Also the death of man and the birth of the economic man has left a lot of people feeling lost.
>>
>>28263872
because people have too much free time, before people had no time to be depresed
>>
File: Patrick-Bateman-banner-620x250.jpg (41KB, 620x250px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick-Bateman-banner-620x250.jpg
41KB, 620x250px
>>28264104
Yes.
>>
>>28263872
Because da joos
>>
>>28264137
I knew it.
>>
File: temporaryproblem.gif (3MB, 402x252px) Image search: [Google]
temporaryproblem.gif
3MB, 402x252px
>>28264007
dont do that. dont even think aobut it like that. start meditating on upbuilding stuff. and cut your ties with people and things that bring you down. youre gonna make it brah
>>
>>28263872
Lack of identity.
Lack of values.
Lack of meaning.
Lack of emancipation.
>>
File: Faking Happiness.jpg (54KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Faking Happiness.jpg
54KB, 640x427px
>>
>>28264122
This is not entirely true. People in cultures where work takes up more time than free time there's high rates of suicide and depression. Korea and Japan for example.
>>
File: joos20.jpg (93KB, 768x1006px) Image search: [Google]
joos20.jpg
93KB, 768x1006px
>>28264137

I'm depressed I'll never have her too ;_;
>>
File: fixd.jpg (240KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
fixd.jpg
240KB, 960x960px
>>28264183
>>
>>28264239
Yeah, I imagine working so fucking much that you aren't even able to feel depressed is very taxing on the psyche.
>>
File: violentcrime_0.jpg (135KB, 528x408px) Image search: [Google]
violentcrime_0.jpg
135KB, 528x408px
no really. people are poor.
>>
>>28263872
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
>>
>>28264298
income disparity predicts violent crime in any given area.
>>
>>28264007
Don't be a faggot
>>
>>28264322
Anonymous likes your post.
>>
Because humans are evolved to be in small tribes, but the exponential growth of human race has forced most poeple to live in huge cities where they don't know their neighbours and literally ignore 99.9% of people they come across daily. We further isolate ourselves by seeking etertainment from internet and vidya and movies etc. instead of real human interaction.
>>
>>28264007
what would show them more: offing yourself or taking off and making something of yourself?
>>
File: 1406842051602.jpg (104KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
1406842051602.jpg
104KB, 531x471px
>>28264007
>killing self
>>
>>28264007

Don't do it 007
>>
File: tfwnogf2.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnogf2.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>
We were told we could do anything and we're finding out that was a lie.
We're unhealthy. We don't exercise. We don't socialize. There's chemicals in the food.we have access to everywhere, which means we cab be aware of all the awful things that happen.
>>
>>28264398
this. when everyone in your community is a stranger and strangers freak out if you even try to interact with them its a sad sad world.
People dont do very well on their own, they need people looking out for them and holding them up. I say this as a very introverted person myself.
>>
>>28264469
>niggers and spics are poor
ftfy
>>
>>28264398
I recall reading this almost word to word from somewhere... Who are you quoting, remind me, please?

I am myself depressed, but can't really trace the initial reasons accurately anywhere, as I'm clinically depressed, meaning that my brain's biochemistry is completely fucked and treatments (that I'm willing to undertake) aren't helping, either. This further feeds my depression, ofc.
>>
>>28264470
>People dont do very well on their own, they need people looking out for them and holding them up. I say this as a very introverted person myself.

Nailed it
>>
>>28264469
MA and CT masterrace, upholding a higher educational standard than the rest of this shithole.

sometimes i wonder how fucked id be if I grew up somewhere other than MA.
>>
>>28264485

you actually arent wrong....
>>
>>28264489
I'm not really quoting anyone or anything, I've probably read that somewhere too at some point but can't remember where. Now I came it up by myself pretty fast, thinking about by own depression etc. and the reasons.
>>
>>28264398
that would be a compelling argument if there weren't other countries that match that description and were just fine.
>>
>>28264322
Ayy lmao
>>
>>28264566
Urban life is basically like that and I don't even live in the United States of America.
>>
>>28263872
Because the world is shit and full of evil people. Lucky for me my brain converts sadness into fury, and i use that fury to lift heavier, of course the constant hate is consuming me, i hope not end like elliot
>>
File: inequality-3.jpg (126KB, 2506x1411px) Image search: [Google]
inequality-3.jpg
126KB, 2506x1411px
>>28264609
maybe.

but it seems to be worse when you are poor.
>>
>>28264621
Are you trying to push something?
>>
>>28264566
if you mean some euro countries, its because they are culturally different. they value human interaction more explicitly. thats partly why even though spain is a shitty place people like to vacation there because people are more open, relaxed, and are free of much of the sexual tension that is rampant in the UK and USA
>>
File: 1408486627502.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1408486627502.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
Because we can all sense that something is off in the world. Things are going wrong.
Injustice is everywhere you look. Death, war, corruption. The poor are exploited and things we can't afford are teased in front of our eyes almost as if the rich and mega rich are mocking us. We are bombarded with media telling us how to look, how to think, how to act... We are all programmed to think in certain ways and about certain things. The internet has brought some of us together but it has also made it easier to seperate ourselves from others. Young people think they have failed if they are not a celebrity. Peoples moral compasses are gone. We live in a world where you are called "brave" for being a camwhore. We are out of touch with our environment and exploit everything and anything we can get our hands on. We have so much stuff that we do not know how to use it anymore. Everyone has an agenda or are trying to sell you in one way or another. We no longer have any freedom. We are all slaves and it seems everyone has just accepted this and instead try to distract themselves from the reality.

I often wonder... 7-8 billion people on this planet. How many of them are unhappy?
We live in a dying world my friends, and this is all we have for the rest of our lives. Godspeed bros
>>
>>28263872
>/fit/, why depression is so rampant nowadays?
Cognitive bias from hanging around /fit/ and reddit too much. Go outside.
>>
>>28264633
its just some information. if it seems like an argument its probably because the data is so compelling.
>>
more betas, less alpha.

think about it, do you really think your dad wrote feel shit in a chinese imageboard? no, he was working, lifting, getting girls, studying and being happy at the same time.

fuck you internet for helping to ruin the world
>>
Because life is fucking meaningless. We wont be around to discover the universe. We're just shadows and dust on a pale blue dot floating through eternity, forever lost in life and dreams we never reach.
>>
>>28264648
>Everyone has an agenda or are trying to sell you in one way or another

Damn, everything you said is 100% spot on but this specific part is worst for me.
>>
File: BW_COMEDIAN_1_Cvr.jpg (724KB, 1500x2306px) Image search: [Google]
BW_COMEDIAN_1_Cvr.jpg
724KB, 1500x2306px
Sometimes I feel like becoming The Comedian and realize the big joke that is modern life and become a parody of it.
>>
>>28264499
you only need family. disregard others for the most part. if youre family a shit then you need a select few that arent family or nobody depending on how strong you are
>>
>>28264633
just posting some charts about poor people.
>>
>>28264648
>Young people think they have failed if they are not a celebrity.
Funny thing is they are failures.

Own a computer? There is no excuse to not be the next Bill Gates. Some 15 year old sold his app to Yahoo for 30 Million dollars a couple years back. It wasn't even groundbreaking stuff, he was just creative and knew how to market himself (and still does).

Current research also shows how you can make your brain improve at just about anything.

There are no excuses except for your own laziness.
>>
>>28264469
so what? third world countries are poor and they suicide rate isnt even half as much as other developed countries.

I think it's all human psychology, for the most part people needed to be kept busy through working everyday or before that hunting and gathering there was hardly any time for self reflection back then. But the more time we have to think because of advancements in our society the more leisure activity we have the more time we have to wonder why the world is fucked and what are purpose is in this world, when in reality we dont really have a purpose other than survive and reproduce like any other animal in this world.
>>
>>28263872
Low Test
>>
>>28263872
because of things that are normal in society nowadays. Basically everything from technology to your water. Technology keeps people awake longer than they are supposed to be and fucks up your body's natural circadian rhythm. Once the power went out here for over a week, and we didnt get a generator until the last few days. In that time, I went to bed with the sundown and wokeup with the sunrise, all naturally, with no alarm clock, it just happened perfectly, no technology keeping me awake, or lights or anything. Felt fucking amazing.

Then shit like our water supply. Tap water contains all kinds of toxins, and even the things that are supposed to clean the water and be good for us, still causes terrible long term effects. Go look up the effects of flouride. Causes cancer, fucks up your hormone levels, interferes with your thyroid, causes sleep disorders and insomnia, etc etc. Toxins from shit like women's birth control that gets into the water, because in our ecosystem everything gets recycled. Women piss out said BC, it gets into the water supply, the water supply is bleached with flouride and chlorine and then sent to our faucets, but none of the toxins are really ever removed only baceria. I also live in a hard water area, so I'm currently looking into a reverse osmosis system that I can use for my drinking water.

Anyways tons of shit like this is going on, so yeah.
>>
>>28263872

Because there's more pressure to 'succeed' than ever,
to conform to what society as a collective thinks we should be, that wasn't the way in the past, life moved at a slower pace, now we're bombarded with useless shitty information telling us it's important, when it isn't.

At the base level there's only a few things that actually are important, family, friends and place to channel your energy like work, or fitness or hunting etc, being at peace.

But the world today makes it harder than ever to have these things without a shit tonne of baggage, YOU MUST CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SHIT HOLE SOCIETY, CHECK YO BIRTH PRIVILEGE MEAT SACK GIMME TAXES BUY MY PRODUCT YOU SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS, OH NO WE BOMBED ANOTHER SANDMAN.

Humans aren't meant to live in such a confused world.
>>
File: zalrightt.gif (879KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
zalrightt.gif
879KB, 245x230px
>>28264664
i rarley write how i feel on this nrwegian imageboard but that shit does make sense
>>
>>28264740
see

>>28264728 for mortality and
>>28264621 quality of life
>>
>>28264664
My father was very unhappy, he smoke and drink 24/7 until he die when i was 15.My mother is constantly depressed and my older brother is already planing how is going to kill herself (unemployes, bitch wife, a doughter that hates him,etc). So my family is just a grup of sad and unsuccessful people, I only feel apathy and hate.
>>
>>28264754
the natural sleeping pattern I can vouch for. but no-one even drinks tap water, and the fluoride scare is confirmed tinfoil tier
>>
>>28264656
Top kek, not that I disagree with the point your making but

>These hand picked charts I'm posting aren't a representation of a biased point of view, I'm inhumanly good at separating my opinions from my actions on cambodian image boards
>>
File: 411232131564456456.jpg (113KB, 441x355px) Image search: [Google]
411232131564456456.jpg
113KB, 441x355px
>>28263872
Life is a joyless experience.

>at gym today, waiting to do more sets
>gymbro walks in, looking pumped
>"Hey man, feeling motivated?"
>"No"
>he laughs and continues to workout
>I wasn't even kidding

Currently trying to bulk since I'm like 6ft and 132 pounds, but I am so scared of getting fat that I remain skinnyfat forever.
>>
You are in your early 20's you fuckwits. Stop being proud of being underachievers who "know the real truth dawg" and move your fucking ass.
>>
>>28264797
>but no-one even drinks tap water,
?
>>
A mix between lack of sunlight and exercise.

Just go back 60-70 years a people where working outside on farms, acting and getting enough light.

And lack of meaning. Nihilism and existential crises
>>
>>28264737
I know of this particular kid and what is your point? Not everyone can do what he has done. Not everyone has the talent or oppurtunity this kid had, or the good fortune.
It is statistically impossible for everyone to become a success in this economy.
Do you not understand yet? Some people are ushered into the failure seat.
Sure, it is still possible for some to do extremely well but what about the others who are not so fortunate?

Not everyone can make it. That is the sad truth.
>>
>>28263910
See, I used to ask myself these kinds of questions but I don't think humans are destined for anything. We just do whatever we please and whether it leads to something is up to us.
>>
>>28264754
I regularly stay up until 5 AM and I feel great. Checkmate.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (9KB, 580x318px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
9KB, 580x318px
>>28264798
out of curiosity. how many charts from various agencies would i have to post before you I can say they arent handpicked?
>>
If you're not happy do something about it.

Don't resign yourself to apathy.

Chances are you're doing absolutely fuck all to push yourself and improve. That's when man is at his most satisfied. That is our nature.

True pleasure and contentment comes with skill. Great skill is the best thing in life. Go out and acquire it.
>>
>>28263910
Making happiness the focal point of your life trivializes it, because in order to regard anything as truly important, you also have to regard its loss as truly meaningful. Opening yourself up to moments of deep meaning simultaneously means that you have to open yourself up to the possibility of deep hurt and sorrow.

You do that anytime, for example, you make a relationship profound, you put your emotions on the line and that has to be real, or else the relationship can’t be real. To hope that sort of risk could be obliterated by the indulgence in a simplistic form of happiness is to shrink in cowardice from the demands real human existence places on people.”

-Jordan B. Peterson, CBC Idea’s “Say No to Happiness”
>>
File: cassidy_05.jpg (27KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
cassidy_05.jpg
27KB, 580x435px
>>28264893
actually if you are born into miserable circumstances you are more likely to stay that way.
>>
>>28264893
The problems is that depression destroys all ambition and will power, everything looks pointless, like doing something that beforehand you know is not going to work
>>
>>28264858
>Do you not understand yet? Some people are ushered into the failure seat.
Yeah, the ones that have to work three jobs to survive. That excludes about 100% of /fit/.

Everyone ITT right now can opt to use the Internet to learn. There is no excuse. This is free fucking University at your fingertips but instead you chose to post sadfrogs and act pretentious, think about that

By the way the kid I was talking about put in thousands of hours into programming just like everyone else who is successful at it.

There is no excuse
>>
>>28264907
>Jordan B. Peterson
God that guy is such a whiny bitch but I like him
>>
Hehe, we could use the internet for knowledge but we rather watch porn and retarded stuff :)
It's easier to escape for a short time than escaping forever
>>
>>28264874
or maybe you just think you feel great
>>
>>28264740
being poor isnt very relevant to your mental state. being RELATIVELY poor effects your mental state.
>>
Because people are whiny little weak cunts.
>>
>>28264989
I honestly don't think he is whiny, its just his style of delivery. But he is a fucking genius, constantly drops bombs
>>
File: 07-M252.gif (84KB, 740x570px) Image search: [Google]
07-M252.gif
84KB, 740x570px
>>28264974
not everyone has internet
>>
My two cents on the topic. The two biggest things that helped me have been therapy and meditation.

1. Therapy for dealing with the deep issues that were in my blind spots. You are not aware of everything that is shaping your moods, thoughts, and motivations. Working with a professional can help you dig deeper. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can stop out everything and just be the best version of yourself in an instant.

2. Meditation. Being able to take a break from the constant monkey mind. You don't even realize how lost you are in a completely mind created world in your head. It's easy to see a commercial on TV and avert your attention and say 'I don't want that.' and pay attention to something else. It's not so easy when your mind spins a commercial to you 24/7 of your thoughts, desires and aversions. You can't stop focusing on it to the point you don't even realize that you are half there in life.

Coming to the realization that things like the internet are just a gigantic medium that the mind created. It will never stop generating content, thoughts and ideas for you to get lost in, just like your mind. Think of the internet as a big thinking mind. Places like /fit/ you might consider a mind that is probably depressed and constantly challenging you with terrible ideas and beliefs.

I'm ranting at this point. One of the biggest things I learned from meditation is that nothing at all in your mind or the outside world has any real hold over you enjoying whatever you are focusing on. If you have no ability to focus then you are trapped in your thoughts. The mind has such a grasp on most of us that the idea of trying to focus on one object is nearly impossible. Therefore most of you are imprisoned in your mind and can't even see it.
>>
>>28265039
>or maybe you just think you feel great
As long as it keeps me from posting feels I think I'm ok with feeling pseudo-great
>>
>>28265107
>>
>>28265088
He just wants people to really listen. Its kind of like ron paul "why won't you listen" way of talking. At least thats how i see it
>>
>>28264035
are you predicting future by looking at the past results/performance?

do you even economics?
>>
>>28264907
Thank you Jordan.

the guy that maintains his youtube channel is hilarious, its also hilarious that he cant have his own name because some dude obsessed with trucks has it.

also, he makes a great /fit/ statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhAz9k008Q&t=3m38s
>>
>>28265088
maybe he is on the tv shows, but his lectures and presentations dont seem that way to me.
>>
File: 1335861266319.png (104KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1335861266319.png
104KB, 320x287px
>>28263872
Because modern day workdays.

Man wasn't meant to do the same thing for 8 hours a day for 50 years.
>>
Easy- bored kids who don't know how good they have it who have been told they could do anything. Life sucks when anything becomes a shit job and struggling to make it paycheck to paycheck either alone or with some bitch that would never have seen yourself with.

Everything is a let down when the beautiful snowflake of child you were turns out to be an ordinary adult.

So put some weight on your back and be the best man you can be b/c that's really all there is.
>>
>>28265149
Man you have no idea how much that picture makes me cringe. I literally cant hang out with people outside because we always pass by at least several beggars/homeless and I just cant have a good time or not notice it.

And yes I always give them some cash, except to gipsies, fuck those rats that just keep multiplying and steling.
>>
>>28263872
because no gf

But seriously, it's because we have it too easy

we do the same mind numbing routine day in day out, it kills you on the inside
>>
Dpression? Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling "bummed out"?
>>
>>28265210
>Because modern day workdays.
>Man wasn't meant to do the same thing for 8 hours a day for 50 years.
If you seriously stagnate for 50 years straight that's on you for not furthering your education. Not le evil society
>>
>>28265264

No.
>>
>>28265218
Nah brah its because pplz told me I could be anything and then capitalist society fucked me in the ass!!1

Hold on, these are some pretty deep thoughts here.

Perhaps I should contribute to some type of discussion where 20-somethings try to explain the meaning of life and why everything is more shit than it used to be.

Be right back
>>
>>28265264
MY LIFE! OH, MY LIFE!
>>
>>28265185
>the guy that maintains his youtube channel is hilarious, its also hilarious that he cant have his own name because some dude obsessed with trucks has it.
hahaha thats funny

>also, he makes a great /fit/ statement:
Man its so true. Kind of like in pic related. I watched that talk, not even gonna have psychology as a career but that was a good talk. Some really solid advice in there. With life tips and such Peterson is the fucking shit. Every depressed nihilistic shit should give him a listen imo

>>28265198
Maaaybe a little. But there is this "you gotta fucking listen to this please its so fucking awesome you GOTTA LISTEN WHY WONT YOU LISTEN" thing. He really feels his shit is important and meaningful and that people should listen. Very passionate delivery
>>
File: poor_equals_republican.jpg (541KB, 3234x1121px) Image search: [Google]
poor_equals_republican.jpg
541KB, 3234x1121px
>>28265182
nah. just posting charts
>>
>>28265264
>>28265440
Dwight you ignorant slut.
>>
I hate when people discount depression, or people who don't have it say they're depressed.

My life was great, I have/had absolutely no fucking reason to be depressed. And for people saying "lolbored," no, it's not boredom. It's just something in your brain that's so utterly fucked, you just feel like shit 90% of the time. You don't want to struggle to stay alive, because you feel like staying alive isn't worth it. But at the same time, you DO want to stay alive because everyone else seems to like life. It's just a fucked up feeling that can't really be described.

And the whole while you feel ridiculous, because there are literally people with no limbs who have it a million times harder than you, and they aren't being whiny little faggot bitches.

Maybe I am just a spoiled brat, and if that's the case, I wish someone would just off me, because I don't have the balls to do it myself.
>>
>>28263872
There's no sense of destiny.
>>
>>28265496
>poor equals republican jaypeg
B-but that's the exact opposite of what the chart says

Also I call bullshit because Nebraska isn't most unequal even though it has Warren Buffet in it, checkmate chartmakers
>>
>>28265691
Are you me?
No reason to be depressed, but it came creeping slowly and i hate feeling like a whiny faggot ass bitch
>>
>>28265752
ha, yeah i was just having fun with that one. Its CA an WA that throw off the correlation on that one, but if you look close you see there is a pocket of white on both where essentially all the people are squished into cities.
>>
>>28265691
its nothing to do with your brains, depression is not disease, you do cure it with drugs, sort out your life and depression will disappear.
>>
File: flaps.jpg (22KB, 551x465px) Image search: [Google]
flaps.jpg
22KB, 551x465px
Anyone else like me and feel they are just incapable of being depressed?

No matter what bad shit happens I am always content and able to follow logic like pic related.
>>
>>28265966
Nope, you are a special snowflake.
>>
I havent had depression since I stopped fapping
>>
>LOW TESTO
>>
>>28265966
It's chemical, not mindset.
>>
>>28264322
You are truth.
>>
>>28264489
It's from Fight Club.
>>
File: this.png (3KB, 323x155px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
3KB, 323x155px
>>28264651
Exactly.
The internet is over loaded with depressed and sad folk. Being around those kind of people breeds sadness.

Life is freaking good, guys.
>>
>>28266384
>The internet is over loaded with depressed and sad folk. Being around those kind of people breeds sadness.
Thats an proved fact btw.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/07/02/1412469111
>>
>>28265966

Being depressed is not about having a problem or not. It's about being sad without a specific "normal" reason. You don't even wish to be happy and you don't want to change it, but still you are unhappy.. Far beyond logic thinking
>>
File: P5BdraW.jpg (82KB, 500x449px) Image search: [Google]
P5BdraW.jpg
82KB, 500x449px
>>28264007
>007
You can't kill yourself now faggot.
>>
>>28264007

Here anon, I hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HkQ4-x4P4

And to answer mr. Watts second question - Yes We are.
>>
>>28263872
social marxism has destroyed our society and left us all empty shells seeking the next temporary thrill
>>
>>28263872
its because you are in the most negative site on the internet, even if you are aware of the negative people all that misery, envy, resentment, etc starts wearing on you. funny this guy posted >>28264611
Sites like BB.com are cancer, all day watching halfnaked men and all those unrealistic expectations and body dysmorphia.
>>
>>28264125
no
>>
Now I realize all the heroes I admire didn't compare themselves to heroes in stories. They did their thing. They followed their path without wasting time watching movies, reading books and playing videogames.

Don't compare yourself. Have your own story. Disconnect and go your way.
>>
>why depression is so rampant nowadays?

Because kids are placed in cushy hugboxes from birth, thus unable to cope with real life once they get to it.
>>
Here's a pro-tip to bettering your mental health.

Get off this website.
>>
>tfw no gf
>>
>>28264611
Jordan Peterson is exactly what you need to hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX6fevCATI
>>
>>28267335
Or make this a better place : )
>>
>>28267290
>>28267335
this
>>
>>28264667

>Don't work, or work for yourself
>Don't get married, or marry someone you love
>Don't have Children, or raise good kids
>Don't follow fashion, there's a billion types of fashion, make your own
>"Normal"
>When is the last time someone told you to walk on the pavement?
>Don't watch TV
>Don't obey unjust laws, we all break dozens of laws by the time we're 20
>Save for later in life so you can enjoy

What is wrong with this picture?
>>
>>28265089
Everyone in this thread has internet, like he said, you fuckstick
>>
File: Average 4channer.jpg (89KB, 976x310px) Image search: [Google]
Average 4channer.jpg
89KB, 976x310px
>>28267422
there is nothing wrong with the picture, it was made by some anarchist edgy kid, getting a good job and raising a good family is what makes a man.
>>28267379
a place where everyone is more obsessed with making others feel inadequate than actually improve themselves can't be fixed. how many height, dick, etc threads can a human see without fucking his head.
pic related, the average poster
>>
>>28267335
fucking this. the instant I spend more than 5 minutes here I get sucked in and my life starts devolving to shit. I don't know why but 4chan kills any and all motivation I have to do anything. I just want to waste all my time here.
>>
File: 1408371640267.jpg (28KB, 472x700px) Image search: [Google]
1408371640267.jpg
28KB, 472x700px
>>28264972
Depression is a weakness that exists to push us foward. The problem is people see it as an outside force that is in your power.

I was near suicidal and had to break my mind before I was happy. Im happy 90% of the time now but I had to deal with my emotions, accept I made myself that way.

Mu special illness mindset is like a cancer, it makes people who feel weak and powerless feel even more so. Life is suffering and you have to be strong, when you play guitar the first time it is hard, over time you get better and your brain gets better at it. Depression is the same you over think and make it a habit, each time you encounter the situation with this cancerous mindset you deal with the first time over and over again. You cascade into depression from your bad habits.

You have to suffer and use pain from a place of control to reprogram yourself. You may find you spend your time causing problems in the streets, trying to start fight, putting yourself in danger what ever it takes.
>>
File: MtEBdAG.jpg (126KB, 1024x691px) Image search: [Google]
MtEBdAG.jpg
126KB, 1024x691px
I was "depressed" for about 10 months this year, I didn't leave my room for days, failed both university semesters, and somehow joined a frat without getting laid a single time.

I looked up the symptoms for depression, I was "severe". I thought of going to a doctor, but all the doctor can do is ask questions - it's not a real medical diagnosis. They ask how you feel, if you keep giving shitty answers then you're "clinically depressed". Prescribed drugs (aside from my weed and alcohol addictions) were tempting, but what's the point if I have to alter my brain?

I started learning about Buddhism, and I feel like it was a complete turning point for me. Everyone feels pain, life - our very existance - is suffering.

This seems pessimistic, but it's actually very liberating. We as a society have this sick notion that you're SUPPOSED to be happy all the time - How absurd! We make people feel as if there is something wrong with them, that they can't act, if they feel sad or down at some point. They wonder why they feel that way, they look at everyone else seeming to have a great time and wonder why they can't.

Everyone suffers, the vast majority of life is boredom and sadness. It's when you embrace this that you can find happiness - I'm still trying to. Being mindful of your thoughts and emotions, realizing your thoughts and feelings are NOT YOU. They come, they go, they are as temporary as the entire world around you. In time the room you are sitting in, the computer you are looking at, the flesh and blood that is you will all have crumbled away into dust! An eternity of time stretches behind your birth, an eternity after your death, everything and everyone will soon return back into non-existence.

Except for your consciousness, the consciousness that is reading this right NOW. Your thoughts, your feelings, your body, your belongings, your ego - all temporary illusion. Embrace their existence, but hold no attachment, and you will be free
>>
>>28264664
My father was a fucking stick and did nothing for the first 20 years of his life apart from drinking and sitting at my grandparents house.
>>
>>28267335
/fit/ aint that bad though. What really drags you the fuck down is /r9k/. I was having a really good day feeling good for no real reason, get bored and go on there, 5 minutes later I feel like absolute shit again. Fuck this I will never go there again.
>>
>>28267773
>/fit/ aint that bad though

Every CBT is filled with people who have nice bodies being called "SKELETON," "DYEL" or other shit. Every problem is answered with an insult from some deluded neckbeard who considers himself a "man" and likes to give "tough love" on the internet thinking it'll motivate somebody. Everyone wants to talk like they're tough and look down on others.

/fit/ is shit
>>
>>28267849
I mean compared to stuff like /r9k/. At least people here try to improve themselves.
>>
>>28263872
Because we have designed machines that can make coffee and yet people still are still employed for no reason to make coffee.
>>
>>28267849
that's all the boards
that's all of 4chan
>>
>>28267849
I'm fat and have been losing a lot of weight in the last month in a half.

I've only heard one negative comment from /fit/ and a lot positive ones.
>>
>>28267919
Wtf is r9k anyways? Is it like another version of /b/? I only go on /fit/ and /k/
>>
>>28267849
Some people like myself actually prefer the insults as motivation as opposed to the hand holding bullshit you can see everywhere else on the internet. It takes all kinds to make a world.
>>
>>28267919
Most try, but the retarded "tough love" schtick I mentioned makes everyone feel like shit at the end of the day anyway. The guy works out for months, starts feeling ok, posts here, everyone calls him a faggot, skeleton and talks about his gyno. I'm not even mad or anything since I never posted my body on /fit/, I just hate this shitty attitude. Worst part is, they think this is legit motivation, as if talking down on somebody will make them think "Heck no! I'll prove them wrong!" and not just feel bad.

>>28267962
/adv/ can be kind sometimes.

>>28267970
Fat people get support more easily on /fit/.
>>
>>28264007
>killing yourself
>calling your family selfish
>>
>>28263872
shitty diet/ not getting enough vitamin d from sun/ lack of sleep / we all get sad sometimes/ not enough exercise/ 9 to 5 job
>>
You guys cheer me up to better myself /fit/, you've helped my mood out more than once

So if you're not feeling 100% just remember that it always gets better.
>>
>>28267995
If you hate fit then why the hell are you on it? Is it so hard to believe that some of us actually don't feel bad from the shit on this board and actually find it motivating?
>>
>>28267981
It's the most depressing place you will ever find. The stereotype is that people there are all 25 y/o kissless neckbeard virgins, in reality they are completely average looking guys who have absolutely 0 self confidence so they get no girls. But instead of fixing their various problems, they just go on /r9k/ and cry about everything they can find, mostly women and society. Whenever you give them advice, they either tell you to fuck off cause you're a "normalfag" or completely ignore it.

So basically, people that have given up on life and come there to cry about it.
>>
>>28263872
I think a lot of what is misdiagnosed as depression is really just a fear of failure and taking risks. Remember, up until maybe 50 years ago, it was a lot more common to just drop off the grid and restart somewhere. Also, it was harder to go to prison, and people weren't so scared to hire ex-cons. I think a lot of young men feel like they've failed at life, and I think that nowadays, it's at least perceived that you really can't work your way back, if that makes any sense

Of course, all of this has pretty much always been true for black dudes
Nowadays, though, white guys are feeling the pinch
>>
>>28268027
Because I don't participate in the threads I mentioned, maybe? As I said, I don't post on CBT, so it doesn't affect me personally. And yes, it is, and encouraging this shit is very dumb. There's no difference between saying "eat more" and "LOL HUNGRY SKELETON THANK YOU" except one is an insult for no reason. Which is even funnier when you consider a good portion of /fit/ doesn't even actually lift.
>>
>>28267995
I never looked at it like that, but it's true. But people who post their body here must know what they are facing when they do it, I mean /fit/ will always find a way to insult your gains even if you're the rock or something. Why would they think anything else would happen?
>>
File: 1401475798720.jpg (88KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1401475798720.jpg
88KB, 960x720px
I am depressed because I have an under bite. Its not noticeable but i avoid talking because it requires much more effort to properly pronounce words when compared with a normal bite... tbh its really changed me as a person. I wasn't depressed at all until my bite became like this...I hate who I've become
I just want to fast forward to the day I have the surgery. But that can't happen. So the depression will linger for a couple more years...
>>
File: 13157393085.jpg (68KB, 640x535px) Image search: [Google]
13157393085.jpg
68KB, 640x535px
>>28264648
Then do something about it. Take initiative. You are just being a keyboard warrior complaining and complaining and not doing.
>>
Because life ACTUALLY FUCKING SUCKS.

That's the truth.

People live in denial and want to tell themselves all kinds of cutesy shit, but the truth is that these are actually pretty shitty days to be on the earth.
>>
>>28264754
>Ever drinking tap water.
Boil my water master race.
>>
>>28268139

Boiling water kills bacteria (Which aren't a problem for first world tap water). It's the fluoride and others metals in the water, and those need to be filtered, you can't boil away metal
>>
>>28268106
I think it's kind of like "I'm feeling like I've made progress and I want to show it to somebody." Obviously the results can be bad, it's the internet, but I don't see the point in being unnecessarily harsh.

People who say they get motivated by this miss the fact that it's bad motivation. It's not "cool, I've done good, gonna do more good!" It's more like "oh my god, I look like a piece of shit, better work out like crazy." And then no matter what you do, there'll be someone telling you you look DYEL as fuck and you'll always push yourself but never feel good with your distorted body image. There's no healthy motivation in being nasty.
>>
File: 10245687631.jpg (28KB, 400x332px) Image search: [Google]
10245687631.jpg
28KB, 400x332px
>>28265220
That's not even the worst of it. By my area Asian ladies in their 70s and 80s picking up bottles and cans in trash to try to make a living. They don't understand a single bit of English. And right next to this 70s year old Asian lady picking up trash we have these 2 girls in their mid 20s asking for money while this old Asian lady is picking up bottles and cans. Unfuckingbelivable.
>>
>>28263872
High fructose corn syrup and immunizations.
>>
>>28265218
Vibed with this one anon. Thank you for the words.
>>
>>28268252
>implying high fructose corn syrup anywhere else than the USA
>>
File: The Strain - The Fall 009-029.jpg (2MB, 1680x2583px) Image search: [Google]
The Strain - The Fall 009-029.jpg
2MB, 1680x2583px
>feminism poisoning the mind of girls and telling them all men are rapists
>mra/mgtow poisoning the mind of men and telling them all women are whores
>social media, facebook where everybody have perfect lives
>entitlement of millenials, there are a lot of jobs available but all they want to start as CEOs
>destruction of family
>making aberrations acceptable, bronies, otakus, gays would get their shit beaten 30 years ago

Setrakian dies
enjoy your liberal paradise
>>
>>28268606

>making aberrations acceptable, bronies, otakus, gays would get their shit beaten 30 years ago

This fucking shit so much. My grandfather would be rotating in his grave if he could see that my brother has MLP stuff.
>>
>>28268606
Not all women are whores, but there are a lot more of them then there were in the past cause no matter what a girl does, it's socially acceptable. You can fuck around all you want and almost no one cares.
>>
>>28263910
Depressed fag here. I know plenty of people that are happy like 95% of the time. I envy their life. I wish I could be like that.
>>
>>28268722
>tfw the only time i'm happy is when i'm sleeping
>>
>>28264089
>>28264104
>>28264125
No, the Internet has simply brought all the beautiful people to the surface and they get more exposure...
>>
>>28264812
Do a clean bulk, with a surplus of around 400 kCal, and aim for a lb of mass gain a week. If you're consistent with your training, diet and recovery, you can expect at least a 50/50 ratio of lean mass/fat gain (which is a lean bulk).
>>
>>28264322
Pasta
>>
If you are going to kill yourself, take out as many loans as you can possibly take and leave.

If you leave the country you don't have to pay them back, unless you want to return, but why would you want to return to the place take made you into what you are now
>>
>>28268722
>people that are happy like 95% of the time
you are too young or too stupid. people lie all the time, men I know bragging about their business and a few days later asking me to borrow 20 bucks, people in debt with a brand new car. its all appareances, fuck this is an ANNONYMOUS board and how many 5'9'' guys call otther manlets just to feel superior for a moment, remember the average dick here is 8''
>>
>>28268739
>tfw the only time I'm happy is lifting, watching a god tier comedy, or hanging out with real friends.
I almost have no real friends either. Being depressed is ultimate shit.
>>
>>28268759
what would be a clean bulk?
>>
>>28268829
Hmm.. Maybe you're right. I'm not too young. I mean, I don't know what you'd call young. I'm 20. But I do know people that go by through life quite content and happy with how things are. Where is I just see the worst in almost everything. I try to improve myself by laughing.
>>
>tfw the only thing that makes me happy is helping other people cause I suck at helping myself
>>
File: 1396052208733.jpg (32KB, 399x467px) Image search: [Google]
1396052208733.jpg
32KB, 399x467px
Because there is no great cause. There's just chaos. Nobody knows what they really want. Media feeds a soup of mixed signals into brains, everyone's a preacher, and nobody practices.
>>
>>28268853
20 is pretty damn young. When your friends haven't had kids, when you haven't thought about investing, taxes, or buying a home, you're probably young.

Sincerely,
18year old
>>
>>28268957
My ex girlfriend was good like that. Damn I miss her so much
>>
Because nobody knows what it actually is so everyone uses it as a synonym for sadness.

Welcome to eating shit, formerly known as the world.
>>
It's always been rampant, but before simply deemed "melancholy" or aggressiveness, and many of these conditions and social tensions are just now coming to the surface as we learn about ourselves. However, nowadays, with the dehumanizing fact of industrial society, the pollution of the human environment and food with chemicals that fuck up hormones, and a functionalist view of the world that so pervades the modern world (specifically the USA), people are living in a hell of stress and tribalist conflict with no sense of community. One must reach out to his/her fellow man to.connect and create family and heal, that's what is wrong.
>>
File: 1356953359205.png (444KB, 457x457px) Image search: [Google]
1356953359205.png
444KB, 457x457px
>>28268606
>>28268673
>bronies, otakus, gays and other degenerates doing what they like is whats making me depressed! Its all their fault!
>its the feminists fault I dont have a qt 50s housewife!
Lol fuck off /pol/
>>
Because everyone is low test

Put Robin williams on some dat dere testosterona and you have a happy man with a rugged diamond for a cock

Theres a reason test is so rabidly illegal, but turn on the tv during any football game and you'll get a dozen different commercials for a dozen different anti depressants which may or may not cause you to feel more depressed and or even work
>>
why do you guys act like this is new?
>>
Because life sucks but you have people who watch all these reality shows and social media seeing how they think their lives should be instead of just living a life but don't worry theirs a pill for that
>>
>>28269709
This
>>
>>28268841
eat healthy shit. afaik it's hard to get fat with a clean bulk, because of the sheer amount of food you'd have to eat. read the sticky (ilu).
>>
>>28267773
If you think /r9k/ is bad, you should take a look at wizardchan.

It is the chan for failures who have given up on life to get together and wallow in self pity.
>>
>>28269679
>facts
I-UUUUHH, HAHA,GB2 /POL/ XDDDD
>>
I want to try taking a small dosage of xanax to help take the edge off.
I have made decent progress figuring out why I was/am depressed but trying to undo 25 years of bad habits is hard.

Where can I purchase some online without having to go through the hassle of talking to a doctor?
>>
File: change share.png (35KB, 630x408px) Image search: [Google]
change share.png
35KB, 630x408px
>>28264035
That graph is only looking at the top 10%. The reality is much more disturbing.
>>
So that's why coming to this shithole makes me feel like garbage. Reading about other people feeling sad and being assholes actually does affect how you feel even if you dont take what they say to heart?
>>
>>28264679
That struck a feels chord.
>>
>>28265107

Thanks for the read, seriously.
>>
>>28265691

gym: acquire muscular gains
read: gains for your brains
in no time you'll break the depressing chains
and take off the mental underwear covered with jizz stains

(oc)
>>
>>28265210
I hate that 40 hours per week with 15 paid days off per year with shitty benefits is fabulous. When I was a kid, I thought the idea of working 8 hours a day must have been excruciating. Now I'm to the point where I don't even notice it. I worked 60 hour weeks just to pay my way through college. God, adult life is depressing. The fact that it demands complacency makes it even worse.
>>
>>28264322
>Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering.

Fight club brah
>>
>>28270068
>facts
Yes, it is a fact that people like stupid shit like MLP and animu, how may I ask does this cause depression in others/you?
>implying more than .1% of the female population give a shit about feminism
A never-ending stream of news about people getting murdered and planes getting shot down and all sorts of shit, but the reason people are depressed is because homosex and autism is tolerated and a fat bitch with rockabilly glasses writes shit on tumblr?
>>
I honestly think it has something to do with the processed and GM foods that make up 90% of the western diet. All kinds of funky shenanigans are starting to emerge about that.

One thing in particular is that GMO soy, something found in damn near everything you buy that isnt raw (seriously just grab the ingredients of anything around you and look at them. You will see Soy or Soy lecithin in it). It contains the lignans thar aren't estrogen, but they behave the same way estrogen does in the body and even bonds the same way. It's quite possible that it's the reason why so many guys are bitches these days.

Notice how after you stopped eating junk and started making your own shit from scratch, the bitch in you left? Yeah, might have something to do with it.
>>
>>28263872
TK puts it very eloquently:

Human beings have a need (probably based in biology) for something that we will call the “power process.” This is closely related to the need for power (which is widely recognized) but is not quite the same thing. The power process has four elements. The three most clear-cut of these we call goal, effort and attainment of goal. (Everyone needs to have goals whose attainment requires effort, and needs to succeed in attaining at least some of his goals.) The fourth element is more difficult to define and may not be necessary for everyone. We call it autonomy [...]

Everyone has goals; if nothing else, to obtain the physical necessities of life: food, water and whatever clothing and shelter are made necessary by the climate. [...]

Nonattainment of important goals results in death if the goals are physical necessities, and in frustration if nonattainment of the goals is compatible with survival. Consistent failure to attain goals throughout life results in defeatism, low self-esteem or depression.

[I]n order to avoid serious psychological problems, a human being needs goals whose attainment requires effort, and he must have a reasonable rate of success in attaining his goals.

In modern industrial society only minimal effort is necessary to satisfy one’s physical needs. It is enough to go through a training program to acquire some petty technical skill, then come to work on time and exert the very modest effort needed to hold a job. The only requirements are a moderate amount of intelligence and, most of all, simple OBEDIENCE. If one has those, society takes care of one from cradle to grave.
>>
>>28270449

I love that book.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
>>
>>28268832
>>28268957
I'm in the same boat as you niggers
Lifting, music and helping people keep me goin, they're the only things that make me not feel empty/dead inside
>>
>>28263872
>tfw either extremely ecstatically happy on the verge of manic or depressed as all hell
>>
>>28270931
>ftw either I can't even be bothered to eat a piece of toast or stuffing my face with cake and beer
>>
>>28270509
or it could also be the fact that you stopped being lazy and took some fucking responsibility.
>>
>>28264797
>>28268139
You guys must live in shitville because my city's tap water is great, fucking spent a shitload on it a couple years back because people kept complaining,
>>
Because of facebook, smartphones, and headphones. Nobody under 40 talks with anybody else anymore. Music or their facebook wall are more important than anything else to people now days. And they can't figure out why they're lonly.

That and there's nothing to fight for. If you don't have a reason to live and keep fighting, you're gonna get depressed. Lack of discapline, external and internal. Harder you push yourself into line, the less depressed you'll get.

/fit/, I dare you, for one day, to turn off your computer, hide your smartphone and headphones, and permanently disable facebook and never fucking touch 4chan again. You'll suffer withdrawl before you just snap and start actually doing shit with your life.
>>
File: 1385057378900.png (3MB, 1200x2964px) Image search: [Google]
1385057378900.png
3MB, 1200x2964px
>>28263872
In my option a major contributor is this now mentality, everyone wants their goals and dreams to come true but no one wants to work for it. Everything needs to be instant or they should just be given it instead, think about it how addicted to Facebook and Twitter people are, its nothing but instant gratification. Its why all these diet fads talk about getting results in 30 days, yet the things that matter take time, weeks, months, hell years to accomplish and that's why people get depressed.
We're being condition to expecting things to just happen and it's creeping into our subconscious like a cancer and making us depressed when things don't happen quick enough. The pursuit of happiness is just that a pursuit, not a waiting game, and the pursuit sometimes takes time and people just aren't willing to stick to it any more. So you fail and that also makes us sad putting in the effort to have it come to nothing.
Yet that's life sometimes the best we haven't isn't enough that doesn't mean to give up, it just means to come at it from a different angel, or see where you dropped off at and work harder for it.
I used to be on antidepressants and I'll never go on them again cause now I can actually see what makes me happy and I will not be content with being just OK, balanced out, I'll purse my happiness even if it runs me into the ground.
>>
>>28271123
>anon came back to 4chan just to tell everyone this, he's going back to no social media tomorrow
>>
>>28271248
I'm just saying. It works. I only follow local comunities on social media now days. Popped in from /cgl/ to see what's happening on my old homeboard. Still manlet threads and /r9k/ leakage I see.
>>
>>28270351
pretty good, pretty good
>>
>fat stored on hips
>cloudy memory (most years seem like a fog)
>always unhappy
>constantly irritated
>no facial hair

I'm pretty sure I have a low test problem.

I'm gonna get checked soon and hopefully this will stop me from continuing down the path of being a sadcunt.
>>
>>28271505
eh...i have similar traits and i did a test for test and my test was above average. Although I do have facial hair. But everything else is about right.
>>
>>28271505
Same traits, I'm getting blood work done tommorow
>>
>>28263872

- feeling inferior to other human beings which is a result of society

- too high expectations that are impossible to fulfill.

- everyone wants 5000k each month without doing regular work
>>
>>28267549

What if I dont raise a family?
>>
-Bad diets
-Sedentary lifestyles
-Bombarded with meaningless information at all waking moments
-Compare yourself to other people constantly with social media
-Have your dopamine receptors fried from years of video games and pornography and etc. how do you expect to enjoy a walk in the park ?
>>
>>28267602
>>28267602

strong post. I was depressed for a while as well. I never read into buddhism, but I came to your conclusion on my own. Feel much better these days.
>>
>>28263872
Because society is fucked, and people are more open about their depression now.
>>
>>28268606
>>entitlement of millenials, there are a lot of jobs available but all they want to start as CEOs

I dont think you've actually tried looking for a job recently.
>>
American highschoolers today suffer from more anxiety and stress than insane aassylum patients in the 1950s.
>>
File: ted.jpg (53KB, 300x204px) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
53KB, 300x204px
>>28263872
>>28263872
what's prevalent in the modern world is not unhappiness in the classical sense, as in discontent, but rather apathy and feelings of inadequacy. people aren't receiving what they assumed they'd receive when they were younger, because it's impossible in the modern world for everyone to be a CEO or NBA player or celebrity.

most people are just ants among 7 billion, living on middle class ranches (suburbs), doing their menial tasks and failing to live a fulfilling life. before the internet the world was "mystical" as >>28263889 said it, and people had important roles, small communities and a slower lifestyle people were closer to nature and each other.

I recommend reading some of ted kaczynski's manifesto. and there's a philosopher whose name I forget out there that covers this topic... he was Italian, that's all I remember.
>>
File: Julius_Evola.jpg (22KB, 363x501px) Image search: [Google]
Julius_Evola.jpg
22KB, 363x501px
>>28272614
his name just came to me, Julius Evola. He's a fucker you'll never here about in college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola
>>
>>28268722

It's not possible.

Anything that you feel constantly, you will adapt to, it will become your baseline.

If you are some happy-go-lucky fag 100% of the time then it will be your baseline. You won't really feel "HAPPY" you'll just feel normal. But I suppose you'll appear happy.

Happiness is your brain rewarding/encouraging you to do something that is important for your survival. If you are experiencing something all the time then your brain doesn't need to encourage it, and you don't feel happy.
>>
>>28271505
I find it so funny when people on /fit/ ALWAYS go to low test. Do you even understand how uncommon of an occurrence that is in young males? I'd assume you're anemic before low test.

>fat stored on hips
genetics
>cloudy memory
depression/anemia/you don't fucking do anything interesting seriously tell me what you do thats interesting. If you went skydiving you'd fucking remember that
>always unhappy
anemia/depression
>constantly irritated
depression and anemia again buddy
>no facial hair
the big G, genetics you ass hat.
>>
>>28272670

>Do you even understand how uncommon of an occurrence that is in young males?

It's not uncommon. It is increasingly environmental, from xenoestrogens in water, food, etc.
>>
>>28272667
In that sense I think he means not unhappy all the time, with a fair amount of 'happy' stimulation.

I know what it's like to be happy, I can remember my childhood and preteen years.
>>
>>28263872

sugar addiction
>>
>>28267335
I quit for lent this year. 40 days no /fit/ no problem. But I wanted to come back, why? I felt lonely being off of it, it's almost like the people here are so much like me it's just a fantasy place. I have a hard time thinking people in normal life have similar struggles to me, so how can I feel comforted if I'm lost and confused via isolation? It's not so easy to just not come back here
>>
>>28272701
gotta read up on that then. However, all of these symptoms can be diagnosed as Genetics, depression, anemia, hypoglycemia and just being a boring old fuck
>>
>>28265496

>census in 2000 on left
>2013 election on right

lel you cherrypicking fag
>>
File: moe.png (67KB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
moe.png
67KB, 250x224px
i love you guys
>>
It is time to save this board

TONIGHT'S OFFICIAL SHITPOSTING THREAD
>>51520948
>>>/sp/51520948

Shitpost wildly in this thread to stress mods and let generals know they are not welcome on this board

Sweaty mandrama is protected by corrupt mods and janitors in exchange for a paper tiger support base for mods. A manufactured support, if you will
Both wwe faggots and mods know they belong on /asp/ but shelter them on /sp/ as a part of the redditization of 4chan for pass money

DRIVE THESE FAGS OUT
THIS IS THE WILL OF THE OUTLAW POPE AND NOBLE OUTLAWS
copy/paste this message to spread the word and gather the forces
>>
>>28272744
Dubs 4 truth.

You guys will know me better than anyone else I know. And that's only because you guys don't know me.

Hear this from a guy who cracked through that social anxiety, that awkward phase, dated several girls by now, got through Uni and now works a well-paying job with pretty good benefits (I know I'm basically boasting but I want this to illustrate my next point):

I will always want to come back here. Most of who I "am" is some derivation of this place. Nowhere else will be as comforting a place to be in as this place. Except maybe a pussy, but that's transient and ever-changing and subject to a terrible thing called mood. Or money. And that (by which I mean both things) makes me happy.
>>
>>28263872
because half of the new generation of americans don't have fathers to beat the sense into them
>>
>>28263889
>People getting constantly hammered with fabulous shit on facebook and twitter which makes people think they need to have celebrity lifestyles to be important, also lack of jobs and a general demystification of the world that has happened with the internet

This. Plus:

* Decades of media and advertising leaving people with the impression that their lives should be comparable to what they see on TV.

* Obsession with HAPPINESS instead of SATISFACTION.

Satisfaction leads to a feeling of fulfillment and, ultimately, happiness. All we do is obsess with how little we have, and mindlessly pursue 'happiness'. Ironically, almost none of us will ever be happy doing this.
>>
>>28264089
>>28264104

All of the 50+ guys I've talked to are adamant that people are significantly more attractive now than they were twenty and thirty years ago.

I would guess this is probably 50% improved dental care, 40% improved hygiene and makeup, and 10% surgical methods.
>>
File: anthony_edwards.jpg (16KB, 288x299px) Image search: [Google]
anthony_edwards.jpg
16KB, 288x299px
>>28264737
>Own a computer? There is no excuse to not be the next Bill Gates.

Bill Gates was in the right place, at the right time, and had the right environment.

He was in a wealthy neighborhood, where the parents got together and paid to rent time on a mainframe. I honestly doubt you can even imagine the time he lived in. The resources he had available to him, compared to the peers of his day, were absolutely stunning. Add to this that he came from successful parents, and had been in therapy since, I don't remember, the age of eight or something, and he was very, very much in a position to succeed.

Right place, right time, AND the right intellect and approach. You cannot ignore the place and time factor.

Look at Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook wasn't really at all innovative. The closest thing to innovation it provided was a cleaner interface, thanks to disallowing customization. Its advantage? It's single, sole advantage? Desirability thanks to exclusivity. The one and only reason Facebook succeeded is because it was limited to Ivy league kids. It was an exclusive club.

Hell, Facebook was utter shit for years. PHP written directly to production by schmucks with no idea what they were doing. ALL of Facebook's success is due to the environment in which it was conceived. Is Zuckerberg smart? Yes, very. Could any number of other people have created exactly the same service? Yes. Could others have created the same service WITH access to the same exclusivity? No, very few could have.

> Some 15 year old sold his app to Yahoo for 30 Million dollars a couple years back.

I guess you're talking about the 17 year old from England.

This is actually, by far, the most interesting example you've provided. The kid had initially demoed something similar at 15, a program that would trim articles into a brief summary. He may have been absolutely brilliant and invented an algorithm, or he may have just plugged in the right open-source library.
>>
>>28273253
This. I'm glad I was raised before hitting your kids fell out of fashion.

>90's kid master race millenials pls go
>>
>>28263872
I blame anime.
>>
>>28265107
>most of you are imprisoned in your mind
this makes sense. realising this and trying to find a way out are 2 different things though.
>>
>>28263872
because you and people on general who are alone like to be martyrs in their own lifes. once you stop it you are far better off.
>>
>>28265218
i'm not disputing the validity of what you are saying, i agree with you. but this is basically the same as the fight club pasta above.
>>
>>28263889
its only YOU who make it important, once you disrecard it, you start to feel better, but also other people will shit on you for being yourself, that is the time to be hostile towards them, ofc not like crazy hotile but insult them a bit and then forgive if they undetstand what they just did
>>
>>28263910
martyr feeling as fuck, stop that who ever agrees with this
>>
File: centuryoftheself.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
centuryoftheself.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
watch it
>>
>>28265691
>And the whole while you feel ridiculous, because there are literally people with no limbs who have it a million times harder than you, and they aren't being whiny little faggot bitches.

witnessing how the world works doesn't help you, i agree. seeing pictures of smiling kids who live on mumbai rubbish dumps while i sit in luxury just adds to my sense of wortlessness
>>
>>28267290
My hero is the crimson bolt from super and he did exactly the opposite of what regular heroes do
>>
>>28263872
Because people don't socialise anymore
>inb4 facebook
Let's say you're at a small gathering with 5 friends
3 of them are busy on facebook or other social media on their phones, looking down, half following the conversation and not really speaking unless spoken too, can you honestly say that this is social behaviour?

This is where depression from normalfags come from, a lack of social behaviour but the inability to recognize it because 'lel i am teh totally social look at all my online networking'

For NEETs, it's the fact that they don't really do anything, always looking for someone to distract themsalves with because if you do nothing with your life and you give your mind time to think about your life you will find out you're not happy about your life

For anyone else, it could be a combination of the two, but it usually comes from these two things;
A highly inactive social life or a very unproductive lifestyle
>>
Because we are genetic betas, we are betas who should been tapered off the genetic pool via survival of the fittest and natural selection. Instead of dying as nature intended western civilization has developed a model where we survive by default. Make no mistake, the odds are stacked against us, only the weak suffer from depression, we are weak, it's in our genes, we are the betas that should have died, we are beats for life.

Depression is a life long state of reality for us, it is the consequence we suffer for simply surviving and knowing and/or choosing to ignore the fact that we are walking and talking abnormalities that should not be alive today.
>>
>>28275085
If you are under 6 foot, if you cannot grow a beard, if you have trouble synthesising muscle mass as you lay dormant in your bed, if you have trouble with weight gain, if you don't have a narrow brow ridge, a wide jaw and a full thick set of hair, if you have trouble socializing, if you have issues with self confidence, if you have no idea what you want to do in life, if you are not financially independent, if you haven't moved out of home, if you're sad and depressed you are a genetic beta and you were not meant to survive. You are a proto type, an early version who failed basis tests, a bugged demo, etc. You exists only to support the thriving successful alpha species of human. You are sub human and you will fail at life.
>>
>>28273667
That's retarded logic. Why would someone not feel bad about a negative situation in his own life just because someone else has it worse?

Do you also go around telling people to stop feeling good about their accomplishments because others have walked on the moon or some shit?
>>
There are numerous reasons, some obvious, others under the surface. A strongly recurrent theme is drugs. A lot of people misuse and abuse drugs -- even cannabis -- and throw their brains and biochemistry off rhythm. This is often a cause of persistent depression and anxiety. Make running or any other cardio and meditation a part of your regular lifestyle and your depression and mental disorders can be largely alleviated -- even cured. But this should be coupled with drug and alcohol avoidance or tight moderation of it.
ascendexistence.com/running-and-meditation-the-only-drugs-you-need
>>
>>28275085
stfu
>>
Read the Unabomber manifesto. It will open your eyes...
>>
>>28267602

interdasting, I know I feel anxious, depressed and sometimes panicky because I spend my time alone in a tiny apartment surrounded by people I dont know. I am 30 years old, how do I into new friends?
>>
>>28272647
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola

haha, im reading about him now, fuck u college!
>>
>>28264369
thats because the high disparity ratess have a huge number of 0 income drug addicts/criminals anyway
>>
>>28263872
Because everyone was told they were a special snowflake growing up and when they realized they weren't they became "depressed".
>>
>>28269679
>cropped chinese porn cartoon
Literally nothing you say matters anymore.
>>
>>28264450
jk rowling was a 35 y/o single mother on the poverty line sitting on a train until she thought of harry potter.

now top3 richest women in the world.

>wright brothers say they can fly
>laughed at
>50years later we touch the surface of the moon

In 100 years we will have left the local galaxy
>>
>>28264469
this is stupid,

if I move 100,000 drug addicts/immigrants/uneducated pooor peple into your neighbourhood I will increase the inequality and the highschool dropout rate

irrc utah is a wealthy state, in that the average person is fucking rich, which means low inequality (high median net worth, low standard deviation) and so a low dropout rate.

But in new york, the median person is poor because actual poor people flock from everywhere to the city which raises the inequality and the dropout rate.
>>
>>28264520
this is stupid,

the average black/hispanic is 10x richer than the average white/asian person

they on average have 10 years more education and 20+ years life expectancy

The graph and "stats" show it like that because the immigrants from africa/mexico come in droves driving down the median.

5+ generations and the average black/hispanic is 10+X richer than the average white american.
>>
>>28263872
Because the world is shit.

Look at 10 years ago: People were trying to be sexy, everyone had money. Now? Now you can lose your job when you say "ninja" because some retards think it sounds like "nigger".
>>
>>28276502
Rowling plagiarized a shit ton.
>>
>>28264621
That means nothing when you're counting mexicans and blacks. If you're gonna compare the USA to European countries with European populations, it only makes sense to compare the US citizens of European heritage.
>>
>>28264013
>Not everyone will experience love, or joy, or fear
lol

Ok, maybe not autists, but autists aren't really human anyway.
>>
>>28268759
>6ft 130 pounds
He can get away bulking harder than that. When he gets to 180+ it's time to take it slow and do ~300 surpluses.
>>
File: 2262959235_063372efd2.jpg (152KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
2262959235_063372efd2.jpg
152KB, 500x326px
OP here. I was bummed out, but after some thinking I see the constant exposure to all these "expectations" isn't good for me. Take /fit/, for example.

In my circles I'm the strong guy. People I know were mirin' left and right how much mass I gained. Now if I come to /fit/ and post a photo in a CBT, I'm simply a DYEL fuck. The Internet and television opened up this dam of information on how other people live their lives and this is fucking us up. We see these "alphas" with bodybuilder bodies, square jaws, expensive cars and 11/10 girlfriends and we want to become like them, for some reason.

I watched too many movies and played too many videogames while I grew up. I wanted to become like my heroes. To be alpha. To be the protagonist. But I'm not them and they are not me. I will be the protagonist of my own story. I will stop comparing myself. I'll be the big fish in the small pond. This kind of ignorance is bliss. We are tribal animals. We can't be global citizens or global alphas. Our brains are not wired for this.

As I said, be more local. Get out of the Internet, stop wanking to those digital women, don't spend hours watching other peoples lives on Facebook. Look at your own family, friends and tribe. Limit your exposure to the outside world. Be content. We live in a time and place our ancestors could only dream of. Running water, abundance of food, security.

Be fucking grateful. Get out of /fit/ and go lay outside, feel the warmth of the sun in your face.
The Internet is just a tool, do not make it the whole of your life.
>>
>>28263872
Technology
Nihilism
Materialism
>>
>>28276596
>Now if I come to /fit/ and post a photo in a CBT, I'm simply a DYEL fuck.
That's because /fit/ is a bunch of grown men who behave like teenage girls. they are catty, they are jealous and they want you to fail.
People on here think that 7fit/ is the only ally they have in their autistic existence, but that's a mistake. /fit/ is the enemy.

>we want to become like them, for some reason.
Because /fit/ made you autistic, so you become narcisstistic and think "I am the best, why am I not the best, I need to be the best!"
And keep in mind that the people who advise you to become like this cannot even get a girlfriend and see it as a heroic feat to leave their basements for grocery shopping without shitting themselves from anxiety.
>>
>>28276648
I get it, man. Look at this fuck, for example.

>>28275927

Society, advertisement, TV, the Internet, whatever, made this guy's expectations so fucking high that even with all this shit he supposedly has, he can't get a fucking girlfriend. Elliot Rodger was the same. I'm also guilty of this shit from time to time.
>>
>>28270232
>shift from manufacturing to service based economy
>shift from export to banking center of the world
How is that chart disturbing? Of course it'd look like that given the change in standing of the USA through the century.
>>
>>28270232
Good point. However, I think there is more to it.

The standard diet has become progressively worse due to lobbying. That matters because before I god my diet in order I felt completely different. Once I started to get it right, it was like a permanent pain had been lifted from me. I believe most people are in constant non-specified physical pain at all times. People can't sleep or focus well, they procrastinate and oveerreact to small stressors.

There is no culture or community or even a value structure for people to follow. Now all we have is shit that has been sold to us, modern gods created by media. There is no one you can rely upon except maybe family, and there is no purpose nor is there a hope for a better tomorrow.

>>28263910
No, we are meant to be strong. Happiness is nature telling you that you are doing something worthwhile. Of course, if you have no value structure or anyone you care about, all you have is suffering.
>>
File: 1388186459223.png (288KB, 556x414px) Image search: [Google]
1388186459223.png
288KB, 556x414px
>>28276596
why are u trying to achieve so much ? just fap and have fun.
>>
>>28267081
Yeah, sure. People who are not organized, have no lobbying arm, significant amount of votes, any economic power or a grassroots organization are responsible.

It's certainly not the people who make all the decisions and hold all the power.
>>
>>28276648
/fit/ isn't the enemy

Toxic faggots who didn't make it and are trying to get people to not make it are
>>
>>28276804
Because hedonim does not make you happy. Chasing a worthwhile goal is the only thing that does.
>>
>>28275085
But women are depressed too. Infact more than men. Women's social hierarchy is different and there is very little selection pressure for them. So this claim makes no sense.

>>28275217
I think drugs are a symptom of a larger problem. For a lot of people they make the pain go away or make them feel normal for a while. A healthy human is no in pain nor sluggish and constantly stressed.
>>
File: 1390962450720.jpg (148KB, 980x720px) Image search: [Google]
1390962450720.jpg
148KB, 980x720px
>>28276840
i doubt that. i have zero goals in life (rich parents, got too much money, graduated from uni have a easy and stress freey job) and im happy as fuark.
>>
>>28263872
my theory is that people don't do satisfying work any more. most jobs are grinds that people suffer through just to get a paycheck. you'll never be happy/satisfied in that situation. fulfillment comes from performing actions for their own sake, not for the associated rewards. cultural and societal changes are luring more and more people away from that fulfillment, even though its easy to obtain.

>from attachment (to fruits of action) desire arises, from desire comes anger, from anger complete delusion, from delusion bewilderment of memory, from memory loss comes loss of intelligence
>>
File: 1723654-11-1380985797635.jpg (135KB, 700x445px) Image search: [Google]
1723654-11-1380985797635.jpg
135KB, 700x445px
I think the overachievers tend to get depressed. They either realize they cant' reach their goals, they disappoint when they reach their goals or they just stress too much of everything.

Take it easy.
>>
>>28276924
That is also very true, but it has always been like that. No matter what people say, JOBS SUCK. get it ? that is why they are called a JOB. not a hobby. Just grind it thru and don't think too much of it.
>>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2RX69Ff2Qs
>>
>>28276947
true, jobs and work in general have been the same forever. the difference is the mindset of the worker. it's much more common today for someone to have lofty desires and that leads to them feeling like they're being shorted somehow, that they aren't getting what they deserve. in reality, the only guaranteed reward for a job well done is a job well done. if you want something more then you should seek it directly. a lot of people expect their desires to be fulfilled automatically and without direct effort, when in reality they might not even meet their goals with concentrated effort. I think the fear of failure also plays a role in this
>>
>>28273620
>defending child abuse
fuck you man, my parents used to beat me for no fucking reason when I was a kid because my dad was going through depression and my mom is just nuts.
>tfw inherit psychological traits from parents
fuck I don't want to be a depressed fat crazy cat lady
>>
I come to /fit/ and I see the strongest and smartest men who ever lived ... I see so much potential and I see it squandered.....the middle children of history fighting a spritual war with our depressing lives..... raised by women and captivated with chasing a life with a gf ,massive gains and a great job.....yadayadayada......
>>
>>28277037
there's a huge difference between spanking and child abuse. the pain should not be the deterrent, but the transfer of your disapproval into a physical action. if you use a harsh tone and barely pat a child on the ass they'll still cry and it will stick in their memory as a stressful event. that's how they learn
>>
>>28277037
I think it's a balance, you know? A little smack once in a while if the kid behaves really bad.
It's unfortunate your childhood was like that, though, brother.
>>
>>28268758
That's pretty true. Back in the day you'd only see people in your town, average looking people. Maybe a few models if they read the newspaper.

Now you see ton of them on social media like facebook/twitter/instagram etc.
>>
>>28275217
Disagree. The most depressed I've ever been was during a time when I was running 60 mile weeks.
>>
>>28265336
Capitalist society is the only society around where "being anything" is remotely possible though, even if it is uncommon.
>>
>>28277087

Y'know I used to agree with this but: http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2014-12893-001/

Parents who use spanking overestimate its' effectiveness and underestimate how much they use it. I think that spanking could potentially work, but apparently most parents can't be trusted to enact it properly.
>>
>>28268109
I have a fear of public speaking. because of this I also have a slightly speech impediment problem. I tend to talk to fast when I get excited, so by the time I'm done talking I'm always all out of breath. People have told me it's no big deal, but it still fucks my self esteem.

This is why I'm so silent all the time

btw I really like that picture
>>
This thread has been pretty insightful, I'm surprised.

I'm inspired, I'm gonna delete Facebook and instagram apps off my phone and try to interact with the world more. I fucking love you my /fit/ brothers keep your chins up in this weary world
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.