[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kanye's Fashion Sense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

/mu/ here. Is Kanye's fashion choices (at any point in his career, but especially in the past 3-4 years) actually good? Is he to be taken seriously in the fashion world, or is his clothing career/choices, from his "high fashion" stuff to his Adidas Yeezys just…you know, without substance?

Personally, I found some of his stuff to be bland, others to be a bit more interesting. He's been on GQ and shit, hasn't he? (Your better trained/informed) opinions, /fa/?
>>
>>9811208
My GF says he doesn't pick out his own clothes.
>>
>>9811220
…is that an insult and a compliment at the same time?
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 620x496px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 620x496px
Kanye's status in fa is similar to his status on mu: he's a meme, and has his circlejerkers and haters. He definitely knows his fashion and he has some cool outfits, but like anyone else he shouldn't be copied exactly (s/o ktt and sufu).

That being said, his own products are shitty; that's the general consensus here at least. In the streetwear scene he's big and his sneakers are popular, but here they're looked down on. His previous collabs with APC weren't bad, but the line he's doing with Adidas will be overpriced hypebeast shit.
>>
>>9811208
his early fashion choices were bad, but within the context of rap and the industry they were at the very least different. in the past few years he's made a shift towards high fashion rather than the luxury and faux-luxury clothes that he more or less popularized within hiphop. again, he's spearheaded a trend within hiphop with high fashion as a sign of status. he obviously has some investment in the industry and its history but at the end of the day it's just another tool that he can use to market himself with.

he's not to be taken seriously within the fashion industry. his first venture into it was a hilarious flop and his most recent collection lacked any substance at all. he'll never be taken seriously in the industry as anything other than a consumer and a marketing tool.
>>
>>9811237
>he's made a shift towards high fashion rather than the luxury and faux-luxury clothes
Sorry for being a pleb here, but how is high fashion and luxury different? I can see how some of the expensive shit that leaks on to hip-hop culture is faux-luxury (presumably all those gold chain 2 Chains shit), but what's the difference between high fashion and luxury, as you're saying?
>>
>>9811250
it's a pretty meaningless distinction, i'm just trying to separate luxury parisian labels (gucci, d&g, lv, slp) from anti-fashion or avant garde labels (margiela, rick owens, so on)
>>
>>9811267
I think YSL would fit into the luxury parisian label category better than SLP ever since Hedi Slimane took it in a different direction.
>>
>>9811277
i disagree
>>
>>9811222
underrated post
>>
File: kanye_daft_punk_complex.jpg (113KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kanye_daft_punk_complex.jpg
113KB, 1440x1080px
>>9811208

>not posting Graduation era Kanye

def best era for Kanye, and I don't even like him that much in any regard
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>9811383
Eh, I just picked an image of google images that showcased a bunch of his styles/looks.

But yeah, sure. Graduation-era Kanye did have a distinctive look, at least as compared to early backpacker Kanye or later "I AM A GOD" Kanye.

What would /fa/ consider his style to be back then, in the Graduation era, then? Is there even a proper word or name for it?
>>
>>9811400

Probably not, and (no offense to you) I think /fa/'s general desire to categorize everything into some box is idiotic. That's how people end up looking like poser fools trying to emulate someone just being expressive. As you hinted at, the distinction is what I enjoyed about it. It's a nice balance of interesting and not giving a fuck while also not falling substantially into a specific categorical trend (though that part is more of a reflection of style at the time than of anything he can be given personal credit for). That being said, a lot of people who then wore similar styles of things almost never made it look good (pretty much anything you'd consider the fanboy take on his shutter shades style).
>>
>>9811411
>(no offense to you) I think /fa/'s general desire to categorize everything into some box is idiotic.
Eh, it's fine. I mostly ask because if there's a name to it, or certain other styles (with names) that strongly influenced it, I could learn about it by looking that name up.
>>
>>9811383
>2015
>manscarves
>being outlcassed by robots

he's the least effay person in that picture
also those iconic white shades were so dumb, just an eyesore to see out of them
>>
>>9811419

I mean, that I understand. I took it more as one of the constantly posted "what do you call this style??" thread, and this insatiable desire for specificity has pretty much become the calling card for how insecure people on this board are about whether or not they're making the "right" style decisions.

But in your case, I have no clue. Those scarves became popular (keffiyeh scarves) and so were a lot of flashy high tops and stuff idk. Any fashionable party from 2006-2009 will pretty much show you what you're looking for.
>>
>>9811427

DP is obviously cooler than Kanye by a million fucking miles. I just enjoy that photo in particular, though I agree on the shutter shades - they were pretty weak. Those ophthalmologist's fit-over shades though? dope as fuck. I guess it was his general experimentation with things that didn't (at least individually) look too autistic while simultaneously not being too much of one thing. I think it was his most unique, I guess.
>>
>>9811427
>being outlcassed by robots

Robot masks are effay now?
>>
>>9811236
I still lust after the Airport Sweater he put out with APC.
>>
File: 280i6fm.jpg (25KB, 629x408px) Image search: [Google]
280i6fm.jpg
25KB, 629x408px
808s era kanye is my favorite kanye
>>
hes
>black
>manlet
>ugly
>tasteless
>cretin

no he isnt fashionable, everyone in the industry thinks hes either a joke, nuisance or cash cow.
>>
>>9811520
What's so good about it compared to other stuff at the same price point? Don't get it at all.
>>
File: kanye.jpg (237KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
kanye.jpg
237KB, 500x700px
>>9811208

Everything he does is derivative. He's successful in music because people don't know who he's ripping off. In fashion he's laughed off the runway because everyone sees who he steals from. That's why he's stuck collaborating with a brand like Adidas. A real company like Nike lol'd in his face when he wanted more control and told him to GTFO, nigger. Adidas is desperate as fuck to try and gain market share from companies like Nike and the growing threat Under Armor, hence they allow damn near anybody to work with them. Sometimes it does produce interesting results, the rest of the time it's all of the stupid ass Yohji shoes as well as kanye's yeezy garbage. Kanye stole all of his adidas "originals" from helmet, raf, Book of Eli & Matrix wardrobe designers.

>he's never done anything original in his life, the fact that he was able to launch a successful music career pulling this shit is completely insane. consumers are ignorant so it worked. also his wife is a frumpy hobbit creature.
>>
>>9811540
Honestly I don't know, I just fell in love with it when I first saw it and haven't really come across anything similar enough that I like (haven't even really looked at alternatives).
>>
>>9811545

>this nikefaggot
>>
>>9811545
>He's successful in music because people don't know who he's ripping off.
As a /mu/tant, I'd disagree with you on that, but the rest of it, I wouldn't know. I'd argue with you further on the music point, but eh, this ain't /mu/ so let's not jump into the deep end on that one.
>>
>>9811555

I don't care for Nike, but look at the prices they command for a pair of polyester shit whatever compared to what their competitors charge.

Market Caps:
Nike $86B, Adidas $15B

Nike is almost 6x the size of Adidas in market cap alone.
>>
>>9811557

So I couldn't go and find a list of artists who sound existed before his records were released that are very similar to what Kanye "created"? Like I said, they aren't as well known, so it works. Ask /mu/ about it.
>>
>>9811545
>Kanye stole all of his adidas "originals" from helmet, raf,
yeah, a lot of the pieces are unabashed replicas but at least he acknowledges this in interviews. i'm just confused exactly what he was going for. he said he wanted to offer these things to people at a lower pricepoint but they ended up being more expensive than the genuine archival articles in virtually all cases. and this is coming a few years after the resurgence of interest in archive raf, helmut and to a smaller extent margiela. so you're left with a bunch of expensive replicas with nobody to market them to except nouveau riche hypebeasts. kanye is a tumblr kid fashion blogger with too much money
>>
>>9811574
Look, I just don't want to derail the thread.

And sure, there are people who fused soul and hip-hop to a large degree before him. Ye respects Dilla, for example (though they're kind of contemporaries, but Dilla IS the "King of Beats", after all). I know that. Part of the big deal (at least as I understand) of early Ye was that people weren't doing soul beats in the MAINSTREAM. But even then, especially with his newer stuff, nothing sounds exactly like it. People keep comparing Death Grips to Yeezus but that argument is honestly just bad.

…and look. The thread's getting derailed. If you want to argue about Ye's music being derivative, go start a thread on /mu/. I came all the way from /mu/ to talk about his fashion, don't make me talk about music here.
>>
>>9811577
>i'm just confused exactly what he was going for

…money?
>>
>>9811590
get back to me on that when it's on sales racks at 50% off
>>
File: kanye-west-shirtless-03.jpg (250KB, 1222x1160px) Image search: [Google]
kanye-west-shirtless-03.jpg
250KB, 1222x1160px
>>9811577
>kanye is a tumblr kid fashion blogger with too much money

i agree. it's just sad that now he's married to lord of the basic bitches, he might actually be successful in fashion. i just hope the fashion houses and designers keep mean mugging his shit and never let him get any traction, no matter how much money he wastes.
>>
>>9811548
Stephan Schneider's Pine sweater is better and cheaper, there was a white one on grailed like 2 months ago that sold for $165 but it also comes in grey
>>
>>9811599
Keep in mind musicians don't always make the best business decisions
>Jay and TIDAL

Sure, he might have failed in his ventures, but he could have just been thinking money first. Then again, who knows? Even if you fuck up sometimes, to get that rich presumably you have to know what you're doing most of the time, business-wise, at least. Perhaps he thought his name value was ultimately good enough when selling it.

Though even I remember people making fun of him for that $120 blank white "hip-hop" T-shirt.
>>
>>9811599

>made by immigrants in "Italy" for pennies on the dollar
>charge $1500 for a jacket or sweater or whatever
>on sale for $750
>still profit $725 dollars

There's a reason selling clothing is more profitable than selling oil.
>>
>>9811602
>lord of the basic bitches
Look, I do enjoy his music and as far as I'm concerned, I have no problem with KimYe at all, but damn, that made me laugh.
>>
>>9811236
>Kanye's status in fa is similar to his status on mu: he's a meme, and has his circlejerkers and haters.

So…where are the circlejerkers? Are they just not up at this time of night/morning, or what?
>>
>>9811220
At the very least he very publicly is known to be styled by virgil abloh, it's the only reason pyrex / off-white are so successful.

Most celebrities dress themselves during non-events though and I bet him and Virgil discuss styling so I'm sure some of his looks are of his own creation. He certainly seems to care enough about clothing for that to be the case.
>>
>>9811607

He's doing it because he's delusional, he literally thinks he is a creative genius. He thinks because he can take three characteristics from existing shoes he's synthesizing originality. He has been rewarded for doing this in the past so thats what he thinks "creating" is.
>>
>>9811208
i like his more recent collabs but to me if you buy his shit you are just as bad as the white suburban kids buying golf wang shit.
>>
>>9811617

his personal stylist is some asian lady, she was on tv when they were revamping kims wardrobe. my old roommate used to watch the show [grill].
>>
>>9811616
as recently as a few weeks ago there were semi-regular kanye threads
>>
>>9811623
I'll believe it, I bet Kanye has a whole team designing his and Kim's appearances at major events. Abloh is well known as a major associate of kanye's though and they work together on outfits.
>>
>>9811629

Ya but i don't think Abloh is involved in his day to day stuff. Apparently Kanye is curating Kim's clothing now, which there hasn't been a noticeable improvement in with the except of a couple fits. If you saw her Met ball gown, you'll see she dresses like shit considering how much time, effort and money is put into it. But really her ass is the worst, Kanye needs to be the alpha and make that bitch stop getting ass injections, it's making her comical and it completely ruins any aesthetic she had. But being a 5'4 hobbit she really never had a chance at being aesthetic, unlike Kendall who has an actual model body. Hence her gimmicks, a ridiculous ass shaped by syringe full of fat & a sex tape.
>>
>>9811622
>you are just as bad as the white suburban kids buying golf wang shit.
Aren't those…A LOT worse?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.